TENACITY

By NiqueInk

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky * Alexandra's life was a portrait of contentment... More

COVER PAGE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S FINAL NOTE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

148 14 0
By NiqueInk

Monday, August 8, 2016
Trey's House

26 weeks...

Alexandra let out a deep breath when Samuel stopped right at the address she'd given him. "You're sure you don't mind waiting for me?" she asked. "I'm not sure how long it would take."

"Take your time ma'am. If for any reason I have to leave, I'll let you know." She nodded and went to unbuckle her seat belt as he got out of the car. She opened her door and allowed him to help her out, trying to be extra careful considering she wasn't supposed to be walking. 

She gave him a grateful smile and walked into the building; head held high. When she got to the reception of the firm, she stopped. "Hi, I'd like to see Mr. Munson, please."

The receptionist smiled brightly. "Hello. Do you have an appointment?"

"No but let him know that Alexandra Greene is here."

The receptionist looked her over, deciding she was someone who meant business and wouldn't lower herself to be one of Munson's women. She looked savvy and business-like in a very pale pink body-hugging dress with block heels of the same color. Her white blazer and bag just added to the look. For a pregnant woman, she sure looked sharp.

Alexandra cleared her throat, well aware of the reason for the receptionist's look, then pulled her glasses down her nose to peer over the top. "So, Mr. Munson?"

"Right," the receptionist answered, looking flustered. "I'm sorry." Alexandra nodded, waiting patiently as she made the call. When she set down the receiver, she looked a little embarrassed that she didn't know who the woman in front of her was.

Alexandra realized that and saved her the hassle. "Can I go up?"

"Of course," she said immediately, nodding vigorously. "He's on the second floor, last door on your right."

"Thank you," Lexi said, pushing her shades back up. She had always hated it when people gave her respect because she was Trey's wife. But she didn't get why it should apply now; they were divorced in the public eye.

Right. Trey had also told the whole world that the divorce had been a front—in other words, they were still together.

She rode the elevator to the second floor, getting off when it paused. She strode down the hallway, flashing a smile at the secretary before proceeding to the last of the four doors on the right. She knocked, going in when she received a 'come in'.

She entered, closing the door behind her. "Ah, Ms. Greene or should I say Mrs. Robinson? Looking stellar as always."

She got that same uneasy feeling she had always felt in his presence. "Mr. Munson, as creepy as always. I hope you're not still a pedophile else I'll have to sue you," she added casually, trying more to boost her confidence than scare him.

"Yes, throwing your status in my face." His eyes raked her body, but she stood still and confident. "What brings you here after years?"

"You know exactly what Philip," she replied, wanting nothing but to escape. "Hand over what I'm owed."

"I thought you didn't want it," he taunted. "You said you were better off without their expectations and the money they slaved off for."

She kissed her teeth in distaste. "You know, I wonder who gave you the license to work as an attorney, because you're terrible at your job. You're a creep, a no-good lowlife who doesn't know how to separate business from personal pleasure.

"Try anything stupid and you won't be working again for the rest of your life," she spat, taking off the shades so he could see clearly the hate in her eyes. "Give me whatever documents I have to sign and have everything transferred into my name before tomorrow. Is that understood?"

He stood for a moment, his jaw ticking. She held so much power that she wasn't the little girl she'd been next to her parents. She was grown up and was pregnant with the child of an influential man. He didn't dare play games with her.

He nodded, then used one of his keys to open a drawer which held one of his safes then keyed in the code. "Have a seat."

"Thank you."

"Your parents left this too," he said, passing her an envelope. "Your mother said it was a letter explaining something." A little curious, she ripped open the envelope and unfolded the paper.

Love,

If you're reading this, it means we died without fixing this 'thing' between us. Such pathetic parents we are for that. I want you to know that we love you very much Marie, and genuinely thought we were doing what was best and now I know it wasn't.

But I still want you to understand where my request was coming from.

I know what it's like to grow up poor and to run or hide every time the debt collectors came around; the many times I had to lie my parents weren't available to avoid disgrace, and I didn't want that for you.

I saw how much you loved to paint, but I thought it a distraction because I had no idea if it could make you enough money to take care of yourself. That's why I wanted you to study business and take the reins of our restaurants while managing our other business investments when you grew up.

I don't think I ever told you this, but you're a wonderful artist. I saw the portrait you made of your dad and I—I even grumbled at how stuck up you portrayed us, but it was the truth. You had the ability to capture the essence of a person and all their traits in just one painting, and a skill of that sort is marvelous.

I'm sorry I didn't support you, and several times I almost reached out but gave up every time because I was a coward. Still, I kept tabs on you and saw how you strived to work to pay off your bills and the loans you took. . . you were ready to take on life, and it was sad to see my baby all grown up. I was proud of you then, and I still am now.

