璧玉之輪 | Fortuitous Jade

By baitian_exe

"HeiLi, you will be dispatched for another mission" Hearing that, Xiao Tian immediately leaped off the window... More

Character + Glossary
Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2 - A glimpse of you
Chapter 3 - Obsession
Chapter 4 - Encounter
Chapter 5 - Promises
Chapter 6 - Attraction
Chapter 7 - A Nickname?
Chapter 8 - HeiLi
Chapter 9 - I am not a Prey
Chapter 10 - It's a date!
Chapter 11 - A fleeting moment
Chapter 12 - My past
Chapter 13 - Jade Pendant
Chapter 14 - Partner
Chapter 15 - Dreams
Chapter 16 - Reunion
Chapter 17 - Storm
Chapter 18 - Rivalry
Chapter 20 - This is unlike you
Chapter 21 - Point of no return
Chapter 22 - Just like the old times
Chapter 23 - Vengeance
2nd Anniversary!
Chapter 24 - Yearning
Chapter 25 - Turmoil
Chapter 26 - Intoxication
Chapter 27 - Identity
Chapter 28 - Fragments of the past
Chapter 29 - Crimson Shard
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - Instincts
Chapter 32 - Memory
Chapter 33 - Xiao Tian
Chapter 34 - Someone Special

Chapter 19 - Mission Complete

40 5 0
By baitian_exe

Chapter Notes:

Recap: No matter how much Zi Shi tries to win Xiao Tian's heart, his junior would always respond coldly. But how come a mere stranger who he just met a few months back could.. Though the purple-haired assassin didn't worry too much.

For at the end of the day, that man is Xiao Tian's target.

It won't be long before he too, disappears.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

The most frightening thing about Xiao Tian is not just his prowess.

But it's the fact that he is extremely unpredictable.

Not a soul can read those jade eyes. Not even his partner Zi Shi who had stayed beside him for more than a decade. Who would have thought, the short-haired assassin who went on festivals with Bai Feng, the same man who treated the informant's wounds ever so gently, would suddenly turn hostile once more?

"Stop fooling around and finish your target. Is this target beyond your capabilities, yěmāo*?" the tan-skinned assassin's tone was definitely malicious.
*means stray cat

"You are the supposed harbinger of death. Remember the moment you cease to be useful in my eyes.. With a flick of a finger, I could easily make an insignificant life as you perish." those steel-colored eyes were filled with fury.

Xiao Tian holds no fear of people. However, the assassin's leader is a whole different case. Besides, he does owe his life to the man.

I'm the one in control of your life.

Is the one sentence the jade-eyed assassin had burnt into his soul.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Leaping from one rooftop to another, the onyx-haired assassin lasered his focus towards his goal. Mercilessly he takes down guards in order to lure his target.

Arriving at his destination, Xiao Tian saw the cedar-haired man standing alone in the courtyard.

"Is this the end of our contract?" those beautiful golden orbs were glazed with a hint of sorrow.

"It'll just take one strike," the assassin said calmly.

"As if I'll go down that easily" the informant hissed back as the two prepared their stances.

Xiao Tian clicked his tongue. Because even in this grim situation, his vision had beautiful colors in them.

Will these faint hues fade too once the informant is gone?

Sadly, the assassin doesn't have the luxury to even think of another option. He was tasked to eliminate Bai Feng and he must succeed. Exchanging no further words, their weapons clashed rapidly as the assassin began to attack the cedar-haired beauty.

"You seem to be more determined this time Xiao Bai" the onyx-haired assassin made an off-hand comment as he grazed the informant's arm, watching as his white robes slowly stained red.

"I still have some unfinished business." Bai Feng dashed to the assassin and grabbed his shoulders before using him as a platform to somersault onto the rooftop

The informant quickly grabbed his talisman and a bright golden circle immediately appeared behind Bai Feng. Then out of a sudden, smaller replicas of his sword rained rapidly on the assassin, landing cuts and grazes on the masked man's limbs.

Once the myriad of attacks subsided, Xiao Tian leaped onto the rooftop and flung his dagger onto Bai Feng head-on. The cedar-haired beauty arched his back to dodge but the assassin yanked the chains connecting his daggers and the blade effectively swung back.

Relying purely on instincts, Bai Feng leaped onto the ground below.

"I like you Xiao Bai," the assassin started but was quickly interrupted by the cedar-haired beauty.

