It's a Long Way To Dearest Gr...

By ALorenaE

Camila, Luz, Amity, Hunter, Gus, and Willow return to the Boiling Isles to find things are a bit messy. Raine... More

Chapter 1: The Boiling Isles
Chapter 2: Hexside School of Magic and Demonics
Chapter 3: C.A.T.s Headquarters
Chapter 4: The Owl House
Chapter 5: The First Night
Chapter 6: Breakfast with Eda
Chapter 7: Briefings
Chapter 8: Making Home
Chapter 9: Castle Heist
Chapter 10: Friendship and Insecurity
Chapter 11: Rest
Chapter 12: Gifts
Chapter 13: Looking for Answers
Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship
Chapter 15: Return to Hexside
Chapter 16: The Golden Guard
Chapter 17: More Than Just a Dress
Chapter 18: Weekend Fun
Chapter 19: Meet the Parents
Chapter 20: Things New
Chapter 21: Firsts
Chapter 22: Preparations and Conversations
Chapter 23: The Night Before Everything
Chapter 25: Belos
Chapter 26: Endings
Chapter 27: Closure
Chapter 28: Recovery
Chapter 29: Healing
Chapter 30: One Door Opens
Chapter 31: Home

Chapter 24: Sacrifice

105 3 1
By ALorenaE

The friends stay out around the bonfire well after the adults are asleep, trying to push aside the very real fears that the next day could separate them forever. Gus and Willow lean against each other while Hunter occupies himself maintaining the fire and trying to roast a marshmallow without setting it on fire. Amity, Emira, and Edric cuddle close, stealing snacks from one another. Luz holds Amity's hand and tries to keep an eye on Hunter, hoping he'll say something if he's struggling, even though she knows it's likely he won't. Skara and Viney tell stories and draw them out of the others as best they can while making sure everyone has what they need in what Viney calls Skara's Snack Strategy.

Gus tosses a marshmallow at Hunter, "Roast me one?"

"Only if you want it burnt," Hunter replies, spearing it, "Remember...not that great at this."

"Fire's the way to go," Gus says, shrugging, "Just pass it to me like it's a torch and it'll be perfect."

"So...," Luz says, staring at the dancing flames, "When this is all over, what're you all gonna do? Got any big dreams?"

Gus shrugs, "Nah, just go back to school and maybe tell everybody I survived an encounter with a real-live giraffe in addition to having taken down a Palisman eating, witch destroying monster. You know, the kind of thing everybody does on a weekend."

Willow giggles, "I want to go back to flier derby," Skara and Viney cheer and Hunter smiles, "And I want to do some exploring in the human realm. What about you, Luz?"

Luz shrugs, "I'm not really sure. I kinda want to be here, I kinda want to go home. Maybe we'll find a way to do both."

"If King gives you some of his blood, you'll have a means to power a portal," Amity says, "it could work. Just wait until he's got a nosebleed and ask for the tissue after. Boom, portal power."

"Maybe," Luz says, "but I'm going to have to get better at building doors."

"We'll help," Edric offers, "Not only because we like you, but because I, for one, don't want to have to listen to Mittens pining for her 'dear sweet Luz' for hours on end."

Emira nods, "It'd be unbearable. And I'd miss the mischief you get us into. So you're gonna have to accept the help."

"I'd love to see the human realm," Skara says, "I want to see a giraffe, too!"

"They keep them in zoos!" Gus exclaims, "And they just...stay there."

"I want to learn about how humans do healing, and learn about the animals you have over there," Viney says. "Then I want to come home and kick butt with the Emerald Entrails!"

"Awww, you kept my name," Hunter says.

"Well of course we did, it's awesome and it'll inspire fear in our enemies!" Skara says enthusiastically.

"What about you, Amity?" Gus asks.

"Apparently I'm building a portal and pining over my girlfriend when she's not here," she quips, "But I don't really know about anything else yet. There's a lot to think about. The world might end up looking pretty different in just a few years. We don't now what'll happen. We don't know how the Collector fits into all this. And maybe I'm a little OK with just not knowing right now."

