Translucence

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Kya Hansen was invisible to all but one. Her rambling spaz she liked to call him. Six years before, she had... More

Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
Book Two

17

188 7 2
By TheQuietHufflepuff

While walking through the halls, Stiles said, "I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I've got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news."

"Worse than Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?" Kya asked, earning a look from Stiles. "What?"

Scott said, "I think I already know."

Stiles frowned. "All right, I only found one thing online called a kanima. It's a werejaguar from South America that goes after murderers."

Kya scoffed and said in sync with Scott, "That thing was definitely not a jaguar."

Stiles shot her a look. "Yeah, and I'm not exactly a murderer."

"What's that supposed to mean? Stiles, did you murder someone?"

"What? No."

Scott frowned. "Stiles, stop talking to the dead girl in the halls. Yeah, but did you and maybe Kya did see it kill somebody, which is probably why it tried to kill you. And it's still trying to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're dead."

Stiles glanced to Kya, then to Scott and said, "You know, sometimes I really begin to question this friendship."

During Economics, Kya stood near Stiles. Jackson took the empty seat behind Scott. "Hey, testicle left and right. What the hell is a kanima?"

Coach entered the room. "All right, listen to me. A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups, because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult -- I'm not even too sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question. Who's got it, huh? Come on, let's go, buddy."

"Paralyzed from the neck down," Jackson continued. "Do you have any idea what that feels like?"

Stiles exchanged a look with Kya. "I'm familiar with the sensation."

Scott frowned. "Wait -- why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?"

Jackson shrugged. "How should I know?"

Kya glanced at Lydia to see her writing something down as Scott said, "Hang on. Are they thinking it's Lydia?"

Jackson met his eyes. "I don't know. All I heard was her name and something about Chemistry."

"Jackson!" Coach cried. "Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?"

"Um -- just an undying admiration for my coach."

Coach gave him a sarcastic smile. "That's really kind of you. Now shut up! Shut it! Anybody else?"

"How do we know it's not her?" Scott asked in a quieter tone.

Stiles let out a sigh. "Because I looked into the eyes of that thing, okay? And what I saw was pure evil. And when I look into Lydia's eyes, I only see 50% evil. All right, maybe 60. You know, but no more than 40 on a good day."

Kya rolled her eyes as Scott said, "Stiles, that's not a very good argument."

Stiles turned to Scott. "I'm aware of that, but I swear it's not her. It can't be, all right? Lydia's fine."

"Lydia," Coach said, calling her attention.

She turned around to face the class as tears filled her eyes. Kya frowned at what Lydia had written. Coach couldn't either. "Okay then, anybody else want to try answering? This time in English?"

Scott frowned. "What is that, Greek?"

Kya shot him a look. "No. It's not Greek."

Stiles held up his phone. "No, actually, I think it is English." The words revealed, SOMEBODY HELP ME.

Scott shook his head. "Derek is not gonna kill her without proof."

They made their way to the Chemistry room and Stiles said, "All right, so he tests her like he did with Jackson. But when and where?"

Scott turned to see Isaac and Erica with smug looks on their faces. "I think here and now."

Harris began class. "Einstein once said, "Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." I myself have encountered infinite stupidity. So to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments. Let's see if two heads are better than one. Or in Mr. Stilinski's case, less than one. Erica, you take the first station. You'll start with -- I didn't ask for volunteers. Put your hormonal little hands down. Start with Mr. McCall. All right, next two."

Eventually, Harris had the class switch partners.

Harris eventually called another switch.

When it the lesson was over, Harris said, "Time. If you've catalyzed the reaction correctly, you should now be looking at a crystal. Now for the part of that last experiment I'm sure you'll all enjoy. You can eat it."

Scott cried, "Lydia!"

Lydia turned to him and glared. "What?"

Scott shook his head. "Nothing."

Lydia's hand lifted up to her mouth and nothing happened.

After class, Stiles, Allison, Scott and Kya debated what to do. Scott looked out the window. "Derek's outside waiting for Lydia."

