Storm and Silence

By RobThier

"It is your choice," he said, stepping so close to me that our lips were almost touching. "Either do what I s... More

01. Arrested for Good Manners
02. Ape Bobby
03. Who He Really Is
04. Sweet and Solid
05. Driving Me Wild(ly)
06. Empire House
07. His Indecent Demands
08. Inventing a Sibling and Getting Poked in the Eye
09. File Fight
10. The Worst Fate Imaginable
11. The Dragon's Den
12. Practicing Impertinence
13. Ballroom Battle
14. The Sins of Mr Rikkard Ambrose
15. It gets mushy-gushy
16. Unsuitable Suitors
17. Return to the Game
18. The Peril of Flowers
19. The Discovery
20. Threats and Secrets
21. I Defend my Honour, More's the Pity
22. My All-Important Task
23. Little Ifrit
24. The Beauty and the Vegetables
25. I Go Dress-Shopping
26. My Little Secret
27. The Thief
28. Improving my Skirt
29. The Key to Him
30. I Make Lieutenant-Pancake
31. Prospects of Matrimonial Misery
32. More Misery Behind the Bush
33. What To Do with Pink?
34. Going to the Room that Doesn't Exist
35. Problems? What Problems?
36. Sisters' Battles
37. Ambrosian Waste Disposal Squad
38. The Adversary
39. Pink Espionage
40. Dysfunctional Dismissal
41. To Meet without Trousers
42. In Tow
43. Twice Surprise
44. A Duel of Eyes
45. To Dance with him
46. Secret Plans and Politics
47. The Message Lock
48. Woes of Love
49. And a few more woes of love
50. Threats and Decisions
51. The Great Hunt of Green Park
52. Pinching and Planning
53. On Dates
54. Bloody Work
55. My lies run away with me
56. The Importance of Being Nice
57. Am I a Chimpanzee?
58. The Speech
59. The other speech
60. I realize I danced with a Criminal Mastermind
61. Cosy Little Coach Ride
62. I Mash and Bend Myself
63. I Bend Myself a Little Further
64. Napoleon and all the Little Piggies
66. Hallucination Manicure
67. Unluckily Unlocked
68. Looking for Truffles and Butterflies
69. Seeing Stars
70. A Trace of Fire brings the Winter
71. I Polish my Housebreaking-Skills
72. Unreal Dream of a Really Wonderful Nightmare
73. Victory Party
74. Sisterly Love
75. Biting Metaphorical Heads
76. Secrets of the Toilet
77. Different Sorts of Silence
78. Competition
79. A Waist of Tigers
80. Behind the Mask
81. Trapped
82. Pneumatic Freedom
83. A Man's Work
84. Bifurcated
85. Lion's Den
86. Lion's Jaws
87. Nemesis
88. Danger! Explosive Cargo!
89. Lessons in Power
90. A Special Person
91. Isle Marbeau
92. Mine and Yours
93. The Tortoise and the other Tortoise and no Hare
94. Shots in the Dark
95. Urania
96. Rising Waves
97. Man and Woman
THE SEQUEL
Goodreads Choice Award Finalist

65. Fighting Spirit

938K 59.8K 93.6K
By RobThier

One of the men stepped forward. Or maybe two, or three. It was all kind of blurry to me. But there was something sharp glinting in his/their hand(s), I could see that much—and that sent a cold chill through me which, for now, brought me back to earth. For the first time I realized these men might, possibly, not be here to join the little yellow piggies in their dance routine. But what else could they be here for?

The man with the knife smiled at Mr Ambrose, who was still wearing Warren's dirty jacket and cap.

"Hm. Can't say I can see what's so special about you. Can you, men?"

There was a round of guffaws from the other dark shapes. Even my befuddled brain realized – the man who had spoken was the leader. The others were his henchmen. And they were all carrying knives. Bloody heck! They hadn't come to slaughter the dancing yellow piggies, had they? If so, I would defend them with my last breath!

"You look like something that's crawled out of the gutter, apart from that pretty face of yours," the man spat. "Well, pretty boy, I think you've stepped on the toes of some high and mighty people hereabouts. We was told by some posh bloke you needed a reminder of who was the in charge."

