The Redhead of the Sea (Jack...

By Vigilante24

Artemis Hazelstone Swann, daughter of a merchant and adopted by the governor of Port Royal; Weatherby Swann. ... More

Chapter 1: A Ceremony Gone Wrong
Chapter 2: Captain Jack Sparrow
Chapter 3: Under Attack
Chapter 4: The Plan
Chapter 5: Tortuga
Chapter 6: New Plan & Crew
Chapter 7: Sails, Rumours & The Code
Chapter 8: Plan be dammed
Chapter 9: Naval Battle
Chapter 10: Prisoners
Chapter 11: Memories
Chapter 12: Saving & Wedding Promises
Chapter 13: Final Fight & New Beginnings
Book 2: Into the Sequels, we go
Chapter 14: Wedding Crushing & Prison Breaking
Chapter 15: Cannibals & Bittersweet Reunions
Chapter 16: Tia Dalma
Chapter 17: Davy Jones & Deals
Chapter 18: Secret Plans & Hidden Motives
Chapter 19: Conflicted & Betrayed
Chapter 20: The Buried Chest
Chapter 21: Pearl vs Dutchman
Chapter 22: Abandoning Ship & Captain
Chapter 23: A Dream Turned True
Chapter 24: Temporary Alliance
Chapter 25: Into the Locker, we go
Chapter 26: Open Past Wounds
Chapter 27: Escaping the Locker
Chapter 28: Secret Deals & 'Old Friends'
Chapter 30: Confessions & Shipwreck Cove
Chapter 31: Calypso?!
Chapter 32: Last Chance for Negotiations
Chapter 33: Let's Free Calypso
Chapter 34: Let the Battle Begin!
Chapter 35: The Casualties of War
Chapter 36: Parting Ways
On Stranger Tides
Chapter 37: A Deal with the BlackBearded Devil
Chapter 38: The Prophecy & the Plan
Chapter 39: 1st Day on Queen Anne's Revenge
Chapter 40: Mutiny Gone Wrong
Chapter 41: The Price of Betrayal
Chapter 42: Immortal Love
Chapter 43: New Plans & New Promises
Chapter 44: Mermaids on the Attack
Chapter 45: We Got One!
Chapter 46: We are all Expendables
Playlist
Chapter 47: Temporarily Separated

Chapter 29: Buried Memories

324 11 4
By Vigilante24

On top of the Pearl, the Pirates were victorious. They either killed or tossed over the soldiers except for Mercer who had jumped into the sea before they could catch him. Since he was out of the way, Artemis had wasted no time in shouting orders and quickly helping with the sails.

Elizabeth had joined Sao Feng and his crew. They had made an agreement to meetagreedg Court and Artemis silently prayed that nothing would go wrong after that.

Once all of the foreign men were off the ship, one way or another, and the Pearl was ready, they started to sail. However, they all came to a halt and stopped what they were doing when they heard a familiar cry.

Above their heads, Jack flew with his ankle tied with a rope to a passing cannonball. It kept going, passing above the deck, their head and towards the sea at the other side.

Everyone followed, the sound of splashing water forcing them to look down in worry. Considering if Jack fell into the water, they had to save him. That, if he managed to free his leg before the heavy cannonball took him into the depths of the ocean.

No sign of Jack and Artemis was not sure how to feel about everything. She was thinking of just jumping into the Sea and finding him, only to notice that Barbossa had turned and was staring at someone with an annoyed look.

She, and the rest of the crew, followed his gaze and found Jack safe and sound; not to mention free from the rope. He had his hands folded in front of his chest and a smug smirk on his face, not hiding his amusement from seeing everyone panicking and having him for dead.

"And that was without a single drop of rum" he gloated, earning an eye roll from his former first mate. He then jumped down and looked at Will. "Send this pestilent traitorous cow-hearted yeasty codpiece to the brig"

As his orders were followed and everyone scattered, Artemis stayed. Once they were on their own, in a way, the redhead started to approach him. "I see no limps missing or an angry hoard of British soldiers behind you" she joked as she stood in front of him.

