Azmaish-e-Ishq

By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer Qureshi and Salaar Riaz have been best friends and next-door neighbors since they were in diapers. Life... More

Aesthetics
Ch. 1: Blue Butterfly Latte
Ch. 2: Honey Macchiato
Ch. 3: Fall Equinox Formal
Ch. 4: The Scammer
Ch. 5: Secrets and Dates
Ch. 6: Cinnamon Brewn
Ch. 7: Snickerdoodles
Ch. 8: Friendsgiving
Ch. 9: I Love You(s)
Ch. 10: Wounds
Ch. 11: Double Date
Ch. 12: The Photo Wall
Ch. 13: Home Decorating
Ch. 14: Wedding Bells
Ch. 15: The Vanishing Act
Ch. 16: Nikkah
Ch. 17: The Red Ghost
Ch. 18: The Grand Affair
Ch. 19: The Paper Balls
Ch. 20: An Unwanted Visitor
Ch. 21: Confrontations
Ch. 22: Chai & Kebabs
Ch. 23: The Husband Card
Ch. 24: Jenga
Ch. 25: Healing Isn't Linear
Ch. 26: First Date
Ch. 27: Unfinished Business
Ch. 28: Jealousy
Ch. 30: BBQ
Ch. 31: Kashmiri Chai
Ch. 32: Frog Becomes a Prince
Ch. 33: Stargazing
Ch. 34: Treehouse
Ch. 35: Kiss of Death
Ch. 36: Beauty and the Beast
Ch. 37: The Pond
Ch. 38: The Envelope
Epilogue

Ch. 29: Rihan

443 17 9
By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer's P.O.V.

It felt like the entire world had shifted when I affirmed my feelings for Salaar.

"Heer-" Kamran shook his head like he didn't want to believe his ears.

"Yes," I whispered, confirming.

I like Salaar. I like like Salaar.

This was so new to me.

Tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

"What we had, it's over now. We can never go back to it, Kamran. And I don't want to. I'm sorry," I spoke softly, "I want to focus on him and my marriage."

Despite all he's done, I was trying to be gentle. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings.

His lips parted, but he couldn't say anything.

"Aur rahi baat maafi ke, mere Baba ko lekar jo bhi ghalat fehmiyaan hai, jo bhi nafrat hai, jo bhi giley shikhwein hai, sab door karo. Baat karo unse, tumhare rishtedaaron se, maazi ke sach ke talaash karo. Main aaj bhi maanti hoon ke jaise tum sochte ho unn ke baare mein, waise nahin hai mere Baba. Unn ke liye, aur apne aap ke liye—azaad kardo khud ko beete hue kal ke bairiyon se. Jab tumhare dil se saare karvahat nikaal doge, maazi ke dard, uske bojh ko chhod doge, umeedi ka intekhab karoge, samajhna maine tumhe maaf kardiya."
(And about forgiveness, whatever misunderstands, hatred, complaints you have regarding my Baba, get rid of them. Talk to him, to your relatives, search for the truth of the past. I still believe that what you think of my Baba is not how he is. For him, for you—free yourself from the shackles of the past. When you will empty your heart of all bitterness, pain of the past, when you let go of the burden of it, when you will choose hope, understand that I have forgiven you.)

He stared at me while tears raced down his cheeks.

"Excuse me." I took off my apron and hung it on the hook before peeking my head into the kitchen, "Clara, I need you to handle the front. I have to go home now."

Kamran watched as I walked past him. I paused to offer him a small reassuring smile.

Salaar's P.O.V.

I stopped the treadmill and wiped my sweat with a hand towel before sitting down with my phone and staring at my butterfly's contact.

I couldn't remember the last time we went more than 24 hours without having a proper conversation.

I don't know why she didn't want to see me, why she wouldn't let me see her eyes, why she was acting like that, but it made me feel bad. What had I done that she was depriving me of her glance? I won't be able to be near her for two weeks, and she knew that, yet she still took away from the remaining time I had left with her. I miss her to no end when she's gone. Was she that unaware of how her gaze brings life to my heart?

I took a deep breath and pressed on the call icon. Hopefully she will want to speak to me and we can FaceTime so I could see her.

Heer's P.O.V.

As soon as I got home, I went up to my room and sat on the bed with my phone.

I just wanted to talk to Salaar, to hear him and speak to him. I hope he will answer and is not upset with me anymore.

I pressed on the call button, holding my breath as I waited for him to pick up.

Salaar's P.O.V.

The call went straight to voicemail. Did she reject my call?

Heer's P.O.V.

The call went straight to voicemail. Did he reject my call?

Let me try again. Maybe it's the signal.

My finger tapped the button again.

