Serendipity

By Meera_Sharma

Serendipity - Unplanned fortunate discovery. Naina Kapoor A 28 year old woman. Single mother to a 1 year ol... More

Serendipity
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8

Chapter 7

168 29 17
By Meera_Sharma

Waking up from another nightmare my eyes went to the wall in front of me to locate the wall clock and see time but instead of the wall clock there was a door in front of me. I looked around and that's when reality hit me hard like someone has poured a bucket full of ice cold water on me in the December winter morning of Delhi. I am married.

I looked to my left and saw Ridhaan and Agastya cuddling together while sleeping. Unknowingly a small smile came to my lips but my smiles, my happiness like always was shortlived. My mind is the biggest enemy of my happiness and smiles.

Coming out of my morning thoughts I looked at the time on the table clock on bedside table.

Its 4:30 am  and I sleep at 1:43 a m. Sighing I stood up from the bed placing a pillow on my place so that Ridhaan don't fall while changing position in sleep I walked into the walk in closet.

My luggage was lying in a corner in the walk in closet. Opening the small luggage I took out the plastic bag holding my toiletries and walked into the bathroom. Completing my morning routine and a shower I wore an oversized tshirt and sweat pants and walked back to the bedroom. I looked outside the large door separating balcony and the bedroom and compared my option of going to jogging outside or stay in the room. Although I want to go out and take in fresh air and prepare myself for the upcoming day but I also don't want to feel all awkward in going outside this room. This whole room, house, people, surroundings everything is new and very awkward to me.

Deciding to stay in the room only and complete some of the work I took out my laptop and some files and sat down on the couch to complete some work.

After almost 2 hours I noticed a little movement on the bed. I looked at the time. It was 7:33.am. I saw Agastya  stretching his body still lying on the bed. He turned to his left and looked at Ridhaan. Instantly a small smile covering his face. He wiggled his body close to Ridhaan who was sleeping on his tummy and kissed his forehead. Then his eyes travelled a little beside Ridhaan to the other side of bed and sat up on the bed. His eyes moving away from the bed and looked around the room and stopped on me.

"Good Morning." he greeted in his morning husky dry voice

"Good morning." I replied in my usual emotionless voice.

"When did you woke up?" he asked standing up from the bed.

"4:30" I replied for ing my eyes to the laptop.

"You just slept for 3 hours? Why? I mean was the bed uncomfortable or something?" he asked in a little panicked tone.

"I usually sleep less. And the bed was not uncomfortable." I replied not looking up.

"Oh." he said and after few seconds walked into the bathroom.

After almost 45 minutes he walked out of the closet dressed in a blue Faded slightly ripped jeans and black t shirt. Ridhaan chose the exact moment to wake up.

"Mumma." he called after sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

Putting the laptop on the table I stood up and walked towards the bed.

I sat beside Ridhaan.

"Good Morning Baby." greeted him.

He stopped rubbing his eyes and looked at me. Smiling he sat in my lap facing me and hugging me tightly.

I started. Rubbing and patting his back and he again started sleeping.

"Riddhu, bacha wake up." I said.

"Hmm. I am awake." he mumbled still hugging me.

After few minutes he opened his eyes and looked at the surroundings with a frown.

"Whare are we mumma? This is not your room or mine." he asked

I didn't knew what to say. Agastya chose the moment to bring Ridhaan's attention to him.

"This is our new room Ridhaan. You and your mumma would stay here from now on." Agastya said.

"Who are you?" Ridhaan asked and Agastya looked at me.

I don't know how to tell Ridhaan everything. I am scared of his reaction.

"He's your dad Ridhaan. Your father." I said after few minutes. This sentence made a shiver ran down my body. Ridhaan's father. What if Rohan was here? Would he have liked someone else being Ridhaan's father? Would he get angry at me for giving his place to someone else? The place of Ridhaan's dad, the place of my husband? This all would have hurted him.

But then if he was here then all this wouldn't be happening. We would have been a perfect family. Me, Ridhaan and Rohan.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Ridhaan's palm patting me cheek.

