Standing in the Storm

By TheQuietHufflepuff

As soon as she turned 18, Anastasia, Tasie, Winchester left the life of hunting and made herself a life she w... More

Aesthetic
Normalcy No More
Season One
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
04. Phantom Traveler
05. Bloody Mary
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. The Benders
13. Shadow
14. Hell House
15. Something Wicked
16. Provenance
17. Dead Man's Blood
18. Salvation
19. Devil's Trap
Season Two
20. In My Time of Dying
21. Everybody Loves a Clown
22. Bloodlust
23. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
24. Simon Said

03. Dead in the Water

57 4 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin

EXT. CARLTON HOUSE – DAY

INT. CARLTON HOUSE – DAY

Will Carlton sat on the kitchen counter eating cereal, Bill Carlton at the table reading the newspaper. Sophie Carlton came through the room.

Sophie kissed her father on the cheek. "Morning, Daddy."

"Morning, sweetheart," Bill replied.

Sophie went to get something out of the refrigerator.

"All these workouts, Soph, I don't know. Guys don't like buff girls," Will said.

"Yeah, well, girls don't like guys who still live at home," Sophie shot back.

Will drains the milk from his cereal bowl and slid off the counter before saying, "Ha ha ha."

"Ha ha." Sophie opened the door to leave.

"Be careful," Bill warned.

"I will." Sophie closed the door.

EXT. LAKE – DAY

Sophie stood on the dock, looking at the lake. Will watched from a distance as she dove in. She swam and came up for air, looking around; she saw no one. She kept swimming. She came up for air again and looked around some more; still no one. Someone approached her from underwater and pulled her under. Bubbles formed, then there was nothing.

EXT. HOTEL – DAY

A truck went past a neon sign that said HOTEL, behind a building that said The Lynnwood Inn. The Impala was parked in front.

INT. RESTAURANT – DAY

There was a mostly empty plate in front of Dean, who was circling obituaries in a newspaper while Tasie sat next to him. Levi sat next to her, holding Ethan.

Dean circled an obituary that read: CARLTON, SOPHIE -The Carlton family is sad to announce the death of their beloved daughter in a tragic swimming accident. Sophie Carlton, 18, was having her [...] Lake Manitoc WI, an [...] suddenly [...]

An attractive waitress, whose name tag said Wendy, approached.

"Can I get you anything else?" Wendy asked.

Sam came over and sat down. "Just the check, please."

"Okay," Wendy replied, walking away.

Dean dropped his head, then looked at Sam. "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." He pointed to Wendy's retreating figure. "That's fun."

Sam looked at his brother.

Dean handed Sam the newspaper. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam repeated.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever."

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

"Something you want to say to me?"

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day."

"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know," Tasie said with a huff. "Something. Anything."

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You two don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?"

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just—"

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. While Tasie has been living an apple-pie life. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?"

Sam and Tasie rolled their eyes. Levi looked between them. Wendy walked by. Dean watched her with a smile.

"All right, Lake Manitoc. Hey!" Sam called.

Dean returned his attention to Sam. "Huh?"

"How far?"

Round and Round by Ratt began to play.

EXT. ROAD – DAY

The Impala passed a clothesline with white sheets.

EXT. BRIDGE – DAY

The Impala crossed a bridge and passed someone fishing off same.

EXT. ROAD – DAY

The Impala drove past a sign that read "Welcome to Lake Manitoc WI."

EXT. CARLTON HOUSE – DAY

The Impala pulled up in front of the Carlton house.

The Impala's engine stopped.

Levi took Ethan around to explore.

Dean knocked on the door. Will Carlton opened it.

"Will Carlton?" Dean guessed.

"Yeah, that's right," Will replied.

"I'm Agent Ford. This is Agent Hamill and Agent Fisher. We're with the US Wildlife Service." He held up an ID.

EXT. LAKE – DAY

Bill Carlton was sitting on a bench on the dock. Will brought Sam, Tasie and Dean around to see him.

"She was about a hundred yards out," Will told them. "That's where she got dragged down."

"And you're sure she didn't just drown?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. She was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake. She was as safe out there as in her own bathtub."

"So no splashing? No signs of distress?" Sam questioned.

"No, that's what I'm telling you."

"Did you see any shadows in the water?" Dean wondered. "Maybe some dark shape breach the surface?"

"No. Again, she was really far out there."

"You ever see any strange tracks by the shoreline?" Tasie asked.

