The Royal Romance

By Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 16

33 2 0
By Norris099

It's the evening of the Beaumont Bash. Riley has just finished dressing up in the outfit she chose with Maxwell that morning when there's a knock on the door... 

"Riley, guess what time it is?" 

"Time to impress?" 

"Oh, look at you! You look fantastic! Way to represent House Beaumont." 

"Well, it's a big night. I don't want to miss a thing." 

"If he were here, Bertrand might shed a tear..." 

"Right before ordering me to do something else." 

"Actually, he beat you to it. He already ordered me to escort you." 

"Escort me? Where?" 

"It's a surprise." 

Maxwell leads Riley through the manor... and into a boutique. 

"The boutique? But what--" 

"I need to oversee a few adjustments to the ballroom decorations. Be your charming self in here." Maxwell quickly exits the room. 

Just then, a dressing room door opens, and Prince Liam steps out. 

"Liam!" Riley rushes over to him and he grabs her hand." 

"Lady Riley, what a coincidence running into you." 

"It's interesting. I was told to wait here... even though I'm already dressed." 

"I think perhaps someone is trying to give us some alone time together." 

"Well, I'm not complaining. I like the results." 

"I do too. You look like a princess." 

"Oh, you know what they say, 'dress for the job you want.'" 

"I couldn't think of a better look for one." 

"And is this what you're wearing tonight?"

"I was just deciding that now..." 

"Since we're hosting, you could dress to match me." 

"That could cause quite a stir." 

"It'd be a public way to show how close we are." 

"It would... but it'd be also a bold move." 

"I'm a fan of all bold moves, so I insist. People can blame me for the fallout."

"Alright, I'm game." 

The Prince talks to the boutique's seamstress. A short time later, he comes out of the dressing room in a white tux and blue bowtie. 

"You look great." 

"I can't deny that this is one of the finest suits I've ever worn... and the fact that you like it makes it even better." 

"We look so cute together!" 

"I'll see you tonight at the party, Lady Riley. Until then." 

Liam bows before walking out the door. Maxwell emerges from the other room. 

"Whew, those were SOME adjustments that needed overseeing..." 

"Uh-huh. Maxwell... was that just an elaborate ploy you and Bertrand put together to get me alone with Liam?" 

"Whaaat? Us? It's not like we're sponsoring you to win the Prince's hand or anything. That'd be silly. By the way, I couldn't help but notice that Prince Charming matches our Cinderella... you two look good together..." 

"Thanks." 

"Now, I do actually want to escort you to the ballroom. The party's starting soon, and as hosts, we should be there to greet everyone." 

Riley and Maxwell walk into the ballroom. The luxurious cloth-draped tables have been neatly arranged and decorated with candles and flower bouquets. The plates and silverware gleam under the soft glow of the lights. 

"Wow... it really came together!" 

"I'm sure Bertrand's pleased with the work... moderately, at least." 

Riley walks past the tables. On a dais where the head table sits, she sees an open binder with a diagram of the room inside. 

"Is that the seating chart?" 

"Sure is. Bertrand must've arranged everyone already. He's already put you next to Prince Liam, the King, and the Queen, so that's ready to go." 

Riley scans through the names of the guests and comes across Olivia's. She taps her name on the chart, "You know... through all the hustle of yesterday, I never had the chance to give the seating arrangements my... um, approval." 

"Approval? Oooh, that approval. I remember what Olivia did to you back at her estate. A little payback wouldn't hurt. Let's see... she's currently sitting with Madeleine, Penelope, and Kiara. Bertrand wanted to cut her off from Prince Liam, but respectfully leave her up front with the other noble ladies." 

"We should leave her be. You know, I'm over what she did." 

"Bertrand will thank you for keeping the peace." 

"No, he won't." 

"Well, I'm thanking you on his behalf." 

Just then, the clock in the ballroom strikes the hour, and Bertrand comes over to Maxwell and Riley, grinning widely. 

"Bertrand, you look uncharacteristically happy." 