Mr Ambrose regarded the other man as if he were a cockroach not worth stepping on. Ha! He apparently wasn't pleased that they had come to kill the dancing piggies either. My heart went out to him with a warmth that I didn't know it possessed for any man. He would save the cute little yellow ones, I was sure!

"Indeed?" His voice was as cold as ever, and I revelled in it. "And what was the name of that gentlemen who thought I required such a reminder, if I may inquire?"

"My, you talk mighty fine." The piggy-murderer smirked. "Well, as I sees it, you won't have no need to know his name. You'll be dead soon enough."

Laughing again, the men came closer. On some level I knew that should worry me. But the dancing yellow piggies, completely unaware of the danger, had suddenly appeared on the wall of the house opposite me, and I couldn't stand for them to be so near the danger! Anger boiled up inside me. Who cared about some men with thingies... knives! Yes, that's what they were called. Who cared about some men with knives, anyway, while artistically talented, cute little animals were in danger?

The men stepped closer again. The knives glinted.

"Karim?"

Mr Ambrose's voice was so low I hardly heard it.

"Yes, Sahib?"

"On my command."

"Yes, Sahib."

Mr Ambrose concentrated on the leader, wielding his voice like a whip.

"So... this 'rich bloke', as you choose to call him... did he give you any information about me besides my description? Any indication who he was sending you off to attack?"

The man's step faltered for a second.

"No. Why?" His voice was suspicious.

"Ah." Mr Ambrose nodded curtly. "That explains it."

"That explains what?" the leader spat.

"Why you came with so few men," Mr Ambrose told him. "Too few." He brought his hands up and together, and a sharp clap echoed through the alley. "Now!"

More shapes appeared out of the darkness all around us, behind the thugs. At first I thought they might be Napoleon or Alexander the Great coming to help me conquer the world, but they were men in workmen's and sailors' gear, with grim, determined looks on their faces and knives in their hands. Several of them held glinting objects that weren't knives. I didn't realize what they were until one of the men raised his weapon and a thunderclap tore the air between the dirty East End houses.

Yay! The cavalry of piggy-protectors had arrived!

Light flashed as the gun went off, and I stumbled backwards against Mr Ambrose, startled by the light. Two hard arms gripped me around the waist and swung me around, depositing me behind somebody's back, as more gunshots went off.

"Who..." I mumbled.

"Warren's men!" A familiar, cold voice hissed next to my ear. "Now be quiet! You don't want to draw attention yourself!"

Mr Ambrose? It was Mr Ambrose who had shoved me behind his back? Was he... protecting me? Surely, that was not an efficient use of his time and resources. After all, a disgustingly rich financier was surely worth more pounds sterling than a rebellious little female such as myself. And anyway, there were others who needed protection more than me! I looked around searchingly for any of the yellow piggies, but they seemed to have gone for now. Very wise.

"Warren's men...?" I mumbled drowsily, trying to make sense of what was going on. I had thought this was the official piggy protection squad arrived just in time. "But... you sent them away."

"I sent Warren away. The men stayed. Standard security procedure. Now belt up!"

He was half-dragging, half-pushing me, away from the fight and towards the chaise. I dug my heels into the ground, looking around for my piggy dance troop. Maybe there were some stragglers we had to bring with us.

"What are you doing? We have to get out of here!"

"I'm looking for the yellow piggies," I explained, my voice a little slurred for some reason. "Have you seen the yellow piggies?"

"What?"

Suddenly, a figure appeared in front of us. I grinned broadly, thinking it was one of my little yellow dancers—but it was just a thug with a revolver in his hand. Dang!

"Look what we 'ave here," he leered. "I think-"

Without pausing, Mr Ambrose brought up his knee and drove it between the man's legs. Gasping, he doubled over and dropped the revolver

Throwing him aside like a dirty dish rag, Mr Ambrose pulled me behind a dysfunctional lamp post that stood halfway between the entrance to the pub and the waiting chaise that he seemed to be intent on getting to for some reason. I wondered why. We had to stay here and fight and die bravely in defence of the piggies, didn't we? That's what Alexander and Napoleon were doing. And from what I'd just seen, Mr Ambrose could give those two a run for their money.

Interestedly, I looked back and forth between Mr Ambrose, intent on the chaise, and the man who lay a few feet behind us, groaning on the ground.

