Strangers To Lovers

By marie200013

In a world where devotion and love clash, Ella Smith finds herself at a fork in the road. Driven by her need... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
"Chapter three"
Chapter Four
"Chapter five"
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
chapter Twenty- Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-One
Chapter Fourty-Two
Chapter Fourty-Three
Chapter Fourty-Four
Chapter Fourty-Five
Chapter Fourty-Six
Chapter Fourty-Seven
Chapter Fourty-Eight
Chapter Fourty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Epilogue.

Chapter Six

23 16 0
By marie200013

My phone buzzed in my pocket for the eighth time in the last twenty minutes. Each time, the vibration jolted me, unsettling my focus. Reluctantly, I pulled it out, and Luke Connor's name flashed on the screen again. A mixture of dread and anger swirled in my chest. How could someone be so insistent? He was calling every two minutes as if I'd magically answer if he kept at it. Was he a stalker? A psychopath? I’d never had anyone harass me so persistently before.

Sighing, I made the decision. No more. I powered off the phone, banishing his attempts to the void. The momentary peace was a relief, though I knew it wouldn’t last. "Luke again?" a voice called from the back.

Donna, my co-worker, peered out from behind the espresso machine, raising an eyebrow. She glanced at me knowingly, a small smirk tugging at her lips. "Girl, he’s persistent. What’s he want now?"

I grumbled, throwing a towel over my shoulder. "Who knows? I sent him a weekly schedule for the Coffee House like he asked, but apparently, he didn’t get it—or worse, he did and still thinks I’m available while I’m working."

Donna shook her head with a chuckle. "Some men just can’t take a hint."

The grinder abruptly screeched to a halt, and I turned my attention back to the machine, my mind buzzing like the malfunctioning appliance. My brother, Jeremy, flashed in my thoughts—how his life had spiraled, dragging mine down with it. He’d been drinking that night, sure, but did he really steal a car? Every time I thought about it, a heavy knot twisted in my stomach. I didn’t believe it, yet the CCTV footage at the pub didn’t lie. He’d been caught on tape, stumbling out drunk.

"How long does Jeremy have left?" Donna’s voice broke through my thoughts.

I snapped back to the present, my hand hovering over the grinder. "Six months," I muttered, feeling the weight of those words in my chest. "Feels like forever."

Donna's face softened. "That’s tough, girl. But hey, maybe he’ll get out early for good behavior."

I forced a smile, though the doubt gnawed at me. Jeremy had never been one for ‘good behavior.’ Still, the thought of him being locked away—alone—filled me with an uneasy sadness. He was all I had, aside from Grandpa, who was too old to bear the brunt of this family burden.

Just then, the store phone rang, pulling me out of my reverie. I jumped, startled by the shrill noise. Donna laughed. "Man, you’re on edge today!"

I gave her a withering look, though a small smile broke through. "Don’t remind me," I grumbled, walking over to the counter to answer the phone. "Poughkeepsie Coffee House, Ella speaking, how can I—"

"Don’t hang up."

Luke’s voice slithered through the line before I could finish my greeting. My grip on the receiver tightened. Of course, it was him. Who else could it be?

"You’ve got ten seconds to say something worthwhile before I hang up on you," I snapped, keeping my tone flat and professional, though the irritation simmered beneath the surface.

"Your phone isn’t working," he replied, his tone annoyingly nonchalant.

"I’m at work, Luke. What do you want?"

There was a pause on the other end, and I could picture him, leaning back with that cocky grin I hated—and maybe found annoyingly attractive. "I have plans for us tonight."

"Plans?" I asked, narrowing my eyes as if he could see my skepticism through the phone.

"Yeah, it’s our first date."

A mixture of disbelief and irritation bubbled up. "What makes you think I’m going on a date with you?" I asked, trying to maintain my cool. "I’m in the middle of my shift. You know, that thing where I work?"

He ignored my sarcasm, and I could almost hear the shrug in his voice. "I’ll pick you up at four. You don’t need to dress fancy."

I scoffed, shaking my head. "I didn’t agree to this, and no, I’m not dressing fancy for you."

"We’ll see about that," he said, a smugness lacing his words. Before I could respond, he hung up, leaving me staring at the receiver in disbelief.

Donna leaned against the counter, watching me with wide eyes. "Let me guess. A date?"

I rolled my eyes. "Something like that."

"Exciting!" she teased, her voice lilting with humor.

"Nerve-wracking is more like it." I sighed, wiping down the counter with more force than necessary.

When I finally got home, my tiny, run-down apartment greeted me like a disappointing friend. The building was as dilapidated as ever—peeling paint, cracked windows, and the faint smell of mildew. I locked the door behind me and leaned against it, sighing.

I didn’t have time to think about how much I hated this place. I had an hour to shower and get ready, and the clock was ticking.

I rushed to the bathroom, taking the quickest shower possible, my mind racing about what to wear. As I rummaged through my closet, a wave of panic hit me. I’d thrown out most of my old clothes during the move, and now all I had were a few basic t-shirts and jeans. Perfect.

My phone buzzed again. I grabbed it from the bed, seeing Luke's name flashing across the screen. Gritting my teeth, I answered.

"How the hell did you find my address?" I asked before he could speak.

"Google’s a powerful thing," he replied, his voice far too casual for my liking. "I’m outside. Hurry up."

I moved to the window, peeking out cautiously. Sure enough, a sleek black BMW idled on the street below. Of course, he’d show up in something flashy.

Groaning, I threw on the first shirt I could find, slipped into my jeans, and hurried downstairs, my heart racing. I wasn’t sure if it was excitement, nerves, or dread—probably all three.

Luke rolled down the window as I approached. His eyes raked over me, and I suddenly felt underdressed, but I wasn’t about to let him see that.

"Hop in," he said, his voice smooth. I hesitated for a moment, then opened the door, sliding into the passenger seat.

As we pulled away, I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. He was dressed in a navy blue button-up shirt, a black tie loose around his neck, and dark jeans that somehow made him look effortlessly stylish. The confidence oozing off him was almost palpable.

"You really live in that dump?" he asked, his tone half-amused.

I stiffened. "It’s affordable."

He snorted, shaking his head. "Sure."

I clenched my fists in my lap, biting back the retort that threatened to spill out. This was going to be a long two hours.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 63.8K 48
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
166 1 13
Morgan is going back to school, again. It's time to get cooking, and Morgan is on her third attempt at getting her life together. She's determined to...
139K 3.6K 98
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...
150K 7.9K 54
NOTE: I REVISED BEFORE YOU GO, SO THERE WILL BE SOME MISINFORMATION IN THIS ONE REGARDING LEON & ELIZA'S RELATIONSHIP. I WILL FIX IT SOON, THOUGH! *...