Lost Timeline

By Songspire

A beginning, A middle, and an end. All stories have that in common. Alice feels like she landed right in the... More

Lost Timeline: Chapter 1

9 0 0
By Songspire

A/N: Hello poor souls! welcome to my concoction! I hope whoever reads, enjoys. If I do get going with this fanfic then I might update on my A03 account. For now though, it shall grow on here!

Adios!

________________________________________________________________________________

When Alice started feeling dizzy on her way to school, she didn't expect much.

It started with a small headache she could explain away due to her last minute cram session last night. Maybe it was the 5 hour energy she took. Honestly it could've been anything she'd been subjecting herself to the last couple days.

So, she took some Tylenol, drank a glass of water, and shook it off.

Her day started normally despite the headache. Her sister, Danny, hogged the shower until Alice had started threatening to turn the hot water off. After a thorough rough housing match between the two of them, she was able to have a quick shower and shove a piece of toast In between her teeth before she needed to leave for her bus.

She left a huge buttery smear on her mother's cheek when she wasn't paying attention and ran out of the house before her mom could glare back. Her father's quiet laughter seemed to follow as she left and the day started to seem like it was going to be okay.

She should have known something was wrong when she almost collapsed after standing up for her next class. But, she shrugged it off and excused it due to the blood rushing to her head.

Lunch was just as confusing since she couldn't seem to stomach the idea of eating anything. Her friends looked at her like she grew a second head, but she seemed to calm down a few worried glances by sneaking a few morsels of food off her friends plates. It had only taken 10 minutes after she'd eaten her last bite though, when she had to excuse herself and speed walk to the washroom. She proceeded to puke out everything she had eaten that day, albeit there wasn't much, but it was her only source of energy she had for her test that day.

Alice silenced her worry by vowing to never drink another 5 hour energy drink again.

Alice really knew something was wrong when the lab test she had been studying all week for, didn't even look English. The words seemed to flow all over the page and she couldn't even find the first question.

Looking away from the page seemed to make the world spin even worse than before, so she continued to stare down at her paper trying to bring it back to its English origins. She didn't seem to notice time passing, as she struggled to make sense of what was in front of her. Sure, she could hear the scratches of other students frantically writing down their answers. She could hear the creaking of the teachers chair as they readjusted throughout the exam. Worst of all, the clock seemed to ring in her head as every tick-tock shook her skull.

After what felt like eternity, words started to coagulate on the paper.

Well, If you could call them words. They looked old, creepy, and meaningless. It looked like something you'd find in an old archeological site. Something that would result in years of study and be the cause of great historical discovery.

Too bad it was on Alice's Lab test.

"Alright! Time's up! Pencils down and heads up!"

Alice couldn't move, the words kept changing, ever moving, nothing other than what was on her page mattered.

Sighs of exhaustion and relief circled Alice as the test ended. Friends and fellow students frantically looked around trying to gauge how their other peers felt about the test. The tick-tock of the clock kept on drilling a hole into her skull, and a chill seemed to settle into Alice's bones. Her heart beat rapidly and her stomach felt like it was continuously dropping as the teacher's shoes tapped towards her desk.

"Alice?"

Her ears were ringing. Something was definitely wrong, and all Alice could do was sit there in silent agony.

"Alice? Are you okay?"

Alice wanted to ask her teacher for help. She wanted to yell at someone to call the ambulance. But, the words on her page kept changing, more rapidly than they were before, and Alice couldn't make out what they were trying to say (not that she could before). Something in her very conscience was telling her she couldn't move, she wasn't allowed to, not until the words stopped.

"Alice, I need your test, time's up."

Alice frowned, or at least she tried to. The test had just started, she hadn't even written her name down.

"Alice, I need to know if you're okay. Can you look at me,"

The words on her paper were starting to slow down and fade away. The world was slowly starting to come back to her and Alice found she could slightly move her fingers now.

There was a hushed silence in the classroom as she came back. Everyone was staring intently towards her, and she could feel it, the multiple pairs of eyes on her. Curious and apprehensive, wondering what was going on.

"Alice, I'm really starting to get worried here."

The words, they were finally over. Relief washed over her and the chill she had experienced earlier rolled off her like early morning fog. Suddenly taking in a deep breath she didn't realize she needed, Alice looked at her teacher with pleading eyes and croaked out what she had been trying to say this whole time.

"Help."

