๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐€๐๐†๐„๐‹ |...

Da luvbug_26

๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐€๐๐†๐„๐‹. /หˆษกรคrdฤ“ษ™n/ noun a defender, protector, or keeper. ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ-๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๏ฟฝ... Altro

๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐๐”๐“๐„๐’
๐๐€๐‘๐“ ๐Ž๐๐„
๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š๐ง ๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ
๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“๐ŸŽ ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ
๐Ÿ’ โœซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ซ๐ข๐จ๐ญ ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ
๐Ÿ“ โœซ ๐š ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐จ๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐๐จ๐ฆ
๐Ÿ” โœซ ๐›๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐ž๐š๐๐ฌ
๐Ÿ• โœซ ๐š๐ง ๐š๐ฅ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐š๐ง
๐Ÿ– โœซ ๐š ๐๐ž๐Ÿ๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ซ๐ž
๐Ÿ— โœซ ๐ซ๐ž๐ข๐ง ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ง
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ โœซ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ ๐ข๐ง
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐œ๐š๐ง๐ง๐จ๐ง๐ฌ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐ซ๐ž๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’ โœซ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ซ๐ž๐ฆ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ 
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“ โœซ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ซ๐ž๐
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ” โœซ ๐š ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ข๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• โœซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐š๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฆ๐š๐ญ๐ก
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ– โœซ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฑ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ก๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ซ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ— โœซ ๐ฉ๐š๐ง๐ข๐œ ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐œ๐ค
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ โœซ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž
๐๐€๐‘๐“ ๐“๐–๐Ž
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ’๐ญ๐ก ๐ก๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ซ๐ซ๐จ๐ฐ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง๐ง๐ข๐œ๐ค ๐จ๐๐š๐ข๐ซ

๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐๐ž๐œ๐ข๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง

3.6K 171 65
Da luvbug_26

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

    𝐒𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐀𝐃𝐌𝐈𝐓, despite her disgust that everyone is forced to dress nice just in case you are chosen to fight to your death, Adrian did do a beautiful job with this dress. It wasn't anything extreme, mainly because Adrian most likely knew if it was anything extravagant, Sage would never wear it. Instead, it was just a simple, plain, mint green dress. Nicer than anything she has owed in a long, long time.

    Sage couldn't help but stare at herself in the broken mirror, running her hands over the soft fabric. She always hated looking at herself in the mirror- seeing the bright blue eyes, pasty pale skin and freckles along her nose and cheeks staring back at her. It was just a reminder of who she resembled so much. When she looks in the mirror, all she sees staring back at her is her mother, because the cruelty of this world had decided it would be a good idea to give her the exact features of the same woman who hated her.

    Her skin was a bit sore since she had to scrub herself twice to remove the dirt stains from her skin and under her nails. She is currently french braiding her long hair, wanting it out of her eyes. Hyacinth was watching her from her bed, a worried look on her face. She was already dressed and ready to go, seeing as she is still required to attend.

    The rules are simple, if you are not severely ill or on your deathbed, then there is no excuse. And since she is not close to death, her presence was required. Gladis had agreed to watch after her for free given the fact that she left abruptly yesterday, not giving her a reason to why, just said she left when she thought Hyacinth was sleeping and figured Sage would be home soon. If Sage wasn't desperate for her help, she would have fired her on the spot.

    "I like that dress." Hyacinth spoke up, breaking the thick, eerie silence. "Adrian is getting very talented."

    "I like it too." Sage admitted, truthfully. The redhead couldn't stop thinking about what Adrian said to her yesterday. About how she wasn't as naive as Sage had always assumed she was and how she truly cares about Sage so much that she is willing to put up with her snarky attitude and constant hostility. About how she just wants Sage to know she has someone routing for her back home if she was ever reaped for the Hunger Games.

    It was probably the first time Sage Rowan felt genuinely moved by anyone. Adrian is the first one since Hyacinth to push past her boundaries, to take her bluntness and sarcasm with open arms and suffocate them with her kindness and sunshine attitude. She was never phased by Sage's harsh words or haunting her past. And the more she thinks about it, the more Sage realizes Adrian doesn't try as hard with everyone else like she does with her. Sure, she is friends with pretty much everyone but no one else gives her a hard time like Sage does. And Adrian still refuses to give up on her.

