Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 30

1.2K 145 81
By NebulusCharlie

Lan Zhan’s sensitive nose has never felt so violated before.

Being in a bar, the smell of alcohol permeates the air and hangs heavy all around them. It's sweet and sour and pungent, and for the hundredth time, Lan Zhan wonders why people need to drink.

Especially when they cannot hold their alcohol.

Wen Chao has a dirty glint in his eyes as he completely dispenses with the glass and drinks from the bottle of chardonnay like it is water. His lips twist into a grimace of mirth, while his beady eyes watch Lan Zhan like a predator.

Lan Zhan catches a whiff of something else…something he can't quite figure out…but it's gone before he can get a handle on it.

Wen Chao stinks of stale beer and curry, none of which gain him points on the attraction scale, and yet somehow, this does not deter Wang Lingjiao from draping herself all over him.

Lan Zhan wonders if her nose is broken, internally.

But then, she probably smells just as bad as him, and as a couple, they match.

Lan Zhan wishes his brother would get back to his side faster, so he wouldn't have to engage in any way with the mess to his left, or if the mess up and left, that would also be an acceptable solution.

Wen Chao pulls out a packet of white pills. They look harmless but Lan Zhan isn't a fool; he knows enough about drugs to understand that they shouldn't be mixed with alcohol…and still, before he can say anything, both Wen Chao and Wang Lingjiao chug down two each as if they were candies, washing them down with a bottle of merlot. The switch from white wine to red seems to be unconsciously done, and they're not eating anything in between to soak up the excess alcohol.

Wen Chao misses and ends up staining the whole front of his jacket and shirt, while Wang Lingjiao giggles uncontrollably, her shrill high pitched noise grating on Lan Zhan’s nerves. She gets up to visit the bar once more, when it looks like they're done with this bottle. Their little table is littered with the aftermath of their drinking, empty bottles and rubbish.

There are two wait staff who go around cleaning up tables but the sheer volume of customers tonight, means that they simply haven't gotten around to checking over here, on this side of the bar yet.

XiChen is back and thankfully his presence makes Wen Chao move away.

"Ge…do you know of any other Lan family members nearby?" Lan Zhan asks him.

"There are many distant relatives." XiChen tells him. "Why?"

Lan Zhan explains about JingYi and his situation.

XiChen pulls Lan Zhan’s laptop towards himself, carefully angling it away from Wen Chao's nosy glare, and opens Facebook. From there, it's only a few more clicks before a picture of three happy people lights up the screen.

A man of around thirty years old, has his arm around his wife, the same Mrs Lan who came to visit them earlier, and of course, little JingYi.

"This picture was taken a couple of years ago." XiChen gestures towards the time stamp. "He's a cousin of a cousin."

"But still…he's a Lan. I can't believe a Lan would raise a hand against his own family, Ge."

XiChen pats his knee sympathetically.

"I know it's hard for you…but sometimes, we only share a family name with these types of people. Distance can be created from circumstances and upbringing….we cannot expect every Lan to have our core values." He knows how hard it is for Lan Zhan to accept this.

Their uncle may have been strict with the way they were brought up, but he made sure their moral compasses were functioning properly, with a good ethical base. Lan Zhan is a black-and-white kind of person; he is very objective, very simple when it comes to right and wrong. He does not do blurred lines.

They spend the rest of the time researching what to do when reporting domestic abuse, and the likelihood of being able to adopt JingYi.

It doesn't look good.

If the parents don't want to give up their child, there may be nothing Lan Zhan and Wei Ying can do…

"We'll need a lawyer who specialises in family disputes." XiChen says. "I'll look into it tomorrow…so we can contact someone on Monday."

It's really late when Wen Chao sends Wang Lingjiao back to the bar to buy 'something interesting' and Lan Zhan hears her asking for a Rainbow Paradise Sangria.

"Madam…I think you've reached your limit." Wei Ying tells her, wiping his bar counter with a rag.

"Are you refusing to serve me?" She asks him, incredulously.

"Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing." He pushes the bowl of peanuts towards her. "This might be a better option for you, right now."

She screeches with outrage, flinging notes of cash at him, but Wei Ying ignores the money and continues to clean up.

"WHERE'S YOUR MANAGER?" She shouts, catching the attention of every person in the bar.