"Is he really my daddy, mumma?" Ridhaan asked with his eyes showing some kind of hurt and tears. I didn't expected this. When I thought of telling Ridhaan about Agastya being his dad I thought he would be happy. I thoughts he would be hug Agastya with happiness and joy after finding someone whom he call dad. But his eyes were filled with tears and hurt.

"What happened Ridhaan, bacha?" I asked while rubbing his head.

"I don't know mumma? Why did he came back so suddenly? Where was he till now? He didn't loved me. He was not there to play football with me when my all friends's dad's used to play with them. He didn't attended any father's day celebration in my school. You used to come on both father's day and mother's day. He was not there to take me to eat ice cream. He was not there when Gaurav snatched my Toya, he was not there when Kabir hit me. He was not there when you ghosts used to come in your dreams. He was not there when you used to cry at night. So whys he here now?" he said now tears flowing from his eyes. His words felt like someone has pierced my heart with a dagger and rotated the dagger by 360 degrees.

I never thought that Ridhaan misses a father personality in his life this much. I knew that he had question about the absence of his father but I never knew that this absence has created such a damage to his mental and emotional health. His questions has hurted me. I tried my best to be there for him at every phase. I tried my best to never let him feel the absence of a father. I tried my best to be a mother and a father for him but I guess I failed. I failed my baby.

I hugged him tight to my chest. My eyes met Agastya's blank eyes. I didn't knew what he was thinking?

When Ridhaan pulled away from the hug I smiled at him.

"We will talk about this later. First let's go and brush your teeth and wash your face." I said and Ridhaan just nodded.

I walked him towards the bathroom. Placing a stool in front of the sink I made him stand on the stool. Applying the toothpaste on his brush I handed it to him.

"Brush them properly. I am coming in few minutes." I said and he again nodded while brushing his teeth.

I exited the room and saw Agastya who was now sitting on the bed.

I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"R.. Ridhaan." I started saying but he cut me off.

"I think he needs some time to accept the new changes." Agastya said and I nodded my head.

"Please don't mind if he says something hurtful to you. He's just hurt from not having a father figure." I said

"Didn't you told him about his real father?" Agastya asked.

"He's toom small to understand things. I am afraid he would get hurt. It might damage him emotionally and mentally." i said and he nodded.

"Would he be okay with the other family members? Wouldn't he feel overwhelmed by the presence of so many people all of a sudden?" Agastya asked.

"I don't know. Let's see. I will talk with him later." I said

"Okay." he said.

I walked inside the washroom and found Ridhaan seating on the toilet seat.

"Done?" I asked

"Yes." he replied.

I gave Ridhaan a bath and made him ready for the day.

I walked out of the washroom. Agastya was checking some files.

"Now I have to get ready so you can sit here and do whatever you want" I said to Ridhaan

"Or I can show you the house. If you want." Agastya said.

"No. I am fine." Ridhaan said and I noticed that Agastya's smile wiped off from his face.

Sighing I walked inside the closet and started wearing a red shiffon saree. I did my makeup and combed my hairs. Spraying a little perfume I was ready to go out.

I walked outside the closet and found both Ridhaan staring at Agastya while Agastya was sitting on the couch still checking some file.

"You're looking different Mumma." Ridhaan said when he saw me.

"Good different or bad different?" I asked

"Good." Ridhaan said and stood up on the bed.

I looked at Agastya who was also now standing.

"You're looking good." he said

Not knowing how to react to the compliment i just thanked him.

"Let's go down for the breakfast." he said.

"Just a minute." I replied and put Ridhaan on bed while I saved my work I did earlier in the laptop and powered it off. "Lets go." I said and stood up.

He nodded and picked Ridhaan up and walked to the door.

I followed him and we climbed down the stairs together.

The living room was covered with sounds of people laughing and talking.

"Good morning everyone." Agastya greeted

Different voices with different greetings wished back.

I plasted a fake smile on my face and touched the feet of all the elders present in the room.

All the faces which were familiar yet unfamiliar to me. I awkwardly stood beside Agastya who was talking to  his elder brother.

But my awkwardness was shortlived because Agastya's dadi entered the living room.

