Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

47

264 10 4
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

Alya's P.O.V

   I was not fast enough to get to the bunker when an Akuma spawned. No one had alerted me of its existence, having saved themselves and gone to take cover.

   I sat in my room writing, unaware of what was happening when the creature crashed through my window. The Akuma had spotted me but was distracted by the newest hero, Pegasus.

   I hurriedly made my way to the bunker as quickly as my feet could move. Yet, I did not make it. The Akuma had caught me. It managed to clear its obstacle out of its path to me. Pegasus is a new addition to the rebellion so he was not as skilled as the others were quite yet.

"Help!" I called out, wriggling in the Akuma's grasp. Why does it want me, anyway? Should it not be focused on the Paris heroes?

It looked quite creepy with the face of a tiki mask and many limbs produced from all around its oval-shaped body. It was like a freakish-looking, tropical spider.

The Akuma let out a chittering noise before breaking one of the stained-glass windows. The spider creature crawled out with me and went to the top of the mansion. I stopped trying to free myself and hung on instead.

"What is it planning on doing with me?" I thought, concerned. It cannot be anything good. Nothing good ever happens with Akumas, let alone anything in this city.

"Put me down this instant!" I hissed before rethinking my words, "But make sure we are within a good range of the ground that is vital!"

The Akuma did not acknowledge a single word I said and continued to the roof. Why was I trying to talk with a thing that acts so beastly? It is like talking to an actual spider. Of course, it would not understand me.

"Where are those ludicrous heroes?" I thought with a huff, "Why are they taking so long to save me?"

The Akuma and I made it to the top of the mansion, chittering as it scanned the area.

Suddenly, a flash of silver hit the monster in the face. The Akuma let out a snarl of agitation. Its attention was immediately drawn to Chat Noir standing on a different building with a smug smile. Next to the cat was the famous Ladybug.

This was the first time I have ever seen the two leaders of the heroes.

"Shelter!" I heard Carapace's voice yell. The familiar green turtle pattern formed around the Akuma and me, trapping us within the sphere. Even when I am still being held hostage, I felt relief seeing Carapace not far away.

"Venom!" the bee hero called upon her power. She was about to hit the Akuma with her power but it managed to hit her away. Vesperia went flying and hit Carapace's shield with a booming thud. I winced at the sound.

"Vesperia!" Carapace called with worry. It sent a knot in my stomach but I paid it no mind. This was not the time!

I watched as a portal opened and dragged an unconscious Vesperia inside it. Then, Ladybug and Chat Noir exited out along with Multimouse.

Multimouse split into many smaller versions of herself before distracting the monster. Ladybug began to wrap her yo-yo around the Akuma to trap its arms. Chat Noir went for the mask, dodging as many of the leftover flailing arms as he could.

"Cataclysm!" He shouted, nearly to the mask.

What about me?!

The Akuma must have thought protecting itself was more important than holding me. The creature let me go to fall. I yelled, my back hitting the roof and began to roll down the slant.

My world was a spinning haze and my heart pounded. I could not tell what was up or down. I did not know where I was going to stop or land. I did stop rolling but had an instant sinking feeling realizing why.

I had rolled off the roof and was currently falling to the ground. A shuttering feeling swirled within my stomach as I screamed in fear.

"Why does this always happen when I interact with an Akuma?!" I wondered, watching the ground grow closer.

Arms wrapped around me before the feeling of falling stopped, having landed. My heart pounded as it did the first time I fell off my balcony.

   Yet, I was rescued all the same.

"Are you okay, Alya?" Carapace asked, having cushioned my fall. I raised my head from his chest and looked down at him.

   I rolled off of him while answering, "I am fine."

   I stood up and dusted myself off. As Carapace stood up, something within me could not help blurting out, "Have you acquired any injuries?"

   I continued to clean the grime off of me to not look at him. I did not want him to think that I cared—because I obviously do not! I am unsure why I even asked when I do not give a lick of compassion for this man. None whatsoever!

   "Then, why did I ask?" a voice mocked in my mind. My face scrunched up into a scowl.

   Carapace had stood stock-still from shock, mouth gaping before snapping out of his frozen state.

   "Uh—yes, I have not acquired too much damage," Carapace finally answered. I eventually give him the time of day and gave him my attention. Just as he said, he seemed alright aside from some scrapes.

   A heavy sensation settled in my chest, feeling bad as if I deliberately committed in hurting him. Even though my mind screamed, "I do not care! I do not care! I do not care!" There was a very unsettling chill in my veins and coursed into my beating organ, making it ache with sympathy.

   What are these emotions and why are they mainly directed at this stranger? Has my common sense been depleted ever since coming to this city?

   I was about to blurt out some more nonsense without a second thought. Words from deep within me wanted to travel from my lips to his ears, desiring to invite him to my balcony later to patch up his bruises and scratches littering his face.