"You just kicked those men in the... in the..." I hesitated. To be honest, I wasn't absolutely sure what parts of male anatomy lay in this particular spot. I just knew that kicking them was generally a very good idea.

"Yes, I did." Mr Ambrose voice was unconcerned. He didn't take his eyes off the chaise for a moment, waiting for his opportunity.

"But... but you're a gentleman!"

"Yes. In all parts, Mr Linton."

"Um... I see."

I didn't really. But I would never have admitted that.

"When I tell you to run," Mr Ambrose hissed, "you run." His eyes roamed the darkness, as if they could pierce it by sheer force of will. "Three... two... one... Run!"

We darted from behind the lamp post, racing across the street towards the dark silhouette of the chaise. The beast of a grey horse was still standing where we had left it, apparently completely unconcerned by the fact that bullets were flying around its ears.

Around us, men were fighting and dying. The chaise came nearer and nearer. Twenty yards. Fifteen. Ten...

Another man appeared in front of us, and I sprang forward immediately. I wasn't about to be outdone by Mr Ambrose! Quickly, I raised my foot and kicked out.

The figure ducked away, and I heard Karim's deep voice, cursing. "Kī naraka! What are you doing, Ifrit?"

"Oh. It's you. I'm s-"

Before I could finish he pushed me aside, and reached for the sabre at his belt. I saw a glint of metal and heard a scream out of the darkness. Something wet sprayed my face.

Strange, I mused. It isn't raining, is it?

Then another flash of gunfire illuminated the alley and I saw that it was raining. It was raining red stuff. How funny. That meant the yellow piggies would have red spots at the end of the evening. That would look really spiffing!

"Quickly, Sahib!" Karim had drawn his own gun now – a longish thing of glinting metal and dark wood, and he was firing quickly and precisely. "Go! There are more coming!"

"Then let us face them!" I yelled, waving a fist in the air. "My strength is as the strength of ten because my heart is pure!"

Somebody grabbed me again and dragged me away.

"Let go of me!" I yelled and struggled.

"Have you gone completely insane?" I heard Mr Ambrose burning cold voice in my ear. "Be quiet and we may get out of this alive!"

Ignoring my protest, he dragged me further towards the coach. Behind me, I heard Karim shouting war cries in a language I don't know. Well, at least he would stay behind to protect the piggies. That might be enough.

We had almost reached the chaise when the gang leader jumped out from behind the horse and raised his gun to point directly at Mr Ambrose's chest.

"Who the 'ell are you?" He snarled. "Where did these buggers come from?" There was fear flickering in his wild eyes, and they didn't stay trained on his target like they should have. His men were more numerous, but Warren's so-called 'associates' were fighting like trained soldiers. Maybe that's what they were. A private army trained for the defence of dancing animals! I was so proud of them.

"I see your employer failed to inform you who you're dealing with." The cold in Mr Ambrose voice was so intense that I was surprised not to see the gang leader freeze on the spot.

The leader cocked his gun. "Tell your men to stop fighting, or I'll put a bullet through your chest!" He snarled. "Now!"

Mr Ambrose shrugged. "Very well. I'll give the signal."

He raised a hand, and gave a short, sharp wave. The gang leader smiled.

Suddenly, the giant grey horse behind him reared up on its hind legs, kicking out wildly. With strangled scream, the gang leader was thrown forward onto the cobblestones. A red puddle formed around his head.

"Just not the signal you want," Mr Ambrose told the corpse.

In a flash, he had dragged me past the dead man and to the chaise and pushed me inside. "Good boy." He patted the horse on the neck, and for a moment I though I saw a smile on his face. But no... that couldn't be.

"You there!" He yelled. "On the box! Now!"

One of Warren's men, who had just finished off another of the thugs, rushed to do his master's bidding and swung himself onto the box. Quickly, he grabbed the whip and cracked it over the horses head.

"Gee up!"

Mr Ambrose managed to jump into the chaise just in time. It took off down the street at an alarming speed. Dark houses rushed past us, and the screams behind us grew fainter and fainter. Slowly, I sank back into the old upholstery. Through the dreamy haze that surrounds my brain, I start to realize something.

"I've just been in a gunfight," I said, lazily. It was getting really hard to keep my eyes open.

