Standing in the Storm

By TheQuietHufflepuff

As soon as she turned 18, Anastasia, Tasie, Winchester left the life of hunting and made herself a life she w... More

Aesthetic
Normalcy No More
Season One
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
03. Dead in the Water
04. Phantom Traveler
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. The Benders
13. Shadow
14. Hell House
15. Something Wicked
16. Provenance
17. Dead Man's Blood
18. Salvation
19. Devil's Trap
Season Two
20. In My Time of Dying
21. Everybody Loves a Clown
22. Bloodlust
23. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
24. Simon Said

05. Bloody Mary

17 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Toledo, Ohio

INT. SHOEMAKER LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Three girls were laughing, gathered around a table with candles. The candlelight is the only light.

"Okay, your turn, truth or dare?" girl one asked.

"Truth," Lily replied.

"Do you want to make out with Benji Swartz?"

Girl two laughed.

"Dare," Lily decided.

"Okay, lame. You have to... say "Bloody Mary" in the bathroom," girl one told her.

"Is that the best you can come up with?"

"Who's Bloody Mary?" girl two asked.

"She's this witch," girl one replied.

"I heard she was a lady killed in a car crash," Lily said.

"It doesn't matter who she is. Point is, if you say her name three times in the bathroom mirror she appears... and scratches your eyes out!"

Lily and girl two jumped.

"So why would anyone say it?" girl two questioned.

"Because it isn't real," Lily answered.

Lily got up and girl one handed her a candle before saying, "No turning on the lights, and remember... three times."

INT. BATHROOM – NIGHT

Lily opened the bathroom door. She looked at the shadows on the wall, then closed the door and put the candle down in front of the mirror.

"Bloody Mary. This is so stupid. Bloody Mary." The candle flickered. Lily looked at it and there was a long pause. "Bloody Mary."

There was another pause. A loud noise sounded. Lily shrieked. There was pounding on the door.

EXT. HALLWAY – NIGHT

Lily opened the door to find girls one and two, laughing.

"Scared ya," girl one said.

"You guys are jerks," Lily retorted.

"Lily," Steven called.

Lily looked up to the top of the stairs, where she saw her father, Steven Shoemaker.

Steven continued. "Do you mind keeping it down?"

"Sorry, Daddy," Lily apologized.

"Sorry, Mr. Shoemaker," girls one and two said.

Steven headed upstairs. He passed several mirrors; each has Bloody Mary.

INT. UPSTAIRS BATHROOM – NIGHT

Steven took some pills out of the bathroom medicine cabinet and closed the cabinet, revealing another mirror. He popped the pills in his mouth, then looked closer at the mirror, noticing some scratches under his eye.

INT. LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

Lily and both girls were giggling together.

"You so like him!" girl two cried.

Donna, Lily's older sister, came in the front door. "Hey, geek. You guys having fun?"

"You're out past curfew," Lily told her.

"Thanks, Dad." Donna went upstairs.

INT. UPSTAIRS HALLWAY – NIGHT

A pool of blood was coming out from under the bathroom door. Donna rounded the corner and saw it, stops, then started forward more slowly. She hesitantly pushed open the bathroom door, revealing a great deal more blood. Donna screamed.

INT. STANFORD APARTMENT – NIGHT - DREAM SEQUENCE

Sam laid on the bed, eyes closed. Jess was on the ceiling. Blood dripped on Sam's forehead. He opened his eyes and saw her.

"Why, Sam? Why, Sam?" Jess asked.

"No!" Sam cried as Jess burst into flame.

INT. IMPALA – DAY

"Sam, wake up," Dean and Tasie said.

Sam woke, confused. He sat up and looked around. He was sitting shotgun in the Impala, which was parked in front of a large building.

"I take it I was having a nightmare," Sam stated.

"Yeah, another one," Dean replied.

"Hey, at least I got some sleep."

"You know, sooner or later we're gonna have to talk about this."

"Are we here?"

"Yup. Welcome to Toledo, Ohio."

Sam picked up a newspaper with Steven Shoemaker's obituary circled.

Shoemaker, Steven
The Shoemaker family is sad to announce the sudden death of their beloved husband and father Steven Shoemaker. Steven was 46. A short service will be held on Wednesday, [...] 31 at 2:00 p.m. at the Toledo [...] and cherish you [...] Your [...]

"So what do you two think really happened to this guy?" Sam questioned.

