Sword of Destiny [The Legend...

By victoria_giefing

This is the story of a princess, a chosen one, and a calamity. It begins with a ballad, and ends with a falle... More

one
two
three
four
six
seven

five

21 2 1
By victoria_giefing

The new recruits were woken the next morning by the clanging of pots and pans. A man with curly red hair and enormous arms walked around the barracks with the kitchen ware, clashing them together as he passed people sleeping. Hylians jerked awake, Taro almost falling off of the bunk above Link.

"Mornin' rats! Up and at 'em!" The man shouted. Mutters and curses echoed around the room. One kid dared to tell the man to stop.

The man chewed him out with the most colorful language Link had ever heard. "Who the hell do you think you are? Guess what," he boomed to the group. His voice drew the attention of everyone in the room. "I'm your squad captain, Captain Finnian. You will address me as such and if you ever," he jammed a finger in the kid's face, "question me, I will make you regret it."

Breakfast was held in the commissary. It was cold but not unpleasant.

Afterwards, Captain Finnian led them out to the training yards where some of the older squads were already getting started. Link yearned to be over there with them. He was used to training at this time of the morning. It was unclear whether or not his age would restrict his position.

The Captain brought them to a halt. "Alright, rats. Before we get anywhere, I need to see how many of you know how to use a sword."

They'd all been told to bring their wooden weapons. Young Hylians in the crowd played with them, clacking them together in mock fights. Finnian brought those who were roughhousing to the front of the crowd with their wooden swords. He demonstrated how to hold a sword so it balanced in your hand properly. Then, he asked the crowd to raise their hands if they knew how to handle one.

Link and a dozen others raised their hands, Taro included.

Finnian brought Taro and another lad forward. He put them opposite each other and said, "Whoever disarms the other, wins."

The bout was poorly executed in Link's standards and lasted about forty-five seconds. It consisted entirely of Taro attempting to disarm his opponent, and his opponent running around to avoid him. Link watched Finnian scowl at the other boy's cowardice and almost smiled to himself.

Hylians were called up in pairs to test their skills. One or two of them had something to work with, but most of those who said they could handle a sword were only able to hold it properly. Finally, Link and his wooden sword were called. The Master Sword lay sheathed at his side, and though Link was sure he appeared presumptuous, there was nothing he could do about it. He must not chance losing such an artifact.

Link faced his opponent. It was a girl a couple years older than him. Her hands were calloused and rough from swordplay or farming, Link couldn't tell. He was about to find out.

Finnian gave them the word to begin, and the girl launched herself at Link. Link brought up his sword to parry her attack. He was surprised at her strength--she must've seen the sword at his side and assumed he knew what he was doing, so she wasn't pulling her punches. Her long brown hair flew behind her as she drew her arm back for another swing.

Her hands were roughened from swordplay, then. She was talented. Not a lot of women enlisted in Hyrule's army, but this girl wanted it enough to prepare.

Link didn't want to disrespect her by letting it go on for very long.

He disarmed her in two swift moves. She stood stricken, her wooden weapon penetrating the soft ground. She lifted her gaze from the quivering hilt and met his eyes. She clenched her jaw and scowled.

The crowd and Captain Finnian were silent. After a moment, he said, "Where did you learn that, boy? I've only ever seen my Captain move like that."

Link only looked at him.

"Ah," Finnian realized. "I knew you were coming 'round that age. What's your name, boy?"

"Link."

"Stand over there, Link."

Link moved where he gestured and watched as Finnian carried on with assessing skill levels. Afterwards, they were divided up into small groups. The girl Link had fought stood somewhere nearby, grouped with Taro and another boy.

She was looking at him when Link glanced over, and he met her gaze. She narrowed her eyes at him again and didn't look away. They stood staring at each other until Link got distracted by another battle and looked away.

When they were finished and the only people that remained didn't know how to use a weapon, Captain Finnian began directing the groups over to different captains in the yard. He sent Taro's group right before he sent Link. To Link he said, "Good luck," and passed him over to Captain Corbett.

Captain Corbett donned dark brown hair and was almost as short as Link. He was a few years older than Finnian, and so was his squad.

As Link approached, one of the soldiers saw him and rolled his eyes. "You've got to be kidding me. Finnian thinks this kid can train with us?"

Corbett eyed him up and down. "What's your name?"

"Link."

Recognition flared in Corbett's eyes but he said nothing about his father. "Well, Link. Welcome to my squad. Finnian seems to think you're skilled enough to start off with a seasoned team."

"Sure, I think Finnian's been in the barrels if you know what I mean," the first man sniped.

Link ignored him and only looked at his new Captain. Corbett said, "How about we find out, Erek?" He looked at Link. "Would you prefer the weapon at your side or another?"

"Another."

Corbett led him to their weapons rack and Link pulled down a sword more his size. He faced the other man.

"How old are you, kid?" Erek asked.

Link said nothing, only raised his weapon, and waited.

Sure enough, the man made the first move. He began towards Link at a high speed, hoping to defeat Link in one epic maneuver. He didn't expect much from Link, Link could tell, and that was his first mistake.