"Why wouldn't I be? We're showing off the splendor of House Beaumont... and fortune willing, it's also our chance to show the court just how well the Prince and Lady Riley are suited right before the Coronation... if everything goes well, tonight will be a grand accomplishment. So places, you two! Guests will be let in, and we should greet them with a smile!" 

Bertrand walks to the door of the ballroom and throws them open. The room comes to life as guests arrive, and servers distribute drinks and appetizers. 

"It's been a while since I've seen Bertrand so happy. It kind of reminds me of how it used to be... who knows, we might even see FUN Bertrand tonight!" 

"Maxwell, now that I want to see!" 

"Heh. Honestly, it means a lot to see him in such good spirits. Let's make this night one to remember!" 

"Right!" 

As guests stream in, Riley sees Drake. 

"Welcome to the Beaumont Bash... you'll recognize some of these fine floral arrangements as yours!" 

"Brooks! You look..." 

"Yes?" 

"...Ready for the party. Everything here really came together." 

"I know, right? Though... you don't look like you're dressed for the occasion."

"You don't like my look? This shirt's clean." 

"I guess that's the most I expect. I don't think I've ever seen you dress up for these fancy events. It might be a nice change of pace." 

"Eh. Fashion is subjective. Besides, people are here to see the Prince, not me." 

Riley shakes her head as Hana bounces over. 

"Riley! Maxwell! I've never been to the Beaumont estate before. This looks wonderful." 

"Thank you, Hana..." 

"And Riley! You look amazing!" 

"Thank you. As always Hana, you look lovely too." 

A server comes near the group, handing out the caviar-and-paprika appetizers. 

"Our creations!" Maxwell claps his hands. 

"I hope people like them..." 

Kiara looks down at the food, "Uhh... what is this dish?" 

"What you have there is a deconstructed delicacy of caviar cultivated from pampered hake fish of the Swedish fjords with paprika harvested from a micro-nursery in Province." 

"Wow... so fancy... I like them! Spicy, salty, and definitely unique!" Penelope finishes the rest of her appetizers with a smile on her face. 

"Mmmm... it reminds me of when I dined at the top of la tour Eiffel in Paris! Did you use the same chef?" Kiara's eyes widen and she grabs Maxwell's arm. 

"Somone comparable." Maxwell turns back to Riley, "Well, the reactions to our appetizers seen mostly positive." 

"They like the food? We put our blood, sweat, and tears into those! They should enjoy them." 

"That doesn't sound very sanitary," Hana examines the food and has a look of fear in her eyes. 

"No, no Hana, it's an expression." Drake eases her mind and they both chuckle. 

"Besides, it's not like we made the food..." Riley looks over to Maxwell and Drake and winks. 

"I think it tastes great!" Hana smiles at Riley and laughs.

"Thanks. Er... I mean, I'll let the chef know." Riley smiles, but it fades as Lady Madeleine and Lady Olivia enter together, "Duchess Olivia... Countess Madeleine... welcome." Riley bows and curtsies as they enter. 

"Lady Riley. Don't you look... well... nice. And the Beaumonts have certainly outdone themselves." Madeleine bows her head as a sign of respect. 

"Yes, Riley, this isn't exactly as tacky an affair as I'd imagined it would be... "Olivia crosses her arms and gives her a small grin. 

"I'll take those as a compliment." 

"As you should. Now, let's get this evening over with... where's the wine?" Olivia searches around the room and brushes past Riley. 

Madeleine lingers, looking at Prince Liam sitting at his table upfront before turning to Riley, "You must be feeling pretty smug." 

"I don't know what you're talking about Madeleine." 

"I've been hearing rumors that you've become front runner-up into the Coronation." 

"Madeleine, it's not a race." 

"Isn't it though? In a way?" 

"No. It's about the Prince and who he wants to marry."

"...Right. Masterful, stroke by the way." 

"What?" 

"The Prince is wearing something from the House Beaumont collection. I recognize the label. You truly look like you belong together..." 

"Madeleine, may the best woman win." 

"Yes. The BEST woman." 

