Puppets and Puppeteers

By axlcgomes

In the world of nobility, daily life is ruled by power struggles. In this setting, even marriage is just a wa... More

Chapter I - Proposals
Chapter II - Contract Marriage
Chapter III - Planning Ahead
Chapter IV - Theory and Practice
Chapter V - Perceptions
Chapter VI - Bed Talk
Bonus: Royal (Scevola) Family Tree
Chapter VIII - Hidden Feelings
Bonus: Noble Houses of Glæma
Chapter IX - Business
Chapter X - Past, present and future

Chapter VII - Family Business

5 1 0
By axlcgomes

When Cerys received the letter from her sister, she was ecstatic. She wouldn't stop talking about it, wondering how her sister got married and she couldn't even see her dressed as a bride. And then she got depressed, said it was all her fault because she left her family and now her sister probably resents her. Next, she started to badmouth her father, babbling about how he probably made Astrea marry some old weirdo.

"We need to go there now!", she screamed one day. "Rikka, we must go right now! What if we get there too late and Astri decides never to talk with me again?"

"Love, she said that everything is okay. And even if we wanted to, we can't leave here today. We need to put everything in order before going anywhere".

"So, we must work fast! I will get my suitcase ready!"

It didn't matter that it would take us weeks until we could leave the manor, and the journey itself would take almost a week. When the lands of the country were divided, the dukes took the cardinal points and the marquises the collaterals. Hence, we have the four dukes: Vilhjálmr in the north; Rhydderch in the West; Etxeberria in the East; and Conwenna in the South. The four marquises are: Arud, northwest; Argyris, southwest; Zubizarreta, southeast; and us, the Laukkanen, in the northeast. According to the letter, Astrea's husband, the third prince, kept the royal's summer mansion that is between the Conwenna and Argyris's dominium. Basically, we'll have to cross the country to get there. Try to explain that to your wife who hasn't seen her baby sister in eight years.

"Bowen! Let's go see auntie Astri?", she asked our six-year-old.

"Who?" Bowen looks a lot like Cerys, but his personality is mine. His serious face makes him look like an adult, not a young child.

"Aunt Astri, I told you about her". She answered childishly, as if his comment broke her heart.

"Doesn't she live on the other side of the country? Mom, are you planning on running there or doing something inconsequent again?", sometimes, our kids were too mature.

"You're no fun, Bowen".

It took a while to make her calm down and come to terms with the fact that we couldn't leave everything and go to the other side of the country. And on the way there, she acted like a kid with the typical "are we there yet?". However, when we arrived, she was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep. She later felt frustrated because she didn't give her sister a big hug. I already came to terms with the fact that my wife is a big ball of emotions, but she still makes my life a pleasurable unpredictability.

"Love, let's go to sleep. You can just give her an even bigger hug tomorrow".

"Okay, but just because I'm basically asleep already".

However, when she saw her sister the next day, she was uncapable of saying anything. I looked as she politely saluted her sister, in a distant and extremely formal way. I could see that she just wanted to throw away all that formality and jump into her sister's arms, but she contained herself. We talked about this before, how she felt guilty for leaving her family, for abandoning her mother and sister to deal with a toxic and narcissistic father. But I could see in her actions that Astrea was much like her sister, be it her temper or personality. Cerys is much more bubbly and more enthusiastic, but they are both smart and stubborn women, with strong opinions about what they want and what they hate. And both want to just hug each other.

When we arrived, Cerys main concern was her sister's sudden marriage. Although Astrea tried to explain in her letter, Cerys was still not sure. Even in her sleep I could see her exclaiming get away from her. Cerys grew up in the Conwenna household, but she has been in the cold of the Laukkanen territory for almost a decade. Beyond her frilly exterior, she was fierce and overprotective. I could see her fight a terror and win.

