The Crimson Chariot

By EmberAndAdrianna

November twenty-second was like any other Tuesday for the world, but in Valenchester, it was only the beginni... More

Authors Note
Synopsis & Trailer
Character Posters
Moodboards & Playlist
Dedication
00 | Ashes and Blood
01 | The Crimson Death
02 | Fools of Red
03 | Six Spilt Cups
04 | Silence and Secrets
05 | Hands of Justice
06 | Wheels of Ruin
07 | A Lover's Predicament
08 | Chalice of Hydra
10 | Confessions of a Sinner
11 | These Treacherous Lies
12 | Mirage of Myths
13 | The Devil's Mistress
14 | Angels of Hope
15 | Six Sickly Spears
16 | Scarlet Night
17 | In Cold Vengeance
18 | The Red Mourning
19 | Memories of Blue

09 | The Hanged Man

2.8K 166 81
By EmberAndAdrianna

November 19, 2012
Monday
10:24 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Amara confronted me today about why I tried to approach her parents the previous night. I didn't answer, I wasn't sure if I could trust her. Somehow, she knew though, she realized it was about you.

She asked me if it was Ethan and his friends who beat me up, noticing my black eye. I denied the accusation of course. She didn't need to get any more involved than she already was.

Instead, I asked her for her parents' number, hoping they would help me. She sighed, hesitating, but after a couple of tries, she agreed and passed the number to me.

"Please don't get in trouble. Or at least don't get my parents in trouble," she had asked and I smiled, nodding along as I lied. People need to get their hands dirty to get to the truth, and mine are hungry for blood.

I'm going to contact her parents and get this information to them. They're my last hope, Janet. I hope they won't fail me.

I love you.

Your brother,
Jeremy

***

ONCE WE WERE BACK AT THE STATION, I searched for the meaning of the Five of Cups tarot card Janet sent me in an attempt to get Aiden to believe me.

"Look!" I point to the screen where it shows the meaning.

Return.

"Do you believe me now?" I ask him and he sighs.

"I don't know rookie, I'm still convinced the brother is behind it. It's the most plausible explanation." He replies, and I rub my temples. "But after what happened today, I don't know where to believe in."

I consider the situation as a whole and an idea sparks up in my mind that can either end terribly or give us all the answers we need.

"Why don't we get Diana to help us dig more into this relationship between Janet and Ethan?" I suggest. "She was closer to Ethan and his family than I ever was. In the best-case scenario, we get to know more about them through her. Worst case scenario, we get nothing, but we also lose nothing, Besides, she won't be able to resist us since we're her affair a secret," I finish.

"So, you want us to work with the enemy by keeping her secret hostage?" Aiden asks, cocking his head to the side.

"Good guys need to get their hands dirty sometimes." I shrug and notice the slight smirk forming in the corner of his lips.

"Well, as you say, rookie. "I'll contact her and have her meet us at the cafe tomorrow," he says, then heads off to his desk to do his own searching on the case.

I expected the convincing to take way more effort but fortunately, Aiden may just be as crazy and stubborn as I am.

***

"Well, I do know that he and his friends were toying with her," Diana answers when we ask her about Ethan and Janet's relationship. "By the end of the school year, she was suffering from extreme depression. I tried to talk to her, but Ethan would always be there to pull her away."

"Well, do you think they could've been behind her death?" Aiden asks and Diana sharply inhales. I fidget with my fingers, hoping she doesn't lie to cover for her ex-fiance.

"I think I do," she answers, and I breathe out in relief.

Aiden nods before getting to his feet. Diana and I follow.

"Thank you for your time," he says to Diana before she leaves. A moment later, we walk out as well.

When outside, he stops me on the sidewalk.

"Hey, rookie..." he says, and I turn around to face him.

"What?" I ask and he scratches the back of his neck sheepishly. "I was wondering if you'd be willing to go to the opera with me Sunday evening. I bought two tickets but my friend bailed out, so..."

I furrow my eyebrows at the proposal. "Well, why don't you ask Ray if he wants to go with you?"

"Oh, he's taking his seven nieces to Disneyland this weekend."

"Seven?" I gasp.

"Yup," Aiden says and nods.

"Wow..." I mutter. "What about Savannah?"

He smiles and clicks his tongue. "I don't think she enjoys anything but brown noise."

I nod slowly, making an 'O' with my mouth. Coming to think about it, I am in power this once, and just for this once, I decide to exploit said power.

"I'm sorry but, can you repeat the first question you asked me?" I ask, a smirk forming at the corner of my lips.

"The part where I invited you to the opera?" he asks without a hint of what I'm getting at.

"Yup."

He shrugs and shoves his hands in his pockets. "Would you be willing to go the opera with me, rookie?"

I pass him the evilest grin I can produce. "Uh, 'rookie' will be off-duty Sunday evening. You can ask Amara out though!"

And that's when he finally gets the hint. "You're gonna regret this," he warns but his voice breaks as he lets out a little laugh.

