His Emancipatorđź–¤ [His Duet #...

By alphabarbieee

"You're so soft baby" he murmurs. "I wish I could say the same about your dick." I exclaim. An enticing smile... More

BOOK PLAYLIST
Author's Note and Character Aesthetics
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE.
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE.
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE.
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY ONE
CHAPTER FORTY TWO
CHAPTER FORTY THREE.
CHAPTER FORTY FOUR
CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY SIX
CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY NINE
EPILOGUE
Author's note and Spinoff announcement

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

34 4 2
By alphabarbieee

From the Niger delta, to all the corners of Africa, America and the world. Black people are turning the tables, taking back our place; we will be heard because we matter.

~An excerpt from the song above~

Thursday morning, I have everything ready. I've finally found Lucas' location at the expense of four sleepless nights but who cares? I'll be leaving this shit hole of a job by Saturday midnight.

Today I arrived at work thirty minutes early. I plan on seeing Roach to break the news. I know for a fact none of my coworkers have found Lucas' location. Not even the high and mighty Peter.

If he did he wouldn't have hesitated to gloat in my face. He sees me as a competition I see him as a nagging mosquito, only good at making unnecessary noise. I am my own competition. I'm so proud of myself.

I don't think I've ever been this excited to see Roach. I even wore my best black pant suit and stilettos. I was aiming for the professional look and I think I nailed it.

"That grin tells me two things; either you and Darelle finally kissed or you finally found Lucas. I'm hoping it's both" Kira says from beside.

"Good morning to you too Kira"

"I hate greetings. Now please tell me you and Darelle finally got something going on" her enthusiastic voice squeals.

"Nothing happened between us woman" In fact I haven't heard from him since Sunday morning when I tried asking him what made him spend the night at my house and he replied with 'nothing', gave me a weak smile and hurriedly left after that. He didn't even wait to eat breakfast. Rude. I know.

"Ouch and here I was looking through Pinterest for good godmother clothes to wear to a baptism"

I arch my brows concern "You know I'm not even surprised you'd do that"

She grins "I mean can you blame me? When was the last time you saw a dick let alone have it inside you? This thing between you and Darelle is starting to look like a slow burn romance book"

I sigh "I'm not gonna talk about how your brain works right now. Anyway I'm happy coz I finally found Lucas. I worked my ass off day and night and I finally did."

A happy proud smile curves her lips. She hugs me from behind "I'm so proud of you K, I could cry right now."

"Except you don't cry"

"Yeap, I don't have enough fluids in me to waste on tears"

"But you can waste it on orgasms" I mutter lowly.

"I heard that" she slaps my back.

I flinch away "Ouch that hurt you animal"

"I'm patting your back for you. Literally"

"Dude go back downstairs I need to practice my Roach speech"

She raises her hands in surrender "Okay fine. Good luck sis! Break a leg. Not literally though because I'd have to spend the rest of my life nursing you and dickless. I'm not a nun you know"

"Kira Go" I slightly shout.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm trekking to Roach's office. I called the FBI agent who helped connect me with the airport police and TSA. He'll be here soon. I can't trust Roach on this because I know he'll try to let Peter take the credit. I'd rather have a third party there.

My knock is followed by a bored "Enter" Yeah I'm not happy being here too Roach.

I slide into his office to find him behind his desk typing furiously on the keyboard. "Bakari whatever you're here to talk about better be good"

He lifts his head to give me a once over. The scowl on his face apparent. Damn this man really doesn't like me. Good thing the feeling is mutual.

"I found Lucas' location" I go straight to the point and he has the audacity to scoff petulantly.

"Well whether you believe it or not, I did find Lucas location and I'm the only one who can help you"

He lets out a defeated sigh "Well where is he Keilee?" he really has little faith in me.

"No I'm not telling you anything until Jim gets here" I sit on his guest chair just to drive the point home.

"Jim from FBI?" he asks the obvious.

I roll my eyes "yes Jim from FBI" who knocks on the door after my statement.

Jim who is in his mid-forties walks in and takes the seat next to mine.

"Morning Keilee, Roach" he greets. Our gruff voices reply a "morning" in return.

"So shall we get started? Lucas is in Congo"

"And how did you find that out?" Comes Roach's irritated voice.

I shrug "I visited his mom, installed a spyware on her phone. On Monday he called her but I couldn't trace the phone's location. On Tuesday, she called him and I think it was at the wrong time because he was annoyed with her calling him. He was also around too much noise, like a market area.