"Agastya, Naina Ridhaan. You guys are here." She said with a huge warm smile.

"Good morning dadi." Agastya greeted

"Good morning dadi." I greeted and touched her feet. She patted my head and wished me back.

"Abhinav, go and wake your cousins. The breakfast is almost ready." She ordered the person with whom Agastya was talking to..

Soon atleast 10 people were already sitting on the tables but still many were walking one by one.

After every chair was filled breakfast started and so did the talks.

"Good morning everyone. Good morning bhabhi." I heard someone call. Everyone looked at the stairs and saw a man standing there in his early twenties.

"You guys already started without me? Everyone forgot me?" the boy asked with shock

"You are very forgettable." A girl sitting two seats on my left said making all the youngsters snicker.

"Shutup Chudail." the boy commented. "Shut up witch."

"Okay guys you gonna be quiet and eat your breakfast fastly. We have a lot of things on the schedule today." Mrs. Sharma ordered which made everyone quiet.

Everyone had breakfast and retired to the living room.

************
Before moving ahead here's the family chart of Sharmas.

Mr. Ram Narayan Sharma and Mrs. Indiravati Sharma - the oldest members of the family.

They both have four children, two sons and two daughter.

First and eldest son Mr. Raghav R.N. Sharma who is married to Mrs. Swati Raghav Sharma. They both had a love Marriage and have two sons together. Abhinav Sharma and Agastya Sharma.

Pranav is elder brother of Agastya and is a Orthopedic surgeon. Abhinav is married to Jiya Gupta Sharma who's a gynaecologist.

The second son of Mr. Ram Narayan Sharma and Mrs. Indiravati Sharma is Mr. Anupam R.N. Sharma who is married to Mrs. Neeta Anupam Sharma. They both have two children The elder Abhishek Sharma (22 yrs old) and the youngest member of the family Naira Sharma (20 yrs old)

The third and fourth children of Mr. Ram Narayan Sharma and Mrs. Indiravati Sharma are Mrs. Gayatri Upadhyay and Mrs. Anjani Kaushik.

***************

"Let's start with the rituals." Agastya's chachi (aunt) said.

Me and Agastya's were made to sit on the carpet facing each other.

"Okay firstly Naina you have to untie the knot of the bracelet on Agastya's wrist. And after that you hav eto do the same Agastya. You hav eto untie the knot of the bracelet on Naina's wrist." Chachi said

After the ritual ended a large vessel was bought which was filled with water and milk. Different things like coins, rose petals, stones were present in the water.

" Okay so I will drop this ring in the vessel. Whoever finds it first wins the game." bhabhi, Pranav Bhaiya's wife said

"Yay. Now comes the interesting part." Naira squeeled and clapped which made everyone chuckle.

"Mai toh bhabhi ki side hoon." Abhishek said which made me smile at him 'I am on bhabhi's side'

"Mai bhi." Naira said and sat beside me and Hi fied with Abhishek. 'Me too'

"Mai bhi Naina ki side hoon. Meri aur Jiya ki shadi Mein teeno rounds Jiya ne jeete the. I think women are good at this game." Pranav bhaiya said and joined the group behind me.
'I am also on Naina' s side. During mine and Jiya's wedding, Jiya won all the three rounds. '

"Jeetega toh Agastya hi. Mai toh Agastya ki side hoon." Bhabhi said
'Agastya will win. I am on Agastya' s side. '

"Phir toh bhabhi cheating kar sakti hai. Yeh galat Baat Hai. Game koi aur khilayega." Abhishek whined.
'Then Bhabhi can cheat in the game. Someone else would make us play.'

"Isme kya cheating?" bhabhi asked shocked.
'What cheating?'

"Nahi bahi nahi. Cheating nahi honi chaiye." Naira further commented.
'No guys no. There should be no cheating'

"Okay I will drop the ring" Chachi said and every member picked their sides.

Chachi dropped the ring in the vessel and mixed the water thoroughly.

"1,2,3 start." Chachi said and I instantly started searching for the ring. Agastya also started and finally after 5 seconds I found the ring and bought it out. My supporters cheered and started teasing Agastya 's team making me smile genuinely. After a long time I was enjoying something without any care of the world and past.

