KILLSHOT // [H.S]

By normalsandwich

[MATURE CONTENT] KILLER x THIEF Since the day she was born, RORY YOUNG has been told she's too smart for her... More

READY / INTRO
TO / PLAYLIST (?)
COMPLY / PLAYLIST (!)
000. ROBBED BY A BAMBI
001. MEET CUTE
002. CHEESE
003. BEG
004. FANTASY
005. PURPLE DOOR
006. CURIOSITY KILLED... WHAT?
007. THE LESSON
008. RELAX, BAMBI
009. PEBBLES THE MOO-MOO
010. THE DEAL // UNTIL NEXT TIME, RO
011. THE DEAL // CASSEROLE
012. FIRST DAY
013. CHERRY
014. PITY
015. BREAK IT
016. JEALOUSY
017. THE GAME // ROUND 001
018. THE GAME // ROUND 002
019. REWARD
020. CINEMA // POPSICLE
021. CINEMA // BREAK-IN
022. CINEMA // WINDOW
023. CINEMA // JOLENE
024. CINEMA // PHOTOS
025. CINEMA // PEANUT
026. FIVE LETTER WORD
027. THE SHOW
028. KEEP DRIVING
029. PROPERTY OF RORY
030. FRIENDS
031. OLD SERVICES
032. DRUNK BABY
033. HARRY'S HOUSE
034. THE BET
035. MAC & CHEESE
036. MIRRORS // HOME
037. MIRRORS // STICK
038. MIRRORS // LEATHER
039. MIRRORS // ZOMBIES
040. MIRRORS // FUN FACT
041. PERMANENT
042. RUIN
043. BROKEN // LUCKY
044. BROKEN // TATTOO
045. EGGHEADS
046. TARGET
047. THREAT
048. DEAD
049. GRAVE
050. VOICE
051. LIES
052. POOLSIDE // ALONE
053. POOLSIDE // FAINT
054. X MARKS THE SPOT
055. KS-001
056. FORGIVEN
057. SIREN
058. CASTLE // SLEEPING BEAUTY
059. CASTLE // PRINCE CHARMING
061. GOOD // MOO
062. GOOD // CRAWL
063. GOLDEN // AURA
064. GOLDEN // COSMIC
065. GOLDEN // HEAVEN
066. HOUDINI
067. FOUR KEYS
068. PAST
069. PRESENT // PART 001
069. PRESENT // PART 002
069. PRESENT // PART 003
070. ELEANORA // PART 001
070. ELEANORA // PART 002
070. ELEANORA // PART 003
070. ELEANORA // PART 004

060. THE LIST

4.3K 104 466
By normalsandwich

HARRY'S HOUSE. AOTY.

also this is the longest chapter & the last cute one before things pick up again. so grab a snack & enjoy!

twitter: @/ normiesandwich

ps apologies for any mistakes - im still sick lmao

//

060. THE LIST

Rory fell asleep to the scent of soap and a warm body holding her close.

But when she woke the following morning, she found herself alone and the spot next to her cold. For a split second, she wondered if she imagined Harry coming into her room - his side of the bed was perfectly made.

Spotting the note on the side table instantly squashed her fears and allowed her mind to rest.

Sorry for leaving, Bambi. I had to go to therapy & didn't want to wake you.

See you when you get up. x Harry

Warmth spread through her chest, causing her to forget the cold side of the bed. There was something so thoughtful and kind behind leaving a note. A gesture she not only liked but one she loved. Rory loved all the notes he left for her - she had kept every single one in the past. And this would be no expectation.

However, looking at the note, she couldn't stop a thought from crossing her mind. Rory didn't know where they stood with each other.

She wandered a confusing line between wishing she could forget and not wanting to let him walk away from his sins without any repercussions. A classic battle between the brain and heart - and she had no idea which one would become victorious.

What made things even more confusing was the passing of time.

It seemed like months ago that it had all happened - when she overheard Harry calling her broken, and she packed up her life from his house the next day. But that was only a handful of weeks ago. And ending up in the safehouse wasn't something that happened far in the past. It was days.

She spent less than a week in the safe house.

And this was only her third morning waking up in Mr. Romano's home.

Even if she wanted to listen to her heart, it was too soon to forget the past.

Right?

Of course, it is, the voice in her head sneered. Just because you want to play a pretend Princess doesn't mean you have to stop living in reality. Think logically, Rory.

Think logically. The concept seemed so foreign these days it almost made her laugh.

Rory wondered what would happen when she left the Romano home. What would her new life be like? How would Agent Siren be living for the next few months? Clearly, her apartment no longer existed. She wasn't sure why that was, but her curious mind wouldn't let the topic linger without knowing for much longer.

Rubbing her tired eyes, she begrudgingly got out of the cozy bed and headed into the bathroom to prepare for the day. Turning on the tap, her hands cupped the running water before splashing it across her face. Everything felt more luxurious here - even the cold water felt rich.

Although she wished she could lay under the covers forever, for once, Rory didn't mind getting up and starting her day. Nothing felt like a chore in this house - mainly because an entire staff of people waited on her hand and foot. Help had never been a known concept to her. Nor was it something she ever thought she would enjoy, let alone accept.

Even though she had to suppress the guilt over someone else making her bed or washing her used dishes, Rory couldn't deny she enjoyed being treated like a princess in this house. However, part of her couldn't wait to start living for herself again. Independence had been something she worked her entire life for - something she earned. And once she exited the Romano estate and passed the castle gates, she knew she had to go back to living the way she was meant to. Independently.

Well, as independently as she could while living at Harry's house.

Soon you'll shed the princess facade, Siren, the voice snickered.

Shaking her head at the thoughts, she brushed her hair, taming the tangles that appeared overnight. But I can still pretend for a bit longer.

Rory didn't know how many days were left in this house. The girl quickly learned in the safe house that the number given meant nothing - it drastically changed within a second. At least she was enjoying her time here. And surprisingly to her, she felt completely safe.

After dressing in a fresh pair of clothes, Rory tidied the bedroom before making her way downstairs and into the kitchen. She was excited to start her day, mainly because that meant spending time with Harry. Butterflies erupted in her stomach over the thoughts of what they would do together. Of course, she wanted to spend all her waking hours in the library - but she wanted to ensure they did something he enjoyed.

Maybe he turned into a bookworm overnight. A smile crossed her lips over the thought. It's not that far-fetched. He did mention he started reading textbooks for me.

However, the look of joy she proudly wore quickly faded once she stepped foot into the space. Doctor Khan and Harry stood near the counter, whispering with one another. Rory couldn't hear what they were saying, but the air thick with tension was enough to signal something was off.

"Our sleeping beauty is awake!" Doctor Khan spoke in a cheerful tone. "How was your night?"

"It was nice, thank you." Rory glanced at Harry, surprised to see his attention fixated on the ground. "Is everything alright?"

"Of course it is!" the Doctor replied. "Are you hungry, sweetheart? I have breakfast all ready for you!"

Before Rory could utter another word, she was guided towards the table and into a chair. Looking at the breakfast options in front of her, she wondered how long everything had taken to make. Or how many people the Doctor expected to show up to eat.

"Where's Mr. Romano?"

"He is out right now." Doctor Khan began filling up a bowl with plain yogurt. "He will be back this afternoon. Granola?" she asked, gesturing to the dish in hand.

Rory nodded and looked over her shoulder. She was disappointed to see Harry remain in his spot, leaning against the counter, arms folded across his chest. It was far from the greeting she expected. Her head turned back, slumping slightly in her chair as she stared at the bowl in front of her. Granola and yogurt topped with mixed fruits and a drizzle of honey.

