Imperfect Fit

Por LJRae0328

A jilted, curvy accountant joins a gym on a journey of self-love. The last thing she plans for is to fall for... Más

✨A/N and Playlist✨
Chapter 1-First Crack of Dawn
Chapter 2-She's Not A Fan
Chapter 3-How They Fire Each Other Up
Chapter 4- Office Politics
Chapter 5-Meddling Friends
Chapter 6-Blind Dates
Chapter 8-Bonding Moments
Chapter 9- Jealousy and Cake
Chapter 10-Wedding Drama & Dancing
Chapter 11-The First Kiss (Almost)
Chapter 12-Overreaction Reaction
Chapter 13- Purging and Confessions
Chapter 14-Hard To Swallow
Chapter 15-The Real First Kiss
Chapter 16-Just Once
Chapter 17- Aftercare
Chapter 18-Goldstar Treatment
Chapter 19-Heartache, Whisky and Ice
Chapter 20-Hard Realities
Chapter 21-Number One Fan
Chapter 22-Their First Couple's Fight
Chapter 23-She Finds Out
Chapter 24-Cracks Begin To Show
Chapter 25-Cracks Become Chasms
Chapter 26-Good Things Fall Apart
Chapter 27-Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do
Chapter 28 - Just You
Epilogue

Chapter 7-Steamy Encounter

7.2K 320 65
Por LJRae0328

Song for chapter : Made You Look~Meghan Trainor

SAGE

The smug grin on Tanner's tan face can only mean one thing. He has insight on the disastrous one-and-done date. The sunny glow on his skin comes courtesy from his recent business trip in Miami.

"I didn't think it was possible, man, but I think you've gotten worse since the last time we did this."

"Shut up, or I'll shove the club up your ass." Glaring at him briefly, I focus on setting up my stance and concentrate on my form. I pull the club back and swing it forward, clipping the damn miniscule ball, but it doesn't go far into the green.

"Kinky, but I'm not into that," he responds with a clap on my shoulder followed by a laugh.

We switch places and he takes his turn under the second floor heated stall we are in. "So, let me get this straight. You went out on a date, with a knock-out like Max—who was into you—from how touchy you said she was, but you went home alone?"

"I had to pick up Obie." I respond, skirting the disbelieving look he's giving me.

"What aren't you telling me?"

I lift my gaze to find him still watching me instead of setting up his swing. Shrugging my shoulders, I take in our surroundings.

"Max's nice, but I wasn't feeling it. Not my type, I guess."

"Do you have a type?" He cocks his eyebrow and then he looks down, focusing on his swing. He brings the club back and in a swift fluid motion swings it forward just like the annoying natural talent that he is with the sport.

"Well?"

"Well, what?" Once again taking my turn with the frustrating sport.

"What's your type?"

"I was joking. I don't have one. I've only been with 'B' and after Obie came along, he's been the main focus."

"No, I'm certain there was a cute little number you dated for a few months when Obie was like four or five. Shit, that was a long time ago." He rubs his chin, deep in thought. He snaps his fingers. "Ah! Amy, right?"

I set my jaw, straightening after placing the ball on the tee. "Amelia."

"That's right Amelia."

"She didn't want to join an already made family, remember?" My eyebrows cave in concentration. "Anyway, before B, I was just a horny teenager in high school and never was exclusive with anyone."

For the longest time, I didn't want to be like my parents—who were high school sweethearts only to have it all blow up when life throws an unfair curveball. 

My experiences with love comes down to one recurring result. It's a risk. One I'm not willing to take again.

"I see. So, you're not into sweet doe-eyed, curvy Latinas?"

My golf club flies out of my hand on my backswing.

"Heads up!" Tanner shouts just in time before a couple of people are taken out by my flyaway club.

"Guess that answers that." He turns back to me with a wolfish grin. "When can I meet her?" He wiggles his eyebrows.

"I don't know who you're talking about." I slump in the seat next to him and then cross my leg to stop it from bouncing.

"Sure you do, Sage. Max said you guys doubled last night. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I set you up on this blind date."

"Didn't realize you were going to get a full report on it." I growl, annoyed that my suspicion was correct. I knew he was going to ask and I was going to be honest, mostly, I just didn't expect him to know other details.

Tanner laughs heartily. "She didn't give it to me freely. In fact, I offered her a bonus incentive before she told me you spent the entire night talking and showering this other woman with attention and affection that should have been directed at her."

