phoenix ✦ k.takami (hawks)

By evixtus

"The sky is so tragically beautiful. A graveyard of stars." When a pro-hero passes out across the street from... More

Introduction
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
★ Sixteen
★ Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
★ Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
★ Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
★ Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
★ Forty Five
Forty Six
★ Forty Seven
notice
Forty Eight
Forty Nine
Fifty
Fifty One
Fifty Two
Fifty Three
Fifty Four
Fifty Five
Fifty Six
Fifty Seven
Fifty Eight
Fifty Nine
Sixty
Sixty One
Sixty Two
Epilogue
surprise! <3
✨ surprise pt. 2 ✨

Sixty Three

3.1K 102 88
By evixtus

No one expects an angel to set the world on fire.
~ Unknown

Track 64: The Muck by K.Flay
✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

It only took two days to verify that the letter from your Grandmother was authentic. Same for the hospital address she had attached to said mail. When you approached Medicine Girl about traveling on a plane, she nearly had a heart attack. She forbade it, and said that taking a ferry was a much better and safer option. So, you obliged. It took another week for you to finally be permitted to be off of rest anyway.

Keigo still had yet to regrow Fierce Wings to their full capacity, but he wasn't phased by it at all. It had been at least three weeks since the war overall, and he guessed they were nearly 35% of the way there. You just shook your head and went along with him, knowing any growth at all was a fortunate thing. You did your best to block out the faint memories of your own wings being lit up all those years ago, and it worked.

Two days after you were released from resting at home you returned to work at the bar for a short while. Your husband said it was important to get the whole ship to yourselves in order to have a peaceful trip to the other island; so it would be a few more days before he was able to reserve a private ferry.

You enjoyed being back at the bar anyway. Not only did your regulars come to check in on you and say that they missed you, none of them brought up what had happened on the news. A lot more people attempted to become patrons just for the sake of gossip, but fortunately Fat Gum and your regular patrons were good about keeping an eye out for those ones. Aizawa and Hizashi were a plus in all the ruckus. Thanks to AFO being taken down a few weeks ago, the crime rates had dropped by a large capacity. Of course there were still criminals here and there but nothing like it had been shortly after Stains video leaked to the public.

A few hours go by on your regular shift. You notice you are wearing out easier than you did before; you could've gone up to 8 hours without taking a break but now you were exhausted pushing 4. Fortunately for you, Aizawa wanders into the building a few moments later. He sits down at your bar and asks for his usual: sake. You pour it and slide it over, in return he passes you a Manila envelope.

You pull it closer to you by your fingertips and cock an eyebrow at him. "What's this?"

"We should go to the break room." He replied after he took a sip of his drink.

You call out to Fat Gum that you're going on break and he signals that he heard you with a thumbs up. You carry the Manila envelope with carefulness when you lead him into the break room. You're still adjusting to seeing him with the eyepatch and his prosthetic leg, but it's growing on you. You open the door and close it behind him. He pulls out a chair for you at the table in a quiet thanks.

"How are you?" He asks you the second that you set the Manila folder down. "With the news and all."

"It's been kinda rough." You admitted, letting out a gentle sigh. "Being pregnant isn't helping at all, but Hawks and I haven't fought like we did before." You felt awkward talking about your issues with your husband, so you redirected the topic onto Aizawa. "What about you?"

"It's strange not having my leg anymore." He takes another sip of his sake. "I can still feel it sometimes, and I dream about the fight a lot. Says it's called Phantom Limb Pain or whatever. Otherwise nothing's changed. School's good. My students are quiet, though." He finishes with closed eyes, like he's processing what the nation is still recovering from.

"It does feel like the whole country's gone quiet, hasn't it?" You agreed sullenly. "Anyway, what did you bring me?" You tapped your finger on the folder, waiting for his answer before you opened it.

"You mentioned trying to access information about your parents. I managed to get some for you."

Quickly, you undo the small metal pin and pull out a small bunch of paper. It is being held together by binder clips. On the first page is a picture of your mother. It's black and white but you can see her (e/c) eyes and bright white hair without a doubt. You missed her, and you felt angry at her all at the same time. How could her and your father have done this to you and Touya?

