The Observations Of Lunas

By Cribo-83

A simple story about the usurpation of a world by aliens, told from the perspective of a demi-goddess. More

CHAPTER 1: FAMILY UNIOIN
CHAPTER 2: A MISSION OF CHARITY
CHAPTER 4: DEATH COMES TO OUR WORLD
CHAPTER 5: PARENTAGE REVEALED
CHAPTER 6: THE EMERGENCE OF A NEW DEITY

CHAPTER 3: INCLUSORY CREATION

1 0 0
By Cribo-83

My next steps take me to the base of a mountain, where I find a great many women toiling away, breaking rocks with large tools and gathering the chunks which they load onto carts that are then pulled up the mountain side by a group of women. They don't even stop at my approach.

I pull one of them aside. "What is going on?" I ask as I take in the scope of the activity.

"Many apologies goddess," she wheezes and gives a slight bow but nothing else. "We haven't time to stop. We must cultivate the rock our men folk are to use, to build a temple to our god."

"Where are the men folk?" I ask as I look about till I catch sight of the women dragging the cart. "Up there?"

"Yes. They live at the top of the mountain, where we are forbidden to tread," she instructs me and nods her head. "Now please goddess, I must be about my work."

I dismiss her and wonder just how many of these societies are fashioned around this gender separation motif? I shake off the question and take hold of a cart. What takes four women is done by just me, but not without serious labor on my part. The climb is arduous and it takes me quite some time to see it finished.

I see the team of women who departed before I took the burden upon myself, they have deposited their cart and are taking an empty one back down the mountain. It is only when they are gone from sight that a group of men emerge from nearby and take hold of the contraption before dragging it away and leaving an empty one in its place.

I ditch my own cart and hurry after the retreating men. I'm not long in my pursuit when I see a large structure being constructed of the cut stone. It looks to be a temple and it is well on its way to being completed. At my presence the workers, all men, fall to their knees and I close the distance between us.

"What are you doing here?" a voice asks behind me before I have a chance to speak.

I turn about, it's my grandfather Creus. "Dear grandfather," I addresses him and give a slight bow. "I am only trying understand what is going on."

"Well, do it elsewhere," Creus scolds and fixes me with a hard stare. "You are nothing but a nuisance here."

I decide to say nothing and take my leave before he gets angry.

I walk down the mountain and pass on along the way that opens before me. My feet take me into the desert. The sun, which is usually quite inviting, glares with an intensity I have not known. It bakes the sands of the scorched land and every step feels as though fire. If it weren't for my immunity I know I would fall victim to the heat.

I journey onward and come across a group of nomads covered so that none of their skin can be seen and they trudge along despite the temperature. One of them catches sight of me and alerts the others to my presence. The whole group turn to face me and are otherwise still. I find it strange that they do not bow or give any other form of supplication for my benefit.

"Where is your god?" I ask of them as I look about the wide expanse and see nothing else.

"God?" one of them says as they step forward with a voice too muffled to distinguish even gender. "We don't have a god. No one looks out for us, but us."

I'm perplexed by the notion. "Do you really not worship even a single god?" I query and try my best not to look shocked.

"No sane person comes to the wastes," the speaker continues and I can't tell which way they are looking due to the kind of veil they wear. "Even the gods don't dare to step foot in here."

"But it's so hot," I reason and wipe my hand across my head. "Even my immunity is being taxed to its very limit."

"Yes, we must deal with the scorching sun and the freezing moon," the speaker continues and looks skyward at the gleaming orb, my father's chariot. "But it is a small price to pay for the freedom we enjoy."

"What do you mean?" I inquire as my curiosity builds.

"We have sent scouts throughout the land and they've all reported the same thing," the speaker furthers their point and stands relatively still. "The gods demand obedience, servitude and subjugation of their followers. Better to live in this harsh environment beholden to no one than to live under the rule of higher beings who trivialize our existence."

"Not all the gods are callous and cruel," I try to defend my peers without sounding like I'm spouting propaganda. "Some of them want nothing more than to know you."

"Such a god would be rare indeed," the speaker points out and crosses their arms. "And I would be doubly wary of such benevolence without a clear depiction of the price that must be paid."

"I wish there was a way for me to prove my words, but I can think of none," I rally the best I can while shaking my head.