    Sage always figured she would give up eventually. She knew she wasn't worth all the effort Adrian gives into being her friend. But it took until yesterday for Sage to finally realize that maybe, just maybe, Adrian is never going to give up. Maybe... maybe she is actually worth the fight Adrian puts in everyday to be a true friend.

    A knock on the door caused the redhead to snap out of her wandering daze. Sage immediately answered it, allowing Gladis in who was ready for this ceremony as was the rest of them. After a brief greeting, Gladis went to grab Hyacinth and the three started making their way to the Justice Building. They had left earlier than normal, knowing Hyacinth's bad hips would make their trip longer. She had her cane, Gladis holding her other arm and Sage right there just in case they needed assistance.

    Only once they were halfway there was when people started making their way as well. Sage felt her stomach turning into a tight knot. She can't deny that this day gives her anxiety beyond belief. Because she knew without a doubt that if she was reaped, then she was heading to her death, because she had made up her mind, and that was she would rather let herself die in the bloodbath than risk becoming a victor. The last thing she wants is to turn into her mother.

    By the time they got to the Justice Building, Sage was forced to separate from Hyacinth. The older woman gave the fifteen year old girl a nod, which the redhead returned. That was their way of Hyacinth asking if she was alright and Sage telling her she was fine. They never said anything before the reapings, just went into them and prayed Sage came out of it.

    Heading to the sign in the desk, she stood in line with the older kids. Once she was in front, she let the woman prick her finger and place it on the paper, scanning her in before sending her on her way. Sage examined the Justice Building, seeing the Panem banners all set up, as well as the camera crew on both sides of the stage to get better shots of the boys and girls. Everything about the Hunger Games was televised. From the moment the reapings begin and until the winner is crowned. And of course if you are the victor, then you will be televised for the rest of your life. Part of the grand prize they promise you.

    On the stage, there were many government officials of District 9, including the Mayor Lennon Pine. He sat next to District 9 only victor, Walker Carmine. Sage met him once, when she was five years old. It was a very brief encounter. He smelled like fresh baked cookies and lavender soap. He had smiled at her and told her she looked just like her mother. Sage could see he thought it was a compliment, but it seemed to offend her mother who then ordered him to leave, practically shoving him out the door and slamming it shut.

    Sage understands her mother's anger now... she hates that she looks so much like her too.

    Sage looked over to where the rest of the citizens of District 9 are forced to stand, hoping to see Hyacinth or Gladis, but unfortunately couldn't see either of them from where she was standing. Turning back, she suddenly locked eyes with a familiar light green pair.

    Adrian was in the row in front of her, but more the right side while Sage was standing to the left. Sage could see the nerves on her expression alone, but also by the way she kept shifting her weight from one foot to the other. The brunette girl tried brushing it off and gave the redhead a timid, small smile. Sage didn't return the smile, just gave the girl a nod like she gave Hyacinth, but this time it had a different meaning, one she hoped Adrian was able to pick up.

    Everything is going to be alright. Breathe.

    Adrian did seem to understand and nodded back, taking a deep breath. Soon, Mayor Lennon Pine steps up to the microphone to start the ceremony, drawing in everyone's undivided attention. He starts by greeting everyone before reciting the history of Panem as well as the First Rebellion. He then goes on to explain the implementation of the Hunger Games as well as the rules. It was the same speech every year, recited from the same cards that he no longer needed to hold as he has done this so many times he has everything memorized. Once finished, he passes on the microphone to the person everyone in the District dreaded seeing.

    It wasn't long until a high pitched noise started squealing very loudly into the microphone, causing a lot of the residents of 9 to cringe; which only meant that District 9's escort, Bird Winders, had taken the stage with her outrageous presence. Something about this woman always bothered Sage, probably because of the way she acts like she is on top of the world, or how she wore those awful costumes that she and everyone else in the Capitol considered fashion. It may also have to do with her high squeaky voice that makes your ears ring every time she opens her big mouth. It just wasn't pleasant in the slightest.