"That's what we're gonna find out," Dean and Levi replied.

"Let's go," Dean told them.

Dean, Tasie, Levi and Sam got out of the car, Tasie pulled Ethan out, and headed up to the building.

INT. HOSPITAL – DAY

Sam, Levi and Dean headed into room 144, marked Morgue. Tasie opted to stay back with Ethan.

There were two desks. The empty one had a nameplate that says Dr. D. Feiklowicz. The other one had the morgue technician.

"Hey," the morgue technician greeted.

"Hey," Dean said.

"Can I help you?"

"Yeah. We're the, uh... med students."

"Sorry?"

Levi glanced at the name plate. "Oh, Doctor—" he pretended to stumble over the name, "—Figlavitch didn't tell you?"

"We talked to him on the phone. He, uh, we're from Ohio State," Dean added. "He's supposed to show us the Shoemaker corpse. It's for our paper."

"Well, I'm sorry, he's at lunch," the morgue technician replied.

"Oh well he said, uh—oh, well, you know, it doesn't matter. You don't mind just showing us the body, do you?"

"Sorry, I can't. Doc will be back in an hour. You can wait for him if you want."

"An hour? Ooh. We gotta be heading back to Columbus by then." He looked at Sam and Levi.

"Yeah," Sam and Levi agreed.

"Uh, look, man, this paper's like half our grade, so if you don't mind helping us out—"

"Uh, look, man... no," the morgue technician replied.

Dean laughed a little before he turned around and mumbled, "I'm gonna hit him in his face I swear."

Sam hit Dean on the arm. He and Levi stepped in front of Dean and opened their wallets and pulled out some twenties. They laid a few of them, at least five, down on the morgue technician's desk. The morgue technician picked up the money.

"Follow me," the morgue technician told them.

The morgue technician got up and left. Dean grabbed Sam and Lsvi when they tried to follow and said, "Dudes, I earned that money."

"You won it in a poker game," Sam retorted.

"Yeah."

Levi rolled his eyes. "Come on."

Sam and Levi followed the morgue technician.

INT. MORGUE – DAY

"Now the newspaper said his daughter found him," Sam said. "She said his eyes were bleeding."

The morgue technician pulled back the sheet over Steven's face and replied, "More than that. They practically liquefied."

"Any sign of a struggle?" Dean asked. "Maybe somebody did it to him?"

"Nope. Besides the daughter, he was all alone."

"What's the official cause of death?" Levi questioned.

"Ah, Doc's not sure. He's thinking massive stroke, maybe an aneurysm? Something burst up in there, that's for sure."

Sam frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Intense cerebral bleeding. This guy had more blood in his skull than anyone I've ever seen."

"The eyes; what would cause something like that?"

"Capillaries can burst. See a lot of bloodshot eyes with stroke victims."

"Yeah? You ever see exploding eyeballs?" Dean asked.

"That's a first for me, but hey, I'm not the doctor."

"Hey, think we could take a look at that police report? You know for, uh... our paper."

"I'm not really supposed to show you that."

Sam, annoyed, pulled out his wallet.

INT. HOSPITAL – DAY

Sam, Levi and Dean were walking down stairs. Tasie rejoined them.

"Might not be one of ours. Might just be some freak medical thing," Sam guessed.

"How many times in Dad's long and varied career has it actually been a freak medical thing and not some sign of an awful supernatural death?" Dean asked.

"Uh, almost never."

"Exactly."

Tasie looked between her brothers and husband. "All right, let's go talk to the daughter."

INT. SHOEMAKER HOUSE – DAY

Dean, Tasie, holding Ethan, Levi and Sam walked into the funeral. There was a picture of Steven Shoemaker on the desk. The attendees were all men in black suits and women in black dresses, except Dean, Tasie, Ethan, Levi and Sam.

"Feel like we're underdressed," Dean commented.

They kept walking through the house towards the back.

EXT. SHOEMAKER BACKYARD – DAY

A man pointed Dean, Tasie, Levi and Sam towards Donna and Lily Shoemaker, who were with their friends Jill and Charlie.

"You must be Donna, right?" Dean guessed.

"Yeah," Donna replied.

"Hi, uh—we're really sorry," Sam told her.

"Thank you."

"I'm Sam, this is Dean, that's Tasie, that's Levi, and the baby is Ethan. We worked with your dad."