A need to fret over him and tell him to be more careful. To relieve this tightening knot in my chest.

Yet, I was not able to utter a word.

   "Miraculous Ladybug!" I heard Ladybug yell. A wave of magical insects rushed around the city, fixing damages...and healing the wounded—including Carapace.

The turtle hero's wounds had disappeared as if they were never there in the first place.

Carapace smiled when hearing Ladybug call out her miracle cure, making my skin uncomfortably itch.

"It looks like the Akuma has finally been dealt with, thankfully. It was quite difficult of a battle and a very close call with you in the middle of it. I am so glad you did not get hurt," Carapace said, holding out his hand, "Come now, I will assist you up to your balcony."

I looked between him and his hand in wonderment. I quickly switched my expression to a bored one though I was secretly thanking heaven for this blessing. I had to turn my head to the side just in case I showed any signs of happiness.

"If you must," I replied, placing my hand in his.

   Carapace cradled me in his arms and carried me back to my balcony. Once landing, he placed me down and gave me one of his silly smiles.

   "I wish I could stay and converse with you. I, unfortunately, have to depart as to not let the enemy make you a target and regroup with my team," Carapace explained.

   He turned away towards the railing.

   "Besides...it is not like you want me here, anyway."

   He mumbled it so quietly that I nearly missed what he said. His tone was laced with disappointment and sadness. My heart tore in two as easily as if it were paper. I was starting to regret constantly telling him to go away—going as far as using my guards as a threat.

   I would not admit this out loud, but I did want him to stay. Maybe, not at first. Yet, I have grown fonder and fonder over the turtle hero.

   I despise myself for letting him creep into my heart so willingly. What happened to all those walls I built to keep men out? Why am I allowing this one male to enter?

No, I did not allow him to enter. He did not even break in with any force as most men would do. He merely went over my walls without any trouble. No matter how much I tried to get rid of him, he always returned.

Now...

   "Wait," I called, quickly stopping him before he could leap away. Carapace paused. He turned his attention toward me with a curious look.

Now, there was no going back.

   I bit the bottom of my lip, hoping I would not regret my next few words.

   "I suppose, I will allow you to visit me just for tonight without calling the guards as payment for saving me," I speedily spoke, not meeting his eyes.

"But just for tonight," I added.

   Carapace was baffled for a second before brightly smiling.

   "Then, I will have something to look forward to."

   Then, he was gone. My breath caught in my throat as I watched him disappear into the city. A delightful warmth spread throughout my body like a delicious cup of tea on a beautiful, sunny day.

I cannot say that I am not worried about my decision nor will I admit that I am beaming with joy.

Joy...it has been a long time since I felt such excitement.

"Lady Cesaire! It is time for your ballroom dancing lessons," my personal servant informed me, coming out of nowhere. My giddiness had instantly disappeared and locked furious eyes with my servant.

My personal servant gulped, afraid.

"You and I will have a word first," I said in a steady voice. She shrunk under my gaze, feeling the intense dark aurora surrounding me.

She knew she was in big trouble.

She is just lucky that I am in too good of a mood to fire her. I will give her a stern warning for not telling me of an Akuma attack. I am sure she will heed my words and not take them lightly.

The high I had been riding from before may have dulled, but there was still a ball of warmth fluttering in my stomach.

{+}{+}{+}

Carapace had arrived...not that I was waiting for an hour on my balcony for him. It was just a nice view of Paris and the fresh air helps me stay decently sane-

"I must truly have the honor of receiving an invitation from the fair maiden, especially to keep her from her beauty sleep," Carapace joked, bumping my shoulder.

I could not help but smile and roll my eyes. I did not understand why I was letting my guard down all of a sudden. Maybe...it is because turtle boy is just easy to be around. I feel less snappy and tense. I do not feel like need to keep my guard up or pretend with him.

I have only known this man for a month. Actually, he is still a stranger since I do not know his true identity. Maybe, I want to keep it that way. It makes...whatever we have going on more thrilling and special.

Someday, I could possibly find out. Right now, I like what we have.

Turtle boy seems nice enough.

If he was going to do anything, he would have already done it without any trouble. I have this strong sense that he truly does want to get close to me.

It will only last for this one evening though.

After this, Carapace will never return again.

This rendezvous meeting will only last for tonight and no more.

That is until he came the very next night and the next and the next.

Okay, so I am a terrible liar. I am unable to gain the backbone to shoo him off or threaten him with my guards...again. I believe we both know that my words are empty promises.

   As Carapace continues to visit, a strange feeling grows over time. One I do not understand or have any knowledge of.

   All that I know is, I feel at ease and warm around turtle boy. I enjoy his presence more than I would like to admit. I miss him during the daytime and look forward to the nights.

   This sensation is both consuming and freeing.