"Waiting to kill her?" Allison wondered.

Scott let out a sigh. "If he thinks she's the kanima, then yes, especially after what happened at the pool."

"It's not her," Stiles said, glancing to Kya.

"Stiles, she didn't pass the test, man. Nothing happened."

Kya shook her head. "No, it can't be her. It can't be."

Allison pursed her lips. "It doesn't matter, because Derek thinks it's her. So either we can convince him that he's wrong, or we've got to figure out a way to protect her."

Scott glanced at her and said, "Well, I really don't think he's gonna do anything here, not at school."

Allison looked to each of them. "What about after school? What if we can prove that Derek's wrong?"

Stiles scoffed. "By three o'clock?"

Allison shrugged. "There could be something in the bestiary."

"Oh, you mean the 900 page book written in archaic Latin that none of us can read? Good luck with that."

Kya raised her hand. "I can." She frowned. "I really hate being dead sometimes."

Allison said, "I think I know someone who might be able to translate it."

Scott nodded. "Uh, I can talk to Derek, maybe convince him to give us a chance to prove that it's not her. But if anything happens, you guys let me handle it, okay?."

"What does that mean?"

Kya stepped back towards the door and barely managed to duck as an arrow flew towards her. It would've hit her had Scott not caught it. Stiles let out an awkward chuckle. "Ah. Sorry. Sorry. Sensitive trigger on that."

Kya huffed. "You're lucky I'm already dead."

"Can you stop reminding me every waking moment?"

"No. And you're now getting weird looks. Congratulations."

Stiles looked between his friends to see that Kya was right; he was getting confused looks.

Their tasks were given and the teens went their separate ways.

Stiles and Kya made their way to the library to get Lydia. As soon as Kya found her, she blew on her, causing Lydia to frown at the sudden cold air. "Lydia, we have a group study at Scott's. Come on."

They rushed through the halls and Lydia frowned at Stiles. "If we're doing a study group, why didn't we just stay at the library?"

"Because we're meeting up with somebody else," Stiles told her.

"Hmm, well, why don't they just meet us in the library?"

Stiles hesitated. "Oh, that would've been a great idea. Too late."

"Okay, hold on-" Lydia began.

Jackson joined the group. "Lydia, shut up and walk."

Lydia did as he said, and they eventually reached Scott's.

Lydia questioned, "If we're studying at Scott's house, then where's Scott?"

Stiles bit his lip. "Meeting us here, I think. I hope."

She stared at Stiles questioningly. "Uh, there's been a few break-ins around the neighborhood. And a murder. Yeah, it was bad."

They walked inside and Stiles immediately placed a chair in front of the door.

Lydia obviously didn't believe Stiles. Kya didn't either. She had been around him long enough to spot his tell.

Jackson turned to face his ex. "Lydia, follow me. I need to talk to you a minute."

Lydia sighed in annoyance. "Ugh. Seriously? What is going on with everyone?"

They headed upstairs while Kya stayed down with Stiles and Allison.

Kya peeked outside and saw three werewolves. She glanced back at Stilds and said, "Tell Allison to call Scott. Now. They're here."

"Call Scott," Stiles said.

Allison dialed Scott's number. "It's me." ... "You need to get here now. Right now."

She hung up and held her phone to her chest like she was in thought. Stiles looked out the window and frowned. "Oh, jeez. What are you doing?"

Allison bit her lip. "I think -- I think I have to call my dad."

Stiles shook his head. "No, but if he finds you here -- you and Scott-"

"I know. But what are we supposed to do? They're not here to scare us, okay? They're here to kill Lydia."

Stiles' eyes brightened, and Kya asked, "What?"

"I got an idea," Stiles replied. "Just shoot one of 'em."

Allison frowned at him. "Are you serious?"

"We told Scott we could protect ourselves, so let's do it. Or at least give it a shot, right?"

"Okay."

"Look, they don't think we're gonna fight, so if one of them gets hit, I guarantee they'll take off. So just shoot one of 'em."