Chachi took the ring from me and again dropped it in the vessel and mixed the water.

We again started finding ring. This time it was a little difficult I was not able to find it. Some seconds passed and I felt Agastya's fingers touching mine which made me jerk my hand back but nobody noticed it except Agastya. I was lost in the thoughts when Agastya bought out the ring from the water. His team cheered while mine started sulking.

"Okay this is the last and final round. The scores are equal as of now and this round will decide the winner. Are you guys ready?" chachi asked.

"Just start it chachi." Agastya whined while I just nodded.

And then she dropped the ring.

Without waiting for her mixing agastya started searching the ring which made his team hoot and mine complain. I also started looking for the ring. My fingers touched stones, coins and what not but finally I found the ring and bought it out. Agastya also bout something out which turned out to be stone. Everyone laughtmed at him and clapped for me. My team started teasing the others.

"Okay okay guys so we have the winner Naina. Now Agastya make Naina wear this ring." Chachi said and handed the ring to Agastya. He nodded and asked for my hand.

I slided my left palm into his and he slid the ring into my finger. Everyone cheered and clapped. While Abhishek whistled earning a slap on his back from his mother.

"Next game Taiji." Naira said

"Okay so next game is between bhabhi and devar."

"Naina you sit on the couch and Abhi you have to sit in her lap. Naina will make him eat sweet and also devar gets neg from his bhabhi." Maa said. I nodded and sat on the couch feeling a little awkward while Abhishek started complaining feeling embarrassed.

"You have to do this ritual Abhi. This ritual indicates that Bhabhi is Maa saman for Devar."
'Elder brother's wife is like a mother to the younger brother.' Chachi said.

"Okay so instead of sitting in her lap I can sit near her feet." Abhi said

"Okay do that." Maa said.

Abhi came and sat on the ground near my feet and put his head in my lap which instantly made me smile.

This family is giving so much love to me. I didn't felt this much cared it such a long time.

A helper came with a tray of different sweets and showed me

"Which one do you want?" I asked Abhi.

"Uh. Kaju katli is my favourite." Abhi said looking at me.

I nodded and picked up a kaju katli and fed him. He ate the whole piece and smiled and started taking every piece of Kaju katli from the tray which made his siblings snicker.

"Bhuke jaanwar, Naina ko bhi khilade ek. Sab khud hi kha jayega." Bhai said...
"Hungry animal, atleast feed Naina something. Or you only will eat everything?"

"Oh kaju katli ke pyaar Mein Mai bhul hi gaya..." he said which made me chuckle.
'Oh sorry. I forgot everything in the love of Kaju katli'

"Here bhbahi." he said bringing one piece of Kaju katli near my lips.

I smiled and took one bite.

"Come one Bhabhi eat it completely." he said while I just shook my head in no beacue I was now tired of eating sweets.

He went to Agastya and said "Lo bhai aap hi kha lo. Aakhir shdi to aapki bhi hai." he said taking the half eaten piece near his mouth.
"Bhai you eat. After all its your wedding also.'

"Kha le Golu. Patni ka jhootha khane se pyaar badhta hai." Bhai teased him which made me feel the second hand embarrassment for Agastya...
'Eat it Golu. Eating wife's half eaten increases love.'

"Haan dekho bhai Experiance se Keh rahe hai." Abhi teased bhaiya which made him blush a little.
'Yes, see Bhai is speaking from Experiance.'

Agastya finally ate the sweet.

"Good boy." Abhi said and patted Agastya's cheek like he's a small kid. In return Abhi earned a puch in hi back from Agastya.

"Bhabhi mera neg." Abhi said looking at me.
"Bhabhi my gift?"

"I don't have anything for you as of now. But you can buy something I will pay for it" I said

"Great Bhabhi. We'll go shopping together tomorrow." he said with a huge grin on his face.