Salaar's P.O.V.

Could be a glitch. I'll call again.

As I held the phone to my ear, it went to voicemail again.

My eyebrows furrowed with frustration. Why was she doing this?

After I finished up my workout, I went to our flat and showered. I was in the middle of figuring out what to eat when Ami called.

"Assalamwalikum, Ami."

"Walaikumsalam, meri jaan. Kya haal hai mere bete ka? Din kaisa guzra tumhara?"
(How is my son? How did your day go?)

"Thik hoon main aur din bhi thik tha," I attempted to restrain my irritation to myself, "Aap ka?"
(I'm fine and the day was fine too. Yours?)

"Mera bhi. Halima aur maine mall se kuch kharidaari ki. Heer aayi huwi hai, lekin abhi tak mili nahin usse. Aaj baat hua hai kya tumhara usse?"
(Mine too. Halima and I did some shopping from the mall. Heer is here, but I haven't met her yet. Have you spoken to her today?)

"Nahin," I grumbled.
(No.)

"Kyun?!"
(Why?!)

"Aap ke laadli se aap khud puchein."
(Ask your darling yourself.)

Heer's P.O.V.

"Bebeğim? Girebilir miyim?" I heard through the door.
(My baby? Can I enter?)

I was wrapped in my blanket cocoon, my eyebrows pulled together with annoyance. Itna kya gussa ke phone bhi nahin utha raha?
(He was that mad that he's not answering the phone?)

"Evet, Anne."

She came in and walked over, sitting on the bed next to me. "When did you come from Hayat, canım? I thought you were working till closing?"

"I came early."

Her head tilted slightly at my vague response. "Oh, alright. Well, Aiza and I went shopping today! Aiza bought the cutest dress for you and I got this really nice shirt for Salaar. He can wear it to work and when he goes out with his friends."

Friends. I was his best friend and wife. Yet he didn't want to talk to me.

I pouted.

"Ne oldu?"
(What happened?)

Why couldn't he telepathically just know what's in my head?

"Hiçbir şey."
(Nothing.)

"Hmm. What's Salaar doing? Is he at home?"

"Pata nahin," my eyebrows furrowed, "Aap ke laadla se aap khud puchein."
(I don't know. Ask your darling yourself.)

Salaar's P.O.V.

"Yeh kya baat hai, Salaar?! Woh yahan itni door se aayi hai, aur tum uski khabar tak nahin le rahe ho? Meri bachchi ko mayoos karne ka iraada hai kya? Ussey lag rahi hogi ke Salaar ne mujhe bhul gaya hai!"
(What is this, Salaar?! She's come here from so far, and you're not even asking her how she is? Are you intending to make my child sad? She must be thinking that Salaar forgot me!)

"Mera phone nahin utha rahi hai woh. Agar ussey mujhse baat nahin karni hai, toh main kya kar sakta hoon, Ami?"
(She's not answering my call. What can I do if she doesn't want to talk to me, Ami?)

"Zaroor tumne kuch kiya hoga! Varna woh aisey tumse baat kiye beghair reh hi nahin sakti."
(You must have definitely done something! Otherwise, she can't stay without talking to you.)

"Maine kuch nahin kiya, Ami. Heer ko pata nahin kya hua hai. Aur aap kabhi meri bhi tarafdari karein! Hamesha ussi ki haqq mein baat karte hai aap."
(I didn't do anything, Ami. I don't know what happened to Heer. Also, you should support me sometimes! You always speak in her favor.)

"Wah, bhai, wah. Bade davein karta tha pyaar ke, aur ek jhagda hua shayad ya pata nahin kya, aur biwi ko pechante hi nahin ho. Aise tarbiyat diya hai kya humne tumhe, Salaar?!"
(Amazing. You used to make such claims of love, and one argument happened or who knows what, and you don't recognize your wife anymore. Is this how we raised you, Salaar?!)

"Ami!" I whined.

"Jao, usse phir phone karo. Main kuch nahin sunna chahti. Rakh rahi hoon main phone. Bye." The call ended with a loud beep.
(Go, call her again. I don't want to hear anything. I'm hanging up the phone. Bye.)

I sighed, pulling up my wife's contact yet again. Main kahan usse baat karke beghair reh sakta hoon, Ami?
(Where am I able to stay without talking to her, Ami?)

Heer's P.O.V.

"Kya matlab?! Ussey tum itne door chhod aayi ho, aur khabar bhi nahin rakh rahi ho?"
(Meaning?! You left him so far away, and you're not keeping up to date with him?)

