The Wolf, The Lion, and The D...

By PhoenixWolf7Fox

Disclaimer: I don't own RWBY, they belong to RoosterTeeth. I own Team LADR This is an au so somethings that h... More

Bio
Ch.1 The Next Step
Ch.2 Remembrance
Ch.3 Of Runaways and Stowaways
Ch.4 Family
Ch.5 Menagerie
Ch.6 Tipping Point
Ch.7 Punished
Ch.8 A Much Need Talk
Ch.10 Kuroyuri
Ch.11 Taking Control
Ch.12 No Safe Haven

Ch.9 Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

15 0 0
By PhoenixWolf7Fox

Josh's Pov

Yang lifts up her head, and arms as they are ready for a fight. Her father, Taiyang, takes a swing at her, and so their spar began.

Nearby, Zwei watches the two spar, panting happily. Beside him is a low stool with two white towels. His head changes angles, oscillating to the sounds of grunts and contact. Abruptly he holds his head straight and makes a noise of surprise.

Taiyang stands alone and moves forward, doing his own roundhouse kick. Yang joins both hands atop each other to block Tai's landing foot. With a loud cry, she pushes it up and back. Taiyang regains his footing in a flip while Yang waits for his landing. Using her robotic arm, she knocks him back with a single hit.

Holding onto his right bicep, Tai slides through the dirt, his feet flat on the ground until he comes to a stop.

Taiyang: "Whoa, that thing packs a punch!"

Yang: "We've been at this for weeks. I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight? (bumping her own fists) I think I'm doing just fine."

Taiyang: "You're close."

He stands upright, no longer nursing his arm. Walking around his daughter in a circle, he assesses her progress.

Yang: "Oh, really?"

Taiyang: "You're still off balance."

Yang: "What?! No, I'm not!"

Taiyang chuckles.

Yang: "Honestly, I'm kind of surprised."

She lifts her robotic arm, looking down at it with a smile.

Yang: "I thought it would be just this huge weight, but it feels... natural."

Taiyang suddenly comes in, delivering a left hook right into her face. Yang's upper body rears back both from impact and surprise. She's ready to block his right hook, however, and uses the turning momentum to deliver an elbow jab. Grinning the entire time, Tai blocks it and then dodges all the kicks she follows through with. Yang switches to punches, but Tai is too on point for her. While she uses her left hand to block an elbow thrust, Tai has grasped her robotic arm and pulled it forward. The position puts Yang in the position of having her balance rely on the weight of one leg.

Taiyang: "I wasn't talking about your actual balance."

He sweeps her forward leg, sending her onto the ground on her back. He leaves her there and walks over to Zwei, who happily gets the top towel for him.

Taiyang: "Although, that could use some work too."

Taiyang takes the towel and gives Zwei a rub on the top of his head. Zwei hums happily. Arms spread on the ground, Yang takes a breath before speaking.

Yang: "Meaning?"

Taiyang: "I saw your tournament fights. During the Vytal Festival."

Yang: "Let me guess. "I was sloppy."

Taiyang: "No, no, you were predictable. And... stubborn. And... maybe a little boneheaded."

Yang sits up and spins to stare at her father.

Taiyang: "Do you realize that you used your Semblance to win every fight after the qualifiers?"

Yang: "So what? How is me using my Semblance any different than someone else using theirs?"

Tossing the towel on the ground, Taiyang moves toward Yang.

Taiyang: "Because not everyone else's is basically a temper tantrum."

Yang's father laughs at his own statement as he crouches by her daughter's side.

Taiyang: "I'm serious! Once you take damage, you can dish it back twice as hard, but that doesn't make you invincible! It's great when you're in a bind, but what happens if you miss? What happens if they're stronger? What then? Now you're just weak and tired! Why can't you be like your boyfriend at the very least?"

Yang: "Oh? What does Josh have to do with this exactly?"

Taiyang: "Well, although you two are similar in attitudes and personalities, your fighting styles are completely different. Josh has the better fighting style and at least tries to time and he never uses his Semblance unless he is in a tight situation. Unlike you, who always deal with your opponent head-on, Josh tends to be more tactical in his fighting style. I mean, I saw what he did in the tournament. But you've always been one to burn brighter than everyone else, whether it was with your smile, or, well, I remember your first haircut."