"If you truly wish to be on our good side, then simply leave us be to live out our lives," the speaker informs me and turns away as the whole group carry on.

I watch from my place as they disappear over the sand dunes while the moon, my home, takes its place in the sky. I can feel the chill air rising all around me, were I not divine I'm certain it would chill me to the bone. It's time I leave this desert for a more hospitable climate though I know not which direction I should go.

"What brings you to these desolate wastes, dear granddaughter?" a voice speaks behind me.

I turn around, it's my grandfather, Salinas. "Why do these people not know you?" I ask while trying to sound serious, but not combative and remove as much hostility from my expression as I can.

"I prefer to observe from afar," he explains and tips his head a bit. "So I have allowed the people to develop free of any divine influence."

"Does anyone else know about this?" I query and take a step forward.

"No one knows, since no one visits these burning sands. At least that was the case," Salinas informs me and looks off in the direction the group had gone. "Truth be told, I'm not even sure why they live here, instead of migrating to a more hospitable environment."

"You mean you don't help them in their time of need?" I press and point an accusing finger.

"No, neither do I hurt them," Salinas carries on and returns his sight to me. "I just stand by and let nature take its course."

"No wonder they prefer to live outside of our influence," I reason as I hammer a fist in my hand. "If they only understood our true intent then they would come back into the fold."

"That's quite the argument," Salinas remarks and twists his chin. "But do you really feel that their lives would be improved by our interference?"

"Of course I do," I throw back and take a step forward. "We control every aspect of life on this planet. Without us they will be left without a voice to express their desires."

"You are correct that life will be difficult outside of our influence and yet..." Salinas proceeds before trailing off while adopting a ten yard stare.

"And yet?" I repeat while feeling frustration rising in my voice and clenching a hand to alleviate my angst.

"And yet they live and prosper despite a lack of our powers," Salinas presses on and regards me with a curious eye. "They have found a way to live in the harshest environment bereft of any but their own assistance. Their strength could very well rewrite the history of this world and the people who live upon it."

"Are you saying we're the bad guys?" I posit and place a hand near to my lips.

"Good guys and bad guys are far too limiting a concept to ever truly be applied to a realistic situation," Salinas waxes philosophical and gives a shake to his head. "We are all of us doing what we can to coexist. But we have powers and they give us the sense of righteousness. It is for this reason that we must tread with the utmost caution, lest we overstep and destroy that which we are meant to defend."

"But what can we do to avert disaster?" I query as the weight of the statement threatens to crush me and I do my utmost to remain standing.

Salinas leans forward and claps me on the shoulder. "You've already started," he assures me while looking me in the eye. "By taking paths that others have neglected and seeing things their eyes will never see, by diversifying your experiences you've already taken the necessary steps."

The words alleviate the burden upon my back and I can feel myself rise.

"Lunas, child, you are a true wonder to behold," Salinas extolls upon me and releases his grip. "You look out for even the lowliest creatures and you aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers, within reason. I look forward to seeing how you develop in this world of ours and what marvelous changes you can enact. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more chronicling to do."

"Yes grandfather," I address him properly and give a nod. "There is still a great deal of exploring to do."

"May fortune smile upon you and your path be ever without obstacle," Salinas starts waxing philosophical as he meanders down a different path, speech wise.as he curls his chin. "Providing they aren't the kind that provides a positive outcome. As a life without obstacle will prove detrimental to one's physical and mental well being."

I'm thoroughly confused and the look is clear on my face.

"Let us just say that I wish you well in all your endeavors and leave it at that," Salinas sums up his intent and turns about.

We part company and I head for the coast. The water stands before me, the last obstacle to the only people I have yet to set eyes upon. I take to the sky and fly over to the islands. I touch down upon the land and gaze at its beauty. It's a veritable paradise, full of colorful fauna and kissed by a gentle breeze.

I enter a clearing and find the women who regard me with only a passing interest. I take a seat within their circle. "Hello," I address them and sit a little straighter.

They say nothing.

"There you are," a voice says from behind me. "I've been looking all over for you."

I turn around. "Father, it is so good to see you," I address him and leap into his arms. "I've been all over this land, visiting the people and getting to know them."

"Sounds like you had quite the outing. You'll have to tell me about it sometime," he remarks and gives a squeeze before putting me to arm's length. "But right now we have to go. Your grandfather, Creus, has called another meeting."