"Makes sense," Gus says.

"What about you?" Amity asks Hunter as he passes a stick with a flaming marshmallow on it back to Gus, "What do you want to do after all this is over?"

Hunter pokes the fire and adds another log, "I don't know. It's not like I had a lot of options before this all happened, you know? One parental figure...who's trying to kill me now. A forbidden Palisman as my first friend...and he's dead. Belos had my future planned out for me. I was just going to be the Golden Guard – he said the Titan had big plans for me and I believed him. There wasn't really room for dreaming, not until I ended up joining the flier derby team and met all of you. I learned a lot in the human realm, and I'm still figuring myself out."

"What about everything you said you wanted to do just before we came here?" Gus asks, "It was simple, but it was solid. Leaving the Emperor's Coven – well, you did that. Check, done! Play flier derby? Sounds like your team's ready and waiting for you, so that one's easy! Going go Hexside? You're on it! You've already set yourself some goals and you're nailing it. So I think you'll be alright."

Hunter nods and laughs softly, "Maybe. And maybe after tomorrow, I'll let myself dream. There was this thing I told Flapjack.... 'Even if I'm not who I'm supposed to be, I like who I am right now.' And I think it's still true, even if it's a struggle sometimes."

"We like who you are, too," Willow says, "That's why you're our friend. And we'll stick with you, no matter what you decide you want to do after."

His smile is a little sad, "Thanks, Willow."

The friends watch the stars and daydream about the world returning to some kind of normal. Skara and Viney head to bed after they've checked on Puddles, who is sleeping in a nearby rooftop garden. Gus dozes off first, heading inside when Edric and Emira rouse him after their heads start nodding. Luz and Amity head inside to snuggle not long after. Soon, it is only Willow and Hunter left in the garden.

She turns to him, "So...it's getting a little chilly. Want to head in, too?"

"I need to take care of the fire first. You go ahead."

She shakes her head, "I'm fine. I'll wait. And I know you're delaying." He smiles and shakes his head, "Yeah...you know I'm right. And it's OK. I get it."

"Thanks, Captain."

Hunter takes his time smothering the fire and watching for signs it won't relight. He knows this could be done with magic, but the ritual of observation is calming. When he is sure it is out, he walks over to Willow and offers her his hand.

"All done?"

He nods, "Yeah. All done."

She takes his hand and stands, stepping close for a hug; he kisses her cheek, "Let's go in and talk, OK?" she says. He nods again and lets her lead; she brings him to the comfort closet. They settle in on the pillows and he takes both her hands.

"Will...I'm scared."

"Talk it through?" she asks gently.

Hunter sighs, "You all talk about your future like it's a given that you have one. I just...don't know. The last time I saw Belos...."

"He possessed you and killed your best friend," she finishes, "and that makes this even harder."

"I don't feel like I'm going to make it out of this," he says, head bowed, "And what makes it even more awful is that I feel like it'll be even worse for you once he figures out how important you are to me. I'm putting you in danger, Will, just because I care about you so much."

She squeezes his hands, "I know. And that's a risk I'm willing to take."

"You shouldn't have to."

"I don't," Willow says, matter-of-factly, "I could walk away. I could decide it isn't worth it. But that's not me, and I don't want to. So I'm here, and yeah, it's scary, but...I'm strong and determined and I'm going to see that man turned into fertilizer, one way or another."

Hunter laughs, "Thanks...you're amazing, Willow."

She beams, "You're not too shabby yourself."

His expression turns serious, "Can I...can I tell you something? It might be a little awkward, but I kinda want to say it."

"Of course."

Hunter takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly, "OK...here goes. Willow...I love you."

She drops his hands and flings her arms around his neck, giddy as she holds him close, happy tears sneaking down her cheeks, "I love you, too, Hunter."

He beams, "Really?"

"Yeah. Really."