"Eat, sweetheart," Doctor Khan instructed, sitting in the empty chair beside the girl. An uncomfortable filled the room as Rory took her first bite. "Do you like it? There's plenty of other options if you prefer-"

"It's great. Thank you."

For the past few mornings, Rory enjoyed breakfast time in the house. The Doctor would prepare various food options and get excited as everyone appeared. Mr. Romano would sit in the chair facing the window and read the paper, adding tidbits from intriguing news stories. And Rory would sit, eat her breakfast, and savour every second.

But this breakfast felt nothing like it. A coldness replaced the usual warmth of the room. The scent of cinnamon buns didn't waft through the space, even though a freshly baked tray was on the table. And the silence made Rory want to scream at how uncomfortable it felt. The only sounds came from the crunch of granola with each bite.

She hated it.

Rory didn't want to hate anything in this house.

With a defeated sigh, she put down her utensil and asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Well," the Doctor cleared her throat, "there is something we need to discuss."

From the corner of her eye, Rory spotted Harry shifting uncomfortably on the balls of his feet. Ah, so that's why Mr. Grumpy Pants has returned.

"What is it?"

"It's about your living arrangements," the woman said. "Currently, there are three options. At the house with Harry and the other three boys. In your own apartment with twenty-four-seven security, in and outside the building. Or, Mr. Romano has offered his home." She gave Rory an apologetic look before adding, "And the decision should be made today."

Rory's brow furrowed.

"Sweetheart, please know that this is completely up to you. And you are not bound to the choice you make today. If it's not working or you want something else down the line, you can always change your mind."

She wasn't puzzled over having to decide within a short amount of time. It was the three choices.

"Do you want to see pictures of the apartment? Maybe that will-"

"I thought I was living with Harry."

"You certainly can, honey, if that's what you want."

"That is what I want."

Harry's eyes widened upon hearing her answer. "Really?" he whispered in disbelief, stepping forward. "You want to?"

"I mean, if there's still room for me."

Dragging over a chair, Harry immediately sat down beside her. A small smile curved on Rory's lips, noting his relaxed posture and how his green emerald eyes filled with relief. Harry hadn't been trying to ignore her this entire time - he had been trying to hide his nerves.

"There's always room for you, Bambi."

Not wanting him to see how red her cheeks became over him saying such a thing, Rory turned her head to Doctor Khan. "But maybe I could come by on the weekends... you know, to visit or something."

"I think that's a lovely idea, sweetheart." Rising from her spot, Doctor Khan rounded the table and stopped by Harry's side, gently squeezing his shoulder. "See, I told you there was no need to be worried," she said. "Now, you two enjoy your morning. And, before I forget, make sure you're in the dining room at noon for lunch. Mr. Romano has asked everyone to meet."

"I wonder what Mr. Romano wants to meet about," Rory said once the two were alone.

Harry shrugged. "I have no idea. But I'm guessing it has something to do with us leaving."

Us leaving. Hearing such words caused her heart to swell. Us. Once again, Rory shielded her flushed skin from his view and looked down at her bowl of yogurt. Two words shouldn't have caused this kind of reaction. And yet every inch of her skin felt on fire. Us leaving. Us. No matter how hard she tried to deny it, she liked the idea of them being a pair - a unit. Together. It felt right. It made sense. It was a perfect pair.

Rory placed her spoon in the empty bowl and asked, "What would you like to do this morning?"

"That's a big question, Bambi. I can't remember what it's like to have free time. Or a choice." Harry added a laugh to lessen the impact of his words. Noting her concerned look, he placed his hand on her thigh. "You know the castle better than I do. What's there to do around here, Princess Rory?"

Her eyes glimmered with excitement as a warmth flooded her chest - a feeling that became far too familiar around him and one she was rather fond of. There has to be a word for that, she thought to herself. It wasn't a feeling she had with anyone else - at least, not to this extent. And unfortunately, her medical textbooks didn't have an explanation. She read those front-to-back several times just to be sure.

But the feeling was always there; whenever he held her hand or touched her leg; when he smiled, and his dimple appeared; when he knew what was wrong or remembered something she liked; when he looked at her; when he smiled at her; when he was near.

The two stood at the sink, tag teaming the clean up - Harry doing the washing while Rory dried and put them away. And there it was, that feeling once again.

Maybe something in my chest is broken. That would be a logical explanation as to why I feel warm over washing dishes together.

There was one thing Rory knew for sure - the man standing beside her wasn't the person that called her broken. What that meant in the grand scheme of things, she still didn't know. It wasn't like they would be washing dishes together if any of this had not happened – if she hadn't been attacked in her apartment. Right?

Would something else have brought them back together?

Would he have left her alone for good?

Would she have the strength to stay away?

"Are you alright, Bambi?" Harry's soothing voice pulled the girl out of her trance. "Did you want to go outside?"

"What?"

"You've been staring out the window for a while." He turned off the water and picked up a spare dish towel to dry his hands. "It's a nice day out. I wouldn't mind going for a walk if you wanted."

A smile tugged on her lips, realizing what he was doing. The least important part was whether he truly wanted to go for a walk. He knew something was on her mind - something so overwhelming it overtook her thoughts and caused her to zone out. And instead of making her uncomfortable by acknowledging it, he distracted her. Harry knew to distract her because he knew her.

Rory put away the last bowl into the cupboard and gently closed the cabinet door. "I'd like that," she said, placing her hand in his. As their fingers intertwined, Rory proudly wore her smile as she followed his lead outside. "It's peaceful out here."

"Yeah, it is," he admitted, slightly surprised to feel a sense of peace wash over him from the moment they stepped out the door. The two ventured down the cobbled pathway, surrounded by beautiful flower beds and perfectly trimmed grass.

"Let's sit here for a minute," she suggested, guiding him towards a bench, "It's quickly become my favourite spot."

"You sure like a good-" He fell silent, looking out at the view. "This spot?"

Rory nodded, taking a seat. She looked up, waiting for him to join her side, while Harry remained fixated on what was in front of them.

"What's wrong?"

"There's a pool," he said, commenting on the large body of crystal blue water only a few feet away.

"I know."

"And that doesn't bother you?"

She hesitated before shaking her head. "Not really."

"That's surprising," Harry said out loud without realizing it. "Sorry, I just mean, you-"

"Have a weird thing about water?" She felt relieved as he took the seat beside her. "Don't worry. I get it. Sometimes I find it difficult to actually describe my fear of it, so I think it confuses people when I want to sit near the water without issue or be in a bath with you beside me. But something caused it - I just don't want to talk about it."

"You don't have to," he quickly added. "I didn't mean it like that at all."

"I know you didn't. If I ever felt judged by you about it, we wouldn't be sitting here." Teeth sinking into her bottom lip, she looked out at the water. "I used to really like swimming." A sense of calm filled her lungs as he rested a hand on her thigh. "I was quite good too. A fast little thing."

"I think I liked it too," Harry said, following her gaze. "I have a hazy memory of being at the community pool one summer."

"Do you still have trouble remembering things from your childhood?"

Harry stretched his arms across the top of the bench. "Some. I remember more than I forget."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault."

Rory looked to the side. "Sometimes I forget things from when I was younger. But I can't tell if that's because I just happened to forget or if it's trauma blocking it out."

"Our mind tries to protect us in the most interesting ways."

"Yeah," she hummed in agreement. "But I wish it wouldn't let me remember certain things. You know, the actual bad shit. It's like, instead of replacing my bad memories, it impacts the good. Makes me forget the things I actually want to remember."