"Bhabhi nahi. Mana kar do. Yeh Insaan aapko thag lega." Naira warned with eyes wide
'Bhabhi no. Say no. He will waste all your money'

"Tumhari bhabhi koi aisi waisi chiz nahi hai. Inko lootna itna aasan nahi hai. Aur agar loot bhi liya toh Naina ko konsa farak padna hai. Naina has no shortage of money." Jiya bhabhi said.
'Your Bhabhi is not someone common. Looting her is not easy. And if he spent some money it will not affect Naina.'

"Yes. Tu konsa bhai ko nahi lootegi. Dwaar rukai ka tera neg abhi bach hai." Abhi replied.
'you're saying like you're not gonna loot Bhai. Your gift of stooping the couple at gate ritual is remaining'

"Aree Haan. Paisa hi paisa." Naira said looking at Agastya with a smirk.
"Oh yes. Money only money. '

"Naira, Abhi. Don't make them waste money on usess things." Chachi warned.

"Haan Haan mummy thik hai." Abhi said but anybody can tell that he's not going to listen his mom.
"Yes yes mom. Okay."

Ridhaan was looking at all the people with curious eyes.

"Hello Ridhaan, I am your Buha." Naira whispered to him sitting beside him.

He looked at her but didn't said anything which made the smile on Naira's face disappear. She found me looking at her and faked a smile.

Ridhaan is hurting everyone.

"Ridhaan don't disrespect people. I know this is all new to you but try beta. Okay. Don't disrespect anyone and be a good boy." I said and he just kept looking at me. This all is hurting me now.

"Ridhaan they are your badi dadi and bade dadu." Agastya introduced him pointing towards his Dadu and Dadi.

Ridhaan stood up and went towards Dadu and Dadi and touched their feet in respect.

"Be happy always. Have a long life." Dadu Dadi said and patted his cheek.

"You're such a good boy. Very good." Dadi said and handed him a chocolate which made Ridhaan smile and me sigh.

"These are your Dadu and Dadi" Agastya said pointing towards his father and mother.

Ridhaan touched there feet. Agastya's mom just patted Ridhaan's head with a blank face while Agastya's dad gave him a box of puzzle.

Ridhaan looked at me before accepting the gift and I just nodded with a smile so he took the box

"Thankyou." Ridhaan said and handed me the huge box.

"Okay Ridhaan these are your chote dadu and choti Dadi." Agastya said further pointing towards his chachu and chachi.

Ridhaan touched there feet and in return they blessed him and gave him chocolates which he put in his pocket and chachi hugged him tightly after kissing his forehead.

"He is your tauji and she's your taiji." Ridhaan touched their feet and they also gave them some game.

"He's your chachu." Agastya said pointing towards Abhishek. Ridhaan bend to touch his feet but stopped on hearing a dramatic yell from Abhi.

"Don't touch my feet buddy. I am so young. Just hug me." he said and bend down on his knees and hugged Ridhaan after doing a fist bump.

"This is your Buha." Ridhaan went to her and they hugged. After pulling from hug Naira gave him two chocolates and Ridhaan just kissed her cheek making her smile.

Aww my baby. He knew he hurted her.

"Agastya you have to take Naina and Ridhaan to Kapoor Mansion for Pagphera." Agastya's mom said.

We got ready and Agastya started driving towards Kapoor Mansion.

"Take a u turn. I'd only want to go to Kapoor Mansion. Instead let's go to my house." I said

"Isn't Kapoor Masion your house?" he asked confused.

"No I used to live at my own house." I said

"Okay." he said and took a u turn. I told him the directions to my house while Ridhaan looked lost during the Whole ride.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 168K 68
Highest Ranking: #1 in chick-lit for more than 60 days :) [Blurb] "I clearly warned you before the marriage, you can't treat her like this! you said...
1.3M 52.8K 48
What happens when in revenge you hack a system and ultimately it leads in your unexpected marriage?? Catch the story of Naina Sharma- The Hacker and...
618K 22.1K 49
"You know what.. You can't even imagine how much I hate you" Ayush said in irritated and angered tone "What happen ayush? Why are you saying this? Ti...
875K 43.2K 73
Naina Rao: She's a 22 year old engineering graduate. Loves to read books , write and is an intellectual thinker. Aspires to study AI in Canada. Lives...