"I'm fine with that." I smile back and watch as he takes in a deep breath and calms his nerves before seemingly facing his worst fear.

"Will you go to the opera with me..." he pauses.

"Go on?"

"...Amara?"

I clap a little as he finally utters my name. "Not that tough, was it?"

"I'd very much like an answer to my question," he insists, and I smile even wider.

"Yes Aiden, I'd like to go to the opera with you Sunday evening."

***

Aiden and I drive to the theater right after our shift ended on Sunday evening. The place is dripping with richness, be it the red velvet carpets and chairs or the golden walls and ceilings. A massive chandelier hangs above us, illuminated by what seems like a million tiny beads of light.

The people here are dressed in expensive taste, mostly in black, making the venue look like a lavish funeral or something. The extravagance makes the both of us stick out like two sore thumbs, dressed in sweaty work clothes.

We are watching Rigoletto by Verdi, based on the 1832 play Le roi s'amuse by Victor Hugo. Soon after we've taken our seats, the lights dim and the play starts.

After the first act is over, I yawn. "Are operas supposed to be boring?" I ask Aiden, half-expecting him to give me an angry side-eye, but he simply smiles.

"Boring is...subjective. Part of the achievement of reaching the climax is the struggle you faced to get there," he explains, and I notice a little twinkle in his eyes. "This is one of my favorite operas," he whispers to me.

"What's it about?" I ask since I have no idea what's happening on stage.

"The play stares love, death, and vengeance squarely in the face. At the climax, the heroine, despite knowing her lover is unfaithful, sacrifices her life to save him," he says and I sigh.

"Another instant of men fucking up and women being the ones to pay the price, I see." I roll my eyes and fold my arms across my chest, looking over to the stage as the second act begins.

Aiden nods slowly and breathes out. "I get where you're coming from, and it's fair. However, this story isn't entirely about betrayal. It's about the complexity of human emotions and how they drive us into doing something that may otherwise not be moral."

"Really?" I ask, turning my gaze to him.

He nods. "Imagine finding out the person you love not being the person you thought they were all along. Instead, they are a monster!" he says with the passion of a lover. "You've seen the worst side of them, but you still can't bring yourself to hate them. What should you do then?"

I assume it to be a question that doesn't need an answer and ask him another question in return. "Do you come here often?"

He nods, the graveness from a moment ago melting into a sweet, nostalgic smile. "I love the opera. I used to come here with my parents all the time! They were great enthusiasts of drama and theater" he says, sounding kind of giddy about it.

Were. Past tense. That was odd, I think to myself but don't say anything.

"That's cool," I say to acknowledge him. It is probably fifteen minutes later when his phone rings. It's from an officer back at the precinct.

"Aiden speaking," he says, and I can't make out what's been said on the other end. "We're on our way." He nods a few times before hanging up and I tighten my hold on my bag.

Aiden then turns to me, alarm in his eyes and voice.

"Archie Gardner wants to see us."

***

Once we arrive at the station, I catch sight of Archie standing nearby, holding a cardboard box in his hands while an officer, presumably the one who called us, stands to his left.

"Thanks, Henry. We'll take it from here," Aiden tells the officer, who leaves with a stern nod.

It's then that we finally turn to have a proper look at Archie. He looks exhausted and shabby, dressed in a white tee, denim jeans, and a faded denim jacket. His hair is unkempt, his dark skin is way darker than I recall from ten years ago and a musty smell of sweat radiates off of him.

Seeing one of the people who were possibly behind Janet's death, all alive and free awakes something in me. It's a deep-seated rage and I'm not sure if it's showing on my face. It's not fair that such a person is allowed to live while an innocent teenage girl died all those years ago at the hands of this monster. I bite my tongue to avoid saying something I shouldn't.

Aiden is the calmer one between the both of us. "Archie Gardner?" he asks and Archie nods. He then eyes the box. "What's in this?"

Archie silently places the box on a nearby desk before lifting off the top flap. Aiden and I peer into the box and what we see next makes our blood run cold.

Inside are Thomas' severed hands holding The Hanged Man tarot card.

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello Arcana's Don't worry you haven't been abandoned life just happens sometimes. I hope you liked this chapter and soon we will be back to our regularly scheduled program. We appreciate you.

- Ember and Adrianna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 340 18
Set in 2023 on a parallel universe, fifteen patients in a drug experiment research facility have no choice but to fight against a mutated version of...
198K 17K 44
A teen is stunned to discover he's half-vampire. Will being asexual-aromantic thwart bloodlust, or are there other emotions strong enough to trigger...
867 195 40
Hey there folks, I'm Cody Phillips, welcome to New Orleans. N'awlins is known for many wonderful things, our coffee, music and the ability to throw a...
52.1K 3.2K 86
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 | 𝐌𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 It's all fun and games until someone suggests killing each other's spouses for revenge. M...