He playfully tugs the hair on the back of her head. Smiling, Yang bats him away. He chuckles and gets up, walking away a few paces with Zwei just behind him.

Taiyang: "But you gotta keep your emotions in check. Keep a level head, and think before you act. Your Semblance is a great fallback, but you can't let yourself rely on it. It won't always save you."

He lowers his head, sadness creeping into his tone.

Taiyang: "Obviously. You definitely have your mom's stubbornness."

Taiyang faces one of the trees, not looking at Yang. Between the two of them, Zwei moves his head back and forth as each speaks.

Yang: "Oh, so now we can talk about her?"

Taiyang: "Well, as I have been informed, you're an adult now, remember?"

Yang: "Well, sorry I remind you of her."

Taiyang: "Don't be. Raven was great in so many ways - her strength, her ambition, her dedication to whatever cause she thought was worth fighting for."

He then turns around to face his daughter.

Taiyang: "I'm proud of how much of her I see in you. But, I'm glad I don't see all of her in you."

Yang: "Why?"

Taiyang: "Your mother was... a complicated woman. Like everybody, she had her faults, but those faults are what tore our team apart. And, it did a real number on our family. You both act like the easiest way to tackle an obstacle is through it. That strength is all that matters in a fight. But if you always take a second look, then maybe you see... there's a way around as well."

As Yang contemplates on this, Taiyang walks towards his daughter and extends his hand at her.

Taiyang: "Come on - one more before dinner."

Yang takes his hand and he helps her up. They circle each other, arms at the ready. Taiyang makes the first move with a left hook, followed immediately by a right cross and a kick. Yang blocks and dodges, continuing to avoid being hit even when Taiyang flips in the air. She cartwheels, avoiding him and he lands across from her. They face off again, Taiyang doing a single punch and kick. Veering to avoid it, Yang rolls a few feet away before turning and rushing at him. They meet in the middle, each with their left hand on the other's right elbow, pushing against each other.

Taiyang: "Heh. See? Alright! Now you're using your head instead of your—"

Yang kicks his leg out from underneath him, but catches him as he falls back. They pause in that pose, grasping hands and smiling together. They heard clapping and turned towards the sound to see me leaning on a tree, my arm brace fully functional. Yang helps her father back up as they dust themselves off.

Josh: "Glad to see you haven't gotten rusty over the months."

Yang: "Hey, Josh."

Taiyang: "Good to see your arm brace is functioning."

Josh: "Well, thanks for letting me use your tools, Mr. Tai."

Taiyang: "No problem. Right, I'll leave you two for now so I can go and prepare something for dinner."

With that, Taiyang picks up the towels, and leaves the two of us and heads inside the house with Zwei following behind him.

Josh: "So..."

I pushed myself off the tree trunk as I encircle Yang.

Josh: "If you really haven't gotten rusty...."

I adopt an offensive stance as I raised my fists.

Josh: "Why not prove it to me completely?"

Yang smirks as she adapts her own fighting stance at the ready.

Yang: "You're on!"

Yang lunges in first, but I sidestep to evade her right hook and try to counter with a roundhouse kick, only for Yang to block it. She tries to sweep me off my feet, but I backflip gaining some distance between the two of us. This time, I lunged at Yang. Yang readies herself to intercept me, two seconds later, I got to Yang before I deliver a knee strike on her abdomen. Yang retaliates by attacking with her robot arm, but I notice how she suddenly hesitated, her left arm suddenly trembling slightly for some reason.

Joah: "Focus, Yang!"

Using my own arm brace, I easily redirect the punch, sending Yang off balance before I take the opportunity to grab Yang's robotic arm and uses it to twist and spin the rest of her body. Using the built-up momentum, I land a final devastating kick to Yang's abdomen, effectively knocking her down.

After a while, Yang finally sits up. She raises her left arm to see it shaking. She grabs a hold of it to calm herself down. A shadow looms over her, and Yang looks up to see me with a disappointed look, making Yang sigh in dismay.

Josh: "If you're still letting your fear get the best of you, you'll not exactly last long out there. You're not even gonna get anywhere if you feel like you're gonna cry."

I then get down on one knee as I hugged her, as Yang just hangs her head down as she sighs. The house's backdoor swings open to reveal Taiyang, wearing an apron, and in his right hand, he carries an envelope.