    "Welcome, everyone! It is so, so, so wonderful to be back here, I am so thrilled to see every single one of your beautiful faces again." Bird smiled so widely, Sage's own cheeks started to hurt because of it. "The moment has come once again, where we select one valiant male and female, for the honor of participating in the 68th Annual Hunger Games."

    Honor. Sage bit down on her tongue as her blood began to boil. Apparently it was an honor to force innocent children to become murderers for their own amusement. Assholes.

    "Well, let's just get to it then! I'm so excited, I can't breathe. That might just be the heat. My word, is it hot!" Bird awkwardly laughed, fanning herself with a white, glitter hand fan. Sage figured if she wasn't wearing a full white leather attire with a white bob wig, then she probably wouldn't be so hot. Leather and sun just do not mix.

    "As always, ladies first," Bird beamed, bouncing over to the girl's large bowl, digging through it before pulling out a single piece of paper. Walking back over to the mic, the escort opened the white slip, smiling brightly at the crowd before her before reading the name loudly over the silent, anxious crowd. "Adrian Pine."

    When Sage Rowan was six years old, her mother had backhanded her across the face for the first time when she stupidly got up the courage to ask her who her father was. Sage remembers running to her room and sobbing into her pillow, the side of her face becoming swollen from the blow. Not only was she just hit brutally across the face that it slipped her lip, but it was her own mother who had done it.

    Still, that was not as bad as the invisible punch in the face she just received when Bird Winders read the name of the female tribute over the microphone. It was like her ears stopped working, filled with a vibrant hum as she tried to understand exactly what she was feeling.

    All eyes had turned to the beautiful fifteen year old girl, as did Sage's. All she saw was the utter terror and tears filling her eyes. She was frozen in place, unmoving... in a current state of shock and denial. Everyone was thinking the exact same thing. Not Adrian... not this kind, wonderful, beautiful soul. Anyone but Adrian.

    By the time Sage felt like she tuned back into reality, she could hear the loud cries of a woman standing in the crowd. It has to be her mother. Sage's stomach twisted and turned, the food she had forced herself to eat last night started to come back up. Adrian still hadn't moved, but Bird was calling to her, telling her to come up. Just as Adrian turned to meet Sage's eyes again, her cheeks stained with tears and her lip was quivering in utter fear, two Peacekeepers grabbed her and started escorting her to the stage.

    Sage was looking around, noticing how other people were holding a hand over their mouths, silent crying for the girl who everyone adores. She was District 9's sweetheart. She was loved by many, and has helped so many people when she could. Sage felt something she never thought she would feel for anyone... absolute terror. She was terrified for Adrian. Terrified that she is going to have to watch Adrian fight in the Arena. She will lose her innocence. She will become something she hates. That light that burns so bright, would be snuffed out.

    Sage didn't know what was worst. Watching Adrian die in those games... or watching her lose herself and come out of there a completely different person. Because no one is ever the same after those games. No one.

    By the time Adrian made it onto the stage, Mayor Lennon Pine was on his feet and running to Adrian. Adrian wrapped her arms around her father tightly, the older man sobbing and repeatedly saying 'no' over and over again so loudly, he didn't need a microphone for everyone to hear him. This only made people's reactions worsen, especially as a Peacekeeper came and separated them with the help of Walker Carmine. He grabbed the mayor and pulled him back, knowing that these interruptions were not tolerated.

    Bird had grabbed a shakened Adrian and walked her to stand next to her left in the middle of the stage. The same sickening, shit-eating grin was on her face as she spoke into the microphone. "Wow. I can't remember the last time we had a mayor's child be selected. This is very interesting. How wonderful. But before I continue, I must ask if there are any females out there who would like to volunteer for Miss Adrian Pine here. Going once-"

    Sage looked around, her heart felt like it was going to explode out of her chest. She squeezed her eyes shut and everything was suddenly going in slow motion as she tried to understand what she was even considering doing. If she did this- No! No, it was stupid. It was beyond stupid.

    "Going twice..." Bird spoke loudly again. Sage's eyes snapped open and she looked up at Adrian, who was standing there with her head bowed, knowing no one would volunteer. All hope lost. They weren't a career District. No one is trained for the games since they were old enough to walk. No one was lined up to volunteer. No one actually wants to participate in the Hunger Games.