He rests against her, his thoughts messy as he tries to figure out what to say next. She kisses his cheek and he knows what to do.

"Can I be a bit...I don't know, down? ...serious? ...something like that, for a minute?"

"What's up?"

He sighs, "Well, being entirely realistic, there's a chance I won't make it through tomorrow. A big one. And if that happens...I don't want to go out with any big regrets. I know this might sound weird, or maybe like I'm just doing it because of the whole doomsday scenario, but I'm not. I swear."

"I know."

"Can I kiss you?" Hunter blurts, immediately blushing, "Don't say yes if you don't really want to," he quickly adds.

Willow giggles, "Yes, you may."

He takes a deep breath, "OK."

He hesitates and she takes his hands, "But it's also OK if you're not ready."

He nods, then gently presses his lips to hers. When he sits back, he doesn't know what to say; she leans her forehead against his and they sit quietly, holding hands, before she breaks the silence.

"Thank you, Hunter."

"Until this year, I didn't even think it was possible...so thank you."

Willow brushes his nose with hers and he giggles softly, "So...can I start the next one?" she asks.

"Next one?"

"Yeah. Can I?"

"Now?"

"Yep. But then I think I need to try to sleep, and so do you. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow and we need rest. But we can cuddle tonight, if you want." He leans his lips towards her in reply and waits; Willow plants a soft kiss on his lips and then hugs him.

"Let's go get some sleep, Captain."

They head for the bunk room and find that their friends have pulled the blankets and pillows from their beds into a nest on the floor, all of the teens snuggled together. Willow and Hunter join them, curled against each other.

"I love you, Hunter," she whispers as she closes her eyes.

"I love you, too, Willow," he whispers back. He watches her fall asleep and sighs, wishing he could stick to the plan. But he knows there is a good chance that Belos' anger at him will just make the fight worse and so he bides his time and waits until everyone else is asleep before slipping away to the closet, stopping to get his fresh clothes and his journal from the pile Lilith brought from the Owl House. There are thoughts he wants to put to the page before he goes into whatever is going to come. Flapjack's two small feathers are pressed between the pages, placed lovingly there when he first decided what he was going to do when they knew the final fight was coming. He sets a quiet alarm and lays down, hoping no one else hears when it goes off. He pulls his Golden Guard cape over himself as a blanket, wondering if his feelings for Willow will be recorded in its memories as he opens the journal and starts to put his thoughts on the page.

***

Hunter wakes when the sky is barely turning grey with the early morning light. He dresses and creeps back into the bunkroom, snuggling down beside Willow for a few moments. He places a soft kiss on her cheek and strokes her hair as she tucks against his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Willow. I just need to keep you safe and if this has a chance.... I love you." He drapes the Golden Guard cape over her, hoping she will forgive him. He slips away and takes one last look back at his sleeping friends, fighting the urge to run back to them. He walks to the pile of their belongings and tucks his journal in between Willow's clothes, Flapjack's feathers marking the page he hopes she reads. He sighs, gathers his courage, and heads for the front door.

He stops near the Palismen and gently picks up Clover, "Little buddy...can I ask a huge favour of you?" Clover crawls up his arm and settles in on his shoulder, "I need you to let me take you this morning. You can go back to Willow as soon as you drop me off a little ways from where I'm going, OK?" Clover buzzes lightly against his neck and he quietly laughs as it tickles, "Thanks, Clover."

Camila knows something is wrong the moment she hears the soft click of the front door closing. Still half asleep, she staggers from her bunkroom, hoping it was part of her dream, knowing full-well it wasn't. She stops in the bathroom and splashes cold water on her face before checking on the kids. She counts the people she can see in the snuggle pile and then checks the beds, her dread increasing as she realizes someone is missing. Before waking anyone, she steps out of the room and takes a deep breath. She walks back in and looks a little closer. When she realizes the Golden Guard cape is draped over Willow, her heart sinks to her stomach. She leaves the room and leans against the wall in the hallway for a moment, trying to keep from panicking, before silently searching the rest of the building.