"Maybe it's just making room for new memories that are good ones."

"Making room for new memories," she quietly repeated, "I like that." Her body moved closer to his side, and his hand rested on her shoulder. "Did you know the first time I ever got in a bathtub after I..." she cleared her throat, "stopped liking water was with you?"

"Really?"

"It was the night I first spent at your place. You know, after you spanked my ass raw-"

"If I remember correctly, you asked for those spankings."

"Well, yeah, because it was a turn-on. I'm pretty sure your handprint is permanently marked on my ass from that."

"Is that so?"

She nodded, wearing a proud smirk as she deviously replied, "Want to check?"

There's the cheeky girl I know, he thought to himself. "Maybe later. I don't know how Tony would feel about seeing that." Harry nodded in the direction of the guard standing a few feet behind their bench.

Her gaze remained on his for a few silent beats before turning her head and looking back at the water. Harry noticed a slight shift in her demeanour. The confidence in her shoulders slumped ever so slightly, and her proud smirk faltered. For a brief moment, he worried he had done something wrong.

Did she really want me to check her ass for handprint marks out in the open? He thought to himself. No, that can't be right.

As the internal battle over handprint-gate played out, he reached for her hand without realizing it. Craving her touch quickly became second nature to him. It had become a calming force with such a simple action. Being next to each other was no longer enough. Harry always needed to hold her hand.

Never before had he had this kind of need before - it was indeed an intriguing revelation. He learned so many things from this, things he never knew before that he liked.

He liked how tracing his fingertips would leave a trail of goosebumps behind on her skin.

He liked when she took the lead and was the first to reach for him.

He liked feeling this sense of intimacy in the purest form.

But most of all, he liked the unknown rush that appeared when his touch gently grazed a particular finger on her hand - the one positioned between her pinkie and middle finger. Harry wondered if she left the same way. Or if she even noticed at all.

Now you're really going crazy, the voice in his head sneered.

Harry never imagined he would be awarded the chance to experience calmness. But there it was, sitting next to him and resting her head against his shoulder.

No matter what happened between them, Harry knew one thing - he would never risk damaging the one thing that brought him happiness.

XX

Harry's calm remained by his side for the rest of the morning.

After sitting on the bench for another hour, the two decided to talk a walk around the property. Rory pointed out her favourite spots and where she had spent most of her time to keep her mind off everything.

"That's where Mr. Romano keeps his hidden cigarettes," she told him, "He shared it with me under direct orders that I don't tell anyone, so keep your lips shut."

Looking at her large brown doe eyes, everything else faded into the background as he hummed an agreement of his secrecy. It wasn't the exact replica of a romantic stroll one would see in the movies - considering Tony and a few other guards followed shortly behind. But it was easy to forget they were being watched.

It truly amazed him that even in their current situation, she still managed to find a spark of joy - something Harry quickly learned she could go on about for hours. He studied every second of her expression as he listened to her talk. The way her eyes lit up when she explained something from a book she read or her glow over perfectly reciting a scientific fact.

No longer was the hint of vanilla she always smelled like his only addiction.

It was everything about her.

Rory was mesmerizing to him.

"Can I get a bookshelf?"

"What?"

"In my room," she clarified as they made their way back to the house, "Spending time in the library has made me realize how much I've been doing a disservice to my books by keeping them in piles on the ground."

"Of course."

Internally squealing over his agreement, she quietly admitted, "I haven't had one since I was little."

"You can have whatever you want in your room, Bambi. Just tell me what it is, and I'll make that happen."

"Really?"

Opening the door, he held it open for her and repeated, "Really."

Lingering in the entryway, she crossed her arms over her chest. "What if I said I wanted a shark?"

"A real shark?" He leaned forward. "Now, where would we fit a real shark in your room, Bambi? Would you two share a bed?"

"That's not my problem to figure out. You're the one that said you'd make it happen."

He grinned over her sassy tone. "How about we start you off with something more manageable? How does a goldfish sound?"

"Like a pet goldfish? So that means I can get a pet?"

"I don't think I said-"

"Fine. No shark. I want a dog."

"No pets." Before she could protest, he quickly added, "Besides, you said you didn't want another dog."

Her mouth fell agape. "H-how do you know that?"

"You told me." Using her taken-aback stance to guide her further into the home, he added, "When we went out for dinner, and you were playing your little questions game."

"And you remembered that?"

"I remember a lot of things you tell me, Bambi. That is exactly why I know we won't get any dogs."

Rory stopped walking, forcing Harry to follow suit in the hallway. "You do realize I can change my mind, right?"

"I do."

"I mean, I changed my mind about you, of all things."

Resting his hand on her hip, he gently squeezed as he leaned forward to whisper, "And how honoured I am you did that."

As much as he cherished all their moments together, nothing quite like her attitude set his body aflame with desire. It burned for her and every smart-mouth comment she expressed. Watching his eyes flicker from hers down to her lips caused a rush of heat to her cheeks.

But no flushed cheeks could distract Rory enough from being exactly like herself - resulting in her stubbornness to shine through as she snarkily replied, "So if I can change my mind about one animal, surely I can do it again."

Harry could tell by the fire in her eyes and how her chin lifted that she was proud of her remark - she always loved a good comeback. Her tongue darted across her bottom lip, and his eyes couldn't help but follow the action. God, that made him weak in the knees. It was nearing impossible to stop himself from giving in to his desire. He desperately wanted to kiss her right there and then.

Fingers digging into her hip, Harry cleared his throat. "I don't doubt that for a second, Bambi." Stepping back, he created distance between them - something needed before making a dumb decision. "It's almost noon," he said, nodding towards the dining room, "We should go in for that meeting."

Rory's ears perked, hearing distant chatter. "Is everyone else here?" There was a slight spring in her step as she followed the noise and turned the corner. Her eyes widened, spotting three familiar faces standing near the table. "Kip!" Her voice shouted with excitement as she hurried to the kid's side.

Kip couldn't get out a greeting before being pulled in for a lung-crushing hug. "H-hey, Ro!" he finally managed.

"I miss you so much!"

"I missed you-"

She pulled her head back. "And look at you!" she said, raising her hands to his cheeks. "You're so grown up now!"

"It's only been a few-"

"Hey!" Dallas whined. "We're here too, you know!"

"Oh, don't worry, Dallas," she cooed, "I was just getting to you!" Releasing Kip from her hold, she pulled Dallas in for a hug. "I want to try a new cupcake recipe, and I'll need your approval!"

"You can count on me!"

Pinching his cheeks, she turned her attention to the last victim. "Come on, Cheese." Rory spread her arms out and motioned for him to step forward.

Colson's face twisted with disgust. "Don't even think about it."

"There's my brooding boy." She wrapped her arms around his waist. "Doesn't this feel nice, Cheese?"

"No-" Catching Harry's glare from across the room, Colson rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure. Nice." He patted the top of her head. "Are we done now?"

"One more squeeze!" She tightened her grasp, holding on for another second before releasing. "There! That wasn't so bad, was it?"

Jaw clenching over the remark, he forced the most pleasant smile possible and replied, "No. It was not."

"Aw, you missed me!" Rory tapped the tip of his nose. "Did you cry every night that we were apart?"

Before Colson could reply, presumably with a remark that would start an argument, Harry appeared by Rory's side. "I'm sure he missed you lots, Bambi. But come on, let's sit down. Stefano will be in any minute." Putting his arm around her waist, he guided her away from the angered man and toward the table. "Look, they made your favourite!"

