The World On It's Side || Mal...

By Confused_Karma

I don't really want to give you a rundown of "The World On Its Side," I feel you'd be better off experiencing... More

I

386 30 1
By Confused_Karma

The solar eclipse loomed over us, dominating every headline. Everyone was talking about it, from ardent enthusiasts who sought out the perfect viewing spot, to those who, like myself, stayed at home, lazily scrolling through their phones without anything to do.

"Y/n! I'm outta here! Watch the fort!!!!" my sister hollered, tearing down the stairs.

"No need to yell! I'm right here!!!" I shot back. "And what do you mean 'watch the fort'? Who says I don't have plans of my own!?"

She chuckled. "You? Plans? Please, don't make me laugh. Besides, it's your turn to take care of things around here."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, putting ME in charge is a recipe for disaster," my sister retorted, hands on her hips. "And let's face it, you're not exactly popular."

"That's not true!"

"Sure, sure," she said with a grin. "Well if anyone stops by, try not to scare them away with your...you know, you."

"I won't!" I stood up from the couch, "And where are you going anyway!?"

 "Work, in case you've forgotten what that looks like."

"Yeah, because I'm totally supposed to believe that!"

"Anyway, I'm off. Don't burn the house down, kay?"

"Don't ignore me!"

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not about to give a nanosecond of my attention to a speck of dust."

"I'm dust now!?!"

"Later!"  

The door slammed shut, and I found myself utterly alone. It's funny how clichéd our domestic setup is, just my sister and me, no parental units to speak of, as if we're the protagonists of some typical comedy anime, if you know what I mean.

I sank deeper into the couch, my neck propped up on the armrest, throbbing with pain. It's been bothering me for days, adding to the ever-growing pile of irritation, that formed from my sister's antics.

No matter how much I wished to refute her words, they rang true. I had no plans to speak of, no friends to share the moment with, and no eclipse-gazing get-together on the horizon. It was a bitter pill to swallow.

Damn, everything just sucked. I want to vanish into thin air, pronto.

I cast my gaze toward the flickering TV screen, where the news channel droned on and on about the eclipse. 

Me, I don't know anything about astronomical events, but apparently this particular one was a Total Solar Eclipse, meaning it would completely snuff out the sun's light. A different kind compared to the standard eclipse, where the sun's outer glow still shines through.

Hmm, it seems like a pretty serious fuss, doesn't it? Maybe I should look into it.

I sank further into the cushions, my neck still throbbing like a fresh wound. The news had promised that the spectacle would unfold later in the day - late, almost. But that was still a ways off, I reminded myself, as I checked the clock. 3:20 PM.

My sister, the snake, had insisted she was off to work. But I knew better. She'd likely ditched her responsibilities to hang out with her friends, using the eclipse as a convenient excuse. Typical.

With a little bit of theatrics, I managed to heave myself up before harnessing the power within me to gracefully touch down on my feet. Just a couple of quick steps later, and I found myself face to face with the refrigerator.

However, the yogurt I'd been looking for, was nowhere to be seen. Not even a trace...seriously?

So she dumps the house-sitting duties on me, insults me, deceives me, and even has the audacity to pilfer my yogurt? Damn her!

I shut the refrigerator door with a heavy heart, climbed up the stairs, and slipped into my room. The closet was dry as a bone, as if it had been abandoned for years. Frankly speaking, fashion wasn't my forte, and my sister would be the first one to point that out.

Let me see, a black hoodie, and a matching pair of sweatpants - it should work.

It's not like I'm dressing up for the runway, but still, one has to look presentable, right? Plus, comfort is key. The last thing I need is to strut around in some tight-fitting, itchy clothing. No thank you, I'll stick to my cozy black choice.

I placed my wallet in my left pocket, phone in the right, and tucked my hands into both. Then, with the same haste I had used to ascend them, I descended the stairs.

If it wasn't clear already, I was totally going to the store for some more yogurt. I know it might sound like a bit much, but when you're stuck at home with nothing but your own thoughts, you gotta do what you gotta do to make things a little easier.

Now, I gotta admit, it always freaked me out a bit. Our house was too close to the road, you know? One wrong move and BAM! Game over, lights out, end of the line. It's a scary thought, but it's the truth.

