Shuri, Daughter of Ramonda's...

By TensFrog

She needed a little bit more time away from being the princess of Wakanda. So, she did exactly that. She acce... More

1.
Interlude: Riri
3.

2.

83 1 0
By TensFrog

"You okay?"

Shuri snapped out of her reverie. They were at a pizza joint now, sitting in a secluded booth in the corner of the restaurant where no one but the waiter would bother them.

"Nothing."

But Riri was not convinced. She sat up straight and cleared her throat.

"It was the kiss cam, wasn't it? Was there some royal protocol that I broke? I'm so -"

"No, no, no!" Shuri stopped her right there. She didn't want Riri thinking that she had done something wrong. "Have you seen pictures of my brother with his wife at the UN? They held hands and even kissed in public. Trust me, there is no royal protocol about that."

"Really? I thought it was like the British royal family."

"Nah, the British royal family is wack," Shuri shook her head. "No, it wasn't that."

"Then what's wrong?"

Shuri looked down at her overly-cheesed pizza. She didn't really like it, but Riri seemed to be enjoying herself so much that she didn't have the heart to tell her that a simple burger was fine for her.

There had been many close calls recently on who would have gotten her first kiss. It was weird. Some may think that because she was princess of Wakanda, she would have people falling at her feet to date. But the public eye had always been on T'Challa, not her, and she had been too wrapped up in her studies to care. Between being the head of scientific research along with many, many world ending scenarios -

Shuri was 21 and had never been kissed. There was a moment down in Talokan where there may have been something between her and Namor, before Nakia had killed one of his people and they had gone to war. For one second, she had considered him.

But it was gone with a flash when she realized that she didn't feel for him that way. She respected Namor and he respected her. Why else would Wakanda be protecting the seas as she had promised him?

So when a chance came during that kiss cam, Shuri felt stuck. She didn't want her first kiss to be forced. She wanted it to be in a safe space. She wanted it to be by choice.

And she wouldn't mind if it was Riri, either.

"I kissed your cheek, not the other way around. Mind you," Shuri took a sip from her drink. "Besides... It just felt weird because I've never..."

"Kissed a girl?" Riri supplied. Her face was guarded.

"Kissed anyone ," Shuri grimaced.

"No way."

"Yes. I'm the all mighty protector and have never kissed a person that isn't my baba and umama on their cheeks." Shuri felt the blood rush to her checks. So many people that she knew had their first kiss way before the age of 16. She never really saw any interest in just kissing people for the sake of kissing people or having experience. And she never really had a crush on people either.

Riri seemed genuinely interested now. "Not even a palace boy?"

"We don't have palace boys in Wakanda," Shuri raised her eyebrow. "So no."

"Well, is there anyone you want to kiss?"

Shuri looked Riri straight in the eye.

"Yes, very much."

"And who are they?"

Shuri didn't want to ruin Christmas by telling Riri that she wanted to kiss her. They were in the same room, same house. Shuri would sleep in the garage before telling Riri she liked her.

"I met them recently. We landed ourselves in quite the predicament."

"I see..." Riri trailed off. She shook her head and smiled. "Well, my roommate MJ kissed this guy who ghosted her and now she is going back home and confronting him."

"What do you mean?"

"You should confront," Riri said again and she put her hand on the arm that wore the bracelet from Talocan. It didn't dawn on Shuri what Riri had meant by that because her kimoyo beads rang again.

She cursed in Xhosa under her breathe. This time, it was Okoye.

"Princess," she said when Shuri excused herself to the bathroom. "We need you back in Wakanda."

"The world has been quiet for a month," Shuri said in an annoyed voice. "What happened?"

"The US is getting restless. Some wardogs are reporting that they may invade us."

Shuri clenched her fist.

"Merry Christmas from the USA," Shuri rubbed her temples. It was meant with as much sarcasm as she could muster. "And what does Lord M'Baku say?"

"Lord M'Baku is being M'Baku," Okoye clicked her tongue. "Snippy, but he is just. He has warned against any incursions. But other formerly colonized countries in the UN are vocalizing their disdain."

"Good, the colonizers are the real enemy. I cannot believe how blind we were."

"Yes... which is why we need you to call Namor for council," Okoye looked grave. "He will only listen to you."

Shuri knew it would be coming, but she didn't want to.

"How long do I have?" Shuri grimaced.

"The UN won't convene for another few days."

"Okay," Shuri said weakly. When she walked back out, Riri was once more met with a grave face. But before she could ask, Shuri took off her bracelet.

"You are now officially my secret keeper. Hide it from me."

"What if something happens?"

Shuri took a deep breath. "They will find me if it gets bad. Let's go out, shall we?"

For the rest of the day, Riri took her around the city. They got one of those tacky tourist hats and bracelets, and then visited the Museum of Science and Industry. Shuri was fascinated at how far technology got without vibranium, but still feared what the USA and other countries would do with it. They had invented far worse things.

Stop thinking about war, her brother said. Enjoy this.

Riri didn't actually know any good clubs in Chicago and wouldn't trust her friends' recommendations. So instead, they ended up at a random cash-only club that had music trashier than Okoye's taste (she still, after all, hated the Midnight Angel outfit).

But Shuri loved it. She forgot where she was and just felt the beat. Though the black panther necklace rested in her necklace, she didn't feel like princess Shuri.

At least, not while she was with Riri. They didn't mention Wakanda again and it was drink after terrible drink. Sadly, Shuri couldn't get drunk so she found herself carrying Riri.

Drunk Riri could not stop laughing and it took all of their power to stay quiet.

"Don't tell my mum," Riri snickered. "The legal age in the USA is -" she hiccuped. "- 21. But technically I am 24."

"And they just let us in?" Shuri looked shocked.

Riri shrugged, "yeah."

"I need to get you some food or something."

"Don't need food when I already have a snack," Riri slurred and patted Shuri's face. "I like your face youshouldhavekissedmeyester. Too bad you like the mermaid."

"Huh?"

Then it clicked.

thought that she liked Namor.

Riri wanted to kiss her back.

"Oh Riri," Shuri wanted to laugh, but that was a conversation for another time. Shuri tip-toed up the stairs and put Riri into bed. She sneaked back down the stairs and grabbed some water and aspirin for her just in case she needed it in the morning.

Shuri wasn't tired, but she couldn't keep the smile off her face.

"I see you two had fun," Riri's aunt walked into the house and already knew that was up. Upon the confused look on Shuri's face, her aunt elaborated.

"You don't think I don't know what young adults do on a Friday night?"

"No, I gather you do."

Riri's aunt eyed her and put her bags on the table. There was something on her mind.

"I know those tattoos on your beck and hand. I know who you are," she said carefully. "Now, your highness, I do not know what you want with my niece, but you don't get to come here and mess up her life. She's on a scholarship to MIT. She was doing well. Things were looking up. I cannot have you risk it."

The comment about Shuri being royalty yesterday shouldn't have passed by her.

"She's safe."

"She's safe, for now," the aunt agreed. "What is to say that she won't be used again, huh? Riri didn't tell nobody what she was doing in Wakanda, but I have a brain, you see. You recruited her? For what either than to nurture her talents and get her in trouble."

"Ms. Williams," Shuri began, but she held up a hand.

"Riri will get mad, but I want you out of the house. Not tonight, but I know you have other obligations to follow. In the morning. That's my only wish."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

597K 9.3K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
65K 1.3K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...
951K 21.8K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.1M 20.1K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...