Allison glanced between the werewolves. "Which one?"

Stiles pulled back the curtains slightly and looked out a moment. "Uh -- Derek. Yeah, shoot him, preferably in the head."

Kya frowned. "Stiles, if Scott was able to catch an arrow, one that you nearly shot me with, Derek most certainly can."

"I said I was sorry! Okay, uh, just shoot one of the other three then."

"You mean two," Allison corrected.

Stiles turned to her. "No, I mean three."

Kya walked over to the window and stood next to Stiles. "Uh, where did Isaac go?"

Right after the words left her mouth, she heard something from the back door. Isaac walked in and attacked them. Kya went to hit Isaac and managed to knock him back.

"Yes!" she exclaimed while Isaac frowned.

Isaac tried to swat around and Kya kept blipping away.

She smiled. "This is fun."

Allison ran upstairs where Lydia was. Kya followed shortly after, and Allison locked the door. Kya trusted Stiles to know that he'd find a way to protect himself.

Allison pointed to a clear liquidy substance that was dripping from the window. They realized it was kanima venom.

The door busted open and Erica appeared, shooting them a smirk. "Hmm -- this might make me sound kind of like a bitch, but I've always wondered what it feels like to steal someone's boyfriend. I bet it's a pretty sick rush of power. I think I might try it with Scott. You know what -- I don't think it's gonna be that hard, because why would he be waiting around to steal ten minutes with you, when he can have me anytime he wants." Allison shot an arrow at Erica, and the she-wolf caught it.

Allison snuck a glance to the window. Kya shot Erica a smirk, as did Allison before saying, "Actually, I did. I thought you were psychic, bitch!"

Kya knelt next to Erica. "Now, I've heard from reputable sources that the numbing sensation you're feeling is perfectly normal. This is payback for Stiles' garbage spa trip, bitch."

Since Erica was paralyzed, Allison and Kya ran out to the front porch to meet up with the boys. Isaac was unconscious.

Derek looked at Scott. "I think I'm finally getting why you keep refusing me, Scott. You're not an omega, you're already an Alpha of your own pack. But you know you can't beat me."

Scott frowned. "I can hold you off until the cops get here."

Kya heard faint sirens and realized someone had called the cops, which meant the sheriff would soon arrive.

"Get them out of here," Derek ordered.

They noticed the kanima sneaking around on the roof and Lydia appeared at the front door. "Would someone please tell me what the hell is going on?"

They finally realized who it was, and Scott and Kya said, "It's Jackson."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.1K 2.4K 53
"π΅π“Šπ“‰ π“ƒπ‘œπ“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒ' π’Ύπ“ˆ 𝒷𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 π“ˆπ‘œπ“‚π‘’π“‰π’Ύπ“‚π‘’π“ˆ π’ͺ𝓃𝒸𝑒 π“Œπ‘’'𝓋𝑒 π’·π‘œπ“‰π’½ π“ˆπ’Άπ’Ύπ’Ή π‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π‘”π‘œπ‘œπ’Ήπ’·π“Žπ‘’π“ˆ 𝐿𝑒𝓉'π“ˆ π’Ώπ“Šπ“ˆπ“‰ 𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝒾�...
18.5K 802 17
After Scott's pack defeated Void Stiles, they thought they had gotten rid of him for good. But when Stiles finds himself fighting a battle he can't w...
280K 5.9K 25
Victoria Martin, or Tori as everyone else calls her, has a perfect life. Or at least that's what everyone thinks. Her sister was Lydia Martin the mos...
55K 1.3K 28
"Ιͺ ᴅᴏɴᴛ α΄‘α΄€Ι΄α΄› ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ Κ€α΄€α΄›Ιͺα΄Ι΄α΄€ΚŸ, Ιͺ α΄‘α΄€Ι΄α΄› ᴛᴏ κœ±α΄€α΄ α΄‡ κœ±α΄›ΙͺΚŸα΄‡κœ±!" in which stiles stilinski gets possessed by an evil spirit, spreading chaos throughout beacon hi...