"How did you get this?"

Aizawa finishes his sake. "I have a few connections."

"Well, thank you." Inside the file was a lot on your mother that you had hidden in repressed memories. It brought her back to life inside your head.

Her name was (L/N) Emiri. She was born in Kyoto and registered with a telekinetic quirk at the age of six. It displayed her height and weight, nearly mirroring your own. There is no information on her parents or any of her family. Down below her identifying information is a section of notes. They are typed out in a different font, like they were added on at a later date.

It says that at the age of 16 she went MIA. No record shows her whereabouts during that time. She doesn't come back into the public record until she's 21, quirkless. Behind that paper is a marriage license to your father. Beneath that is a birth record for Touya (L/n). There's added text to this as well. He vanishes from Honshu island and reappears in a public school on Shikoku Island a few weeks later–going by a different name. Many years passed by, and at the age of 17 he reportedly died in a house fire.

That was before your father went on the mission he never returned home from. What you were reading on the papers in front of you was difficult to digest, not at all different from what you had been feeling since fully grasping the concept of having a brother. What did knowing all of this information now mean? Would it have made a difference in your life had you figured all of this out earlier? Would it have been at all possible for you to try and re-establish the bond you had with Touya? Why did he "die" in the house fire before your father went on his mission?

Was the mission he went on to find Touya? Was that why he never came home? Did he find the answers he wanted? Or did he die before figuring out the truth? Did Touya play a part in his death as well or would you never know?

There are only a few more pages beneath that record. The first one is the disappearance of your father. There's an official letter stating he went MIA on a mission, and was declared deceased. It was signed by a detective and what appeared to be a coroner. That meant that there was no way to verify that the Nomu you saw wasn't your father. For two years Emiri attempted to defend your fathers name, saying that he would return like nothing had happened. Did she know about what happened to Touya? Then, she was murdered. At the time they never found who did it, but now you know the truth.

"This is....more than I could have asked for." Your voice was meek, barely able to leave your throat.

"I know. I feel shitty about having dropped all of this onto you, meaning the public knowing about your private life now." He let out another sigh, deeper than before and crossed his arms over his chest. "I figured if i got this to you, it would be beneficial. I'm sorry if this is more than you can handle right now."

You swallowed hard. The lump at the back of your throat felt permanent at this point, like it was something you'd never be able to get rid of. "It's okay. Thank you, again." You take a second to regain your steadfast tone of voice. You have to remain strong. You couldn't break down yet.

"Of course." He stands up from his seat. "I have to get back to the dorms, but I'll swing by again soon."

"Sure." You rise as well, rubbing the palms of your hands on your pants. "I'll walk you out."

The rest of your shift at the bar, you run on autopilot.

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

Two days pass by slowly, like sap dripping from a tree. Finally the time had come to take off for Shikoku Island. Keigo was coming with you, of course. You shared with him what Aizawa had uncovered for you. He wouldn't allow you to go through what had a lot of emotional weight to it alone. He took you into a warm embrace and kissed your forehead, reminding you that he was never leaving your side again.

Yoshio was less than happy when he caught you packing a suitcase to leave. He jumped inside of it in an attempt to stop your actions. You proceeded to set out your chosen outfits around him instead, which he decided to bodyslam and fight like it was his natural-born enemy. Eventually you had to coerce him with a deep conversation and lots of snuggles before he decided to leave you be. You promised him and Momo that you would only be gone for three days compared to your unplanned two week vanishing act. He was still less than satisfied, but hopefully as understanding as a cat could be.

Keigo did his best to fill the empty ambiance of the travel time to Shikoku with random conversations. Sometimes he would ask you about random things, like what were some of your memories from U.A.? Or he'd ask you what gender you thought the baby was going to be. You said you weren't sure. When you asked him if he wanted a son or a daughter more, he said he wanted a son first, and then a daughter so he could take care of her. You laughed and said if that happened he would probably bully her. Keigo said he wouldn't allow it.