"You certainly have," a cool voice said next to me. There was a short silence. Then the cool voice continued: "I suppose you now understand what kind of situation you signed up for. I shall of course understand that you wish to leave your post. I shall have all the necessary resignation papers prepared for you in the morning. You will have to come to sign..."

"I've just been in a gunfight," I repeated, not really listening to whoever was speaking. Listening was so difficult.

"Yes, you said that already. About the resignation papers..."

"A gunfight! That's... That's spiffing!" I giggled.

Another pause.

Then, the cool voice said, not quite so cool anymore: "It is what?"

"Spiffing. Top-hole. You might even say...  ticketyboo." I giggled again. "I just wish I'd had a gun too! That would have been even more top-hole. I could have put some holes into other people. Top-hole holes! The little piggies would have been proud!"

I nudged the fellow with the cool voice in the ribs. What was his name again? I couldn't remember right now.

There was a stifled groan from the dark. Hm... Wasn't I supposed to know this groaner with the cool voice? If only I could remember his name... his name...

Of course! Mr Ambrose! He had dragged me through the gun fight! Mr Ambrose, who had fought in defence of the little yellow piggies! How romantic...

I giggled again.

"My hero," I drawled, leaning against him. "You rescued me." A frown spread over my face. "Although, now that I think about it, I actually didn't want to be rescued. I wanted to stay there and join the fight."

"Exactly why you needed rescuing," he responded, drily. Suddenly, I noticed that his arm, which had been around my shoulders the whole time he dragged me towards the chaise, was around my shoulders still. Why? And why was it suddenly gripping me so tightly?

"You are incorrigible, Mr Linton," he told me, his voice low, tight, controlled. "Why didn't you do as I told you to? Why, once in your life didn't you do the sensible thing and run?"

My frown deepened into a scowl. "The men didn't run. They fought."

"Because that's they're paid to do! You're paid to stay alive! To stay safe!"

"I'm no coward!" I growled. "I'm as good as any man! And the little piggies needed me!"

"Excuse me... the what? What pigs?"

I rolled my eyes. He was incapable of grasping the simplest, most logical concepts. He didn't even understand dancing yellow pigs. Typical man!

But for some reason, leaning against this annoying man also felt comforting. Somehow, I had slipped sideways, and my head had come to rest against his chest. It felt firm, and oh so warm. But that couldn't be, could it? It was Mr Ambrose. Mr Ambrose was as cold as ice. Surely he would feel icy and hard, not so warm and reassuring.

"Do you think the little piggies will be all right?" I murmured, my eyes drifting closed. I felt very drowsy all of a sudden, and so comfortable...

"I'm sure they will," he whispered, reassuring, his hand squeezing my shoulder. "I'm sure they will."

The last thing I felt before darkness swallowed me up was a hand on my cheek, stroking gently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Lords, Ladies & Gentlemen,

Today, I would like to give a big wagonload of thanks to all my marvelous Punjabi fans who were kind enough to send me all kinds of expletives & curses in their native language for Karim to use in my story. Never before in my life have I received so many fascinating messages, each & every one of which were marked  as "offensive" by the automatic Wattpad spam filter - and I loved every single one of them! ;-) Your suggestions might not have been implemented in this particular chapter, but I shall definitely be keeping a long list, and I'm certain that they will soon come in quite useful in my future writing! After all, it's quite probable that it shall not be long before Lilly gets Karim riled up enough for him to put them to good use. ;-) So thank you very much once more, my dear readers!

And now that the fight is finished, it's time for some Lilly & Ambrose time, don't you agree? The only question which remains is: snuggling or headbutting-or both? ;-)

Yours Truly

Sir Rob

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.8M 1.1M 44
Never do what you're told, never boil your own head in vinegar and, most important of all, never ever marry a man-those have always been Lilly Linton...
33.2M 1.7M 37
In the desert, an instant turns life into death and hate into love. In the desert, everything is different. Boundaries break down, and you find yours...
33.6M 2M 50
Family - the most important thing in the world, right? If it's your own, maybe. But if it's the family of the incredibly powerful, incredibly allurin...
13.1K 507 36
I can remember it like it was yesterday....because it was. "You think you can handle working with me?" He asked smirking. I rolled my eyes, "You're n...