silent

By islaholland

Amalia Romano is a selective mute. After years of enduring abuse from her step father, who has ridiculed and... More

characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
59
60
61
62
63
64
epilogue
SERIES INFORMATION
RELEASES

58

31.6K 1.1K 170
By islaholland

• LORENZO •

Amalia shuffles back onto my lap after a few minutes, wrapping her arms around my waist and digging her head into my chest. She digs her head into my chest and calms her long-lasting sobs.

     I rub her back in an attempt to soothe her, which works. Her small sniffles cease, and it takes me a few moments to realise that she's asleep.

     I glance at Elijah, who's looking at Amalia. He hasn't taken her eyes off of her for the entire duration of the beginning of the car ride, like he's afraid he'll look away and when he returns his gaze to her she'll be gone.

I don't blame him. I'm scared of that too.

I reach under the seat and pull out a blanket, wrapping it around Amalia's small, shivering body and lean back in my seat.

• XANDER •

I can leave the hospital tomorrow, thankfully. I hate it here—hate the beeping of the machines, hate the unusual smell, hate the shitty food.

I lean back onto my pillow as my grandma continues to speak to my grandad.

My phone dings with a message, and when I check it it's from Elijah. I tap onto his name tiredly.

He sent a picture. I click on it, and when I make out the small form in the picture, I inhale a breath.

In the image, Amalia is sitting on my fathers lap. She's snuggled into him and has a thick blanket wrapped around her. I'm barely able to make out a small cut on her cheek, and suddenly I want to kill the persons responsible for the small yet noticeable wound.

Relief floods through me when I take the rest of the picture in. They're in a car, which means they're coming back. Amalia's coming back.

I smile.

• AMALIA •

When we stop, I glance out the window, expecting to see home, but instead it's a big yellow M.

"Amalia." My dad says quietly. Softly. "What do you want to eat?"

     I shake my head before digging it back in his chest. He sighs softly and begins to rub my back, whispering something to Elijah or maybe Pietro that I can't hear.

     The car goes around the drive through extremely slowly, but I hardly notice as I snuggle into my dad. Pietro begins to speak again, but not to anyone in the car. My dad plants a kiss in my hair as he leans forward, grabbing something. I hear the rumpling of a bag before he nudges me up a little.

"Come on, baby, you need to eat your food."

I frown and shake my head. "I—I don't want anything."

"When was the last time you ate?" He asks.

I think back, my frown deepening when I find that I don't remember. He must see the answer on his face, because his expression saddens and he reaches for the bag again after turning me around on his lap and setting the food onto my knee. I lean back onto his chest.

I open my McNuggets and pair it with a chip before putting them both in my mouth, beginning to become lightheaded. Maybe my dad's right; maybe I do need to eat. I haven't had a lot of energy, so food will give me that.

Suddenly I'm eating faster until every crumb of my food is gone. When it's all gone, I frown again but lean back onto him. He takes the rubbish and shoves it back into the McDonald's bag.

     "How are you feeling, Amalia?" Elijah asks, voice tainted with nerves.

     "F-fine." I whisper.

     I think he knows it's a lie. I think everyone in the car knows it's a lie. But they don't question me on it. They just accept my fib, and my father wraps me up in his embrace, holding me close to him.

My cheek smushes against his chest, but it's okay.

I wake up when I feel myself being passed into someone else's arms. I reach out immediately for my fathers warmth again, but all my hand connects with is air.

I peel my eyes open, glancing up at Elijah, who has a soft, gentle expression on his face as he begins to walk. Then I'm set down on something soft, and it's only when he glances at me does he realise that I've woken up.

He smiles. "Hi, angel." He says. "Are you feeling alright?"

     I nod as I look around, at the interior of my fathers room. I furrow my eyebrows, and he seems to translate the question in my eyes.

     "Dad wants to be able to keep an eye on you, so he wants you to stay in here." He explains quietly.

I shake my head. "My room."

He tilts his head, but just then our father walks in. He smiles when he sees that I'm awake, but my frown lingers as I push myself up onto my elbows. "My room." I say again, tiredly.

     "What?" He questions, glancing at Elijah.