    But then Adrian's words replay in her head from yesterday. I just think you deserve to know you have someone who truly cares about you, even if you will never care for me in return.

    She's wrong. She is very, very wrong. Sage does care about her... she just never allowed herself to admit it until this very moment. Adrian Pine somehow broke through her walls and wormed her way into her guarded heart. Walls put there by her own mother who told her she would never be enough. Something Sage has walked around believing all her life... until Adrian freaking Pine came into her life. Now the thought of watching her die was unthinkable. Unimageable. Adrian Pine is her friend. She has to protect her friend.

    Bird sighed into the microphone. "Well, if no one is going to-"

    "I volunteer as tribute!" Sage spoke loudly, shooting her hand in the air and cutting the escort off mid sentence.

    All heads sharply turned in her direction, multiple gasps of surprise and disbelief that someone actually volunteered, but the whispers only started when they saw exactly who was raising their hand. Sage ignored the looks, just stared straight ahead as the people on the stage were now staring in her direction in complete shock. Adrian's head snapped up, her eyes widening once her eyes met Sage's and she began shaking her head.

    "Either my eyes and ears are deceiving me, or it looks like District 9 has their very first volunteer!" Bird said with happiness and also surprised. Sage finally put her hand down just as two Peacekeepers came up and escorted her to the stage, where Adrian was still standing, but her father was now by her side once again, looking just as stunned as the rest.

    Sage's mind was spinning, trying to understand what she just had done. Walking up the steps, she was met by many astonished stares, but the only one she was focused on was Adrian who was now crying for a completely different reason. The brunette walked right up to the redhead, eyes red and puffy and drained. "Don't do this, Sage. Not for me."

    Sage only gave the girl something she always found hard to do, and that was a genuine, heartbreaking smile. When Adrian noticed it, she knew that was the only answer she was going to receive, her shoulders shaking and allowed her father to pull her back so Sage could take her place where she once stood seconds ago.

    Bird examined her up and down, taking in her appearance. "This is so exciting! I've been an escort for District 9 for eight years and I never thought in my wildest imagination that I'd witness someone volunteering. So mysterious! Now, I must know the name of our beautiful new female tribute."

    Bird shoved the microphone in front of Sage's face, but the redhead felt like she was operating on autopilot, her voice was rough and raw as she spoke softly into the mic. "Sage Rowan."

    Bird cheered loudly as she moved back to the microphone. "Well that was a shocking turn of events. Obviously I didn't expect that but absolutely loved, loved, loved it. Now, without further ado, on to the boys!"

    The escort walked over to the right side and pulled out another white slip from the large bowl. Walking back to the mic, she unfolded the paper and read the name loudly. "Chance Henderson."

    Sage watched as people turned to a very tall male in the front row. His light tan skin flushed red and eyes widened. Sage doesn't know him. She has never even met the guy, she'd remember if she did, her memory was kind of a secret gift only a few knew about. He definitely does not live on the Dread and he was clearly older. Either seventeen or eighteen. Unlike Adrian, he didn't need to be escorted to the stage as he was able to shake out of his state of shock pretty quickly and did his best to morph his expression into neutral, not wanting to reveal anything to anyone.

    Bird ushered him to her side and looked at him up and down. "Well, aren't you very handsome? And tall. Now, I highly doubt we'll have some more excitement tonight, but as it is standard rule, I must ask if there are any other young men out there who would like to volunteer for Mister Chance Henderson? Going once... going twice..." When no one said anything, Bird frowned in disappointment. "Oh well. This has definitely been one of the best Reapings I've ever been a part of, that's for sure."

    "Ladies and gentleman, I give you your male and female tributes for the 68th Annual Hunger Games." She clapped her hands, just like she did every year and just like every year no one did the same. Frowning in annoyance, Bird turned to the two tributes. "Shake hands, you two."

    The two look to one another, both with the exact same, neutral expression on their faces to keep others from showing their true emotions, both reaching out and shaking each other's hands. They both may not be showing their emotions, but it was clear that they were both scared shitless.

    "May the odds be ever in your favor!"