   A fire flickering on a candlestick that has never been lit, nor did I even know that I had it. The candle must have been tipped over and let the flames devour my soul. The burning feeling started in my heart and spread like wildfire.

   Carapace is the one who started this fire. He lit the candle and at some point, let it fall along with me.

   Is this truly what love is supposed to feel like?

{+}{+}{+}

   "You insufferable child! You are supposed to keep your posture straight, for heaven's sake!"

   I snapped out of my daydreaming and let my mother's words process. I quickly straightened my posture.

   "I must have started slouching when I drifted off," I thought.

   "I am sorry," I apologized, bowing my head.

   "I am tired of hearing your apologies! You have failed time and time again. You must be perfect every single second of the day. You know the consequences if you do not," mother warned me.

   Mother always used the threat to remind me of the consequences. I have heard it so many times that it started to sound like a parrot that annoyingly repeated the only phrase it knew.

Although, her warning was starting to wear thin on me. I do not fear going to the poor section as much as I had originally felt. The poor section was starting to sound more like a paradise than the wealthy section.

"Yes, mother," I replied, trying to hold in my sarcasm.

Mother narrowed her eyes at me before returning to teaching me about what specific dresses should be worn on different occasions.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Mother glanced over at the clock before nodding.

"Ah, it is time for your tea lesson. Right on schedule," she said, calling in the servant. A male servant entered the room with a tray. There were two tea cups and a steaming teapot with other ingredients to add to the drink.

"Set it down over there then be on your way, peasant," mother said, not acknowledging the servant's presence.

For some unknown reason, this really boiled my kettle. Mother has done this many times with the servants—calling them demeaning names and not giving them the time of day. Yet, it was starting to irk me.

Maybe, I was starting to rub off of Carapace.

I felt a flutter in my chest at the thought of him before being ripped out of my head by a crash. My mother shrilled before rage began to cease a tight grasp on her.

My wide eyes took in the scene before me.

The servant had tripped, spilling the tray's contents all over. This included mother's dress. The male servant coward on the floor as mother could have killed him with just her stare.

"You insolent rat!" mother sneered, "You wasted tea, broke some of the finest china, and ruined my dress."

The servant shrunk, staring at the ground and shaking in fear.

"I deeply apologize-"

"I do not want to hear your apology or your excuses. It is meaningless," mother cut him off.

"Please! Have mercy! I need this job! My father had passed! I need the money to care for my unwell mother and feed my younger sibling," he begged.

"I do not care for your worthless sob story. You need to be taught a lesson for your foolishness. This calls for severe punishment," mother darkly spoke, earning a gasp of terror from the servant.

This...this is wrong.

All of this over an accident and spilled tea?

I believe this man was telling the truth. All our staff are mainly poor citizens needing money to survive. Yet...I had no idea how awful it really was for most of them.

I felt sympathy for this man or now that I look at him a little more, perhaps a teenager around my age.

What am I doing just sitting here quietly and letting my mother walk over this poor guy?

"You will be sent to the torture chamber below. Maybe, a few whips will knock some sense into your thick-headed skull," mother spat.

The servant paled. My heart stopped for a split moment before something courageous within me was released. Mother was about to call for the guards to drag the servant off but I cut her off by standing.

I glared at my mother before standing defensively between her and the servant.

"You will do no such thing to this man, mother. I will not allow it," I retorted with just as much bite in my tone. Mother was taken aback by my bravery. Yet, it did not last long as her heated glare returned.

"You dare interfere with such treason and defend the villain?" Mother hissed, testing me.

"No," I defiantly retorted, "I am stopping such nonsense and defending him from the true villain. You."

SLAP!

There was a burning sensation on the side of my face as mother stormed out of the room. Tears of pain shed from my eyes as I held to place where mother laid her hand on.

I let out a breath and wiped away my tears. Then, I turned to the baffled and amazed servant sitting on the floor still. He did not seem like he believed what he just witnessed but was proven wrong once my hand was held out to him.

"Are you alright?" I asked. The servant snapped out of his shock and took my hand.

"I-yes, my lady!" He sputtered before switching his tone to a more genuine one, "Thank you."

I gave a simple nod, not understanding what all just happened.

Did I just...defend a poor man?

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 102 10
❝ 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 and just like the last, and like the next, i'll make you fall in love with me over and over again. we can 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 our...
484K 11.3K 60
During their Junior year in Highschool, Marinette was forced to go back to her roots. The country of China. Leaving her friends, and Adrien was hard...
14.8K 536 28
Marinette has always been there for Paris as Ladybug with the help of the charming Chat Noir. After having a terrible accident, Marinette is unable t...
1.1M 21.4K 32
Marinette and Adrien are in their terminale year of Lycée (senior year of High School) and still fighting Hawkmoth under their secret identities as L...