A Twisted Christmas Special...

By lmrich

Christmas one-shot - Octavinelle Trio & Reader-Insert - Twisted Wonderland Summary: Ice skating with the Octa... More

An Icey Twistmas

160 16 74
By lmrich

As the Winter Holidays drew closer and closer, it took no time at all for Headmage Dire Crowley to remember an unfortunate and terrible truth. One that would set woeful tears streaming from his golden eyes and despairing sobs choked from his throat. His poor, poor students...

They were complete and utter Bah-Humbugs!

Let it be known, Crowley had never been fond of the cold. He was a mage known to flee to the South during Winter's peak, to enjoy the sunnier spell of Kingdoms where the warm temperature was pleasantly unchanging. And yet, there was something about this time of year that even he could not deny his fondness for.

Gingerbread houses, mistletoe, grand feasts of roasted veg, thick gravy, glazed meats, oversized cosy sweaters, and appreciating the ones most close with gifts and company. There were just too many things not to love.

So why that with every generation of aspiring Mages was he given the grumpiest, scrooge-like and most non-festive students in Wonderland? It simply wasn't fair!

But with the arrival of the non-magic student – beast-taming their way through the student body – Crowley sensed things would be different this festive season. He was determined to make it so. To show his cynical students once and for all the true meaning of the holiday spirit – the ancient magic of Yule.

And what better way to celebrate winter than with an ice rink?

Naturally, Azul Ashengrotto rose to the occasion.

You were with him when the news broke, waiting tables at the Mostro Lounge for your evening shift. How an Ice rink would be implemented on the frost-coated sports field, just off the main street's pathway. To anyone else, this was just another one of Crowley's grandiose but poor attempts at connecting with his students, who frankly wanted little to do with him.

But not to Azul. His oblong, cephalopod pupils gleamed with golden doubloons, a treasure trove at the idea alone.

This is how you found yourself working at one of Azul's many hot food and drink kiosks set up around the ice rink. A simple but brilliant idea: no one could resist a hot chocolate or hot meal after hours of ice skating.

However, you weren't so lucky to be ice skating and, instead, you stood next to the behemoth, the bastard, and the shark of NRC. Also known as Floyd Leech, which Azul was so... benevolent to pair you with on the booth you both had been assigned to. Just you and him.

Don't get it wrong – Floyd was relatively "nice"... when he wanted to be. But when kept in one spot for too long, he gets particularly insufferable and you had a sneaking suspicion your real job was actually to preoccupy him while the real work got done.

Why?

"F-Floyd, get off. I can't s-stand," you choked out as Floyd flopped his whole body onto your back – arms limp noodles over your shoulder. Your grip on the cold metal counter trembled and the edge dug deep into the front of your hip. "Floyd off! You're too heavy!"

"Nah, seeing you fall over will be funny," Floyd said shamelessly.

You scowled as his devious giggle resonated right by your ear – his sharp teeth glinting like light against water in your peripheral.

"Hehe, you actually look like a shrimp now, back arched and all. Trying oh so hard to hold me up. Come on. Fall!"

"No!"

"Come onnn!"

As you strained every muscle to not crumble under Floyd's pure massiveness, you spotted Azul and Jade nearby on their hourly sweep of the food booths. This was to confirm everything was in working out and jobs were being done.

Only Jade was the one to notice your predicament, Azul being ever so meticulous about the stall to witness your pleading stare for any possible intervention. You even made eye contact with him, mouthing a meek 'help' because if there was anyone alive that could help you now – it was them.

Really, you shouldn't have been surprised but your jaw still dropped as Jade laughed – snickering behind his white-gloved fist at you. And after a devilish wink, he turned around. To ignore you.

The people in this school were generous for only one thing and one thing only.

The fucking audacity.

"Are you seriously this bored? W-wait!-" you grunted, whimpering as Floyd straightened his legs. Not to stand and ease your sore muscles but to put even more weight onto your back as his body was practically diagonal against the floor – intent purposeful as he purred a high giggle.

Okay, any more weight and you'd be flattened like a pancake – merman muscle mass was not something to joke about. Guess it's time to suck up your pride.