Of course, I heard of the pregnancy, but so far as he did right by you and truly loves you, I'm okay with it. I might not get the chance to see my grandchildren, but that's okay. I hope they get to know about us someday. We, as your parents, didn't treat you right, so I'm glad you're finding happiness elsewhere.

It actually broke my heart to find you had set your love for art aside, and I want you to know that I'm sorry if I was the one who made you feel like doing art was useless and unnecessary. The world needs to see your talents and I wish I could be there to help and support you in bringing them out.

That is why your father and I have willed everything to you instead of to your cousins as we threatened (they were nothing but empty words I promise). Use it as you like—change one of the vacation houses into a gallery, pay for college tuition if you wish to go further. . . anything your heart desires.

We hope you find it in you somewhere to forgive us, let go of the grudge, and move on. Enjoy your life and whatever blessings you have with your husband—be it in the form of children, more happiness, more love or more wealth.

Much love,
Your mom.

She folded the paper, sighing as she rested her hand atop her enlarged belly. Much as she hated to admit it, she had forgiven her parents already. And Trey really had made her happy for the longest time.

Yes, he'd believed someone else over her. But he had been working every day to prove he wasn't going to make that mistake again. She was going to forgive Trey, she decided, just as she had her parents, even though trusting him fully would still take time.

Besides, holding grudges wasn't good for her health anyway, so it was time to let go of the past and move on.

*

The first question Trey had asked when she'd gotten back to her room was 'where did you go?' He didn't ask it in a rude way, almost as if he was scared she would blow up.

A ping from his phone told her he'd gotten a notification, and she lingered around her room while he checked it. "Why do I have the exact amount I paid off as your debts deposited into my account by your name?"

She didn't answer, turning her back to him as she smiled a little. "Can you help me with my zip?" He lifted a brow at how expertly she'd ignored the question. Still, he pulled down the zipper.

"Are you going to answer my question?"

"Because I felt like it." She shrugged, letting her dress and bra fall off. She wasn't going to bother hiding what he'd seen already from him.

"You felt like it?" he questioned, struggling to focus on what they were talking about and not on how perfectly rounded her stomach was, carrying his children. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that I wanted to repay you."

"I didn't do it for you to repay me." He sounded frustrated, his eyes raking her body again.

She wrapped a towel around herself and walked into her bathroom, Trey hot on her tail. "It didn't sound like that when you were throwing it in my face a couple of months ago in your office."

"It was to stall for time! And I'm terribly sorry." He'd known it'd been terrible to use those to stall, but to the point where she felt she had to repay. . . "I'll send it back to you."

"No need," she told him with a brief smile, turning on the tap to fill the bath. "It will keep being sent back till you accept it, so save yourself and the bank the trouble."

He pulled her to him by the waist. "Why are you being like this?"

"I wonder why. Do you know?" she asked innocently, tapping her chin.

"Stop this," Trey told her, giving her waist a squeeze. "Please, I don't want to take money from you."

She sighed. "You do realize I'm not from a poor family, right?"

"And whose fault is it that I've thought that all along?"

She scoffed. "I just didn't introduce you to them because I wasn't speaking to them at the time. I wasn't the perfect daughter, so they disowned me."

"That's why you and my sister clicked just fine," he muttered, wondering why he hadn't been told this till now.

"Well yes," she agreed slowly. "I took up loans to pay for my fees, knowing that when I came of age, my trust fund would be given to me whether they liked it or not. But you swooped in first. So, the least I could do is repay the debts like I planned to."

"I see," he murmured, nodding slowly. "I only found out they were rich when I looked into their deaths for the exposé."

She pushed out of his hold to turn off the taps. "I'm in no way richer than you, but I don't like the idea of owing someone. So please take the money and let's start over."

He was quiet for so long, but when he spoke, he sounded pained. "I don't want you to pay back something I did out of love. But is this really what you want?"

"Yes," she answered without hesitation.

Trey nodded. "Then allow me to take you out on a date. Let's start from there."

"A date?" She paused, then smiled, a light blush coating her cheeks. "When?"

"Could be any day between this week and the next. Just be ready," he responded, leaning in so his mouth was close to hers. "You in?"

"Yes," she whispered breathlessly. Trey stepped back with a satisfied smile, knowing she loved things like that.

"See you around, Lexi."

He walked out, leaving her pouting because he hadn't kissed her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 4.8K 46
A short story in which he finally realises that he needs to let her go... #127 in Short Story - 25.02.17 Copyright © 2017 @_illuminating All Rig...
6.1K 377 28
Rose and Prince Edward's love and marriage defy all laws. He is of noble blood and she is a commoner whose parents left her at a temple when she was...
104K 1.4K 51
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
275K 9.7K 36
Rhea had the perfect life. She found the love of her life just before graduating from University and built a relationship that lasted a lot shorted t...