As Madeleine walks away, Bertrand stands up on the dais to address the attendees, "Welcome, everyone. If you'll please take your seats, dinner will begin shortly." 

Drake leans over to Riley, "That's my cue, I have a seat in the back, so I'll see you after dinner." 

Hana scurries past, "And I'd better go and take my seat with the other ladies." 

"I wish we could all sit together." Riley hangs her head in defeat, but Drake grabs her attention. 

"Don't look so disappointed, Brooks, you're sitting with royalty! I learned a long time ago I don't fit in there. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to handle one dinner without us." 

"Right..." 

Hana puts her hand on Riley's arm to reassure her, "We'll catch up later!" 

Riley takes her seat at the head of the table, Liam sitting to her left, with Bertrand on her right and as the King and Queen are seated beside the Prince, the servers come out bearing the main course... 

"Oh, chicken cordon bleu! This is my favorite, Duke Ramsford. How did you know?" 

"I didn't your Majesty. But I asked the chef to prepare what he thought the classiest meal should be... apparently, you have exquisite taste." 

"The food is delicious, the wine excellent, and the setting is magnificent, Duke Ramsford. You do your house proud." The King bows his head and Bertrand smiles. 

"It's kind of you to say that, sir. I regret we could only host you for one night..." 

"It can't be helped with the social season coming to an end. We must return to the palace." 

Riley sighs, "I can't believe the Coronation is coming up so soon." 

"Yes, Liam will soon have a lot of choices to make." Bertrand looks at both of them and Liam looks back at Riley. 

 "I'm feeling confident about my decisions." He smiles which causes Riley to grin. 

"Are you now? Have you already made up your mind about the lady you wish to marry?" Queen Regina leans into Liam with an excited smile. 

"Well..." 

"Now, now." King Constantine interrupts Liam, "He shouldn't reveal that until the Coronation... it wouldn't be proper..." 

"If you were chosen, Lady Riley, do you feel like you'd be ready to marry?" Queen Regina leans over to her and Riley smiles at her. 

"It wouldn't be a cakewalk being married to Liam." The King lets out a laugh and Riley stares back at Liam as they gaze at each other. 

"Of course, she'd be ready." Bertrand blurts out. 

"Duke Ramsford, no need to answer for her." They all begin to stare at Riley. 

"Oh, I'd be ready for marriage because it's all about love. I care for Liam." 

"A romantic answer. Love is a good foundation, but it takes more than just love for a marriage to work. Especially since you'd be marrying the crown Prince." 

"I know how Liam is, your Majesty." 

"You do." Liam smiles at Riley once more. 

Riley continues to socialize with the Royals over the next course of dinner until she finishes with dessert. 

"What a delightful meal that was." Queen Regina gives a nod to Riley, Maxwell, and Bertrand. 

Maxwell bows his head back and smiles, "Dessert makes everything better." 

"As does good company." Liam takes Riley's hand and they smile and laugh again. 

The King looks from the pair of them to the Queen and takes her hand, "I remember being young once." 

"I always feel young when I'm with you." 

"Oh, my dear. When it's all said and done, I hope Liam makes the right choice." 

Bertrand chimes in, "That's what we all hope for, sir." He dabs his mouth with his napkin, then stands, gathering everyone's attention by tapping his glass, "Citizens, nobles, and friends. We've gathered here today to celebrate the end of the social season. So if you'll hear me out, I'd like to share a few words." 

Maxwell nudges Riley, nodding to the back of the staircase, "It's time to pick our weapons. You and I are gonna saber some champagne!" 

While Bertrand continues his speech, Maxwell and Riley sneak behind the staircase to the wall of weapons. A couple of bottles of champagne lie next to the displays. Riley picks up a dagger and holds it delicately in her hands. 

"Sleek and precise." 

Maxwell lifts a flail from the wall. They hear the end of Bertrand's toast, "... and so, with all of House Beaumont with me, let us propose a toast!" 

"That's our cue." Maxwell grabs Riley's hand and leads her out to go up the stairs with weapons and champagne in hand. 

"To our gracious Royal family..." 