"C-Can I beg if you'll get off?"

"I don't know Shrimpy, can you?" Floyd hummed, making an effort to rock back and forth on his ankles with you swaying in tandem. "Hehe, but you know the answer to that, don't you?"

You smothered any embarrassing noises from your throat as Floyd slipped his arms around your waist, his touch firm and scorching. Yet you couldn't stifle how your breath shuddered, visible as faint clouds in the cold air. The smell of the ocean – sea salt and water – was so overwhelming you were drowning in it. You could see his smile stretching wider and wider. A smile that hungers and preys.

"You know I love it when you beg," his voice was dangerously low and close to your throat. "Because there is nothing better when you are at my complete and utter mercy."

"...Damn, have we even sold a single latte at this point?" You mumbled and to your relief, Floyd laughed. In reality, you were trying to distract yourself from how your head felt full of fuzzy cotton and your heart was leaping from your chest at his words.

But you knew that answer to your question – a big, fat zero.

There was a reason Floyd worked in the kitchen and not at the front desk. It took a brave soul of all their courage to even glance in Floyd's general vicinity, let alone order a coffee from him.

...Actually, make that two customers – Kalim had no regard for his personal safety and Jamil was along the (unfortunate) ride.

An involuntary gasp left your lips as the arms around your waist squeezed briefly – a warning. Letting you know – right now – Floyd could not care.

"Shrimpyyy, you said you would beg!" he whined, nuzzling his temple harshly against yours.

"Okay! Okay!" You yielded, both to him and your dignity, somehow finding yourself huffing in amusement even as your lungs were buckling under the effort of keeping yourself up. As infuriating, unpredictable and threatening as he was, this was just Floyd being Floyd. This was his roundabout – and relatively cruel – way of showing you affection in the only way he knew how.

An affection you were strangely happy to reciprocate. Were you fearless or foolish? Sometimes even you weren't sure.

"Floyd Leech, the most handsome and strongest person I have ever known, please, can you stand? I beg of you," you 'begged', nuzzling your temple back against his and letting it rest there. "Please?"

There is a frighteningly still moment of stunned silence as Floyd buffered, his grip around your waist tightening slowly in a way that doesn't hurt but is rather an uneasy pressure. You find yourself holding your breath. Did you mess up?

His mood erupted with a peal of maniac laughter.

"Shrimpy! You could've just asked!"

"Woah!"

Before you can say 'but I have been asking?' it is swiftly replaced with an exclamation as, in one smooth movement, Floyd swings off your back and your feet are dangling. It's not a real Floyd squeeze because your spine is still intact and you're, well, alive but you're still held against his chest snugly; entwined in his gangly, strong arms; and his cheek grounded circles into the top of your head relentlessly like a pestle and mortar. Overly aggressive and a bit painful but you still allow your muscles to slacken after standing for so long and you exhale a mix of a sigh and an exasperated laugh. This was Floyd alright.

"Hard at work, I see."

"Always. Hello Azul. Jade."

Of course, just as your suffering has ended, Azul and Jade finally made their appearance. You pouted at Jade, giving him the nastiest stink eye you can muster for ignoring you in your time of need. But really it does the opposite effect as he snickers and grins at you with... what is that? Endearment? Sadism?

"Azul! Jade" Floyd exclaimed, initially overjoyed to see them but in a blink of an eye, his mood sours. He draped your torso over a single arm, holding you as if you were nothing but a blanket while he propped the other on his lip, glaring at his Dorm Leader. With no other choice, you embodied the blanket you were always meant to be.

"Azul, you're the only one who can make an Ice Rink so lame! I love hanging out with Shrimpy and all but I've never even been ice skating before and you put me on drink duty! Urgh, asshole."

"I would have reconsidered drink duty if you had been respectful to those customers the other day," Azul smiled at Floyd but it was tight-lipped, his eyebrow is twitching and it clearly doesn't reach his eyes. "Their 'compensation' wasn't cheap."

"Whatever, those bastards deserved it. They were annoying me."

