How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~

1K 57 9
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 14: 

Where She Lives a Little With Him

~~**~~

|Fallon|

2 Years Ago

"You're seriously going to wear that to our date? I didn't book a table at a fancy-ass restaurant so you could embarrass me looking like that?" Chase spat out.

"But this is the nicest thing I own." I couldn't keep my voice from wavering.

I'd spent over three hours going through my limited selection of clothes, trying to come up with the perfect outfit, and I'd spent the next two hours getting ready.

"Don't look at me like you're some wounded animal, Fallon." He rolled his eyes. "You do shit like this and then get upset when I don't acknowledge our relationship in public or pretend I don't know you in front of my friends."

My anger spiked. "If you're so embarrassed of me why did you ask me out in the first place?" I demanded.

"How could you even ask me that?" Chase's voice rose. "Do you have any idea how many girls have asked me out? Slid into my DMs'? I had so many options, still do, but I choose to be with you!"

"Am I supposed to thank you for that?" I swallowed, I balled my hands into fists to keep them from shaking.

"You always do this!" Chase shook his head. "You always make me out to be the bad guy. After everything I've done for you." His eyes suddenly shone with hurt. "When the orphanage threw you out I was the one who let you crash at my place till you'd saved up enough money to pay rent. I gifted you a new phone when you told me you couldn't afford one. I was the one who sat in the waiting room of the hospital when you had your appendix removed, no one else!"

I could feel guilt squeezing my heart.

He was right. He had done a lot for me. He'd been there for me when no one else had.

"But does that give him the right to make you feel the way you're feeling right now?" A small voice inside my head whispered. "

It wasn't one-sided. What about all the times I was there for him? What about all the sacrifices I made?" I wanted to ask.

I pushed that voice down.

"He's just trying to look out for you. Even if his words are harsh, they're true. He just doesn't want you to embarrass yourself in public." I told myself.

Besides, he's the only person in your life who truly cares about you. If you lose him you'll have no one.

I forced my lips into a smile.

"You're right Chase. I'm sorry I overreacted. I'll change into something more appropriate and then we can go."

Chase scoffed. "You know what, just forget it. I've lost my appetite now thanks to you. The date is off."

"Please Chase-" I started to say but he didn't even let me finish, he just walked out of the apartment and slammed the door behind himself.

I slid to the floor, and my whole body shook as I sobbed.

It's okay Fallon.

It will be okay.

"You're meant to float, not sink," I whispered to myself

~~**~~

"I think I just won a date with you Fallon." Chase Michelson's cold voice had me crashing back into reality

I stood motionless as dread and panic consumed me.

This could not be happening.

No

Please no.

All the insecurities I'd felt in the past suddenly came rushing back.

Fallon the freak.

You're disgusting.

What are you wearing, that's so embarrassing.

I tried to tune it out, but the memories just kept invading my mind. Tearing me away piece by piece.

And then suddenly,

"Over my dead body will that ever happen."

I gasped.

Archer.

Chase's blue eyes narrowed. "The fuck is your problem, asshole?"

"You," Archer growled.

He was leaning against the back wall. He had put on a black T-shirt. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his posture was casual but his eyes flashed with barely contained rage.

He pushed himself off the wall and slowly stalked towards the stage till he was standing right in front of me. His stony expression seemed to soften a little when his eyes met mine.

"Whatever Chase Michelson bids, I'll double it," Archer stated, his voice low, his gaze not straying from me for even a second.

Chase chuckled coldly. "Fine, waste your money on dirty trash. I only bid on her because I felt sorry for her anyway."

It all happened in a blur.

One second Archer was standing in front of me, the next, he had Chase pinned to the floor.

People shouted in shock, some took their phones out and started recording.

I watched in horror as Archer drew his fist back and punched Chase square in the face.

Once.

Twice.

 I jumped off the stage and rushed towards them, a crowd had already gathered around eager to watch the fight that had broken out.

Archer, drew his fist back, ready to strike again. His knuckles were bloody. I'd never seen him this angry.

"Archer please stop!" I pleaded as tears streamed down my face.

His fist froze in mid-air. He turned his head to look at me.

Chase saw that as an opportunity. He elbowed Archer in the chest and wrestled him to the floor.

I screamed in horror as Chase's fist collided with Archer's jaw. My legs moved on their own accord. I tried to push Chase off  Archer but he only shoved me back with his elbow causing me to lose my balance. I yelped out in pain as I fell to the floor and landed painfully on my side.

The two of them continued to struggle and throw punches at each other. Chase had a busted lip and a black eye and Archer's nose was bleeding but they didn't stop.

"Alright kids, break it up!"

I watched as two police officers made their way towards us. I could see the blue and red lights of their cruiser reflecting through the window.

Behind the police officers, Sofia clutched her phone in her hand her lips drawn into a thin line.

~~**~~

I sat alone on the cold bench outside the police station.

Chase had left with his mom a while ago, thankfully he hadn't said anything to me when he'd seen me sitting here.

I scrambled to my feet when I saw Archer's familiar frame walking out, his parents walking close behind him.

"You should be thankful that they agreed not to put this on your permanent record. Do you have any idea what kind of impact an assault charge could have on your future? You would never be accepted into a respectable law school, no law firm would ever hire you." Mr. Hasting's voice echoed and I cringed.

Archer shook his head. "Sounds pretty good to me."

His mother gasped. "Archer Hastings how dare you say that! Aren't you ashamed of what you did?"

He stopped walking when he saw me.

"No, I'm not." He murmured, his eyes trained on me.

And then suddenly he was running.

Towards me.

His parents shouted after him but he didn't stop.

He didn't stop when he reached me, he just grabbed my hand and dragged me with him till I regained my senses and started running beside him.

He didn't stop.

So I just kept running too.

"What are we doing?" I gasped breathlessly as we raced down the sidewalk in the dark of the night.

He turned his head towards the sky and smiled.

"We're just living a little, Fallon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 147 37
"Would you like to dance?" the boy asks me. I stare deep into his blue eyes, but I can't figure out who he is. He's tall with dark hair and the brigh...
4.9K 285 38
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
19.7M 551K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...