"To all those here tonight!" Maxwell shouts out. 

"And all those out there looking for love! Wherever you are in life, if you're looking for love, may you find it!" Riley grins and looks over at Liam who is partly blushing. 

"To love!" Maxwell swings the flail into the champagne bottle, shattering it entirely. 

"We've never let a lost bottle stop us before. Bring out another!" Bertrand smiles and gestures for another bottle. 

"WOOOOO!" 

Riley swings, slicing the top of the bottle. Champagne foams out, dripping onto the stairs. 

Bertrand addresses the crowd once more, "From all of us at House Beaumont... thank you!" 

Everyone cheers as the servers rush forward to hand out glasses of champagne to everyone. Maxwell runs to the top of the stairs. 

"Bring out the blindfolds! Find my bow and arrow! Put an apple on the bust of my great-grandfather!" Maxwell runs to the other side of the room. 

Bertrand then turns to Riley with a giant grin 

"Wait? You're smiling? Does this mean we're about to see fun Bertrand?" 

Bertrand just simply smiles at Riley and picks up an open bottle of champagne, taking a big swig, "Maxwell!" 

Maxwell comes running in from the other room holding a bushel of apples, "What?" 

"Let the revelry begin!" 

"AWWWWW YEAH! Music blasts from the sound system as Maxwell slide down the railing. From the doorways leading into the room, professional dancers and acrobats stream in! "I hope you're ready. 'Cause, the Maxwell Special is in the house!" He moonwalks onto the middle of the floor to the music's increasing tempo, "I am the myth... the man... the legend. Witness me!" He then drops into a flurry of break dance moves. 

Walking down the stairs, Riley links up with Liam, Drake, and Hana. 

"It's been less than two minutes, and my ears hurt." Drake covers his ears and rolls his eyes. 

"Come on, Drake." Liam nudges his arm, "You usually give it at least five minutes before tapping out." 

"There's so much happening." Hana looks around the rooms at all the different things to do but can't focus on just one. 

"That's the problem." Drake turns to walk away when Bertrand bursts into the hallway. 

"Bring out the horses!" 

"The horses!? You're bringing horses in here!?" Riley exclaims as she watches the servants bring in two beautiful steeds. 

"Who's ready for a little horse riding?" Bertrand scans the room looking for his first victim. 

"I am!" Maxwell runs up and mounts one of the horses. "Who will be my partner?" 

"How about our king-to-be?" Bertrand points at Liam and he respectfully backs up. 

"I nominate Drake as my proxy." Liam pushes Drake up and he backs up more. 

"Oh, no. You're not forcing me into the saddle tonight." 

"I vote for Riley!" Hana shouts out and pulls her forward. 

Bertrand grins and motions her to come forward, "Come on up then, Lady Riley. Your saddle awaits." 

One of the house staff leads out Marabelle's Dream and she lets out a neigh. Riley walks up to her, petting her nose as she puts her head in the crevice of her arms. She mounts her, "Hey, girl. I missed you." Riley rides around the room with Maxwell, waving at the partygoers. "My fellow Cordonians, today, I ride for Cordonia!" 

Everyone then chimes in chanting for Cordonia. Drake shakes his head while looking annoyed. 

Maxwell then nudges Riley, "We should let some others ride around on the horses. Don't worry. Nobody else will ride Marabelle's Dream. She's yours." 

"Fair enough." Riley dismounts and return to the party. She feels a gentle tap on her shoulder and turns to find Liam. 

"Riley, I'm glad I caught you..." 

"Always happy to be caught. Is something on your mind?" 

"We'll be traveling back to the capitol within the week, and the Coronation will be held soon after... we won't get as much time to see each other but I wanted to do something special for us... well, for you." 

"Like what?" 

"My plan is a relaxing massage in the spa room along with candles, a jet tub..." he leans down to whisper in Riley's ear, "and me." 

"There's a spa room?" 

"Clearly, you haven't had any downtime since you arrived.  It's on the third floor. I was hoping you could jo--" 

"Liam, there you are!" Olivia interrupts them, "Don't forget that you promised me a drink..." 

