Freaks: Year One

By CuteK86

All of a sudden, the compartment door opened, and a person came in and slammed it shut. Jasper looked at the... More

A/N
I Am Not A Freak
Diagon Alley
Platform 9 And 3/4
The Sorting
New Family
The History Of Flying
Crinus Muto!
An Encounter
Herbology
Unwanted Attention
Some Things Just Needed To Stay A Secret
Dark Forces
Vinegar
Inside
Quidditch And Surveys
The House Next Door
Let Me Help You!
Don't Give Dorothy A Bat
A Way To Get Revenge
A Rainbow Of Puffs
A Memory Was Missing
The Opening Match
Halloween
A Symbol Of Friendship
Don't Let The Spiders Bite
Snow Days
The Christmas Party
He Taught Me The Truth
I Will Never Forget You
A Good Christmas
Different Together
Magic Stealer
A Close One
Another Enemy
Rejected
The Frog Murderer
Your Duty
A Bad Influence
Worries
Terrified For The Future
Nightmares
Take A Break
Happy Birthday
Family Issues
A Very Special Owl
This Stupid Holiday
A Bad Kisser
Abandoned
You Need To Be Normal
He Is All I Have
A Decision
Tradition
The Month Of May
QUACK!
He's My Little Brother, Not A Duck!
He Was Still A Kid
More Similar Than They Thought
You Are Wanted
How A Letter Can Change Your Life

Flying Lessons

119 5 24
By CuteK86

"How are you feeling Jaz?" Harry asked the next day.

Jasper rubbed his eyes, just wanting to go back to sleep. He had a restless night, and he did not want to get into it. "I'm okay, just a bit tired." He hopped off his bed, and grabbed a pair of trousers, and a jumper from his trunk. "I am going to go ask Tutman again." He went into the washroom to change.

Harry yawned, and grabbed his Transfiguration book from his night table, and started to read the content, reviewing what they had done so far. Professor McGonagall had told them to start paying extra attention in lessons as she would be dropping hints for the exams.

He was trying to plan out a studying schedule in his head. They would probably get homework daily now so if Harry did the homework the day he got it, and it took one to two hours, he should be able to study for about 30 minutes after.

It would go something like that. He needed to write it down on a piece of parchment, and he cursed himself for not doing it earlier.

Harry looked over to Gifford, and Jonathan who were still sleeping. Harry shook his head. They were always sleeping, but it was 9:00AM, and it was a Saturday. He picked up Lou, who was nibbling the end of his blanket, and he grabbed some rat food from his trunk, and put a pile in his hands, and Lou nibbled that instead.

"Much better Lou." Harry told her. "Don't want you digesting blanket."

Jasper came out of the washroom, dressed. He went over to Harry, and gave a quick pat to Lou, who was happily munching on rat food. "Also I am starting tutoring today!" Jasper exclaimed, a bit brighter at that. "After lunch."

Harry was stroking Lou's head. "Have fun Jaz." He looked up at him, as Gifford started to stir from his bed. "Tell me how it goes?"

"I will!" Jasper exclaimed. He went to the door. "See you all in a bit!" He left the dorm, and went down the stairs.

Gifford sat up, stretching. "Where's he off to?" He yawned.

"Tutman." Harry replied.

"He seems really worried about Defence." Gifford murmured. "Although you seem nervous about exams too."

"Well, I want to do well." Harry said.

"We all do." Gifford said. "But I get why you're stressed."

"What – how?"

"You have a lot of pressure on you, don't you?" Gifford asked. "I mean we all got that gist from you the first week. You put a lot of pressure on yourself, because of the expectations you are expected to meet."

This was all true. God, why did Gifford have to be so insightful? He was sometimes very good at reading people. Harry noticed a lot of his housemates were. Yes, he needed to do well, if he didn't, he would feel like he disappointed everyone. People assumed him to be perfect, and he needed to keep up the image. Even though many people already knew he wasn't at all talented in things his mother was, he still needed to do well academically. He was not sure if anyone would figure out his reasoning as to why though; it was not just his overwhelming sense that he needed to be successful – or well, it added to that feeling.

Harry sighed. "Well yes, but–"

"Harry, don't worry." Gifford said while putting on his cross necklace. "You will do great! You're really smart, don't overwork yourself."

Harry nodded, taking in these words. He didn't feel smart. Not at all. "Thanks Gifford." He looked over to Jonathan, who was stirring. "Wow, and it is only 9:30."

Gifford looked at his twin. "Wow, him waking before 12 on a weekend. I will mark the calendar!"

"I heard that." Jonathan murmured sleepily from his bed.

