ᴡᴀʟʟғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝He built himself the perfect barricade, and she brought with her, the perfect demolition tool❞ Introverted... More

WALLFLOWER
PLAYLIST & AESTHETICS
1 | Enclosed Specimen
2 | Reserved rudeness
3 | Reasonable conversation
4 | Numbers never lie
5 | Endgame
6 | Olive branch
7 | Wilted dreams
8 | Equal proportions
9 | Milestones
10 | Vintage galleries
11 | Varieties & Extremities
12 | We're not friends
13 | Periodic Table
14 | Someone else's battle
16 | Daytime Witch
17 | Adult-napper
18 | Just a bite
19 | Peace offering
20 | Death Sentence
21 | Drunk Jenga
22 | Overdramatic
23 | Kitchen treason
24 | Secrets to spill
25 | Muse (Not)
26 | Willingly
27 | Non-date
28 | Next step
29 | Sticky Situation

15 | Lounge Peak

58 25 4
By sawvvy

At some point, it seemed Didi became my sun.

I mean she was fucking everywhere. Every breath I took, there she was. A blink and she's appeared causing havoc. It was like my life orbited around her and the funny thing was that, whether I liked it or not, I was going to get tangled in whatever mess she created.

I let out another sigh as I sat in my car, trying my hardest to ignore Karen's pleading face.

"Just make sure she's okay Soma." Karen went on. "I don't think she's in the right state of mind to be on her own please."

I huffed. "What is she? An infant?"

Karen's shoulders sagged and immediately I felt bad for putting her through the stress she was going through. Looking at her made me proud of sticking to my choice of having no friends. Friendship... Relationship... They were a boatcrab of emotional abuse and baggage. None of them made sense. Instead, they bring burden and troubles wherever they went.

"She's just never acted like that before." The exhausted girl continued. "She's usually levelheaded and calm. I just don't know what happened."

I fought the urge to snort. Didi levelheaded? As in, the annoying girl who glories in getting on my nerves calm? There has to be a mistake somewhere. These days, a lot of movies have been going on about the multiverse and whatnot. The Didi she was talking about must be from an alternate universe.

However, I didn't want to burden Karen further. I conceded. Not because of Didi or the asshole Lade, who too doesn't know how to let trouble be. But because I felt bad for the poor girl. She was some sort of an emotional punching bag a while ago and watching that was exhausting. Imagine being her.

"Fine. I'll do it." I said begrudgingly. "But if I don't find her, I'll make my way home." I knew I was bluffing.

Karen let out a relieved sigh. "Yeah, thank you so much Soma." She glanced at Lade who was a sulking mess, leaning against her little orange sports car. "I'll find a way to get him home."

Shrugging, I nodded. "He's all yours." If it were me. I'd leave him stranded, but oh well...

"Thank you." Karen repeated before I shut close my car door, getting ready to hit the road all the while, asking myself why I let myself get dragged into Lade's mess for the second time.

Earlier this morning, I'd gone to the Beechworth local gym with Lade, who had thought that the private gym in his house was too boring for him. And after taking an Uber to my house to persuade me and claim being stranded in front of Mum. I had been pushed, more like, bullied emotionally into taking him. Fast forward after taking several videos from several angles for his stupid tiktok, he decided that he wants to grab a few bites.

Here we are, with no bites taken while I'm on some rescue mission to retrieve a girl.

Driving off the Mall's parking lot and into the mildly busy Beechworth street, with the summer sun making it hard for me to properly gaze around, I increased the air con in the car, settling to cool myself or more, my brain before searching for the annoying girl.

I was just about to take a turn when I saw her retreating figure walking, more like stumping her way down the street. One look at her would tell that she was annoyed.

Her black sling bag was held carelessly like she was barely holding it. I took her in as I drove slowly from behind, from her full hair that was unpacked, falling on her neck. Her little strapless top perfect for the hot weather, cotton flowy trousers that swayed with the little wind the hot sun permitted and the slightly oversized Crocs her feet were tucked into.

As if annoyed with her hair, she pushed it aside as she stumped ahead while I scoffed from inside the comfort of my ride. Who leaves their hair to have a free fall under this hot sun? It can only be Didi.

Rolling my eyes and tired of observing her, I drove a little fast, now driving beside her and at her pace, I caught her attention.