The crowd has thinned to about a hundred people now.

Lan Zhan sees Wei Ying’s cheeks heat up, but he continues to ignore her.

She grabs the bowl of peanuts and flings it hard at Wei Ying, who only avoids being hurt by stepping back and protecting his face with his arms.

Lan Zhan is already standing up, ready to defend his Wei Ying…but a hand on his arm stops him from moving.

"Wait. Watch." XiChen advises him, nodding towards where the manager, Su She has materialised out of nowhere.

"Serve the lady." Su She tells him.

Lan Zhan is just as shocked as Wei Ying looks. He was expecting the manager to support Wei Ying, because he's right.

"I don't see one." Wei Ying replies in a cold voice, staring back in a challenge at Su She.

The screeching, outraged Wang Lingjiao continues to disrupt the peace, but now it's background noise, because Su She slams his fist down on the bar counter top.

"Serve her, or you're fired."

Wang Lingjiao begins to jeer at Wei Ying, her useless mouth spouting so much nonsense, because now she has the support of management.

XiChen goes to the bar, and approaches Su She.

"She's clearly inebriated. Doesn't your bar have some kind of cut off policy?" He asks.

Wang Lingjiao is supremely offended, and goes to slap XiChen for suggesting such a thing, but XiChen has been keeping an eye on her, and ducks just in time. Her forceful slap echoes in the sudden silence as it finds the face of Su She, who screams out in pain.

Wen Chao staggers up and joins his girlfriend.

"What's taking so long? Don't they know how to make it? What did you ask for?" He slurs, holding onto her for stability.

Unfortunately for them, she slips on her high heels, crashing down onto a table and then there is only chaos.

A fight breaks out and Wei Ying jumps over the high bar to stop people from hitting each other, fists are thrown and there's screaming and shouting, not only by the females inhabiting the space; the men seem to be just as chaotic and disruptive, fighting because they've drunk too much.

Lan Zhan grabs his laptop, throws it into his sling bag, and grabs his brother. One nod to each other, and they grab Wei Ying to leave this crazy place where now, chairs are being thrown and just as they are leaving, Lan Zhan looks back at the awful expression on Wen Chao's face.

"Next time." He says, and winks back at Lan Zhan.

There is something so chilling about his face, that crazy look in his black eyes…

At that moment, he didn't look drunk. Not at all…

"You're fired, Wei WuXian! Don't bother coming back tomorrow!" Su She yells, holding his face.

"Well, in that case…" Wei Ying says, and in a reckless move, wriggles out of Lan Zhan’s grip and flies over the counter once more, to retrieve the tip jar. He takes approximately half of the notes, making sure the rest goes to his partner, the other guy who bartends alongside him.

This time when he jumps over the counter, Su She makes an uncalculated move of shifting at the wrong time, and gets kicked in the face for his trouble.

***********

Wei Ying is uncharacteristically silent in the car, on the ride back home.

XiChen decided to go back to his home, the one he shares with Lan Zhan. He wore an expression of longing when he looked back at them, as if he wanted Lan Zhan to come with him.

But even though Lan Zhan knows the way XiChen's relationship with Nie MingJue is progressing, it's only realistic to understand that he won't be sharing accommodation with Lan Zhan for long.

As part of a new couple himself, Lan Zhan can sympathise with the urge to stay with one's partner.

And Lan Zhan enjoys living with Wei Ying and A-Yuan too much to want to give it up yet…or ever.

Why should he? He thinks rebelliously with an internal smile.

They pull up outside Wei Ying’s apartment building.

Wei Ying still hasn't said anything.

Lan Zhan covers his hand with his own.

"Well…I guess we have a good start on our plan from this morning." He says, staring through the windscreen and seeing nothing.

"Mn?"

"Your get-Wei-Ying-a-new-job plan." He sounds so sad, all of a sudden.

"I'm sorry…that you were fired." He's not, because Lan Zhan hates Su She and worries over Wei Ying’s safety overrides the actual job. But he knows he should say something along those lines.

Wei Ying laughs through his sudden tears.

"No, you're not. I can see it on your face." Wei Ying smacks his arm playfully.

Lan Zhan unfastens their seat belts and lifts Wei Ying into his arms.

"Your Lan arm strength is truly frightening." Wei Ying says, burying his face in Lan Zhan’s neck.