"I almost forgot that you also cultivate." the informant clicked his tongue as he watched Xiao Tian land in front of him.

Bai Feng immediately dealt heavy blows to the assassin without giving his opponent any time to recover. Yet the assassin blocked the incoming attacks with great precision, using both of his blades to push away the informant's sword before quickly tripping the cedar-haired beauty.

As Bai Feng fell on his back, the assassin immediately stabbed the ground next to the informant. Only missing a few inches as the golden-eyed beauty rolled to the side, hastily trying to regain his stance.

Still, the assassin was quick to grab his dagger and was about to thrust his blade into Bai Feng's chest when the informant landed a clean high kick on Xiao Tian.

The harsh kick caused the assassin's head to spin slightly, yet in this grim situation, he still had the time to let out a soft chuckle.

"You stole my move," the jade-eyed assassin straightened his posture but instantly leaped backwards when he sensed the ground rumbling.

Bai Feng had planted his hands onto the ground and the soil was starting to tremble. As Xiao Tian leaped midair, he swung his daggers and jade green blades sliced the air in the informant's direction. The qi-infused attacks swiftly cut through those beautiful ivory robes with ease, creating deep gashes on Bai Feng's arms, effectively stopping the ground from shaking.

Then in a split second, Xiao Tian dashed in Bai Feng's direction and had already stabbed the informant's chest.

Everything turned into a stop. 

"You promised you wouldn't hurt him!" a voice in Xiao Tian's head roared but he kept his focus on Bai Feng.

"You had put up a good fight until the end, princess." the jade-eyed man whispered.

"It might be rewarding.. For you to kill me now.. But let me go.. And I'll show you.. The ultimate hunt." Bai Feng coughed up blood as his vision started to blur.

Then Xiao Tian felt a grip on his right wrist.

"This mission.. Isn't worth your losing.. Your entertainment over.. Don't you think?" the informant's eyelids finally shut closed as his breath became labored.

Xiao Tian held Bai Feng in his arms as his vision quickly loses its colors. His only light is now gone. Luckily the masked man does not even have an ounce of emotion in his heart.

The assassin then started to count down in his head. Just like he always does during his kills.

"20.. 19.. 18.."

Xiao Tian looked down at his dagger lodged into the informant's chest, noticing how warm Bai Feng's body felt against his. Yet he knows if he doesn't do anything, even this cedar-haired beauty will quickly turn cold as his life force flickers away.

As he felt the informant's heartbeat get weaker, the assassin clicked his tongue.

Normally he won't even spare a glance after assassinating his target, but why can't he let go of this golden-eyed man? He's just another target—

Before Xiao Tian even realized, he quickly lit up a special flare Bai Feng always kept by his side. Then the assassin cut off a handful of the informant's silky cedar hair before leaping off and glancing one last time at his target's body on the ground.

The ultimate hunt.. I'll see what you'll have in store for me Xiao Bai.

It was almost a perfect night for a certain doctor, but the moment he saw a unique firework lighting up the sky.. The usually composed gentleman shattered his tea cup as his blood ran cold.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

When the doctor arrived, the manor was in utter chaos and a heavy scent of blood was present in the courtyard.

"Bai Feng!!" the ivory robe-cladded man raised his tone as he watched the informant being surrounded by his attendants trying to stop his bleeding.

"Make way!" the doctor exclaimed as he immediately focused on saving the injured man.

Moments before Bai Feng lost consciousness, his mind wandered to moments when he and the assassin had spent time together. Was it all for show? Was that purely just so he would have his guard down around the assassin? Was his intuition correct?

As time passed, Bai Feng, who was heavily injured, finally opened his eyes. The cedar-haired beauty found himself lying on his comfortable bed. Bandages all over his body, but fortunately alive.

Blinking a few times, trying to clear his vision, the medic came into view.

"Bai Feng! Sorry, I got too excited seeing you awake after so long.. You should rest longer.." the doctor smiled gently, yet it was a pained one.

Still disorientated, the informant stared at his brother for a little while. But all Bai Feng could remember was the masked assassin, lodging a blade into his own chest. The informant's eyelids once again felt heavy, as he slowly succumbed to darkness once more.

HeiLi..

The security of Bai Feng's home tightened dramatically with the medic in charge. The older brother made sure that no one would be able to get access to the main chamber without going through him first.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

The first thing Bai Feng saw after being unconscious for quite some time was his brother's worried face.