Taiyang: "This came in for you, Josh."

Josh: "Oh thanks, Mr. Tai."

While Taiyang helped his daughter up, I open up the envelope to see a letter along with bundles of Lien. As I read the letter, Yang and her father walked up to me, interested in what the letter said.

Taiyang: "So, what did it say?"

Josh: "Oh, it was just my payment for delivering Yang's arm and designing it. Turns out, my original payment from Atlas will take a while to be given, so Professor Glynda sent her own money instead."

Taiyang: "Wow. Who would've thought that she'd actually do that."

Josh: "Huh, I'll probably owe her this one."

I leave as I head back inside their house. Yang and his father, came inside after me.

Meanwhile

In the makeshift practice area of her room, Weiss holds her rapier at the ready. She steps back, twirls, a stream of blue-white light coming from the tip of her sword. On the close of her twirl, Weiss holds it aloft before striking the tip to the floor. A Summoning glyph appears, a large sword slowly but surely beginning to emerge. Weiss' eyes are shut as she concentrates, the power of her Summoning causing a small wind to blow the hair around her face. A voice then interrupts.

???: "Hello, sister."

Weiss' younger brother, Whitley, is propped up against the frame of her open door. The sword Weiss tries to summon shatters and disappears, the glyph fading away after.

Weiss: "Ugh, leave."

Whitley: "How hurtful. And here I am, about to offer you a favour. Father's taking me to town to introduce me to some of his business partners. I'd thought I'd see if you wanted me to pick up anything, since you're... well, stuck here."

Weiss: "Are you jealous? Is that it?"

Whitley: "Whatever do you mean?"

Weiss: "Is that why you hate me? Are you jealous of my abilities? Of Winter's?"

Whitley: "Hmm... no, not really. Honestly, I find it barbaric. It's beneath people like me. Like Father. What can a single Huntsman possibly do that an army cannot? That's why we have one, even if it is run by a fool."

Weiss greatly fought the urge to retort back to her younger brother harshly. She just gritted her teeth in anger as her grip on her rapier tightened.

Weiss: "I said, leave."

Whitley: "Fine, fine. I've got better things to do. Enjoy your... training, however pointless it is."

At the door, Whitley turns around to leave, but stops for a moment.

Whitley: "By the way, I suppose you've heard about Raiden and Brisa's situation. The mad people deserve a worse punishment rather than being imprisoned at their own hou—"

A black glyph appears on the open door, promptly swinging it shut on Whitley's briefly surprised face. Weiss lowers Myrtenaster with a sigh and turns towards her window.

Weiss: "Rai, I hope you're okay...."

Meanwhile

Raiden's Pov

I got to the location where Arisa said to go. But I think it's strange that the place is floating in the sky although I can't say much if we are talking about Atlas.

Raiden: "This is the location but... There is nobody here right now maybe the door is open."

I try the door and it opened, however, I feel like I'm breaking in.

Raiden: "Is anybody home? I don't mean to intrude but I need to speak to someone."

???: "Please leave we don't want anyone here!"

I looked at the hallway and saw a girl in blue and black she had magenta eyes and full black hair peeking out.

Raiden: "W-wait I've been told that I need to go here."

As I was trying to talk to her someone gripped my neck and held a sword to my neck.

???: "State your name and why you are here now!"

Raiden: "M-my n-na––"

The man held at my neck so it was getting harder to breathe and talk.

???: "Zryan Stop! Your killing him!"

The guy called Zryan let go of my neck as I started coughing and getting my breath back.

Zryan: "Sorry bout that but who are you and who sent you kid."

Vetra: "Sorry about him he's very overprotective of me I'm Vetra though. Let's have something to drink."

Raiden: (cough) "Than-Thanks so much."

As me, Zyran and Vetra go to sit down Vetra brew some coffee for us.

Zryan: "My name is Zryan Stormwing and she's Vetra Stormwing what's your name kid."

Raiden: 'Wait did he just say that their Stormwing's maybe their connected to me, ow what's this pain in my head it's getting worse.'

Vetra: "Hey are you ok."

My mind went blank as I saw some of my lost memories replay there was me holding a baby and a boy older than me looking at us.

Mini Rai: "Look Zry she's so cute."

Mini Zry: "Hey, be careful with her."

Mini Rai: "What's her name."