"Anne-"

"Aise rishte mein daraar aa jaate hain. Pehle hi main tumhara do hafte yahan do hafte wahan se na-sehmat thi aur ab tum uske haal chaal bhi nahin puch rahi ho?! Bilqul tanha hai mera beta wahan. Tumhara farz banta hai janne ka ke woh thik hai ya nahin."
(Gaps come into relationships like this. Before, I wasn't in agreeance with your two weeks here two weeks there, and now you're not even asking how he's doing?! My son is absolutely lonely over there. It's your duty to know if he is okay or not.)

"An-"

"Pehle bhi samjha chuka hoon ke woh ab tumhara shohar hai, uske jazbaaton ka khayal rakhna hai. Jab bhi tum yahan aati ho, woh hamesha tumhe phone karta hai puchne ke liye tumne kuch khaya hai aur tumhare din ke baare mein janne ke liye-"
(I've explained this to you before that he is your husband now, you have to be mindful of his feelings. Whenever you come here, he always calls to ask if you've eaten and to know about your day-)

I sat up and dialed his number again, only for it to go to voicemail yet again, "Yeh dekhein! Agar mujhse baat hi nahin karna chahta toh main kaise haal puch sakti hoon?!"
(Look at this! If he doesn't even want to talk to me, how can I ask how is he doing?!)

"Zaroor tumne usko tang karke ghussa dilaya hai warna mere bete mein bohat sabr hai."
(You must have definitely annoyed him till he got angry, otherwise my son is very patient.)

That was something even I couldn't deny.

I laid back down with a 'hmmph.'

"Heer," she folded her arms, "what did you do?"

"Anne!" I exclaimed.

"Jo bhi kiya ho, ussey manao."
(Whatever you've done, pacify him.)

"Kaise manao jab woh phone nahin utha raha hai?"
(How can I pacify him when he's not answering the phone?)

She lifted an eyebrow, shrugging. "I think you know better than me in this regard, dear."

So I did what I thought Salaar would do if he had been in the wrong. He would come to Manchester to pacify me, so I went to London to make up with him the next day.

It was just about five when I reached, which meant Salaar would be home from work very soon. I'd taken my car instead of the train because I wasn't sure when I would go back.

After I finished freshening up, it was past 5:40 PM. He should've been home.

I sat on the sofa and switched on the TV. Maybe he's buying dinner.

6:05.

Where was he?

Should I text him? We hadn't messaged since before I tried calling him yesterday.

"Hi. Are you home?" Sent. I want my visit to be a surprise, so I have to act like I don't know. Should I follow it up with a frog emoji to lighten things? No. Maybe that would annoy him even more.

6:28. "No, I'm out at a meeting."

Out at a meeting? This late? He never works this late. That too, out of the office.

"When are you going home?"

7:02 and no response.

I sighed exasperatedly. Was he that occupied in the meeting that he couldn't respond?

My finger itched to check his location. I had it ever since I picked him up from work when he cut his hand because the pick-up area was different from where he'd instructed me to drop him off in the morning. Maybe I could meet him outside of the restaurant; it must be a dinner meeting given it's so late.

I caved and tapped around for his address, only for my jaw to drop. I rubbed my eyes before blinking a few times to make sure I was seeing correctly. Salaar Riaz was at a club. And not just any club, but one of the most popular clubs in London.

He told me he was out for work- who was he even with?!

I pushed myself up from the sofa and went over to our closet, muttering to myself. It was Monday night. What on earth was he doing there? He's never gone to a club as far as I know. Growing up, we've done secretive things like skip class together and go for a movie, but this! My Froggie had some extreme explaining to do.

An exasperated huff left my lips as I could just imagine the girls swarming around him. A man like him at a club- I just- he—UGH!

My eyes fell on my black fitted midi dress. I quickly changed into it then stroked some eyeliner along my lash line, following it with a sweep of light pink nude lipstick against my lips.

After finding some parking, I joined the long queue for the club. I'd never imagined today to end like this with me, in line, for a club! Everyone in line were either passing around a cigarette or taking swigs of drinks they kept hidden in their jacket pockets.

My phone buzzed, "I'm not sure yet."

It was nearing 8:15. He now found the time to respond!

"Name?" the bouncer with the clipboard asked when I got to the front of the queue.

Oh no.

I gulped. "I-I'm with someone. They're inside. Salaar Riaz."

He flipped through the sheet, pausing when he evidently found the name. Oh gosh, he really was here.

"I was meant to join him earlier, but I, uh, I'm late."

"What's taking so long?!" a girl behind me slurred.

"Just let her in," the bouncer's coworker suggested, to which he nodded.

I took a deep breath, bracing myself as I stepped into the dark room pumping with loud music and people dancing.

How was I supposed to find him like this?!