It might be a long time for others, but for the informant, that fateful day was just like yesterday.

"Xiong.." Bai Feng grimaced at his own hoarse voice as he tried to sit on the bed.

"Don't force yourself.." the doctor fetched his little brother some water before urging him to rest.

The informant looked outside as leaves had started to turn yellow, catching him off guard.

"How long was I.. Were you here the whole time Xiong Zhang*?" the cedar-haired beauty sported a guilty expression.

*a respectful, overly formal way to address your own brother

"How could I leave? Don't scare me like that ever again Bai Feng.. I really thought I lost you that night.." the medic sternly warned, yet his voice was still gentle.

"This one apologizes.." but the informant was quickly stopped by his brother. He hates it when Bai Feng treats himself as an outsider, the informant is always his precious little brother, and nothing can change that fact.

"You must be starving, I'll have your servants prepare something easy to digest." the doctor smiled before leaving the room.

Once he was alone, the informant instinctively reached underneath his hanfu, only to notice that something was missing. The jade pendant.. HeiLi must have taken it that night..

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Ever since the day he attempted to assassinate Bai Feng, the assassin has been haunted by dreams of someone's memory. The dread, regret, and anguish of that person were so intense that even the unfeeling assassin was affected by those overwhelming sensations.

"Shi Di, be good while I'm away" the gentle senior bid his junior goodbye.

Who is he.. Why does he look eerily similar to Xiao Bai..  the assassin pondered deeply yet he knows for a fact that the person in that dream is definitely not the Bai Feng he knew.

Another night, Xiao Tian was once again stuck in a dream, his mind was clouded yet he could hear a lot of voices.

"Move aside ****", pleaded the scarlet-eyed man.

"The moment I do, I know you will kill him." the cedar-haired beauty replied sternly without batting an eye against his lover.

"He was not supposed to be here in the first place. YOU brought him here, and look what he's done.." the other cultivators accused Bai Feng while the half-panther inside a golden entrapment was thrashing and growling to be set free.

"Since you rescued this lowly beast.. You have changed ****. You even lost your cultivation just to—"

"He's just a child—" that was when the half-panther broke through the cage and clawed his favorite person's back. But before the beast could harm the others, the cedar-haired man quickly pulled him into a tight hug, constraining the beast's movements even though it was clawing and biting on the golden-eyed man.

"That's enough! Move aside **** or I will—" the others threatened but the gentle senior just patted his junior's back, calming the half-beast down as he watched his features return back to human.

"Shidi.. You're safe with me. I won't let anyone hurt you" the cedar-haired beauty cooed.

"Shixiong.. Shixiong.." the junior's eyes started to water as he looked at his claws covered in blood.

"Yes, it's me.. You're not in danger, Shidi." the cedar-haired beauty reassured.

"Welcome back.." the senior smiled before standing back up to face his classmates once more.

"He is my responsibility.. So long as I am alive.. If any of you.. Lay a hand.." but the cedar-haired man collapsed before he could finish his sentence.

One of the seniors stepped forward but the half-panther was quicker.

"Shixiong! I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry.. Shixiong.." the onyx-haired junior caught the golden-eyed man in his arms as he gritted his teeth in regret. Did I.. hurt him? Why did I hurt Shixiong..

"Biting the very same hand who fed you. You are truly a lowly beast.." the scarlet-eyed senior growled in hatred as he carried the cedar-haired beauty away.

Xiao Tian woke up with his heart clenching painfully. Even though it was just a dream, the sensation he felt just now, is exactly how it was when he stabbed Bai Feng in the chest. This left the assassin wondering..

What has that stone-cold informant done to him?

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoyed reading 'Mission Complete' <3 Votes and comments are highly appreciated!

BUT OMG XIAO TIAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Come rage with us ;A;

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

842 148 19
'When the memories of your past linger about.' 'Thrown off a cliff, a desired end. He who met with resurrection. Shall never be remembered, a notorio...
18.2K 1.3K 24
Wen Ke Xing had everything in the beginning. He grew up loved by his parents and wanted for nothing. One day that all changed and his parents were sl...
588K 30.3K 83
[ AN ORIGINAL BL NOVEL FROM RUNNOX ] Feng Xi, who was just an ordinary guy, loves to read cultivation novels, and there was his recent favorite novel...
25.2K 1.6K 11
Zhou Zishu is a heartless assassin who is hired to kill someone, only to find out that the target is the man he's been dreaming about his whole life...