Rory wanted to continue teasing, but the second her eyes fell on the macaroni and cheese dish, her mouth watered for another reason. "Oh, that looks good." Licking her lips, she immediately sat down. Oh, there's even breadcrumbs on top, she noted, causing her stomach to grumble quietly. Her head turned, eyes peering up at Harry. "When can we start eating?"

"Let's just wait until everyone arrives." Harry sat in the spare chair beside her.

"How many minutes?"

A smile crossed his lips, noticing her swing her legs impatiently. "It won't be long."

"But it smells so good!"

"Why has no one started eating?" Doctor Khan announced as she entered the room with a basket of bread rolls. "Boys, sit. Please, start while it's hot!"

"I wanted to start! Someone said I had to wait!"

"Well, it was very kind of that someone to suggest such a thing," the Doctor gave Harry a sympathetic look, "But I'm sure you're hungry, sweetheart."

Rory turned her head, ready to fire a sassy remark at Harry. However, she instantly fell silent when she noticed her plate was full of her favourite items, including a large helping of mac and cheese.

"Eat," Harry told her as he began serving himself.

Picking up the fork, she did just as instructed. As she silently ate, her feet fluttered with happiness over the items on her plate. If there was one thing the girl loved, it was macaroni and cheese.

"Sorry, I'm late," Stefano announced as he entered the room, forcing a pleasant smile to greet his guests. He looked at the end of the table, meeting the Doctor's glance. The two exchanged a non-verbal consensus, and the slight pinch between his brows that was evident moments ago suddenly disappeared as he took his seat. "Is everyone enjoying the food?"

As everyone replied with a quiet 'yes,' Dallas took it upon himself to express his compliments with a mouth full of food - earning a disgusted eye roll from Colson.

Doctor Khan looked at the girl sitting beside her. "How is it, sweetheart?"

"Really good! You're so good at cooking - everything you make tastes amazing."

"Thank you, honey, you're too kind," the woman said, "But I can't take all the credit for your favourite dish. Harry gave me specific instructions on how you like it made."

Rory turned her head to the other side. "You did?"

"I just mentioned you liked the breadcrumbs on top," he told her quietly. "But the bacon bits are my secret addition - I couldn't give away all my Rory tips so easily."

The corners of her mouth tugged upward. It was a small gesture; one someone may not have spent so much time thinking about. But to her, it was special. And confusing. It sent a warmth through her chest while simultaneously rattling her mind. Was it done purely out of kindness? Or was there something behind it?

"Chew with your mouth closed, you animal," Colson snapped from the other side of the table.

Dallas rolled his eyes. "If the view is bothering you, stop looking, Princess."

While the two bickered, Kip and the Doctor fell into conversation at one end of the table while Harry and Stefano engaged on the other. And Rory sat happily, eating her macaroni and cheese while she watched them all with adoration. She liked this - their makeshift family all together.

The poor Bambi wished her peaceful moment could last forever.

"What is this meeting for?" Harry didn't mean to ruin her peace - he only asked the question on everyone else's mind.

Stefano shared a quick glance with the woman across the table before looking at Harry. "We don't have to rush into things just yet."

"How bad is it?"

His jaw clenched, and the forced smile returned. "How about we let everyone finish their food, and then we will get into our discussion."

"Do you know?" Harry directed his question across the table.

Colson cleared his throat before cautiously replying, "Yes."

"Unbelievable," he muttered, slumping back in his chair. His neck twitched. "You know what? Fine. Let's eat some fucking cake first. That seems like the logical thing to do."

Placing her hand on his thigh, Rory leaned over and whispered, "Harry, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm-" he strained his neck, "Fine." Harry released a heavy breath. "I'm fine," he repeated, "I'm sorry."

"Do you need to clear your head for a second? Step outside?"

"No, Bambi, I'm okay," he whispered, placing his hand on hers. "I'm okay."

Rory pressed her lips together, not wanting to push further and take his word to heart. While her gaze returned to the plate of food, she couldn't help but watch the evident tension build across his expression from the corner of her eye. This had nothing to do with him being impatient. Something was wrong.

"Why don't we get started with the meeting?" Rory suggested to the table. "I'm sure we're ready to begin."

Receiving a nod of approval from the Doctor, Stefano waved over one of his men. "Alright, to cut to the chase, as I'm sure is preferred, we received a gift." The guard placed an open box on the table. "New phones." He picked up the first device and read the name printed on the front. "Kip... Dallas... this one's mine...." Stefano put the phone on the table in front of him. "Colson... Harry... and Rory."

Stefano cleared his throat and clasped his hands together. "Now, along with a lovely note, these devices were labelled for communication. Kip carefully scanned each one and found nothing that could track or listen to us, which leads me to believe this is-"

"A fucking loyalty test," Harry gritted through his teeth.

Harry couldn't bare to look at the device - but his eyes fell on the one in Rory's hand. Specifically, the name engraved on the front. SIREN. His neck twitched. Pressing his lips together, he suppressed a grunt of pain that begged to escape.

A message appeared on the screen.

THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT.

FOLLOW THE RULES, AND YOU'LL BE ALLOWED TO LIVE FREELY.

IF YOU DISOBEY, PUNISHMENTS WILL FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY.

"Harry," the soft voice beside him whispered, "Are you okay?" He could hear the worry in her voice - it matched the look in her eyes. "Harry?"

His mouth parted to speak. No words escaped as he turned to look at Siren-

Harry's eyes widened. Rory. Rory sat next to him. Siren didn't fucking exist. Sweat pooled on the back of his neck, and his chest tightened.

Rory.

It was Rory.

Rory. Rory. Rory.

Everyone at the table was engrossed in their own conversations. No one was looking at him. They're waiting for you to collapse, 001, the voice in his head sneered. He looked to the side. Rory wasn't waiting for that. He could tell she wasn't. She only wanted him to be okay. She would never judge him. Not his Siren-

Pushing back his chair, Harry was quick to his feet and dashed out of the room. He could hear the calls behind him but didn't stop to see if anyone was following. He didn't stop moving until he found himself standing in the library.

"It's just me," Rory said softly as she entered the room and closed the door behind her.

Rory.

It was just Rory.

Rory.

Only Rory.

"Are you okay?"

Harry wanted to lie. He tried to pretend to her that everything was okay. But it was impossible - he stood no chance of making it convincing.

"No," he admitted, his voice heavy with defeat. "I don't know what's happening to me."

Rory took a cautious step forward. "You're safe, Harry. A lot is going on right now. It's understandable."

"It's this place," he whispered, looking around, "It makes you fucking forget what is going on. And then those phones show up, and yours has that fucking name on it." He felt more comforted as she moved closer to him. "Being here, in this house, isn't reality. I can't-" his words fell silent as his neck twitched. "I can't-" He winced. "I-"

"Harry, stop," she told him calmly. "Just take a deep breath for me. In through your nose... and out through your mouth...." A sense of relief washed over her as he closed his eyes and followed along. "And again... in through your nose... out through your mouth," she coached. Raising her hands to his face, she tucked his hair behind his ear and cupped his face. "Better?"

Harry nodded, leaning into her touch. Everything is better because of you. 

"Good. Now, tell me what you need."

"I think I need to leave this house," he admitted.

"Then we will leave."

"But you like it here."

"So?"

He winced again. "So, you should stay until you want to leave."

"I'm not staying here without you."

"Rory-"

"I'm leaving with you, Harry. That's final."

"But-"

"Sit," she instructed, helping him down to the couch. Kneeling beside him, she spoke softly, "If leaving is what you need, that's what we are going to do. Together. Understood?" Receiving a nod of agreement, she smiled, noticing the emerald colour return to his eyes. "Good boy. Now, I will let the others know we will be going. Okay?"