"Never? I totally imagine Ice Skating is your thing," you said, ignoring the possible innuendos of Azul's comment because really it was not of your business. You gazed up at Floyd still in his hold, unflinching at the grinning steel trap that stared straight back. "It's a lot of balance and foot coordination. You love that sort of stuff."

"Awww Shrimpy, you know me so well!" Floyd gushed before you are back in both of his arms again. Trapped in his hug like a pearl in its shell. "You're so sweet, I could eat you up!"

"Please don't," you said but your squirming stopped as you thought it over. "Hmm, actually maybe later."

"Well, when the Coral Sea is frozen over, we've always been beneath it – never on top," Jade eloquently elaborated. "I'm sure Floyd would try if given the prior opportunity but, besides his Mer-form limitations, to ice-skate on the Coral Sea would be an incredibly foolish idea."

"Wait, really? Why?"

"Yeah, if you're stuck on top you're basically done for. That ice is impossible to break without tools!" Floyd added, swaying you in his arms again. "Me, Jade and Azul tried to break through it when we were younger 'cause there's nothing to do in Winter but we couldn't even scratch it. Once Azul learned magic, only then could we get through."

"We still didn't go up top. The risk was far too great if we were to get stuck, lost, or..." Jade's laugh was sinister, "fufu found," Jade recounted, holding his chin as a wicked smile manifested across his cheeks. "Watching others trying to investigate the ice surface was always fascinating, however. There was no telling if they would return or not."

"Honestly, the resources and time we wasted to simply break through five meters of ice baffle me today. We were such bored children – imagine all the other things we could have accomplished," Azul scoffed, crossing his arms and face contorting at the influx of bad memories.

You, on the other hand, were a bit preoccupied with the number.

"I'm sorry – five meters of ice?! Are you joking?" You gawked. You couldn't comprehend the true severity of such temperatures for the ocean to freeze over that thickly – as a seasonal event no less. And yet the trio were apathetic to this perishing cold as it was merely commonplace to them, confounding you tenfold. What marine horrors had that truly witnessed?

"We would never joke about such a mundane, dull thing," Jade reassured you though with the way his smile leered, it was hard to take his word for it.

"The Coral Sea is a cold, unforgiving and dark place – contrary to popular belief and what is advertised by the media. Even then, there is a certain charm to it, even in the depths. You should join us next time we go, I'd be happy to show you around," Azul candidly enlightened you, a faint fondness in his tone. Yet his attitude turned as he continued. "However, the Capital – Atlantica – is a sanitised front for land-dwellers and tourists and hardly reflects the Coral Sea. All courtesy of, ugh, Prince Rielle."

At the mention of the Prince, the Octavinelle trio's expressions each pinched in a deeply-ingrained irritation like they caught a whiff of putrid odour. You could almost see the resentment emanating from them in ominous, dark blue waves; blatantly clear they had an unsightly, touchy history with the prince and were not going to answer questions about it any time soon.

"Whatever, who fucking cares about that phoney capital and that ginger-twerp," Floyd scoffed. His grin gradually returned as his eyes loitered on the ice rink before he giggled with excitement. "Because I'm going ice skating. Jade, have you eaten? Come skate with me!"

"Hmm, I have eaten but I'm not too sure Floyd..." Jade admitted, analysing the ice rink with a frown and his fist to his lip. "You know of my aversion to most exercise."

"You might be surprised Jade," you offered. "Ice skating doesn't really feel like exercise, people do it for fun more than for sport. You could always let Floyd go on first and watch him before giving it a try. Whatever you'd like."

Jade's face dropped as he gaped at you, caught in the middle between surprise and appreciation, his cheeks glowing a soft pink.

"I second that notion," Azul added and, for once, his smile was sincere. "Besides, it can't be worse than flight class."

Simultaneously, Jade and Azul shuddered.

Jade pondered on the thought before turning to his brother.

"Floyd?"

"'Alright with me!" Floyd brandished a laidback smile and thumbs up. And so, it was decided.

Floyd didn't take long to get his skates on, white and tightly laced. Afterwards, you, Jade, and Azul watched with full attention, intrigue and bated breath, as he approached the rink's entrance for baby's first ice skating. All wondering the same thing:

How could this go?