Lan Zhan hugs him tighter.

He might not understand Wei Ying’s attachment to that job, but he knows that hugs help immensely.

"I just…I wanna get it out of my system before we go up." Wei Ying says in a thick voice. "I know it was just a matter of time before something pissed me off enough to make me leave…but it's one thing to quit and another thing to be fired."

While he cries, Lan Zhan runs his fingers through his long hair. It's soothing for both of them, and Wei Ying can feel the care and sympathy Lan Zhan is trying to pass onto him, through their connection.

The minutes pass by as Wei Ying begins to calm himself.

Lan Zhan puts himself in Wei Ying's position and tries to talk to him. He feels inadequate in this, because he's never been fired…ever, and his financial situation has never been close to what Wei Ying’s is at the moment. But he wants to help.

"It must be scary to… to have that happen. But I am serious about hiring Wei Ying."

Wei Ying can hear the sincerity in his voice.

"I know you are… and thank you. It's just that I've been working there nonstop for nearly three years… it's going to be kind of a drastic change."

"It might be better… and you don't have to say thank you."

Wei Ying kisses his cheek affectionately.

"Why do you say that?" He nuzzles closer, and Lan Zhan is reminded of a cat.

His palm is rubbing Wei Ying’s back, circular strokes that are calming to them both.

"When people are close, there is no need for those words, even to say sorry. Those are polite words intended to hold up barriers in return for something. They imply debt…and I believe that love overrides that. I would burn down the planet if you asked me to, and I wouldn't need a thank you for it."

Wei Ying looks up into blazing golden eyes, filled with the fire of his conviction.

Their lips crash together, a force of love and trust between them, a sealing of unspoken promises made in the deepest recesses of their hearts.

Lan Zhan feels an all too familiar but no less potent hunger running through his system, a need to devour, consume this man and keep him safe, curled inside of himself. Everything he is feeling, he pours it into this kiss, and when they finally drift apart, Wei Ying is dazed, staring up at him with swollen lips and stars shining in his beautiful eyes.

"I love you." He says breathlessly.

"As I love you. Wei Ying…you must understand…we are together now. I will never let anything bad happen to you…."

Wei Ying simply hugs him fast.

Lan Zhan can hear his heart beating in Wei Ying's chest, like the wings of a hummingbird.

In one fluid movement, Lan Zhan steps out of his car still carrying Wei Ying. He locks the vehicle and in four strides, they are inside the apartment building.

All is silent in the apartment itself. Wen PoPo has left the kitchen light on, and Lan Zhan warms up leftovers for Wei Ying to eat.

Conversation is limited because Lan Zhan has never been particularly loquacious and the normally chatty one's mouth is busy. They wash up together.

Lan Zhan is going through the refrigerator and making a list of groceries they need to buy soon, when Wei Ying comes up behind him and slips his arms around Lan Zhan’s waist. He rests his chin on Lan Zhan’s shoulder, after placing one shiver-inducing kiss on his neck.

"Watchya doing?" He asks playfully.

"We need ingredients. And I'm thinking about what to make tomorrow. What if we film our first video tomorrow night?" Lan Zhan asks tentatively.

He's not sure how his suggestion will be taken, but he's never been one to delay the inevitable; and he doesn't want to give Wei Ying the time to wallow about his bar job.

This can be just the thing it takes to get Wei Ying out of the funk of losing his job.

"Ah…for your new cooking channel?" Wei Ying asks him, smiling.

"Our…new cooking channel…what do you think about -" He goes on about some complicated fancy sounding dish.

Wei Ying lets him finish and then says, "what's your target audience?" He takes Lan Zhan back into their bedroom and sits him on the edge of their bed.

His fingers begin to unbutton Lan Zhan’s shirt automatically, while his silver eyes are powerfully intense, waiting for Lan Zhan’s answer.

"Primarily vegetarian dishes, catering towards cooking for kids." Lan Zhan says, feeling hotter and hotter, just from this undivided, concentrated attention from his lover.

Thoughts are hard to cling onto right now.

"So then…probably mothers and fathers with little time … why don't you do a series of easy-to-prepare ten minute meals? Or fifteen? And the time before we launch is golden, because too many of those channels don't have enough material to start. How often have you clicked on a video only to find a drought of content because the creators haven't thought ahead? Speaking from my own point of view, I always want more and then I'm frustrated when there's none ready."