Shikoku Island was the smallest of four making up the nation of Japan. It was only 225 kilometers long, and most of its locals lived in the North. The South was a mountainous region with much less population. That's where your Grandmother lived. Due to her sickness at her elderly age, she had been transferred from a small emergency clinic on the southern side up to the North, where a major hospital was key for her care. The ferry ride to Shikoku Island was only a few hours long. The ocean was calm and blue, not a cloud in the sky to hide the warm spring sun from your skin.

It felt amazing, being out on the open water like this. It almost made you forget about what was happening back on Honshu. The feeling was only temporary though, as it dissipated once you reached the island. Instead of returning to that empty sense of numbness, you found yourself in awe instead. You found it beautiful. The inner bay was lucious with flora, the beach warm with azure blue tides rolling onto the golden shores. The ferry signaled its arrival into port with a deep bellow from its horn. You and Keigo had spent a majority of the ride outside, wanting to enjoy every bit of the sea breeze that you could. You were more than thankful that you didn't get sea sick with your pregnancy.

After departing from the ferry terminal, you were surprised to learn that your hotel wasn't too far away from the hospital your Grandmother was at. While you had been distracted by your tumultuous thoughts and mindset, your husband had been planning ahead. You made a mental note to thank him for the amount of time and care he put into this last-minute trip for you. He just made the overall picture more tolerable to bear. If it hadn't been for him you probably would've been somewhere you couldn't imagine.

Not once did he let go of your hand since the two of you stepped foot onto Shikoku. Not unless he absolutely had to, of course. He opened every door and spoke to everybody before you felt like you needed to. That gives you the perfect opportunity to lose yourself in your surroundings. When you climbed into the taxi he had called earlier, you felt his thumb run across the back of your hand after you rested your forehead against the window.

What was Touya's life like, growing up on this island?

Forty-five minutes passed before you reached the hotel the two of you would be staying at. It was in the next town over. After depositing your bags in the suite Keigo had reserved, the walk to the hospital felt apprehensive. The winged hero beside you was blabbering about something with his fingers interlaced with yours. While you were thankful for his attempt at being optimistic, it didn't silence your thoughts. You had so many questions. Would you be able to get the answers you desired?

You would never remember what the inside of that hospital looked like. The lobby was essentially a white blur in your peripherals when you hyperfixated on the front desk. Behind it sat a woman with a blank face and nondescript details. The only thing you could feel was the warmth in your right hand, Keigo's constantly moving thumb the only anchor you had to the real world.

"How can I help you today?" Her voice echoed in your ears.

"I'm here to visit my grandmother." Your voice didn't sound nor feel like your own.

"Of course. What's her name?"

You hated this. The only reason you didn't have to go through this with Keigo was because Medicine Girl was taking you up there personally. "(L/N) Okina."

Without saying anything, she types the name into the system. It only takes a few seconds for her information to pop up.

"She is in Room 314. May I see your identification?"

You and Keigo hand over your Hero Licenses, which she plugs into the system as visitors. Shortly after, she writes your names on a small sticker and gives them to you to wear on your shirts. Your husband audibly thanks her while you give her a gentle, yet warm smile. He leads you away from the front desk and you follow without a word. You don't have the willpower to take your eyes off of him as he finds out the quickest path to your Grandmother's room.

"How are you feeling, stardust? You've been quiet since we got on the island." He is thankful that the elevator is empty besides you and him, otherwise he wasn't sure if he would have been able to keep things private.

"I'm okay." You say quietly. "Just...nervous I guess." You weren't sure what else to tell him because you yourself weren't sure.

"It's okay to be nervous." He reassured you that how you are feeling right now is valid. "You've been through a lot this past year, and this just seems to be the icing on the whole cake, huh?"

His metaphor makes you giggle. "Yeah, it kinda is." You give him a soft smile. "Thank you for coming with me."

He furrowed his eyebrows for a second, as if it had been an option for him not to come. He wiped the expression off and smiled back brighter, making your heart skip a beat. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

When the elevator dings to signal that you've arrived on the third floor, you take the lead this time. A few feet away from the elevator is another desk, though you don't need to stop at that one this time. To the left are rooms 301-321. To the right are numbers way off the one you're searching for, so you head left. The walls of this hospital are a bit more run down than the one you stayed at after the war, but it's still just as eerie and sterile. Keigo knocks on the door for you when you arrive at Room 314. There is a moment of silence before a voice invites you in.