Silently, you all wanted to believe Floyd (like any other newbie) would hold onto the railing before stepping on the ice to adjust to a floor without friction, all the while forgetting the most crucial and vital thing – Floyd was not like any other newbie. In fact, he was NRC's most fearless boy, who had zero concept of self-doubt or restraint.

And ice was a humbler.

From intrigue to realisation to panic dawned on the three of you as Floyd shoved a hapless first-year out of the way to take his first, bold step. No railing. No hesitation. And simply no thought behind the action, which is why he lurched feet-first into the rink.

Slipping straight onto his ass.

The Ice rink froze over twice in horror as everyone who noticed the blunder stared at Leech, just as a murderous scowl settled on his toothy maw.

Any other person falling over would not have caused such an unsettling reaction. Instead, it would have been followed by some heartless laughter, maybe a little mockery, and possibly some teasing for the rest of the year but this was not any other person or any other newbie.

This was Floyd Leech.

Everyone knew of Floyd's violent tantrums, it was hard not to know if you were attending NRC because he loved to make it everyone else's problem. They were similar to the flu – contagious, inconvenient and often painful. Everyone knew of the wrathful power behind that wide-eyed and demented expression, pulsing and pounding like blood under a bruise.

Thus, Floyd falling over was not a good thing at all... For them at least.

"Pftt!..."

As onlookers' breaths froze in their throats, dreading the biggest fit of rage this century, Jade and Azul next to you had their hands crushed against their mouths and puffed cheeks, desperately trying not to burst out into laughter. You were snickering too because – admittedly – Floyd on his ass was funny as fuck.

In the end, it actually wasn't that bad and there was a collective sigh of relief from the school as Floyd merely stood up and wiped the ice shavings off his trousers, rather unfazed at the whole ordeal.

From there it was Disney on Ice.

You imagined Floyd must've felt as if he was learning again how to use his legs for the second time as he was completely out of his depths – literally a fish out of water. Slipping and stumbling. But you could see he was having a blast as he learned from each mistake with a loud laugh, his unwavering confidence propelling him forwards as he quickly got the hang of it. Enjoying it.

Which was great... until it wasn't.

Floyd became the rink's new Zamboni, an unstoppable force of the ice as he ploughed through crowds while looping around the rink, his skating speed slowly increasing and many skaters scrambling out of his way to avoid a fatal flattening.

Yet, in spite of the predator skating beside them, a majority of the students decided they could tolerate this... somehow, and stubbornly stayed on the ice but kept a wide berth from him whenever possible.

That was until Floyd started attempting jumps.

Undeterred by his stumbles and blades screeching against the ice, Floyd didn't hold back at all as he twirled and launched himself off the ice, giggling maniacally. Whether he did a successful toe loop or salchow was to be decided but at the sight of his long shape, steel-pronged smile and staggering height doing a pirouette of all things? Yeah, no thanks, you couldn't even pay me to stay on that rink and it was the last straw for many students too, who beelined in a panic to the exit.

"That does... look unusually fun," Jade commented, observing Floyd's enthusiasm intently.

"The ice skating or intimidating other skaters?" you said.

"No comment," Jade hushed you, closing his eyes 'innocently'. He smacked his fist in his open palm, face steeled with certainty. "Alright, I am willing to give it a go."

Unlike his brother, Jade's first attempt at ice skating was met with more apprehension. He refused to let go of the railing at first, both hands clutched onto the side for dear life, the wood groaning beneath his grip. But following Floyd's insistence and encouragement, tugging non-stop on his arm, Floyd managed to peel him off the rail to show him how to skate properly and how to maintain his balance. He even let Jade hold onto him if he needed to.

After a loop around the rink with Floyd holding his hand the whole way, it seemed the Leech twins were relatively quick learners as Jade was soon skating on his own, his grin impossibly wide and frightening the hearts of other skaters around him. And before long, he was shooting off the ice like Floyd.

Unlike his brother, Jade was not the type to jump or spin, but rather he mastered the art of turning and stopping. He didn't bother to hide how his face burst with delight as he stopped abruptly in front of others, the loud grate of his skate's blades against the ice startling them to death.