"No, never. Why? Why, what do you think's out there?"

"We'll let you know as soon as we do." Dean headed back to the car.

"What about your father?" Sam wondered, causing Dean to stop and turn back. "Can we talk to him?"

Will turned to look at Bill, then turned back. "Look, if you don't mind, I mean... he didn't see anything and he's kind of been through a lot."

"We understand."

Sam, Tasie, and Dean went to the car. Levi and Ethan joined a short while later.

INT. POLICE STATION – DAY

Sheriff Jake Devins spoke to Sam, Tasie, holding Ethan, Levi and Dean. "Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?"

"You sure it's accidental?" Sam shot back. "Will Carlton saw something grab his sister."

"Like what?"

They walked into Jake's office. Jake motioned to chairs in front of his desk.

"Here, sit, please," Jake offered. "There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake."

Sam, Tasie and Dean sat.

Jake continued. "There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness Monster."

"Yeah," Dean agreed with a laugh. "Right."

Sam, Tasie and Levi glanced at Dean.

"Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still—" Jake said as he sat. "We dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there."

"That's weird, though, I mean, that's, that's the third missing body this year," Dean said.

"I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about."

"I know."

"Anyway..." He sighed. "All this... it won't be a problem much longer."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the dam, of course."

"Of course, the dam. It's, uh, it sprung a leak."

"It's falling apart, and the feds won't give us the grant to repair it, so they've opened the spillway. In another six months, there won't be much of a lake. There won't be much of a town, either. But as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that."

"Exactly."

A young woman, Andrea Barr, tapped on the door. "Sorry, am I interrupting?"

Sam and Dean stood.

"I can come back later," Andrea said.

"Gentlemen, ma'am, this is my daughter," Jake told the brothers and the couple.

Dean introduced himself. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dean." He shook Andrea's hand.

"Andrea Barr," Andrea replied. "Hi."

"Hi."

Tasie shook Andrea's hand. "Nice to meet you. This is Ethan."

Levi shook Andrea's hand as well.

"They're from the Wildlife Service," Jake informed. "About the lake."

"Oh," Andrea commented.

A boy, Lucas Barr, walked in around Andrea.

"Oh, hey there. What's your name?" Dean asked.

Lucas walked away without speaking. Andrea followed.

"His name is Lucas," Jake said.

Lucas and Andrea were in the main room. Andrea gave him some crayons out of a box.

"Is he okay?" Sam and Levi asked.

"My grandson's been through a lot. We all have," Jake told them as he stood and went to the office door. "Well, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know."

Dean, Sam, Levi, Tasie, holding Ethan, and Jake left the office.

"Thanks," Dean said. "You know, now that you mentioned it, could you point us in the direction of a reasonably priced motel?"

"Lakefront Motel," Andrea replied. "Go around the corner. It's about two blocks south."

"Two—would you mind showing us?"

Andrea laughed. "You want me to walk you two blocks?"

"Not if it's any trouble."

"I'm headed that way anyway." Andrea turned to Jake. "I'll be back to pick up Lucas at three." She turned to Lucas. "We'll go to the park, okay, sweetie?" She kissed Lucas on the head.

Dean waved as he left. Jake nodded.

"Thanks again," Sam said.

EXT. STREET – DAY

Andrea led Dean, Tasie, Levi and Sam along the street.

"So, cute kid," Dean commented.

"Thanks," Andrea replied as they crossed a street. "Ethan is adorable as well."

Tasie smiled. "Thank you."

"Kids are the best, huh?" Dean said.

Andrea glanced at him and ignored him. They kept walking. They stopped in front of a building that said Lakefront Motel.

"There it is," Andrea told them. "Like I said, two blocks."

"Thanks."

Andrea addressed Dean. "Must be hard, with your sense of direction, never being able to find your way to a decent pickup line." She left, calling back over her shoulder, "Enjoy your stay!"

"'Kids are the best'? You don't even like kids."

"I love kids," Dean shot back.

"Name three children that you even know," Tasie challenged. "Ethan doesn't count."

Dean thought and came up empty. Sam and Tasie waved a hand and walked into the motel.

Dean scratched his head. "I'm thinking!"

"Don't strain yourself," Levi said, following his wife and her twin brother.

INT. MOTEL ROOM – DAY

Sam was working on his laptop. Dean was going through his clothing. Tasie was nursing Ethan and Levi had a lore book open.