The club seemed quite posh with its sleek standing black tables surrounding the dance floor, glass staircase leading up to a private second floor with a contemporary chandelier hanging overhead, and a bar with transparent stools and countertop.

I made my way through the sea of people to the stairs. Maybe I'd be able to spot him from an elevated level, but I doubted it.

Just as I reached the foot of the stairs, a feminine voice nearby reached my ears over the music. "Well, I'm going to try my luck, girls. Let's see what happens," the woman said to her two friends, her eyes on a man sitting at the bar.

Her companions giggled in response.

My gaze followed hers, and my heart skipped a beat. Salaar.

Oh no she didn't!

I quickly went after her as she began walking off, placing my hand on her arm to stop her. She turned around and lifted an eyebrow at me.

"Hi," I swallowed, "I, uh, couldn't help but overhear your conversation. That man- I, um, he's married."

Her head tilted as she studied him, "I don't see a wedding ring."

My lips parted.

We'd gotten married in such circumstances that we didn't have them. "M-maybe he's just forgotten it at home," I stammered unconvincingly.

She shrugged, giving me a smirk, "Even if he has, he's allowed to have some fun, right?" She turned around and continued over to him, leaving me to gasp at her words.

I watched as he turned his attention away from the bartender to the woman when she took the empty seat next to him and began speaking.

"Excuse me," I pushed through several dancing people, "Pardon me. Sorry. Just need to get through. Sorry."

"Wanna dance, babes?" a blonde man offered, bobbing to the song while reaching out to me.

I shook my head quickly before maneuvering through the rest of the crowd as fast as I could.

The woman's gaze lifted over Salaar's shoulder to me. He followed her eyes, his own growing large.

"Can I help you?" the woman asked irritatedly.

"Heer?!" Salaar took my name incredulously, standing up immediately.

I looked at the woman then at Salaar then back at the woman, "What has this man told you? Huh? That his name is Salaar? That's what he tells everyone. His real name is Rihan!" I pushed my stomach as far as it would go, placing my hand on it as I turned to show my side profile, "I'm three months pregnant with his child, yet he refuses to take any responsibility. Don't fall for this man's words. He doesn't even have a job!"

Salaar stared at me agape while the woman stood up.

"Oh. Sorry, I didn't know," she mumbled before scurrying away.

I turned to Salaar, grabbing his wrist with a scowl, "Baahir chalo issi waqt. Baat karni hai mujhe tumse."
(Come outside right now. I have to talk to you.)

"Heer-"

I tugged him to the nearest exit, and we found ourselves stood face to face in the club parking lot. His eyes were filled with a mixture of shock, amusement, and confusion.

"What are you doing here?"

I poked a finger into his chest, "What are you doing here?!"

"I told you I was at a meeting."

I folded my arms, "At a club?"

"Yes," he stated like it was obvious. "What are you doing here? Did you drive here?"

Stop being angry at me. Let's clarify everything and move on. I miss you and your hugs. Give me a hug and make me forget everything. I hate being upset at you, and I hate you being upset at me.

"Hum thik se baat nahin kar rahe the," I said softly.
(We haven't been speaking properly.)

His eyes softened, "Aur tum yahan aa gayi mujhse baat karne?"
(And you came here to talk to me?)

"Tumse baat karke beghair toh reh bhi nahin pati," I pouted.
(I can't even stay without talking to you.)

He reached for my arms, pulling me close, "Mujhe manane ke liye aayi ho?"
(You've come to pacify me?)

"Maine tumhe naraaz kiya. Itna khafa ho gaye tum ke mera phone bhi nahin utha rahe the," my eyes watered against my will as I added with a whisper, "Mujhe gale tak nahin lagaya main jab jaa rahi thi."
(I made you angry. You became so upset that you weren't even answering my calls... You didn't even hug me when I was leaving.)

He hugged me right then. "I'm sorry, sweetheart," he murmured against my hair, pecking my head. "You called me? I didn't get any of your calls. I called you too, but-"

"When?"

"Yesterday evening. Three times."

We chuckled when we realized we had been calling each other at the same time after I told him I'd done the same.

I looked up at him as my orbs grew solemn, "But I'm sorry."

He kept an arm around my waist as he cradled my cheek, "I'm sorry too. Tell me what I did because of which you didn't even want to look at m-"

"You didn't do anything. I promise. I was just being weird and I- can we please forget it about it?"

He searched my eyes, inhaling deeply.

"Please?"

"If you-"

"I won't."

His thumb stroked under my eye, "Mera sukoon hai tumhari aankhein. Mere dil ko dhadkan aati inn ko dekh ke."
(Your eyes are my peace. My heart gets its heartbeat from them.)

I embraced him again tightly, wrapping my arms around his neck. Oh, how I missed this and him.