I give a nod and we both take to the sky. It isn't long before we reach the palace where we find everyone waiting for us.

"Late again, are we son?" Creus addresses us, more specifically my father and folds his arms. "I hope you don't plan on making a habit of this."

"My apologies father," Heliot returns and gives a bow. "It took me awhile to find my wandering child."

I blush a bit.

"Indeed," Creus says as he eyes me. "She has quite the inquisitive mind, but do try to rein her in and be sure to keep her away from places she ought not be."

"Yes father," Heliot replies and places a hand around my shoulder. "I will do my best."

"See that you do," thus spoken Creus turns his attention to everyone. "Now, as for the reason of this meeting: it has come to my attention that there is something missing. It's not quite clear what that something is, but I have an idea. We are going to create more lumps of clay, with the same gifts and seals, but we shall each shape them as we see fit."

The assembled mass rise as one and quickly gather round the speaker. All except Salinas and Rajesh. They're expression is far more subdued and they wait till everyone has left their place before making their way to the back of the line as it were. The clay is handed out so that each have two equal lumps to mold.

"Now go forth and create new life," Creus commands as he holds his hands aloft. "Cover the world with the new species so that they might prosper and grow in increasing numbers."

The mass split and depart for their individual corner of the world. Only my father, I and Salinas are left.

"Heliot, son," my grandfather starts and steps towards us. "I really don't care to create new life. Here." He hands over his clay. "Take mine and do as you please."

My father smiles. "I have an idea," he says and looks to me. "Let's go to a lake."

I nod and we take off. Once at the lake Heliot starts to shape his clay while I watch closely. He molds a large, oval shaped body and head in the same piece. Then he gives it a big mouth and covers it in scales before crafting fins and a tail. Using some nearby flowers he stains the male blue while the female is colored purple. He hands me one and we put both in the water and watch them swim off.

The next two lumps he shapes into very small bodies with long wings, stubby claws and a small head. After that he takes hold of a single beam of sunlight and bathes both of their feathers in it, giving them a golden plumage. Then, using the flowers from before, he rubs the male's underbelly with orange and the female he colors white. Thus created they fly off ot build a nest.

Now it's my turn and I know just what to make. I start with small bodies, cover them in feathers, give them squat claws and wings, a short neck and a small head. I then reach out to the sky and gather a stray beam of moonlight which I use to wash both birds and give them luminescent feathers. The male I put a red tip on the end of his beak and feathers, while the female I give blue ones to. Then I set them on the ground and watch them scurry away.

Then I have an idea. "Father," I say and return my eyes to him. "Why don't we go see the other animals, everyone else made?"

"An excellent idea my dear," Heliot praises me and we take off into the sky.

First we visit Descarta, who has only just finished her creations and watch with her as they scamper off. They are tall, sleek creatures who stand on all fours and move with powerful fluidity. One has a magnificent set of antlers, while the other has stubby horns on either side of her head.

"Such magnificent creatures," I declare aloud, as I place a hand to my mouth.

"Do not make a big deal of them," Descarta chastises me and crosses her arms. "Their purpose is utilitarian, not appearance."

I disagree. After all, they can both serve a function and look good, but I keep my opinion to myself. Uradhi is nearby, so I approach her. She's just putting the finishing touches on her creation. I stand completely stupefied by them. They're stubby little creatures, who walk on all fours, they have dense fur and a broad tail. They both look identical and I still have no idea what they are.

"Uradhi," I address their creator as I continue to gaze upon them. "What are they?"

"Well," the demi-goddess of plant life starts. "I honestly have no idea. I just got the idea in my head and I had to create it."

Uradhi's explanation doesn't satisfy my query, but I don't believe she could offer a better one so I except it all the same. We say our goodbyes and I give a hug to my fellow demi-goddess while leaving her mother be as she has not lessened her rigid demeanor. After which, we both return to the sky and fly away.

We soar through the air and wind our way to the majestic mountains that dot the landscape. We catch sight of grandfather Creus standing near his temple with a magnificent bird perched on his arm. It's busy cleaning its feathers which are far too large for it to reach every one, but it tries all the same.

"What have you grandfather?" I ask as I land.

"Only the most magnificent specimen of bird to ever grace this planet," he gushes and beems with pride.

"Indeed it is," I lie as I think they're not as great as the birds my father made, but again, keep it to myself. "What's that?" I eye a much smaller bird flying above.