Jasper was walking down the Defence Against The Dark Arts corridor with Maryrose. Maryrose was going to the Transfiguration Wing (which was on the way) because she wanted to ask Professor McGonagall a question on the most recent essay that was assigned.

"Hopefully Professor Tutman helps you." Maryrose said. "He has been acting so weird lately."

"I hope he helps." Jasper sighed.

Maryrose watched Jasper, he seemed more on edge ever since Tutman had been acting weirdly. "How are you?" Jasper looked over. "It just seems like you have been nervous about Tutman more than anyone."

"Well..." Jasper tried. "I just really want to be good at Defence, you know?"

"Is someone bullying you?" Maryrose asked, her hair slowly changing from a pale lavender to a light red. It seemed her metamorphosis powers were always in tune with her emotions, Jasper thought it was amazing. He wished he was a metamorphosis. He always had dreams that he somehow changed the way he looked so he could finally run away from his home, and find a family that loved him. Maybe if he was a metamorphosis he could change into an adult, and gain custody of his brothers all the quicker.

Stop being jealous. He scolded himself as he shook his head. "No, well besides some nasty comments from Slytherins, but I just want to be good at it because I think it is...the most important subject!"

"Even more important than flying?" Maryrose asked, smirking.

"Yes." Jasper said, not picking up she was joking.

Maryrose said, "You can always ask Cara or Allen for help. They are prefects, I am sure they know how to do more advanced charms."

"That is a great idea." Jasper said. Why didn't he think of that? "I'll ask Tutman first though."

Maryrose nodded. "I could ask my sister too, she probably knows things like that."

They were in the Defence classroom now. "Great." Jasper said. "Thanks Maryrose."

She smiled. "No problem Jasper." She waved, and walked ahead toward the Transfiguration wing.

Jasper went into the classroom. The door was open. He passed by all the desks, and the board which had Tutman's handwriting scribbled all over it. It was things to review for the exams later in the year.

Jasper went up the stairs to his office, and knocked on the door. There was no answer, so he knocked again, but nothing. Jasper realised Tutman was probably at breakfast, so he left the Defence classroom, and went towards the Great Hall.

Tutman was not there either.

Jasper grabbed a piece of toast, and wondered where Tutman could be. He decided he would take Maryrose's advice, and ask Cara, or Allen for help. Hopefully they would have time with preparation for O.W.L.S.

He ran into Ian when coming out of the Great Hall. "Hey, how have you been Jasper?"

"Pretty good." Jasper replied. "Trying to find Tutman."

"He's been acting weird ever since the holidays ended." Ian commented. "Have you noticed?"

"Oh I have." Jasper said. "I do hope he is okay."

Ian, and Jasper walked up one of the moving staircases. "So..." Ian started, changing the subject from something else besides Tutman's oddness. "You're tutoring Goldsparks in flying?"

Jasper nodded, and smiled. "I'm pretty excited. I have never tutored anyone before."

"He is excited too. He keeps talking about you in the dorm." Ian told him. "Although if Christopher figures it out, he is going to be upset."

"Christopher?"

"His brother." Ian said. "He has been so..." Ian tried to find the right word. "Overbearing of Anthony lately? Well, he always has been like that, but especially now. Always watching him...it's kinda creepy."

Jasper made a face at this. "Maybe he just wants to be sure his brother is okay?" Jasper always wanted to be sure his younger brothers were okay. Maybe it was a part of the older sibling instinct.

Ian shook his head. "They aren't even that clo–" Ian stopped. "Well," He started again, more carefully this time. "He has just been watching him like a hawk lately, so be careful if you are going to meet with Anthony later. I think Christopher doesn't like you much."

"Well, he doesn't." Jasper said. "But how did you know about that?"

Ian shrugged. "Heard him scolding Anthony about you, or something."

Jasper bit his lip. What was Christopher's problem with him?

"I can always distract Christopher, if you want." Ian suggested. "So Anthony can actually learn how to fly with you."

"You will?"

Ian nodded. "I can pester him with random questions about muggle things."

"I thought you were halfblood?" Jasper asked.

"Yes, but I didn't grow up in the muggle world, Anthony did, so I am sure Christopher knows things. I can annoy him with random questions." Ian thought for a moment. "Like...what is a toaster?"

"Well...it cooks bread." Jasper told him.

"Weird." Ian's eyes were wide.

Jasper laughed. "And talking portraits aren't?"

Jasper walked out onto the grounds near the quidditch pitch. On Friday him, and Anthony had agreed to meet here right after lunch, and lunch had just ended. Jasper saw someone sitting by a tree, and Jasper was pretty sure it was Anthony, so he walked up behind him, and tapped him.