Suddenly, I remembered the woman trying to flirt with him.

My arms fell to my sides as I moved away from him, "What are you doing here?"

He took my hand, "I told you I was here for a meeting, love."

His forehead creased as I tried to pull my hand away, "Meeting where you were chatting it up with that girl?"

"No- What? I don't even know her," I attempted to ignore the goosebumps that traveled down my skin as he drew me closer by the waist, "She came up to me and started introducing herself. I was here for a meeting with the team."

"What kind of meeting takes place in a club?!"

"We just finished. It was held upstairs in their private meeting room. The club owner wants to open a fine dining restaurant and he wants Ascension to design the building. This was the only place and time he was available. After we finished discussing, Mr. Wilmore told us we could enjoy ourselves. I was heading home, but he asked me to stay to give him company while he ordered a drink. He went to the restroom and then that woman came up to me."

Oh.

My frame shrunk.

"How did you know I was here?!"

"I," I cleared my throat sheepishly, "checked your location because-"

He lifted his eyebrows, "You checked my location."

"Yes, becau-"

"What happened to you being a girlfriend who would never check her boyfriend's phone because you trust-"

"I'm not your girlfriend. Biwi hoon main tumhari!"
(... I'm your wife!)

A smile erupted on his lips at the proclamation. "So, that type of trust only applies between girlfriend and boyfriends?"

"No. You weren't coming home and I was tired of waiting, so I thought I would wait for you wherever you were and it turned out you were at a club and I-"

He chuckled. "Aur woh kya tha?"
(And what was that?)

"Kya?"
(What?)

"Andar."
(Inside.)

"Oh. That... She wasn't listening! I tried stopping her from going to you. I told her you were married, but she didn't care! It was all that I could think of to get her away from you."

He burst into laughter.

"It's not funny," I pouted.

He caressed my stomach, trying to stifle his laughs, "Don't worry, Baba has a job and he loves you. He's not going anywhere."

I swatted his hand away, "Hey! Shut up!"

"Don't be upset, love, I've come back for you and our baby," he teased, reaching out for me. "Don't deprive me of our child. I'll stay this time."

"Salaar! You're so mean," I told him as his laughs vibrated against me while he drew his arms around me firmly. "Baat hi nahin karni hai mujhe tumse. Tumhe farak hi nahin padta. I'll leave you and go dance with that guy inside. Maybe he won't be this mean."
(I don't even want to talk to you. You don't even care...)

That got him. He grew serious immediately, "Which guy?"

I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Tell me who it was. Did he touch you? I'll beat his a*s-"

Now it was my turn to laugh.

"Heer, I'm not joking."

"Neither am I. He was cute too." I didn't even remember his face, actually.

He jerked me towards him, his hand on my lower back. "Really?"

His golden eyes burned with envy as they searched mine. Yet, I couldn't help but fill with peace as I stared up at the orbs I'd been afraid to look at in case I wouldn't be able to stop. I could feel my insides slowly melting as I gazed at his eyes. The possessiveness, the love, the concern—he was all mine.

I shook my head slowly with a small smile, looking up at him admiringly.

A smile grew on his lips, his eyes softening. "That's how it should be."

I giggled softly. My hand placed itself on the back of his head as he leaned down to kiss my cheek, savoring the love he was showering upon me.

"Did you bring your car?"

I nodded.

"Go home, love. I'll meet you there. I'll say goodbye to Mr. Wilmore."

"I'll come with you," I stated immediately.

Let him loose in the club again? No thanks.

"Heer-"

"C'mon," I intertwined our fingers, leading him back inside.

He wrapped an arm around me protectively, leading the way with his other arm extended in front of us like he was my bodyguard.

"There you are, Salaar. I was afraid you'd left without informing me," the old man chuckled when we finally got to the bar.

"My apologies, Mr. Wilmore. This is my wife, Heer. Heer, this is Mr. Wilmore."

"Nice to meet you," I smiled politely.

"Ah, it's nice to put a face to the one this young man gets shy speaking about. Likewise, dear. I thought you were in Manchester?"

It seemed like he knew about the two-week arrangement.

And shy? That's so cute.

"She came to surprise me," Salaar smiled, "We were speaking outside. If you don't mind, sir, I'll see you tomorrow at the office?"

"Of course," he nodded.

We exchanged smiles then turned around when we heard him speak up again, "Ah! Salaar, wait."

We paused, facing him.

"I'm attending a dinner convention Friday night. I would like to have a representative from the company to attend as well. Victor will be out of town, so I was wondering if you would like to join me. Heer is more than welcome to come with you."

Salaar looked down at me, and I nodded reassuringly. This would give me the excuse to stay until the weekend.