Lan Zhan grabs the wrists of Wei Ying's hands which are currently holding onto the panels of Lan Zhan’s shirt, and yanks.

Now he has a lapful of a very aroused Wei Ying squirming where he shouldn't.

"Hey…I do believe I promised you something…" a naughty, mischievous smile on his face, is all the warning Lan Zhan gets, before Wei Ying tackles him onto the bed.

Hot lips are kissing him, sucking on his bottom lip and biting down. Wei Ying’s hands are clutching Lan Zhan’s head and then those racy fingers grab the ends of Lan Zhan’s hair, and he tugs.

Lan Zhan is powerless to stop the throaty growl that is pulled from his mouth as he flips them over to ravage Wei Ying.

When he looks down, Lan Zhan is staring at the most beautiful man he has ever seen. Wei Ying is staring up at him with galaxies shining in his gorgeous, expressive eyes, his chest heaving with desire. And the more Lan Zhan looks at him, a pink tinge spreads across his captivating features, making Lan Zhan fall in love with him all over again.

Now though…there's nothing chaste about his thoughts.

Lan Zhan looks at his fingers, and it's just as if they mirror his thoughts, because his nails grow that much sharper, and in a single swipe, he has cut through all of Wei Ying's layers, leaving that golden skin exposed and ready to kiss.

Lan Zhan pounces.

**************

Saturday in the Wei household is a relaxed affair.

There's no school to rush out of bed for, and instead there are sleepy kisses and lots of cuddling before Lan Zhan pulls them both into the shower.

This is still a new activity for them and … it's interesting how creative they can get when faced with cramped conditions and limited hot water.

Wei Ying is complaining about this very thing, when Lan Zhan has another bright idea. But he sighs, tabling it for now. There's no way Wei Ying is ready to have that conversation…and Lan Zhan doesn't want to push him.

Not yet.

"What?"

Lan Zhan looks up to see Wei Ying staring back at him. "Mn?"

Wei Ying sidles over to Lan Zhan and wraps his arms around his waist, looking up into a puzzled face, albeit a handsome one.

Lan Zhan is looking particularly good today, and Wei Ying isn't sure if it's because all that talk of being together has finally sunk in now.

No…He thinks.

Lan Zhan always looks this good.

"Mn?" Lan Zhan asks again, well aware that Wei Ying was distracted once again.

"Oh…oh, yeah. I was going to ask you what you're thinking about…it's not the first time, either. You get this look on your face like you've suddenly had a life-altering epiphany…and then you look at me, and all that excited happiness fizzles away like it's nothing. Please….don't do that." Wei Ying finishes quietly.

Lan Zhan wonders how he got so lucky.

It's not the first time Wei Ying has been able to read him…and it's so nice to be understood… without having to explain himself.

"Well….Wei Ying was saying how small this bathroom is…and I had an idea." But he's sure Wei Ying won't like it. His face reflects both these twin directions of his thoughts.

"You're doing it again." Wei Ying accuses him. "You're lucky you're so cute. Otherwise I'd never let you get away with it." He reaches up on his toes to press a sweet kiss on Lan Zhan’s nose. "Now spill, and don't worry so much about whether or not I'll like it."

"Mn. I thought…what if we move back into my apartment? There's more room for the children and there is an actual bath in the bathroom." In fact, the more Lan Zhan thought about it, the more appealing it was.

He would be able to wash Wei Ying’s hair properly….and there was lots of hot water…

As Wei Ying stared back at this impossibly giving person, he could see how much Lan Zhan wanted that.

"Do you…I mean….are you … " Wei Ying didn't quite know how to ask his question. "Are you slumming it with us…as in, you don't like -"

Lan Zhan was horrified enough to cover his mouth with his hand.

"No. I have never thought of here as slumming it. This place will always be precious to me…because this is where I found Wei Ying. And A-Yuan." He replies, vehemently.

"Awwww! And then you go and say something like that!" Wei Ying flung his arms around Lan Zhan’s neck, holding him close.

This was everything.

Lan Zhan holds Wei Ying’s hips flush against his own body, feeling as if this was all he needed, was all he would ever need.

"Can we think about it?" Wei Ying offers, after a while. "Moving to your place, I mean?"