><><><

    𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 led into the Justice Building where they were separated into two different rooms. The room Sage found herself in was probably the nicest room she's seen since her old home in Victor's Village. As soon as the door shut, entrapping her in the room, the reality of what she had just done hit her in the chest.

    Inhaling and exhaling, Sage paced the room and shook out her arms and hands to try to stop herself from breaking down. She doesn't cry. She hasn't cried since her mother killed herself in front of her eyes. Crying was a weakness and she was anything but weak. What just happened— her volunteering— there is nothing she can do about it now. She can't take it back. She doesn't want to take it back, not if it meant Adrian would be standing here instead. This was the right decision. Adrian Pine is too pure to be ruined by the games. Her life is too meaningful to be taken out like that.

    Sage's life, however, meant nothing. No one liked her, which may be more her fault for pushing people away. She lived a hollow existence. Giving her life for someone like Adrian was a sacrifice she was willing to make.

    It wasn't long before the doors opened once again and three people walked into the room. Sage didn't even get a chance to react before she was attacked into a very tight embrace. She didn't respond, just allowed a clearly upset Adrian to hold her, as she noticed that she had apparently brought her parents. Mayor Lennon stood back with his wife, Felicia, giving the two girls a minute.

    When Adrian finally pulled back, Sage was able to see her face. Her eyes were still puffy and red from crying so much, her face paler than usual. She was shaking, looking up at the redhead with her big green eyes, her expression haunted. "W-Why did you do that?"

    Sage thought about lying, saying that she just felt like it or any other bullshit excuse, but this is most likely going to be the last time she will see Adrian. She didn't want to say goodbye with lies or sarcasm. So she gave the brunette a soft smile. "Because you don't deserve it."

    "Neither do you," Adrian choked out, her chest rising and falling as she tried to contain her breathing.

    Sage only shook her head, before placing both hands on the girl's shoulders. "You have people who love you here, Adrian. You are important to a lot of people in this District. You help so many to the best of your ability every single day. You have done so much for me even when I've been terrible to you. You forced yourself into my life, you self-proclaimed yourself my best friend and you never gave up on me, even when you thought I'd never care for you in return.

    "But you were wrong. Because when they called your name, the mere thought of watching you in that Arena made me sick to my stomach. You are my friend, Adrian. I know I said you weren't, but you are. Probably the only one I'll ever have. And I'd rather be taken out in that Arena for you then stay here and risk never having you in my life again."

    To say Adrian was taken back by her words would be an understatement. Her jaw was slightly ajar and fresh tears were starting to form once again. She couldn't find the words to respond, so instead she threw her arms around Sage's neck once again... and this time the redhead returned the embrace, arms wrapping around her and holding her as tightly as she could.

    "Sage," the sound of Mayor Lennon's voice caused the girls to break away, stepping forward with his wife by his side. "We can't- We can't thank you enough for what you just did for our little girl. And Adrian told us about Hyacinth, about how you take care of her, how she is unwell. I just want you to know, we are going to be taking her in and she will have the best care we can provide."

    It took everything in Sage to remain composed from hearing his words. But that is when the ultimate guilt set in. She had been so worried about Adrian, she didn't think what was going to happen to Hyacinth. It was like a weight was lifted off her chest at his words and the redhead nodded in appreciation. "Thank you, Mayor Lennon. That means a lot."

    "No," Felicia Pine spoke, her voice as soft as her eyes. She took a step forward and hugged the girl briefly, but Sage didn't return it. "Nothing we do will be enough to repay this gift you've given us. You've saved my baby girl. I'll be rooting for you, Sage Rowan."

    When Felicia pulled back, she went to stand by her husband, giving the girls one last minute. They knew the Peacekeepers had given them limited time with each visitor and theirs was running out very soon. Sage turned back to the brunette, who now had her arms crossed and a forced serious expression on her face. "If you die, I will never forgive you. So come home."

    "This place has never been my home, Adrian. I don't have a home anywhere." Sage stated the sad truth. She has been an outcast in this District her whole life. She has never felt like she belonged here, not even with Hyacinth.

    Adrian shook her head. "You have a home with me. You'll always have a home with me."