Donna looked at Charlie, then back at Sam, Tasie, Ethan, Levi and Dean. "You did?"

"Yeah. This whole thing. I mean, a stroke," Dean said.

Charlie frowned. "I don't think she really wants to talk about this right now."

"It's okay. I'm okay," Donna told her.

"Were there any symptoms? Dizziness? Migraines?" Tasie questioned.

"No."

Lily turned around. "That's because it wasn't a stroke."

"Lily, don't say that."

"What?" Sam asked.

"I'm sorry, she's just upset."

"No, it happened because of me," Lily argued.

"Sweetie, it didn't."

"Lily," Sam called, getting down on eye level with Lily. "Why would you say something like that?"

"Right before he died, I said it," Lily replied.

"You said what?"

"Bloody Mary, three times in the bathroom mirror." She paused. "She took his eyes, that's what she does."

"That's not why Dad died. This isn't your fault," Donna reassured.

"I think your sister's right, Lily," Dean told her. "There's no way it could have been Bloody Mary. Your dad didn't say it, did he?"

"No, I don't think so," Lily agreed uncertainly.

INT. UPSTAIRS HALLWAY – DAY

Sam, Tasie and Dean were seen in the mirror approaching it, then rounding the corner. Levi was walking around with a fussing Ethan.

INT. UPSTAIRS BATHROOM – DAY

Sam pushed the door open. There was still some dried blood on the floor.

"The Bloody Mary legend... Dad ever find any evidence that it was a real thing?" Sam asked.

"Not that I know of," Dean said as he walked into the bathroom.

Sam stooped to the floor and touched the dried blood. "I mean, everywhere else all over the country, kids will play Bloody Mary, and as far as we know, nobody dies from it."

"Yeah, well, maybe everywhere it's just a story, but here it's actually happening."

"The place where the legend began?" Dean shrugged and opened the medicine cabinet. "But according to the legend, the person who says B—" He looked at the medicine cabinet mirror, which faced him, and closed it. "The person who says you know what gets it. But here—"

"Shoemaker gets it instead, yeah," Tasie finished.

"Right."

Dean frowned. "Never heard anything like that before. Still, the guy did die right in front of the mirror, and the daughter's right. The way the legend goes, you know who scratches your eyes out."

"It's worth checking in to."

INT. UPSTAIRS HALLWAY – DAY

A woman visible from knees down approached.

INT. BATHROOM – DAY

Sam, Tasie and Dean left the bathroom.

INT. UPSTAIRS HALLWAY – DAY

"What are you doing up here?" Charlie asked.

"We—we, had to go to the bathroom," Dean answered.

"Who are you?"

"Like we said downstairs, we worked with Donna's dad."

"He was a day trader or something. He worked by himself."

"No, I know, I meant—"

"And all those weird questions downstairs, what was that? So you tell me what's going on, or I start screaming."

"All right, all right. We think something happened to Donna's dad," Sam told her.

"Yeah, a stroke."

Tasie shook her head. "That's not a sign of a typical stroke. We think it might be something else."

"Like what?"

"Honestly? We're not sure yet. But we don't want it to happen to anyone else. That's the truth."

"So, if you're gonna scream, go right ahead," Dean added.

"Who are you, cops?" Charlie questioned.

Sam looked over his shoulder at Dean and Tasie the former of whom replied, "Something like that."

"I'll tell you what. Here." Sam reached into his pocket, pulled out a paper and pen, and started writing down his cell number. "If you think of anything, you or your friends notice anything strange, out of the ordinary... just give us a call."

Sam handed her the paper as he, Tasie and Dean walked down the hallway.

INT. LIBRARY – DAY

Sam, Tasie, Levi, holding a sleeping Ethan, and Dean walked into a library, rather dark for the time of day.

"All right, say Bloody Mary really is haunting this town," Dean said. "There's gonna be some sort of proof—Like a local woman who died nasty."

"Yeah but a legend this widespread it's hard," Sam replied. "I mean, there's like 50 versions of who she actually is. One story says she's a witch, another says she's a mutilated bride, there's a lot more." They walked in to the actual library.

"All right so what are we supposed to be looking for?"

"Every version's got a few things in common. It's always a woman named Mary, and she always dies right in front of a mirror. So we've gotta search local newspapers—public records as far back as they go. See if we can find a Mary who fits the bill."

"Well that sounds annoying," Dean and Tasie commented.

