Long Story Short | Theseus Sc...

By kjlyds

With a dark wizard's rise to power, the International Confederation has assigned two aurors from the British... More

๐‹๐Ž๐šด๐† ๐’๐“๐Ž๐‘๐˜ ๐’๐šฎ๐Ž๐‘๐“
000 a heroine and king
๐šจ๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ
001 cycad manor
003 a trip to paris
004 confessions & tears
005 a plan gone right
006 i see sparks fly
007 a familiar face
008 defenceless words
009 confined feelings
010 an offer & a plan
011 to reconnect
012 new meetings & chaos
013 an unsettling feeling
014 i remember it all too well
015 actions & consequences
016 the grudge
017 homewrecker
018 cat and mouse chase
019 it's a crime scene
020 in and out
021 warmth & snow
022 fight or flight
023 crash the party
024 drunken stumbles
025 alleyways of london
026 in the holiday spirit
027 the war hero & the fool
๐šจ๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ
028 oddly freeing
029 the moment i knew
030 cold shoulder
031 quite the contrary
032 i wish you would
033 false farewells
034 to new land
035 a series of events
036 an interruption
037 investigating what?
038 it's a dinner party
039 the confederation
040 tears and a letter
041 executioners
042 the babysitter
043 way things go
044 the wreckage
045 bittersweet goodbyes
046 cafe gossip
๐šจ๐‚๐“ ๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
047 the book about beasts
048 chaotic mishaps
049 bottled up emotions
050 don't poke the bear
051 three broomsticks
052 delivering a letter
053 if only she were smarter
054 victim analysis
055 collecting herbaria
056 the princess & the hero
057 set the trap and watch
058 to say forevermore
059 the purposed danger
060 i know you better
061 rumours in a ballroom
062 an impromptu event
063 acquiring a portkey
064 all she had to do
065 it's better left unsaid
066 nostalgia

002 a suspicious witness

2.6K 67 5
By kjlyds

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Entering the scene of the crime, she found Bailey Thatcher, staring up at the portrait of the elderly couple. Hearing her footsteps, he turned to smile at her. Ariadne knew him as one of Theseus' closest friends. They would regularly partner together for missions and Ariadne tended to try and avoid them both. He had chocolate hair, dark enough to be mistaken as black. Trimmed nicely, his curly hair was kept just above his shoulders. Flashes of a younger boy in Hogwarts reminded Ariadne that despite the length of time knowing him, she had never really talked to him.

"What have you found?" Ariadne asked politely.

"Well, five of Grindelwald's followers entered the building at about 7:05 pm. Lincoln left his wand downstairs which left him defenceless and it's assumed that Marcia tried to fight them off but she was overpowered. They killed her and Ms Millard saw the green light. She alerted the ministry at 7:13 pm."

"Don't trust Ms Millard," Ariadne and Theseus chorused. Ariadne's gaze snapped over to where Theseus stood, leaning against the doorframe. As their eyes connected, she let out a huff. She hadn't noticed his arrival being too focused on Thatcher.

"She's not who she says she is," Ariadne said first, beating Theseus to it. There was no way Ms Millard could have overheard a scream, not from where she was situated. Her words were twisted lies. Ariadne turned to Theseus, "We need to talk," and walked out of the room. She passed his shoulder and Theseus sighed. This was going to be a long day.

"Good luck, mate," Bailey joked, patting him on the shoulder, watching as Theseus rushed to catch up with the shorter witch. It amused him to see them forced to work together. He had heard all about Ariadne from Theseus' rants, ones from his youth and ones from recent times. What in the world was Barracus thinking pairing them together?

Theseus approached Ariadne as she headed down the stairs. Eyes wide, he caught sight of Millard entering the manor, alone with her wand in her hand. Without wasting a second, he grabbed Ariadne and pushed her into the closest room. She protested loudly but was silenced as he muffed her voice with his hand over her mouth. Her eyes shot up and he put a finger to his lips. Footsteps past them and Ariadne's heartbeat picked up. The warmth of his hands on her face and her shoulder shot through her body.

"What are we doing here?" She whispered as he dropped his hand from her mouth. He had pulled her into a storage room. Shelves lined the walls along with boxes of whatnot. It was small and not as elegant but who would design a room filled with miscellaneous goods to be refined?

