Dragon Lady

By iceempress

Charlotte Maxwells is a shy and quiet girl to strangers, but people who are close to her knows that she is a... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Chapter 3- Party pt1

7 0 0
By iceempress

Charlotte's POV

When we arrived, the party was in full swing, you can hear the music blasting at full volume even from the outside. The ballroom is separated from the hotel's main building for reasons like this.

Stepping out of the car door, I breathe in the cool crisp air slowly, trying to calm my nerves. I haven't been in a club since I graduated a year ago, putting all the effort and time into work, wanting to prove my ability to my dad. I made a note to drink less, God knows my alcohol tolerance is down the drain.

"This way please!" The bouncer led us through the door and security into a private booth, it has a deep navy veil curtain providing some privacy. "Enjoy the night." He bowed then left after receiving some tips from Liam.

"Alright, so this is how we are going to do this. 2 of us should be together the whole time, although we aren't young, I still don't want accidents to happen." Tiffany announced. Since she's the oldest of our cousins, she usually takes charge when we go out, even her two brothers couldn't say much, unless they want to face her wrath.

"Liam, I think you should be responsible of Charlotte, I trust you so don't mess up, she just got back not long ago, introduce her to your friends so she can make connections." She said seriously.

"Chris and Vincent stick together." They automatically moved closer, not needed to be told twice. Vince and Chris is really close since they're only months apart.

"And we 3 will be together. Keep your phone's on you at all times, call back when you see a miss call, or text back, check often. See you all soon." Blowing kisses, Tiffany dragged Victoria and Jacob the dance floor, disappearing amongst the crowds, all the while Jacob was grumbling about why he was stuck with two girls.

"Come on man. The night is young!" Chris also pulled Vince away from the booth.

"You don't have to babysit me, I'm 23, I can look after myself. And I will just order some drinks, I won't move, I swear. Go have fun." I waved my cousin away as I plopped down onto the leather seats with a sigh, already feeling tired. When Liam didn't move, I looked up, he is still standing and looking out onto the dance floor, trying to search for something, or rather someone.

"Now, we can't have that, can we? Let's go Kiddo!" Liam shouted over the music.

Urgh, I groaned internally, it's going to be a looong night.

************
Liam pulled me towards a group of people his age and slapped on a guy's shoulder.

"Yo Alex, glad to have you back in the country man! How's the goodbye party? Can't believe I missed it." Slinging his arm over the guy's shoulders easily.

The guy called Alex turned around, grinned widely and did a weird handshake with Liam. Then they started talking about the party, after a few minutes, he noticed me awkwardly standing there, trying to tug my designer purple cocktail dress lower with no success.

"Who's this pretty lady ?" He yelled into Liam's ear, raising his chin towards me and winked at me at the same time.

"She's off limits dude, it's my lil' cousin sister, Charlotte!" Liam turned to me and pulled me closer. "Charlotte, this is Alex, my best friend since high school. Stay away from him." He warned.

I stared up into the pools of blue eyes, it's reeling me in at a fast rate and I can't seem to resist it. At that moment, everything faded away apart from us...

I took a good look at him, he's at least a good five inches taller than me. With light brown hair gelled sideways so that it's a comb over and high chiselled cheekbones, looking like a perfectly sculpted greek God. His lean but muscular frame shone through the light baby blue shirt he was wearing.

But the next sentence that came out of that sexy pink lips made me dislike him instantly:" Nah, I don't do inexperienced virgins, I like em a lil' rough in bed, ya know?" Winking at the same time.

What an asshole! I thought, grimacing at his words. Just because I've been so devoted in my studies doesn't mean that I am inexperienced or a virgin. I've only had one boyfriend, that was back on high school for 2 years, I lost my virginity to him. But hasn't  dated anyone since then.  In university guys just wanted friends with benefits, in other words fuck buddies, where as I was looking for a nice guy to have a relationship with, since that didn't work out, I just stayed single.

