Translucence

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Kya Hansen was invisible to all but one. Her rambling spaz she liked to call him. Six years before, she had... More

Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
Book Two

10

280 6 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Scott searched through the halls for his best friend. "Stiles. Stiles! Has anyone seen Stiles? Stiles! Has anyone seen Stiles?"

Allison stumbled into Scott and the two exchanged an awkward smile before she said, "Uh, you were - pretty awesome out there."

"Thanks. You too. I mean - that's not what I meant."

"No, no, I - did some pretty awesome cheering. You can thank me."

"You did?"

"Totally. I went from "go, team, go," to "defense, defense," without a-a breath. I brought my A game."

"State, state, state, state-" a lacrosse player chanted.

Scott glared at his teammate, urging him to leave and he did. Chris came and led his daughter away.

"Oh, isn't that just heartbreaking?" Jackson taunted as he came up to Scott. "I bet it causes a lot of sleepless nights. You know what, though, McCall? I actually sympathize, which is why I'm gonna make this mutually beneficial. You give me what I want - and, uh, I'll help you get her back."

"What?" Scott asked.

"Well, three days makes it just in time for the winter formal. Uh, think about you taking her instead of me. And also think about all the things you have to do to get her out of some tight little dress by the end of the night. See how this could work out for everybody? Three days, McCall. Have fun."

Scott took a shower to wash the sweat off and to get clean, and after he'd done so, Danny came towards him and said, "By the way, McCall - Apology accepted."

Scott frowned. "I didn't apologize."

"Every time you got the ball tonight, you passed it to me."

"Every time I passed the ball to you, you scored."

"Apology accepted."

As soon as everyone left the locker room, the lights shut off. Scott tried the switch, but the power seemed to be out. A lacrosse ball rolled across the floor and he went to pick it up.

"Danny?" Scott called, following the lacrosse ball to find Derek. "What the hell - Thank God! Where the hell have you been? Do you have any idea what's been going on?"

Derek stared over his shoulder as Peter stepped into view, holding a lacrosse stick.

"I really don't get lacrosse," Peter said.

"It was you-" Scott began.

"When I was in high school, we played basketball. There's a real sport. Still, I read somewhere that lacrosse comes from Native American tribes and that they played it to resolve conflict. I have that right? Hm. I have a little conflict of my own to resolve, Scott. But I need your help to do it."

"I'm not helping you kill people."

"Well, I don't want to kill all of them. Just the responsible ones. And that doesn't have to include-"

"Allison," Derek finished.

Scott narrowed his eyes. "You're on his side? Are you forgetting the part where he killed your sister?"

"It was a mistake."

"What?"

"It happens."

"Scott - I think you're getting the wrong impression of us," Peter said. "We really just want to help you reach your full potential."

"By killing my friends," Scott reminded him.

"Sometimes the people closest to you - can be the ones holding you back the most."

"If they're holding me back from becoming a psychotic nut job like you, I'm okay with that."

"Maybe - you could try and see things - from my perspective."

Peter used his claws to transfer memories to Scott. Scott fell to the ground as Derek watched and saw a series of flashbacks of the fire and Peter's six-year recovery. As Peter healed, his nurse took him in a catatonic state into the woods during a full moon to kill Laura. The killing blow wasn't seen, but Peter's odd movements and lack of response to Laura calling him made it clear that he didn't have conscious control of his actions.

Stiles and Kya came running into the boys locker room.

"Dude, we have a huge problem," Stiles said.

"Trust me - I know," Scott replied.

INT. ARGENT HOME - ALLISON'S ROOM

Allison was having trouble sleeping and dreamt of Scott being there, kissing her. She touched her neck and noticed her pendant was missing. She checked her desk, the book, and her car, but couldn't find it.

INT. ALLISON'S CAR

While in the car, she heard the garage door open and decided to duck out of view. Her father and Kate came in talking about Chris' weapon of choice.

"It hasn't been an issue since we lived here," Chris said.

"All I'm saying is that firing those things so close by is bound to draw attention," Kate replied.

"These things have saved my life more than once, and I know how to be inconspicuous when I need to."

"This coming from a man whose preferred weapon is a crossbow. You know these extra skills are something you could be teaching your daughter."