You take a deep breath before finally stepping in. He is close behind you, his breath is tangible against your feathers. You aren't sure how to feel when you finally lay eyes on her. She has white hair like your father and Touya. You are not sure if it's natural or if it's just her age. She has pink eyes, though. She seems to be having a hard time breathing on her own, presented by the oxygen filtered into her nose through tiny translucent pipes.

"It's so nice to finally meet you." Her voice is frail and delicate, as if she could be shattered like a glass vase.

"Likewise." Is the first thing that builds on the tip of your tongue. You make yourself at home in the chair near her bed. Keigo stands behind you, leaning against the wall. He has a kind smile on his face. "I hope you don't mind that I have a guest. This is my husband, Hawks."

"Oh not at all." Okina has a weak smile, but her soft blush colored eyes show happiness. "I'll take all the company, I've been so lonely here."

A pang of guilt shoots through your chest. "I'm sorry I didn't–"

"Do not apologize." She cuts you off and you sit up a bit. "You have no reason to do that, no matter what you are trying to apologize for. You had no idea what was happening and your parents hid so much from you. I figured they had brainwashed you into believing your Grandfather and I were some horrible monsters."

You looked away sheepishly. She wasn't wrong. "I remember my father telling me that you and Grandpa disowned him after he married my Mom. He said that you tried to come back and fix things when my wings started to grow." You look back at her and see the sad look on her wrinkled face. "But that wasn't true, was it?"

Okina shakes her head. "Not entirely. It's true that we didn't like your mother. My quirk is 'Starsight'. When the sky is clear, I can see bits of the future in certain ones. I foresaw your mother having a baby boy and attempting to kill him after he was born."

That sent a shot of dread through your system. Keigo placed his hand on your shoulder in order to help you remain grounded.

She takes a few seconds to catch her breath. "I'm sorry, I get winded now when I speak for a long time."

"No need to apologize." Keigo replies comfortingly to both you and her. He knows you don't mind it at all; it gives you moments to process the information she's giving you. This is a whole other load of details you didn't realize could be a part of the overall picture. You aren't sure if you're more thankful or not for coming out here.

"They told us that they were going to keep him. They promised it, actually. But then, she became pregnant with you. They sent him to an orphanage before I could see it in the stars. I saw your birth and him sitting in a room full of kids. It took us two weeks to track him down, they had sent him North where they thought he couldn't be found. We adopted him and brought him home."

Okina takes another break, and you look back behind you at Keigo. He's not focused on her at all, really. He is prioritizing you over what she is saying. You are what matters to him and how her words are affecting your mental state.

You aren't sure where the words come from, but it's fueled by your need to fill in the empty spaces. "What was Touya like as a child?"

Her face returns to one of content, and a forlorn look drifts into her eyes. "He was a good boy. He said that his dream was to be a hero. We didn't tell him what your parents had done, but he knew. He was old enough by that point to remember. While he was well-behaved and got good grades in school most of the time, he would have his outbursts. Most of them included self-harm, and each time he did it, it got worse." She looks away from you. "We had to send him away, twice I believe. He was too much of a danger to himself and us, we couldn't handle it. The last time was when he was sixteen. Shortly after that, the house went up in flames when I left him there to run to the grocery store. I should have taken him with me."

Okina was crying now.

You took a deep breath, and filled her in on what had happened to you. You explained how your father left when you were a freshman in high school, at U.A. to be exact. For two years your mother, Emiri tried to defend his name. She was murdered by who you later learned to be Touya in your senior year. You didn't have any wings when you graduated. Your wings regrew and you ran Emiri's bar until you met Hawks. You explained what happened from there on out. By the end of it you felt as winded as she did after just a few sentences here and there.

She looks between you and Hawks before smiling. "I saw it in the stars, you know."

You pick your head up a bit. "Saw what?"

"The two of you, and a family."

Immediately, you felt put on the spot. What did that mean? Did she see any other part of your future with him? Would she tell you? You debated whether or not to tell her that you were indeed pregnant, and starting a family with him against all odds. Before you could decide, she spoke up again.