When she can't find Hunter, Camila dresses and heads for the front door.

"Hey- what's going on?" Eda blearily asks, staggering out of the bunkroom, "I heard you moving around...."

"Hunter's missing. I heard the door and thought it might be just in a dream, but I've searched the whole house and he's gone."

Eda's eyes widen, "Oh my Titan...."

"I'm going to look for him,". Camila says as she tosses on her coat, "He can't fight Belos on his own."

"Do you think that's what he's trying to do?" Eda asks.

"Maybe. I don't know."

"I'm coming with you."

Camila sighs, "I can't stop you, can I?"

"Not a chance," Eda replies.

As Eda heads back to the bunkroom to throw on clothes, she runs into Darius, "Eda? You look far more awake than I'd expect at this hour."

"Look, there's been a...change in plans. Camila and I've got it handled."

Darius studies her, "No, you don't. What's going on?"

She shakes her head, "We're not throwing out the plan. We just need to go get one of the kids."

Darius' face falls, "Hunter went off on his own, didn't he?"

"Why do you think that?"

"Just tell me if I'm right, Eda...."

Eda sighs, "Yeah, you are."

He pinches the bridge of his nose and squeezes his eyes closed, "For Titan's sake...he's going to get himself killed."

"Not if we find him first," Camila says, joining them, "and that's what I'm planning on doing. So could we please hurry, before he gets too far?"

"And what if we can't find him?" Darius asks, "He's an expert scout and knows his way around both the town and the woods beyond it. His tracking skills are excellent, so he also knows how to hide - there were times he surprised me and you know how hard that is. I don't think we're going to just find Hunter if he doesn't want to be found."

"So what are you saying? We shouldn't try?" Eda snaps.

"I'm saying we're going to send out a search party with limited distance and time and if we can't find him by then, we're going to revise the plan fast and hope we can get to Belos before he does...or at least in time. And somehow, we're going to have to get word to King that we're coming earlier than expected." He sees the look on Eda's face and his shoulders drop, "Don't look at me like I don't care about this kid. I'm not delaying because I want to. I'd run out there and drag him back by the collar if I thought we had a chance of catching him fast. But I know Hunter's skills better than either of you. He's not going to leave us a trail to follow."

Camila nods, "Alright. Let's wake whoever you think needs to be a part of this, tell us how to do this search, and we'll go from there."

"If he gets to Belos before us...," Eda says, fear in her voice.

"I know," Darius replies, "And that's why we're not wasting time. Let's get moving." He hurries to wake others and conjures his little abominations to search with them.

The movement wakes the teens and soon, everyone at headquarters is dragging themselves out of bed. Camila, Darius, Eda, and Raine leave the building while the others get ready, taking turns in the bathroom, starting breakfast, and getting dressed.

Gus looks outside, "It's still dark out. I didn't think we were starting this early."

"I guess it'll be easier to sneak if we're in the shadows," Amity says, "But I don't think King's here yet?"

"Where's Mom?" Luz asks. "I haven't seen her yet."

"Or Eda," Gus adds, "Or Darius."

"Yeah, well he's one of our resident cooks, so I figure he's in the kitchen," Edric says.

Emira nods, "Raine, too."

"It just seems...weird," Amity says. "Something feels off."

"Where's Hunter?" Willow asks.

"Did you check the closet?" Gus says as he brings the pile of their clothes in, "He might be there."

She shakes her head, "He wasn't there."

"Why's the Golden Guard cape with the blankets?" Luz asks as she picks up their bedding from the floor and heaps it on one of the bunks.

Willow takes it from Luz, "I...I don't know."

"Well let's finish getting ready and we can figure this out after," Amity says, "Skara and Viney are out feeding Puddles, maybe he went out with them."

"Or maybe this is part of the plan we don't know about," Gus says, trying to stay optimistic, "You know, maybe to keep him safe, they're moving him or something."

Luz nods, "That would make sense."