"Not yet."

"Ever?"

"Not - yet. You coming?"

"Yeah. Coming." Kate noticed Allison hiding in the car and left one of the flash bomb arrowheads on the table for her to find.

EXT. ROAD

Jackson sped through the warehouse district. He swung the car around, just doing doughnuts, when it came to a sudden stop and the check engine light came on. He got out of the car, annoyed, and out of nowhere, Chris pulled up close by.

"Car trouble?" Chris asked.

EXT. WOODS

Lydia frowned. "Allison - When you said you needed to stop for an errand before we went shopping, a five-mile hike in the woods was not what I was expecting."

Allison looked at Lydia. "Before I forget, I wanted to ask if you're okay with something. Jackson asked me to the winter formal."

Lydia raised a brow. "Did he?"

"Huh. Just as friends. But I just wanted to make sure you're okay with it first."

"Sure. As long as it's just friends."

"Well, yeah, I mean - it's not like I would take him to the coach's office during lacrosse practice to make out with him or anything."

"Uh, about that-"

EXT. WAREHOUSE DISTRICT

"It's okay," Jackson said. "I'm just gonna call a tow truck."

"Oh, I know a few things about cars," Chris told him, putting on a pair of gloves. "Could be something simple."

"I don't know. I mean, it's a pretty expensive car and they pull all this warranty crap if you do your own repairs, right?"

"Well - I won't tell if you won't. It's Jackson, right? Come here. I'll show you what to look for." He pulled down Jackson's collar. "Oh, sorry."

Jackson got jumpy and asked, "What?"

"Your neck. You hurt yourself?"

"No. mean, it's just - just a scratch."

"Well, it looks like more than a scratch. Kinda looks like claw marks. You all right?"

"Yeah, look, I'm just gonna cal for a tow truck, okay?"

"Is there any reason you're so reluctant to tell me what it was that did that?"

"What's up?" Stiles greeted as he and Scott pulled up in the Jeep. Kya was invisible to all but Stiles in the back.

"Is everything okay?" Scott questioned.

"Hey, Scott," Chris said. "Your friend, here, was having car trouble. We're just taking a look."

"There's a shop right down the street. I'm sure they have a tow truck."

"Yeah," Stiles agreed, looking at Jackson. "You want a ride? Hey, come on, Jackson. You're way too pretty to be out here all by yourself."

When Jackson left the car, Chris pulled a device from the engine and pocketed it. The car started up fine. "Hey, boys. Told you I knew a few things about cars."

As soon as Chris left, Jackson turned to the boys and asked, "What, are you following me, now?"

"Yes, you stupid freaking idiot," Scott replied. "You almost gave away everything, right there."

"What are you talking about?"

"He thinks you're the second beta."

"What?"

"He thinks you're me!" He punched Stiles' Jeep.

"Dude, my Jeep," Stiles protested.

"I can hear your heart beating a mile away - literally! Now he thinks that there's something wrong, and now I have to keep an eye on you so he doesn't kill you too!" He punched Stiles' Jeep again.

"Okay, how about we step away from Stiles' Jeep."

Jackson turned the tables on Scott. "This is your problem, not mine, okay? I didn't say anything, which means you're the one that's gonna get me killed. Okay, this is your fault." Scott punched the Jeep again.

"Can we stop hitting my Jeep? Yo, all right, yo, guys, stop. All right?"

Scott glared at Jackson. "When they come after you, I won't be able to protect you. I can't protect anyone."

"Why are you looking at me?"

"You know, now you have to do it," Jackson said. "Get me what I want, and I will be fine protecting myself."

"No, you won't!" Jackson yelled. "Just trust me. All it does is make things worse."

"Oh, yeah, really? You can hear anything you want and run faster than humanly possible. Sounds like a real hardship, McCall."

"Yeah, I can run really fast now - Except had the time, I'm running away from people trying to kill me. And I can hear things like - like my girlfriend telling people that she doesn't trust me anymore right before breaking up with me. I'm not lying to you! It - ruins your life."

"It ruined your life. You had all the power in the world, and you didn't know what to do with it. You know what it's actually like? It's like you turned 16 and someone brought you a Porsche when they should have started you out with a nice little Honda. Me? I drive a Porsche."