I set off, locking the house with a key, the spare one to be exact. The original key belonged to my sister.

––

So, there I was, trying to be all stealthy and sneaky, as if I was some kind of covert operative. Why? Well, I didn't want to be caught red-handed by one of my sister's friends. God knows, I'd never hear the end of it when I got back home.

"I told you to stay put. Can't you ever follow a simple instruction?" Ugh, no thanks. I'd rather avoid the lecture.

I deftly stole the limelight from that big-eyed child in aisle nine and stepped towards the unstylish not-so-cold freezer and plunked a strawberry cup of yogurt.

I had my mind set on my snack, no doubt about that. Paid up, made sure to keep a low profile, slipped out through the sliding doors, and...

My gaze, inadvertently caught sight of a park yonder, just a stone's throw from the convenience store; which had always been a lifeless, barren ground, neglected by the locals. Perhaps that's why I couldn't help but gaze upon it for a moment longer than usual, but, the scene before me was peculiar and far-fetched - a lone individual, leisurely perched themselves on a bench. Suddenly the park, previously a barren wasteland, gained an occupant.

Why not?

I started a slow saunter over to that side of the street, making sure to give a good look left and right before taking the leap. Once I made it to the other side, I waddled awkwardly towards the bench. And then, right as I was almost there, my "Inability to talk to others" ability kicked in.

Damn it all to hell, why do I have to be this way!? 

...I'm going home.

"Hey, you over there. Come here for a sec, will you?"

⚠️ Boss Battle: Indicated ⚠️

Battle Options!

[Attack]
Pros: Allows for a temporary win!
Cons: Prison!

[Skills]
You have none!

[Item(s)]
1. Wallet
2. Phone
3. Yogurt

[Escape]
Impossible

[Give up?]

⚠️ Boss Battle: Failed ⚠️

I dragged my sorry ass towards the bench, slouching heavily as I let a cloud of disappointment rain down on me.

It was only just now that I got a good look at the figure sitting on the bench. She was a girl, about the same age as myself. Her hair was long and her expression seemed somewhat perplexed, as if she were uncertain about something.

"Don't be so uptight, I'm not planning on doing anything to you. Just sit down and relax for a bit." She'd spoken.

"We've just met, so it's kind of difficult..."  

"You were the one who approached me, weren't you?"

"..."

"Sit."

"Yes, ma'am..."

I tentatively set down the flimsy, crinkling bag of yogurt on the rough-hewn planks of the bench, positioning it just beyond my immediate reach to the left.

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

Damn, It was quiet. Like really, really quiet. I mean, calling it just "quiet" would be an insult to the sheer magnitude of silence that was going on. Like it suddenly became so quiet that a pen drop would sound like a thunderclap in comparison, or make you wonder if you've suddenly gone deaf or something.

No one said a word, not even a whisper–

"I'm dealing with something, and I want an opinion from someone unbiased - like a stranger." She suddenly spoke up.

"Well, I'm not exactly an oracle... my advice is worth about as much as coins in a wishing well."

"But coins in wishing wells do serve a purpose."

"Really? How so?"

"Thievery."

"Don't do that!"

"..."

"..."

"Suppose you've committed a crime in the past, and now another person is on the verge of making the same blunder. Is it your place to intervene and prevent them?"

"Huh?"

Am I overreacting or is that an awfully strange question to pose to someone you don't know?

"I'm not going to waste my breath repeating myself." 

"I'm not THAT dense, you know. I got it the first time!" I snapped.

"But, Isn't your IQ comparable to that of a coin at the bottom of a well?"

"Advice! Advice! Not IQ!"

"Are you going to give me an answer or am I wasting my time here? I don't have all day to wait for your slow responses."

The nerve!!

"Your question is stupid. Isn't it blatantly obvious that one should intervene? If you've recognized your own mistake, it's only natural to prevent others from repeating it!"

"Hmm, I must say, that response reveals a staggering lack of understanding and awareness of the matter at hand. Only someone who is not only an idiot, but entirely ignorant of the situation could provide such a reply."

"Didn't you call me for that very reason!?"

In no time, my nerves cooled, replaced instead by a rising sense of annoyance. It felt akin to chatting with my sis, albeit with a tad less emotional punch.