Scowling, she turned to glare at me or more at my car. I rolled down window.

"Get in."

She was sweating and the scowl and annoyance was getting on her nerves in seconds. Although that look on her was making my day better.

"Leave me alone." She threw back, still stumping forward, causing me to roll my eyes.

Like she could out walk a car. She couldn't even outrun it.

"Get in Didi." I said again, adding a dramatic effect as I blared the car horn. "Don't let me ask again."

"Avoid me grumpy." Was her careless reply.

I huffed. "Avoid you? Well that's kinda the goal, I'm just trying to fulfill an obligation here." I paused. "And by the way, you're the grumpy one here. Not me."

When she took another turn, coming face to face with the scorching sun as she shielded her face from it, I smirked. Finding little joy at her predicament.

"Being stubborn sure has its perks." I began as she threw me a glare which I returned with a triumphant smirk. "But I'm sure getting roasted under this scorching sun isn't one of them."

She stopped and so did I. "Stop following me Somadina."

I rolled my eyes. "Just get into the damn car. Unlike you, some of us have better things to do than getting burnt under the sun."

She hissed. "I wasn't stopping you from chasing after your better things grumpy."

I was getting tired of this nonsense. "Get into the car or I'll make sure to honk so loud after you that people will think you owe me boat load of money-"

"You wouldn't dare-"

I blared out the first honk as she began walking fast, while I drove after her. Honk after honk I went on, causing attention to be trained on her.

When she had enough, she stopped and so did I.

"Open up." She gritted out, looking around us as passersby stared on.

Smiling, I leaned back on the car seat. "Now you do the begging."

Her glare was hard. "Fuck you."

I shrugged as she began walking again. While I resumed my honking, glorying in seeing her mortified and annoyed at the same time.

She stopped again, glaring thunderstorms at me. "Open the fucking door Soma."

"Your words?"

She huffed out a breath before glaring more thunderstorms at me. "Please..."

I was enjoying this a bit too much. I had to say, seeing a different side of Didi other than the bubbly side she always displayed was rewarding. Also, I could tell she was really angry as she stared at me, breathing a little too fast.

But who cared. "Say it properly Didi." I grilled, adding extra effect with the honk.

"Open the door please." She finally gritted out still throwing glares my way.

Beaming with satisfaction, I let the door open and watched as she yanked it open to hop in, her glare still in place.

Contemplating on grilling her further or letting her be, I settled for the latter.

"Where to?"

She shut her eyes for a moment and heaved out a breath, to perhaps, calm herself down.

"Lounge peak please."

One wouldn't miss the bite that accompanied her words.

•••

Of all places in Beechworth, I found Lounge peak to be one of my least favorite.

Lounge peak was one of Beechworth's numerous tourist sights. It was named lounge because, the rocks were shaped like large lounge chairs and peak because it was a cliff. And again, there was nothing special about lounge peak. It had lots of tourists and locals swarming it during the summer and a lot of people going for dives as I've heard, which I wasn't going to be part of.

Killing the engine at the spot I'd been given to park after paying the required fee, I watched Didi fiddle with her full hair, getting frustrated in seconds as she struggled to pack them.

Tired of watching the exhausting sight, I searched through the console where I found a random silk scarf that probably belonged to Mum.

"Here." I offered, getting her attention.

She stared at me suspiciously before seeing the scarf in my hand.

"Thanks." She took it from me and went back to fiddling with her hair.

I took the time to look around the space before me. I'd never been to lounge peak before. Mainly because, Mum didn't have time to drag me out, she barely survived asking me to go to the beach and because, I didn't see the need to jump around lounge looking cliffs.

"Hey, little help here please." Didi nudged me, cutting short my survey.

"What?"

She gestured to her hair. "Help me hold these up?"

Her hands were wrapped around her full hair, while the silk scarf I gave her was draped around her neck.

Confused, I looked from her wild tresses to the scarf on her neck. "How?"

"Just..." She trailed off, tightening her hold on her hair. "help me hold my hair in place while I tie this scarf around it."

I nodded, even though I barely understood what she meant. Releasing myself from the seatbelt holding me in place, I turned to face her, leaning closer as I wrapped my hands around hers which held on to her hair. Then slowly, she let go, while I held her hair in place. It was then I let out a relieved breath I didn't know I was holding.