The next day, the maids called us for breakfast. We all sat at the table together, but not even the kids dared to speak. Repeatedly, I saw the sisters make a move trying to strike up a conversation. They never succeeded. However, I took my time to observe how the newlywed couple behaved to each other. It was normal for them, as hosts, to sit at opposite ends of the table; still, they chose to sit as close as possible. The expression on their faces was of joy when they looked at each other, and I saw their anxiety diminish with proximity.

After that, the maids took the kids away to a playroom and the hosts invited us for a walk. The prince asked me to keep him company in the office, since the chair made it difficult for him to go through the fields. I understood that he also wanted to let them have some time alone to deal with their own issues.

"Thank you, your majesty", I expressed.

"For what?" He asked.

"For understanding the situation and letting them solve it all by themselves".

"I don't know as much about the situation as you do, and I've just recently met Astrea. Still, there are some things I must understand her conditions and pay attention to her needs if I want to have a good relationship with her. And she needs to talk to her sister. I'll not try to convince you of my feelings or something like that. I believe it is neither the time nor place for it".

"Well, speaking as in-laws and husband to two strong willed women, I know that no matter what I do, they are the only ones capable of solving their own problems". I answered.

"Agreed".

"And they will never solve it if they don't talk about it."

"And they will never willingly talk about it by themselves".

"Yes. But, right now, all we can do is give them the opportunity to talk it out. I'll try my best to give them as many chances as I can". The prince said, expectantly.

"I'll do the same".

For an outsider, this conversation was a simple interaction between in-laws. However, with a few lines you can establish a pattern of behavior, loyalties and ideals. With his positioning, he wanted to prove himself as a reliable and loyal husband, and that he would stay at his wife's side and help her in every aspect she could. My relationship with my wife is famous among nobles, and the public deemed us the "ideal couple"; hence, by putting himself as a good and trustworthy husband, he wanted to gain my confidence. His efforts, nevertheless, were not empty and, even though I understood the objectives behind his words, I could also sense honesty.

"Can we talk a little about business?", he asked.

"Sure". Let's see his true face, beyond those pleasantries, I thought.

"And, since we are family, I'd advise you to talk without formalities, if possible".

"If you wish".

"As you may expect, there are many reasons for requesting your presence. You have already been notified about the meeting with the Amin Trade Company. Also, the Moonrise Caravan is arriving tomorrow and shall join us for dinner. They alerted us of their visit just before your arrival, so we couldn't tell you in advance".

Moonrise was not well-known by the great public, and few people had their contact; even fewer could work with them. If they got them in the game, the counterpart they would ask for should be big.

"We are family now, at least on paper, aren't we? You can get straight to the point".

The higher the stakes, the higher my apprehension. I wondered how much they would ask, and how much control they would have over us after it.

"Well, there are many things we need to talk about. Even if I try to be direct, I can't. But if you want, I can summarize it in four points. Firstly, we are very interested in the Laukkanen and your exports. You are responsible for all the mount for the army, but you receive no recognition for your efforts. Most of my life belonged to the military. I know the state of our troops and how they are treated by the Kingdom, especially the nobles. Although, according to the words of our First King, the army should be a meritocracy, only nobles can become officials and rise to high positions. As an abandoned prince, I joined as private, like a regular commoner. We barely had any rations, and all equipment was old and caused more damage to the users than the enemy".

"I'm aware of it. The North is a war-state territory, where life itself is harsh. The Kingdom doesn't allow us to use the troops to keep us from the monsters, so our people became soldiers. As a militia, we are neither organized nor properly equipped. The only time we got to team up with proper soldiers, we realized their situation was not much better. And the Laukkanen don't have enough power or influence to impact either of the situations".

The Northeastern territories had a bad relationship with the King. The horse trade we had with the military was seen as the great achievement of the Laukkanen, but we were constantly operating at a loss. The King pressured us for lower prices and sabotaged our business with other contractors. We became extremely dependent on the trade with the military.