"We're hiding," he said coolly.

"We're hiding, here?"

"Oh, sorry it's not the Bahamas of hiding places," he rolled his eyes at her while she looked at him as if he was crazy. He pressed two fingers to the bridge of his nose, "Millard entered the building."

Eyes widening, her mind raced with questions, "What about the aurors stationed at the door?"

"I don't know, but I know she shouldn't be in here."

"No shit," Ariadne reprimanded, eyes closed as she concentrated on finding Millard. Entering a maze with no clear path, Ariadne tuned out her surroundings for something further away.

"You know what I've always hated about you?"

"Hmm?" she hummed, half paying attention to the words coming out of his mouth.

"Your sarcasm." Ariadne groaned as she was thrown into Theseus. He stumbled back but managed to keep upright while holding Ariadne in his arms, "Ariadne?"

"She knows we're here," Ariadne panted while rubbing her head, an ache appearing already. "We have to get out," she grabbed his arm and pulled him out the door, just as roughly as he had pulled her in.

"Wait. Bailey-" he stopped in his tracks, making Ariadne huff.

"She's already stunned him," when he didn't move, Ariadne dragged him along. The Manor was silent. Aurors who should have been stationed around could not be heard. Ariadne led Theseus away from the store room and travelled deeper into the house. The manor had too many hallways leading to different areas. She would not even fathom how anyone lived here.

"I know you're close by," Millard taunted, her voice echoed throughout the manor. Her steps slow unlike Theseus and Ariadne's fast pace. "Legilimency wasn't the greatest idea, was it?" Ariadne pulled Theseus into a room at the end of the hallway. She magically closed all the doors in that corridor, hoping that would buy them some more time and shut Millard's voice off. "You caught a glimpse of me. I caught a glimpse of you, Ariadne Nott. You know, I've heard great things about you from your parents." Turns out Millard's voice could not be subdued. Theseus' gaze shot to Ariadne's face, noticing her stiffening at the mention of her parents.

The Notts were a noble family, one that the gossip papers loved to follow. Everything they did, they did with sophistication. They were praised for their blood status and praised for the power they held in society. Silas Nott was extremely influential and was ranked high in the ministry. That was until he decided to quit abruptly, for reasons unknown. Cressida Nott carried herself with grace. Nothing bad could be said about the woman, she wouldn't let them anyways. She had more control than people realised. Then there was Ariadne. A disgraceful daughter who shied away from the spotlight. There was a rumour once that she was disowned, but no one knew the truth.

"How about you come out from your hiding spot and we talk like grown adults?" A crash could be heard from another room and Millard's footsteps followed, hoping that the noise would lead her towards the two aurors.

Thankful that her proximity diminished, Ariadne turned to Theseus, "You have to go back."

"What?"

"Go back to the ministry, call for backup," she insisted, "I'll keep her busy." She saw the hesitation in his eyes, "We need to catch her," he stared down at her pleading eyes before nodding. Ironic considering that ten minutes ago he told her he wouldn't follow a single order that came out of her mouth.

"Bring her to the entrance. Be careful," he said, awkwardly placing a warm hand on her shoulder before disapparating. Ariadne breathed in, trying to calm her racing heart. Confidence was easier to fake when someone else was near her. However, she needed to do this and for some reason Theseus had faith in her to do so otherwise he wouldn't have left. Slowly opening the door, she tiptoed out, making sure to make as little noise as possible. Turning out of the corridor, Ariadne saw Millard, standing as casually as she possibly could.

"Rosier," Ariadne addressed.

"Oops. Did the polyjuice wear off?" As she said that, her disguise vanished. The once calm and collected Millard slowly revealed a more sinister woman. Vinda Rosier played with her wand, smirking at Ariadne. Her brunette hair was tied tightly in a bun, red coated her lips. The delicacy taught to every pureblooded witch was easily seen in Rosier.

"They tell me you're a murderer now," they circled each other, waiting for the other to strike first. Patience was a virtue and Ariadne knew all she had to do was stall.

"It's for the greater good," Rosier raised her wand and started the duel. Spells bounced around and both witches were quick with their defensive and offensive charms, "You would understand, wouldn't you?"

A careless retort that cut Ariadne more than she would have liked. Her face darkened, "You don't know me."