Kya mocked him. "'I drive a Porsche.' Good for you. No one cares. I bet if you were turned into a werewolf you'd had the same reaction as Scott."

EXT. WOODS

Lydia looked at the arrow Allison had loaded and asked, "What does that do?"

"We're about to find out," Allison replied, screwing the flash bomb arrowhead into one of her arrows. She fired it and the three jumped a little at the explosion and flash.

"What the hell was that?"

"I don't know."

"Well - that was fun! Any more lethal weapons you wanna try out?"

The sound of branches breaking caught Allison's attention and she cocked her head.

"Hold this," Allison said, handing Lydia the bow.

"What? Why?"

"Because I thought I heard something."

"So - what if you heard something?"

"So - I want to find out what that something is. Don't worry. It's probably nothing."

"Well, what if that nothing is something and that something is something dangerous?"

"Shoot it." She ran off.

"You can't give me orders," Kya yelled, turning to Lydia. "Wait. You can't even hear me."

Allison trekked through the woods and shot her taser at her follower. He fell in pain. "Scott?"

"Trigger finger!" Scott cried.

"Oh!" Allison let go of the trigger. "Oh, God, oh, God. I'm so, so, so, so sorry."

"Ohh - no, it's my fault. Totally my fault"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"I didn't know it was you. If I'd known it was you I'd-"

"Still would have pulled the trigger?"

"No! Of course not. Seriously, I-I'm so sorry. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"What were you doing here anyway? Were you - following us?"

"No. Not at all. Your dad told me that you run this trail sometimes, and I was hoping to catch you alone."

"By following me?"

"Well - yeah."

"What for?"

Scott pulled out Allison's pendant. "I found this at school."

Allison took the pendant. "Thank God! I was beginning to think that it was stolen."

"No. No, just lost. Definitely not - stolen by anyone."

"Well, thank you for finding it. And bringing it."

"You don't - think I'm a total stalker now, do you?"

"Hmm - no. I just think you're weird. Like you always are."

The two exchanged a cute smile and Allison hugged him. Scott watched as she walked away.

That night, Kya was hanging out with Stiles, as she usually did.

INT. STILINSKI HOME

Stiles attacked the refrigerator like hunting milk was a huge quest, causing Kya to burst out laughing, and noticed his dad sitting at the dining room table with open case files.

"Whatcha doing?" Stiles and Kya asked.

"Work," Sheriff Stilinski replied.

"Anything I can help with?" Stiles questioned.

"You know, if you poured me an ounce whiskey, that would be awfully nice."

"Any leads?" Stiles inquired as he grabbed a tumbler, bottle and sat down. Kya shook her head slowly, warning him against what she figured he was about to do, but he ignored her.

"You know I can't discuss that with you. Not too much."

"Okay." Stiles poured a full glass. "There you go, Dad."

"Thanks."

"Bottoms up."

"Stiles-" Kya warned.

Stiles covered her mouth and shook his head.

Sheriff Stilinski downed the glass before saying, "You know, Derek Hale would be a whole hale of a lot - Hale of a lot?"

Stiles grinned. "Hell of a lot?"

"Hell. Yes. He would be a hell of a lot easier to catch if we could get an actual picture of him."

"How do you not have a picture of him?"

"It's the weirdest thing. It's like every time we tried to get a mug shot, it's like two - Laser beams were pointing at the camera."

Stiles and Kya looked at the picture to see what looked to be two laser beams where Derek's eyes were supposed to be and the former said, "Nice."

"Oh, my God. Ohh! God, that ounce hit me like a brick. And I have said way too much, and if you repeat any of that-"

"Dad - it's me. I'm not gonna say anything. Come on," Stiles replied, knowing full well he would probably tell Scott.

"See, the thing is they're all connected. I mean, the bus driver that got killed, he was an insurance investigator assigned to the Hale house fire."

""Terminated under suspicion of fraud,"" Stiles read.

"Exactly."

"Who else?"

"The video store clerk who got his throat slashed - He's a convicted felon, history of arson."

"What about the other two guys, the guys who got killed in the woods?"