"I want to change that. The Amin family is strong not only in the Shah Empire but has ensured a trade route through more than fifteen countries. The Glæma Kingdom has maintained a protectionist and nationalist position for too many years, at the cost of our best enterprises. Our market has no place to grow. With the Amin at our side, we can expand the commerce of your horses, while guaranteeing some great sources of produce that is not controlled by the government".

"You want to open a trade route with the Shah Empire and use the Laukkanen as a pawn in this operation?"

"You hate this idea?"

"Not completely, but we have much to consider. The King is the biggest defender of that position, the protectionist and nationalist estate, and has blocked any venture with a diverse objective. The Laukkanen family already has a terrible relationship with the King Ambrosi, and none of the biggest houses will agree to this".

"The King Ambrosi, my father, is a man. He will die, and another will take his place". He smiled when he said that.

"And you wish to be that one?"

"Well, that was supposed to be the last topic in this conversation. But yes. That is the final objective".

"And you want the Laukkanen to support you?"

"Yes. And that's why I would like to, firstly, strengthen the Laukkanen, and the Falk and Järvinen, if possible. At this moment, Astrea must be having a similar conversation with your wife. The Amin Trade and Moonrise Carvan are just one in a list of powerful partners we have internationally. Although I'm no longer highly regarded as I was as a General, I still have some great contacts in the military and noble families. Also, I oversaw all the negotiations when I was the Second General. I may not seem much right now, but I have a lot to show, not only to you, but this country".

"I'm not the kind to judge people by appearances. There is a custom in the northeastern houses that is poorly regarded by the rest of the country. However, we are extremely proud of it. The house heads will adopt children with great aptitudes, regardless of gender or social positioning, and make them prospectus with equal chances of becoming the heir. I was one of those kids. I grew up weak, malnourished and had no formal education. But I was also smart, with a talent for fighting, hunting, and negotiating. With no family to take care of me, I was an orphan living in the streets when my parents, Marquis Calle Laukkanen and Marquise Ritva Järvinen, adopted me and raised me with their children. I was taught to see the potential, even when no one else can. From what I see, your plan may be a good one. Still, I have my doubts. It's my duty to protect my people, my land and, above all, my family. If somehow you put any of them at risk, then I must refuse".

"I understand, and I'll do my best so all of you are safe and prosperous. My plans may seem hasty, and my objectives delusions. But I no longer want to see this country in the hands of foolish people like my father. People with no regard to whom they hurt and who they make suffer, if they can gain more power. The northeastern territory is just one of the many areas who suffered at the hands of a terrible government".

"Okay, so tell me what the second topic is".

"Thank you for letting me go back to my line of thought".

"Well, I'm interested. I'm also tired of the foolishness".

"If my first objective is to strengthen the Laukkanen by expanding its market, my second is to increase and diversify the product. The Amin family works with horses, but also camels and some magical beasts. The Moonrise Caravan is even more daring, focusing on taming wild beasts and researching their use. With this exchange of knowledge, we may also solve one of the problems of the North: the wild monsters".

"That is really a hard job, if not impossible. But, if you accomplish that, you will win not only the Laukkanen, Falk and Järvinen favor. And, I guess, that's your objective: the Vilhjálmr".

"Correct. And thus, we enter our third topic. Astrea told me that we could trust you, so we'll disclose everything. At this moment, the princess must be sharing this information with Marquise Laukkanen. Our marriage was not like other couples, being an aberration even among nobles. Our parents have planned a political marriage between the two of us, a way to not only strengthen the royal palace and the second prince, but to get rid of two hindrances, a.k.a. Astrea and me. Neither of us wanted that."

I expected theirs not to be a regular marriage, considering the timeframe and the parts involved. But as it seemed, it was even more complicated. As I gathered my thoughts, the prince asked for a second and went to a cabinet. When he got back, he had a handful of papers that he put on the table in front of me.

