Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 35

1K 137 38
By NebulusCharlie

There was no way to tell who it was on the gurney, and it was bundled into a waiting ambulance and driven away too fast.

The police started interviewing the members of the crowds and escorting them up to their apartments one group at a time, just to prevent anyone going to the sixth floor yet.

"This might take time...do you mind if I go?" Wen Ning said.

He had already been waiting with them for over a couple of hours.

Wei Ying nodded at him, distracted.

"A-Ning...back there," Wei Ying looked back to the direction they had come in. "You know in the parking garage, we saw a red ferrari...do you know who it belongs to?"

"Wen Xu and Wen Chao. Both of them drive one. They have two." Wen Ning told him. "They're both identical except for the number plates. Why?"

"Oh...no reason. It stands out, that's all." Wei Ying laughs weakly.

Wen Ning looks as if he's going to say something, but then he changes his mind.

"I'll get going, then." He says, instead.

"Yeah...thanks for getting us out of there." Wei Ying said, nodding at him.

They watch him leave, both with conflicting thoughts about their friend, and knowing it was impossible to voice them here, with so many foreign ears listening to them. Still, it was better to be cautious and delay an inevitable conversation, than talk and risk exposing themselves.

Two more hours passed before Wei Ying pleaded with the policeman on duty, telling him that their kids were upstairs alone with a granny prone to taking afternoon naps. He pouted and that's what swung their vote.

Minutes later, they were being escorted into the apartment building.

Wei Ying is vibrating with worry and tension, and he knows that nothing will make it better than hugging his children. He's tethered by Lan Zhan holding onto his hand and it feels good, not to be alone right now.

The next few hours are going to be filled with uncertainty, because the cops are being seriously tight-lipped about whatever has happened upstairs on the sixth floor. The policeman who escorts them up to their apartment just shoots them another sympathetic look and tells them that they will be around before eight or nine in the evening to talk to them.

Wei Ying is glad of that, because then hopefully, the children will be asleep.

All they know for certain now, is that someone has died and they may or may not be connected to JingYi, seeing as he lives in apartment 613.

Wei Ying has a sneaking suspicion about who it might be, but he wishes and prays that he's wrong. And no matter what, he wants to delay telling JingYi unless he absolutely has to.

JingYi had crawled into his heart space a long time ago, and Wei Ying felt fiercely protective of him.

Luckily, the kids don't hear them coming in, and they are able to retreat into the bedroom to take off their protective suits, something that if the kids had seen them wearing, would have freaked them out.

When they're ready, they go into the children's room and after much hugs and kisses, and promises of a family movie marathon, Lan Zhan goes into the kitchen to supervise popcorn making with the kids, while Wei Ying escorts Wen PoPo to the door.

He steps outside just to give her a heads up on what's happening with the cops and the situation with the ambulances, just so she won't panic when she has to walk past them all when she leaves.

Wen PoPo gives him a hard hug, patting his back when he finishes talking.

"They were okay with you? Did you have lunch?" He asks, hugging her back just as hard.

"You know they're good boys." She tells him. "They even tried to help me with washing up." She sounds so proud.

Wei Ying smiles, his first really genuine one so late in the day.

They wave and he goes back inside.

The movie marathon starts with the Lion King, which Lan Zhan has never seen before, followed by the Jungle Book, and they sing along to the songs.

This is a whole new experience for Lan Zhan, who was taught to watch in silence, and also hadn't seen this one, either.

Wei Ying is shocked but totally on board to tease him about it, later.

Dinner is grilled cheese toast, tomato puree and pizza sauce for the kids and chilli sauce for Wei Ying.

Lan Zhan films everything and sometimes Wei Ying does too, getting content for their eventual YouTube channel.

Then it's back to watching one more movie, as there's no school tomorrow.

This time, it's Beauty and the Beast.

Wei Ying catches Lan Zhan looking at him more than once, over the heads of the kids sitting in between them. When Lan Zhan goes into the kitchen to make hot chocolate for them, Wei Ying follows him in.

