Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

93.7K 707 123
By akslate

Running on the Beach at Night

Chapter 1-Graduation Day

"I would like to present to you, the Class of 2009. Congratulations to all you students, you made it." Mr. McRight blabbed on and on. In my honest opinion think he just wanted to torture us just a little bit longer.

It was finally the day-the day I would start over, as a high school graduate. Don’t get me wrong, I would miss Oak Bluff. Even though it isn’t exactly the ideal place to grow up if you know what I mean. Oak Bluff is a small populated area in Martha's Vineyard, the downfall is that you know everyone and everyone knows you and everything that you are doing. That isn’t always a good thing. Especially when you’re best friend is a hell raiser.

My school is just about the same as every other high school in America. We have the popular kids, the jocks, the band geeks, your average regular geeks, rich, kids, Goths, and then there's me and Izzy Bradford, my best friend. We stay mutual, we try our best to stay in-between the clichés. Most everyone likes us, well most everyone likes Izzy. I, on the other hand, am extremely quiet and shy. Let’s just say, I am not the easiest person to get to know.

As we stood to receive our diplomas, I glance at Izzy Bradford and realize that this one summer will be our last to spend together. It would be the last nights we would raise hell through the streets of Oak Bluff, Massachusetts. The last summer that would be spent watching Sex in the City marathons while pigging out on junk food. We would no longer be able to fantasize about marrying Dr. Shepherd off of Grey’s Anatomy together. It would be the last summer that I let Izzy sneak me out of my home to go ride around with cute, much older boys that only had eyes for her. Of course, those particular nights weren’t the best but they were still memories- memories that I would never forget. I start thinking about all the fun times we had together. I feel a huge lump in my throat thinking about the day Izzy became my best friend.

No, no, no! I told myself I wouldn’t cry. This is supposed to be the happiest day of my childhood life. Izzy is probably over there itching to rip off this stupid robe and begin celebrating while I am on the verge of flooding the whole place with stupid tears! I guess that was one of the differences between Izzy and me.

She was very outspoken, and rambunctious. I remember the first day I saw her like it was just last week. She had moved here from New York City in the third grade because her father had gotten a job offer as Oak Bluff's Pediatrician. Izzy was the new girl; I was the geeky kid with four eyes. Yes, four eyes. I thought she would have never looked twice at me. Her first week at school, I would catch her looking at me mysteriously at the lunch table. I would ignore it, ignored a lot of things. Finally one day, we were at recess. Izzy had already become the queen of the huge fort in the middle of the playground. Only the people they allowed on the fort got to play on the fort. I was sitting on the huge log located right next to the fort while eating my midday snack.

Minding my own business like always, a chubby boy I didn’t know walked up to me and started picking on me. He pushed me off the log backwards, calling me "four-eyes". Not long after this happened, Izzy jumped off the fort and ran over to us.

“Preston Daniel Bradford... If you do not leave her alone I will tell mom when we get home. And you will be in so much trouble!"

Danny ran off to the latter and started running up it, trying to get in trouble for something else. I looked over to Izzy, she smiled warmly. So did I. Since then we had been attached at the hip.

 Izzy and I were much different in many ways; she was tall and had the body of a model. I, on the other hand, did not. I was only five foot five inches and weighed pretty average for my height. I was pretty good at keeping a healthy weight, since I had ran in high school for Cross Country. Six miles a day was an extreme work out, but I loved it. Izzy's blonde hair and blue eyes always stopped the boys in their track. I guess you could say her features were more "sexier" then my classy long black hair and bright green eyes. I had always been jealous of Izzy's flawless features.

Mr. McRight was half way down our graduating list, calling out names of my peers. "Izzy Bradford..."

Mr. McRight began to call out names faster, I think he figured out we were all tired of hearing his voice. "Carter Nash..."

I cringe at hearing my ex-self-absorbed boyfriend's name. Well really they call him Nash. We had dated a year. Mine and Nash's relationship is a sore subject. He cheated on me the night before my 19th birthday, just because I didn’t give it up to him. Stupid, huh?

I am an extremely modest person, and I don’t plan on giving it up so easily. So what? One relationship failed, there would be others. Even though, Nash was just about the hottest guy at school. He played just about every sport and was admired by almost every girl. However, my mother always told me, if it was right, I would know it. Carter was never the "right" guy. He looks right, his brown hair and brown eyes were somewhat convincing almost. I can’t count how many times he almost had me the way he wanted me.

I think the only reason he never did get that far is because I was scared. I had never gotten the "sex" talk from my mother. I had to learn it elsewhere, from other girl’s experiences. They were horrid. Izzy had lost her virginity her eleventh grade year and told me all about it. She told me it included lots of pain and a little bit of blood. I just felt I would know when the time was right, I had my whole life ahead of me, and I just didn’t want to lose it to the dumb jock.

Alot of girls would call me a wuss; I would like to think of myself as old-fashioned.

I suddenly noticed I had been in a daze for way too long, Mr. McRight had said my name at least two times before I had even acknowledged what I was missing. This happened a lot.

"Samantha Jade Smith…" His voice sounded eager with a hint of anger.

I finally snapped out of it and I walked towards Mr. McRight. He gave me a scolding, mean look as I took the diploma out of his hands and kept walking. I finally made it back to my seat, everyone staring at me wondering what was up. I had just gotten a little side-tracked. My cheeks were burned with embarrassment.