"So there's the three drowning victims this year," Sam informed.

"Any before that?" Dean asked.

"Uh, yeah."

Sam had a browser window open to The Lake Manitoc Tribune.
DROWNING TAINTS ICE FISHING FESTIVAL. He clicked, and another browser window came up, again the Tribune: 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL DROWNS IN LAKE, Second drowning in 6 months at Lake Manitoc

Sam said, "Six more spread out over the past thirty-five years. Those bodies were never recovered either. If there is something out there, it's picking up its pace."

Dean tossed an item of clothing onto a bed. "So, what, we got a lake monster on a binge?"

"This whole lake monster theory, it, it just bugs me."

Dean came over to read over Sam's shoulder. "Why?"

"Loch Ness, uh, Lake Champlain, there are literally hundreds of eyewitness accounts, but here, almost nothing." Sam looked at the Tribune homepage. "Whatever it is out there, no one's living to talk about it." He scrolled to the comments section of an article.

Dean pointed to it. "Wait, Barr, Christopher Barr. Where have I heard that name before?"

Sam read from the page. "Christopher Barr, the victim in May."

Sam clicked a link, opening a new page. LOCAL MAN IN TRAGIC ACCIDENT. The picture loaded: it showed a police officer with Lucas.

"Oh," Sam said. "Christopher Barr was Andrea's husband, Lucas's father. Apparently he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned. Two hours before the kid got rescued." He clicked the picture for a better look, then scratched his head. "Maybe we have an eyewitness after all."

"No wonder that kid was so freaked out," Dean replied. "Watching one of your parents die isn't something you just get over."

EXT. PARK – DAY

Kids were laughing and playing. Andrea sat on a bench and watched Lucas, who was at another bench coloring and playing with toy soldiers.

"Can we join you?" Sam voiced.

Andrea looked up to see Sam, Levi, Tasie, holding Ethan, and Dean before she said, "I'm here with my son."

Dean looked over at Lucas.

"Oh. Mind if we say hi?" Dean asked as he went over to Lucas.

"Tell your friend this whole Jerry Maguire thing is not gonna work on me," Andrea told Sam.

Tasie went to walk around with Ethan as he'd started fussing.

Levi and Sam sat next to Andrea as the former said, "I don't think that's what this is about."

Dean approached Lucas and asked, "How's it going?"

Dean knelt down next to the bench where Lucas was coloring; when Lucas didn't look up, he picked up one of the toy soldiers.

"Oh, I used to love these things." Dean imitated guns and explosions, then tossed the toy soldier down. "So crayons is more your thing? That's cool. Chicks dig artists."

Lucas had a pile of drawings on the bench. Dean took a look. The top one was of a big black swirl; the second one was of a red bicycle.

"Hey, these are pretty good. You mind if I sit and draw with you for a while?" Dean questioned as he picked up a crayon. "I'm not so bad myself."

He sat on the bench, picked up a pad of paper, and started drawing. After a moment, he spoke. "You know, I'm thinking you can hear me, you just don't want to talk. I don't know exactly what happened to your dad, but I know it was something real bad. I think I know how you feel. When I was your age, I saw something." There was a pause. "Anyway. Well, maybe you don't think anyone will listen to you, or, uh... or believe you. I want you to know that I will. You don't even have to say anything. You could draw me a picture about what you saw that day, with your dad, on the lake. Okay, no problem. This is for you." He held out to Lucas the picture he drew. It was stick figures. "This is my family."

Dean pointed at each person in turn. "That's my dad. That's my mom. That's my geek brother, that's my little sister, that's her husband, their son, and that's me." There was another pause. "All right; I'm a sucky artist. I'll see you around, Lucas."

Dean headed back to Sam, Tasie, Ethan, Levi and Andrea. Lucas picked up the pictures.

Dean approached Andrea, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Sam.

"Lucas hasn't said a word, not even to me," Andrea told them. "Not since his dad's accident."

"Yeah, we heard. Sorry," the siblings replied.

Andrea nodded.

"What are the doctors saying?" Sam asked.

"That it's a kind of post-traumatic stress," Andrea replied.

"That can't be easy," Levi said gently. "For either of you."

"We moved in with my dad. He helps out a lot. It's just... when I think about what Lucas went through, what he saw..." There was a pause.

"Kids are strong," Dean told her. "You'd be surprised what they can deal with."

Lucas left the bench, heading for the group.