"Lassie...who am I?"

"Captain Jack Sparrow" He grinned as the ship kept going, the sound of falling mass made them look behind and see Beckett's ship in bad condition. "Nicely done" she added, a relieved smile that they were not only getting away from that man but had also caused him enough damage to force him to stay back.

She turned to look back at Jack, who gave a theatrical bow most mockingly. It amused her and she did not hide it, yet graced him with one of her smiles. She hadn't smiled in long, ever since the incident with the Kraken and the Pearl getting lost. Perhaps, even before that and Jack had missed it.

However, the joyful mood changed as Jack's face turned serious. It was one of those rare moments when he was dead serious and it worried Artemis. He looked around before looking into her single eye. "You have a past with Beckett, don't you?"

Her smile had disappeared, her single blue eye opening wider once she realised that Jack had found out. How much, it was unknown but he knew more than enough. Now, how exactly he did...she was not sure and she didn't truly want to know.

She let out a sigh, realizing that some secrets could only be kept that long. Thankfully, he was the only one about to learn the truth and that was better than having a bigger audience. She looked around, ensuring that they were alone and grabbed Jack's wrist, pulling him as far away from everyone as possible.

"What did he tell you?" she asked, looking into his brown eyes.

"He seemed quite fond of you. Now, you know that I do not like secrets, Lassie. I want the truth" he said, pushing a strand of red hair behind her ear and away from her beautiful eye that he always admired.

The redhead looked to the side, eyes locking on the endless blue sea as if would offer her some comfort. In a way, it did. She folded her hands in front of her chest, trying to keep her tough persona as she tried to organise her mind and think of what to say to him and how to start the story.

"I do...It started before you came Jack... a few years back...after I was found by the Navy" she stated, memories flashing into her mind. "We met at a ball, held then by the Governor...I was blind back then, didn't see him for whom he truly was..."

She remembered the ball and the fancy dress she had been forced to wear. While Elizabeth had gotten the attention of many young men and suitors, Artemis was left to the side. Few men dared to talk to her but everyone knew who she truly was. Ladies of the Court gossiped about her past and her upbringing and of course, her injured eye.

Beckett had been the only one, who approached and showed interest. Back then, Artemis' hatred for pirates was strong. After they had taken everything from her, she was blinded by grief and rage. He was the only one, who seemed to share the same view on the pirates and that already became their most common thing.

In addition, he did not seem as interested in physical appearances and his questions were often targeted at her knowledge of the sea and the currents. He was cultured and he did not hide it, making her even feel faintly intimidated by his knowledge that surpassed hers. While she had done training on many subjects, courtesy of growing up and spending a few months with Elizabeth, she could never reach his level.

Unless it was about ships. Only then did she seem to be a worthy opponent in terms of knowledge and experience.

"It was supposed to be one dance but soon...invitations came... He requested my presence in more events...and he made it clear what he had in mind..." she took a moment to take a deep breath, Jack listening intensely without interrupting her. "When a man requests a certain woman to be his side that often, and invite her to specific balls...it is a grooming practise and eventually leads to one thing..."

Jack seemed to understand. "Marriage" he continued for her, the word and the mere idea leaving his mouth with a sour aftertaste as he saved her the trouble of saying it. She turned to finally look at him, surprised he knew about it. Yet, Jack had proven more than once that he possessed knowledge of many fields. His next question caught her fully off guard. "Did he touch you?"

Her lips parted faintly as she blinked and looked at him. She could see the darkness in his eyes at just the mere implication that something more had happened between them back then. She shivered at the idea and rubbed her hands faintly as she shook her head.

"Not really. He kept the etiquettes but he did try...in a way"

Artemis had been walking with Beckett in the back garden of the fancy mansion they had been for the sake of the Spring Suitor Bowl that had been hosted by a rich family. Elizabeth had not attended, for her engagement to James had already been arranged.

The redhead, on the other hand, had been invited and so had Beckett, which offered a small relief to have a familiar face in the crowd. However, the way she was seeing him had changed over the years and her instincts were warning her to stay away.