"Our place." Lan Zhan corrects him, a small smile playing on his lips.

Wei Ying smiles back. "It's just that moving will mean uprooting the kids from school. It's hard to move to a new place and have to fit in…"

Lan Zhan nods, feeling so much better.

It's not a no…alright, it's not a yes either, but since it's only a matter of time, that is something Lan Zhan has in abundance.

************

Both boys are giggling and whispering when they go to wake them up.

Wei Ying falls into their bed, a tickle monster come alive just to terrorise two little puddles of sunshine, and it's not long before three red faces are staring back at Lan Zhan.

"What would you like for breakfast?" He asks them, admiring the way Wei Ying can simply insert himself anywhere successfully.

"Bunny pancakes, Zhan Gege!" A-Yuan shouts, making grabby hands at him.

"A-Yuan…A-Yuan….what did you forget to say?" His fingers make threatening poses near the already giggling child.

"I didn't forget anything!" He squeal-yells…on purpose, because there's a knowing glint in his gray eyes.

"Are you sure?" Wei Ying is dragging the word out.

JingYi is watching in second hand anticipation, already scared for his friend. His mouth is open in delight.

Lan Zhan smiles, hoping the boy will always have that happiness in his eyes.

A-Yuan gurgles out a yes.

"It begins with p." Wei Ying says, but it sounds like a warning.

A-Yuan already knows that he's walking a dangerous line…but he actually chortles and shifts all of his attention to Wei Ying, holding his chubby little palms out to ward him off.

"I don't know!" He lies gleefully, just so Wei Ying can tickle him relentlessly.

Lan Zhan leaves the room listening to happy joyful laughter, surprised at how contagious it is.

After breakfast, they all get ready to accompany Wei Ying to work.

They are taking Lan Zhan’s car, and JingYi turns out to be some kind of supercar buff, because his eyes are as big as the plates they just ate their breakfast off.

Wei Ying arrives well on time and he waves happily to them as he enters the Coffee Carousel.

Then Lan Zhan takes the boys grocery shopping.

JingYi has never been and this is only A-Yuan's second time going with Zhan Gege; they're both way too excited.

And Lan Zhan is far too indulgent.

Three happy people leave the supermarket with far too many bags and lots of ideas for the new show Lan Zhan is thinking about.

Whilst looking at the items on display in the vegetable aisle, Lan Zhan was struck with inspiration and asked the children their opinions on green beans, aubergines (eggplant), cauliflower, cabbage and carrots, to name a few.

He received a wide range of responses from noncommittal hums to "ew! What's that?" And even managed to film a few to show Wei Ying later.

They had sandwiches for lunch before Lan Zhan revealed his surprise for the boys: he had ordered a super heroes edition of Lego packs, enough that both boys could entertain themselves sufficiently, while Lan Zhan researched child-friendly recipes online.

He bookmarked several for a joint opinion with Wei Ying and the children later, because now it was time to go and collect Wei Ying from the Coffee Carousel.

He was just closing his laptop, when he saw that F4keSt0ries had replied.

The notification blinked ominously in the corner, waiting for him to click on it.

**********

A/N

Dear Beautiful Readers,

My arm is on fire but in a good way (?). I'm in the middle of getting dragons tattooed on my right arm. I never thought I'd be a fan of them, but they look fabulous. Eight hours yesterday and another seven will happen today.

They're kind of connected to my writing, so I thought I'd share that with you guys, as well as this chapter.

You know I love cliffhanger endings so don't hate me…think of my arm (pity kindness) and I really hope you like it.

For once, the chocolate is REALLY helping….

Love you guys,

Charlie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.3K 1.7K 22
After traveling the cultivation world with Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen, Wei Ying decide to travel alone. He want to go to other place that he haven't...
Ghost By

Romance

9.2K 1K 16
Lan Zhan has been beaten nearly to death. He doesn't want to live. His Wei Ying is dead or is he? Suddenly Wei Ying is talking to Lan Zhan but is he...
64K 4.3K 12
Lan WangJi met Wei WuXian 13 years later since they lost each other in high school. Reconnecting on a music festival, they were slowly unraveling the...
192K 7.9K 33
WARNING: This story has spoilers for the show, Novel, And spinoff movie The Living Dead. A/N: I might chance character's personalities (specificall...