"Well, that's enough. Please refrain from pestering me any further and take your leave." 

I let out a long, exaggerated sigh, torn between standing up for myself and hightailing it out of there.

My whole mood is ruined...

Grabbing my bag of yogurt, I skipped over the bench. Then, abruptly, I–

Was it always this dark? 

I mean, it was pitch-black, like the kind of dark that makes you think the world might have just called it quits.

Did someone forget to pay the electricity bill or something?"

I yanked out my phone, thinking I'd discover some freaky early eclipse info that may have gone unnoticed, but when the lock screen finally blinked to life, I was met with a mundane yet jarring sight: glowing digits and letters, boldly announcing the time in bright neon colors. 1:03am.

Okay, now hold on just a second, that's not right!! I might have taken a few turns here and there, but I swear to you it was still damn near four in the afternoon when I walked out of that store!!!

It's closed!?

My gaze had drifted to the other side of the road, the whole building was shrouded in darkness. No flicker of light to indicate life inside.

"W-Wait, hold on. You're seeing this too, aren't you!?" I exclaimed, swiveling around to face the girl with whom I had just concluded a conversation mere moments ago. But alas, to my surprise, she was nowhere to be found.

I strained my eyes, searching every inch of the park for her. I even took another lap, but no luck. She was nowhere in sight. I gotta admit, I was starting to get a little freaked out. 

And the worst part is, my sister should be home by now. How the fuck was I going to explain this!?

What the hell is going on! I'm so confused!

I figured the quickest way back to my house was the same route that led me there, albeit with a touch more haste. I wasn't overly concerned with stealth at this point. I mean, let's be real here, prowling around in the dark was beyond creepy.

Thank God!

I stumbled upon my home, never straying too close to the road's edge, making sure to check my surroundings; only to stop at the familiar lights that flashed before my eyes.

A fleet of police cruisers were parked outside, red and blue lights, painting the walls with their sickly hues.

I hastened my pace, and reached the entrance. As I turned the knob, I found myself face to face with two stern-looking policewomen. Beside them stood my sister, her eyes dry with tears. 

"U-Uh...Hi...?"

"What the FUCK is wrong with you!!!?" My sister yelled, I'd never heard her get that loud before. "Don't you understand the level of danger you're in by being out this late?!!!"

Was it really that big of a deal?

"You're overreacting! Just–"

My words were cleaved from my mouth by a sudden and savage slap that snapped my head to the side. It was like being struck by a whip, quick and brutal. And it came from her, the one who ranted and raved about the virtues of pacifism and non-violence. But I guess when push came to shove, she didn't hesitate to throw a punch. Or a slap, in this case.

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!" She really was angry.

"Listen up, son. I'm not going to poke my nose where it doesn't belong, but you gotta be careful out there. Women, are nothing but a pack of wild animals, ready to pounce and snatch you up without a second thought. And make no mistake, even you, a strapping young man, aren't immune to their cunning ways." One of the police woman spoke.

What in the hell is she talking about? Is this some sort of prank? I mean, seriously, I'm clueless here!!

"Well, you seem to be alright for now, so we won't make a big fuss out of this little escapade of yours. But mark my words, if we receive even a whisper of you gallivanting around town late at night again, there will be consequences, and they won't be pleasant. Do you understand me?" She continued.

"...Yes, I understand"

And with that, the two were gone, the door slamming shut behind them. It was just me and my sister left, alone in the room with a heavy silence weighing down on us.

"Get your sorry ass to your room, NOW!" She said.

"Alright, alright... sheesh!"

I couldn't resist glancing back at my sister, hoping to catch a glimpse of some sort of reprieve. But, her anger only seemed to intensify.

.

Naturally, I was completely clueless about the situation at hand. It wasn't until the next day that I came to understand the reality of the scenario: The entire world had undergone a radical inversion of gender roles, and I was the only one unaffected...

.

A/n: "This story is just one of three that arose from the planning of the Lunatic story. And I felt compelled to share it, so here we are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 86.8K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
999K 52.6K 33
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
369K 9.6K 32
Princess Marie, a renowned troublemaker of Paris has entered the Ton. Marriage, children and any prospect of love have always been a 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘧...
605K 2.3K 63
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!