Suddenly Floyd grabbed Jade's hand. Matching his brother's unfiltered toothy grin, eyebrows curled upwards and all.

"Race ya? Three loops around the rink and the first one to Shrimpy wins!" He challenged with a competitive grin.

"Only if you're prepared to lose!"

Sinister laughter was left in their wake, the Tweels shoot off at breakneck speeds and arms pumping with their momentum. It was like they were in their Mer-forms again – in their element – barreling across the ice like shot bullets. And while they were unbelievably faster in the water this was close. You could almost see their eel tails rippling behind them.

Floyd was winning. Then Jade. Before Floyd retook the lead and Jade stole it back. This fight for lead persisted even as they curved around the rink's bends, weaving in between stunned skaters.

Although you were immersed in watching the Twins race, you still noticed Riddle, Trey, and Cater preparing to get on the ice. This was because of Riddle, who was cautiously placing a single skate on the rink and appeared very excited albeit with an adorable hint of nervousness. If you knew any better, this was his first time ice skating as well. Fortunately, the encouragement Trey and Cater are offering seemed to be endless, with Cater's phone flashing as he captured photos to treasure the moment for memories and Magicam alike.

All it took was one look at Floyd and Jade – bulldozing their way through hoards of other horrified skaters.

The excitement on Riddle's face plummeted to hell.

Quickly, Riddle removed his skate from the ice, whipped around, and dashed back to the booth to get his heels back. Honestly — you couldn't blame him.

But speaking of what's in your peripheral, you turn to Azul, who is watching as well with his cheeks round and puffed, nose scrunched. Looking quite conflicted...? Strange.

"Aren't you going to join them?" You asked him.

Azul blinked with a mellow surprise before he waved his hand dismissively. "Later, later I am far too busy–"

SLAM!

Jade's body collided against the railing like a hammer against a stone, the loud blow shocking you and Azul out of your conversation. He was sweating, hair unkempt but – Seven – was he smiling like mad.

"I win Floyd!" He declared, gasping a little but positively beaming. His teeth blinded you as he whipped his head in your direction, eyes glinting like sparklers. "And you were right [Name], this is fun."

"I think we've discovered Jade's favourite sport," Azul smugly commented.

A second SLAM swiftly followed as Floyd crashed next to him, the shock reverberating through the wood and you are genuinely surprised the railing hadn't toppled over from the brutal force of it.

"Ughh, just barely," Floyd grunted, baring his teeth and lip jutted out.

"Second is still a loss to first!" Jade boasted, having a bit too much fun.

"Shuddup!" Floyd snapped, leaning on his elbows on the rail, refusing to give Jade any time of day. He looked pricklier than a cactus and if he were in his bad mood episodes today, he would've definitely done more than snap.

Though in one moment, Floyd's mood cartwheeled in the opposite direction because oh Fuck with a capital F – he's locked eyes with you and instinctively you take a step back. You can feel your impending doom already.

"Shrimpyyyy," He drawled. His hand shoots out, swift like a ravenous, striking snake, to snatch at you but he barely misses the mark, (which is why you stepped back). He waves his arm around like it will make it grow longer. "Come on the ice with me!"

With the way he drags the syllables, it's hard to tell if it's a question or a demand. You have a hunch.

"Ahhhh, I don't k-know..." You replied anyway, thinking back to Floyd trying to crush you for fun a few minutes ago. You do want to go ice skating at some point but you had just watched his guy evict half the skaters off the rink without even trying to... Was that a good idea? Your eyes fluttered between Floyd and Azul. "Um, I have to serve customers with Azul while you and Jade are on the ice."

Floyd panned his head around, left and right, brows raising at the empty queue.

"There are no customers?"

"And I wonder whose fault that is?" Azul scowled, crossing his arms and his lip raising. His furious expression intensified as Jade mocked a gasp, hand over his chest.

"Azul, you can't possibly infer us? We were on the ice, far from the stall, were we not?" Jade said, face stoic but you already know internally he is screaming with laughter.

"Don't play coy with me, Jade."