He stands at the doorway, watching Lan Zhan work.

Lan Zhan has rolled his sleeves up, exposing those deliciously lickable forearms and making Wei Ying's mouth water, but that's for later. He watches Lan Zhan stir the mixture carefully, making sure the kids don't burn their mouths on the hot drink, and that the temperature is just right. He adds loads of soft pink marshmallows and waits. He's so at ease here, in the kitchen. Not just this particular one, but with cooking in general, oozing a confidence which is just plain hot.

Wei Ying is overcome with a wave of love for this sweet, sweet man.

He goes into his waiting arms when Lan Zhan turns around with a raised brow.

"I love you." Wei Ying tells him, nuzzling closer and inciting a huff of amusement.

"I love Wei Ying." Lan Zhan kisses the top of his head.

"Are you okay?" Wei Ying asks him.

"Mn, why?"

"It's just that ... while we were watching...um, it seemed like you were thinking about something. A penny for your thoughts?" Wei Ying looks up at him.

Lan Zhan just feels awed.

Wei Ying is stunning, even in this yellow light of the kitchen. His beauty is incomparable, and he has no words for what he's feeling now. Those gorgeous silver eyes remind him of galaxies, stars shining in their brilliance, now full of curiosity. And the more Lan Zhan looks at him, the more a pink blush finds its way onto his lovely face.

And he's forgotten the question.

"Please can you repeat what you asked?" He says, unashamed because it is Wei Ying himself, who made Lan Zhan forget.

Wei Ying giggles, both embarrassed and feeling a little coy. Shy because no one has ever been this way with him. He feels appreciated and seen.

It's a good feeling.

So he does what Lan Zhan asked him to do.

"Penny for your thoughts. It's a common phrase. It means a payment..." Wei Ying stares back at him, cheekily playful, the tip of his tongue peeking out from the side of his mouth.

"Mn...really?" Lan Zhan bites out, equally playful. "But, since I have no use for pennies..."

"Oh...is that so?" Wei Ying gasps as Lan Zhan licks along the side of his neck. "W-what kind of payment...ah...does Lan Zhan have in mind, then?"

"I think my thoughts are quite valuable...so maybe three kisses?" He looks unsure, all of a sudden.

"So expensive, Gege!" Wei Ying exclaims, in mock outrage. "That might be beyond my capacity to afford!"

"Wei Ying should learn to not be so stingy..." Lan Zhan replies, enjoying himself.

"Luckily, I know a bargain when I see one!" Wei Ying tenderly holds his face and kisses him softly.

Maybe, after the stress of the morning they have both had, and the traumatising return to a home that should have been unhindered, this is what they both need so badly. It soothes and reconnects their feelings, warming them from the inside out.

"That's one." Wei Ying says, his eyes dazed and slightly unfocused when he opens them. "And this is two..."

This time, it is Lan Zhan who takes control and holds him up against the counter. This kiss is as playful as their banter, neither wanting to get hot and heavy while the kids are awake.

"That's not fair." Wei Ying complains, when they separate.

"Mn?"

"That was you kissing me...not me kissing you."

"I wasn't aware there was a difference...." Lan Zhan huffs out, completely charmed by his delightful pout.

"Well, this time, you have to stand still." Wei Ying tells him.

"I agree. Wei Ying is absolutely right." Lan Zhan tells him.

He stands straight and tall. Wei Ying jumps up to sit on the counter for added height, and goes all in.

By the time he's finished, that kiss has slid into dangerous territory, with both of them panting, and it takes them a full minute to calm down.

"So...?" Wei Ying asks, with a naughty grin. "Tell me."

"I couldn't help comparing." Lan Zhan comes closer, needing to hold him close.

It's easier to organise his thoughts if he isn't staring into beautiful silver eyes, with a myriad of emotions reflecting inside them.

"Comparing what, Sweetheart?" Wei Ying is hugging him too, rubbing soothing circles on his back.

"In that story...the Beauty falls in love with a monster."