Willow carefully folds the Golden Guard cape and takes it to their closet, gently laying it on the shelf. She hesitates – Hunter's concealment stone is sitting in the pillow where they'd left the cape. She places it on the shelf on top of the cape before she returns to the bedroom and finds her clothes in the pile. She finds the journal among the garments and looks at it, puzzled. Someone calls to her to take her turn in the bathroom and she hurries away, leaving the book on the bunk. She dresses quickly, brushes her teeth, and braids her hair. She jogs back to the bunkroom and grabs the journal, heart racing, as her worries build.

Willow doesn't hear the front door open as the formerly-absent adults return, her attention fully on the two bright red feathers sticking from the pages, "Oh no...." She opens the book to the place they mark and starts to read.

"Willow – I'm assuming it's you reading my journal, since I put this with your clothes. If it's not, please, make sure she gets this – these words are hers to read first.

"I'm sorry, Captain. I went against orders and left while you were still sleeping. I'm not going to let Belos use me against any of you. I'm not going to let him see how much you mean to me and to twist that to hurt you. I'm not going to let his anger about me, about all the Golden Guards I represent, about Caleb and Evelyn, endanger anybody. I hope you'll forgive me, whether or not I survive this.

"I don't think I'm going to, though. He wants me dead and he's going to try very hard to make sure it happens. I don't want you to have to see it. I don't want any of you to see me die. If I face him alone, it's over before you get here. If he possesses me again, don't hesitate. Kill me/him. It's what I'll be trying to do. If I can put him in the line of fire, I will. If I find him at the Head and can throw us off that bridge we fought him on last time, I'll do that, too. It doesn't matter how, but Belos will die, and if I have the chance to do it, whether or not he's taken my body, I will.

"Tell the others I'm doing this to protect everybody. Tell Luz she's my sister right up until the end. Tell Gus I'm always going to be with him and I hope he can hold the good times close. Tell Amity she's an incredible person and her mother didn't deserve her, Ed, or Em – they're all amazing and stronger than they know. Make sure when you get to the human realm that you tell Vee I love my little sister and hope she remembers me, even though the time we spent together was short. Everybody, you're my family. I only regret we don't have more time together.

"Make sure Darius knows I'm so sorry. I don't want this to be my only option, but...I hope I see the other Golden Guards in whatever death brings me, and if I do, I'll tell Ember he's never been forgotten. Thank Raine for their infinite kindness and understanding and for the warm welcome that first night back in the Boiling Isles. I know I didn't really say much, but it meant a lot.

"Aunt Lilith needs to know I forgive her for all the stuff that happened when she was a coven head and it hurts to say goodbye. Tell her that I want her to keep finding a way to unlock the memories in the cape – all of the Golden Guards had names, and they need to be remembered, not just the recent few. Make sure Steve knows he helped me find my courage and my voice and I wish I could thank him for everything he did for me, whether it was our conversations or even just lending me clothes that first night back. It meant everything to know he'd take care of me like that, even though I know I didn't always treat the scouts like I should have.

"I don't know what to say to Eda – just make sure she knows that I love her and I don't want to hurt her, but I hope she understands, even if she's angry right now for what I've done. And I'm so grateful for the welcome I've found in the Owl House. You opened your doors to someone who was taught to hate everything you are and you stand for. I'm so sorry for the harm I caused you when I was the Golden Guard. I didn't know any different. I was wrong. I'm glad you let me be a Clawthorne. Thank you.

"Camila's even harder. I'm so sorry, Mom. I love you. I wouldn't still be here without you. You gave me a life I could love and I will hold the feelings of peace from being a part of your family in my heart right until the end. There's just no way I can put into words all that you mean to me and I hope that alone says enough.

"And Willow.... I don't know what to write. I don't want to leave anything unsaid, but at the same time, I don't think words exist to share what you mean to me. I love you. I want to know what we could be. I want to grow old with you, if Grimwalkers can grow old. And I'm so so so sorry. If I could get down on my knees and beg forgiveness for hurting you like this, I would.