"Shuddup you two, I'm talking to Shrimpy," Floyd growled, a threatening fist raised across his chest. A dangerous, guttural tone hissed through his sharp teeth, paired with a glare.

Yet, in a heartbeat, Floyd was grinning at you again, both arms reaching out to you to try and get you back in his clutches. "Shrimpyyy, just ditch. Azul can't fire you or else I'll smash all the plates. Besides, he's majorly soft and squishy for you, as to be expected from an Octopussy."

"Floyd for the last time, stop calling my species that!" Azul shouted, a vein popping in his neck and fist trembling violently at his side. Yet, in spite of his blooming anger forcing his usually composed voice to sputter, he refused to look you in the eye, his oblong pupils darting around at everything else. "A-and I am not soft for them!-"

"Soft and squishy and delicious!" Floyd laughed.

Azul quite frankly looked like he was on the road to another Overblot and you swore you heard a tooth crack so you quickly stepped in. Not literally though. Fearless as you may be, you did not have a death wish and you were too familiar with their physical prowess. One time Floyd lifted a sofa with a single hand to hoover beneath it while you were sitting on it and you witnessed Azul punch through a stone wall in a scalding tantrum. He lost his prized ink pen – a birthday gift from his mother – only to find it 30 minutes later.

For your own self-preservation, you would not be caught between them anytime soon. But verbally? That you could do.

"Will you stop antagonising Azul if I go with you?" you asked with a heavy sigh.

"Hmmm," Floyd pressed a finger to his lip, musing it over before flashing you a shit-eating grin. "No."

"Then I won't come on the ice with you. Simple as that."

"Ahhhh come on!" Floyd huffed, pouting and grumbling under his breath before giving in when your eyes locked again. "Okay fine. Jade's staying on with us though. Azul, you coming?"

"Possibly later as I have to stay at this booth considering all my workers are off ice skating," Azul glared at the three of you with lips pressed together. The response wasn't exactly apologetic either – the twins leering coyly at him and you offering a tense grin. But he really shouldn't have expected any less from you three. So after a long, endeared exhale and a push of his glasses back up his nose, Azul gave in. "Go have fun, you three. Not too long, okay?"

"Thank you sir!~" Jade and Floyd chorused before skating off.

"Thanks, Azul," you said as well, scooping him into a brief but tight hug. Azul stiffened before his arms furl around your torso, squeezing gently back. And before you ran away to grab some skates, you cherished how his face relaxed. Even though Azul would never admit it, Floyd is right. He really is soft for you, and only you.

Skating with the twins is surprisingly fun but as you expected it's equally terrifying and exhausting. They are relentless as they throw you across the ice to glide you to each of them in a twisted game of catch. They twirled you, dipped you, leaned you close to the ground, anything to make you scream when there isn't much room for you to steady yourself. And when they weren't playing catch with you, they skated with you slotted in the middle. Squished between each of their arms, you feel as if you're crammed between two walls. Their taunting laughter echoes in your brain.

And yet even as they tease and play with you like a kitten with a mouse, you would often find yourself laughing along, enjoying the twin's macabre company. Because in those moments when they hold your hand to pull you along or pick you up after you fall, you could not deny how your heart melted.

I mean... They're the reason you fall but – most of the time – they catch you. But really, being in their clutches is a thrill and affectionate delight you never get sick of.

Eventually, you all get off to go back to work. Serving only a few brave customers who managed to look Floyd in the eye as more and more people retreated back to their dormitories as the evening wore on.

Until finally the rink is sparse and the only employees left are you, the Tweels, and Azul to shut down for the night. With few people left and the ice rink approaching closing, you still wanted to go ice skating with Azul before it was too late. Naturally, you sought him out, Floyd attached to your hip, lazily grinning as his arm swathed around your back to find him and Jade finishing up.

"Surely you'll go now?" You asked him, eyebrows creasing as you anticipated a smooth and polite rejection from Azul. You were really trying to not get your hopes up but you had been looking forward to skating with him the whole evening.