    A Peacekeeper came in, telling them time was up. Adrian embraced Sage once more before leaving with her parents. Not even a second later, Hyacinth was being brought in with the help of Gladis, the latter stating she will wait outside. Once the doors closed, the silence fell on them and the two stared at one another, neither not knowing what to say to the other. After a few seconds went by, Sage figured she should start.

    "The Pine's offered to take you in. They promised to wait for you outside to take you back to the Dread and get your things."

    Hyacinth scoffed. "I do not need their charity."

    "Yes, you do. I won't be there anymore and you have no one to provide for you. You'll starve or get hurt if you do not accept their help. You've never opposed Adrian bringing us food before."

    "That's different. I've managed just fine before you came along, girl."

    "You've never been this sick before, Hyacinth."

    "I'm fine." Hyacinth practically yelled, stomping her cane on the floor loudly.

    Sage was not at all affected by her outburst and just crossed her arms over her chest. "Rusty's dead. He died last year. Do you remember that?"

    Hyacinth looked like she was slapped in the face, heartbreak taking over her expression. When she didn't respond, Sage continued. "That woman who brought you in here; what's her name?"

    Hyacinth opened her mouth to respond, but then closed it again. She looked immediately frustrated, just like she always does when she realizes she is losing her memory. When no response came, Sage gave another example. "How old was I when you took me in?"

    "Alright!" Hyacinth snapped, moving to take a seat at one of the couches. "You've made your damn point."

    Sage went to sit next to her on the couch, making sure to face her completely. Hyacinth reached out and grabbed one of her hands. "I want to be mad at you right now for doing something so foolish, but all I want is to hug you because this might be the last time I see you."

    "Don't get all mushy on me now, Hyacinth. You know that's not how we roll with each other. We tell each other to go fuck off and smile while doing it."

    Hyacinth's laugh was just what Sage needed, the redhead joining the older woman. When they settled down, Hyacinth reached out and brushed the strains of hair that fell out of her braid behind her ear, smiling sadly. "My memory might be going, and I might not remember how old you were, but I do remember the day I saw you. Covered in dirt and grim, like you hadn't bathed in months, sneaking off to hunt and selling rabbits and squirrels in the black market. I didn't know what happened to you, or who you were at the time, but all I saw was a scared kid who needed help even though she didn't want any. You reminded me a lot of myself, not wanting any help from anyone."

    Sage couldn't help but chuckle once. "I guess that's why we work so well, huh?"

    "Work? Honey, I'm surprised we never killed each other."

    Sage chuckled again, shaking her head. She then squeezed the older woman's hand tightly, knowing time was running out. "Hyacinth, I just want to thank you for taking me in. You saved me. I know I don't say it enough, but you are important to me."

    "Oh, honey. It was you who saved me. You are so strong and so smart. I know you can win these games. You have a knack for survival and that freaky brain of yours. Use it!"

    The Peacekeeper opened the door and Gladis came in again. Sage took this opportunity to embrace Hyacinth, saying goodbye to the only mother figure she has had in her life. Sage knew she wasn't making it home. She just didn't have the heart to tell her that even if she did have a chance at winning, she wasn't going to try.

    This is the last time she will ever step foot in District 9 again. It was such a bittersweet feeling.

____________________________

Well, Sage just signed her death certificate... or did she? Haha sorry I get weird when I'm excited!

Hope everyone loved this chapter! Please give feedback, always love hearing what you guys thought 💕

Ps... yes I know volunteers are asked after both the male and female are picked from the bowls... but I liked my way better.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

414K 8.6K 112
โ€ข pre-hunger games -> post-mockingjay pt 2 โ€ข Finnick Odair X female OC โ€ขI edit as I post the chapters (if I can be bothered) A story in which two...
215K 6.5K 32
โ› HOPE ISN'T SOMETHING GIFTED TO YOU IT'S SOMETHING YOU ACHIEVE. โœ in which a small girl from district ten must protect...
437K 15.4K 22
โif a victor is considered desirable, the president gives them as a reward or allows other people to buy them for an exorbitant amount of money. if y...
608K 10.8K 77
๐›๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž /broอžot/ 1. a savagely violent person or animal. "๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘  ๐‘Ž ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘‘๏ผ๐‘๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘‘๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘ข๐‘ก๐‘’" Hunger games - finished - 3/4/22 Cat...