Long Story Short | Theseus Sc...

By kjlyds

With a dark wizard's rise to power, the International Confederation has assigned two aurors from the British... More

𝐋𝐎𝚴𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐒𝚮𝐎𝐑𝐓
000 a heroine and king
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈
002 a suspicious witness
003 a trip to paris
004 confessions & tears
005 a plan gone right
006 i see sparks fly
007 a familiar face
008 defenceless words
009 confined feelings
010 an offer & a plan
011 to reconnect
012 new meetings & chaos
013 an unsettling feeling
014 i remember it all too well
015 actions & consequences
016 the grudge
017 homewrecker
018 cat and mouse chase
019 it's a crime scene
020 in and out
021 warmth & snow
022 fight or flight
023 crash the party
024 drunken stumbles
025 alleyways of london
026 in the holiday spirit
027 the war hero & the fool
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈
028 oddly freeing
029 the moment i knew
030 cold shoulder
031 quite the contrary
032 i wish you would
033 false farewells
034 to new land
035 a series of events
036 an interruption
037 investigating what?
038 it's a dinner party
039 the confederation
040 tears and a letter
041 executioners
042 the babysitter
043 way things go
044 the wreckage
045 bittersweet goodbyes
046 cafe gossip
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈𝐈
047 the book about beasts
048 chaotic mishaps
049 bottled up emotions
050 don't poke the bear
051 three broomsticks
052 delivering a letter
053 if only she were smarter
054 victim analysis
055 collecting herbaria
056 the princess & the hero
057 set the trap and watch
058 to say forevermore
059 the purposed danger
060 i know you better
061 rumours in a ballroom
062 an impromptu event
063 acquiring a portkey
064 all she had to do
065 it's better left unsaid
066 nostalgia

001 cycad manor

3.2K 77 5
By kjlyds

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

1925 BRITISH AUROR OFFICE

Heels clicked on the cold marble floor, her reflection mirroring back at her. Ariadne was attending her break when someone informed her of a meeting requiring her presence. Even after fifteen years of working as an auror, she still found herself getting caught up with inconsistent schedules. While entering the familiar auror department, she pondered the reasons why she was called up. Outside her Head Auror's office, Ariadne's hands smoothed out her skirt, ridding it of any wrinkles. She knocked on the door sturdily before letting herself in.

Inside, Head Auror, Claude Barracus sat in his leather chair behind a large mahogany table filled with files and paperwork messily placed. Bookshelves and storage compartments stood against the wall. The office would have been homely, if not for the man that sat directly in front of Barracus.

"Ariadne! Please sit," Barracus beamed. Ariadne gave a strained smile before gently closing the door behind her. Barracus was an elderly man, his days of fighting were over, yet his wisdom was valuable. Ariadne was well aware of the wager her coworkers had placed, betting on how long it would take for him to retire. To her, Barracus was a mentor, a person who could guide her through her troubles. He had faith in her abilities even when the entire office seemed to think otherwise.

"Miss Nott," the man greeted calmly as she took a seat next to him.

"Mr Scamander."

Just the person she didn't want to see. They were known for their disputes and hostile opinions towards each other. There was a time when Ariadne thought Theseus was her friend, but those times passed with bitter feelings and irreversible actions. It was no secret that the two of them couldn't get along. Even their co-workers were cautious of putting them in the same room.

"Well, I have a mission assigned to the both of you," her eyes shot up as Barracus threw a file down. Ariadne grabbed it first while Theseus silently groaned. His hands stayed by his side, watching as she got a headstart on the information given.

"You want us to track down Grindelwald?" She questioned, letting shock overtake her. She had seen his name all over the daily prophet. His rise to power was unexpected and honestly terrifying. Grindelwald deemed that the wizarding world would be better exposed. He wanted to go against every rule that kept those with magic safe. And there were so many that believed in his cause, so many that believed that due to their blood, they were better than most.

"Yes," Barracus answered grimly. He too had seen the papers, he knew of the power Grindelwald contained. Ariadne hid her emotions behind a facade before handing the file to Theseus. His eyes were fixed on Ariadne's features. She was hiding something, he was sure of it. A gut feeling that made him believe that her secret could ruin a mission that hadn't even started.

"This mission was assigned to both of you by the International Confederation of Wizards," Barracus stood up and spoke to them both, his eyes moving between his aurors. "Grindelwald is a massive threat to wizardkind and we cannot let him roam free. I expect my two best aurors to bring him in. He attacked a close friend of the Minister of Magic last night, you should start there," he gave them a short smile before ushering them out of his office.

"I'll grab my coat," Ariadne stated, shortly walking towards her desk but stopping when Theseus grabbed her wrist, abruptly turning her back around.

"Are we going to work together or will you be insufferable like always?"

"Insufferable? But I haven't done anything yet," she faked a gasped and he rolled his eyes at her child-like behaviour. Ariadne could feel the stares of other aurors, with nothing better to do their eyes landed on an irritated Theseus and a badgering Ariadne.