"[Name], as much as I would absolutely love to, as I said – Ice-skating was a possibility, not a certainty," Azul started, a hand pressed against his chest and another smile that didn't reach his eyes. After each articulated word, your heart floated further and further down to your feet. "You must understand that as the owner of Monstro Lounge, I must check the kiosks to make sure they are all prepared for tomorrow. On top of that, I need to overview the finance and accountancy of today's earnings, stock and other critical things. As unfortunate and poor as it is, I simply won't have the time."

"Oh..." You muttered, not bothering to hide your disappointment as your shoulders slumped and face gazed to the side, missing the flash of regret lamenting Azul's expression.

Floyd and Jade gazed between the two of you, sharing the same empty, agreeing thought. Safe to say from their blank looks fixated on your sad, sorry shape, they were not impressed.

"Why, this is the first time we're hearing of this. We can't possibly let you miss out on ice skating for the first time, well, ever," Jade spoke, feigning surprise with his hand over his mouth but in reality, it was to conceal his curling smile as Azul whipped around to yawp at him. "Say, Floyd, how about we help him? A... considerate gesture if you may."

"Jade, Floyd that's quite alright–" Azul forced out through clenched teeth but Floyd cooly interrupted him.

"Yeah! Go skating with Shrimpy for me and we'll get it sorted, 'K? Have fun!" Floyd hummed, ruffling your hair so hard you feel dizzy like a bobblehead that was thwacked too hard. "Bye-bye!"

"Farewell Azul."

"W-wait a second–!"

But before Azul can protest, the Tweels are striding away, their long legs too fast for Azul to ever catch up.

When he turned to you, his cheeks are peppered violet, the blue blood behind them pulsating and, again, he can't look at you straight.

"Alright. Let's go... ice-skating," he mumbled.

Somehow, his cheeks darkened even more at your radiant, keen smile.

If Jade was apprehensive, Azul was significantly worse, receiving his skates with trembling hands and the first time he stood on his skates on the ground, he wouldn't let go of your hands even for a moment.

If he was like this on the ground, what would he be like on the ice?

"Azul... by any chance, are you scared?" You asked as you held hands, treading carefully to the rink's entrance. A growing guilt was somewhat festering inside you like mould in a damp corner. "You know you don't have to do this, right?"

Azul scoffed.

"How preposterous. Of course, I am not scared," Azul clicked his tongue, head turned away in stubbornness. "Why would I be of skating of all things? Do you take me as a fool? This will essentially be walking with extra steps and style. I am perfectly capable of that."

"As I said, I asked if you were scared not if you were capable," you parroted him, rolling your eyes with a halfhearted smile at his obnoxiously inflated ego. "You just seem tense, that's all."

"You are sorely mistaken. I am perfectly fine," Azul insisted, having learnt nothing from his Overblot apparently.

"Suit yourself. Well, here we are," you said, finally at the rink's entrance and you take note of how Azul's mouth slipped down his face before it returned to a perfectly poised and neutral smile. Only for that smile to falter again as your hand slipped from his and, with an attentive step, you're on. "Easy as that."

"Yes, yes... Easy as that," Azul bristled, lip twitching as he shuffled his hands together. Taking his sweet, sweet time to even move towards the ice.

You hold out a hand to him. "You coming?"

"Of course I am, stop asking stupid questions," Azul barked at you, blushing blue, slapping away your hand and with a deep, hearty breath, he's on too. Refusing to move a muscle or to breathe ever again, but he's on. He seethed out a high exhale. "Easy. Yes, this isn't so bad– GAK!"

Unfortunately, Azul had it all wrong. His feet were too straight, too far from his body, and all it took was one step for his poor balance to buckle, his arm windmilling in panic around him, to fall forward. Surprisingly the fall wasn't too painful, his knees had been bashed but really the main reason was you groaning and writhing in pain underneath him – an unwilling cushion to his fall.

Like a captain with their ship, you both went down together.

"Oh shit," Azul uttered in a mortified, flustered echo. Scrambling away to try to get himself back onto his feet – only for his knees to slip on the ice. And he was falling again, face smacking straight on your stomach. His blush travelled in a violet wave onto his ears.

Cue more frantic slipping and clambering. "This-this is absolutely humiliating I am getting off the ice right-right now! I will not put up with this any longer!"