Liam smiles apologetically, "Lady Riley if you'll excuse me." He kisses her on the cheek and whispers once more, "If you can, meet me later." 

"We'll see if I can get away." 

He nods and departs with Olivia 

The party rages into the night... 

Later... 

Fragments of split apple litter the floor. The bust of Maxwell's great-grandfather is riddled with cracks and chips. An arrow protrudes from his eye, while the apple on his head remains unscathed. 

"Too much... too... much... je ne me sens pas bien," Kiara says while lying beside a corner of the room. 

"You know, horse. You and I have so much in common. Hair, bodies, and adoration for poodles. You're like my equine soulmate," Penelope says while draping her arms around a horse. 

"We gave those apples what for," Bertrand says while he's sitting against a column, holding a sword in one hand and an empty bottle of champagne in the other. 

In the middle of the carnage, Maxwell continues to dance, "Break it down. Nice and slow." 

"Maxwell, you're still going?"

"If I stop, then the party stops. It's like that Louis the fourteenth quote, 'I am the party.' How you're feeling? I hope it wasn't too hard on you." 

"I feel so-so. A party that rocks you to your core also drains you to your core." 

"Truer words have rarely been spoken." 

Drake stumbles toward them, "It's over. I'm finally free." 

"What do you mean 'it's over'? The party is just getting started." 

"Maxwell, Lady Penelope is literally talking to a horse. The party has done its job." 

They all glance over at Penelope still in a daze, "Your mane is so soft. You have to tell me who does your hair." 

Riley chuckles and looks back at Drake and Maxwell, "Back home, this was always about the time we'd break out a game of Truth or Dare, but I bet you guys are too classy for that!" 

"You'd be getting wrong! I love Truth or Dare." Maxwell comes off the dance floor. 

"'Truth or Dare'?" Hana pops up from the empty glasses and walks over to them, "That sounds dangerous..." 

"Well, only if you have something to hide... or a fear of embarrassing stunts." Riley pokes her and chuckles. 

"It sounds like fun." 

"I can't believe you've never played! Now we've got to do it." 

"Oh no." Drake starts to inch away, "I'm not playing Truth or Dare." 

"Come on, Drake," Riley pulls him back down, "We should do it for Hana." 

"I wouldn't want to pressure you guys into doing something on my behalf." 

"But I would! Do it! Do it!" Maxwell tugs in Hana and she smiles. 

"I see where this is going..." Drake rolls his eyes and settles in, "Okay... fine. I'll play, just stop chanting." 

"Whoohoo! Someone's going streaking tonight!" 

"We can play in my room!" Hana, Drake, and Maxwell head off... 

Riley gazes at the stairwell and thinks about joining Liam in the spa but also wants to play Truth or Dare with Maxwell, Drake, and Hana. So she decides to do both but decides to join Liam first in the spa and then play Truth or Dare. 

She wanders up the stairs and goes up the third-floor landing, searching for the spa room

"Liam?" 

She walks past a door when someone catches her in their arms... 

"Riley..." she looks up to find Liam and wraps her arms around him. "I hope I didn't surprise you... I came out to find you since I wasn't sure if you knew where to go..." 

She snuggles into his embrace, "I'm not really complaining... but maybe we should get out of the hall." 

"This way." He takes her hand and leads her through a door a short distance away... 

...and into a tranquil, quiet spa room where candles flicker softly and sweet music plays. 

"Wow... I had no idea this was here. If only I'd asked Maxwell to be more thorough on the house tour... this is beautiful Liam. You keep doing all these nice things for me." 

"You deserve them." 

"But then how would we make it into the hot tub? You should relax in the hot water for a few minutes before a massage." He takes her hand and leads her over to a steaming tub scented with fragrant jasmine flowers. He starts to unbutton his blazer. 

"Let me do that." Riley helps Liam out of his blazer, and then his shirt, running her hands along his chest as she exposes his skin... "Mm, yeah, this is way more fun..." 

