My Confederate Soldier

By Loves_to_write78

Cover Art by: LiveBetter. Alice is a young biracial free slave. Living with her white father in the heart of... More

My Confederate Soldier

Chapter Two

2.1K 87 17
By Loves_to_write78

Alice awoke the next morning with her fathers words on her mind. She was no longer allowed in town until farther notice. He claimed it was not safe. She knew it was the result of the Confederate Army making their way this far. Or it might have been Gabriel's doing. Maybe even both. Her father was in a sour mood for the entire day. Mumbling inaudible words that Alice tried to catch. All she managed to get was slaves,not safe here, underground needs more help, and marriage. She was confused. Even more so by the words marriage and underground. What was underground, who needed help, and who was getting married?

Loud banging sounded downstairs followed by loud shouting. Alice quickly got out of bed. She tossed on her bed robe and headed downstairs.

"Miss Alice go back to your room,"James said as he rushed over to her from the doorway.

"What's going on?"

"Alice go. Stay there until me or James tells you its safe for you to come out,"her father said as he flew down the stairs, rifle in hand.

"What's happening?"

Charles took her by the arm and forced her in the direction of the stairs.

"Girl get your behind up the stairs now. And lock the door behind you."he said angrily to her. Louder knocks sounded at the front door. Charles clocked his gun and turned his attention back to the thunderous noise maker.

"Go Alice."Charles said roughly as he nodded to James to answer the door.

Alice ran up the stairs. Without looking back. She kept running making it back to her room within seconds. She slammed her bedroom door behind her and locked it. What was going on? She didn't get what was happening or what it was that had the two men downstairs in such a fright.

Alice had never seen her father act in such a manner or handle her as he did. Something just had to be terribly wrong.

She couldn't help but jump when she heard a loud booming sound. The crashing of glass sounded right after. Alice looked around her room for something to put in the front of her door. She ran and got the chair that was at her desk. She placed the chair under her doorknob.

Alice heard a scream followed by the sound of a gun firing. Was that James? Could that have been Charles screaming as he took his last breath? She was about to reach of her door handle when it begin to jiggle. She quickly moved backwards.

"This ones locked." A crude voice said from the other side of the door.

"Break the son of a bitch down Billy. They might be in there."

"Stand back. I need room."

Alice was so frozen with fear. She didn't even think to hide under her bed. She only continued to back away until her back collided against the wall.

A gasp fall from her lips as her bedroom door was kicked in. It flew back hard against the wall, hanging barely on its hinges. The chair fall over to the ground.

"Well ain't no slaves in her-"

The man stop as his eyes landed on Alice. " Something better is in here instead."

"And what's that?"The second man said as he joined the first man in Alice's room.

"Ah, definitely better."he said as his eyes zoomed in on her.

"Watch you thinking Roger?"the first man said to his companion.

"I think we stumbled upon a rare find. And I think we should bring her right along with us Billy."

"Can't help but agree. What's 'ur name gal?"

Alice tried to speak. She could only utter a breathless mumble. Where was James and her father?

"Think she's one of them mutes or em deaf mutes."

"Naw,she is just scared. We broke the poor little lady's door."

"Sorry about that miss but were only searching this here house as we were ordered to. We ain't gonna harm you." Billy said as he didn't waste any time making his way over to her.

Alice didn't believe one word he said. The look in his eyes said it all. Her legs moved before he could close in on her. She leaped and half crawled over her bed.

"Woe." Roger said as he made quick to block her from going any farther.

Alice screamed as Billy pulled her hard against his chest.

"Shhh."Billy said as he placed a hand over her mouth. Alice screamed louder over and over. Which wasn't any good the screams only became muffled under his hand. It did nothing to prevent Roger or Billy to stop and think twice about their actions. Nor did it stop Roger from ripping the front of her nightgown. Before the two men could venture any farther they were interrupted by a commanding and quite upset voice.

"Let her go." Anderson's second in command ordered.

As soon as the words were said she was released. Without hesitation she ran out of her room not even bothering to find out who had came to her rescue. She half stumbled her way down the stairs it was miracle she wasn't tumbling down them.

She walked into a complete mess. Not only that but blood,a pool of blood. Her eyes came to rest on their lifeless bodies. James was face down by the doorway and her father was only a few feet away with a knife jetting from his chest. How did this happen? It had to be a dream.

Alice's eyes rolled to the back of her head and she was consumed by darkness. If she hadn't fainted then she would have been doubled over emptying her belly.

She awoke to someone pressing something cold and wet to her face. Slowly she opened her eyes. She jerked wide awake as she saw him hovering over her.

She quickly scrambled away from him.

"Please don't be afraid. I'm sorry for what those two did. They will answer for what they have done."

Alice burst into tears as the realization hit her. James and her father were dead. She was alone. She had almost been raped. This wasn't all just some bad dream.

Gabriel pulled her over to him to give her comfort. She slapped him hard.