Mini Zry: "Mum and dad said her name is Vetra."

Mini Rai: "Let me guess it means storm like ours."

Mini Zry: "Hehe yep."

Baby Vet: (giggles) "abah."

The flashback ended and tears started rolling down my face when I realised that my siblings were right in front of me. Zryan and Vetra were looking at me with worry.

Zryan: "Hey, you okay!"

Raiden: ".....Zry...Vet.... Brother, sister."

Zryan and Vetra looked at me in shock.

Vetra: "Rai is that you big brother? "

Raiden: "I-It's me."

Zryan got up and started hugging me. As Vetra joined in.

Zryan: "Where have you been little brother!"

Raiden: "Asleep for two hundred years."

As me and my siblings had our reunion Zryan asked me a question.

Zryan: "Rai what are you even doing here."

Raiden: "Oh I've been told to come here to train my skills and to find you guys I guess. I want to know why did you attempt to attack me."

Zryan: "Oh because I thought you were a huntsman coming to kill us two grimm."

Raiden: "Well your not wrong that I'm a huntsman but I'm in training. However, I wasn't coming to kill you guys. So when can I start my training."

Zryan: "Now—"

Vetra: "After your coffee!"

So we all drank our coffee as we all then go to the training ground and I started training with Zryan while Vetra gave me pointers.

Meanwhile

Brisa's Pov

Back in Menagerie, Blake, me, and the masked White Fang member leap from tree to tree. While I was following behind Blake, I was suddenly ambushed by a member of a resistance commander. We both leapt down from the trees and landed down on the grass simultaneously.

Brisa: "Have you been following me?"

Commander: "Yes, milady. It's of the utmost urgency, mistress."

Brisa: "Give me one good reason why I should listen, before I'll strike you down. Right here. right now."

I glared at the high commander as I draw and activates my scythe while the commander just had a neutral look on his face.

Commander: "As you wish, one of our spies has uncovered a plot of the White Fang to capture you and use you to force Lady Garcia to ally with them, in exchange for your life. Staying here will most likely increase that chance."

My expression hardens yet again as I raise my scythe at the guard threateningly.

Brisa: "They can't possibly--"

Commander: "Believe what you want to believe, mistress. In the end, you'll know I'm right."

Before I could even say anything back to the high commander, we both hear a voice I recognizes.

Blake: "Help! Somebody!"

Just as I was about to investigate what was going on, I was suddenly intercepted by the spy me and Blake were chasing a while ago. I couldn't exactly make out the spy's appearance completely due to her incredibly dark skin. The spy draws her blade.

Brisa: "Who are you?! What do you want?"

I give the spy a firm look as her grip on her weapon tightens.

Spy: "You...."

I was not exactly surprised by this, and I was about to confront the spy, but the high commander beats me to it.

Commander: "If you want, Mistress Lycandra. You'll have to go through me."

He draws his spear that was strapped from his back and points it at the spy threateningly, while he stands in front of his mistress to protect me from any harm that might come from the spy.

Spy: "You shouldn't have come here, mistress."

The spy breaks off into a run, with the high commander giving a chase. I just grumble to myself.

Brisa: "What's the point of having the high commander guard you if they'll leave you behind....."

With that thought, I rush to the cry for help. Upon arriving on top of a roof of a house, she finds Blake cradling an unconscious Sun, a red smudge of taint, which I guessed was blood, present on Sun's shoulder. I groan and pick him up by placing his right arm around my shoulders.

Brisa: "You're lucky I heard you."

Meanwhile

Cyra's Pov

Me and the others were walking through a forest filled with trees around us as Ruby and Jaune were carrying Qrow on a makeshift stretcher. Ren and Razor are before us on the path, leading the way while, me and Nora bring up the rear, our weapons drawn. I was having trouble keeping my body focused on the journey ahead.

Just then, crackles of light from my Aura mixed with dark purplish colour flashed across my entire body. The pain was too unbearable for me as I cried out in pain, and nearly lost my balance, but Nora grabs a hold of me in time.

Nora: "You alright?"

Cyra: "Besides the poison.... making abnormalities in my Aura.... and the tiring walk... Yeah, I'm totally fine...."

I manage to regain my composure back and continued walking.

Qrow: "Tai. She's not... coming... Tai."