"Ofcourse he hanged up seconds later. After that I listened closely to the background noise and I managed to catch the word Mbote, it is a Lingala word for Hello.

"I listened again and again until I realized the language being spoken was truly Lingala. I know only Congo broadly speaks Lingala. I communicated with Jim and he said he'd help me contact the airport security.

"They agreed to allow me to look into their cctv videos of around the time Lucas fled. I figured he couldn't have left the country without being spotted by TSA. So there was only one other way he could have left the country." I pause for good measure.

"Get to the point Bakari" Roach states from across the table. How I wish he was as silent as the black suit wearing man beside me.

"He must've had a fake passport and hid his identity somehow. I've seen most terrorists pass through airports wearing burqas. I searched through all the women who were dressed in burqa and were going to Congo around that time.

"I had to do an iris recognition on every woman wearing a burqa and finally yesterday I managed to find Lucas' eyes. That and when I looked through his family photos when I was at his home, I realized he had a tattoo on his middle finger. I recognized it and that's how I knew I'd found him"

Roach looks as annoyed as he was when I started explaining while Jim flashes me an 'you did so well Keilee' smile.

"The investigation came with sleepless nights but I believe it was worth it. I might have also hacked into Kinshasa international Airport's cctvs and found that he did arrive there. Although I have an inkling he might be hiding among the M23 rebels right now"

"Here's the hard drive with everything in it" I place it on the desk.

"Thank you Keilee that was so intelligent of you. I don't think many people would have been that broad minded" Jim says, his tone pleased.

"Thanks Jim. I really want that FBI spot"

He stands up from his seat extending his hand to me. "Well congratulations Keilee the spot will soon be yours. I look forward to working with you"

I take his arm "You too Jim"

"I have to be on my way though. I'll see you on Saturday?"

"Yes you definitely will"

He bids the agitated Roach before he walks out.

"If you're done, you can see yourself out" Roach's tight voice spits.

"Oh I will. One thing though, I do expect to be named as the person joining the FBI on Saturday" I express before walking out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me: Hey you coming to the party tomorrow?

Darelle: Yeah

Me: Great. I'm done with your case so I guess we'll discuss the basics then.

Darelle: K

That K makes me unnerved. I mean who still texts like that. He didn't even Hey me back. Or maybe he's been avoiding me because I saw him at his weakest last Saturday. Either way I'll see him tomorrow and I'll ask him what's up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look myself in the mirror for probably the millionth time. The black V-neck double breasted suit dress hugs every curve of my body. I've paired it with white strappy heels and Kira's Gucci handbag. Yes, she finally gave it to me. Okay fine I stole it from her.

I undid my braids and gelled my hair. It is tied into a high pony and an extension dangles on my back.

The party is being held at a luxurious hotel downtown. Kira and I agreed we'll meet there.

"Hey Cheyanne" I greet when I reach the lobby.

"Hey you look delicious" she compliments.

"Thanks Annie"

"The British in me knows Princess Kate would be jealous if she saw you right now"

"What if I told you I bought this at one of the brands she buys her coat dresses"

"Then I'd totally believe you"

"Okay I have to go. Marta said she'll be running late today. So give her this key once she stops by" I hand Cheyanne my house key before I leave for the parking.

It takes me approximately fifteen minutes to get to the hotel. Once I've parked, I step into the warm ballroom. The gilded 30 feet ceilings hold crystal chandeliers that flash light across the room incorporating with the blackout curtains on the floor to ceiling windows to keep the looming darkness at bay.

The room is filled with the police department some of which I've never seen without their cop uniforms. My heels barely clink on the carpeted flooring as I walk deeper into the ballroom. I pick a glass of champagne from one of the servers.

If I'm going to endure such a night, I think I need the liquid courage. The ballroom's lavish beauty is undeniable. Slow piano music plays from somewhere in the room whilst guests stand next to the light blue draped round tables, mingling with champagne filled glasses in their hands.

I scan the room for Kira and once I spot her, I quickly walk over. She is talking to the cute detective she's been dreaming about. Quite literally.

When she spots me, she whispers something to the hot detective and strides towards me. "Girl you look scrumptious absolutely divine" she accolades.

"Thanks you're not so bad yourself" I say gesturing to her black embellished halter neck gown.