"You know what I mean."

"Do I?" Ariadne feigned confusion before she yanked her hand out of his grip and went to grab her coat, a small moment to herself before her peace was ruined by a tall brunette wizard. Barracus' assistant, Melinda Fog came up to her and handed her the status report covering last night's attack.

"You might need this," she gave Ariadne a friendly smile. Ariadne had always liked Melinda. The short raven haired witch was probably the best person here. Thanking Melinda, Ariadne took the file and headed to Theseus. He was waiting for her outside the ministry, hands in his pockets as he stared at the pavement. Most likely going over ways to rid himself of her.

"Well, let's go to..." she flipped the file papers until she found an address and picture. "Cycad Manor," Thank Merlin she knew the area. Ariadne grabbed Theseus's arm and apparated away from the Ministry. In a blink, they arrived at their destination. The manor was located in the countryside of London. It looked homely if not for the dozens of aurors stationed outside. Large enough for at least six generations, the manor sat on top of a hill. The bricked structure reminded Ariadne of a distant memory playing in the back of her mind as she stared up at the building.

Curious, Theseus looked down at her, "You've been here?"

"I've been in the area," she reassured, although her eyes drifted. A lie, Theseus thought to himself. However before accusations could rise, an auror came to greet them, ridding Theseus of any harmful words that could have escaped.

"Mr Scamander. Miss Nott," he smiled grimly at them.

Wasting no time, Ariadne took a step forward. "Take us to Ms Millard," she ordered.

"Wait, hang on," Theseus interrupted, not liking the way her words came out without consulting him. If they were to work together, he needed them to at least communicate. "I'm also in charge here."

"Ms Millard was the civilian who informed the ministry of the murder," shot Ariadne, eyes glaring up at him. She was tired of people doubting her leadership. "I think it would be best to talk to her first," she lifted her lips up condescendingly, almost daring him to object.

"She's over there," the auror said before heading off, grumbling about how early it was while Theseus and Ariadne made their way to where Ms Millard was sitting. A blanket was placed around her shoulders as she sat completely still. Her eyes wandered around, almost like they were observing the scene.

"I would like it if you don't question my authority," she didn't even spare him a glance as she stalked towards Millard.

"Authority?" Theseus scoffed, "I am your partner. You're equal. You cannot order me around and I will not follow orders you give me," she clenched her jaw, glaring straight ahead of her. His words hurt more now that they were working together. It was like he knew exactly how to sabotage her soul.

"Good. Don't expect me to either," she shot lowly. Reaching the older woman, Ariadne slowly exhaled. Her anger would not be placed on a civilian. "Ms Millard, I'm going to ask you a few questions. Is that alright?" Theseus raised a brow. The bitterness in her voice had completely disappeared. It was like a quick flick of a light switch. The older woman nodded. Her hair was dark like coffee. It curled up to her neck and for someone who had witnessed a traumatising event, she looked elegant and collected, almost too calm.

"Where were you when the crime happened?" Ariadne began, using a spell to write down everything the woman said.

"I was in my house. That one over there," she pointed to the house that stood opposite Cycad Manor. Ariadne noticed how Millard's finger forcefully shook and shared a glance with Theseus. Their acidity now replaced with the desire to capture Grindelwald.

"What made you notify the ministry?"

"I heard a scream, and then I went to check outside. I stood in my living room and as I looked out," Ms Millard's bottom lip wobbled but Ariadne noticed how it was almost forceful, "I saw flashes of green," Ariadne tensed up at those words and her pen almost dropped yet she caught it last second. Millard caught her unease and suppressed a smirk, making Ariadne stare at her suspiciously.

"She's all yours," Ariadne seethed, handing him the notepad. The arrogance that carried Millard allowed Ariadne to create theories. Strings of information tied together to create what she wanted; the truth. Hidden beneath deceptive lies and biassed outlooks, lurking somewhere was an honest story.

Walking up to the manor, an auror let her in. The entrance was majestic, decorated admiringly. It had always been breathtaking. Paintings of different landscapes magically swayed, red wallpaper with a floral design consumed the room. Stairs broke off into two as they wrapped around the room. A large mirror hung above a wooden table. Ariadne knew the couple didn't have any children but still their manor had warmth. It was a shame that the manor had been tainted with melancholy events.

[1515 words] 

edited 03.03.24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 16.1K 112
"Darling, Quiet. Don't want to be caught now do we?" Y/n Bardot, a troubled girl swallowed in desires, problems and potential. She craves nothing mor...
4.2K 162 24
Roxanne was a student at Hogwarts, a proud Hufflepuff that had managed to befriend not only Albus Dumbledore but his troublemaker secret friend, Gell...
409K 25.9K 23
Three months after the infamous Gellert Grindelwald escapes during his transport to Azkaban, the Ministry of Magic finds themselves in yet another up...
6.7K 171 9
Claire Black. A twenty-six year old Auror with the British Ministry of Magic, an exceptionally bright witch, and a former member of the Order of the...