"Oh, I know you, Ariadne," Ariadne cast a protective charm, using it to shield herself from Rosier's fatal blows. She pushed forward, trying to gain the upper hand, "I know all about you," Ariadne led Rosier to the entrance, Theseus' words ringing in her ear. A spell bounced from Rosier's shield, turning a large vase into a toad.

"Trying to turn me into a toad," Rosier ridiculed, a sneering smile never leaving her face.

"If only it worked," Ariadne huffed, "Why Cycad?" she asked, hoping to gain information. Why would Grindelwald want the Cycads dead? They were friends of the Minister of Magic, Hector Fawley, that's what Barracus said. They were in positions of power due to their connections. However, they shared Grindelwald's views. So why them? Did Grindelwald deem that they held too much power?

"Seemed like an easy target," Rosier easily lied, sending three charmed blasts towards Ariadne who blocked all of them.

"What did he want with Lincoln and Marcia Cycad?" Ariadne repeated.

"If you think I will tell you anything, then you are wrong," Rosier conceded, jumping down the grand staircase. Ariadne stayed up, hoping to use the high ground to her advantage. Spells bounced around as the two women held their ground. Neither besting the other. It wasn't until Theseus apparated into the entrance that they stopped. He blocked the door while Ariadne stood at the stairs, Rosier in the middle of them.

"Coward," Rosier muttered, directed at Ariadne. More aurors walked in, pointing their wands at Rosier whose eyes were glued to the brunette witch. Theseus didn't miss the way Ariadne glared back at the French witch. Before anyone could do anything, Rosier pointed her wand to the mirror. Fragments of glass flew like daggers towards the group. Reacting quickly, some shielded their colleagues while others redirected the glass shards towards Rosier. She apparated away before it could hit her. With their target disappearing, the shards flew straight towards Ariadne. Her reaction was quick, a shield brought up to prevent any impalement.

However, one small piece of glass pierced through her shield and nicked the skin on her hand. She inhaled sharply, watching as no one paid heed to her. It had always been like this and sometimes she hated it. Everyone always thought they could walk all over her and not face the repercussions; surprised when she actually fought back.

Feeling confined in the large foyer room filled with aurors, she slipped outside. Flowers blossomed in the front garden of the manor. The greenery was easier to see looking down the hill. She glanced down at the two aurors who lay unconscious, their stomachs slowly rising and falling.

How courteous, she mocked, Letting them live. Deep down, she knew that Grindelwald's kills were always calculated. So what did he want to gain by killing the Cycad couple? Soaking up the peaceful view, she cast two reviving spells, watching as the aurors began to stir. Her eyes stayed glued to the horizon as she heard footsteps come up behind her, knowing the one person who had to see her was the one she wanted to get away from.

"What did she say to you?" he wondered. She was surprised at how gentle he sounded, almost like he cared. She examined the cut on her hand. It would heal soon, it was only small.

"Nothing important."

"Ariadne, I know it's bothering you," he disclosed. What was his play? A minute ago he was holding his dagger at her throat, now he was asking how she was. She didn't like that he could just switch between demeanours. Hate her all you wanted, but don't act like her friend while doing so.

"Did you not hear me?" she shot back, her cold eyes stared back at him, "It's nothing."

He silently sighed, "Barracus wants us back in his office, now."

"I'll be there," he hesitated before heading back inside, leaving her alone. She hugged her coat closer to her chest. Duty called and Ariadne knew that this mission would make or break her. Already an hour in and it was chaotic as always. She would be kidding herself if she thought everything would go smoothly. Inhaling the fresh air once again, she apparated back to the Ministry, ready to face the hectic environment she was placed in.

[2015 words] 

edited 04.03.24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 182 24
Natalia Clayton is a witch. She has been her entire life. Having come from a family of Muggles, it had been quite a shock to her when a wizarding fam...
188K 5.5K 33
Grindelwald's wizard gathering had left Theseus Scamander still reeling from his fiancรฉe's loss, which led him to take a few months off to get his sa...
409K 25.9K 23
Three months after the infamous Gellert Grindelwald escapes during his transport to Azkaban, the Ministry of Magic finds themselves in yet another up...
4.2K 162 24
Roxanne was a student at Hogwarts, a proud Hufflepuff that had managed to befriend not only Albus Dumbledore but his troublemaker secret friend, Gell...