Harry nodded again, silently watching as she stood from her spot. Before taking a step, he reached for her hand and whispered, "Thank you."

"No need to thank me. You'd do it for me."

"In a heartbeat."

Harry remained alone in that room for some time. He wanted to help Rory with whatever was needed, but she insisted he rested. It's what Doctor Khan said was best, she told him after he tried to deny needing rest. He was overwhelmed; at least, that was the diagnosis given.

It wasn't a shock that he was overwhelmed.

Far too many thoughts swarmed his mind daily. And now, with the trial runs, fearing that Rory's life was in his hands and the phones showing up, he needed an escape from the fantasy these four walls provided. For once, Harry needed to return to reality.

Staring at the blank wall in front of him, he tried to follow Rory's explicit orders and relax.

What a load of bullshit that was.

The door creaked open, and Stefano entered the room with two glasses in one hand and a bottle in the other. "Are you alright, son?"

"That seems like a loaded question these days."

"Well, on days where I feel that way, this normally helps," he said, extending a glass of amber liquid. "Don't worry. Doctor said it was fine for you to have. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Harry's eyes fell on the crystal glass clutched in his hand. "I don't know," he admitted, "My head has never felt so...."

"Lost?"

He winced. "I don't like that word."

"I don't either." Stefano sighed. "But I know that feeling. It doesn't feel like I struggled with the same thing long ago." The man sat down. "You've been operating a certain way you're entire life. Understandably, a new mindset is overwhelming. It's an entirely new way of operating - you're allowed to give yourself the time to adjust."

"But how do I know that I won't be ruining someone else in the process?"

"May I be blunt and ask if this someone is Miss Young?"

Harry opted for silence by taking a long sip from his glass. The burn provided a hint of relief as it coaxed down the back of his throat. But draining the remainder of the liquid only offered a way out of answering for so long.

Releasing a heavy breath, Harry finally replied, "For once, I'm thinking about what's best for someone I care about. And I'm worried that what's best for her is us not being together."

"And why's that?"

He scoffed. "Really?"

"Really," Stefano repeated. "Why do you believe it's best you two aren't together? You two certainly care about one another - there's no doubt in my mind that-"

"Handler is using her against me." Harry pinched the bridge of his nose. "If I don't find this serum and play along with these fucked up tasks, Handler is going after her. Rory was already attacked in her apartment, and a sniper was called to target her at the meeting. What's next? What if I fuck something up, and she fucking dies?"

"So, what is your master plan then? Ending things with her to accomplish what?"

"I don't know," he whispered in defeat. "But maybe it will make her less of a target."

"She will never become less of a target, Harry."

"But she might."

Stefano took a sip from his glass, shaking his head at the words he was hearing. "Tell me. What is hiding your feelings about her going to do? Hm? Because the way I see it, you're going to be angry, and you'll act irrationally. You'll make decisions out of impulse instead of strategy. You will cause her more harm and hurt than you-"

Harry glared at the man. "No, I fucking won't-"

"Yes, you will. And you know why? Because you are not Zero-Zero-One anymore." Stefano's voice dropped in volume as he added, "You may still possess his skills and training, but you, Harry, are your own man now. You have full control of your own thoughts and feelings. And that means you must be honest or completely remove any feelings for her. There is no in-between - that puts her life at risk."

He blinked, returning his gaze to the empty glass in his hands. "I can't," he whispered. "I can't remove my feelings for her. I've tried... but it's fucking impossible."

"I understand. Trust me, I do."

"You do?"

"I was in your exact spot once. I thought pushing away my feelings would protect the person I loved because I feared what would happen to them when they were exposed as my vulnerability. But all that did was cause more pain and suffering."

"So, what did you do?"

"We became a team." Stefano reached for the bottle and refilled their glasses. "I was never a person that believed I needed anyone else. I thought I could handle everything on my own. But realizing it was okay to need someone else made me stronger - it made us stronger. And I can confidently say I wouldn't be alive today without her."

Raising the glass to his lips, Harry sipped his beverage as he listened to the man's words. It all sounded right. But he couldn't help but fear it would all be a mistake.

"Let's try something. I'll ask you a question, and you respond with a yes or no right away. Got it?"

"Yes."

"Excellent." The man grinned. "Do you care about Miss Young?"

"Yes."

"Would you do anything for her?"

"Yes."

"Would you kill anyone for her?"

"Yes."

"Do you see yourself spending the rest of your life with her?"

"Yes." His eyes widened at how effortlessly the answer fell from his lips. There was no need to think about it. He knew it in his heart to be true. Nothing would ever compare to Rory, and there was no doubt in his mind that his future either involved her or no one.

"I don't want to hurt her again," Harry admitted.

"Then don't. Fight for her. Fight alongside her. But don't fight against her. Trust me when I say that will only cause more harm." Stefano spoke lowly, adding, "Miss Young is strong and far more intelligent than any of us combined. She can hold her own. And on the off chance she can't, you won't be alone in ensuring her safety. Understood?"

Harry drained his glass in one fluid motion. "Understood."

"Good." Stefano clasped his hand across Harry's back. "I believe the staff should have packed all your belongings by now. Are you all set to return home?"

Placing the empty glass on the table, he followed Stefano out of the room and down the hall. Harry started thinking of a plan. They would make their way home. Rory would get settled - a week or two seemed like enough time. He could get a feel for their situation. Maybe being home would ignite a spark. Or perhaps, it would expose the truth that she wanted nothing to do with him. Harry knew he would have to accept that if that was the case. He couldn't force them to be together - obviously. However, now he understood pretending his feelings for her didn't exist wasn't an option.

As he noticed her standing by the front door, the realization of how strong his feelings were came to the forefront. Everything about her was perfect. Harry watched as she listened to whatever the Doctor said, noting how her eyes lit up with intrigue. A smile played on her lips as she replied, and a hint of delicate laugh was evident.

But nothing prepared him for the moment her head turned and her doe-eyed glance met his. He never imagined feeling this way for someone else in his wildest dreams. She had done a number on him; Harry knew it was true. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

The brainwashed assassin had turned into a lovesick puppy for his smart-mouthed thief. It was a love story for the ages.

Rory stepped forward and placed her hand on his arm. "Everything okay?"

"Everything's perfect. Let's go home."

A quick round of goodbyes was exchanged before the two got into the car. There wasn't a long emotional send-off, considering the Romano household was hardly a twenty-minute drive. Plus, given their current circumstances, a reunion would happen within the next few days. But Harry could sense the connection Rory shared with the Doctor and Stefano and didn't dare rush her goodbye.

"Are you okay?" he asked once they were settled in the backseat.

She nodded, placing her hand on his thigh. "Are you?"

"I am now."

"I'm glad." Resting her head on his shoulder, she added, "You were right. It's nice escaping to a fantasy world, but at the end of the day, it's not our reality. Once we get home, everything will be better."

It's better because you will be there. "It will. And thank you, Rory."

"You don't have to thank me for anything."

"I do - for everything. I don't tell you nearly enough."

"You do enough for me, Harry."

"No, I really fucking don't. But I promise you that from now until you stop wanting to tolerate me, I'll do everything I can to prove my forgiveness."

A smile crossed her lips as she gently squeezed his thigh. "Okay," she whispered before closing her eyes and resting for the remainder of the car ride home.

XX

WELCOME HOME, RORY!

Rory beamed as she looked at the sign hanging in the entryway. Decorated with glitter and balloons, the sight nearly brought her to tears.

"Do you like it?" Kip asked, bouncing on the balls of his feet with excitement.

"I love it! Did you make it?"