"No it won't be so bad, as long as we..." He looked at the computers which all said "Out of Order" on them and chuckled. "I take it back. This will be very annoying."

---

Charlie was driving in a car talking on her cell phone. "I'm not sure. They were cops or detectives or something."

Jill was in her room taking off her sweater. "Whoever they were, they were cute. The girl was kinda pretty too. The baby was adorable."

"Jill."

"You didn't think so?"

"Yeah okay they were cute, the girl was pretty, and the baby was adorable. Still, do you think something happened to Donna's dad?"

"Maybe Lily was right. Maybe Bloody Mary got him."

"Ha ha, very funny."

"Wait, I'm sorry. Was that fear I hear in your voice?"

"No."

"Charlie, I'm walking to the bathroom mirror right now."

"Jill, quit it."

Jill got to her bathroom mirror. "Oh no, I can't help myself. I'm gonna say it. Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary."

There was a silence on the phone and Charlie called, "Jill?" Jill screamed. "Jill!?!"

Jill started laughing. "You're such a freak, I'll call you tomorrow." They hung up the phone and Jill went to her closet to finish getting changed. She opened the door, and on the inside there was a mirror, where Bloody Mary appeared. She closed the closet door and went to sit down at her vanity, where there was another mirror. Bloody Mary watched as she took her earrings out, and appeared again when Jill walked in front of her TV screen. Jill went back in the bathroom to wash her face, but as she bent down to wash, her reflection in the mirror stayed standing. She looked up and saw her reflection looking at her as if it were another person. Jill started panicking as the reflection in the mirror started oozing blood out of its eyes. She reached up and feels blood on her own face.

"You did it. You killed that boy," the reflection told her.

Jill fell down after seemingly being strangled to death as her reflection in the mirror watched her.

SAM'S DREAM

The flames sucked up into Jessica's body and she asked, "Why Sam?"

Sam woke up and asked, "Why'd you let me fall asleep?"

"'Cause I'm an awesome brother. So what did you dream about?"

"Lollipops and candy canes."

"Yeah, sure."

"Did you find anything?"

"Oh besides a whole new level of frustration?" Sam sat up. "No. I've looked at everything. A few local women, a Laura and a Catherine committed suicide in front of a mirror, and a giant mirror fell on a guy named Dave, but uh, no Mary."

Sam fell back on the bed. "Maybe we just haven't found it yet."

"I've also been searching for strange deaths in the area, you know... eyeball bleeding, that sort of thing. There's nothing. Whatever's happening here, maybe it just ain't Mary."

Sam's cell phone rang and he answered it. "Hello?" A look of concern crossed Sam's face.

PARK BENCH

Charlie was sitting on the bench next to Tasie, with Ethan on her lap, Dean was sitting on the back of it, and Sam and Levi were standing.

Charlie cried as she said, "And they found her on the bathroom floor. And her—her eyes. They were gone."

"I'm sorry," Sam apologized.

"And she said it." Dean looked up at Sam and glanced to Saoirse. "I heard her say it. But it couldn't be because of that. I'm insane, right?"

"No, you're not insane," Dean told her.

"Oh God, that makes me feel so much worse."

"Look. We think something's happening here," Levi said. "Something that can't be explained."

"And we're gonna stop it but we could use your help," Dean added.

JILL'S ROOM

Charlie entered and locked the door. She went over to the window and opened it, where Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean were waiting to enter. Sam entered first and Dean threw him a duffel bag. Tasie handed Ethan to Levi, then entered and took their son before Levi climbed in.

Sam set it on the bed and started going through it as he asked, "What did you tell Jill's mom?"

"Just that I needed some time alone with Jill's pictures and things," Charlie replied as Sam pulled something out of the bag and Dean shut the curtains. "I hate lying to her."

"Trust us, this is for the greater good," Dean told her. "Hit the lights."

Charlie went over to turn off the lights. "What are you guys looking for?"

"We'll let you know as soon as we find it."

Sam had a digital camera ready and handed it to Dean. "Hey, night vision." Dean turned on the night vision for him. "Perfect."

The digital camera was aimed at Dean who asked, "Do I look like Paris Hilton?"

Sam walked away with the camera. He opened Jill's closet door and begins filming around the mirror before saying, "So I don't get it. I mean... the first victim didn't summon Mary, and the second victim did. How's she choosing them?"

"Beats me," Dean and Tasie said.