"I'm certainly not complaining..." His arms come around Riley as she snuggles against him. 

"We won't make it into the tub at this rate..." 

"And that won't do... come on." He climbs into the tub. 

Riley peels off her dress and slips into the tub with him wearing her bra and underwear. She sighs, submerging herself into the steaming water. Liam wraps his around me. "Ahhhhh... this was a phenomenal idea." 

"Yeah, I thought it'd be nice to experience some calm before the storm..." 

"The storm? Is the Coronation going to be that crazy?" 

"Preparations for it will be hectic, to say the least... there'll be tasks to coordinate, speeches to write, people to meet..." 

"Sounds like you're the one who could use the massage." 

"I'm not going to lie... I could use one. But I wanted tonight to be about you." 

"Tonight can be about both of us. How many more moments are we going to have like this? I want to make the most of it. Besides, I give a pretty excellent massage." 

"Another of your many talents?" 

"Yeah, it is. Along with my secret talent of being an amazing lover."

"Oh?" 

"Maybe I'll demonstrate sometime if you're lucky... now about that massage..." Riley slips behind Liam and starts kneading his shoulders and neck. "Wow, it's like trying to soften rocks back here..." 

"Perhaps I have been carrying around a lot lately." 

"It's probably the crown. Literally. How much does yours weigh? I saw a photo of your dad wearing his, and it looks heavy." 

"It is heavy. That's on purpose. You're supposed to feel the weight of your responsibility." 

"Wow, good thing I offered to help out. You would've fallen over at the Coronation if you'd gotten any tenser." 

They both started to laugh and Liam turns around pulling Riley close to him, "You always have a unique way of looking at the world." 

"That's me. Unique..." 

The Prince relaxes as Riley let her fingers trail over his bare skin, "Let me return the favor." He stands and draws her up, handing her a towel. After they both dry off, he leads her over to a massage table. "Here, lay down and relax..." 

"This bed is so soft." She lies facedown as he rubs his hands with sweet-smelling massage oil and runs a firm hand down her back. She lets out a soft moan and relaxes under the pressure. His hands move over her, massaging the knots from her legs, her arms... "Oh wow, that feels great..." 

Finally, he returns to her back, brushing her hair out of the way... she feels her skin tingle where his fingers run down the length of her spine... she suddenly sits up and reaches for him, pulling him into a deep kiss. 

"Riley..." 

He then sinks into the kiss, his hands warming her skin as they wrap around her and wander down her back 

"Liam.." 

His mouth moves down her neck, gently biting... "This has been on my mind all day... having you here... with me..." 

"You really restrained yourself..." 

"I try... but it's proving more and more difficult." He groans as Riley slides her legs off the table, one on each side of him. His arms tighten around her waist, pressing even closer... 

"Nothing's holding you back now..." 

He kisses her, long, deep, wanting... and Riley responds, arching into him... then he steps away from her, breathing hard, "That's not entirely true... even though I want you, Riley... we shouldn't..." 

"Liam, why don't we go further?" 

"Trust me, I want to... I want a lot of things." 

"Me too." 

"And I intend for us to have them. But when we do... I want it to be perfect for you. Soon, there won't be anything in the way... no lingering questions, no other women to worry about... and then, oh the plans I have for us, Lady Riley..." 

"I'm holding you to that..." 

He holds her against him, pressing a kiss into her hair. 

Sometime later... 

"It's getting late, Riley. We should get you back to your room." 

"Mmmm, okay..." Riley yawns and gets to her feet, pulling her dress back on. Liam wraps his arm around her, leading her out. 

The Prince walks her to her room, "Thanks for the evening, Lady Riley." 

"Of course. I feel like you did a better job massaging than I did... if you weren't a prince, I could see a very lucrative career as a masseuse..." Liam laughs at Riley and she stares, "What is it?" 

Liam looks at her, staring into her eyes... "I'm not sure when we'll get a moment like this again..." 

"I'll make sure to hold onto it then." She kisses him, feeling the beat of his heart as he holds her close. Liam runs his fingers through her hair, deepening the kiss... and then reluctantly pulls away. 