I scoff. "I wasn't being affectionate..." At least I don't think I was. I was just being nice. Leaning forward, I rest my elbows on my knees. "I had no idea Joanna would be there, it surprised me, honestly, and before I knew it I was asking them to join us." I sigh, running a hand through my stubble.

Remembering how amazing she looked, outside of the casual gym attire. Classy and effortlessly beautiful.

"Maybe I panicked—being alone with someone, one on one like that---and I don't know...maybe because I was familiar with Joanna, it felt more comfortable having her there, more natural."

"But wasn't she on a date, too?"

My jaw flexes, remembering that fucking dick she was with. "Yeah, but he was a class A controlling, douchebag."

Tanner snorts and my head snaps over to him. "Controlling? How in the hell can you determine that from just meeting the guy, Sage?"

"He didn't let her order a drink once he learned she is one of the participants of the boot camp and then he ordered for her like she didn't have an opinion or say in what she wanted to eat."

"Some women like that, man." He argues.

"Yeah, I know. Maxine being one of them, but Joanna wasn't having it and ordered something else."

Tanner laughs. "I can't wait to meet her."

"It's not like that, I was just looking out for her that's all. I barely know her."

It's true, I don't know her other than what I happen to catch and overhear during our training sessions. But I will admit, I like learning more about her every time we're together.

What am I saying? Shaking my head, I clear the image of her in that dress out of my mind and glance over at Tanner who's observing me.

He blows a low whistle. "Man, she's got a hold on you already and you don't even know it! Now I really have to meet her."

I roll my eyes. "I'm telling you Tanner, there's nothing there. And there's not going to be. I don't date clients."

"Or anyone for that matter." Tanner laughs, while I give him a dry look. "Come on, let's go another round before you really start sucking."

______________

"I'm home!" Tossing my keys on the small dish on the entry table near the door, I come to an abrupt stop when I round the corner and find Mei with an unexpected guest.

Mei turns to me with a soft smile on her face. "Sage, look who stopped by."

My father stands. "Son. It's been a long time."

"I'm surprised you remember where we live." Not bothering taking the ice out of my tone. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Mei clicks her tongue, but doesn't say anything. Shame comes over me, knowing I'm letting her down but when it comes to my father, I lose all sense of reason.

"Dad!"

Obie runs down the hall, the excitement on his face crushes me. Fully conscious of the sadness that will undoubtedly follow like always whenever my father makes one of his few and far in between visits.

"Isn't this great? Grandpa came to surprise me!"

My eyes shift back to my father, aware of the truth. When he visits there's always another reason—the true priority for his unannounced drop by's—not the paternal grandfather instinct that would be considered normal.

"Sure, Obie." I ruffle his hair. He doesn't like me being overly affectionate now that he's getting older. "I'm sure you've caught him up on all you've been up to with soccer and school."

"Yep! I just showed him my trophy from the tournament we won last year."

Right, the tournament he swore he would come see, but of course he didn't because he claimed he missed his flight from a vacation he was on in Mexico.

"Well, I'm off. Phineas, good to see you again. Don't stay away too long this time." Mei pats my father's arm and then kisses Obie's head and then my cheek.

"Thanks Mei."

"See you next week." She winks at me.

I face my father after the door closes. "Obie, can you give me a minute with your grandpa?" He looks between us and then nods, walking towards his room, but then he stops.

"Grandpa?"

"Yes, Obie?"

"Don't leave without saying goodbye...please."

My father stares at him for a moment and then nods. "Of course, kiddo."

Once I hear the distinct sound of his door closing I turn on my father. "I told you to not bother visiting after the last broken promise. Why are you here?"

"I'm sorry, son. I never meant to hurt him."

I scoff. "Are we doing this again? Really? The same old song and dance until the next time. Answer me. Why. Are. You. Here?"

He doesn't say anything as his eyes shift between mine, and then he turns away, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I'm getting married."

Memories of my childhood come flooding back. Happier times with him. When he was the best father any kid could hope for. But the memories turn dark, sad and unbearable; consumed with anger, resentment and pain. I clench my hands to keep me from doing something I can't take back.

"Congratulations. You can leave now." I start heading for Obie's bedroom to have him say goodbye.

"I want you there, Sage."

Closing my eyes, breathing in and out deeply, I fight to stay under control. "You have some fucking nerve." My voice is low, not wanting Obie to overhear us.

"Son, I want us to start over, to move forward."

"Funny. Every time I wanted that, it wasn't convenient for you and your busy life."