As the kid nodded proudly, Rory thanked him with a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey!" Dallas cried. "I helped too!"

"You just hung it up."

"Still helped," he muttered.

"Well, thank you as well, Dallas," she said, leaning over to kiss his cheek.

Dallas reddened at the gesture. "Oh, you know," he choked out, face flushing with heat, "it was n-nothing."

Eyes scanning the space around her, Rory realized she felt at home. It was an odd thought for her, considering this was far from her house. But there was a familiarity that she enjoyed, one that extended far past the nights she had already spent here. This sense of familiarity made it feel like not just a home.

And as she looked to the stairs, watching Harry descend from putting the bags in her room, it all clicked.

It felt like their home.

"Everything alright?"

She nodded. "So far."

"Well, everything here is pretty much the same. I made sure the kitchen was stalked up with your favourite snacks, and I got the largest coffee machine with all these buttons I don't fucking understand," Harry explained. "But, can I show you your bedroom?"

"Is it not the same?"

Harry extended his hand. "Come on," he said, nodding upstairs.

Rory wouldn't have said no. But the excitement in his eyes made her more intrigued than ever before to take his hand and follow his lead. They travelled up the familiar staircase and down the hall. Stopping outside the door Rory knew to be hers, the excitement faltered from her face as Harry revealed a bare room.

There was a new bed in the center of the room. It was smaller - a better fit for one person than two- and the walls were covered with a fresh coat of paint.

"I like the bed," she commented, not wanting to sound ungrateful.

"This isn't your room, Bambi."

"Oh." Her brow furrowed. "Wait, what?"

"This is where I'll be sleeping. I got rid of the headboard with the markings," he pointed to the bed frame, "and we covered up all the carvings I left on the walls. It's a fresh start in here for me." Guiding her out of the room and to the next door, he said, "This room will be yours."

Rory felt her breath catch in her throat as Harry opened the door. She looked around the space, trying to take everything in before her mind spun out of control in a mixture of confusion. Everything from the bedroom in her old apartment decorated the room. Frames with various pictures from when she was younger to weeks ago with her friends were displayed on the dresser alongside her ballerina jewelry box. Her favourite mirror hung on the wall next to posters from her favourite concerts. Even the fake plant she bought on a whim made its way onto a side table. 

Stepping to the bed, she ran her hand across the linen sheets and smiled at Pebbles, spotting him in front of the mountain of pillows. The bathroom included all her favourite products - just like it always was. And the chest of drawers already had clothing options - some of her items and some of his.

"W-why did you give me your room?"

Harry shrugged. "Fresh start. And this room has more closet space," he said, opening the double doors to show off the ample hanger space. "Do you like it?"

Biting the inside of her cheek, she nodded in response, fearing that an overwhelming amount of tears would overflow if she spoke.

"There's one more thing I want to show you. Right through there." Harry pointed at the door in the corner of the room. "Go on."

Far too overwhelmed by everything, Rory didn't have the mental capacity to question whether she had ever noticed the extra door in his - now her - bedroom before. And once that door was opened, she could no longer hold back her tears.

"It used to be a small office space," he explained, "and the old door was here, which to the hallway, but the guys sealed that off and installed this one," he pointed to the door they just walked through, "so it's completely private. Do you like it?" Harry pinched his bottom lip and nervously rocked back and forth on his feet. Noting the tear fall down her cheek, Harry's eyes widened in fear. "Shit. Do you hate it? I know it's small-"

Rory held up her hand to silence him. "I love it," she managed out in a whisper, wiping her eyes. "I fucking love it, Harry."

Harry had built her a private library.

Her own library. 

The walls were covered with so many shelves she expected to fit at least a hundred textbooks. Maybe more. She was giddy with excitement over the thought.

"This is insane, Harry," she said in amazement, running her hand across the wood. "I only mentioned wanting a bookshelf this morning! How the fuck did they get this done in time?"

"Oh, this was in the works a while ago. That's why the boys hadn't been around for the past few days - they were getting this ready. Well, back then, I didn't know you would be moving in for sure, but I wanted to be prepared regardless." His head turned, hearing a crash downstairs. "I need to check on that."

"Yeah, go ahead," she said, wiping her eyes once again, "I should probably clean myself up and unpack a bit."

Another crash, followed by shouting voices, was evident. Harry gave her an apologetic look before hurrying out of the room and down the stairs. Left alone in her library, Rory couldn't help but let out a quiet squeal of delight. She couldn't wait to fill all the shelves and spend every hour in here. With excitement getting the best of her, she hurried to her luggage from the Romano household to find her book.

Opening the bag, she dug through the items until she found the hardcover book at the bottom. A puzzled look crossed her expression as she took it out. It wasn't her book. It was a journal. She opened to the front page, only to be left with more questions than answers.

"Hey, sorry. What do you want for dinner? Kip said-" Harry fell silent in the doorway. "What's wrong?"

"What?"

"You're crying. Is it still over the library, Bambi?"

Rory wiped her cheek, surprised to find her fingers wet with tears. "Oh. I didn't, uh, realize."

"You didn't realize you were crying?" Harry asked, slightly concerned by her admission.

"No, I didn't." She gestured at the notebook in her hand. "What is this?"

His face paled. "Where did you find that?"

"It was in my bag. The staff must have put it in there by accident, but I didn't know what it was, so I opened it. I-I promise I wasn't snooping through your things."

"I didn't think you had," he told her honestly. Releasing a heavy breath, he sat beside her. "Well, sometimes certain things get a tad blurry in my mind... you know, when I get robotic," a smile crossed his lips using her chosen descriptive word, "I kept worrying that I would forget the important Rory facts, so I started writing them down."

"When did you start this?"

Pinching his bottom lip with his index finger and thumb, Harry went off in thought for a brief moment. "I can't remember. A while ago. Maybe after our first date?" He nodded to himself, shaking his finger. "Yeah, when we saw Benny." Pointing at one of the items listed near the top, he added, "That was the first time we danced together."

Her brows furrowed. "But you only went out with me that night so your sidekicks could go through my apartment."

"Technically-"

"And you kept adding things...." Looking near the bottom of the list, she mumbled, "Princess Rory... I told you about that last night." A slight gasp left her lips. "The last one was from this morning." She quickly closed the notebook and placed it on the bed before getting to her feet. "This was a mistake."

"What was?"

"I'm so stupid," she whispered, shaking her head. "What was I thinking? Moving in with someone when I already struggle enough with my feelings for them and-"

"Feelings?" he repeated. "After all the shit that's happened, you still have feelings for me?"

"Of course I do, you idiot. I can't just turn off how I feel about you. I wish I could - trust me, I tried. But, here I am, being delusional and thinking we can act like this and I won't get hurt when you, I don't know, start seeing someone else."

"That won't happen."

"Why not? You're single. You can do whatever you want, and I..." her voice fell to a whisper, "And I can't get in the way of that."

He stepped forward. "It's never going to happen, Rory."

"You sound so sure."

"Because I am. I'm not going to sleep around with other people to get over you. I don't want to get over you."

"I don't need you to lie to me."

"I'm not-"

"I don't need you to be nice to me to feed into my delusions of us or what we might be."

"That's not-"

"What do you want from me, Harry?"

Harry sighed. "Are you going to actually let me answer?"

"Yes," she huffed. "Just tell me. Right now. What do you want?"

Without a beat of hesitation, he replied, "You." Harry took another step toward her. "And thank you for finally shutting your mouth so I can tell you that," he teased, dipping his head forward. "I only want you, Rory. Now and forever."