"I also ask your forgiveness for one more thing – I'm going to ask Clover to fly me there. I won't let her come anywhere near Belos, and I'll tell her to go back to you as soon as she drops me off. Please, don't be mad at her. She'll be safe.

"This is the only choice I feel like I can make.

"If he's still alive when you get here, please, make that bastard die however you can, for the Day of Unity, for me, for Flapjack, for every Golden Guard he murdered, and for Caleb.

"Thank you all for everything.

"Hunter."

Willow stares at the page, tears streaming down her face.

Amongst the bustle of the morning, Gus notices her silence first, "Willow? What's wrong?" But she can't answer him. He calls for his friends and they gather around, trying to figure out why Willow is clutching an open book to her chest and sobbing, heartbroken.

"Go get her dads," Amity tells Emira, "Something's really wrong."

Camila enters the room to see all the teenagers gathered around Willow. Harvey and Gilbert gently push past her and hurry to their daughter's side, but she can't stop crying long enough to tell them what's hurting her.

Camila walks over to them, "I think I know why Willow's so upset." All eyes turn to her, "Hunter left this morning before anyone was awake. He's gone. We can't find him. Darius, Raine, Eda, and I were out searching for the last hour."

Luz pales, "Oh my god, he's going to get himself killed."

Harvey sits down on one side of Willow, Gilbert on her other, "That's it, isn't it, sweetie?"

Willow manages to nod, sniffling and trying to speak through her tears, "Y-yes. He..he left a note." Her hands tremble as she brings the journal away from her chest, the two precious red feathers still tucked in the first page of the letter.

Amity sees the feathers first, "Oh no.... Those were Flapjack's."

"What does it say?" Gus asks.

"I can't...," Willow says, her voice trailing off.

Gilbert gently takes the book from her, "Let me."

"Wait a minute," Camila says, "We need to do this once. I'll get the others." She hurries to the other room and gathers everyone. They all come to the bunkroom. Gilbert looks to Camila. She nods. He begins to read.

When he is done, the entire room is silent, except for the quiet crying of Hunter's friends and family.

Darius speaks first, voice slightly shaking, "We need to get ready. He's got a head start, and he's not on foot. We don't know his route. But at the same time, he doesn't know where Belos is. We'll modify the plan, and we're leaving as soon as everyone can be ready."

"How?" Eda asks, "How do we modify it enough to keep him safe?"

"We can't. But what we can do is set out in waves. We stick to the paths we determined earlier. The first wave heads out on foot until we're out of the city, same as before. The second wave waits for King. When that information comes in, they'll head out flying to catch up with the first. We'll need a few of our fastest people staying behind. The hope is to catch up to the first group with Belos' location, then all of us take flight to try to intercept him. Either way, we head toward the castle and redirect to the Head if we find out he's there."

Raine nods, "I think that's what we have to do."

"So who's in each wave?" Alador asks.

"I'll stay behind," Gus says, "I'm one of the fastest on the flier derby team."

"We will, too," Skara says, gesturing to Viney, "Puddles is pretty quick, and so am I."

"I'll stay with them," Eda offers.

"Are you sure?" Raine asks, "You and Puddles were going to be the distraction from the air."

"And if we catch up to you, we still can be," Eda says, "The plan stays the same from then on out – the initial strike, the air distraction, and then the last charge to overwhelm."

Camila looks at the distraught group of friends around her and takes a deep breath; with as much resolve as she can muster, she walks to her bunk and picks up her bat, slinging it up on her shoulder, "Come on. Let's go make Belos regret the day he decided to stay in the Boiling Isles. You heard our orders: 'make that bastard die however you can, for the Day of Unity, for Hunter, for Flapjack, for every Golden Guard he murdered, and for Caleb.'"

She walks out of the room, hoping everyone else follows her. It's only a few seconds before Luz is beside her, a stack of little papers covered in glyphs in her hands.

She stuffs them into every pocket she has and then looks at her mother, "Ready for this?"