Wei Ying gasps, and pulls away, needing to look into his eyes.

"If you're saying what I think you are, you better take that right back, young man!" He crossed his arms over his chest. "I am not having that sort of talk in my house, do you understand?" He's deadly serious.

Lan Zhan is silent, looking at the wall behind him.

"Sweetheart...it's okay to have doubts, to wonder. But to think of yourself like that...I won't stand for it. Do you understand? I know there are real monsters out there, and you should be aware of them, too, because you are nothing like them. Do you hear me?" Wei Ying gave him a small shake.

This time, Lan Zhan was able to smile a little bit.

"And you talk to me straight away if you have these silly thoughts knocking around in there again. Am I making myself clear?" Wei Ying waggled a finger at him, like chastising a young child.

Lan Zhan could only hug him.

They brought out the hot chocolate for the kids and Wei Ying was chuffed to find that a third cup was placed in front of him - Lan Zhan had made one extra for him.

The children were already yawning by the time the film finished, and although they both asked for a story, neither heard past the first line.

"Don't they look so cute?" Wei Ying whispered, as they switched off the light in their bedroom and came away as quietly as they could.

He had a lovely, soft expression on his face.

"Mn." Lan Zhan was about to pull him into a kiss, simply because Wei Ying looked too adorable not to...but there was a knock on the door.

Outside their apartment, the foot traffic had increased a lot today, and Lan Zhan was trying to tune it out, that's why he hadn't paid any attention to whoever had approached.

Wei Ying went to see who it was, while Lan Zhan hovered.

It was the young officer they had met outside the building. Wei Ying tried to smile at him, but he was suddenly feeling stressed by his appearance.

"Come in, officer." He said, opening the door wider.

Lan Zhan made sure to sit next to Wei Ying so the only chair available for the cop was the solitary armchair.

The officer was nervous.

He took off his hat and kept squeezing it between both of his hands, not really looking at them.

"Would you like any tea...or coffee...or something?" Wei Ying asked him.

The officer is looking at Wei Ying's mug of hot chocolate; it's mostly finished now, but Lan Zhan offers to make him one. The officer, Officer Todd, he calls himself, looks relieved.

Lan Zhan will never get tired of seeing the kindness Wei Ying extends to everyone who visits his life. It is truly a remarkable gift, to be able to see what the other person needs, and then to do his best to provide it.

Even towards this young officer, who is obviously tired from standing outside all day, answering people and their questions, and knowing that while he might have the answers, he's not allowed to give them.

There's a tense, awkward silence in the room when Lan Zhan returns, as if neither dared to break it, and once Officer Todd holds the mug of hot beverage in his hands, it's as if he's being thawed by the heat.

"I've never seen anything like it." He blurts out, suddenly.

Wei Ying glances at Lan Zhan and then reaches across his lap to hold his hand. They're both facing the officer, sitting almost sideways to do it. If Wei Ying were to lean back, Lan Zhan would be embracing him, back to chest. But they are content to just keep their contact to this for now; it is enough.

"How long since you graduated from the academy?" Wei Ying attempts to distract him.

He seems very young and maybe a little inexperienced.

"Two years." He holds two fingers up to show them. "I'm still considered a rookie." He smiles awkwardly.

"Well...experience will fix that, right?"

"I hope so. I was the only one who had to...take a break. I threw up the first time." He takes a sip of his hot drink, and then peers into the mug as if questioning what's inside. "I really shouldn't be telling you guys this...but since this afternoon...I feel like I can trust you."

Wei Ying nods sympathetically. "What did you see?" And then he points upwards. "There?"

Officer Todd nods. "That's why I had to come and talk to you. You're my last point of call, and since the kid is here, we think you might be able to tell us something more about the inhabitants of apartment 613. If you can...?"

"We don't know much...but we will tell you everything we do know." Wei Ying reassures him.

Officer Todd puts down his drink and pulls out his little notebook and a retractable ballpoint pen.