Andrea continued. "You know, he used to have such life. He was hard to keep up with, to tell you the truth. Now he just sits there. Drawing those pictures, playing with those army men. I just wish—" Lucas walked up, carrying a picture. "Hey sweetie."

Lucas handed Dean the picture.

"Thanks. Thanks, Lucas," Dean said.

It was a picture of the Carlton house.

Lucas headed back to the bench.

INT. CARLTON HOUSE – DAY

Bill was sitting in a chair, doing nothing.

Will approached and said, "Hey, Dad? You, you should probably eat something. I'm gonna make some dinner, okay?"

Bill said nothing and turned his head away.

INT. KITCHEN – DAY

Will washed a fish at the sink. He didn't turn the water off when he began cutting up the fish. The water turned brown. Will noticed and shut off the water. Black water came up through the drain and filled the sink. Will rolled up his sleeve to pull the plug out of the drain. He came up with the plug, but the water didn't drain. He stuck his arm back in the water, and something grabbed it, pulling him into the sink. He drowned. The water drained.

INT. MOTEL – DAY

Dean was inside the motel room sitting on a bed. Levi was holding his sleeping son on the other bed.

Sam opened the door and came in, followed by Tasie. "So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie."

"What do you mean?" Dean and Levi asked.

Sam sat on the other side of Dean. "Tasie and I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead."

"He drowned?"

"Yep. In the sink."

Dean frowned. "What the hell? So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else."

"Yeah, but what?" Tasie wondered.

"I don't know. Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water... water that comes from the same source."

"The lake."

"Yeah."

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining. It'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time."

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere. He stood. "This is gonna happen again soon." He sat on a chair.

"And we do know one other thing for sure," Sam said. "We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton."

"Yeah, it took both his kids."

"And I've been asking around. Lucas's dad, Chris—Bill Carlton's godson."

"Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit."

EXT. LAKE – DAY

Bill Carlton was sitting on the bench on the dock.

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam called.

Bill looked up as Sam, Tasie, holding Ethan, Levi and Dean approached.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind," Sam said.

"We're from the, the Department—" Dean was cut off.

"I don't care who you're with," Bill interrupted. "I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake," Sam said. "What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death—we think there might be a connection to you or your family."

"My children are gone. It's... it's worse than dying. Go away. Please."

Sam, Tasie, Levi and Dean headed back to the car.

"What do you think?" Sam asked.

Dean glanced at his brother, brother-in-law and sister before saying, "Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something."

Sam leaned on the Impala. "So now what?" Dean went still. "What is it?"

"Huh," Dean noted, looking at the Carlton house. "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something."

Dean pulled out the picture Lucas brought him, which was of the Carlton house. He looked at Sam, then his sister, then his brother-in-law.

DEVINS/BARR HOUSE

Andrea voiced, "I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea."

"I just need to talk to him," Dean said.

INT. HOUSE – DAY

Sam, Tasie, holding a sleeping Ethan, Levi and Dean were inside Andrea's house, talking to her.

"Just for a few minutes," Dean added.

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?" Andrea asked.

"Andrea, we think more people might get hurt," Sam told her. "We think something's happening out there."

"My husband, the others, they just drowned. That's all."

"If that's what you really believe, then we'll go," Dean said. "But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me, my brother-in-law, my sister and my brother talk to your son."

INT. LUCAS'S BEDROOM – DAY

Lucas was coloring, toy soldiers standing around him. Dean, Andrea, Tasie, Levi and Sam approached the doorway. Dean entered and crouched by Lucas.

"Hey, Lucas," Dean greeted. "You remember me?"

Lucas had drawn two more pictures of a red bicycle.

He gave Lucas a small smile. "You know, I, uh, I wanted to thank you for that last drawing. But the thing is, I need your help again."

Lucas was drawing a person in water. Dean opened the house picture and put it down in front of Lucas before saying, "How did you know to draw this? Did you know something bad was gonna happen? Maybe you could nod yes or no for me."

Lucas kept coloring.

Dean continued. "You're scared. It's okay. I understand. See, when I were your age, I saw something real bad happen to my mom, and I was scared, too. I didn't feel like talking, just like you. But see, my—I know she wanted me to be brave. I think about that every day. And I do my best to be brave. And maybe, your dad wants you to be brave too."

Lucas dropped his crayon and looked up at Dean. He handed Dean a picture of a white church, a yellow house, and a boy with a blue baseball cap and red bicycle in front of a wooden fence.