"Those are copies, and some things have been omitted to guarantee our privacy. The main parts are still there, and you can get the general picture. We cut our relations with both our houses, while maintaining all the benefits and properties. We know how the duke treated your wife, his daughter, before she fled, and how he administered the house leading it to bankruptcy. The state we live in is rotten, and we can't keep these rotten apples among the healthy ones, otherwise all the batch will become putrid. None of us want that. You may examine this for as long as you want, but you can't take this document away from this office. Although it's a copy, its content is still sensible and must be confidential, at least for the time being".

"Understood. If you could wait a few minutes, I would like to dutifully examine these before we continue this conversation".

"Of course. I will ask for some tea. Don't worry, our discussions will be private, nonetheless. All the servants who attend this room are of the highest esteem and trust. You can talk freely with them around, and no word will get out".

After he said that, a man, tall with shoulder length black hair and wearing round glasses, got inside. The prince introduced him, Itzal, and commanded him to serve us tea. The beverage had floral and citric touches and was smooth on the tongue.

"I imagine this was brought by the Amin family, wasn't it?", I asked.

"Yes. The Amin Family will join us for dinner, you can ask them about it later. They say it's one of the main exports from the Shah Empire. Although they don't produce it directly, they are on good terms with the producers and use the same trading routes. Sometimes, they even work together". The prince said while taking a sip.

"You don't need to convince me to join your plan of a commercial route with the Shah Empire".

"I don't?", he asked, sarcastically.

"I'm already convinced. I still need to discuss that with Cerys, since she is the one in charge of finances. But I believe she will agree".

"That's good". He smiled.

When I finished reading the contract, I understood the situation a little better. The prince pointed out that the idea was initially Astrea's, but they talked about every detail together. It was ambitious, but gave us – somehow, I already considered myself an ally – a head start in the fight for the throne. The second prince was the apparent heir only because the King favored him; otherwise, he would be irrelevant. He was born with high-level mana, but it stabilized as an adult; his technique was high for a noble, but only regular compared to a fighter; his fighting technique was only basic, and he had no military accomplishments to back him; he married early and had many kids to inherit his position. In conclusion: he was a regular noble, spoiled and with no real-life knowledge. Compared to the Vilhjálmr and Laukkanen, houses that were proud of the warriors they generated, the second prince was underwhelming.

The first prince was also a bad bet. He was born with medium/low level mana, so his father basically abandoned him after the second prince was born. Academically, he had some success. Some of the nobles chose him as their candidate, but mostly because they didn't want to choose the second prince; or wanted something first in exchange for their support. He was a losing horse, and there was no point in dutifully supporting him.

Keeping the title and his spot on the competition, and slowly gaining power was a good strategy. The Laukkanen have kept themselves out of the court business because the families had a poor view of us, and our support or opposition didn't affect the game. And, since our relationship with the Scevola House, the royals, has been sour for generations, it was better for them to stay away from us. Unfortunately, that has had a bad impact on the North, as a whole. The Vilhjálmr have a better connection with the other houses for economic reasons but prefer to stay isolated, since their traditions are closer to the Northeastern houses. After Persok became the Second General, their relationship with the other members of nobility greatly improved. Still, they don't have enough backing to make the biggest decisions. Ergo, the houses that should be under Vilhjálmr protection are slowly decaying. To worsen our situation, we have lost land to monster invasions six times in the last decade. Also, some villages have recently suffered from famine and lack of basic supplies.

Another important aspect was the First General position. Persok Vilhjálmr has long coveted it, but Konrad Rhydderch was a stonewall on his path for ascension. However, even if Konrad was removed, the King and high nobles don't want a North's house in such a high position. It must be observed that among the responsibilities of the First General is the acting position of Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy. Although, theoretically, this role should be performed by the King, in the last fifty years the First General has enjoyed enormous freedom of action, with little to no interference. Seldom, the King will use his authority for political means, in other words, to oppress his enemies and keep the noble houses in place. But due to his lack of knowledge, and interest, in warfare, he delegates most decisions to the First General.

