ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR |...

By _TINY_human_boy_

Summoned to come to the rescue of her dearest friends she didn't think she would ever again see the face of o... More

Intro
Epigraph
1
3

2

73 4 0
By _TINY_human_boy_

Two | Heart Struck

The lady's point of view.

Riding had always cleared my mind, Edward was worried with the possibility of an up coming war yet he would never hand over Uhtred, he knew if there was to be one that he played a large part in bringing victory to Wessex; he was only a newer king and the pressures were taking an obvious toll on the young man mentally fighting to be as great as his father before him.
Aldhelm had accompanied me, persistent that it was for my safety. When we arrived back in the safe walls of Winchester, he was even more persistent in helping me off my horse.
It was clear he was raised as a strict gentleman, it's why he seemed to keep his obvious feelings for Athelflaed a secret; one he would take to the grave.
The stable was only a short distance from the palace and in between it stood the ever infamous ale house that a majority of our soldiers reside in instead of their own homes.
It felt like I summoned a spirit for when I thought about it I heard the all too familiar voice of Osferth; the closest thing I'd come to know as a brother, he approached me slowly as if almost not sure if he recognised me either.

"It is you, oh how I've missed you"

Osferth knew his place and because of that he stood calmly infront of me but I did not care, I embraced him warmly,

"No longer a baby monk, a soldier it would seem?"

He chuckled lowly and almost dryly;

"Yes yes, I serve Uhtred now, my lady"

I should not have been surprised but I was, it seemed men flocked to be by his side even to this day.

"Join us for a drink then! It has been so long!"

Aldhelm looked at me, doubt present in his demeanour.
"Return to your lady my friend, I will be absolutely fine in this company"

A cautious nod as he watched me take a seat next to Osferth at one of the smaller tables out the front of the establishment, a mug of ale was poured for me and with that he left rather quickly, not even a minute after Sihtric and Finan emerged from inside, his arm wrapped around one of the whores that occupied the building, he was laughing ever so carelessly and I'm sure he would have continued if he hadn't locked eyes with my smirking face.

"Enjoying the establishments finer entertainment I see"

Uhtred let out a loud laugh from beside Osferth and before I could even blink again Finan had removed his arm from the woman and almost shoved her away from him like she was now infected with the plague.

"Only because ya' weren't here to grace us with your presence prior my lady"

He sat directly across from me, eyes never leaving mine.

"I surely doubt that, for my presence, no matter how great will not lead to fornication"

Taking a sip of my ale, Finan coughed his down and the other men laughed together this time.
Ale and women, a soldiers favourite things.

Between laughter Sihtric smacked Finans shoulder "I've never heard a noble woman speak the way she does"

Now, he was a real Dane, he had known no other life than that and serving Uhtred, you could see it in the way he smudged charcoal under his eyes and the way his hair was plaited.

"Ahh yes, few find it amusing as I'm regularly told my foul mouth will not see me married, although I'm glad you all seem to enjoy it."

|

But this lady had already been married and she did not wish to just marry any random lord who wished to change the very things about her that her late husband so dearly appreciated.. she was honest and brave and not afraid to speak her mind, no matter the words she used, it was partially why she held such huge favour with the new king.

|

"So my lady, does that mean you are not otherwise engaged"

Uhtred sat at the head of the table now, he had fought in battle with her husband.. she knew that but it seems her shared last name was not processing in the mind of the lord.

Osferth let out a small grunt, trying to signal his lord before he looked at me and then to the table.

"I was, he was mortally wounded in battle my lord"

Any previous light hearted humour had left the table and Uhtred apologised for even asking his question. No one ever seemed to consider that I had already been married. I was young.. I looked even younger in the face compared to other women my age, my late husband always said it was my large dark eyes, they looked that of an innocent child; I never doubted him as his opinions always seemed so very true.

Taking another sip of ale in an attempt to break some tension, Finan now trying to shoo away another whore who had made herself comfortable on his side.

"It seems you're a fan favourite around here"

He looked flustered,
"Not by choice my lady"

As if he doesn't lap up the glory of women throwing themselves at him, he knew he was attractive, he showed it with that smirk and the brave verbalisation with company,

"I doubt that, surely you enjoy the company of these fine women in this fine establishment where I'm sure you all stay when visiting Winchester"

There was a tension at the table as I waved over the building and it's few other patrons stumbling around,

"I would rather stay in what I'm sure are your fine rooms in your fine bed with yourself, finer than most of the women that reside here in Wessex" 

I love brave men, men who are also easily broken with flattery or fluster; he was most definitely one of these men.
Leaning over the table closer to his face, catching everyone's attention now;

"I'm sure my fine rooms and my fine bed would be superior to the ones here and maybe, just maybe if I was as interested in seeing what was under your clothes as you are in mine, we could make that work.. it's a real shame for yourself only that I am not."

I loved to be the tease, I played the game so well and I always won,
He swallowed hard and I could see his Adam's apple in his throat, with that I stood, gulping down the last of my ale and saying goodbye;
I wished them a goodnight, tightly hugging Osferth again before making my way back to the palace.

However it did not take long for Finan to catch up to me,

"What, I don't get a hug goodbye also"

"If I'm correct Finan, you want more than a hug from me"

I turned to face him walking backwards, my hands together behind my back.

"Say that again, I like the way ya' say that"

"Pardon?"

"My name, I like how it sounds when ya' say it"

A genuine smile replaced my smirk this time,

"Finan"

He clutched his hands over is chest and played near fainting, I couldn't help the small laugh that escaped me.
I hadn't planned to stay in Winchester long but my trip may just be extended if the company stayed this good.

1243 words | A/N

I hope anyone that reads this does somewhat enjoy it and again if I can change anything to be better I'm happy to accept the criticism as long as it isn't too harsh..

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

561K 8.6K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
1.1M 30K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
197K 4.2K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
60.6K 1.2K 46
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A PR relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando Nor...