"Ow. Calm down!" You sat up, hissing at the sharp stabs of pain shooting down your back but it was nothing too serious apart from a painting of bruises.

"Hey, relax."

His wriggling stopped as you seized both his hands, forcing him to settle down and sit on his knees, with shaky pale blue eyes gazing intensely at you.

"Azul, please, you need to be honest when you need help or this will happen again – you fall. I don't want you to fall again," you gently chided, heart heavy as he was shuffling his hands again and looking away with a teary expression a double meaning clear in your words. The mould was festering again in your heart again. "But... it's partially my fault too. I'm sorry, I knew you didn't weren't keen on ice skating but still, I insisted on you skating with me."

"If you want me to be honest then yes, I did not want to do this but this isn't your fault. Not Floyd or Jade's funnily enough though I suspect they are laughing at my expense now. They do encourage me to step out of my comfort zone once in a while... Especially if it involves you," Azul admitted, interlocking your fingers and squeezing gently. "I fell because I'm a stupid octopus."

Yeah, you were having none of that.

"Hey, you are not stupid," you said sternly, the over-earnest expression apparently cracking a laugh from Azul. "I'm serious, don't you laugh at me Mr Ashengrotto," this only makes him laugh more, "ice-skating is hard you know! I struggle with it even today. Jade and Floyd are just shameless showoffs."

"I'll take your word for it," Azul smiled and it was genuine this time, dusted with a blush you struggle to look away from. "What you say is gold."

This time, Azul takes your hand and, in no time at all, you are both back on your feet with Azul feeling a little more motivated to try. From here, you showed Azul how to skate properly, letting him clutch on your hand the whole time. You find he reacted more viscerally than the Tweels, yelping at each potential slip or loss of footing, but you guide him through it. Lifting him when he lowers. Even then, he is exceptionally stubborn and refused to let go of your hand or wrist the whole time, not that you could ever fault him for it.

"Is that a smile I see?" You playfully questioned. Azul waved at you halfheartedly.

"I am sure you're imagining things." He grinned.

"You are! But I thought we were being more honest from now on?" You teased back, not anticipating in the slightest what Azul would say next.

"Then I'd like to fall on you more often."

"What?"

"What?" Azul repeated, face completely flushed.

"Azuls on the ice!" Before Azul can politely elaborate, you both are distracted by the loud gleeful cry belonging to no other than Floyd, who is back on the ice with Jade on his tail. Uh oh.

They are zooming towards you at full speed, ice whistling like darts from their blades behind them. You shared a petrified glance with Azul. Is this the same feeling as being stuck in front of a train soaring down the track?

There is no opportunity to escape as the twins have already reached you before you can turn around. And as their blades skid and screech against the ice, a wave of ice shaving is the last thing you see before you and Azul stumble backwards onto your asses, completely bathed in white.

"Ugh! Floyd! Jade!"

As you and Azul help each other back on your feet... again, the Tweels are howling with laughter, drifting on the ice idly as they empty their lungs, hands on knees and heads thrown back, pointing at you with tears streaming down their face. At first, you and Azul are both unpleasantly disgruntled: noses scrunched up, lips jutted out, and you even have to readjust Azul's crooked glasses. But as the twin's laughter endured longer and longer, gasping for breaths and trying to choke out funny quips like 'you look like a beluga!' that dissolved in the cackles, you and Azul were finding it increasingly difficult to stay mad. Until finally, you and him are laughing along. Hand's still entwined.

Eventually, you skate for the final time that evening on an empty rink, holding hands with Azul and Jade on either side with Floyd effortlessly gliding around you anyway the flow takes him like seaweed in the ocean's current. The night is topped perfectly as it starts to snow, coating all your heads with a wealth of white which gleamed like golden stars under the rink's balmy light.

Unbeknownst that Crowley was watching you from the sidelines, sobbing at the sight because, if the Octavinelle triad and the beast-tamer of all people could enjoy the holidays...

There was hope for all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 54.6K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
2.3K 90 13
Y/N L/N is a young girl unlike her normal breed she doesn't really act the role of a demon. Black Butler various x Fem demon reader
1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
863K 40K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...