"I've already talked with Sadie and she's going to be there." Ignoring the bitter taste of betrayal from my sister's willingness to support our sorry excuse of father, I turn to face him.

"Well, she's always been the better one out of us, more like mom in that way. Forgiving and understanding with people who don't deserve it."

My father drops his head and his shoulders sag. "I didn't expect you to accept the invitation, but at least let Obie come."

"No." Taking a few steps closer. "As his father I should have done a better job of protecting him from you and your empty promises."

"Dad, I want to be there." My head snaps towards the sound of Obie's voice.

"Obie, we'll talk about it later. Please say goodbye to your grandpa, he's leaving."

"No, dad. I want to go. Please. Please!"

"Obie, listen to your father. I'll call you later." My father tries to calm him down and Obie rushes forward and hugs him. He turns around, his tear filled angry eyes glare at me.

"You're such a liar! You're always saying nothing is more important than family but you're keeping me from mine! I hate you!" He storms off slamming his door, effectively cracking my heart.

Too stunned to say or do anything, his words absorb the silence. My eyes screw shut when my father breaks the void. 

"I'm sorry Sage. I didn't mean for any of this to happen." It's like a record player of old apology's, with the words on repeat whenever he's around. "He doesn't mean it. He's just angry, he'll get over it." He continues.

"Get out."

"Sage—"

"Get out!" I shout, turning around to face him. He turns on his heel, quickly walking to the door, closing it behind him without another word. My hands claw their way through my hair and the anger and resentment becomes suffocating.

Ironically, I find myself staring at the family photo of him and I. I was around Obie's age, before things turned to shit for our family. Rearing back I punch the photo, shattering the glass, slicing the ridges of my knuckles. My hand trembles with blood traveling around the edges of my hand from my knuckles.

"Dad?" The fear in Obie's voice pierces my heart. He's standing at the opening of the hallway. 

My stomach turns, hating the horror and fear that cross his features as his eyes move from the cracked wall to the broken frame and glass on the floor and then on my bleeding hand.

"D-dad, are you okay?" He asks in a whisper. "I-I'm...I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry." He runs to me, wrapping his arms around me.

"No, Obie, this isn't your fault. I...I'm the one who's sorry. I shouldn't lose my temper...and you're right. I shouldn't keep you from wanting to support your grandpa. I just don't want you to get hurt or disappointed, which seems to happen when he visits."

His arms tighten around me and because my emotions are too close to the surface I let the tears stinging my eyes fall. 

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you, Obie." I hug him just as tight, hoping, out of anything I do as his father, he will never doubt that.

______________

"Come on Joanna, if you half-ass these last four reps I'm going to add another set."

Joanna grunts with exertion, glaring up at me, her face red from straining to complete the bench press exercise.

"You've got this, prima!" Oli encourages her. "Come on, just three more."

Joanna's arms are at the point of failure. My hands hover under the bar ready to pull up if needed. Her determination to finish is admirable. But I notice a change in her expression. I've seen it from time to time with different clients or regular members.

If they're working through things, sometimes it plays out in their work out, like it seems to be for Joanna today.

She grits her teeth, but the tears slide out of her eyes as she lifts the bar on the final rep. I guide the bar back on the rack and she breaks down, arms falling over her head, covering her eyes. I give her a moment alone with Oli as I write down her numbers on the tracking sheet.

After a few minutes, I approach them. Joanna wipes at her face and lets out a shaky breath.

"You good?" I ask, in a quiet tone. She nods, but keeps her eyes on the floor.

"I'm proud of you." I clear my throat when she lifts her gaze to mine. "You both did amazing today. Before you leave, I want to go over your food journals." Catching the look they give each other before I continue. "Oli, this week, I'd like you to trade three of your snacks for something different."

"Like what?" She asks before gulping from her water bottle.

I purse my lips, scanning over her list. "Like instead of your Taki's, trade those out for the baked chips I told you about. Or popcorn, but butterfree."

"Cool. Plain and boring." She groans, falling back on the bench dramatically. "In case you can't tell I need spice in my life, Coach."

Joanna chuckles with a sniffle. "Just add Tajin to the popcorn."

"Hey, that's a good idea!" Oli's eyes light up as I make a mental note to look up what Tajin is.

"Joanna, I need you to increase your calorie intake."

"What?!" Oli questions, sitting back up.

"For how much strength and Cardio we're adding every other day, we need to make sure you're fueling your body properly. You're not eating much during the day."

"This time of year is so busy for me, so I usually grab a protein bar or something small. It's better than nothing, right?"