"Thanks, Lucas," Dean said.

INT. IMPALA — DAY

Dean, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Sam were in the Impala, Sam holding the church picture.

"Andrea said the kid never drew like that till his dad died," Dean said.

"There are cases—going through a traumatic experience could make people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies," Sam replied.

"Whatever's out there, what if Lucas is tapping into it somehow? I mean, it's only a matter of time before somebody else drowns, so if you got a better lead, please."

"All right, we got another house to find."

"The only problem is there's about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone."

Sam looked at the picture. "See this church? I bet there's less than a thousand of those around here. Probably only one in town."

"Oh, College Boy thinks he's so smart."

"You know, um... What you said about Mom... You never told me or Tasie that before."

"It's no big deal. Oh God, we're not gonna have to hug or anything, are we?"

EXT. CHURCH – DAY

Sam, Tasie, holding Ethan, Levi and Dean approached a white church shaped like the one in Lucas's picture. Dean held up the picture and looked at it, comparing it to the scene in front of him; there was a yellow house next to the church and a wooden fence near the house. Sam looked at Dean. They each looked up at the church and crossed the street to the house.

Dean voiced, "We're sorry to bother you, ma'am—"

INT. SWEENEY HOUSE – DAY

Dean, Tasie, holding her son, Levi and Sam were inside the house, speaking to an old woman, Mrs. Sweeney.

"—but does a little boy live here, by chance?" Dean asked. "He might wear a blue ball cap, has a red bicycle."

"No sir," Mrs. Sweeney replied. "Not for a very long time. Peter's been gone for thirty-five years now."

There was a picture of Peter on the side table.

Mrs. Sweeney sighed. "The police never—I never had any idea what happened. He just disappeared."

Sam and Levi pointed out to Dean a number of toy soldiers on a table.

"Losing him—you know, it's... it's worse than dying," Mrs. Sweeney added.

Mae glanced at Sam before asking, "Did he disappear from here? I mean, from this house?"

"He was supposed to ride his bike straight home after school, and he never showed up."

Dean picked a picture off the mirror. There were two boys in the picture, one of Peter with a bicycle.

Dean read from the back of the picture. "Peter Sweeney and Billy Carlton, nineteen seventy."

EXT. LAKE – DAY

Bill was sitting on the bench on the dock, talking to himself, or to the lake as he said, "You've taken everything, everyone. I've got nothing left. I didn't understand. I didn't believe. Now I think I do. I think I finally know what you want."

INT. IMPALA – DAY

Dean, Levi, Ethan, Tasie and Sam were driving.

"Okay, this little boy Peter Sweeney vanishes, and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow," Sam said.

"Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh?" Dean replied.

"And Bill, the people he loves, they're all getting punished."

"So what if Bill did something to Peter?" Levi guessed.

"What if Bill killed him?"

"Peter's spirit would be furious," Dean said. "It'd want revenge. It's possible."

EXT. CARLTON HOUSE – DAY

The Impala pulled up in front of the Carlton house. Sam, Levi, holding Ethan, Tasie and Dean approached the house.

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam and Tasie called.

An engine roared.

EXT. LAKE – DAY

Sam, Tasie, Levi and Dean went around the house to see Bill going out on the lake in his boat.

"Hey, check it out," Dean said.

Sam, Tasie, Levo and Dean ran to the end of the dock, yelling.

"Mr. Carlton!" Dean cried. "You need to come back! Come out of the water! Turn the boat around!"

"Mr. Carlton!" Sam, Levi, shielding his son's eyes, and Tasie called.

Bill ignored them and kept going. The water rose up and flipped Bill's boat over. It and he vanished.

INT. POLICE STATION – DAY

Lucas was sitting in a chair, rocking back and forth. Andrea was sitting next to him, holding a paper bag and a plastic container.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Andrea asked.

Sam, Dean, Tasie, Levi, holding Ethan, and Jake walked in the door.

Andrea looked over. "Sam, Dean, Tasie, Levi, Ethan." She stood, putting the bag and container on her chair. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"So now you're on a first-name basis," Jake commented. "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you dinner."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, I don't really have the time."

"I heard about Bill Carlton. Is it true? Is something going on with the lake?"

"Right now we don't know what the truth is. But I think it might be better if you and Lucas went on home."

Lucas looked up and whined, looking stricken; he jumped up and grabbed Dean's arm.