"No. But Hunter is in danger and I don't let my kids face monsters on their own."

"Exactly."

"There are many words in my head I won't say around other people's children," Camila says, "But know there are things I'm calling Belos that would make my mother turn six shades of red before she dragged me to see a priest."

Luz laughs, "Yeah...not gonna lie, I've got some of the same thoughts."

In the bunkroom, Gilbert and Harvey envelope Willow between them, "I'm so sorry, Willow," Harvey says, "This is horrible all the way around."

"Are you sure you can do this?" Gilbert asks, "You know nobody is going to blame you if you can't."

"Yeah, I can," Willow says, sniffling. She takes off her glasses and wipes her eyes. Harvey cleans her tears from the lenses and hands the glasses back to her. She reaches into the pocket on her t-shirt and pulls the little cardinal necklace from it, tying it around her neck. Gilbert hands her the journal. She tucks the feathers down in the pages, "I'm going to put this in the closet, so it's safe. I'll be right back." Harvey nods and she slips from the room. She places the journal on the Golden Guard cape, resting her hand on it a moment. She sighs, "I love you, Hunter, and I promise, I'm bringing you home alive, even if I have to tear Belos apart with my teeth." With that determination driving her, she leaves the closet and rejoins her family near the front door. She hugs the friends staying behind and heads out with the first wave.

***

The first wave has been gone for half an hour when King arrives at headquarters, "Where is everybody?" he asks Eda when she invites him in.

"Change of plans. We're going to have to catch up with them on the road. Hunter went off early this morning to face Belos on his own. He left a note – he's afraid Belos will use him against us."

"Oh...he's going to die."

"Exactly. So where is Belos so we have a fighting chance? And will the Collector help us?"

"They will. They won't kill him, because they haven't quite figured out how to make him stay dead. And they don't want to have to try to figure out how to contain him without killing him or risking him escaping – they say it's too hard to figure out how delicate or tough a being is. But they're still working on it."

"And where is he?"

"He's at the Head."

"Where at the head?" Eda asks.

King turns to Gus, "Remember where we fought him? That room where he had the portal door?"

"Yeah."

"That's where he is. I don't know why. It doesn't make any sense, but that place creeps me out. Especially knowing what's down in the chasm...."

Eda raises an eyebrow, "Wait, what's down there?"

"You mean below the bridge?" Gus says.

"Yeah...it's...bad. It's where he throws the Golden Guards. The bottom of it's just all these bones and their masks."

Eda stares at him, horrified, "Oh my Titan...did he guess Hunter might try to face him alone? Is that why he's there?"

Viney grabs her Palisman staff and heads for the door, "Let's go. I'll call Puddles. We've got to move fast."

"Agreed," King says, "Can I ride with you? The Collector's at the castle. They don't like being at the Head. Drop me off and I'll talk to them and meet you there."

Eda lifts him and flings open the front door, shifting into her harpy form as soon as she's outside, "Get your butts moving, kids. This isn't just a fight against a fanatical dictator who tried to kill us all. This is a rescue mission."

Gus is the last one out. He locks the door, hops on his staff, and surfs up to the sky to meet up with the others.

He crouches down and pats Emmiline on the head, "I'm going to need everything you've got, buddy – my brother's gonna die if we can't do this."

Emmiline speeds forward, passing Eda, Skara, Viney, and Puddles. Seeing him ahead of them, they push harder to keep up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.4K 783 16
What if Luz taught herself how to fight to defend herself against bullies. What if she had lightning powers that no one in the human realm knew about...
88 2 6
After moving out and leaving Gravesfield, The Noceda's need to adapt themself to their new home, but it's not going to be easy, after all it's not ev...
9.1K 159 15
Luz has went to camp and when she came back she didn't act any different, she still didn't get one friend so her mother (Camila) changed. She got agg...
26.3K 641 30
Hunter has given his whole life to the Emporers Coven, to Belos, to his Uncle. He always pushed through the pain and kept going no matter how hard it...