Project: Neverbound (A Double...

By Rockythegreater

A soulbound is an unfortunate happenstance in which two people's lives are tied together, literally. If one... More

0 - Introductory Records
The Town Centre Map
1 - Recognizable
Interview #1
2 - Knight in Netherite Armor
3 - Sights, Hearings, and Awkward Meetings
4 - Wilting Flowers and Shared Memories
5 - The Survivors and the Fountain
6 - Keeping Friends Closer than Enemies
8 - Past Trains and Present Boats
9 - But the Toaster Burned the Toast
10 - Two Birds and One Stone
Interview #2
11 - Nightmares, Dreams, or Neither?
Quick A/N
12 - Doubting Ties and a Dead Monster
13 - Deciding Fate and Colliding Stars
14 - Fake Solutions and Missing Memories
15 - The Clock
16 - Goodbye Infinity
17 - The Spiral
18 - The Moon
19 - Canary in the Coal Mine
Update A/N and QnA Special!!!!!
20 - (Part 1) To Remember a Living Friend
20 - (Part 2) To Remember a Living Friend
21 - Caving In
22 - The Flame
23 - Adding Fuel to the Fire
24 - The Impossible
25 - Planning a Reflection
26 - The Past is Far Behind Us...

7 - A Contrast to Typical Nature

115 7 9
By Rockythegreater

It was now 5 pm, and most of the 14 inhabitants were getting ready for their first activity. Joel stood in front of the bathroom mirror, reapplying a bit of his green hair dye to make sure the highlight was still as bright and vibrant as it could be. 

"-oh, and sorry I didn't call you earlier," Joel said, running his fingers through his hair, "I think the jet lag messed with my brain too much. I was so tired when we were unpacking,"

"Aw, don't worry about it," Lizzie said, her voice a bit staticky coming from the phone's speaker, "Etho sent me a picture of you sleeping last night anyway, so I knew you were fine,"

"Oh my gosh, of course he did," Joel sighed, smiling a little as he dug through the makeup bag his wife lended to him. "So how's everything going so far with the whole house to yourself?"

"Whole house? I just wanted the whole bed," Lizzie joked, "no more blanket hogger here to make me cold at night,"

"You're going to tell me you miss that blanket hogger 2 days from now and you know it," Joel chuckled, going silent for a quick minute so he could focus on keeping his hand steady to apply his eyeliner.

"I knooow, I already miss you," Lizzie said. "How's living with Etho going so far?"

"You should ask him that question, I'm the trouble maker after all, so I'm doing juuuust fine," Joel said, finishing one eye and moving on to the next. 

"I should ask him what it's like to share a room with you," Lizzie said.

"He'll probably tell you it's very nice, Etho's a great cuddler," Joel joked, having to pause from his eyeliner so his giggling wouldn't mess him up.

"Joel!" Lizzie yelled playfully, giggling along herself.

"I'm kidding, we have separate beds!" Joel said, calming himself down so he could go back to his steady hands. 

"I know, I know," Lizzie assured, smiling widely. 

"Alright, that should do it," Joel said to himself, turning to his phone and flipping on the camera.  "How do I look?"

"With your eyes, hang on," Lizzie said, picking her phone back up after putting it down to grab a snack.

Joel was in a black and white tuxedo, a fake flower resembling a green-colored peony pinned to the right of his chest.  His eyeliner was a very thin black, so it wasn't the most notable aspect of his outfit, but he still liked the detail nonetheless. 

"You look stunning hun!" Lizzie said cheerfully.  Joel's face lit up.

"Thank you!"  He said, a sort of child-like happiness running through his body.  "I'll text you after I get back, and if I don't, Etho will.  I love you!"

"Love you too!"

Joel sighed with a smile as he hung up and put his phone in the pocket of his pants.  Just as he was about to check over his things one more time, Etho lightly knocked on the bathroom door.

"You ready to go yet?" The fox asked from the other side.  Joel opened the door to face his bound, still not bothering to change into anything fancy for the occasion and sticking to his earth green vest and navy blue clothes.