"Lucas, hey, what is it?" Dean asked. "Lucas."

"Lucas," Andrea said.

"Lucas, it's okay. It's okay. Hey, Lucas, it's okay. It's okay."

Andrea pulled Lucas away from Dean and led them outside. Lucas didn't look away from Dean.

Jake threw down his jacket and went into his office. Sam, Tasie, Levi and Dean followed as Jake said, "Okay, just so I'm clear, you see... something attack Bill's boat, sending Bill—who is a very good swimmer, by the way—into the drink, and you never see him again?"

Dean glanced at Sam. "Yeah, that about sums it up."

"And I'm supposed to believe this, even though I've already sonar-swept that entire lake? And what you're describing is impossible? And you're not really Wildlife Service?" Dean looked surprised. "That's right, I checked. Department's never heard of you three."

"See, now, we can explain that."

"Enough. Please. The only reason you're breathing free air is one of Bill's neighbors saw him steering out that boat just before you did. So, we have a couple of options here. I can arrest you for impersonating government officials and hold you as material witnesses to Bill Carlton's disappearance. Or, we can chalk this all up to a bad day, you get into your car, you put this town in your rearview mirror, and you don't ever darken my doorstep again."

"Door number two sounds good."

"That's the one I'd pick."

INT. LUCAS'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

Lucas was in his room with the toy soldiers, drawing another black spiral.

Andrea walked by his door in a robe. "Baby, what are you doing up? Come on. Let's go to bed." She picked Lucas up.

INT. IMPALA – NIGHT

Dean, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Sam were in the Impala, waiting at a traffic light. Levi had fallen asleep, holding a sleeping Ethan's hand. A sign said I-43 North to Milwaukee is to the left. The light turned green. The Impala didn't move.

"Green," Sam and Tasie said.

"What?" Dean asked.

"Light's green," Sam said as Dean turned right. "Uh, the interstate's the other way."

"I know."

INT. BATHROOM – NIGHT

Andrea was in the bathroom. She plugged the drain of her tub and turned the water on.

INT. IMPALA – NIGHT

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean were in the car.

"But Dean, this job, I think it's over," Sam said.

"I'm not so sure," Dean replied.

Tasie leaned forward as she said, "If Bill murdered Peter Sweeney and Peter's spirit got its revenge, case closed. The spirit should be at rest."

"All right, so what if we take off and this thing isn't done? You know, what if we've missed something? What if more people get hurt?"

"But why would you think that?" Sam asked.

"Because Lucas was really scared."

"That's what this is about?"

"I just don't want to leave this town until I know the kid's okay."

"Who are you? And what have you done with our brother?"

Dean glanced at Sam. "Shut up."

INT. BATHROOM – NIGHT

The bathtub was mostly full and Andrea tested the water with one hand. She took off her robe and got in the water. She leaned back, grabbed a washcloth, and closed her eyes. The water coming out of the faucet turned brown. Andrea started washing herself with the cloth, then opened her eyes. The water had become entirely brown. She screamed and tried to get out of the tub, but something dragged her down.

INT. HALLWAY – NIGHT

Lucas pounded on the bathroom door.

INT. BATHROOM – NIGHT

Andrea's head was pulled under the water. She pulled it out. She was pulled under again; lather, rinse, repeat. Lucas kept pounding. Andrea was invisible under the water.

EXT. HOUSE – NIGHT

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean had arrived.

"Are you sure about this?" Sam asked. "It's pretty late, man."

Dean rang the doorbell. At that moment, Lucas opened the door, desperately afraid.

"Lucas? Lucas!" Dean called.

Lucas took off. Dean, Tasie, Levi and Sam followed him. Ethan was sleeping in his car seat.

INT. HALLWAY – NIGHT

Water was pouring out from under the bathroom door and down the stairs. Lucas started pounding on the bathroom door again. Dean pushed him over to Sam and Tasie and kicked in the door. Lucas grabbed Dean, Tasie stayed with them, so Sam and Levi ran into the bathroom and stuck their arms in the tub, trying to pull Andrea out. She was pulled back under, but Sam and Levi kept pulling until Andrea was all the way out. She started coughing up water.

INT. LIVING ROOM – DAY

Dawn was breaking. Sam, Levi and Andrea sat in the living room. Andrea was dry and wearing comfortable clothing. Tasie entered with Ethan and walked towards her elder brother.

"Can you tell us?" Sam asked.