"Thanks baby girl. Though I'm just here for you. I can't wait to see my best friend get that FBI badge"

"Well I hope so. In thirty minutes" I remark eyeing around the room.

"If you're looking for Darelle he's not here yet" she states knowingly.

"Well in that case I need another drink. If he'll be bringing the devil with him then I might need several"

She pats my arm "Knock yourself out sister"

"On second thought I think I've wanted to be fancy for a long time" I stop one of the male servers "Excuse me can I get a glass of water please"

"Yes ma'am what's your preference?"

"Sparkling" I respond with a small smile.

"Okay give me a minute" he says before walking away.

"How long have you been thinking of that?" my best friend asks.

"You have no idea"

The server brings the water after a minute. I thank him. I regret asking for the water the second it touches my tongue.

I aggressively spit it out "Fucking hell. Tastes like Satan's urine"

"Eeew what the hell bitch!" An angry feminine voice shrieks. I know that voice.

A fuming Madison stands there, her strapless dark grey jumpsuit soaked in my spit. A very handsome Darelle stands next to her in a black tuxedo.

"Urgh now I have to go clean this up" she hisses, angrily walking to the washrooms.

"Hey Darelle. Bye Darelle. I'm just gonna go stand somewhere else" Kira remarks also walking away.

"So drink Satan's urine often?" Darelle jests, a wry grin forming on his face.

"Shut up I was trying to accentuate the disgusting taste of sparkling water. Seriously how do people even stomach this shit?"

"You're weird"

"Actually why are you even talking to me? You don't get to ignore me the whole week and now act like we've been talking nonstop" I complain.

Darelle emits a saddened sigh "You have no idea Zuri" he says, his voice octave lower.

His slumped shoulders and low head tell me everything I need to know. Things are not good. I need to get the Crappers out of his life.

Trying to lighten his mood, I say "The evidence is ready. It's now up to you to tell me when you're ready to reveal Crapper's crimes"

"Actually I was thinking I'd say I hired a PI. You know just in case your job is threatened"

"That's fine by me Darelle. As long as it brings mayor and Roach down"

Our conversation is cut off by Crapper's voice in the speakers. I tune him out and all the other heads of department that go on stage to give an account of their year. Or so I think.

When Roach finally gets to that stage, I'm a nervous wreck. My heart pounds so hard it feels like it's gonna force its way out through my throat. The anxiety pooling at the pit of my stomach leaves an icky feeling within me. Get it together Keilee. This is what you've been working for.

The only words I can register from Roach are, "And the person from IT who'll be joining the FBI is..." Why is he pausing? Dude is so dramatic over nothing.

"Congratulations Peter Anderson" comes the loud voice.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!? Time freezes as I try to come to terms with what just came out of Roach's mouth. My mouth dries, the lack of any coherent words visible. Did I hear him right or is this some sort of joke? You heard right babe.

Darelle seems to be tense beside me too. Kira comes up on my other side. "Babe are you okay?"

I can feel tears form at the corners of my eyes. What did I ever do wrong to this man? I worked my ass off in that case only for him to credit someone else for it? Oh fuck it. This ends today.

Once Roach is off the stage, I sprint after him, fuming. "What the fuck Roach" I snap. Seaman as usual is standing next to him.

"What's wrong Keilee is it that time of the month?" Seaman chuckles. The mockery in his tone clear.

"As a matter of fact, yes Frederick I am oozing blood out of my vagina right now so you better shut your receding-hairline-self right now before I shove my tampon down your larynx" I spit. I'm on my last day but still.

His mortified expression proves that he already regrets blabbing out.

I turn my attention back to Roach "Roach what the hell is wrong with you? You wanna know how that case took a toll on me? Because I can name how"

"Keilee listen" he starts, no regret in his words or face.

"Shut up Mark, for one because your mouth smells like Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment and two because I am not done talking" Oh I am on a rampage, this man has no idea.

Our confrontation has drawn the attention of a small crowd but I don't give a shit. They have no idea the anger I'm feeling right now.

"I came to your office, gave you the hard drive with my work in it and you come here and name useless Peter as the new FBI member?"

"Listen Keilee this is for the best. Besides you were not what they were looking for at the moment. And anyway Seaman is going into early retirement; you'll take his place after he leaves" The audacity of this misogynistic, racist prick.