Her mouth instantly ran dry over his response. "A-Are you sure about that?" Her voice trembled, shocked by his honesty. "Forever's a long time."

"I've never been so sure about something in my entire fucking life, Rory."

"So you kept adding to that list because...."

"Because I never want to forget something you like or care about. And I know I fuck up a lot. But I promise I'm trying my best to limit how many more fuck ups I make."

Rory crossed her arms over her chest. "Well, you forgot to include something pretty obvious under the like column."

Quickly grabbing the notebook off the bed, Harry flipped to the page. His brow furrowed as he scanned the list. "What?"

"I like you."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Unfortunately." With a sigh, she returned to her spot on the bed. "I feel like an ass now that I don't have a list of what you like and don't like."

"It would be a short list. I dislike everything you hate. And I only like one thing. Rory."

She rolled her eyes. "There has to be more than just me."

"Fine. I guess I like Stick," he said, nodding to the toy cow on the bed.

"Pebbles!"

"Actually, we chatted, and he said he likes the name Stick."

"You're such a dork."

"A dork you like."

"Unfortunately like," she corrected.

Harry flipped to a blank page in the notebook. "Well, since we already established my list of likes and dislikes, how about you make your own list?"

"What am I supposed to write down?"

"Whatever you want. It's Rory's list of things."

She chewed her bottom lip. "Are these things we'll do together?"

"If that's what you want."

"It is."

Harry smiled. "Then it's Rory's list of things - that we will do together."

"My hands shaking. Can you write it?"

Taking the items from her, he pressed pen to paper and asked, "What's first?"

"I want to go to the movies."

"The movies?"

She nodded. "I want you to take me to the movie theatre." Noting his stare, she quickly added, "You said it was my list."

"I know I did. I'm just..." his voice trailed off as his grin broadened. "You can say whatever you want, and the first thing you pick is going to see a movie."

"Not any movie - a movie I pick."

"I-"

"And I want you to buy me the biggest popcorn."

"Okay-"

"And candy. However much I want."

"Got-"

"And whatever jumbo-sized cup they have for drinks."

Harry nodded along, quickly scribbling down every word she listed. "Understood."

"Okay, now number two... I want you to take me dancing at least once a month."

"I-"

"And I don't want you to complain the entire time we're there."

"Okay-"

"Did you write that part down?"

"Yes, Bambi." He turned the notebook. "See? I even underlined it."

Leaning over to confirm, she mumbled, "Okay." Her front teeth pulled at her bottom lip. "Can we celebrate Christmas together?"

"Sure-"

"And get a big tree that everyone can decorate? And then we can all have a big dinner together? Oh," her eyes lit up with excitement, "And instead of getting gifts for each other, we could all buy toys for kids in need?"

"I think that's a great idea." Harry was reminded at that moment how pure her heart truly was. Even when she had the chance to make a list fulfilling her wildest dreams, she thought about others. However, wanting to spoil her, he did his best to guide her towards providing something on the list he could fulfill. "Now, why don't you pick something big for the next one?"

"Like what?"

"How about..." his voice trailed off, "Traveling! Is there any place you want to go?"

Rory nodded.

"Where?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. "Lots of places. But I don't have a passport."

"Don't worry about that."

"Does this mean you'll get me a passport?"

Harry grinned at her innocence. "Something like that," he said. "But forget about the passport. Where have you always wanted to go?"

"I guess somewhere with snow. I like snow." Her bottom lip pouted as she focused on places. "Or maybe..." she shook her head. "Nevermind."

"Tell me."

"No, it's too much-"

"Tell me, Rory."

"Paris," she blurted out. "I've always dreamed of going to Paris."

Scribbling down the location, he said, "Paris it is." 

She blinked, shocked by how effortless that was. Just because it was on the right didn't mean it had to happen, right? It wasn't a written rule enforced by law. Right? Besides, It's not like they could randomly go to Paris one day... especially not with how slow Rory heard the passport offices could be. They would have to plan a trip like that. It would take months. Maybe even years. 

"What's next on your list for us?"

That's a loaded fucking question.

"I..." Rory cleared her throat. "I don't have anything else."

"Oh, come on, Bambi. Yes, you do." 

She hunched her shoulders. "No, I don't."

"I could see your gears turning." He gently tapped the end of the pen to her forehead. "Tell me."

"What if I say something that I want... but you don't?"

"There's nothing you could say that I wouldn't want. If it involves you, I want it, Bambi."

The confident smile he wore forced the already prominent pit in her stomach to expand. Even the thought of saying this made her want to throw up. But she had to know. She had to know if there was any chance for them to work out in the future. Right?

Don't think about it. Just say it.

Oh, god.

Just say it.

I can't.

Say it!

"What if I want to get married?"

"Then we'll get married."

Rory expected him to confirm her fears over the idea of her mentioning marriage. When he didn't, her lips parted in astonishment, trying to comprehend his nonchalant answer.

"W-what?"

"Did you forget about this already?" Harry held up his hand and wiggled his ring finger - showing off the tattoo with the first initial of her name inked on his skin. "Adding a ring there doesn't change anything. Except that I'll get to call you my wife." He paused, allowing his grin to widen. "I like the sound of that. My wife."

Hearing him say such a thing so effortlessly caused her eyes to widen. "You really want to marry me?"

"Of course, I would. But I know I have a lot to work on before we take that step - a lot I must do to prove to you that I am the man I want to be." Harry placed his hand on her thigh. "And I promise I'll prove that to you."

Well, that was easy. Surely it can't be that bad to ask... "What if I want to have kids?"

The smile he proudly wore seconds ago completely disappeared once the question left her lips. With a widened, fear-struck gaze, he repeated, "Kids."

Her eyes fell to her lap, attention focusing on her fidgeting hands as she tried to ignore the look on his face. "Forget I said anything," she mumbled, "It was stupid to bring up."

Harry pinched his bottom lip, lost in thought. "Kids..." he repeated again, "Is that what you want?"

"I want the chance to give a child the kind of love that was taken away from me," she quietly admitted. As the silence began to make an appearance, Rory blurted out, "It's probably something I won't even end up wanting-"

"Rory-"

"I mean, me being a mother? That's crazy, right?"

"Rory-"

"No one looks at me and goes, oh yeah, she's fit to be a parent!"

"Rory!"

Meeting his glance, she squeaked out a meek, "Yes?"

"Don't spiral on me, Bambi. It's nothing to do with that. And, by the way, let me be fucking clear, you would be a fantastic mother. I'm just trying to figure out how that would work."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I know it's not something we have to decide now, but... would we go to a clinic and find a donor?" 

Harry shouldn't have been worrying about her spiralling - he should have focused on his own. He couldn't have kids. Well, he could. But clearly, anyone with two functioning brain cells would realize someone like him wasn't supposed to reproduce. And considering Rory was the most intelligent person he knew, Harry concluded that she would need someone (or something) else to have that child with. 

"Can you just walk into those places and buy a sample?"

"Harry-"

"Or, I'm sure Dallas would be more than happy to take one for the team. Or..."

"Harry-"

"Or finance-douche? I'm sure he would make a good Dad. Would he then be the side piece? Or would I? Would it be like a weekend-"

"Harry!

"Yeah?"

"What the fuck are you on about?"

"I'm trying to think about how you would get pregnant!"

Rory's head cocked to the side. "Is there something wrong with your sperm?"

"No," he said, his tone laced with a slight hint of defence.

"Okay. So why the fuck are you thinking about Dallas or Andrew being the biological father to our currently nonexistent baby when your swimmers work?"

Harry's eyes widened. "Our baby," he repeated.

"Nonexistent," she quickly clarified. "Our current nonexistent baby."