"I can see that you are devastated by today's events." He said as she crushed her to his chest.

"Don't touch me."she wailed as she choked on her tears. Why? That was she could think of and ask.

"Why?"she said harshly.

"I'm truly sorry. Those two weren't supposed to have entered the house. They were ordered to observe."

"For what? My father wasn't a criminal."

"He was in the eyes of the Confederate Army if it had been proved that he was helping slaves. Which is a crime."

"He wasn't."

"Which is why those men were ordered by Anderson to only observe. And report back with their findings. Our commander, had received word that your father and a couple of other men in this town were doing just that. Giving aid to runaways."

"He wasn't. And they murdered two innocent men for nothing."

"You mean your father. Your slave does not count."

"And what of me? A girl who has one black pa-"

His hand clamped down hard over her mouth. He pulled her back so she could see his face.

"Hush. I know. And that is something you will be keeping to yourself from this day forward. Don't ever make that fact known."

How did he know? He saw the question flash in her eyes.

"The lovely Mrs.Pate filled me in about you when I pulled her aside to get information about you. Your secret is safe with me."

Very slowly Gabriel removed his hand.

"Why should I trust you?"

"Because I haven't made it known to anybody what you are."

"Why?"

"Alright look here. I need you to get dressed. This house has been seized it now belongs to th-"

"What's going on?"Alice cut in.

"Look you can't stay here. This house is going to be used as housing for soldiers."

"This is my home. You can't just take it from me. Where am I supposed to go?"

"With me."

"No I won't."

"I can take you somewhere safe. Or would you rather stay here. I can't protect you if you do. It won't be safe for you here. And you know it."

"I feel sick.'Alice said as she laid back down on the bed. This was unreal. Had her father really been helping slaves get their freedom. But weren't they free men.

"I found this." Gabriel said as he held out the small portrait of her mother. "If its yours you may want to burn it. I already know it is."

"No I won't ."Alice said as she snatched it away from him.

"It wouldn't be wise to keep it. You are lucky I got to it before anyone else."

"I don't care."

"Listen to me. I know that the Thomas cousins are only the beginning and they are far worse out there in this world. You were lucky today, tomorrow maybe, again then maybe not. Either you come with me where I can take you somewhere safe or I can take you kicking and screaming."

Why do you even care?"

"Did I say that did?"

"Why are offering help that I don't want?"

"Alright. I reckon we are done here. The next time you find yourself between two men about to take you against your will and I happen to come just in the nick of time I promise to keep my trap closed." Gabriel said as he got up. He turned to leave.

"Thank you." Alice said low. She was thankful for that. She truly was.

"Get changed. This house is going to be loaded with men."Gabriel said before shutting the door behind him.

Alice rolled over onto her side. She had been placed in her fathers bedroom. She didn't understand. How can he bed dead? This all felt like a bad dream.

She had no one. No place to go. This was the only home the she had. She didn't have any intentions of leaving it so soon. She was being forced to evacuate. Her world had fallen apart. She didn't know what to do.

After ten minutes of just laying there she moved. She got up and changed in zombie like movements. She didn't know who had taken the liberty of placing her clothes out for her. Yet she had a clue it might have been him.

Alice looked down at the small portrait. She wasn't getting rid of it. It was all she had left. How could she destroy this?

Alice heard the sound of men outside the house. He hadn't been lying when he said they would be here soon. Alice moved towards the door. She hadn't packed a single thing. She opened the door to find Gabriel waiting in the hall for her.

"I am will be escorting you to the home of a relative."

"There isn't any one."

"As I said I before I will be escorting you to the home of a relative."

"What are you talking about? There isn't any. And if there was they wouldn't take me in."

"Jeez woman you don't have the slightest bit of survival skills. As far as the General knows you will be from this moment forward, on your way to stay with a family member."

"Why are you doing this?"Alice was confused. He knew what she was. She didn't fit in his world. She was unacceptable.

"Doing what?"he said nonchalantly as he pulled her down the hall towards the stairs. Alice was about to speak when she saw Billy making his way up the stairs. With hesitation Alice moved behind Gabriel.

"Its alright. He wont hurt you. In fact I believe he wants to apologize."

"I don't want his apology."Alice said as she refused to look in Billy's direction.

"Alright. Whatever you want darlin."

"Anderson has arrived,sir."Billy said as he stopped in front of Gabriel. He stood at attention. He choose not to glance in Al ices direction.

"Dismissed."

"Aye sir." Both men saluted each other. Billy quickly made his exit.

"I took the liberty of packing a few of your things."

"If I am I to leave my home. I won't need your help to do that. I can make my own way. And I will not leave until I that my father has a proper burial."

"My men have already seen to that."

"I don't need your men doing anything. I don't your help. I don't want it. What I do want is for you all to leave."

"Nothing would make me more happy then to do as you requested."

~~~~A.N.~~~~~~

Had to rewrite so I could keep PG 13 rating

Continue Reading