He gave my hand a squeeze, "We would love to go. Thank you, Mr. Wilmore."

"Thank you, Salaar. You too, dear. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," we both returned.

When Friday morning rolled around, I felt sore and utterly tired.

My arms were around Salaar's shoulders, my face buried in his neck when he reached out and turned off the alarm.

"Love," he rubbed my back groggily. "I need to get up."

"Mm, just a few more minutes," I mumbled with my eyes closed.

Just before I fell asleep again, I felt him peck my temple and slip away from under me. I let out a quiet whine while he tucked me in. It felt like I'd only slept three hours.

When I woke up, it was nearing lunch time and he was long gone to work. I felt bad that I hadn't seen him off or prepared his breakfast, which I like to do when I'm in town.

My phone rang after I slumped down onto the stool in front of the dresser.

"You alright, baby?"

"I'm fine. Did you eat yet?"

"I'm having my lunch now. I'll pick you up straight after work and we'll go to the convention."

I wasn't feeling up to going anymore. I had no energy. But I couldn't let him down. "Sounds good."

"See you then, sweetheart. Have you eaten?"

I met him downstairs in the parking lot, donning a light pink formal dress and heels. He got out of the car and greeted me with a hug and kiss to the cheek. "You look beautiful, love."

"Thank you," I smiled.

He opened the door for me and off we went to the convention.

There were over a 120 people mingling around when we reached. Salaar's hand found mine and he led me to the table Mr. Wilmore was sat at.

"This is Salaar Riaz and his wife Heer. Salaar's my star employee," Mr. Wilmore introduced then whispered to the rest, "Don't tell Victor Ventura."

We laughed. After everyone chatted for a bit, the three of us got up and went to a crowded corner. I kept quiet as the men networked, still holding Salaar's hand. Suddenly, my face twinged with pain. I felt a strong cramp in my stomach.

What day was it?

I didn't realize I'd subconsciously squeezed Salaar's hand until he looked at me, his features morphing with concern, whispering, "What's wrong, love?"

I shook my head, pushing a smile to my lips.

He returned the smile and retreated his hand, placing it on my waist. I leaned against him. A few minutes later, I nearly doubled over when I felt another piercing cramp.

I should go to the restroom and put on a pad before it starts.

"I'll be back from the restroom," I informed Salaar quietly.

He nodded and went back to the conversation.

Salaar's P.O.V.

Mr. Wilmore and I moved across the room when it occurred to me that Heer had been gone for a while. My eyes searched for her face amongst the large crowd.

I finally spotted her in the doorway of the corridor leading to the restrooms. She was standing close to the wall. It appeared as though she was also looking for me. Her hesitant expression conveyed there was something troubling her. I excused myself and made my way towards her.

"Is everything alright?" I asked her gently, searching her eyes.

She shook her head and gazed at me vulnerably.

"What's wrong?"

"I started my period... I bled through my dress in the back," she spoke softly, her cheeks flushing as she stared at her shoes.

She was embarrassed, but there was no reason for her to be. It happens.

"That's okay," I told her while shrugging off my blazer.

She watched me as I leaned over her shoulder and tied it around her waist, covering the red stain.

"Do you have a pad or should I ask if one of the ladi-"

She touched the grey fabric, "Salaar, your blazer-"

"It's fine. Do you-"

"Yes. I had one. I went to the restroom, but it was too late. I didn't realize it had started."

I nodded understandingly, "Are you feeling alright?"

She nodded, forcing a small closed-mouth smile, but I knew she was lying. I could tell by her mannerisms that she wasn't feeling well. She'd also been quieter than usual tonight. I should've realized sooner.

"Wait here. I'll go tell Mr. Wilmore that we're leaving."

"Salaar! You should stay here with-"

"We're going home, Heer."

She repeated my name while I went over to Mr. Wilmore.

"Already, Salaar?"

"Sorry about that, but something came up. I hope you enjoy the rest of the night."

"I understand. Thank you. I'll see you on Monday. You and your missus have a great rest of the weekend," he patted my shoulder with a smile before someone engaged him in conversation.

I returned to Heer and gently led her to the car. I felt her watching me with soft eyes during the car ride. When we got to our flat, I guided her to our bedroom. She stood in the doorway while I opened the dresser and took out her favorite light pink fuzzy pjs and a fresh pair of underwear.

I led her to the bathroom by the hand, "Go change and give me your clothes. I'll throw them in the wash."

"But there's bl-"

I chuckled softly, "I think you're forgetting I grew up with a sister. I'm not grossed out by any of it, Heer. It's natural."

She gazed at my eyes with her own soft ones.

I noticed her forehead tense up subtly.