"Goodnight, Riley." 

"Goodnight, Liam..." 

Riley gazes up at the stairwell and goes up to Hana's room to play Truth or Dare with her, Drake, and Maxwell. 

A little while later... 

Riley, Hana, Drake, and Maxwell have gathered in Hana's room for Truth or Dare! 

"This is so exciting! How do we start?" Hana claps her hands. 

Drake pours himself some whiskey, "Usually with a few drinks." 

"Oooh, there's a full bar! What do you guys want?" 

Maxwell calls out, Make me something fruity and delicious! I know! I want Sex on the Beach!" 

"Oh my! I don't think..." Hana blushes and glances away. 

"No, Hana, it's a drink... never mind, I'll make it myself." 

"What about you, Riley?" 

"I'll take some champagne. Thanks, Hana! 

Hana pours the drinks and takes a glass of champagne for herself, "Cheers, friends! Thank you for joining me tonight!" 

Everyone chimes in with cheers and takes a drink. 

"To friendship!" Maxwell shouts as he takes another sip. 

"To friendship! And Truth or Dare!" Riley shouts taking another sip as well. 

"Oh boy, this is going to be a long night." Drake downs the rest of his glass and stares at them. 

"Drinks have been accomplished!" Hana mimics a check off her imaginary checklist, "Now, what comes next?" 

Maxwell points at each one of them, "Someone goes first." 

"Brooks should start." Drake pats her on the back and she almost chokes on her drink. "This was her idea." 

"Okay, Riley..." Maxwell gestures her attention towards him, "Truth or Dare?" 

"I choose dare." 

"I dare you to prank call Madeleine and pretend to be a reporter." 

"Really? Madeleine?" 

"Yep." 

"Okay... here goes..." Maxwell dials Madeleine's number and hands Riley the ringing phone... 

"Hello?" She answers with disdain in her voice, "This had better be important. You're interrupting my nightly white paper reading." 

"Hello, I'm calling from Trend magazine, and I'd like to ask you a few questions... anonymously, of course." 

"At this hour?" 

"...The news never sleeps! Now is there any dirt you can give me on Lady Kiara?" 

"She claims to speak over ten languages, but have you ever heard her utter even a single phrase in something other than English or French? I think she may have a tendency to... exaggerate... her accomplishments. Though she's a sweet girl, and I honestly wish her all the best." 

"That's very interesting. Thank you for your time." 

"I'll be looking forward to seeing it in print!" 

Riley hangs up and everyone laughs. 

"Well, now we know what Madeleine really thinks!" 

"Well done, Riley." Maxwell nods his head and claps his hands for a job well done. 

"Thanks, but now it's your turn! Maxwell, truth or dare?" 

"Dealer's choice! I'm not afraid of anything!" 

"Okay then... tell us a secret that no one else knows about you." 

"Aw, I'm an open book! Everyone knows everything about me!" 

"Nope." Drake shakes his head. 

"Not true at all." Riley crosses her arms. 

"We know almost nothing about you!" Hana exclaims as she moves in closer. 

"Well, all everyone had to do was ask. Okay... let's see... I hate carousels." 

"Really? I thought everyone loved carousels..." 

"When I was little, the royal court took all the kids to a theme park for the Prince's birthday, but when we were on the carousel, some reporters got in and mobbed us. The security team did their best to get us all out of there, but I was the last one they go to. So I was stuck on this dumb carousel for what seemed like forever with people taking pictures and shouting questions at me. I was only three... I had no idea what was really going on. And because our parents had spent so much time trying to warn us about dangers, I thought I was about to get murdered." 

"Aww... Maxwell..." 

"I'm fine. It was a long time ago." 

"Still..." Hana inches toward Maxwell and leans against his arm. 

"Aw, geez, this is why I don't like to talk about serious stuff. I'm fine, you guys! Just forget it! Next up... Hana, truth or dare?" 

"Oh... uhm... truth!" 

"Tell us about your first kiss!" 

"My first kiss?" 