"Priors all over their records including-"

"Arson. So maybe they all had something to do with the fire," Stiles guessed as he poured another tumbler full. "Another shot?"

"No, no, no, no more."

"Dad, come on. You work really hard, all right? You deserve it."

"Oh, my God, I'm gonna have such a hangover."

"You mean you're gonna have such a good night's sleep." His voice dropped. "I'm gonna have an eternity in the lowest circle of Hell."

He pulled Kya aside and asked, "Are you okay? You look paler than normal."

Kya frowned at him. "Hilarious."

"Kya, are you okay?"

She nodded slowly, then shook her head as she tried holding his hand, only to have it phone through once again. "I miss this," she whispered.

INT. MCCALL HOME

Scott returned home and listened to a voicemail from Harris. "Scott, I noticed you hadn't handed in your paper today. If you need an extension, the best I can do is another 48 hours."

A knock on his door sounded and he muttered. "Ohh, son of a - Not now, Mom. I said not now." He opened the door to reveal Allison.

"Sorry," Allison apologized. "Your mom let me in. Can we talk?"

INT. STILINSKI HOME

Stiles walked back towards his father, glancing back at Kya, who was standing back, trying to brush away the mention of the Alpha. And here he thought ghosts couldn't get afraid.

"Stiles, there's just so many questions," the sheriff complained, nearly dropping his glass and Stiles caught it.

"Like what?" Stiles asked.

"Like if Derek - wanted to kill everyone involved with the fire. Then why start with his sister? I mean, she had nothing to do with it. Why make it look like some kind of animal did it? When that cougar ended up in the parking lot - I checked with animal control. You know the instances of wild animal reports were up 70% over the past few months? It's like they're just going crazy, running out of the woods. I don't know."

"Or something's scaring them out."

The sheriff stared at his son for a long moment. "You know, I miss talking to you. It's like we never have time-"

"Dad, you know, I have to make a phone call - I'm sorry. I'll be right back." He began walking away.

"I do. I miss it. And I miss your mom."

Stiles stopped. "What'd you say?"

Sheriff Stilinski started pouring more whiskey and Stiles stopped him, causing him to say, "Thanks."

Kya walked up with a small smile. "It'll be okay, Stiles."

He gave her a small smile in return. "Thanks, Kya."

INT. MCCALL HOME

Scott and Allison sat on his bed in an uncomfortable silence.

After a moment, Scott asked, "Do you want me to say something first?"

"No," Allison replied.

"Okay. Do you want me to leave you alone for a few minutes?"

"Why would I want that?"

"I don't know. It's just that, um - you came in here and said that you wanted to talk, and we've been sitting here for like ten minutes - and you haven't said anything yet, and it's starting to freak me out."

"Sorry. It's a little hard to start. This is going to sound really ridiculous. Like, I-I guess I just - I don't want you to laugh at me."

"I would never laugh at you."

"It's about my family."

"Okay."

"A little while ago, I got them in a lie. A small one. When my aunt first arrived, she had some car trouble, and - My dad said it was a flat tire, but she said she needed a jumpstart."

"Maybe it was just a little miscommunication."

"Yeah, that was what I thought too. And then I found glass on her car like - her window had been smashed in. I've been overhearing some really strange conversations. I think some of it has to do with Derek."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I think that he's not-"

Melissa popped her head into her son's room. "Hey, Scott, I'm coming home late tonight - what? What - what's wrong? Is it - is it my hair, makeup?"

"No. No, nothing. You look beautiful."

"You look amazing," Allison complimented.

"Amazing. Why do you look amazing?"

Melissa smiled. "Because, amazingly, I'm having dinner for once with a member of the male gender who's over the age of 16."

"Who?"

"Uh, it's a medical rep that came into the hospital, today. Yeah, we just kinda started talking, and the next thing I know, I'm saying yes to dinner and - I'm really hating myself for skipping the gym last week."

"What medical rep?"

The doorbell rang. "That medical rep. And, uh, I'm not - I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I'm not done, I'm not ready, so if you could please just get the - get the door and talk with him, okay, just - Be nice."

"Just one minute," Scott said as the doorbell rang again. He heard a heartbeat on the other side of the door, which caused him to pause.