"Are you having cramps?"

She nodded before closing the door. I heard some rustling and then it cracked open slightly a few minutes later. She stuck out her hand and gave me a pile of her clothes and my blazer before shutting the door again.

I put them in the washing machine and freshened up, changing into my own pjs while Heer took a shower. I then whipped up her favorite chicken, cheese, tomato, and spinach panini along with a hot water bottle pouch and a cuppa.

She stepped out of the bathroom while drying her head with a towel when she froze upon seeing me walk in with the food.

"Have them while they're still hot," I set them down on the side table then pulled up the comforter on her side of the bed.

She sat down and I handed her the plate.

"Where's yours?"

"In the kitchen."

"I'll wait for you."

"Alright," I passed her the hot water bottle pouch and she placed it against her lower stomach, "Pick something to watch on the laptop."

She nodded.

We sat side by side and ate our sandwiches while watching the latest movie that'd released. I briefly got up to wash the dishes.

Heer turned her head towards me when I returned, murmuring, "Thank you, Sally."

Sally... it had been ages since she called me that. I used to hate it, but now I don't remember when I grew to love it nor had I realized how much I missed hearing it.

"You're welcome," I smiled, "Get comfortable. Why are you still sitting?" I helped her lay down and positioned the pouch to her stomach then reclined next to her.

She rested her free arm over my waist, placing her head on my shoulder. We resumed watching when I felt her study my face.

She moved closer and pressed her lips to my cheek in a slow kiss, and it was like the world had stopped for a brief moment.

Heer's heart softening towards me, her affection—I'd long seen this dream. And I thank the Almighty for letting it come to fruition.

I looked at her with warm eyes, a smile tugging on my lips. I pulled her closer and cuddled her to me.

Those three words, and I'll probably lose touch with reality.

Heer's P.O.V.

I'd stayed another week until my menses were over at Salaar's behest, and he took care of me like a baby.

It was the first Tuesday of July. I've been in Manchester for four days now and would remain for two weeks, given I'd nearly been in London for four weeks minus that one day I came back in between before I left again to patch up with Salaar. I was now getting ready for the night shift at Hayat.

I wrapped my hijab around my head and then spread my prayer mat in front of me. After I prayed Asr, I sat there and made supplications when I broke down into tears.

I didn't think I would be happy again, but I was happier than I'd ever been. I cried and cried, apologizing to my Lord for getting so immersed in my pain and losing sight of hope that I attempted to end everything. I thanked Him profusely for saving me, for letting me turn back to Him. I thanked Him for fixing things between me and all my loved ones, and for the beginning I didn't know I would be most grateful for when I thought everything was over—Salaar. I thanked Him for guiding me and inspiring me to trust Him while making the decision to marry Salaar. I was eternally grateful.

It wasn't that busy at Hayat as we approached closing.

"Do you think two pumps of the mint syrup would be too much?" Haniya wondered, her hand on the pump. She was experimenting.

I folded my arms on the counter, "Mm, it might be a little too strong."

"You're right. I'll keep it at one." Her hand reached for the frother and inserted it in the silver vessel. The spiraled tip spun for a few seconds before coming to stop. Haniya pressed on the button several times until she came to the conclusion, "It needs new batteries."

"I forgot where they are... Hani, can you check the storage room? I'll check the kitchen meanwhile?"

"Sure."

I went into the kitchen and searched through drawers futilely before opening a tub on one of the racks.

I heard the doors open behind me.

"Did you find the batteries, Hani?" I asked, rummaging through it.

A pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist from behind me, soft lips pressing against my cheek. "Haniya nahin, Salaar. Hi baby."

I froze for a second before turning around excitedly, "Salaar!" I nearly jumped him, the way I engulfed him in a hug.

He chuckled, "Excited to see me, eh?"

I moved back slightly, still in his arms, and cupped his face, grinning, "Very! What are you doing here?!"

"Ami was sad I hadn't visited in months, so I asked Mr. Wilmore for a remote week."

I squealed with joy, hugging him again, making him laugh. I pecked his cheek, "I missed you."

He brushed some of my hair behind my ear, "I missed you more, love."

I grinned, gazing up at his gorgeous eyes.

He gave me a squeeze, looking at my lips, "One more."

I began happily leaning into press another kiss to his cheek when I noticed Haniya over his shoulder. She stared at us, mouth open, the frother and batteries in hand.

My arms slowly dropped to my sides as I stepped away.

Salaar looked at me confused until following my gaze. "Hey Haniya."

She swallowed roughly, "H-hi Salaar."

"How are you?"

"Fine. And you?" she cleared her throat, "I haven't seen you in a long time."

"Yeah. Busy with work," he smiled courteously, "You know how it is."