"No," Andrea replied.

Dean and Tasie were looking through notebooks on bookshelves.

"It doesn't make any sense," Andrea said as she started crying. "I'm going crazy." She put her face in her hands.

"No, you're not," Sam reassured. "Tell me what happened. Everything."

"I heard... I thought I heard... there was this voice."

"What did it say?" Levi asked.

"It said... it said 'come play with me'." She sobbed. "What's happening?"

Tasie pulled out a scrapbook that said 'Jake – 12 years old' and opened it, flipping pages. She closed it again and went to Sam, Levi and Andrea, followed by Dean; put the book down in front of Andrea, open to a picture of Explorer Troop 37.

"Do you recognize the kids in these pictures?" Tasie questioned.

"What?" Andrea said. "Um, um, no. I mean, except that's my dad right there. He must have been about twelve in these pictures." She moved her finger over to another picture of Jake as a child; he was standing next to Peter.

Dean and Tasie looked at Sam as the former said, "Chris Barr's drowning. The connection wasn't to Bill Carlton. It must have been to the sheriff."

"Bill and the sheriff—they were both involved with Peter."

"What about Chris? My dad—what are you talking about?" Andrea wondered.

Dean looked sideways. "Lucas?" Lucas was staring out the window. "Lucas, what is it?"

Lucas opened the door and walked outside. Everyone followed.

"Lucas, honey?" Andrea called.

Lucas stopped and looked at the ground, then at Dean.

"You and Lucas get back to the house and stay there, okay?" Dean instructed.

Andrea pulled Lucas back to the house. Dean, Levi and Sam fetched shovels from the Impala, before they started digging. Tasie stayed near Andrea and Lucas, holding Ethan. Sam's shovel clanked against something. They dug with their hands and pulled out a red bicycle.

"Peter's bike," Sam realized.

"Who are you?" Jake demanded.

Sam, Levi and Dean turned around; Jake was there, pointing a gun at them.

"Put the gun down, Jake," Sam told him.

Sam, Levi and Dean dropped the shovels.

"How did you know that was there?" Jake asked.

"What happened?" Dean questioned. "You and Bill killed Peter, drowned him in the lake and then buried the bike? You can't bury the truth, Jake. Nothing stays buried."

Andrea saw Jake with the gun aimed at Sam, Levi and Dean. She spoke to Lucas. "Go to your room, sweetie. Now. Lock the door and wait for me. Don't come out."

Lucas ran off and Andrea went outside.

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about," Jake said.

Sam came to a realization. "You and Bill killed Peter Sweeney thirty-five years ago. That's what the hell he's talking about."

Andrea ran up. "Dad!"

"And now you got one seriously pissed-off spirit," Dean told him.

"It's gonna take Andrea, Lucas, everyone you love," Mae warned. "It's gonna drown them. And it's gonna drag their bodies God knows where, so you can feel the same pain Peter's mom felt. And then, after that, it's gonna take you, and it's not gonna stop until it does."

"Yeah, and how do you know that?"

"Because that's exactly what it did to Bill Carlton."

"Listen to yourselves, each of you. You're insane."

"I don't really give a rat's ass what you think of us," Dean retorted. "But if we're gonna bring down this spirit, we need to find the remains, salt them, and burn them into dust. Now tell me you buried Peter somewhere. Tell me you didn't just let him go in the lake."

Lucas didn't go to his room; he was outside watching.

"Come play with me," Peter said.

Lucas followed the voice.

"Dad, is any of this true?" Andrea asked.

"No," Jake replied. "Don't listen to them. They're liars and they're dangerous."

"Something tried to drown me. Chris died on that lake. Dad, look at me." Jake did so. "Tell me you—you didn't kill anyone." Jake looked away. "Oh my God."

"Billy and I were at the lake. Peter was the smallest one. We always bullied him, but this time, it got rough. We were holding his head under the water. We didn't mean to. But we held him under too long and he drowned. We let the body go, and it sank."

Dean and Levi glanced at Sam and Tasie.

"Oh, Andrea, we were kids," Jake told her. "We were so scared. It was a mistake. But, Andrea, to say that I have anything to do with these drownings, with Chris, because of some ghost? It's not rational."

"All right, listen to me, all of you," Dean said. "We need to get you away from this lake, as far as we can, right now."

Andrea turned her head and spotted Lucas going down to the lake. She gasped.

"Lucas!" Jake yelled.

