Not That Interested

By ShutUpAndCoffee

My name is Mina Amin. Pakistani. Aged 23. Artist. Foodie. Cat freak. About to marry my best friend. Yep, the... More

Let Love Kill You.
Prologue:
Chapter 1:The one with the Wannabe Grandparents
Chapter 2: The one with the stapler eater.
Chapter 3: The One with the Free lunch
Chapter 4: The One with the Vampire
Chapter 5: The one where I can't speak
Chapter 6: The one with The crazy chicken.
Chapter 7: The one with all the flashbacks
Chapter 8: The One with all the Puppy Love.
Chapter 9: The One With Mama Bear
Chapter 10: The One With the Princess
Chapter 11: The One with The Swear Jar
Chapter 12: The One With The Samosas
Chapter 13: The One inside Shehzer's head
Chapter 14: The One with the Moonwalk
Chapter 15: The One With The Dragon Lady
Chapter 16: The One Where I lie.
Chapter 17: The One with the Cheesecake
Chapter 18: The One With Chris Hemsworth.
Chapter 19: The One With The Weirdest Proposal.
Chapter 20: The One With The Guitar
Chapter 21: The One With The Pearl
Chapter 22: The One Without A Car
Chapter 23: The One With The Ring
Chapter 24: The One With The Gift
Chapter 25: The One With A Double Wedding
Chapter 26: The One With The Red Lips
Chapter 27: The One With The Phone Call
Chapter 28: The One With The Missing Fiance
Chapter 29: The One without Denial
Chapter 30: The One With the Roof Painting
Chapter 31: The One With All the Goodbyes
Chapter 32: The One with Simba's Love Child
Chapter 33: The One With Annoying Females
Chapter 34: The One With The Raincheck
Chapter 36: The One With The Flight Delay
Chapter 37: The One With The Tattoos
Chapter 38: The One At The Beach
Chapter 39: The One With Batman
Chapter 40: The One With Afridi And The Ring
Chapter 41: The One With The Unicorn
Chapter 42: The One With The Moon
Chapter 43: The One With The Parachute
Chapter 44: The One With The Big Reveal.
Chapter 45: The One With The Magic Markers
Chapter 46: The One With Old Timey Wedding
Chapter 47 The One With All The Pins
Chapter 48: The One With The New Faces
Chapter 49: The One With The Saree
Chapter 50: The One Where EMV Breaks Free
Chapter 51: The One With The Kiss
Chapter 52: The One With The Parasite
Chapter 53: The One With Oedipus
Chapter 54: The One With Cinnamon
Chapter 55: The One With The Happy Ending
Epilogue
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS & BONUS FEATURE
Got Questions?
Q&A Book
WATT JUST HAPPENED?

Chapter 35: The One With The Sword-Cake

16.3K 1.1K 98
By ShutUpAndCoffee

"Today You are You. That is truer than true. There is no one alive, who is you-er than you!"— Dr. Suess

I am dreaming, I am sure of it. I see Simba wearing roller-blades, and dancing spinning circles around Kulsoom Nani, who is....spanking Areeb with her cane. Most strange it is. Definitely dreaming. Adiba is munching something besides me, and trying to poke me in the arm now and then. I tell her to quit it.

"You have drool all over your neck Minnie." she pokes me again.

"Ouch! THAT hurts Adiba! QUIT IT!" I frown at her.

"WAKE UP MINA!" She shrieks right inside my ear. I scramble awake finally.

"Whaa?? what the HELL?" I squint sleepily at a widely-grinning Adiba. She is dressed in comfy silk pajamas, and looks way too well-rested for 7:30 in the morning. I scowl at the analog clock on my wall, and poke her right back.

"Are you high or something? waking me up at this ungodly hour!" I try rubbing out the sleepy after-effects from my eyes. Adiba bounces back excitedly on my bed, spreading crumbs all over my bed-sheet. She was munching on one of the creme donuts from last night. Gross.

"I am high alright. HIGH ON SUGAH BAYBEE!" she squeels. I scowl some more. I hate morning people. Fine, you love waking up with the birds and the bees; no need to spread your joy to the rest of us! My best-friend and sister, is not only a morning person at the moment, she is also on a mile high sugar rush.