The first thing I noticed about her hair was that it was fucking soft. It felt like silk on my finger as I ran them through her hair, discreetly, loving the feel of its softness against my finger. The second thing I noticed was that her hair smelt like coconut cream. I've never had coconut cream before, I've never seen one before, however it just felt right to say her hair smelt like one. It was so bad that I wanted to inhale. Scratch that, I did inhale, but not deeply.

"You can let go now." She said, after she secured her hair with the scarf.

The end result was beautiful. Not perfect, slightly rough, but still beautiful.

"How's it?" Didi asked, smoothing her edges which looked like overgrown baby hairs.

Her hair was perfect. "It's okay."

She nodded. "At least it's better than when it was down."

Her hair was perfect either way. "Yeah it is."

Clapping her hands together, she let open the door, immediately letting the hot summer wind into the cool car.

She looked at me expectantly. "Aren't you coming out?"

I looked behind her. The cliff wasn't as crowded as the the valley was. The valley had mobile ice cream vans littering around, with tiny and cute looking kiosks to meet people's cravings and needs. All in all, it was abuzz with people. Happy and downright hyperactive people, which as you all know wasn't my cup of tea.

"No thanks. I'll just chill here." And besides, the sun had fangs and claws. I wasn't ready to get torn apart.

She grinned. "Your antisocial ass can't escape this one." She gestured to the guard who'd given us the parking pass.

Above his shade was written. No loitering in the car.

I scowled at the new development. While Didi was beaming like a cheshire cat.

"This doesn't make sense." I muttered, throwing a glare the guard's way.

Didi rolled her eyes. "And you think loitering around in your car makes sense? Look around you, everyone is here to have a good time and not mope around. There are people who are struggling to get a good legal parking space to avoid getting their cars tolled." She shook her head in disbelief. "I can't believe you would rather stay locked up inside here than have fun."

Scoffing, I properly killed the engine. "What's your definition of fun."

Not helping herself, she let out a defeated sigh. As if she couldn't believe someone like me existed.

Y'all remind me why I'm in her company again.

I let myself out of my ride, same time Didi came down, slamming the car door.

"Keys?" She requested, stretching out her palm.

I stared at her dubiously, not trusting her for a second. "Why?"

"For safe keeping obviously." She voiced like it was an obvious fact.

"Don't worry, I know how to keep what's mine safe." I smiled half-heartedly at her, patting the pocket of my sweats where I'd dropped the key into.

She scoffed. "Nobody's going to run away with your ride." She should keep talking. "Even if it is totally not a bad idea."

To that, I shot her a glare which she met with a happy shrug. She was slowly getting back to her usual self and I didn't know if it was a bad idea bringing her here. Spending time with usual bubbly and fun loving Didi was both mentally and physically exhausting.

"Alright fine." She finally said, looking around us. "Here's a tourist sight and a lot of cars get stolen while people are busy having fun. Forget the guards and all the security. You wouldn't ask a guy driving a car that's under your supposed watch if the car is his. Your keys could get swiped from under your nose if you aren't careful here. And the yoga pant is a little obvious."

I glared at her at the mention of yoga pants. They're  sweats for Christ's sake! I was still suspicious, but she did have a point. I wasn't ready for any drama. I've had enough for the day.

"Fine." Reluctantly, I handed her the car key. "Just handle it with care."

She nodded, dropping it into the tiny pockets of her sling bag. "Yessir." Looking ahead, she smiled at people fluttering around in two pieces and swim gears, some wet. "Do you know how to swim?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Had no choice."

"How?"

"Mum sort of took the whole island boy, island girl campaign to heart and made sure I learnt how to swim." I replied, remembering the infamous Don't Sink just Swim Awareness that went around while I was in primary school.

People were sort of drowning in pools and beaches and the government had to step up to offer swim lessons and safeguards to Beechworth natives with their rhyming slogans and compelling quotes. One which really sounded compelling to Mum. Also, she didn't want her only son dying. These were her words.

I looked at Didi who was smiling, as if remembering a fond memory. "What about you? Do you swim?"

"Yeah." She was quick to answer. "I... Uh learnt early too."

For a moment, I thought she was about to reveal something there. "That's cool. But," I narrowed my eyes at her as she offered me an innocent smile. "I'm not going to swim. You're totally on your own."

Laughing, she led the way as we began walking to a large lounge looking clearing that overlooked the vast ocean. Popularly known as the Peak.