"It could potentially set you back if you're not giving your body what it needs."

She nods. "Okay, Coach." Her eyes linger on my bandaged hand before she looks back up at me. She's been doing that most of our training session and I tense up each time wondering if she's going to ask me about it. "Anything else?"

I shake my head at them. "No, see you two tomorrow morning."

"Yes, Coach." Oli groans as she slides off the bench and wipes it down with the spray and towels nearby. "You're going to have to carry me, JoJo."

Joanna laughs. "Come on, let's go hit the steam room like you wanted. We've got some extra time this morning."

"Yes!" Oli suddenly perks up. "Hey, are you going to ask Rick to come to the wedding?" My ears zero in on their conversation, hearing dickweed's name.

"No, that's weird. One date in, only to have our second date be our cousin's wedding? No way. Estas loca." (You're crazy)

Our second date? It surprises me that she's even considering going out with him again. I didn't get the vibe she was into him, but then again what do I know. Joanna's head turns slightly and she realizes I'm walking behind them.

"Let's talk about it later."

They walk into the women's locker rooms as I continue on to my office. My phone vibrates and I stop to check it and see a text from my sister.

Sadie: You can't avoid me forever, Sage!

Sadie: Don't make me come kick your ass.

I chuckle and decide to finally respond back.

Me: You haven't been able to since I was thirteen.

Sadie: You'd be surprised what a motivated, angry woman is capable of little bro.

Sadie: I'm calling you on my next break and you better pick up this time!

"Sage!" I turn to Isaac, another front desk associate approaches me. "Hey, a couple of customers are complaining that the men's steam room is not functioning right. The steam is too strong, I guess."

"What about the women's?"

"No complaints that I know of," he tells me with a shrug.

"Okay, I'll head to the pump room and see what is going on. Call Todd and let him know we may need him to come do his inspection earlier than his scheduled time next week, if he can fit us in."

"You got it." He scurries back to the front desk.

I sigh, hoping it's not going to be anything I can't figure out or something that's going to be ridiculously expensive. Sometimes, people prop the doors open and that messes with the temp regulation in the rooms. Both the men and women steam rooms are facing the hot tub area, but kept separate for obvious reasons.

Through the glass windows I pause catching a glimpse of Kelly and her friend Deedee walking back into the women's locker rooms, laughing their asses off about something. I'm grateful for our timing and not having to run into her on my way to the pump room around the corner.

My head snaps back towards the steam rooms when an ear piercing scream erupts. I rush back to the open area and head to the women's steam room, but then the door across the way for the men opens. Steam billows out and my jaw drops when a naked woman backs out of the room quickly.

I swallow my shock that turns into anger when I recognize who it is.

"Joanna?"

"Ay, dios!" She yelps, turning around. She covers herself as best she can with her arms and hands. She's not wearing her glasses and her eyes squint before they widen and she rushes to leave but without her glasses she doesn't realize she's walking straight for the glass wall panel and slams into it hard, falling back with a groan.

The door to the men's steam room opens again and Gary, a regular member, steps out finishing wrapping a towel around his waist.

"I swear I didn't do nothing, if anything she scared the living shit out of me."

I scramble over to Joanna. There's a knot forming on her head and her nose is bleeding. "Joanna?" I pat her face, but it's useless; she's out cold.

Fuck.

People's running footsteps thunder near us and I take off my jacket for lack of anything on hand to cover her up. 

"Joanna?"

Gary places himself on her other side and presses two fingers on Joanna's neck. Then lowers down to check on her breathing. He's a doctor—something I've learned from previous conversations we've had over the years.

"She's breathing and her pulse is strong."

Oli comes to a skid next to us, wrapped in a towel. "What the hell happened? Ay, that's a lot of blood..." The strange sound of her voice has me looking up, just in time to see her eyes roll back and collapse next to us too.

For fuck's sake.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

268K 2K 11
"Tell me, Eleanor, do you like seeing me like this? Do you like seeing me angry with you?" he yells, banging the spot above my head. I keep my mouth...
955K 15.7K 87
{Completed} I bend her over the table and smack her perfect shaped ass. She moaned in response and oh how it was music to my ear. I place my dick at...
1.1K 31 32
Raven Jocelynna is a fearless twenty-three-year-old woman who mostly stays to herself and doesn't create any kind of drama, she lives a peaceful life...
132K 5.3K 43
(GxG) I wrapped my arm around the small of her waist and went to her ear. I then gently rubbed her side and whispered, "Later on tonight when you're...