The teacher's eyes seemed to widen in panic and Alice's body weight wasn't able to keep her upright in her chair anymore. Her vision tipped and the last thing Alice saw was the ground rushing at her as her world was cruelly ripped away.

—––—–——

"SLY—"

Alice's conscience seemed to tether together with a sudden screech that radiated off of tall walls. The voice created sound waves that shook the ground around her and she clenched the closest thing she could find. The pounding of her head started to taper off, leaving her mind in a foggy state of bewildered. Alice had practically crash landed back into existence and her unconscious twitch seemed to silence the previous noise around her. The silence only lasted a fraction of a second and was slowly overtaken with hushed whispers.

'Oh you poor soul. Poor, poor soul who found this world.'

Alice's previously closed eyes widened considerably in confusion. The voice seemed to be everywhere and nowhere. It felt almost like it was gouging out her very existence. Although the voice was an enigma, what she saw when she opened her eyes left her speechless for (what felt like) the second time today. For some reason she was in a long and expansive room. Lined parallel to each other were four tables littered with golden plates and glittering cutlery. The tables seemed to almost never end. A never ending sea of people who were sitting on either side of the table, looking up at where she was sitting. Small conversations of gossip passed along each other the longer she stared at the mass of people in front of her.

'I am terribly sorry, traveler, but I must put you in a house; as that is my reason for existing.'

Barely a whisper, Alice's voice exited her like a breath of summer's breeze,

"What...what's going on..."

'You traveler, seem to have traveled where you don't belong.'

Panic started settling into her body as she realized she had no idea where she was, or how she'd get back. The hushed tones from the other people sitting at their tables seemed to double in volume as the sheen of confusion in her eyes started to morph into fear.

"I-I don't understand... what... what happened."

'Speak in your mind traveler, I shall hear you.'

Alice unclenched her fingers around the rickety stool she realized she had used to ground herself earlier. As she unhooked her fingers from the sides of the wood, her fingers wouldn't stop trembling no matter how strongly she willed them to stop. Gritting her teeth, She moved her hands under her thighs and lightly pressed them to the rickety stool she found herself upon. She wasn't about to show any weakness to her apparent kidnappers.

"Who are you? Why am I here?"

'Traveler, I must insist you speak through your mind. We don't want anyone else hearing where you came from.'

The only good thing about this situation was the lack of pain she seemed to find herself in. Looking around, she started to notice different colors surrounding the rows of what seemingly belonged to a large range of younger children, and extended down to people who seemed closer to her own age.

'You are one of those young children now traveler.'

Apprehension seemed to pour over her. Alice didn't think she spoke out loud, but a lot of things seemed to be slipping her notice as the table behind her was finally brought to her attention from a small cough behind her. Filled by people who looked to be in their mid 40's to late 80's, they all seemed wary of Alice's confusion and panicked expression. Alice noticed a spot, or more imperative, a person missing. Right beside a man that exuded an air of confidence and arrogance, was a space at the end of the table that no one seemed to occupy except for the dishes and cutlery placed in front of it.

'My dear traveler, we don't have much time. I can not solve your questions, as I don't have the answers you need. I am here to sort you into a house that will strengthen and grow your character."

Alice turned back around hoping to spot the illusive voice that continually circled around her.

"You seem to thrive on friendship, and your loyalty is second to none. Many members of your circle come to you in time of need, and your advice is always wise. You do not shy away from giving comfort, and do not hesitate to ask your peers if you yourself need that same comfort.'

Honestly, Alice was starting to think she was dreaming. Maybe she was in a coma. Her mind might just be creating something to keep her unresponsive body occupied. She was starting to realize the voice that seemed to be all around her, was coming from a soft and comforting pressure on her head.

'You have the drive and cunning ability of a snake. Your thoughtful but calculative mind will thrive here, and this house will grow to accept your strengths. You will have the chance to save, just as you have the same chance to destroy. It will take a while, but at this moment in time, you do not have the capability to be here.'

Something akin to recognition seemed to spark in Alice, as she looked around the Hall.

'You have lots of experience, many years above your peers, and will grow even more with continuous challenges to your wisdom. Although you place your wit slightly higher than it may be, this house will appreciate the banter you bring.'