"Mrs Lan came to see us on Friday evening. She and her husband have regular trouble picking their kid up from school. Some days, JingYi just knocks on our door and we take him with our son. A-Yuan and JingYi are best friends." Wei Ying tells him. He looks to Lan Zhan one more time, before saying his next sentence.

Lan Zhan immediately can tell what he's going to tell the cop, and he squeezes Wei Ying's hand in quiet support. This officer should know everything about JingYi.

"On Thursday night, I had a doctor's appointment, and we noticed JingYi favouring his arm...so we made a game out of it and the doctor checked him out. He's got really bad bruises, and his arm was really sore. But his back..." Wei Ying took a shuddering breath as the memory of JingYi's injuries shattered whatever peace resided in his mind.

"We took photos." Lan Zhan reminded him.

Wei Ying nodded gratefully, and pulled out his phone. He had made a separate folder and he opened it for Officer Todd before handing it to him.

Officer Todd pales first, and then a crease appears in between his brows as he frowns at the pictures. By the time he finishes looking at them, he looks angry.

"Why didn't you report this?" He says, furiously.

"We didn't know what to do. JingYi was already here and safe -" Wei Ying began, but Officer Todd interrupted him.

"But his mother wasn't safe, was she?" He demanded. "If you came to us, we could have done something! We could have saved her!" He's standing up now, running a hand through his hair in agitation, and unaware of his words.

"Was that...was that Mrs Lan ... outside?" Wei Ying is trembling.

He knows Officer Todd is right...and he is wishing it wasn't so. Could they have saved Mrs Lan?

"Yes, that was Mrs Lan, in the body bag." Officer Todd sits down now, drained of all fight. He scrubs his face with both of his hands, choking back a ragged breath. "I'm sorry...that was unprofessional of me. I just...it's been a long day." He whispered.

No one says anything.

Lan Zhan can feel Wei Ying drowning in guilt, and he wished he could have said something to stop Officer Todd from saying those cruel words to him, however true they were. But Officer Todd himself, was just a kid, too.

"We were shocked. And scared for him." Lan Zhan says, at last.

"Understandable." Officer Todd replies, though his own face does not believe himself.

Lan Zhan remembered being this young and impressionable, when the world was a place of good and bad, right and wrong, and he wanted to be a sword-wielding hero fighting on the side of righteousness and justice.

But nothing was as black and white as it appeared, and this kid was going to have to learn all those lessons the hard way.

"We wanted to contact social services..." Wei Ying offers.

He's holding onto Lan Zhan's hands with both of his own, so tightly, that Lan Zhan thinks it's a good thing that his blood does not circulate like before.

"I think we should continue this tomorrow." Officer Todd says, looking exhausted. "We can inform social services for you, and let them decide what to do."

"Will they take JingYi away?" Wei Ying sat up fearfully, now terrified on behalf of the children.

It wasn't going to be only one child impacted by that decision.

"Honestly, I haven't got that much experience in that side of things. You both obviously care about the kid...so I hope not." He said quietly.

"Where's JingYi's dad?" Lan Zhan asked.

He didn't like where this was going, and was hoping for some kind of good news, at least. He hoped the cops had arrested him.

A spark of his previous anger came back in Officer Todd's brown eyes.

"He's absconded for now...but it's only a matter of time before we apprehend him." He said firmly.

"But...if he's still out there..." Wei Ying stood up, glancing at the door. "What's to stop him from coming to get JingYi?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 1.8K 38
That's my first story, so ignore so some unexpected mistake💫👁️‍🗨️💥 It's wangxian story where they become immortal throughout soul bond. Lan Wangj...
28.8K 1.1K 21
What if Lan Wangji suffered in Wei Wuxian's stead?
64K 4.3K 12
Lan WangJi met Wei WuXian 13 years later since they lost each other in high school. Reconnecting on a music festival, they were slowly unraveling the...
162K 9.5K 23
June 2020 *Fanfiction about Lan Zhan and Wei Wuxian. *Lan Zhan never thought he would found him again after leaving him alone in the hotel room, and...