"She wants to go to her room." My older brother informs him.

"Okay, who do you want to stay with you?" My dad asks. I furrow my eyebrows again, and his expression seems to soften even more.

"Petal." I decide.

He tilts his head. "I mean a person, baby."

"Petal."

His lips knock up into a smile. He seems to relax a little bit; his shoulders become less tense, as though he's just realising that everything's alright now.

"Okay. She's in Mason's room. Do you wanna come with me to get here and see him?" He asks gently.

I nod tiredly. He wordlessly puts his hands under my arms and lifts me up, setting me onto his hip. He keeps a hand on the back of my head, laying it on his shoulder. I hear Elijah follow.

He knocks on Masons door, but there's no answer. He waits for a moment, then walks inside. He turns the light on.

Mason is laying in bed, shirtless—ew—and he groans when the light hits them, digging his face into the pillow. "Get out." He mumbles into the fabric.

"Mason." Elijah says.

"Im trying to sleep—"

"Amalia wants Petal." Elijah tells him, lips tilting up.

He grabs Petal and holds her out. But then he sits up, bringing my puppy back down onto his lap. He snaps his head toward me, and when our eyes meet his whole face melts.

He climbs off the bed quickly, rushing over to me and taking me from my dad, holding me in his arms steadily as he turns around, away from Elijah and our dad. He holds me to him tightly, resting his nose in my hair.

"Thank God." He whispers, over and over and over again. When I peer up at him, at his watery eyes, I frown and bring my hand up, wiping away a stray tear. He smiles and kisses my cheek, sitting down on the edge of his bed and folding me up on his lap. He engulfs me in a bear hug, completely cocooning me in his strong arms.

     I glance over his shoulder, finding the doorway empty, but I can hear the faint sound of Elijah and my dad talking.

     "I missed you so much." Mason admits, his voice slightly shaky.

     "I—I m-missed you t-too." I whisper. He holds onto me even tighter, rocking me back and forth as though I'm a baby who can't get to sleep.

     A little bark sounds from beside me. Mason looks over at an excited Petal, who continues to bark, her tail wagging, when I look at her. She reaches her paw up, and I swoop my arm and take her, holding her to me.

     "I love you so much, Lia." He says, and when the words leave his mouth he lets out a small sigh of relief, as though they've been building up for a while.

     I smile. "I love you too."

     He holds me tighter, planting another kiss in my hair.

My dad retrieves me from Masons room after about ten minutes of just cuddling, and my older brother lets me go with another big hug. After saying goodnight to Elijah, my father takes me into my room.

     When he shuts the door a little bit too loudly, I send him a disapproving look.

     Amusement shines in his eyes. "What?"

     "People are sleeping." I whisper the last word.

     He smiles. "Oh, right, sorry."

     "Don't say sorry to me," I begin, "I'm not the one sleeping."

     "Well, if I say sorry to them I'll be waking them up." He replies, walking over to my bed.

     I frown. "Oh."

     He laughs as he sets me onto my bed, under the covers. Then he sits beside me. "I'm gonna stay with you, is that okay?"

     I nod. "But why?" Although, I can't deny that I'd feel safer if he was here. I don't know what happened to Briana, or where she was taken, so to know that my dad will stay and protect me is sort of a relief that I didn't realise I ached for.

     "From now on someone's gonna be with you all the time." He says after a moment. "To make sure you're okay."

     I furrow my eyebrows, but I don't reply. He leans down and kisses my cheek.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

749K 19.9K 46
Ten years ago, Avalee was sent away from her brothers and father with her pregnant mother, Alessia, for their safety. After the sudden death of Aless...
106K 4.8K 71
The sequel to book Lissy Romano. Everyone remembers fourteen years old Lissy Romano and her brothers. Now she's sixteen years old and she has difficu...
903K 23.4K 34
Gabriella Bianchi is a girl who was taken away from her five brothers, mom and dad at the young age of five. Now, nine years later, she is living wit...
1.9M 50K 95
Alexa and Alesa Romano are the only daughters of the Romano family They grew up without their 7 brothers.. After the divorce of their parents. The...