"You have been kissed, right?" 

"Yes, of course." 

"You were engaged after all!" 

"Well... it was actually a very chaste courtship. Our first kiss was in front of a professional photographer for our engagement photo shoot. My parents were insistent that we publish a very public announcement in all of the papers. It was... somewhat awkward." 

"He wasn't a good kisser?" Riley asked. 

"He missed." 

"Missed? Who the hell misses a kiss? It's an easy target," Drake says.

"Well, he tried to kiss my ear but he punctured his lips on my earring and he started bleeding. I felt terrible. My parents were furious that he ruined my dress. It was a complete disaster." 

"Hana, you deserve a better first kiss than that!" 

"Thank you, Riley. But it wasn't so bad. Looking back, it was actually pretty funny. I mean, who can miss that badly on a kiss?" 

"What a loser!" Maxwell wraps an arm and hangs onto Hana. 

"Maxwell..." Drake calls out. 

"Okay, maybe I accidentally kissed someone's chin but that's like a totally understandable mistake, right? I mean, it's right below the mouth..." 

"Hee hee. Yes, that's completely normal." Hana nudges her shoulder into him. 

"Okay, my turn again! Riley, I dare you to go streaking through the ballroom in your underwear!" 

"That's not fair! Hana calls out, "It's not her turn!" 

Drake sighs, "Yeah, and she didn't even choose 'dare'." 

"Well someone should streak tonight or this game is a bust. Come now, Riley, it's your game. Who will it be?" 

Riley makes her way to the now-empty ballroom... 

"The things I do for you people," Drake says as he strips to his underwear. He takes a deep breath and sprints around the room. 

"Woo! Go, Drake!" Riley yells and she, Hana, and Maxwell burst out in laughter. 

Drake sprints back and stops in front of the three of them, "Satisfied?" 

"Yep!" Maxwell hands Drake's clothes back to him, "Now what?" 

"I'm going to get out before anyone catches us!" 

"Good idea!" 

They all race back to Hana's room and collapse on the bed, laughing and panting! "This was so much fun tonight! Thank you," Hana says while stifling a massive yawn.

"Any time." Riley smiles and lets out a sigh of relief. 

"Okay... we should probably call it a night before we break Hana..." Maxwell helps her over to the bed. 

"Goodnight! This has been a very memorable evening!" Hana waves as she closes her eyes to sleep. 

Riley stands up and makes her goodbyes... 

"Goodnight guys!" 

In the hallways outside Hana's room, Riley waves goodbye to her friends, smiling... 

The next morning... 

She wakes up... and glances at the clock, noticing it's nearly noon! "I... what? I must've slept in!" Riley darts out of her bed and out into the hall. 

Descending the stairwell, she sees a few members of the house staff plus Bertrand and Maxwell cleaning up last night's mess. 

"Hey, why'd nobody come to get me?" 

"You earned a day to sleep in." Bertrand seems to have returned to the grin-less businessman again. 

"I... did?" 

"We also thought it'd be better if we minimized the destruction from last night before you woke up." Maxwell comes over to hug Riley before returning back to work. 

"I could've helped you guys... you know that, right?" 

"We don't want you wasting our energy when we're heading into one of the most important events of our lives..." Bertrand wipes apple chunks off the wall and sighs. 

"The Coronation Ball is next, and after last night, all eyes are going to be on you!" Maxwell grabs Riley's shoulders and gestures into the air for her to picture the scene. 

"So get what sleep you can. It's not long before we depart for the palace." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 1.6K 28
Riley Cooper is just waiting for the day she can meet her mate and start her life, but when she does it's not at all what she expected. He turned her...
20.7K 624 48
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚CARRY ON 【BOOK TWO】 ۡ∾ ❛LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL CARRY ON OUTLAST THE IGNORANCE MOVIN ON SURV...
4.7K 171 17
Kenna lived the perfect life in the big city. Sure, she'd had her fair share of hard times, but overall life was perfect. She and her boyfriend of th...
7.2K 235 26
Where two people will meet, and eventually fall in love.