The Ravenclaw boy, who was in fact Anthony, jumped, dropping his book. He looked behind him, and saw it was just Jasper, so he relaxed. "Oh, it's just you." He breathed a sigh of relief, and picked up his book. "Thank goodness."

He got up, and him, and Jasper started closer to the quidditch pitch. "So..." Jasper started. "I heard your brother still does not really like me?"

"He is just being annoying, but as long as he does not find out we should be fine."

"Shouldn't he be happy you're learning how to fly?" Jasper asked, confused.

"Yeah." Anthony said. "Should be, but he isn't." He looked towards Jasper, and shrugged. "It's not your fault though."

Jasper went into the broom shed, and grabbed two brooms. He handed one to Anthony. They walked together to one part of the field, and it was pretty well empty except for a few students on the other side of the field chatting. "Ready for flying lessons?" Anthony nodded, but Jasper could tell he was a bit nervous. That was to be expected. "Alright, so I think it would be best to start with flying a couple feet off the ground." Jasper floated up a few feet.

Anthony nodded, and got on the broom. He floated up a few feet in the air, so he was at Jasper's level, but he was a bit wobbly.

"Try to find your centre." Jasper suggested. "And hold your broom like this." He let go of his own broom, making Anthony's eyes widen, but Jasper kept his balance. He took Anthony's right hand, and moved it a bit closer to his left. "Actually." Jasper said. "Which hand do you write with?"

"I am better with the left." Anthony told him. "But my brother wants me to use my right."

Jasper wanted to make a comment on that. Did Anthony's brother think they were in the olden days or something? "Well, I think I found one of the problems." Jasper said. "You need to have your dominant hand at the front, and your left has been behind your right, so switch them."

Anthony slowly switched his hands position so the left was now at the front. He instantly got less wobbly. "See!" Jasper exclaimed. "You already have found your balance."

"Was that really the problem?" Anthony asked.

"Sometimes it is the simplest things." Jasper said. "But we should practise flying in straight lines, and then later in circles. If you're comfortable."

Anthony nodded, so Jasper backed up a couple of feet. "So just fly to me, okay?"

"Okay." Anthony said. He started to fly slowly toward him. He was less wobbly than he was, but he was still shaky, but at least there was already some improvement.

"Try to relax." Jasper told him. "If you're nervous, you will increase your chances of falling."

Anthony gave a quick nod, and took a few deep breaths, and tried to relax his shoulders, which were very tense. He flew toward Jasper, and stopped abruptly making him almost fall into Jasper, but Jasper steadied his shoulders. "Great job!" Jasper exclaimed, smiling.

"I almost fell." Anthony said, a bit pink.

"You just need to get better at stopping." Jasper told him. "Bring the handle down, and it will slow you down. You still flew really well."

Anthony shook his head. "You're too nice."

"Do you want to try again?" Jasper asked. "Or do you want to stop for the day?"

"Maybe stop...flying always stresses me out."

Jasper nodded, and flew down. "Last thing!" He said. "Fly down, bring the handle down, and put out your feet to land smoothly on the ground."

Anthony did just that, and landed relatively smoothly on the ground. "Great job!" Jasper exclaimed. "You already have improved so much."

"Really?" Anthony asked.

Jasper nodded.

Anthony smiled. "Thanks so much Jasper." They started toward the broom shed again. "My brother is going to be happy that I will be better at flying, he wants us to be good at this wizard stuff."

They were in the broom shed now, putting up the brooms. "You're muggleborn then?"

Anthony hesitated. "I – yeah."

Jasper wondered why he had hesitated, but then he clicked. It could be because of the prejudice against muggleborns. "Well, I am muggleborn too, remember? I am not going to be rude like the Slyther – I mean the blood purists."

Anthony gave a small smile. "So like the Slytherins?"

Jasper bit his lip. "Well...I guess."

Anthony laughed. "You're not being mean, if it is the truth."

"Well I am sure not all the Slytherins are like that." Jasper said, trying to convince himself not to judge everyone just because of their house.

"From what I have read up, most of the blood purists come from Slytherin." Anthony informed him. "Did you know there is a book filled with the families of the Sacred 28, and other known blood purists, and pureblood families?"

"Really?" Jasper asked. "In the library?"

Anthony nodded. "Yeah, they even list some halfbloods too, but only ones that are related to the pureblood families."

Jasper looked over. "Why were you looking through those books?"

"Oh." Anthony said. "No - no reason. What do you like about Hogwarts Jasper? Besides flying."

Jasper had a feeling he was trying to change the subject, but he didn't comment on it. Jasper thought about the question. He really liked everything, especially the fact that he wasn't around his parents, but he could not say that. "Honestly, I love everything. It is so cool!"