I scoff "Who said I want his position? Oh my God y'all don't get it do you? Where the hell is Jim anyway?" Just when I ask, he comes up beside Seaman.

"Jim you were there. You know I worked for this"

He has an apologetic expression on his face "Keilee... I'm sorry but everything was out of my hands."

"Keilee you're a good computer expert I'm sure there'll be another opening in the FBI" Roach chimes in.

"You know what? Enough of your mansplaining. Roach you're a huge asshole. I know everything that's happened was your doing.

"You are the worst boss to ever walk the earth and consequently I pity anyone who gets the burden of working under you. I should've known your lack of hair was a red flag. Somehow it comes with an empty head"

"Watch how you speak to me Bakari. I'm still your boss"

"No you're not because I quit. You will get the formal resignation on Monday. And mark my words Mark Roach, when your downfall comes-and it will come soon-i will relish in it. Until then, fuck you Roach"

Fuck I did it, I just quit my job and it feels liberating.

"I quit too" Kira says. I've been so engrossed in my rage I forgot she followed me when I went after Roach.

"No you can't do that Kira" I protest.

"Hey I can. Don't forget I'm a woman, more so a woman of color. What's to say what they've done to you won't be done to me next?"

"But you love forensics"

"Not more than I love you K. Besides my dad has been asking me to go work for him since forever"

I give her a side hug "You're a darling Kira but I need to get out of here. I feel suffocated"

We walk away from the trio "Want me to drive you home?"

"No I'll be fine. Go to your hot detective and have a time of your life" I nudge her towards him.

"I can take you" a deep voice mumbles in my ear. It's Darelle of course.

"You're forgetting you brought a date"

He shrugs "She can handle herself"

"If you say so"

"You were pretty brave back there." He compliments as we head to the exit.

"And I didn't even shed a tear. How courageous of me" I pat myself on the back. Literally.

A ghost of a smile lifts at the corner of his lips "Yeah I'm proud of you" Aww now I wanna cry.

"Wait here I'll bring the car around. I parked across the street"

"You didn't give the valet?"

"Naah my laptop is in there. I don't trust anyone around it. It has all your case files" I clarify.

"Fair enough"

I cross the street to go get my car though the next thing I hear is Darelle's voice shouting "Zuri No!" followed by the hurl of my body. Fuck that hurt. My whole body throbs from pain. That's when I realize I've been hit by a car and I'm lying on the hard cold ground. I can't move anything.

Darelle's kneels beside me "Zuri look at me" I hear his desperate voice call out. But I can't it hurts too much.

"Call the ambulance" I barely register his voice shout to someone.

"Zuri keep your eyes open the ambulance will be here soon" he begs.

I try so hard "D I... I can't. Everything hurts" even breathing is proving to be difficult for my lungs to accomplish. I can't do this.

"Just try for me Zuri please" he whispers. I feel tears drop on my forehead.

"I...I... It's been a glorious ride Darelle and my greatest honor"

"No don't fucking quote Elijah right now. You're not dying Zuri or I swear to God I'll kill us both." He threatens.

I grimace "You watched tvdu?" My vision is getting blurry but I just wanna see his face one last time.

"Of course I watched it"

"That's...that's really great Darelle" I raise my hand to wipe away the tears on his cheek. Although I see two Darelles, I manage to stroke it.

"No don't close your eyes Princess. I can hear the ambulance sirens just hold on" grant him a faint smile "Re...remember when I said what could go wrong?" he doesn't reply. He's so handsome even when teary and frantic.

"Well a lot just did" are my last words followed by a stern "Zuri No!" and then complete darkness. Pitch black darkness.

                                                          ~THE END~

A/N

Lmao just kidding don't come at me😭💀

So the chapter ended on a sad note. Thoughts?

Petition to end Roach's life?

Anyway thanks for reading

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

531K 24.5K 33
*COMPLETED* Catherine Cavenon is as broke as it gets. Working long hours at a night club earns her just enough to last a week. Unable to pay rent or...
217 27 16
Behind Kinsley Rife's habit of smiles and random thoughts, Kinsley fights her internally demons as she tries her best to find the peace she's looking...
122K 2.4K 65
What's home, if not the first place you run away from? What's love, if not that unexplainable, blazing feeling which comes after a period of hate? R...
1.4M 49.1K 67
Kinda meant to be cliche and corny "I never said that this life was going to be all sunshine and rainbows, baby." "I never expected that, baby" I mo...