Translucence

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Kya Hansen was invisible to all but one. Her rambling spaz she liked to call him. Six years before, she had... More

Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
34
35
36
Book Two

33

135 3 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Stiles and Kya made their way to the school and asked, "Where is she?"

Allison walked over to Lydia at the front of the building and said, "Over here."

"Lydia? Lydia!"

Lydia appeared and said, "It's the same thing. Same thing as the pool. I got into the car heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body."

"You found a dead body?" Stiles asked.

Lydia shook her head. "Not yet."

""Not yet?" What do you mean "not yet"? Lydia, you're supposed to call after you find the dead body."

She glared at him. "Oh, not, I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on."

"How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body."

"Guys," Scott said loudly. "I found the dead body."

Kya made her way over to him and noticed a deputy covered in blood lying on the Beacon Hills High School sign. "Oh, God," she mumbled.

In Jennifer's class the next morning, she talked to them about different writing tools. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes. All tools the writer uses to tell their story. Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."

Kya snuck a quick glance at Lydia to see that she was drawing a tree; the exact same tree that she'd drawn when Stiles tried to get her to use automatic writing while they were looking for Deaton.

Lydia met Jennifer's eyes. "You and every guy I've dated."

Jennifer took a nervous step back. "Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way. Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying "jump the gun" is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like "seeing the whole board.""

"Like chess," Stiles said.

Jennifer turned to him and nodded. "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"

Stiles shook his head. "Uh, no. My father does."

"Now, when does an idiom become a cliché?"

The class remained silent. Scott turned to Stiles. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

Stiles gave him a frown. "What do you want to do that for?"

"The druids are emissaries, right? So what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas?"

Stiles sighed. "Okay, first of all, I cannot believe that we've gotten to the point where a sentence like "what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas" actually makes sense to me. Second of all, we're going to have a huge problem getting to Ethan."

Kya glanced at her friend. "Hey, just a heads up, Scott, the Darach isn't the emissary to the Alphas."

"What's that?" Scott asked, still looking at Stiles.

"I hate being dead sometimes."

"Going through Aiden," Stiles replied. "Ever since he's been back at school, they're always together. How are we gonna separate them again?"

Kya rolled her eyes and jerked her head towards Lydia. The boys widened their eyes and turned to face her.

Lydia pursed her lips and clenched one of her fists. "What now?"

While Lydia went to talk to Aiden, Scott, Stiles and Kya tried to find Ethan. They found him halfway up the stairs and he asked, "Why are you even talking to me? I helped kill your friend. How do you know I'm not gonna kill another one?"

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "Is he looking at me? Are you threatening me? You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna break off an extra large branch of Mountain Ash, wrap it in wolfsbane, roll it in mistletoe, and shove it up your freaking..."

"Stiles..." Scott warned.

Kya glanced at her friend. "Finish that thought, Stiles."

Scott frowned and said, "Whoa, Stiles, okay." He turned back to Ethan. "We get it. We're talking to you because I know that you didn't want to kill Boyd. And I think that if something like that happened now, you wouldn't do it again."

Ethan shook his head. "You don't know what we owe them, especially Deucalion. We weren't like Kali and Ennis when we met him. We weren't alphas."

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "If you weren't alphas, what were you?"

Ethan's gaze met hers. "Omegas."

"The lone wolf," Scott said.

Ethan nodded. "In actual wolf packs, omegas are the scapegoat, the last one to eat, the one who has to take the abuse from the rest of the pack."

Stiles frowned. "So you and your brother were, like, the bitches of the pack?"

"Something like that."

"What happened?" Scott questioned.

"They were killers. I mean, people talk about us as monsters. Well, they were the ones who gave that reputation. And our Alpha was the worst of them."

Stiles' eyes narrowed. "Why didn't you guys just fight back? From voltron wolf, you know? Kick everyone's asses?"

Ethan shook his head. "We couldn't. We didn't know how to control it back then."

"Deucalion taught you," Scott realized.

"And then, we fought. We took down the whole pack, one-by-one. And by the time we got to our Alpha, he was begging for his life. And we tore him apart. Literally."

"What about your emissary? They're all dead? Kali and Ennis' too?"

"All of them except for Deucalion's."

"Morrell, right?"

Instead of answering, Ethan let out a cry of pain and gripped his chest. "Ah!"

"What?" Scott asked. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

Ethan shook his head. "Not me. My brother."

He ran off, and they run after him. They saw Aiden readying to hit Cora with a weight. She was on the ground, and Lydia was kneeling beside her. Stiles and Kya ran to help her while Scott and Ethan stopped Aiden. "You can't do this!"

Aiden turned to his brother angrily. "She came at me!"

"It doesn't matter! Kali gave Derek until the next full moon. You can't touch him or her."

Cora shifted herself so she was lying on her back and let out a groan of pain. Stiles frowned. "Hey, guys, I think she's pretty hurt."

Cora cleaned her wound and Stiles asked, "You okay?"

"She doesn't look okay," Lydia said.

She turned to Lydia. "I'll heal." She took a step back and stumbled a little.

"Uh... Oh," Stiles replied, moving to catch her.

Cora brushed him off. "I said I'm fine."

"Do you realize how suicidally crazy that was? What were you thinking going after them?"

She glared. "I did it for Boyd. None of you were doing anything."

"We're trying," Scott said.

"And you're failing. You're just a bunch of stupid teenagers running around, thinking that you can stop people from getting killed. But all you do is show up late. All you really do is find the bodies."

She left, and Stiles let out a sigh. "She's definitely a Hale. Mm. I'll make sure she gets home."

Kya followed Stiles to his Jeep. His phone rang and he answered. "Philosophers?"