Sam closed the closet door.

"I want to know why Jill said it in the first place," Dean stated.

"It's just a joke," Charlie told him.

Levi pursed his lips. "Yeah well somebody's gonna say it again, it's just a matter of time."

Sam was in the bathroom filming around the mirror when he stopped and saw trickles of something running out from behind the mirror. "Hey." Dean, Tasie, Levi and Charlie turned to look at him. "There's a black light in the trunk, right?"

Sam had carried the mirror out to Jill's bed and laid it on the bed upside down. Dean threw him a black light. Sam peeled off the brown paper that was on the back of the mirror. Sam shined the black light over the back of the mirror and there was a handprint, and the words "Gary Bryman."

"Gary Bryman?" Charlie read.

"You know who that is?" Sam questioned.

"No."

BENCH

Dean, Tasie, holding Ethan, and Charlie were sitting on it and Sam and Levi came up behind them.

"So, Gary Bryman was an 8-year-old boy," Sam informed. "Two years ago he was killed in a hit and run. The car was described as a black Toyota Camry. But nobody got the plates or saw the driver."

"Oh my God," Charlie said.

"What?"

"Jill drove that car."

"We need to get back to your friend Donna's house," Dean told her.

BATHROOM OF DONNA'S HOUSE

Sam, Tasie, Levi, holding a sleeping Ethan, and Dean were hunched over the back of the mirror with a black light. There was a handprint on it, and the words "Linda Shoemaker".

"Linda Shoemaker," Sam said.

DOWNSTAIRS

"Why are you asking me this?" Donna asked.

"Look, we're sorry, but it's important."

"Yeah. Linda's my mom okay? She overdosed on sleeping pills, it was an accident, and that's it. I think you should leave."

"Now Donna, just listen," Dean said.

"Get out of my house!" She ran upstairs.

"Oh my God. Do you really think her dad could've killed her mom?" Charlie asked.

"Maybe," Sam and Tasie replied.

"I think I should stick around."

"All right. Whatever you do, don't—" Dean was cut off.

"Believe me, I won't say it."

---

Dean was at a computer and Sam and Levi were looking at some things posted on a bulletin board. Tasie was nursing Ethan.

"Wait, wait, wait, you're doing a nationwide search?" Sam asked.

"Yep," Dean replied. "The NCIC, the FBI database—at this point any Mary who died in front of a mirror is good enough for me."

"But if she's haunting the town, she should have died in the town."

"I'm telling you there's nothing local, I've checked. So unless you got a better idea—"

"The way Mary's choosing her victims, it seems like there's a pattern," Levi said.

"I know, I was thinking the same thing."

"With mister Shoemaker and Jill's hit and run," Sam commented.

"Both had secrets where people died."

"Right. I mean there's a lot of folklore about mirrors-that they reveal all your lies, all your secrets, that they're a true reflection of your soul, which is why it's bad luck to break them."

"Right, right. So maybe if you've got a secret, I mean like a really nasty one where someone died, then Mary sees it, and punishes you for it."

"Whether you're the one that summoned her or not." Levi added.

"Take a look at this." There was a picture of a woman lying by a mirror in a puddle of blood. Dean printed out another picture and handed it to Sam. The picture was of a handprint and the letters "Tre".

"Looks like the same handprint," Sam said.

"Her name was Mary Worthington—an unsolved murder in Fort Wayne, Indiana."

POLICE DEPARTMENT - FORT WAYNE, INDIANA

"I was on the job for 35 years-detective for most of that. Now everybody packs it in with a few loose ends, but the Mary Worthington murder—that one still gets me," the detective said.

"What exactly happened?" Dean asked.

"You boys and girl said you were reporters?"

"We know Mary was 19, lived by herself," Sam replied. "We know she won a few local beauty contests, dreamt of getting out of Indiana, being an actress. And we know the night of March 29th someone broke into her apartment and murdered her, cut out her eyes with a knife."

"That's right."

"See sir, when we asked you what happened, we wanted to know what you think happened," Tasi told him, bouncing Ethan on her lap.

The detective pulled some files out of a filing cabinet. "Technically I'm not supposed to have a copy of this." He opened a file to the picture Sam, Levi and Dean found on the computer. "Now see that there? T-R-E?"

"Yeah," Dean answered.

"I think Mary was trying to spell out the name of her killer."

"You know who it was?" Sam questioned.

