Blessed: The Abandoned Wife

By misttressofseas

Their arranged marriage ended six years ago.... then who is her daughter....is it her daughter or his as well... More

Characters Introduction
Reining in the Chaos
Meet-a-friend
Un-Accountable Encounter!
Time Out
Looking for a Frog
Honeymoon Tours and Travels
Song of the heart
Running into you!
The Return
Growl...
What kind of marriage?
Proof
Answers and Questions
Vee and Dee
Coffee Date
Dyuti's father?
Investigation begins
Primate, horses and a bat?
Making of a Match?
Il-'logical' choice?
They tell him...
Aftermath

Slap

1.4K 33 6
By misttressofseas

The room was well-appointed. It was a doctor's chamber, and he knew that his friend had done well in the medical field to deserve it. They might have been born with a golden spoon, but it was the years of hard work and dedication that had allowed his friend to head the cardiology department in this famous hospital. At one end, there was a huge desk with multiple screens and loads of files scattered around. At the opposite end was a comfortable couch where he was sure his friend had spent many a night resting from marathon surgeries.

Behind the couch, on the wall, was a collage of photos from childhood till now, and as expected, he featured heavily in them. The third wall did not exist; instead, it was a full-length glass window that allowed you to see a quarter of the city, if not more. He was looking out and staring at the horizon when he heard the door open and footsteps behind him.

'She is thankful for your support. She wants to thank you personally for it.' The doctor said. 

'There are perhaps a hundred kids that the foundation has supported in the last few years.'

'Yes, but somehow I feel a connection with her...you know the hole in her daughter's heart is in the same location as your sister's...'

'Ohh is it? Then how come she survived?'

'It was a risk that we took; I used some of the latest techniques.'

'You have moved on from an absent-minded professor to a miracle doctor.' He was smiling at his friend. 

'I can never forget all that bullying in school and your support. My life is more settled now, though.' The doctor sounded happy. 

'Glad to hear it. Your return to India has been helpful for our charity work.' It was great to have a doctor friend helping the foundation from a medical perspective, not that they needed any financial support. 

'Yes, you can say that... there might still be loose ends to tie.... but this should improve the chances of others as well.' The doctor was still thinking of the medical aspect of the case. 

'Hmm....that is why we created the foundation a few years back....'

'Yes, and I am happy to be associated with it.... helping mothers like her...'

'Somehow, I feel you are less interested in the child and more interested in the mother.' The friendly banter started, and it seemed the years between them just rolled off.

The doctor answered with a crooked smile. 'Well, she is a divorcee, and it seems it was a very bitter divorce. She is off men; I can tell you that.'

'So, you tried...?' his eyebrow quivered, and a smile played on his lips, he could not resist  teasing his friend.

'Ohh I cannot even think of it...she came through Manya's reference. I, for one, want my marriage to happen.' The doctor clutched his white coat while looking his friend in the eye.

'Then she is not to be bothered about...'

'Not really, she is beautiful enough to tempt a man....no guarantee for a monk though.' The doctor was smiling again, teasing his friend back.

'I am not a monk either, not sure why you keep accusing me of that crime.' His arms were now crossed on his chest and a smile played on his lips, enjoying the banter. 

'You have not married, and forget marriage, I do not even hear of a long-term girlfriend.' The doctor argued. 

'Ohh it seems my love life is cursed....' He tried to be dramatic. 

'Do get some jhaad phoonk (exorcism) done.'

'Coming from a medical man, a scientist like you...I cannot believe you are asking me to get an exorcism done...' he feigned as if he was not able to believe what his friend said. 

'You cannot seriously believe that all life came from some Carbon atoms partying together?' The doctor was trying to control his laughter.

'Coming from you this is a shock at a seismic scale!' Hand to his heart, it was an enjoyable banter, and he was glad to have returned to India to the warmth of friends and family. 

'Ohh I have come a long way. I even convinced Manya to be my wife.' Doctor's eyes were twinkling. It was an achievement and both of them knew it.

'Everyone knows that Manya is the one who decided to marry you and met your mother! And now they both are planning the marriage.' The banter continued.

'Why do I smell jealousy!' The doctor sniffed around.

'Your nose is blocked!' he poked the doc's nose.

'Finally! This is known as the revenge of the nerd. I have an amazing practice and a wife on the way. While you...' The doctor was cut off before he could have the last word.

"While I need to get jhaad phoonk done in my love life.' His friend was smiling thinking that the genius in front of him was finally healed from the years of bullying at school and college.

'Anyway, I must run! I will be back in 10 minutes, and in case she comes, just accept the thanks nicely.' The doctor ran out of the room.

'Yes, sir.' He mock saluted his friend, happy for his good fortune. The doctor left, and he resumed looking through the photos on the wall and reliving the childhood memories of them growing up together. Such a sweet time. His back was turned, and there was a knock on the door. He could hear someone open the door and walk in. The hair on his neck stood up as if he instinctively knew who it was; he was in too much of a shock to turn around.

'I understand that you are the sponsor for Dyuti's operation. I wanted to say thanks for your support. You saved my daughter's life.' She said simply trying to calm her intuition down. Her inner sight was screaming 'danger' and waving big Red flags. But still, civility demanded that she thank this gentleman. Dressed in a jacket and jeans, his back to her, he seemed harmless, just like any other well-to-do man. Five minutes of gratitude cannot be harmful, or can it be? She waited for him to turn around and when he did, her mouth fell open. Her intuition was not warning her enough.

'I am not happy to be of help- in this case, I inadvertently helped your...daughter?'

'Yes, she is my daughter.' She somehow collected herself.

'I never thought the allegations were true, but now you have proven them beyond doubt.' He was staring at her simple, orange-colored Kurti and pants. He was sure that she had lost some weight; she looked thinner but somehow radiant. He should not be thinking of all this.... Her question brought him back to reality.

'What allegations?' She was surprised. 

'How old is this daughter of yours?' What is there to act so surprised he thought. Simple questioning will prove his accusation. 

'Five years.' She answered in a clipped tone. 

'And...is the father...that same man?' He asked. 

'Same man?' 

'The man you were two-timing me with - your boyfriend!' He thought it weird that she sounded confused and needed all this explanation. 

'What are you talking about!' She was at the end of the patience. 

'Don't feign ignorance! And I can say I am glad that he also left you! Or were you two-timing him as well? And was it because he was not sure who the father of the child was?' His words were sharper than a sword.

She slapped him hard. He was shocked, never expecting this behavior. He was the aggrieved party, and she was acting as if he had insulted her. He was sure she had betrayed him in more ways than one. But before he could react, she had walked to the door. She stopped at the threshold for a minute, composed herself, turned around, and said, 'Stay away from me and my daughter.' And then she walked out.

==================================================

Authors Note:

Welcome, readers! 📖

I hope you enjoyed diving into the first chapter of  this book. I'm eager to hear your thoughts and reactions so please share your views and predictions in the comments below – your feedback means a lot! 

Next chapter- We will know the names :) and some more.....

Happy reading! 🚀✨

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 91.4K 52
Naina was an orphan with so many dreams. But had to give up those dreams due to fate. When she was forced to marry India's youngest billionaire, she...
763K 48.5K 44
The world lays at his feet but his world is her. The king bows to no one except his queen. ☆°•°☆☆°•°☆ " How could I want anyone else when I am only b...
288K 11.1K 26
"You still love her? What do you mean by that? you love her when you are the cause of her sorrow? you love her? don't forget the fact that you were...
1.3M 49.2K 37
.... am I that bad to be loved, wanted. I am an unwanted daughter, now i will be an unwanted wife. God what's your problem. Why am i so unwanted in t...