"You want to have a baby with me?"

"Yes," she uttered without realizing, "I mean, maybe one day."

"And you want me to take care of the child with you?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Well, I wouldn't fucking do it on my own!" 

"Shit, no. I just meant, are you sure you want me to be the father? Me?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

The corner of his mouth tugged into a smile as a light laugh escaped. "Because of everything I got going on," he tapped his forehead, "upstairs."

"Harry, this is years down the line. And you're already in therapy. I'm sure it wouldn't be the worst thing if I started some of my own... and, you know, if we're both in a good place, and the times right... and we both want to, then-"

"We will have a baby."

Rory shrugged. "Yeah. I mean... I know it sounds fucking crazy to even be talking about this right now when we don't even have a definition of what this is," she waved her hand back and forth in the space between them, "But I just want to be honest because... I think about this a lot. And the way you talk about us and how we're permanent... you have no idea how long I've wanted someone to say things like that to me. But I can't be permanent with someone if I don't have that choice, and I don't want to force someone to have that life if they don't want it-"

"I do-"

"Because it's not just getting married or having a baby that I might want."

"Then what is it?"

"I think I might want the life that comes with it. The life where everyone lives together in a house with a white picket fence. I think I want that." She inhaled a sharp breath. "I think I want to be normal."

"Normal," he repeated the word slowly. "That's what you want?"

She shrugged her shoulders, eyes falling to her lap. "I don't know."

"A normal life - is that what you want, Rory?"

"I said I don't-"

"Yes, you do." Harry tucked two fingers under her chin and tilted her head. "Tell me, Rory. If you had the choice, would you want to be normal?"

She bit the inside of her cheek, attempting to dismiss the tears that pricked the corner of her eyes. Slowly, her head nodded in response. The sudden action filled her body with regret as she waited for him to tell her she was crazy for thinking that way. Or worse, laugh at her delusion.

But Harry didn't do that.

Not even a flinch in his expression hinted towards it.

"When this is all over... I promise you, Rory. We'll disappear somewhere, and I'll give you that normal life you've always wanted. Okay?"

"Would you really be able to walk away from this life?"

"Easily. There is no life without you in it."

Those were the kind of words Rory never expected someone to say to her - about her. She had always dreamed of it. But nothing prepared her for the real thing. Not only was she not prepared to hear the words, but she wasn't ready to believe the person telling her such a thing.

No lies. No schemes. No games.

Rory believed Harry. And Harry meant every word.

"What about the three boys?"

"I'll buy them a tent - they can camp out in the backyard."

Rory rolled her eyes, pressing her lips together to suppress a laugh.

"I'm serious," he said, "Besides, we'll probably need all the free babysitting we can get if we're going to have a bunch of babies running around."

"How does the fact I just brought up that one day I could possibly want to get married and have kids not scare you?"

"Because it's with you." Raising his hand to her chin gently, he whispered, "Everything makes sense when it's with you."

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she asked, "What if you wake up one morning and change your mind?"

"That's not going to happen."

"But what if-"

"What did we say about what if's, Bambi? It's not going to happen." Harry leaned closer. "You see this good in me that no one has ever seen. I don't know why... or how... but you see it. And I want to be that good for you always. You make me want to be better. Work harder. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for you believing in me."

"That's not true. You would have managed-"

"No," he interrupted. "I wouldn't have. When the Doctor ran her trials, the only thing that got me through was remembering what you said after finding out about my past."

You're not defined by what they forced you to become.

"Your words got me through it."

"It all sounds too good to be true," she whispered. "People like us aren't supposed to have a happily ever after."

"Says who?"

"I don't know," she said, shrugging her heavy shoulders, "Like all the romance books and movies ever made."

"Really? I think we're just like it."

Rory stifled a laugh. "How the fuck are we just like that?"

"We had that meet cute moment when-"

"When you fucked me in the alley and threatened my life?"

"When I knew I was in trouble from that first kiss," he whispered. "I've always told you how addicting these lips of yours are, Bambi. You had me under your spell from the beginning." His words were true - and it slightly pained him to admit it out loud. The girl he was meant to kill was truly an impossible task for him to follow through with. All over a single kiss. "The way I feel about you is confusing... mind-numbing... overwhelming to the point where all I'm consumed by is you."

"Is that supposed to be a good thing?"

"Baby, it's the best fucking thing. I've never felt like this before," he admitted, "You don't understand how crazy you make me... it blows my mind how perfect someone can be... I've never felt this way before... let alone thought someone could make me feel like you do."

"Really?"

"Really," he affirmed. "You know, this belonged to my mother," he said, looking down at the metal band around his finger. "My father was too much of a cheap bastard to get her a wedding band... so she went out and brought her own. I used to never understand why she wore it - something that represented a symbol of a union between her and that piece of shit. But as I got older, I realized it had nothing to do with him. It's because she stood up for herself - got something he disapproved of with her own money... so he could never hold it against her."

"She sounds like a badass."

Harry beamed, appreciating hearing her speak of his mother in the present and not in the past. "She is," he said. "Give me your left hand."

With a furrowed brow, she followed orders without so much of a sound. Her curiosity only increased as she watched him remove the ring from his pinkie and slide it onto her ring finger. But before she could ask about her new piece of jewelry, Harry said, "This is my promise to you, Bambi."

"Promise for what?"

"That when this mission is over, you say the word when you're ready to disappear, and I promise, we will do exactly that," he said. "Find a little house with the white picket fence... get married... have our little army of kids... and be normal."

"You would really do that for me?"

"I'd do it for us, Rory."

"For us," she repeated. "I like that."

"Yeah? Should I add that to your list, then?"

A grin spread across her lips as she nodded. "But first, I need you to pinkie promise that this is it, Harry. No more bullshit. No more lies. No more secrets. Just us."

"I promise. Just us." Holding up his pinkie finger, he hooked it around hers. He smiled, noticing how small and fragile it looked compared to his. "We're a team. It's you and me, baby."

"You have to seal it with a kiss!" She pressed her lips against the pad of her thumb. Eyes peering up to look at him, she was pleasantly surprised to see him following along without hesitation. As their thumbs pressed together, locking the promise in a child-like fashion, Rory leaned closer. "Now, seal it with a proper kiss."

Harry removed the distance between them, raising the hand not occupied in the pinkie swear to her cheek. Rory swore she heard him whisper a desperate 'thank god' before pressing his lips to hers. But the second their lips met, her mind became far too consumed by his kiss to think about the desperate sound of his voice from seconds ago.

Everything felt perfect in that kiss because, for once, it was.

Agonizing denial was finally released as they each dove head first into a pool of temptation. The Devil and his Bambi had sealed their fate.

The kiss broke, allowing a necessary breath as an unrecognizable expression washed across them. It was unknown back then what it truly meant, but the glance they shared would always be remembered.

It was the first time they looked at another person with pure love in their hearts.

The killer and his thief were in love. 

Two things had never been clearer in his mind. The fact that he was in love. And that he couldn't wait to marry her. 

insider information: this chapter with harry falling in love & the discovery of the list was one of the first cute rory/harry moments i planned for the book. hope u liked it :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 533 20
"It feels like tasting poison, the more my tongue discovers her flesh the more addicted I become." Adeline seeks comfort in her studies, she...
39.6K 993 109
Sometimes, not every love story can be as idyllic as it should be. Dean Winchester, bred and raised in the mafia, carried a heart that yearned desper...
297K 9.7K 54
When Harry hijacks her car in the middle of the night, Harley is forced to become a getaway driver for one of New Orleans' most fearsome criminals. T...