"Not for sure. But there was a local man, a surgeon-Trevor Sampson." He pulled out a picture of a man. "And I think her cut her up good."

"Now why would he do something like that?"

"Her diary mentioned a man that she was seeing. She called him by his initial, "T". Well, her last entry, she was gonna tell "T"'s wife about their affair."

"Yeah but how do you know it was Sampson who killed her?" Dean asked.

"It's hard to say, but the way her eyes were cut out... it was almost professional."

"But you could never prove it?"

"No. No prints, no witnesses. He was meticulous."

"Is he still alive?"

"Nope." He sat down and sighed. "If you ask me, Mary spent her last living moments trying to expose this guy's secret. But she never could."

"Where's she buried?" Tasie inquired.

"She wasn't. She was cremated."

"What about that mirror?" Dean wondered as he nodded at the one in the picture. "It's not in some evidence lockup somewhere is it?"

"Ah, no. It was returned to Mary's family a long time ago."

"You have the names of her family by any chance?" Sam asked.

GIRL'S BATHROOM - SCHOOL

Donna and Charlie entered and Donna said, "I mean, you bring these strangers into my house and they ask me things like that?"

"They were only trying to help. Please, Donna, you have to believe me," Charlie replied.

"What? About Bloody Mary?" They'd stopped in front of a mirror.

"Please, I know it sounds crazy—"

"Crazy doesn't even begin to cover it. I mean it's one thing for my sister to believe this crap, she's 12. But you?"

"Think about the way your dad died, okay? And the way Jill died."

"Okay so," she turned to face the mirror, "Bloody Mary."

"No!"

"Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary." She turned back to face Charlie. "See? Nothing happened."

"Why would you do that?"

"Oh my God. There really is something wrong with you."

SCHOOL HALLS

Charlie was walking down past some windows into the classroom, and Bloody Mary was in one of them.

PHYSICS/SCIENCE CLASS - CHARLIE'S SCHOOL

The teacher spoke. "Elements that loose electrons become positive ions, which are smaller than other atoms of the same element." Charlie opened up her compact. "Therefore the ionic radius is smaller than the atomic radius." Charlie saw Bloody Mary in the corner and screamed. The class freaked out as she started running around the room. "Charlie!" She saw the reflection of Mary in the window of the door, picked up a stool, and threw it through the window. "Charlie!!!" The teacher caught Charlie. "Charlie stop it! What's wrong!? Just calm down." Charlie saw Mary in the reflection of the teacher's glasses.

"Aah! Let me go!" Charlie cried.

"Charlie!" Charlie ran out of the room.

ROAD

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean drove down the road.

Sam was on his cell phone. "Oh really? Ah that's too bad Mr. Worthington. I would have paid a lot for that mirror. Okay, well maybe next time. All right, thanks." Sam hung up.

"So?" Dean and Tasie asked.

"So that was Mary's brother. The mirror was in the family for years, until he sold it one week ago to a store called Estate Antiques. A store in Toledo."

"So wherever the mirror goes, that's where Mary goes?" Dean inquired.

"Her spirit's definitely tied up with it somehow."

"Isn't there an old superstition that says mirrors can capture spirits?"

"Yeah there is. Yeah, when someone would die in a house people would cover up the mirrors so the ghost wouldn't get trapped."

"So Mary dies in front of a mirror, and it draws in her spirit."

"Yeah but how could she move through like a hundred different mirrors?" Levi wondered.

"I don't know, but if the mirror is the source, I say we find it and smash it."

"Yeah, I don't know, maybe," Sam replied as his cell phone rang. "Hello." The look of concern came across his face again. "Charlie?"

MOTEL

Charlie was sitting on the bed with her head on her knees and Sam, Tasie, Levi and Dean had all of the curtains drawn shut, and were throwing sheets over the mirrors, or facing them to the wall or floor. Ethan was on the bed next to Charlie.

Sam sat next to Charlie. "Hey, hey it's okay. Hey, you can open up your eyes Charlie. It's okay, all right?" Charlie looked up slowly. "Now listen. You're gonna stay right here on this bed, and you're not gonna look at glass, or anything else that has a reflection, okay? And as long as you do that, she cannot get you."

"But I can't keep that up forever," Charlie replied. "I'm gonna die, aren't I?"

"No. No. Not anytime soon."

Dean sat on the bed as well. "All right Charlie. We need to know what happened."