"That?" Creus starts, the enthusiasm gone from his voice. "That's just the female I made."

"It looks pretty," I inform him while following its path in the air which is slightly clumsy given is much smaller wingspan.

"I suppose," he says, a tinge of enthusiasm returning. "I guess I always perform well, even when I'm not trying."

I've had more than my share of his ego. "You are indeed," I agree as I keep my indignation masked behind a smile. "All the same I think it's time that I carry on. Coming father?"

"I need a moment with your grandfather," Heliot informs me and taps on my shoulder. "But feel free to go exploring.

It's obvious that my father is trying to politely get rid of me, but I don't mind. If he wants time alone with his progenitor then I'm not going to stand in his way. I give a nod and fly away. I sail over the land and take note of the caves below. Now would be a good time to visit with Rajesh and see what it is she has crafted.

I land and take sight of my great aunt as she puts the finishing touches on her unique creations. The strange beasts come to life and don't take very kindly to my intrusion. They bark and snarl at me while bearing their nasty looking teeth and paw at the ground with jagged claws as they inch toward me.

"Hush!" Rajesh commands and smacks each across the head, before addressing me. "Dear child, have you come to see my dogs?"

Are they really dogs? Devil dogs maybe. They stand at about waist level on all fours and have long sharp quills covering the skin starting from the back of the head to the tip of their bobbed tails. They deliver to me an evil eye, but regard their mistress with concerned looks as they dare not disobey her.

"Yes, great aunt," I reply and prepare to stroke them, but decide against it. "They really are something."

"Aren't they though," Rajesh remarks and for the first time I see her smile. "They're just the thing to keep people from visiting."

"Even me?" I ask, genuinely curious and withdraw slightly.

"Oh no, not you," Rajesh responds as she draws near to me. "Here." She gently takes hold of my hand and brings it near the dogs.

I'm scared of the terrible violence they can inflict upon my person, but I trust implicitly in my great aunt as I believe she would never do anything to hurt me. The dogs sniff my hand and my scent combined with that of their creator is enough to put them at ease and they give me a few licks before nuzzling my palm.

"There," Rajesh coos and looks into my face. "They now have your scent and will not bother you when you visit."

I embrace her. "Thank you," I return as I give her a squeeze.

"Think nothing of it dear, now run along," Rajesh orders in her half-hearted way. "I have things to be about."

I give a gracious nod and decide to walk instead of fly. There is only one creation left so I head to the shore. I look about, but the goddess is nowhere to be found. She must be on her island. I fly over and find her standing near the water watching a large, colorful fish flop about in the water with a much smaller, uglier fish swimming around it.

"Dear grandmother," I start and touch down upon the sand. "What have you created?"

"Only the most beautiful creature the sea has ever known," she declares while bristling with pride.

It seems Creus isn't the only one with an over-inflated ego. I only hope such mindsets are not contagious, else I'll likely be infected before too long. I stand beside her and gaze at the creatures beneath the waves. One is dazzling with its bright, colorful scales, the other less so, but each swim in harmony.

"Tell me honestly," Cleus entreats of me and lowers her head slightly. "What do you think about them?"

I know the last thing she wants is honesty. What she really wants is flattery. "They really are, magnificent," I oblige her while cherry picking the truth.

"They?" Cleus shoots back, unhappy with my opinion. "Only the female could be considered magnificent, the male is anything but."

I need to recover. "Yes grandmother," I quickly return as I strain my brain for the proper words. "But even the dull one has its own kind of beauty. But what do you expect, could you really create anything that wasn't?"

"Why, you're right," Cleus starts in as though gazing upon her creation for the first time. "How could I be so foolish? Thank you, dear granddaughter."

I give a smile and fly back to the mainland. Why are there such conceited individuals in this world and how did they get this way? Once grounded I take to walking about and observing the many splendid wonders that meet my eye in the hopes of wrapping my mind around some other matter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

599 17 20
To save their home, they must destroy another home. To save their planets, they must destroy Earth. But, as the humans are nearing defeat, a girl wil...
190 1 18
Marooned on a Alien planet, caught up in an Alien war.
8 0 5
Story about Alien arrival on Earth.
5.9K 1.1K 67
The world is at war. A desperate band of humans flee trying to get away from the fighting. They manage to find their way to a new world and this is t...