"Scott!" Melissa yelled. "Get the door. Scott! For the love of God, please." The door opened on its own and there was no one there. "Hey. What are you doing? Aren't you gonna invite him in?"

When Scott looked away and looked back, Peter appeared the doorway.

"Hello there," Peter greeted as the Scott tried to close the door and he stopped him. "Really? Slam the door in my face? Come on, Scott. Take a second to think that through."

"I'll tell her," Scott said.

"That I used to be a catatonic invalid with burns covering half my face? Good luck with that."

"If you hurt her, if you even touch her-"

"Scott, if I may interrupt your listing of the top five most impotent-sounding threats for a moment, try and remember that I've been in a coma for six years. Don't you think I'd like to have dinner with a beautiful woman?"

"Just - just have a second," Melissa said. "Sorry."

"Or maybe - You think that I've come up with an idea. Like how it might be easier to convince you to be part of the pack. You need to understand how much more powerful we are together - You and me and Derek. Did you know that someone the most successful military operations during the Second World War were the German U-boat attacks? Do you know what they were called? Wolf packs. Did you know that or are you failing history as well?"

"I know the Germans lost the war," Scott replied.

Peter continued. "I think you'll find that most historians would argue that as a failure of leadership. And trust me, we don't have that problem here."

Melissa walked down the stairs. "I'm ready, I'm ready. Sorry again."

"Mom-" Scott began.

"Yes? Sweetheart?"

Scott said, "Have a good time."

"Okay."

Kya, who had blipped in just as Melissa was leaving, widened her eyes and disappeared.

INT. BOYS LOCKER ROOM

Jackson was working out, when suddenly Derek turned his music off. He picked a different song, put it on, and stood to where Jackson could see him.

"What the hell?" Jackson wondered, seeing Derek. "Hey."

"I like your taste in music," Derek complimented. "I haven't heard this one - in a long time."

Jackson grabbed his lacrosse stick. "I'm not afraid of you. Come on. I'm not afraid."

A small grin crossed Derek's face. "Yeah. You are. You know, I bet you haven't had a day in your whole life - where you haven't been afraid of something. But you won't have to be anymore. Not when you're one of us."

INT. MCCALL HOUSE - SCOTT'S ROOM

Scott began tearing apart his room as he spoke to Allison. "If you just stay, I swear - I'll be right back. I just - I just have to, um - I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't totally, incredibly important."

"It's all right," Allison said.

"No, no. I want to talk to you. There's actually nothing I want to do more right now. Can you please stay? Please? I'll be right back. Thank you."

EXT. BEACON HILLS HIGH SCHOOL

Derek led Jackson out of the school. Kate was there watching them, confirming her suspicions about Jackson.

INT. STILINSKI HOUSEHOLD

Kya blipped back in and said, "Melissa went on a date with Peter. Are you with me for date crashing?"

Stiles grinned. "Hell yeah. Where are we going?"

"Um, that I don't know."

Stiles tracked Melissa's location and held up his phone. "Got her."

EXT. ROAD

"Everything okay?" Peter asked.

"Mm, I don't know," Melissa replied. "I just feel like we maybe missed the turn for the restaurant?"

"Hm, I'll pull over. We can map it on your phone."

"Okay." She noticed Peter staring at her and he touched her cheek. "What?"

"I was just noticing that you have the most incredible skin. It's flawless."

"That's a new one on me."

"Do you mind?" His eyes began glowing red.

Melissa dropped her phone. "Oh. Sorry." Another car hit them from behind. "Oh, are you kidding me? Stiles!"

"Mrs. McCall?" Stiles and Kya called.

"Yes!" Melissa cried.

"Wow, this is - this is just crazy," Stiles commented. "What a coincidence, huh?"

"Ha ha-"

Peter got out of the car and whispered, "Nicely done, Scott. Nicely done." Scott was hiding a few cars down.

"I mean I do not even know what happened," Stiles said. "You guys just came out of nowhere."

"Came out of nowhere!" Melissa yelled. "We were parked on the side of the road, Stiles."

"How crazy is that? I mean, we should probably call the cops, you know, do like an accident report thing."