"We were in the bathroom," Charlie told them. "Donna said it."

"That's not what we're talking about. Something happened, didn't it? In your life... a secret... where someone got hurt. Can you tell us about it?"

"I had this boyfriend. I loved him. But he kind of scared me too, you know? And one night, at his house, we got in this fight. Then I broke up with him, and he got upset, and he said he needed me and he loved me, and he said "Charlie, if you walk out that door right now, I'm gonna kill myself." And you know what I said? I said "Go ahead." And I left. How could I say that? How could I leave him like that? I just...I didn't believe him, you know? I should have." She put her face back on her knees and started crying again.

ROAD

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean drove in the rain.

"You know her boyfriend killing himself, that's not really Charlie's fault," Dean said.

"You know as well as Levi, Tasie and I do spirits don't exactly see shades of gray, Dean," Sam replied. "Charlie had a secret, someone died, that's good enough for Mary."

"I guess."

"You know, I've been thinking. It might not be enough to just smash that mirror."

"Why, what do you mean?"

"Well Mary's hard to pin down, right? She moves around from mirror to mirror so who's to say that she's not just gonna keep hiding in them forever? So perhaps we should try to pin her down, you know, summon her to her mirror and then smash it."

"Well how do you know that's going to work?"

"We don't, not for sure."

"Well who's gonna summon her?"

"I will. She'll come after me."

"You know what, that's it," Dean said as he pulled the car over. "This is about Jessica, isn't it? You think that's your dirty little secret that you killed her somehow? Sam, this has got to stop, man. I mean, the nightmares and calling her name out in the middle of the night—it's gonna kill you. Now listen to me—It wasn't your fault. If you wanna blame something, then blame the thing that killed her. Or hell, why don't you take a swing at me? I mean I'm the one that dragged you away from her in the first place."

"I don't blame you."

"Well you shouldn't blame yourself, because there's nothing you could've done."

"I could've warned her."

"About what?" Tasie wondered. "You didn't know what was gonna happen! And besides, all of this isn't a secret, I mean Dean, Levi and I know all about it. It's not gonna work with Mary anyway."

"No you don't."

"We don't what?"

"You don't know all about it. I haven't told you everything."

"What are you talking about?" Dean wondered.

Sam glanced at his brother. "Well it wouldn't really be a secret if I told you, would it?"

Dean looked surprised. "No. I don't like it. It's not gonna happen, forget it."

Sam frowned. "Dean, that girl back there is going to die unless we do something about it. And you know what? Who knows how many more people are gonna die after that? Now we're doing this. You've got to let me do this. You too, Tasie, Levi."

Tasie glanced at her sleeping son. "Ethan stays. Sam, I'm joining you."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"Tase, I gotta do this alone."

SHOP

Sam was trying to pick the lock on the door. It opened and they saw numerous mirrors are in this shop.

"Well... that's just great," Dean muttered as he pulled out the picture of Mary's dead body to look at the mirror. "All right let's start looking."

They split up and walked around the store and there was a flashing light that seemed to be part of an alarm.

"Maybe they've already sold it," Dean guessed.

Sam and Tasie's flashlights stopped on the mirror. "I don't think so."

Dean walked over to them and pulled out the picture again to compare. It was the mirror. "That's it." He sighed. "You sure about this?" Sam handed Dean the flashlight.

Sam and Tasie, earning a glare from her twin, sighed. "Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary." They looked at Dean who gave them an unsure look back. Sam picked up the crowbar and Tasie turned her flashlight the opposite way so the light was facing her. "Bloody Mary."

Dean turned to see a light coming through the store. "Levi and I'll go check that out. Stay here, be careful." Sam readied the crowbar again and Tasie readied her flashlight. "Smash anything that moves." Dean and Levi crawled away towards the front door. They saw a headlight. "Crap." Dean put the crowbar down and began to walk to the door, followed by Levi.

Sam and Tasie heard a breath, so they turned to look at a different mirror, and Mary was in it.

OUTSIDE

Dean and Levi were facing police.

"Hold it," a policeman ordered.

"Whoa guys, false alarm, I tripped the system," Dean said.

"Who are you?"

"I'm the boss's kid. This is my cousin."

"You're Mister Yamashiro's kid?"

INSIDE

Sam and Tasie saw Mary out of the corner of their eye and smashed the mirror with the crowbar and flashlight. She was in a different one, and they saw her and smashed that mirror too. They were now back facing her mirror.