"Sure Soma, stop being a cry baby about it."  She teased.

I glared at her. "I'm not being a cry baby, you're the one who always acts like a kid."

It was her turn to shoot me a glare. "I do not act like a kid." She shot back. "You're the one who's always grumpy. Always acting as if the whole world is after you or owes you money!"

Woah. " Now that's a lie. I just like to mind my own business and prefer a little 'me' time. There's no rule that states that one shouldn't do that!"

Didi laughed. She fucking laughed at my words. "Mind your own business?" She laughed mockingly at me as we sort a space amidst the body of people to settle on. "Minding one's business? That's Azra. She can do whatever, parties and even hangs with her friends but we all know she prefers her books and personal space. That is why, when she needs them, we let her have them. But you Soma, you're just a grumpy child who feels the world owes him shit for just existing."

It was my turn to scoff. "And what do you suggest? I party around and hang around with a bunch of people to finally get my space?"

"Of course, you would interpret it that way,"
Rolling her eyes, we found a spot that was almost too close to the edge and Didi sat down, without blankets or covering. I eyed the spot she sat on.

"Those were your exact words." I took a step back when the image of the ocean was making me woozy. "How did you expect me to interpret them."

"Make time for people around you..." She stressed out like she was educating an infant. "No man's an island Somadina. Hang with your friends, check up on them... Ask about them, what is up with them once in a while. Show that you care about them. After that, you can go crawl back into whatever cave you want to crawl back into."

I huffed. "You will need to have friends to care for."

My words didn't surprise her one bit. "And Lade and Khalid are what? Acquaintances?"

Shrugging, I looked around me, still feeling spooked out at the large body of water surrounding me. Just as a group of young adults dived simultaneously into the ocean. Their loud voices catching everyone's attention and causing me to flinch.

"They are just people I put up with," I glared at her as she offered me an eyeroll. "like you."

"Of course, you would deny your friends. You and Lade are basically same persons. Except one acts like he has no girlfriend and the other acts like he has no friends."

Somehow, her insinuation had me annoyed. I was nothing like Lade. "That's a lie."

She smiled knowingly. "But we both know it's the truth. Birds of same feathers, they say, flock together."

I was glaring at her in seconds, not loving where the conversation was headed. Of all people to be likened to, Lade was the least on the list. Friend or no friend. I wasn't an asshole, pronto.

"That means you and Karen are basically same." Before I could stop myself, the words were running out of my mouth. "Going back over and over again to a guy who fucks you over."

Didi's eyes went round in subtle anger before returning back to normal. I could tell I'd poked a nerve and she was livid as she tried to mask her anger with a smile. "Why? Does it bother you so much to be likened to Lade."

"Look, I'm sorry." I said instead, feeling my annoyance go down a notch. Interactions with Didi never ended well.

She nodded, standing up. "I'm not angry."

Her expression was neutral, however, I took what I got.

"Uh... Okay."

"Help me take a picture. The sun is giving."

I didn't know if I was taken aback by her immediate change of discussion or her forgiveness. But I obliged nonetheless as I took out my cellphone and took an awkward shot of her.

"Let me see?" She asked stretching out her hands.

After looking at the picture, she swiftly switched position, causing the sun to shine directly on her face.

"Take the shots from this angle." She instructed, facing the ocean. I nodded awkwardly again, moving back to get a better shot of her.

After taking a few shots, I handed the phone back to her, the exchange getting awkward in seconds.

I didn't know what she was thinking with the neutral expression gracing her face. The Didi I knew was either happy, too happy or just annoyed to stump her feet as she walked.

However, I didn't get to ponder on the awkward exchange for long because, I felt someone shove at me with much force that had me flying in the air.

Too soon, I figured I was heading for a nose dive into the blue sea.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 13K 45
He loosens his grip from my waist and I begin to slip under. My faces scrunches up in discomfort, and he grabs a hold of me. He pulls me closer to hi...
1.4K 114 20
When Summer makes a bet with his best friend to remain romance free for the summer it seems easy to him. He has rarely dated or had much interest in...
21.4K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
3.1K 488 49
"Oh look, she's here, again, yuppie" "Is that sarcasm, William?" "Yes, how did you know?" 🧡🧡🧡 Will has everything he could ask for. A loving famil...