They all ran up to the dock. Lucas was leaning over the side, reaching for a toy soldier in the water.

"Come play with me," Peter said again.

"Lucas!" Dean, Tasie and Levi called.

"Lucas!" Andrea cried. "Baby, stay where you are!"

A hand came up and pulled Lucas into the water. The adults had reached the edge of the lake. Jake stopped. Peter's head was visible and Jake recognized him. Dean, Levi and Sam kept running to the end of the dock and dove in.

"Oh my God!" Andrea exclaimed as she took off her jacket to jump in.

"Andrea, stay there!" Sam and Levi instructed.

"No! Lucas!"

"We'll get him!" Sam told her. "Just stay on the dock with Tasie and Ethan!"

Sam and Levi dove under again. Dean came up. A minute later, so did Sam and Mae.

"Sam? Levi?" Dean called.

Sam and Levi shook their heads.

"Lucas, where are you?" Andrea questioned.

Jake took off his jacket as Sam, Levi and Dean dove back down. Jake waded in. Andrea looked over.

"Peter, if you can hear me... please, Peter, I'm sorry," Jake apologized. "I'm so—I'm so sorry."

"Daddy, no!" Andrea cried.

"Peter. Lucas—he's, he's just a little boy. Please, it's not their fault, it's mine. Please take me."

Dean, Levi and Sam came up for air.

"Jake, no!" Dean and Levi yelled.

Peter surfaced.

"Just let it be over!" Jake begged as he was dragged down.

"Daddy!" Andrea called. "Daddy! No!"

Dean, Levi and Sam dove down again.

"No!" Andrea cried.

Sam and Levi came up, shaking their heads. Andrea mouthed 'no!'

Dean came up, holding Lucas, who wasn't moving.

EXT. STREET – DAY

Dean, Levi, Tasie, holding Ethan, and Sam walked out of the motel. Dean opened the car door and Sam tossed a duffel in. Tasie buckled Ethan into his car seat.

"Look, we're not gonna save everybody," Sam said.

"I know," Dean replied.

"Sam, Dean, Tasie. Levi."

Andrea walked up with Lucas.

"Hey," Dean greeted.

"We're glad we caught you," Andrea told him. "We just, um, we made you lunch for the road."

Lucas was carrying a tray of sandwiches.

"Lucas insisted on making the sandwiches himself," Andrea added.

"Can I give it to them now?" Lucas asked.

"Of course."

Andrea smiled and kissed Lucas's head.

"Come on, Lucas, let's load this into the car," Dean said, followed by Levi.

"How you holding up?" Sam inquired.

"It's just gonna take a long time to sort through everything, you know?" Andrea replied.

Sam and Tasie sighed. "Andrea, I'm sorry."

Andrea shook her head. "You saved my son. I can't ask for more than that. Dad loved me. He loved Lucas. No matter what he did, I just have to hold on to that."

Dean put the sandwiches in the car. "All right, if you're gonna be talking now, this is a very important phrase, so I want you to repeat it one more time."

"Zeppelin rules!" Lucas exclaimed.

"That's right. Up high." Dean held his hand up for a high-five. Lucas obliged, grinning. "You take care of your mom, okay?"

"All right."

Levi smiled as he nodded his agreement.

Andrea came up and kissed Dean before saying, "Thank you."

Dean went around the car and said, "Sam, Tasie, move your asses. Hop in, Levi. We're gonna run out of daylight before we hit the road."

Levi got in the car, then Sam and Tasie. Bad Company's Movin' On started to play when Dean started the engine.

Sam, Tasie, Levi and Dean smiled at Andrea and Lucas waving goodbye.

Sam, Tasie, Levi, Ethan and Dean drove away.

EXT. ROAD – DAY

The Impala drove on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 102 39
Dean and Carrie unknowingly fell in love as children. Years later, the two meet up again and sparks fly. A whirlwind romance leads quickly to golden...
Ashes By TheQuietHufflepuff

Mystery / Thriller

865 22 12
Samantha, Sam, Winchester never knew her mother. From the time she could walk, she never had a proper home. The day she, as her father put it, runs...
50.1K 1.6K 36
It's not easy for being a demon, but being the princess of hell, it's twice as hard. When Victoria was twelve years old, she tried to sell her soul f...
117 0 5
Hallie wasn't quite like her brother, but they did share some similarities. For years, she'd heard tales of the American Hunters and their reckless w...