"Come on. Come into this one," Sam and Tasie muttered.

Sam and Tasie stared oddly at their reflections, which had taken a mind of their own like Jill's. Sam and Tasie started having trouble breathing and both had a trickle of blood coming out of their eye. They dropped the crowbar and flashlight and grabbed their hearts.

Their reflections spoke. "It's your fault. You killed her. You killed Jessica. You killed Vicky."

OUTSIDE

"Like I said, I was adopted," Dean said.

"Yeah," the policeman retorted.

Dean and Levi were being covered back and front by the two cops. "You know, I just—we really don't have time for this right now." He punched one cop, backhanded the other, then Levi punched the cop in front of him again. They were on the ground.

INSIDE

Sam's reflection spoke. "You never told her the truth—who you really were." Sam fell towards the ground. "But it's more than that, isn't it? Those nightmares you've been having of Jessica dying, screaming, burning—You had them for days before she died. Didn't you!?! You were so desperate to ignore them, to believe they were just dreams. How could you ignore them like that? How could you leave her alone to die!?! You dreamt it would happen!!!"

At the same time, Tasie's reflection spoke. "You let her get behind the wheel despite knowing that she was impaired. You could've stopped her! But you didn't!"

Dean's crowbar went through the mirror and he and Levi bent down to the floor to Sam and Tasie. "Sam, Sammy. Tasie, Tase!"

"It's Sam," the younger brother corrected.

Dean, in reference to the blood that had come out of their eyes, said, "God, are you two okay?"

"Uh, yeah," Sam and Tasie replied.

"Come on, come on." He and Levi pulled Sam and Tasie up. Dean put Sam's arm over his neck while Levi put an arm around Tasie's shoulders, setting her arm around his waist, and they began to walk out, until Mary, again, much like Samara out of the TV in The Ring, came out of the frame of the mirror. They turned around to see her crawling over the broken glass. Mary walked towards them and they each fall to the ground. They each started bleeding from the face, but Dean reached up and pulled over a mirror so Mary was forced to see her own reflection.

"You killed them! All those people! You killed them!" the reflection said.

Mary started choking to death and melted into a pile of blood. Dean threw down the mirror he held and it shattered.

"Hey Sam? Tasie ?" Dean called.

"Yeah?" Sam and Tasie asked.

"This has got to be like... what? 600 years of bad luck?"

Sam and Tasie chuckled weakly.

INT. IMPALA

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean drove in the car with Charlie in the back next to Tasie who had moved Ethan to her lap. They pulled up in front of a house.

"So this is really over?" Charlie asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, it's over."

"Thank you." Dean reached back to shake her hand, and she got out of the car.

"Charlie?" Sam called, causing Charlie to turn around. "Your boyfriend's death... you really should try to forgive yourself. No matter what you did, you probably couldn't have stopped it. Sometimes bad things just happen."

Charlie smiled faintly, then turned to go into the house.

Dean gently hit Sam. "That's good advice." They drove off. "Hey Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Now that this is all over, I want you to tell me what that secret is."

"Look... you're my brother and I'd die for you, but there are some things I need to keep to myself." Sam looked out the window and saw Jessica in a white dress on the street corner standing next to a light pole. As they turned the corner, she disappeared behind the pole.

Dean glanced back at Tasie. "What about you? What was that secret?"

Tasie smiled sadly and shook her head. "It's too painful, Dean."

"Maybe I can help ease that."

"Great big brother move, but no, you can't. This is something I need to deal with by myself."

Levi let out a sigh and placed a hand on his wife's shoulder. He knew a little of Tasie's secret, but not everything. As much as he wanted to know, he wouldn't push her. She'd spill whatever it was when she was ready.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.4K 1.7K 72
Angel Millie Winchester, eldest of the Winchester clan, had to grow up exceptionally early at the age of 6 to help care for her brothers (4 year old...
18K 264 73
A father and his newborn daughter set on a quest of sorts to find his father. Along the way, they recruit his brother. Together, they travel the bac...
83.2K 1.6K 187
She should have died. But instead, a green-eyed man saved her. Alana Thomas and Dean Winchester begin hunting together. He's her sight and she's his...
4.8K 102 39
Dean and Carrie unknowingly fell in love as children. Years later, the two meet up again and sparks fly. A whirlwind romance leads quickly to golden...