Qrow was mumbling and coughing in his sleep, while a light surge of pain runs across my body again, making me grit my teeth in pain.

Jaune: "They're getting worse."

Ruby: "How much farther?"

Nora: "We've gotta be close."

Ren: "Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something."

Ren has holstered his weapon as he spotted a signpost ahead, and rushes towards it.

Ruby: "What is it?"

Directly ahead is a fork in the road with a signpost. I was able to read the signs despite the distance and noticed we are coming from the direction of Higanbana. Kuchinashi and Mistral are to the right, where the land is mountainous. To the left is Kuroyuri, its name crossed out. The path that way, however, remains low ground.

Nora: "Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh..."

Ruby: "Does it say how close?!"

Ren: "No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains."

Jaune and Ruby gently set Qrow down.

Jaune: "Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb."

Cyra: "I can make it, I just have to..... Aargh..."

I groaned out in pain as I tried holding my pain, crackles of my Aura flashing across my body yet again. Ruby rushes to my side as I continuously groan.

Ruby: "Cyra you need to try and get up."

Cyra: "I can't Ruby. I feel too drained to from the attack. Hell, I don't even know if I could even summon a single flame anymore. Every time I try to use my Aura, it just hurts... Really bad."

Ruby looks at Qrow, concerned, before rushing forward to the sign post.

Ruby: "Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?"

Ren: "That village was destroyed years ago."

Cyra: "We're limited on options here, Ren. If it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got."

Ren: "It will take too long."

Ruby: "The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!"

Jaune: "Right!"

Ren looks away angrily.

Ren: "We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!"

There is just a brief moment of silence after Ren's sudden outburst. Ruby watches him, clutching her hands before her chest.

Jaune: "Ren, why are you acting—"

Nora cuts Jaune off and comes up beside Ren.

Nora: "We can split up."

Ruby: "Huh?"

Nora puts her hand on Ren's shoulder in a reassuring manner.

Cyra: "Ren, Nora, and I can cut through the mountains while you, Razor and Ruby take Qrow around through the village."

Jaune: "No, we're supposed to stick together! We keep each other safe!"

Nora: "We don't have time for safe!"

Cyra: "Look Jaune, at least this way we'll be able to cover more grounds. If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help!"

Nora: "If we don't, then at least we'll have a better view of the land! Up there, we can see if there's somewhere else we can go!"

Cyra: "Exactly."

Ren turns and looks at Nora. They exchange small, affectionate smiles. Still holding his gaze, Nora drops her hand from his shoulder. All of us remain silent for a second, feeling the weight of the choice before them. Qrow coughs, making us all turn in concern and giving us the motive to continue. Another surge of pain comes and I close my eyes out of discomfort as my face contorts with the pain. Ruby grabs a hold of my hand, and gently squeezes it, which at least gave mr some small comfort. I smiled at her which she returns. Jaune then looks at me and Ruby before turning to Nora and Ren.

Jaune: "OK."

Jaune steps forward and he and Ren hug each other.

Jaune: "Just take care of each other."

On the path to Kuroyuri, Jaune and Ruby lift Qrow. They turn to me, Nora and Ren, as we continue on the path through the mountains to Mistral. Jaune nods at Nora and waves. Ren starts to turn, but he looks back one more time and then runs, with me and Nora following closely behind.

Ruby: "They're gonna be fine, Jaune."

Razor: "We just need to trust them."

Jaune: "You don't know that. Shouldn't you be worrying for Cyra?"

Ruby's expression saddens but tries to cover it up with a smile.

Ruby: "Believe me, Jaune. I'm freaking out of worry for her. I remember Cyra always telling me that all we have to do is trust and believe in what she can do as a friend, and someone very dear to me. Even if she is heavily injured she will survive..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251 0 11
The continued story of Team PWWR, as they follow Team RWBY'S investigation, on the White Fang. This is a RWBY x OCs story. Everything belongs to Mon...
263 1 9
This is a story I create in my free time. This is a RWBY story, but with the addition of my character. P.S. I'm not the owner of any music or picture...
1K 28 9
The first semester is over and now Team (F/I)DGS is now moving on to the next semester, along with Team RWBY and Team JNPR. Let's see how this semest...
268 0 14
Disclaimer: I don't own RWBY, they belong to RoosterTeeth. I own Team LADR This is an au so somethings that happen in the show will not happen in the...