"I have a favor to ask of you, even though I have no room to do so."

Nevertheless, you felt obligated to hear her out. "What is it?"

"You're staying at a hotel nearby, I assume?" When you nod in confirmation, she continues. "Your grandfather and I rebuilt the house we raised Touya in after we thought he died. Please visit, I would love for you to see the pictures on the walls."

"Sure." You agree without thinking about it. You'll have to discuss it with Keigo later, but for now it is worth considering. "Is that all?'

"Yes. Thank you, (Y/N), so much, for visiting me. I can rest easy now knowing that I was able to meet you and your husband before I pass." Okina gives you a smile only a Grandmother that loves you with her whole heart can. You wish you could have seen it more before now. Slowly, she withdraws her hand from yours. "I would like to rest now."

You don't want to leave. Now that you've met her you're worried about letting go of the last family member you have. There is a foreboding feeling in your soul that tells you that you really don't have a choice. It tells you that her death is inevitable, and this indeed is the last time you will be seeing her. You aren't sure if it's a good sensation, but you rise to your feet and walk out the door anyway.

"You are everything we envisioned that you would be, my dear." She calls as your wings are the only thing remaining inside the room.

What your grandmothers last words to you are the same ones you heard from your father and your mother.

"You are a Phoenix."

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧
words; 4,097

wow.
thank you so much y'all.
this has definitely been a journey.

I cannot say how much I appreciate every single one of you. Every comment, read, and vote means the world to me. You guys drive me and motivate me to become a better writer. If it wasn't for your love and commitment to this story I don't think I'd have the writing ability that I do to this day.

I have evolved so much as an author through this story. I began it at a time where I thought I was happy, but I was actually in one of my darkest moments. This was a healing path for me, an outlet and an escape from real life. It has no correlation to the shit I faced in real life, but that's why it took a darker twist.

This is my most viewed work. Even if it doesn't show it now, at a point in time this had up to 2 million reads. Just writing that out blows my mind. The reason why that no longer shows is because I rewrote it without realizing it would erase every mark any reader had made on it before. I think it was a good thing, actually.

Having all of those reads and expectations stressed me out, so wiping the slate clean and starting fresh was good for me. I know some of you read the original and found this one by chance, or maybe you'd memorized my username or something; I'll never know unless you tell me LMAO. Thank you, for finding me again and sticking with me through this story.

Fear not for those of you who are left unsatisfied: for there is an epilogue in case some of you wanted to see what a family would be like. I'm working on it right now, actually.

In the meantime, please feel free to check out my other works.

Here's what I have in my library right now:

·˚ ◌༘₊· ͟͞꒰➳ 𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓 [ K. Takami x OC X Dabi ]
Eyes of Gold [ Trafalgar Law X Reader ]
Eyes of Sin [ Trafalgar Law X Reader X Yonji Vinsmoke ]
Sunset Drive [ Kyoujurou Rengoku X Reader ]
ON HIATUS:
Koi no Yokan [ Sero Hanta X Reader ]

thanks so much again, y'all.
I really hope I see you on some of my other fics
xoxo
~ evixtus

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 573 30
Misaki never wanted help. She'd been getting by just fine on her own for the last ten plus years, the last thing she needed was some nosey hero to co...
152K 5.2K 30
❛ 𝙊𝙝 𝙬𝙤𝙬~ 𝙨𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙞𝙨 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙖 𝙡𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙮 𝙝𝙪𝙨𝙗𝙖𝙣𝙙 ༉‧₊˚✧ ☕ ❛ In which an Interverted girl get...
72.7K 3.4K 61
𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐌𝐏𝐇 ᴺᴼᵁᴺ 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢·𝘯𝘺𝘮𝘱𝘩 | \ ˈ𝘱𝘦𝘳-ə-ˌ𝘯𝘪𝘮(𝘱)𝘧 , ˈ𝘱𝘢-𝘳ə- \ 1 : 𝗮 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱 going with a bridegroom to fetch hom...
163K 5.1K 18
In all your thousands of years being alive you never once thought of being a hero or being in love. Then the government makes you go to the best hero...