Red, yellow, green, and blue were the most predominant colors surrounding the tables. One table had the blue banner of an eagle situated above it. Another banner featured was a ferocious lion ready to strike, surrounded by a warm red. Beside that was a green snake, shrouded in a green hue that hid its moves from any threat. The last banner in the hall was a calm badger encompassed by a welcoming yellow glow. Alice was starting to put things together, and it wasn't helping her suddenly receding tunnel vision. Her breathing started to pick up when she realized that the banners weren't hanging on anything, they were floating in the air, surrounded by thousands of similarly floating candles. Where there should've been a ceiling, was a beautiful and inspiring vision of the illusive and seductive night sky.

'Where others stumble, you strive to do better. No matter the costs, you will protect those who matter to you. It seems you are in need of those same people to keep you from losing your very self. It seems I have no choice, what should've been obvious from the beginning.'

"GRYFFINDOR!"

A cacophony of sound surrounded the hall, one table was the main reason for such ruckus, but other tables cheerfully clapped along.

The table, which couldn't be anything other than Slytherin, was calmly and methodically clapping along. Their eyes full of interest and uptight smiles seemed to be copied from one face onto another along the table.

The table covered In everything yellow and gold cheered in relief (whether that relief was aimed toward her or themselves, she didn't know) and a few rounds of hidden high-fives passed along under their table. Gossip seemed to be prevalent in this house as they passed along their thoughts and conspiracy theories.

The table that was tastefully designed to feature their main color blue, clapped enthusiastically but kept polite smiles among themselves. You could see a few people writing down in their notebooks and a few stray people curiously eyeing Alice as she still sat on the stool with the worn out sorting hat still on her head.

A soft and comforting hand was placed on Alice's shoulder as she was silently experiencing everyone's reactions. Apparently her fate had been decided. Caused by a hat that didn't help Alice's confusion, or answer any of her questions. She didn't hear anything else from the offensive thing as it was removed from her head, leaving a bird nest in its wake.

"Come along Alice dear, you've got to sit among your house now."

Alice looked towards the smooth voice and saw a comforting expression projected towards her. The woman's eyes had slight crows feet, and her soft wrinkles indicated a stern face that smiled frequently. On her head was a large hat that was pointed upwards, defying gravity.

Going along with the motions, Alice nodded and lightly stood from the stool, still hiding her shaking hands from the view of others. The house she was heading towards, Gryffindor, seemed to be the loudest table in the hall and only got louder the closer she got. Before she could really register what was currently going on, she found she was surrounded by young kids and the kind woman who escorted her here was already leaving back where she came from.

Before the sound of raucous youths could quiet down, a loud flash aimed at Alice went off and soot seemed to slightly disperse in the air. Alice, already on edge, almost fell off her chair and was dangerously close to giving herself whiplash with how fast her neck swiveled towards the cause of the noise. A sheepish face of a soaking wet boy peered around the side of an old 1990's camera with a large flash attachment.

"SORRY! I didn't mean to startle yah! I'm just so excited! My name's Colin! Colin Creevey! You are?"

surprise flashed in Alice's eyes, she recognized that name.

"Colin?"

"Yepp!" Colin made a loud popping noise at the end of his affirmation and slapped his soaking wet hand down on the table in excitement, "That's me! I heard your first name, Alice! The hat said it before you went up!"

A soft sigh was heard beside Colin and a girl with beautiful red hair and a face full of freckles was rubbing her temples. "It's called the sorting hat Creevey."

"Oi! That's right! The sorting hat! Thanks Ginerva!"

A sigh even louder than the last echoed Colin's unappreciated politeness.

"Please, it's Ginny."

Alice kept looking from Colin to Ginny, her eyes almost tripled in size due the names being passed around. She knew those names, she grew up on some of those names.

"Sorry, got distracted for a bit! This is Ginny Weasley," Colin made sure to put emphasis into Ginny as he pointed towards her, "And you are Alice...."

"Alice Weston is her name! She's Mathew Weston's sister!"

"Mathew Weston?! I saw his latest story on the daily prophet! About his latest exploration in the Amazon rainforest and how some deadly magical creatures got accidentally classified as a harmless muggle one!"

Sentences kept getting exchanged along the table. All Alice could do without immediately passing out was stare at the ghastly golden goblet in front of her and try to slowly breathe. That was not her last name, and Alice did not have a brother named Mathew. She didn't even have a brother, period. She had a younger sister; Danny was her name. It didn't even closely resemble the name Mathew. How the hell did they mess that up? This was all wrong and she didn't know what was going on but her entire world was crashing around her as loud waves in the form of excited children.