I pulled my dancing cousin's shoulder down to my height, and yelled into his ear, "I'm gonna go get a drink and find the others. Do you want anything?"

"No, I'm fine. Go on, text me when you find others." Bobbing his head, he continue to dance and turned away.

I gave one last look to the sexy beast, Alex before plunging into the sea of people.

He's not worth it, I assured myself. People like him only have a good looking face, when underneath it's rotten. Trying to clear my thoughts, I move towards the bar to order a drink.

"Hey sexy, what can I get you."

Pushing myself onto the bar stool, I replied:" A glass of Dom Perignon Rosé please." The bartender moved away to get my drink, while I rotated the stool to look back towards the dance floor, trying to find the familiar faces of my cousins.

Scanning through the faces, I saw Tiffany in the arms of a gorgeous man, who is smiling at whatever she said. Joining the circle is Victoria and Jacob, both holding a drink in their hands, sipping it once in a while, looking bored out of their minds.

Chris, as usual, the ladies man had his arm slung over a pretty brunette, while a group of girl surrounded him and Vince. Vince is looking so awkward and uncomfortable, standing there with a martini in his hand, while trying to bob his head with the beat of the music.

Then my eyes landed on a figure that's trying to squeeze through people, heading towards the bar, and it finally registered in my mind that it's Mr Cocky. Turning around quickly and grabbing my drink, I sipped down some, my throat scorching with alcohol. Please don't see me, I chanted in my head, while trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.

But then, I've never been the one with good luck. "Hello Charlotte."

A deep voice greeted me from the back. I turned around and meekly met his eyes.

Okay Charlotte, you can be civil towards this man. After tonight you can avoid him at all cost. I silently promised myself.

After giving myself a pep talk, I greeted him with a polite "Hello!" Sipping my drink again, trying to boost my courage.

I seems to lose my cool infront of this man, although I'm shy and quite, I was never the one to be easily intimidated.

Alex waved the bartender over to order a Mojito, while I studied the side of his face intently. He has a high cheekbone, chiselled jaw and a perfectly sculptured nose, while his eyes are the perfect shade of sky blue with dark eyebrows framing them.  Rosy lips that make you want to kiss him senseless, wait, where did that came from? There's a hint of dimples at the side of his mouth, which makes him all the more adorable.

I awkwardly cleared my throat, and turned my eyes away before I got caught. I saw Jacob walking towards us, sighing internally for the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with him alone, sending a mental thanks towards my cousin brother.

"Hey Lottie!" He smiled, "Why are you here alone? Come on, you are supposed to be having fun!" He then points towards Vince, who is dancing to the rhythm with girls going in circles around him, "Even he is enjoying himself, see?" Jacob didn't give me a chance to reply, and proceeds to pull me towards the dance floor. I stumbled for a few steps with my 6" heels because I'm not used to them.

I felt a large hand wrap around my upper arm, stopping me from stumbling. I raised my eyes to meet the royal blue ones of Alexander, his eyes seem to change color. "Are you okay?" He asked, looking concerned.

By now, Jacob has realised that he couldn't pull me forward and turn around to look at this tall, well sculptured man. "And who might you be? How do you know Lottie?" he asked with arms folded across his chest and a thoughtful look on his face.

Alex looked amused, "Hello, I seem to have forgotten my manners. I'm Liam's  best friend since high school , Alexander Reynolds. Perhaps you've heard of me?" Arching a perfect eyebrow, he continued, "I assume you are one of his siblings?"

"Oh, Liam's friends, should've guessed. I'm Jacob, I'm his younger brother. I've heard him mentioned you, but since I was studying in Australia, never got the chance to meet you" They shook hands, Jacob continued," Its nice to meet you and all, but I'm stealing Charlotte for a bit, its cousin bonding time tonight, I'm sure you'd understand. See ya later!" Turning around, he pushed me by my shoulders into the group of dancing bodies.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...