She nodded politely then faced me, "I found it."

"That's great. Salaar, do you want to try Haniya's drink? She was trying to come up with tomorrow's drink of the day."

"Sure. I'd love to."

She pushed a smile to her lips and left. I looked up at Salaar solemnly and he blinked reassuringly, rubbing my waist with his hand.

I followed him to the nearest round table. He took my hand under the table as Haniya sat down with our glasses. Salaar reached for a strawberry, mint, and mango drink, "Daniaal is coming to visit tomorrow. He's on summer holiday."

"Are his parents coming too?" Hani asked.

We all took a sip. "Yeah. This is really good, Haniya."

"It really is, Hani. Well done."

She grinned. "Thanks."

"What are you going to name it?" my partner in crime asked.

"Sunset Sip."

"Smart. It looks like a sunset," he inspected the glass.

"I like it," I added.

"Are you going to be working the morning shift tomorrow, Haniya?"

"I actually have the same night shift tomorrow."

"I see. What about you, love?" Haniya's eyes flew to my face, her expression faltering subtly at the word of endearment.

"I'll be here in the morning until Haniya gets here," I answered softly.

"Cool. I wanted to work remote from here."

"We should all do something since you're here and Daniaal's coming," Haniya proposed.

"That'd be fun," he responded. "We can plan something when he gets here."

I stood up, "It's past 10. Let me switch off the 'Open' sign." Haniya's gaze lowered to our hands, our intertwined hands lifting up past the tabletop since Salaar hadn't let go.

Haniya got up, speaking quietly, "Heer, actually, would you be able to close up on your own? I remembered I need to pick up something before the shop closes. I'll turn off the sign?"

"Oh. Sure. I'll see you tomorrow, Hani," I offered a small smile.

"Bye."

"Bye," Salaar and I echoed, watching her hang her apron on a hook and switch off the sign before exiting the café.

My shoulders slumped at her reaction. It saddens me to see her hurt.

Salaar tugged on my hand, making me sit down on his lap. He brought my hand to his lips comfortingly. "She will be alright, love. It's going to take her some time to get used to seeing us like this."

I nodded, changing the topic, "Have you met Ami and Abu?"

"I have. They want you to join us for dinner."

"Okay." I cradled his cheek and pressed a kiss to his other cheek.

Salaar was sat in the far corner of the café the following afternoon with his laptop.

The front door pushed open and entered my cousin-in-law. "Fresh outta Bristol, yours truly, Danny boy is here."

"My favorite Riaz!" I enthused teasingly, looking at Salaar. He glared at me before giving a nod to his cousin.

"In the flesh."

I plated a piece of a cheesecake on a plate and slid it over.

"Cheesecake?! It's like you knew I was visiting," he joked, grabbing a fork.

"I did," I giggled, "I made it especially for you."

"Thanks, Bhabi."
(Sister-in-law)

Bhabi. It was certainly different to hear.

"You're welcome."

"Is Haniya working today?"

"She's coming in soon."

He moaned after he took a bite, "It's amazing."

He lifted his plate and walked over to Salaar's table when a customer approached.

Salaar's P.O.V.

"Pops is going to make barbecue tonight with Chachu in the backyard. Heer's parents are coming too. See if Seher Api and Umair Bhai are down to come down."

I'd seen Daniaal when he arrived in the morning with his parents.

"Ami asked if Api could visit since you all are here, but she's busy," I answered, turning my head towards Heer, who was at the counter.

My cousin's gaze followed mine as my expression faltered. A tall, dark-haired bearded man stared at my wife with his lips parted.

"Would you like anything to drink?" she asked, slightly uncomfortable, "Or would you like to try our baked good of the day? We have New York style cheesecake."

"Sorry," he responded in a deep voice, complete with a thick French accent, "You're really pretty."

Heer's eyes flew to my face as my fists balled up.

"But yes. I'd like to try some cheesecake, mademoiselle."

Daniaal snickered. "Line mein lag jaa, beta."
(Get in line, son.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 323 43
"Wait a second. What the hell are you doing here?" She said when she realized who he is and he smiled. "Well.." He turned to me with a smile. "I ca...
166K 16.8K 101
Once upon a time, An eighteen years old girl was in love with a boy, she use to pray for him... Crying in Sujood and beg Allah to make that easy for...
609K 32.3K 54
๐Ÿ’žWinner of Infinity Awards 2018๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿ’ž Assalamualaikum and hii everyone thanks for choosing my book to read. hey don't worry I'm not going to bore you...
165K 14.1K 34
Love,a magnamous four lettered word that can provoke joy, happiness yet it has the the power to incite destruction and chaos. Why is it always linked...