"I don't think that's necessary," Peter replied.

"Are you sure? I think I'm feeling a little whiplash."

"Whiplash?" Melissa repeated. "You hit us!"

"I don't know - there's definitely something wrong with my neck."

Peter spoke to the beta. "I know you're there, Scott, and I'm impressed. It's too bad most teenagers aren't that smart. It's like that one on the lacrosse team - Jackson. Thinks he knows all about us. You know how they say knowledge is power. Not in his case."

"Jackson," Scott muttered. "Oh, no."

Kya and Stiles got back into the Jeep and she laughed. "Oh, you're so bad at on the spot lies!"

Stiles turned to her with a frown. "I panicked!"

"You panic horribly."

"Be nice."

"I'm always nice."

"No, you're usually more annoying."

"Only to you."

"And you cause chaos everywhere."

"My best quality."

"No, not really."

"Takes one to know one, Stilinski."

EXT. HALE HOUSE

Derek brought Jackson to the Hale house.

"This is it?" Jackson asked. "This is the place."

"Go in," Derek urged.

"Is it safe? I don't want rafters falling on my head."

"Go in."

Jackson entered. "What's in here?"

"Everything you want. It's gonna be all right. Trust me."

"This house - It's the same h-house."

"What'd you say?"

"I've dreamt about this place. I-I remember the staircase. I remember these walls. I remember - everything."

"You've been here?"

"No, never. I dreamt it." Jackson turned around. "There's no one here and no one else is coming?" He backed away. "No, please - Please don't, okay? I'll shut up - I'll never say another word again. I'll leave Scott alone. Please, you can't do this! Please! I-I don't deserve it."

"I think you do."

"N-no!"

"Look around you! Wouldn't there be someone here trying to save you? There's no one here. There is a reason. No one cares that you drive an expensive car. No one cares that you have perfect hair, and no one cares that you're captain of the lacrosse team."

"Excuse me," Scott said. "Co-captain." He leapt from the staircase to come between them.

"Move!"

"No."

"Fine. I'll kill you too." A flash bomb went off outside and Jackson scurried away. "Cover your eyes!" He noticed Scott was bleeding from being shot with an assault rifle. "Scott! Go! Run!"

Scott coughed up blood and didn't move. Derek dodged bullets to haul Scott to his feet and threw him away from the hunters. Derek opened the front door to confront the attackers himself.

INT. MCCALL HOME - SCOTT'S ROOM

Allison got a text from Kate while she was waiting for Scott.

EXT. WOODS

"Allison," Scott said. "Stop."

His wounds were smoking from the wolfsbane bullets.

INT. MCCALL HOME - SCOTT'S ROOM

Allison got tired of waiting and left.

EXT. WOODS

Deaton found Scott in the woods. "It's all right, Scott. You're gonna be all right."

INT. ANIMAL CLINIC

Deaton removed the bullets and eventually noticed Scott stirring. "I wouldn't get up just, yet."

"Where am I-" Scott began.

"You're fine. And I've given you something that should - Speed up the healing process."

"But you're a vet."

"That's very true - and 90% of the time, I'm mostly treating cats and dogs."

"Mostly?"

"Mostly." He smiled.

INT. UNDERGROUND TUNNEL

Kate led Allison down an underground tunnel.

"What is this place?" Allison asked.

"Let's start with the basics," Kate replied. "You know how every family has secrets? Ours is a little different." She rolled back a door to reveal a dungeon, with Derek hanging on a wall. She turned on a light and Derek roared at her. "Isn't he beautiful?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 788 17
After Scott's pack defeated Void Stiles, they thought they had gotten rid of him for good. But when Stiles finds himself fighting a battle he can't w...
6.9K 221 13
For me you can't do a Teen Wolf Movie about the Nogitsune and Allison's return without Stiles being present, so here is my version of how this should...
33K 913 46
"Look, I get it. You probably think I'm a total weirdo now. Just please, don't tell anyone. Including Scott." Stiles moved to sit next to her and gra...
200K 3.6K 102
Nicolette Hamilton, the seemingly reckless orphan Melissa McCall took in, daughter of Poseidon, returns to her hometown of Beacon Hills, California a...