"Couldn't be ready-er," he said.  Etho let out a half-finished chuckle and let Joel walk past him so he could follow him to the docks.  They ended up walking beside each other later on anyway, and as they walked, Joel noticed a piece of paper sticking out of one of the pockets in Etho's vest.  Whatever was written on the outside of it was in an eye-catching purple, but Joel couldn't make out what it said, if it even were words at all.

"What's that?" He asked, pointing to it.  Etho looked down, and Joel could've sworn he saw a look of shock on his face for a split second before the fox shoved it back down into the pocket where it couldn't be seen. 

"Just the invite," he answered.  "I was gonna stick it on the fridge this morning when I got it but I guess I forgot.  Oh well, I can get rid of it later anyway,"

He still found the purple ink odd, but Joel didn't question Etho any further, choosing to trust his bound on the matter.  What reason would he have to lie to him in the first place anyway?

_

"Dooooc, you have all the supplies ready, right?"  Zedaph asked, opening the door to Doc's room with little regard to what the cyborg was doing.  "I would double check myself but we're gonna have to board the ship soon and I don't know if I have time to organize it and pack it,"

Zedaph's observations finally led his eyes to Doc, sitting at the edge of his bed. 

"Awe, what's wrong?"  He asked, slowly walking up to his business partner.  "You're thinking about him again aren't you?"

Doc stayed silent, but his silence spoke volumes to the blonde.  He sat next to him on the mattress.  "Look, buddy-"

"Cut the shit.  Quit talking like you're him," Doc interrupted. 

"You say that like I think I am him," Zedaph shot back, his expression suddenly getting colder.  "Look, Doc, I know it was a... less than favorable outcome, but it's been more than 10 years, and this is the 3rd time this month I've repeated this speech!"

"You of all people don't get to belittle me on that," Doc said, having to restrain himself from raising his voice.  "You'd betray everyone you claimed to know and love even if the choice to save them couldn't be more obvious,"

"...that's funny," Zedaph said, standing up from Doc's side, "because I thought the choice to save him was obvious,"

Doc's organic hand gripped with his mechanical, almost as if the two were in a battle and would only give up when bones were shattered or metal was dented. 

"You're a coward, not that it's a bad thing," Zedaph said, his back turned, "I know a lot of people who are cowards, and they're all amazing people.  But you, you in particular, lost so much to backing away and leaving people to the pack of starving wolves, and yet you still continue to do it.  You don't get to sulk and mope, you haven't learned a thing,"

"And you have?" Doc growled.  Zedaph chuckled.

"I learned that it's nice here," he answered, "I learned that people listen to me when I'm here, and I'd like for things to stay that way."

And with that, Zedaph left the room, preparing to bring the box of supplies to the cruise ship and set up the mini shop.  Doc stayed behind, too emotional to do much else.

_

Scott, despite the events of earlier that day, still decided to go to the activity. He figured it wouldn't be a cruise without alcohol, so if he really wanted, he could just get totally plastered and not have to worry about Jimmy for the entire two hours. Of course, that would leave him in the hands of Cleo, but if there was anyone around he could trust the most with his life and dignity, it was her.

He spent most of that afternoon starting his garden, rows and rows of flowers all encased behind one house. Preferably, he'd have his own greenhouse, just to be sure all of the plants were growing in the best conditions they could, but he could always just watch them closely to make sure they never wilt, which was what he usually did anyway.  Black dahlias and green carnations lined the wall against the house towards the left, along the right being blackthorns and sunflowers per Pearl's request.  Marigolds and lily of the valleys could be spotted down a row, as well as asphodels, rues, and acanthuses down another if someone were to walk in from the back door. Sweet briers, white heathers, and statices lined an area on their own. For a minute, Scott considered putting red poppies in place of the statices, but quickly decided against it. They used to be his favorite flower, but now he felt as if he'd gotten far more than enough of the bright red plants in one lifetime. 