He came to a halt and so did she, looking at him as it was clear that he wanted to say something. After a moment of antagonizing silence, which he enjoyed causing to study her reaction, he spoke.

"It is time, Artemis. My latest position as Lord is almost ensured and there is no need for any more waiting"

She had stayed quiet, afraid he would eventually say those words. She had long realised what his true intentions were when he often requested her presence. It was a sign to other suitors not to make a move.

The Governor had also realised that Beckett had an interest in her and had tried to persuade her to speed things up. She was growing older and women her age were already married to someone, least engaged.

Even though she did not want to, her chances were getting less and less with each passing season. She could not remain alone forever, for she risked bringing same and mud on the name of the very same man that had taken in when she had no one. The Governor had taken his risk by letting her into his family and he had tried hard to give her what he saw was best.

She had closed her single eye for a moment, remembering her father's last words to her before the fight. He had also wished for her to settle down with someone and perhaps, this was the only chance she would get.

She felt a hand holding her chin, directing her head to face the owner of the hand. Opening her eye, she realised that Beckett had stepped closer, his face now in closer proximity to hers, than before. Before she could realise what would happen, he kissed her.

It was momentary, lasting a few seconds but it was more than enough for her. She never returned the action, her whole body warning her to stay away and so she did. With all the grace she could muster, she pulled back and tried her best to hold her self from slapping him. She was close, her hand shaking from the tension but she fought against all her hidden urges...for the sake of the Governor.

"I..." she cleared her throat. "I need to think about it"

Artemis had been rubbing her hands a little more now, feeling goosebumps forming on her skin at the memory she was forced to bring up and remember. A memory she had locked away in the deepest corners of her mind.

"After that, he left for a trip for a few months but kept sending letters. The last one arrived two days before you did...saying he would come to visit the Governor and make it official..." she explained, her eye never leaving his.

She could see the faintest tension of his facial muscles, clear that he did not like the story but he did not make any comment. Instead, there was a slight understanding in his brown orbs as if he could relate and in a way...he could.

"He is still after it, Lassie" he admitted, remembering what he had told him back on the ship.

She scoffed faintly, not surprised by his words. "I know...but it is not going to happen either way, Jack." She took another breath. "If we lose this battle, I am taking myself to the Locker Jack. I am not going back"

Jack gave the faintest of smiles, seeing that burning fire in her eyes. She was determined not to fail and her words made it clear that she shared no feelings for the man that threatened to wipe all the Pirates from the face of the Earth.

It was a relief to him, for during her story he had started to suspect that there had been something between them. Yet, there hadn't and never would be. "That is good to hear Lassie"

She gave a small smile at his words, glad that he approved and understood her. However, one thing remained in her mind and she had to ask...now was the best time for who knew what would follow next. "Jack, what is your past with him?"

Her question made his smile drop, painful memories passing through his mind. A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he took a step back. "He is the man from my story, Lassie. He is the one who sunk my ship and branded me as a Pirate"

His brown eyes cast a shadow and his hand that bared the 'P' symbol was subconsciously stiff. He could still recall the hot iron that was pressed against his skin and the cold chains around his wrists. A hand grabbed it, a sense of warmth spreading and soothing the burning sensation as a thumb gently moved above the mark.

She did not say anything else but it was her way, considering the circumstances and everything that had taken place, to show that she was there for him and she would not leave him; not anytime soon.

EDITED: 9/3/2024

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90K 1.7K 28
Maria Swann thought she had her life all planned. Her Father's second favorite in line to marry the second in command. All was planned until she real...
520K 12.8K 17
Felicity Adams, a feisty, red headed girl growing up in port royal with Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner, has always had a deep and desperate passion...
147K 3.9K 46
Evelyn Archer is like none other, yet no other knows Evelyn - the true Evelyn. Pushed to Port Royal for some unknown reason, she believes that it was...
193K 6K 15
"Not all treasure's silver and gold mate." ~ During the 17th Century, the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea are nothing more than a vast playg...