However, if everything works as the contracts stipulates, and even more if they can comply to the additional clause, we will have a good friend in an optimal position, capable of giving us the best equipment available and even redirecting the troops to help us.

"Have you finished reading?", the prince asked while pouring me another cup. The butler had already brought us another tea for us to savor.

"Yes. Do you really think the King will comply with all your demands?"

"If he doesn't want to die".

"It's a magical contract?"

That explains why they were so certain of their victory.

"Yes. And the King signed it without even noticing that. He may try his best, delay everything and search for a more favorable interpretation. But, in the end, he can't run away from his responsibilities".

"With all due respect, this is an idiot's contract. No one in their right mind would sign it, so..."

"How did we make it? Well... the King is a drunkard and a fool".

"Makes sense". I laughed.

"So, would you be willing to fully join our alliance? Along with what I already pointed out; we'll agree to divert some soldiers to the North as soon as I become the First General".

"Well, that isn't a certainty. What if you never become one?"

"That's supposed to be a secret, so I hope this information doesn't leave this room. Astrea is already close to a month and a half pregnant. The Amin family and Sybil already know that. We trust them and believe they will keep this, because, as you may expect, many people will try to erase this child if they find out their worth. However, there are two more families who need to be aware of this, since it's our best bargain".

"Vilhjálmr and Rhydderch".

"Yes".

"But Rhydderch is also one of the most complicated families, since they are also the grandparents of the second and first princes".

"That's also true. Nonetheless, the relationship between the Rhydderch house and the royals may be more complicated than what they show".

"Explain".

"The current King had had three wives: Arianwin Rhydderch, mother of the first and second princes and the first princess; Kjersti Arud, my mother; and Elidi Argyris, mother of the second and third princess and current queen. Chosen either by the amount of mana or the economic support their families could offer, they were all short lived, except for the current queen. The royal family is superstitious and blindly believes in a two-hundred-year-old prophecy. The First King decree says that only an emperor-level magician can be crowned Emperor, and none of the Kings spared efforts to breed a high-mana child. But, as you may know, birthing a child that is powerful takes a heavy toll on the mother's health. Hence, the women married to the Scevola were treated as nothing but incubators. Both my mother and the first queen died at childbirth. The only reason the present queen is still alive is because she is too old to have any more kids. There were even rumors that he may divorce her and marry a younger woman if the Argyris don't pay him an annual maintenance fee".

"So, you believe the Rhydderch are, in fact, resentful towards the royal family and will rather go against him? That sounds like a good argument, if the Second Prince wasn't already the Rhydderch champion".

"And why do you believe he is, apart from him being Queen Arianwin's son?"

"Why would he not?"

"Because he is not a Rhydderch, he is a Scevola. He doesn't share the Rhydderch values, or even their abilities. His view of the world is the same as father's. His first wife is the best proof of that. He divorced her because she was infertile. After his divorce, he got married in less than a month. The second wife died with his still-born son. He and his third wife haven't been together for a long time, but he already has four kids. The noblewoman say they never saw her without a baby in her belly. Does it sound anything like the heavenly appraised Rhydderch?"

"Go back a little. What you mean he doesn't have the Rhydderch abilities?"

"Oh, I forgot this isn't public".

The Rhydderch were named dukes when the First King, former Scevola Emperor, unified the Five Light Nations. The Kingdom was renamed Glæma, the ray of light, and, to appease the revolting forces, the outstanding members of each of the four conquered nations were granted nobility titles. The four dukes and four marquises were great leaders in their regions but had to submit to the First King to grant a pacific transition and their people's safety. The Vilhjálmr were great warriors and renown conquerors of Terrors; the Conwenna were great farmers who could feed the whole nation; the Etxeberria were constructors that could build wonderful palaces; and the Rhydderch was a family of prophets, and each of their business was a grandiose success.