"When did you wake up?" I growl at her. She gets up and strides to my dressing table where she has perched a steaming hot coffee mug. EMV yawns; 'This better be for me, or I am turning on The Bitch Mode.'

Thankfully, Adiba hands me the cup, and I spend long minutes simply inhaling the creamy goodness. I feel half-way human already, as I quietly sip my venom of choice. Adiba peers cautiously at me; "Feeling civilized yet?" I grunt back.

She shrugs and goes on; "I woke up like more than an hour ago! got freaking hungry, and bored, so I kind of raided your fridge." She makes an apologetic pout.

"It's your fridge too now!" I say between sips. "Where's Ali?"

Adiba turns pink at the question. "He's uhhh, tired out. Still sleeping. We had a long night..."

I nearly burn my mouth trying to swallow hurriedly. Sputtering like crazy, I gasp out, "STOP RIGHT THERE! TMI (Too Much Information) DUDE. TMI!!!" I may have been curious if she had married anyone other than my brother, but seriously I had no wish to listen to her describe her wedding night with details, I would have to pour acid on my brains afterward.

She sticks her tongue out at me; "I wasn't going into details! we just talked. A LOT." Her color deepens at this confession and her expression turns dreamy.

I am suddenly envious of her. I try to stop the feeling, but it is so natural, and uncontrollable that I can't help it. She has something that I will probably never have; A partner who loves her as she loves him. There's a shared perfection, and comfort in what she has with Ali. It is not dramatic, or over-the-top. It is real. Without pretension, conditions and deceit. I inwardly repeat "Mashallah" (praise to Allah) and a bunch of other prayers for their eternal happiness. I want them to remain untouched from my envy.

After I got over my sleepiness, I actually reveled in having Adiba around. She had never been allowed to stay over at our house (because of Ali), even though I had gone for sleep-overs at her place. We had fun planning a brunch for today. I was treating the newly-weds from my own pocket. When Ali joined us in the planning, the whole process took all the more longer because they couldn't stop staring at each other. EMV wouldn't quit making gagging noises, even though it was kind of adorable.

Mom and Dad were eager to push us out the door, because of all the early-morning ruckus we were making. So we ended up heading over to Lal-QIla restaurant for our Sunday Brunch, quite early. The picturesque food place is modeled after an old Mughal Palace, and the entire experience takes you straight back to the days of sword wielding, turbaned sultans, riding majestically on horses. The food is historically, and aesthetically relevant to the theme of the restaurant. Me and Adiba spend hours gushing over the architecture and the Mughal art on the walls. Ali was more interested in menu items of course. We had a lovely terraced table on top of an ancient-looking turret. We were served by attendants dressed in clothes straight out of the movie Mughal-e-Azam. I had also arranged a little surprise for my favorite couple. Halfway through their meal, a group of old-timey royal announcers approached our table, bearing swords, drums, and trumpets. One of them loudly (and in indecipherable, ancient Persian) proclaimed the arrival of a wedding cake for Shehzada Ali and Shehzadi Adiba (Prince Ali and Princess Adiba)

The whole scene left them wide-eyed and shocked, while I shot a phone video recording the whole thing. We were in stitches of laughter by the time, the attendants whipped out an honest-to-god sword to cut the cake with. Needless to say, both of them had a mini-tussle over who'd get to hold the sword. I was laughing over the entire scene so badly, that I'm sure my video will be all shaky and messed up.

While we lazed about and debated a third round of buffet helpings, Ali left us alone to attend to a work-related phone call. Adiba yanked me closer and said in an undertone; "I forgot to ask you about it yesterday, but now I am getting too curious....What's the deal with you and Shehzer?"

I had taken a bite of a spinach croquette, but her question was so abrupt, that it made me cough it right up. I was so flustered, that I debated darting around the entire scene, but I have never been much of a liar. It felt weird having a secret that Adiba wasn't privy to. I hadn't even mentioned Shehzer's interest in me, or the fact that my engagement to Areeb had caused him to leave the city.

I drag in a long breath; "It's complicated."

Adiba snorts; "What am I? a pre-schooler?, I can deal complicated Minnie, now dish!"