After calling out more names, graduation came to an end. Mostly everyone was crying. I couldn’t help but cry myself. As we walked off the football field we all separated to go find our families. Walking through the crowd, I can't help but notice all the sobbing mothers. It was like they were attending a funeral. It was just high school graduation.

I finally found my mother. From the looks of it, Tammy looked like the happiest mother alive. Not because I was graduating, probably because it was no longer her problem to deal with me anymore. That had always been my mother; she never wanted to actually be my mother. More like a friend.

"Congrats Sam, I’m so proud." Tammy said as she hugged my neck.

My mother was a truly strong women, she had been through so much. After my father passed away, she took over The Inn Bed and Breakfast. It was an extremely popular place, mostly for tourist and visitors. During the year there aren’t many guests, but during the summer it is swamped with people. The place was huge, located on the beach. Old timey homes are my favorite. Mom and dad had decided to open The Inn right before she had gotten pregnant with me. They both said it was a hard time, since they both had other jobs, but they were so glad they did it in the end.

"Thanks Tammy" I replied as I glanced over to the hairy faced guy standing next to me mother.

"Oh Sammy, This is Mark, my new boyfriend." Tammy grabbed Marks hand and started rubbing up his arm. I see Marks big hand grab down my mother’s ass. I was disgusted. She brushed him off and just giggled.

God save me. No, my mother was not a slut; but, she had her fair share of different boyfriends. The douche bag type was right up her ally. They all treated her like crap and only wanted her money. Well, it was her money now, my father passed away my fourth grade year. My father was the town Lawyer. Yes, there were other lawyers in Oak Bluff but my father was the most compassionate about his work. That’s why everyone loved him so much.

Mark's nasty hand came towards me; he nudged my shoulder "Congrats, Champ. I know you must be excited.” Geez, what am I…A five year old boy scout?

"Samantha Jade, you better get your butt over his right now!"

Thank god I was saved. I looked up to see Izzy waving her hands at me; I waved back and made my way over to her.

I glanced at my mom, "See you later mom! Love you!" I told her right before kissing her on the cheek.

"Oh Sammy be careful tonight!"

My mom was an oblivious parent. She always thought I was the best child, not that I was bad or anything. I mean, I wasn’t a bad child but I did follow the crowd a bit too much. Just like the time I had first gotten drunk on cheap whiskey called Heaven Hill at Nancy Thompson’s sleep over in the ninth grade because every other girl did too. I swore to myself I would never do it again. Sure, I drank a beer here and there but getting shit-faced? Nah.

I finally made my way to Izzy. As I confronted her and her family, Izzy practically bulldozed me with a hug. I hugged her back. "I never thought we would get this far! I’m so excited!" Izzy jumped around screaming.

Mr. Bradford laughed, "You'll miss it. I promise you girls have your whole life ahead of you. If I were you I would take my time growing up." Mr. Bradford was a very handsome man. He was tall and lean.

I sheepishly laugh thinking he was crazy as I hugged him. He had always been like a father figure to me, kept me straight, and taught me everything he taught Izzy. Deep down I knew he pitied me, but that was okay since my father had passed a year after they had moved to town.

Mrs. Bradford was just like any other mother, holding her tissue up to her face trying to hide her tears. She finally laid her hand on my shoulder, and looked at both me and Izzy. "You have no idea how proud we are of you girls." Her tears began rolling down her face harder. "Your father and I watched all grow up, it’s just so sad you guys will be leaving us soon." She finally moved over to her husband and cried on her chest.

Izzy looked over at me and grinned, that always meant she had a plan up her sleeve. She grabbed my arm and started pulling me away. "Mom, Dad we will see you later this afternoon! We have to go get ready for tonight!"

"Oh, yes! Iz, don’t forget to go find your brother! He is around here somewhere and wants to see you." Her father yelled out.

Danny Bradford. He had the looks of an Abercrombie & Fitch model and his personality was phenomenal. In high school, he was the guy that every girl wanted and the guy that other guys wanted to be. How cliché, right? Well no, this is true. He’s totally off limits, always has been and always will be. Well, at least that is what Izzy tells me; though, I don’t know why it would matter anyways. Danny Bradford has never looked at me twice! Me, being at the bottom of the totem pole and him being at the top, I still got to watch him and all of his glory while he didn’t even notice me half the time and I was his sister’s best friend! Being a football, basketball, soccer, and tennis player he was known as the jock. He was president of student council and was on the dean’s list every year. He was a total people person; everyone loved him. However, once he went off to Princeton University two years ago, he kind of fell off the face of the earth.

I guess he is back.

*****************************

I would love some comments, good or bad! I know it has started off pretty slow, but i promise next chapter will have you hooked :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

673K 25.9K 40
"If you asked me three months ago what heartbreak was, I would tell you it's losing somebody close to you due to unspeakable circumstances. But right...
10.3K 523 39
Riley has been single for over 4 years. By choice. Great family, good friends and happy with her career as a thoracic practitioner nurse. But when he...
38 3 4
CHAPTER 5 OUT SUNDAY!!! Serena Hansen is a very nonchalant girl, she's quick with insults, uncaring about everything except for her loved ones and g...
6.4K 297 23
Just a week before she was supposed to get married 20 year old Summer's fiance calls off the wedding and leaves town with one of her best friends. Fe...