Right at the entrance of the house, he planted two more rows of flowers, the left being begonias and rhododendrons and the right being thistles and brugmansias. He took pride in his gardening skills, for growing them out of the ground was much harder than growing them out of his skin. He took a quick shower and put on a teal blue suit and tie, the only really fancy clothes he had. Most of his work consisted of getting down and dirty, and he was never the type to go anywhere that sophisticated minus a wedding or two, so he only needed it once in a blue moon. But tonight just felt like a fancy night.

He texted Cleo to let them know he was on his way to the docks as he descended down the stairs in the house.  Pearl was already at the bottom, covered in a stunning dress that ran yellow highlights through a vibrant green fabric.

"Took you long enough, Mr. Fancy Pants," Pearl teased, "I almost started banging my head against the wall to see how long it would take you to notice,"

"I thought you said you were gonna leave before me if I took too long?" Scott questioned.

"I was, but then I remembered I needed something from you," she answered, pointing to the side of her head right behind her left ear.  Scott rolled his eyes. 

After today, he thought it would be much harder to summon a sunflower in his hand, but thankfully, happiness wasn't the only thing he had to focus on to sprout one.  Imagining a nice bright sun, heating up a long summer day was enough to get the flower right on the back of his hand.  He plucked it off, his hand mildly jumping from the sting that ensued, handing it to Pearl, who then placed it behind her ear to complete her outfit.

"Alright, now I'm ready to go," Pearl said.  She followed Scott out of the house, walking down to the docks to the delightful sight of the cruise ship they got to be boarding.  It had a good 7 decks, and it was just a bit longer than the edge of the dock to the main area.  Most people were already gathered around the dock facing the entrance, the occasional shop owner walking through to bring in their supplies to set up little mini shops inside, so they could still get business despite the event.  Scott and Pearl looked at it in awe.

"The view's great isn't it?" Someone from behind them said.  They turned to see a brown haired man in a dark brown suit, an orange vest, bow tie, and blue jeans to counter the dark colors.  He had a pair of goggles atop his head, one of the lenses chipped at the edge, along with a few band-aids on his face, brown strap-on boots and brown fingerless gloves to create a sort of steampunk aesthetic.  His eyes were a bright orange, which Scott could've sworn glowed in the dark of the night.  He was carrying a crate of what looked to be wine bottles alongside a few glass jars of green olives. 

"Yeah, it is!" Pearl agreed.  The man's eyes widened for a second.

"Oh my goodness, I'm sorry, I thought you were someone I knew!" He apologized, smiling awkwardly. "My name's Owen,"

"Oh, I get that all the time, don't worry about it," she said, "I'm Pearl, and this is Scott,"

Owen reached out a hand to shake, and both of them took it one at a time.  "I'd love to stay and talk, but I think they're going to be opening the ship soon, so I have to go and unload this before that happens,"

"Wait, what's your shop?" Scott asked.

"Oh, mine's the Attic Bar if you're interested in stopping by," Owen offered.  Scott looked ahead at the crowd of bounds, immediately noticing Jimmy among them.  He sighed.

"Yeah, we can stop by there," Scott nodded.  Owen smiled. 

"Great, I'll see you there!" He said, finally leaving with the crate of fancy juices.

"...So, is this a new date or what?" Pearl asked, half-jokingly and half-seriously.  Scott shrugged.

"He's giving me friendly vibes, so I don't think so," he said, "I don't wanna assume anything anyway,"

"No harm no foul I guess," Pearl said.  A little while later, Cleo and Martyn showed up, and the ship was announced to be open for guests. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.5K 2.8K 28
⚠ Cover Art Isn't Mine ⚠(I wish it was though like, DAMN! talent!!! When Mumbo Jumbo died unexpectedly his best friend, Grian, never recovered. He'd...
3.5K 71 23
Life series based fic- Im not explaining it, watcher lore though yay #1 SmallishBeans x3 #1 Skizzleman
12.5K 656 23
In a found family of 26, you're bound to get a couple of interesting stories. The Hermits are no exception. Brought together through tragedy and hard...
1.7K 52 14
After an accident with a creeper, Blue wakes up in Third Life with no supplies and no memory of how she got there. She makes friends... but she also...