Allison's voice came through the other line. "And guardians, which after last night, has to mean something like law enforcement, right? Stiles, you have to tell your dad. Tell him whatever you need, but you have to get him to believe. Tell your dad. Warn him."

Stiles let out a sigh. "Okay, okay, okay, I know."

"What are you gonna do?" Cora questioned.

Stiles looked at her. "I'm gonna tell him the truth. And I'm gonna need your help. Both of your help."

"Both?"

"Don't worry about it."

He set up a chess board and while he was setting up Kya's piece, she said, "I want blue."

"Blue?"

"I like blue. Unless you're using it for another creature?"

He sighed. "You can have blue."

She smiled. "You're gonna have to color it."

"Yeah, I know."

Sheriff Stilinski appeared and Stiles began explaining all the supernatural beings of Beacon Hills, but not very well, as his dad was getting impatient. "Dad, I'm sorry, okay? I'm just... I'm trying to... I'm just trying to figure out how to start here."

The sheriff narrowed his eyes. "Hey, I don't have this kind of time."

Stiles sighed, trying to think of the words. "Um, for the last year, you've had all these cases that you couldn't figure out, right? I mean, all the murders involving Kate Argent, and then Matt killing all the people who had drowned him, and all these murders right now. It's like... it's like you've been playing a losing game."

The sheriff frowned and Kya sat on the floor. "Stiles, the last thing I need right now is a job performance review from my own son."

"I know. Okay, see, but that's... that's just it, Dad. The... the reason you're losing the game is 'cause you've never been able to see the whole board. I need to show you the whole board."

He started explaining and his dad said, "Scott and Derek are werewolves?"

"Yes."

"And Kate Argent was a werewolf?"

Kya stood and shook her head as she and Stiles said, "Purple is hunter."

Cora nodded. "Along with Allison and her father."

The sheriff gave a slow nod. "Yeah, and... and my friend Deaton, the veterinarian, is a kanima?"

"Well, no, no, no, no, no. He's a druid, okay? Well, we think," Stiles said.

"So who's the kanima?"

"Jackson."

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "No. Jackson's a werewolf."

Stiles stared at his father. "He was the kanima first, until Peter and Derek killed him, causing him to become a werewolf. He now lives in London."

"Who's the Darack?" he asked incorrectly.

"It's da-rock," Stiles and Kya corrected.

Cora shook her head. "We don't know yet."

"We don't know yet," Stiles repeated.

"But he was killed by werewolves?"

"Slashed up and left for dead."

"We think," Cora said.

"We think," Stiles and Kya repeated.

"Yeah. Why was Jackson the kanima? And what's this blue one?"

"'Cause sometimes, the shape you take reflects the person that you are," Stiles replied. "Blue is ghost. That's Kya. Yes she's still around."

"Naturally. And what shape would an increasingly and angrier-by-the-second father take?"

"Uh, that would be more of an expression like the one you're currently wearing."

Kya looked the sheriff's face to see an irritated expression. "Yeah."

Stiles huffed. "Dad... Dad, would you, I can prove it, okay? Look, she's one of them."

The sheriff cried, "Stiles, Stiles! That's enough."

Stiles, determined as ever, said, "Dad, can you please just hold on? You ready? All right, Dad, just watch this, okay?"

Cora stood and fell to the ground. Sheriff Stilinski rushed to her side and took her pulse. "Call an ambulance."

When they got to the hospital, Scott called Stiles and told them information they needed. "It's philosophers as in teachers. Allison and her father just found Mr. Westover."

Stiles nodded. "That makes sense. Tara, she wasn't always a cop. She used to teach middle school."

"Then the last one's gonna be another teacher."

Stiles frowned. "Yeah, but there's dozens of them, Scott, and they're all headed home."

Kya shook her head. "No they're not."

Scott said, "They're all going to the recital."

Stiles went after his dad. "What did you see the night at the bank when Scott was trying to save Deaton?"

"Nothing."

"Dad, you saw him healing himself after he tried crossing the Mountain Ash."

"I don't know what I saw."

"Something you can't explain."

"Stiles, I have seen a lot of things I can't explain in this town. That doesn't make 'em supernatural and it doesn't make 'em real. They just found another body. And that's the lead I'm following."

Stiles began protesting, "Yeah, and another teacher's going to die if you don't start listening to me."

"I am listening! I have been listening!"

Kya stepped back as she didn't want to get in the middle of their argument.

After a moment, Stiles said, "You just don't believe." Sheriff Stilinski turned his back. "Mom would've believed me."

Kya walked up to her friend and said in a gentle tone, "We should get to the school."

He drove them to the school and they began calling for their friend.

Stiles called, "Lydia?"

"Lydia?" Scott yelled.

"Lydia!" Kya cried.

Kya, realizing their yelling, hers especially, was getting them nowhere, decided to look for Lydia by herself.

She ran to each classroom, looking for her. She heard the sheriff yell, "Drop it!"

She ran to the sheriff's voice and a dagger flew towards the sheriff and landed just below his right shoulder. Scott ran in, shifted, and growled.

Jennifer turned to them and while Scott tried attacking her from the front, Kya attacked her from the back.

Stiles ran in just as his father disappeared.

Kya turned to him and said, "We'll get him back. I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.2K 1.3K 59
All Haley wanted was a normal life but being the daughter of two very powerful alphas and her boyfriend being a werewolf hunter complicated things. A...
109K 5K 52
[BOOK 5] "𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙚𝙡𝙨𝙚, 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 - 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙡." F...
7.7K 222 26
"Stiles," she said quietly and began shaking her head. "Please, let's not talk about it." "No, Maya, I need to talk about it. I-if I don't have a c...
7K 222 13
For me you can't do a Teen Wolf Movie about the Nogitsune and Allison's return without Stiles being present, so here is my version of how this should...