"Please! Quiet down students! We still have others to sort tonight, and I'm not too sure about you but I'm famished!"

An ancient looking man seemed to project his voice throughout the hall, his gaudy robes were flashy and against any fashion sense known to man, but his face showed wisdom and kindness much younger than his physical demeanor. His eyes seemed to sparkle as he looked along the hall. Alice froze as the older man's eyes seemed to focus on her, worry and interest reflecting through his eyes. He had a long beard that flowed like a calm river down his face and reached a point near his navel.

Silence echoed his statement and he calmly took his eyes off Alice to look around the room once more before flashing a noticeable wink and sat back down at the middle of the table behind the sorting hat.

"That's Dumbledore," Said Ginny in a hushed whisper (clearly trying to prove her knowledgeable head start) as she pointed towards the man that just sat back down in his chair, "The greatest headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen."

Things were slowly coming together for Alice as more names got called up for their version of house sorting. Which, seemed like seconds compared to her complicated mess of a sorting. This couldn't be real. Alice could only give herself excuses towards this sudden reality she found herself in. Yet, all the evidence pointed at her seemed to bring her to the same conclusion.

She had tried pinching herself, meditating as the hat continued to sort, she even tried wishing (almost pleading) the world to send her back. Nothing was working, and Alice couldn't ignore any of the senses that surrounded her. She wouldn't have been able to feel the soft wood of the table in her dreams, and the golden utensils wouldn't have blinded her like they were at the moment.

The names, the houses, the sorting Hat, and what seems like Dumbledore sitting at the main table while 11 year old's were being sorted into their respective houses. Everything pointed to one direction and Alice didn't like where this was going.

Clapping and cheers were a constant throughout Alice's panic. A few others ended up in Gryffindor, and they received the same welcome she had, although without the same confusion and worry she seemed to bring upon the house. She didn't get any names, as she was trying very hard to stay cognizant.

Once the rest of the first year's got welcomed to their table and the introductions were made, Dumbledore stood up from his chair once again.

"Welcome one and all, first years and seventh years. Although we seem to be missing some students right now..."

Alice heard Ginny sucking in a breath of panic after looking around the hall for the sudden offenders.

"...However, to those who are here, may this year bring new beginnings and happy memories to last us a millennia. Welcome to Hogwarts!"

Food popped into existence on the table and excited first years stared at the spread in wonder, while the older years dug into their food without a thought. Alice stared at the eager faces and her head seemed to be empty at the impossible events that had unfolded before her.

"So!" Said the still wet Colin whose mouth was unflatteringly stuffed with food, "What'd the hat say to you?"

Alice looked towards him and silently shrugged her shoulders. She hoped that would be the end of it, but Colin just continued with apt interest.

"It even changed houses halfway through! Did you notice that?"

Colin was also nudging Ginny as he made his unwanted observation and after a soft wack to his shoulder, Ginny's gaze moved from her plate to Alice. The sparkle in her eyes made Alice gulp. It seemed Colin wasn't the only one who was mildly curious.

"Yeah, it seemed like it was going to put you in Slytherin before!" That comment was made by an uninvited fourth party who sat a couple seats down the table. Once the dam lifted, a few other people on the Gryffindor table dropped the innocent act and started eavesdropping unabashedly.

"I heard Slytherin was full of evil wizards! Dark Wizards!"

"Half of he-who-must-not-be-named followers are from Slytherin, did you know?"

"Half?! I heard it was all his followers!"

Alice couldn't take it anymore. Everyone was talking around her in circles and she really just needed to be alone. Her body reacted on her own, and before she knew it, Alice slammed her hands on the table as she stood up. Silence surrounded her for a second and she slipped out behind the bench she was previously seated in.

"My apologies, I think I just need to..."

It seemed Alice lost the battle to keep herself calm, and for the second time that day, Alice's world slowly became dark and the floor crashed towards her. The last thing she could hear was exclamations of concern and a loud incantation before she fell into the warm arms of darkness. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

119K 2.8K 43
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
475K 17.1K 96
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
121K 5.9K 56
(y/n) (l/n) a girl who was born in the modern world who somewhat ends up in the taisho era of demon slayer. Her sassiness and eccentric attitude capt...
162K 7.8K 53
Four siblings, two elder brothers and two younger sisters living with their rich parents!! Get ready to enter the life of these siblings and their fa...