"Me too." Anthony said, as they left the broom shed. "Even though I have known about the magical world for a few years, nothing could have prepared me for Hogwarts." A pause. "Thanks for the help today."

"No problem!" Jasper exclaimed. "Do you want to do it at the same time tomorrow or...?"

"Tomorrow works." Anthony said. "I will just have to make sure my brother doesn't follow me."

Jasper bit his lip. "If you mind me asking, why does he?"

Anthony scratched the back of his neck and sighed. "He wants to make sure I am okay, and he wants to protect me, and I get that, but sometimes it is...too much."

Jasper nodded. "I get that, kinda. I mean, he probably doesn't want you getting bullied by blood purists."

"Yeah, I guess so." Anthony said. "But it is kinda annoying if you don't get much privacy." He shrugged. "I don't think he knows I can defend myself, I don't need him anymore for that, I have a wand."

Jasper nodded, understanding that. Muggle school had been tough with accidental magic, and Jasper was sure some of the kids at Anthony's muggle school made fun of him for his magic, and his brother told them off.

"And now." Anthony continued. "He has been mad at me lately." He sighed. "I haven't done anything, I don't think."

"Well maybe talk to him?" Jasper suggested.

"I'll try." Anthony said. "I better get back to the common room now, before he goes searching for me. Ian has been distracting him with questions, but it won't last long."

He turned to Jasper as they were at the castle doors. He hugged him, making Jasper tense a little. He wasn't that used to people touching him. He hugged people all the time, but if others did it without warning it always came as a surprise. He hoped Anthony didn't notice.

Anthony let go of him, and gave a small smile. "Thanks Jasper. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Jasper nodded, still a bit stunned by the surprise hug. "Of course."

Anthony smiled, and went into the castle.

Jasper stood there for a few beats. In his opinion, tutoring went pretty well. Jasper was very happy about that, he wasn't a rubbish tutor. He walked into the castle, saw it was 2:00 in the afternoon, and went down the stairs towards the Hufflepuff common room.

He entered the dorm, and Harry was at his desk looking over Herbology notes.

"Please tell me you weren't studying for...four hours straight?" Jasper asked as he walked in, hoping he had gotten the maths right.

Harry looked over to Jasper, to the clock, and back to Jasper. "Has it really been that long?"

"Harry!" Jasper scolded. "If you are going to study, at least take breaks. Did you eat?"

"Penelope, and Dorothy brought me some breakfast." Harry told him, turning back to his parchment.

"That was nice of them." Jasper said. He looked at the plate of jam toast on his desk. It looked untouched. Jasper shook his head. "You didn't even even eat it!"

Harry bit his lip. "I got engrossed in this work, and–"

Jasper closed Harry's book, and took his hand. "We are going to get you some fresh food." He pulled Harry along, as Harry objected that he needed to look over his Astronomy notes as he was apparently struggling. Jasper shook his head. Who knew people liked studying that much? "You can after you eat." They were back in a corridor heading to the Great Hall. "Gosh, Jonathan was right, you need to relax about exams, they are months away."

"Sorry." Harry murmured. He just really needed to do well! Jasper just didn't understand. "How was tutoring?"

"Great!" Jasper exclaimed. "He's actually pretty good, just needs small tips here, and there."

Harry was happy at this. Of course Jasper would make a good tutor, Jasper was good at everything he did. Jasper sat down at the Hufflepuff table, and grabbed a cookie. A considerable number of people were there, probably because it was around snack time, and even a few people were scattered around studying. Jasper signalled for Harry to sit, and he did. Jasper handed him a cookie. "Eat."

Harry took a bite of the cookie, and kept thinking about what happened that afternoon. It bugged him.

He fell asleep at one point during his studies, (so hey, that was a break!) and dreamt about that kid again. It annoyed him. Why did he have to remember this random kid from years ago that stopped talking to him with no explanation at all? It kind of hurt. It was another reminder that, oh here is another person that won't like you because there will always be something someone won't like about you. You have a friend? Well, remember, it won't last long. They will always leave.

He was used to it, but it still was upsetting that his stupid brain just decided to remind him of this again. He was always worried that one day Jasper would just decide to stop talking to him.

Jasper nudged him, breaking him from his thoughts. "Eat." Jasper said quietly.

Harry took another bite of the cookie, and gave a tiny smile.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 105 46
Going to Hogwarts is nothing like attending any other school. For one, you get to live most of the year in the grand and majestic castle. Second, you...
6K 209 17
Nicholas Steele was quiet, a young 15 year old wizard attending Hogwarts, nothing out of the ordinary. Or at least, that's what everyone else though...
189K 4.3K 40
Okay, you have no IDEA how much time it took me to try and make up a title or write a description. Please, before reading this description, note that...
444K 10.8K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...