Individuals with unique abilities were rare, and a few families had such characteristics. Those families were mainly recognized by those abilities, and many said that a kid born without those abilities couldn't be considered a true member of the family. Hence, having a Rhydderch without the premonition ability, is like having a Korhonen who couldn't shriek or a Hellström who wasn't a psychic.

"Does it mean he hasn't had any premonition?" I asked.

"He can't have any premotion. He was born with a minimal spiritual energy. Since the royal family doesn't care about spiritual energy, he never cultivated it, to the point that it completely disappeared. Without spiritual energy, there can be no premonitions. He may have never said it openly, but more than once he claimed to be thankful for not inheriting Rhydderch's blood. That the emotional wave that accompanies each prediction is a liability no King should ever have".

"Did he say that to the Rhydderch house?"

"Probably not, he still gains a lot from the Rhydderch support".

"But if they stop supporting the Second Prince, they could just turn to the First one".

"Everyone knows that the First Prince, Addrin, is a losing bet. He never wanted to be part of the dispute for the crown and has been absent from social gatherings for a long time. In fact, all his time was invested in his research. His greatest wish is to be a full-time professor at Hodžic Academy. After realizing that Attiko, the Second Prince, is not a good fit to defend the Rhydderch interests, they will need someone who abides by their values and who can give them power and visibility".

"And you think they will give up on the crown?"

"They'll, once they notice that even if they win the dispute, they'll lose the war. Attiko is a mess, and Addrin a coward. Do they really want those kids to represent them and bring down the country in their name?"

"When you say it like that, it does sound pretty bad". I laughed.

"Back to the general. Konrad Rhydderch has been looking for a chance to retire for a long time now. He is too old to be in the field and has too much to protect back home. A wife, children and even grandchildren. It's time for him to enjoy a more pacific way of life".

"And you're certain you can push him to step down?"

"As we talked before, the army has been a mess for a long time. An aristocratic meritocracy, where all the money ends up in the hands of the noble officials. The common people who form the base have crumbs for a salary. The decisions on the payment, unfortunately, come from outside sources, like the Minister of Finances, the Prime Minister and Parliament. The military budget has been controlled by the noble houses for too long. Still, Konrad Rhydderch did his best to deal with it. I saw him work closely, and I know he is efficient, and his premonitions are of great use for the office. However, he doesn't have the guts to take charge and challenge the houses. But if he has a backer who can shoulder the badmouthing and scorn from the nobles, he may be able to act more seriously".

"So, you plan to take his office, but keep him close. Like make him your adviser or something like that?"

"Something like that. I'll let him use me as his shield, for now. This way, Rhydderch will keep their power and authority, and even be able to expand it without suffering the aftermath for their decisions".

"Won't that put too heavy a weight on you?"

"They already put me on this chair. There isn't much more for them to do against me".

He may have suffered the aftermath of his many wars; he was abandoned and ostracized by his family and the noble community. But the longer I stayed by his side, the more I believed that who I was looking at was the legendary Tiger General

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 26 9
Hermione and Ron apply for their marriage license, only to discover Hermione is more than a Muggle-born, and she's bound by an ancient magical contra...
199K 11.1K 40
╰┈➤✮ 𝐴𝑎𝑟𝑛𝑎𝑣 × 𝑇𝑎𝑛𝑖𝑠ℎ𝑘𝑎 ❝𝑯𝒂𝒎 𝒂𝒂𝒑𝒔𝒆 𝒃𝒐𝒉𝒐𝒕 𝒎𝒐𝒉𝒐𝒃𝒃𝒂𝒕 𝒌𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝑻𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒌𝒂❞ *:・゚✧...
137K 5.2K 79
To avoid the machinations of the minestry, Harry must marry a reluctant Severus Snape. But marriage to snape is only the beginning of Harry's problem...
1K 50 30
A young princess is taken from her home and forced to marry a prince with anger issues. Check out my other book "The Beginning of An Era" told my the...