Link side-stepped and watched the Erek fumble to gain his balance as his blade sailed right through where Link's head had previously been, expecting resistance.

The man whirled around and scowled. "Funny, kid. But let us see how long you last just running away."

Link prepared for the next attack, parrying a blow meant to cause some damage. They went back and forth with Link on the defensive.

But that was just until Link figured out the man's style of fighting. Captain Corbett wasn't asking Link to disarm this man, he was asking him to defeat him.

And Link did, because if he didn't, Erek would hurt him.

When the opening revealed itself, Link moved so fast he doubted they could tell what he was doing until it was done. It was the part of the technique that made it successful, his father had said. If you weren't quick enough, you could be stopped.

He spun around and kicked Erek in the chest. While his arm was raised, Link slammed his blade into Erek's, disarming him. The move caused Erek to abandon what little balance he had left and fall on his ass. Link finished by holding his blade to Erek's neck.

The man stared at him, eyes wide. He held his hands up in surrender.

Captain Corbett began a slow applause. "Incredible, Link. It appears Finnian did, in fact, think this through."

Erek scowled when Link held his hand out and got to his feet on his own. Link ignored the glare he directed towards him as Link put up his weapon. "Who taught you that?" Erek asked.

"Likely his father," Corbett commented. "The Captain, correct?"

Link confirmed with a nod. Erek scoffed. "Of course," he muttered.

Link completed his first day of training with Captain Corbett's squad. Taro and his group had been split off on the other side of the yards and Link saw that they were being incorporated into an existing squad as well. It appeared Finnian's job was to get swords into uncalloused hands.

Corbett was a kind captain. He still shouted and called them names but he wasn't cruel, and he was generous in helping Link adapt to their training regimen.

They stretched and exercised before they picked up the swords. They began an eight step sword routine that Link's father had already taught him. Link wondered if they would move him up from there, or if, because he was so young, they would keep him at that level.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. They taught Link their daily routine, and Captain Corbett prepared to add Link to the lookout rotation for the barracks. When the sun went to sleep they followed suit.

Link's bed was still in the same place. They didn't group squads together until later in the year.

When Link was in bed, ready to close his eyes and begin the next day of training, Taro started talking.

"You should've seen Blythe today, Link. She was glaring at you the whole time."

Link hummed. Taro must be talking about the girl he had a bout with that morning. He hadn't noticed.

"So you're with Captain Corbett's group, huh? I've heard about him. He may be short but he has a mean two handed technique."

Link had heard the same. In fact, he was eager to see if he could defend against it.

"When are you going to teach me how to disarm people like you do?"

Link shrugged, then realized Taro wouldn't be able to see him. "When we have time, I guess."

"How about right now?"

Link's eyes opened. He was never one to turn down any extra training time, but he'd be training less than he'd be teaching, and he wasn't sure he was up for it at the hour. Besides, "We have a curfew."

"So? When has that stopped you from getting up earlier than everybody else in the morning? Just because you're the Captain of the Guard's son?"

Link grit his teeth and swung his legs out of bed. He wasn't sure it was something he could even get in trouble for, but he hated it when people held things over his head. "Just be quiet."

They made it out into the training yard without being spotted. Not by anyone who cared, at least. They struggled to see in the dark, but Link managed to direct Taro well enough. By the time the moon was high in the sky, Taro was able to disarm Link a quarter of the time. It was much better than not at all.

"Alright," Taro panted, after attempting for the millionth time. "I'm done. I can hardly keep my eyes open any longer."

Link was having a similar issue, questioning why he was out there in the first place. "Let's go back," he said.

Taro nodded and followed him towards the barracks. They were almost there when Taro said, "Who's sword is that?"

For a moment Link looked around, wondering if someone hadn't hung up their weapon on a rack, but realized after a few seconds that Taro was talking about the sword at Link's side. He looked down at the Master Sword and frowned.

"Mine."

"It's too big for you." Taro watched Link, narrowing his eyes.

"I'm not ready to use it yet."

"Then why do you carry it everywhere?"

Link stopped. "Why do you care?"

Taro blinked, then held his hands up. "I don't, I'm just curious. You're the son of the Captain of the guard, you're crazy talented, you carry this mysterious sword around and you don't talk much... Can you blame me?"

He couldn't, but he wouldn't say as much. He just stared Taro down until Taro rolled his eyes and continued walking.

They had climbed back into bed and fallen silent when Taro whispered just loud enough for him to hear, "It's you, isn't it?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 404 32
A young girl named Thalia is found by Princess Zelda and her knight at the time, Link. Taken into the castle, Thalia has a choice to become a knight...
71.4K 1.1K 38
Princess Zelda, her trusty knight, Link, and her fellow champions of Hyrule go on a desperate mission to find and defeat Calamity Ganon. However, whe...
55.4K 659 46
《COMPLETE》 - Note: this series is under ongoing editing - Before the Calamity, there were no troubles to face, no hardships, and no sacrifices that...
6.4K 161 62
Time has passed. Hyrule is getting rebuilt. Zelda on the other hand is not quite sure what to do. She is no longer a princess, She's a queen with res...