I end up telling her everything about my encounters with Shehzer. Her expression grows wide-eyed when I tell her about his proposal. She is appropriately sympathetic over the guitar party fiasco, and righteously indignant over Areeb's contributions to the complicated scene. I don't know why, but she is ecstatic over his recent actions for me. Her eyes are gleaming with determination as she whispers to me; "Minnie. The guy is head over heels in love with you. You have got to get him to propose again!!"

I recoil from the very idea of another relationship. My heart races, and my hands are clammy, and we are only discussing stuff at this point. I do envy her love with my brother, but I am very scared of it for myself. What if he runs away from me too? What if his actions are a ruse to get me to commit?

I am very insecure about my ability to maintain a relationship with anyone. the reasons for which are pretty obvious. Truth is; I don't trust him with my heart.

"Adiba, I don't think I'm ready for marriage." I stress back.

She waves away my worries; "Of course you're not ready to marry anyone else! but this is Shehzer. Call it a gut feeling. but I think you have feelings for him too, you're just not ready to acknowledge them."

I open my mouth to argue, but Adiba stuffs a croquette inside it, to get me to shut up. I chew angrily, as she continues; "Babe, you need someone like Shehzer in your life, someone who puts you before them, and before you pile that bullshit excuse on me, let me tell you; this is more than just a gorgeous face." She leans forward for emphasis "You. Like. HIM!!"

Of course, I like him. What's not to like? He is the single most caring, and compassionate man I have ever come across. His humor, his wit are just part of the many things that endear him to me. That is the root of the problem I guess; I don't want to get too attached to someone. This gives that person immeasurable power over you. The power to hurt you if/when they leave.

I shake my head to disregard Adiba's eager suggestions.

"Even if he were to propose again, I'm not sure Mom and Dad will agree that easily, he does live abroad...."

"If who were to propose again?" Ali's voice makes both of us jump. He is staring coldly at me, his expression more serious than I have ever seen. I swallow noisily. Adiba is biting her lips, and pretending to blend with the background. Ali's tone brooks no argument this time; "Mina. I'm asking you for the last time. Who. Proposed?"

I'm not sure why I am so scared of giving out his name. Ali won't kill him or anything; because in all honesty: Nothing Happened. Ever. I look desperately towards Adiba for help, she gives me a helpless shrug.

"Mina. A name." Ali growls out.

"Shehzer did." I blurt out. "After Areeb's proposal. He had no idea I was already committed. Please don't confront him or anything, I swear he was very polite and civilized thr-"

Ali holds up a hand to quiet me.

"Did he approach you about it after the breakup?" he grills me.

"N-No!" I stutter.

"Do you like him?"

"Yes....NO!...I DON'T KNOW ALI! Geez!" I scowl back at him. "I don't like your tone! I'm not a criminal OK?"

His expression has softened to contemplation rather than murder.

I have a feeling that Shehzer will receive a similar grilling soon.

AGH!! Why is my life so crazy?

A/N:

Hi there lovely people!

Photo in description is of Karachi's Lal Qila restaurant as mentioned in the chapter. It is a must-have experience for history buffs and foodies! Oh! and the whole sword-cut-cake and royal announcer scene actually can be arranged for newly weds! LOL. :D

DO Vote and Comment!

<3 Cheers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 104 7
❝𝘐 𝘉𝘌𝘛𝘛𝘌𝘙 𝘍𝘐𝘕𝘋 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘐𝘕𝘎, 𝘐 𝘉𝘌𝘛𝘛𝘌𝘙 𝘍𝘐𝘕𝘋 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙 𝘏𝘌𝘈𝘙𝘛❞ an imagine book for everyone delul...
126K 6.3K 63
"why did you marry me??" "go away!!" "I asked why did you marry me?" "none of you're business" "it is my business damn it, I'm your wife it is my...
407K 33.8K 53
The last two years of Sameena Ahmad's life have been interesting, to say the least. Why? Maybe it was because she was the Prime Minister's daughter. ...
537K 25.3K 200
Being hurled through space and time was not in her plan, but here she was, way back in the past, the year 1961. To add to her troubles, a few of her...