Memoirs of the Lost Loser

By sultryzucchini

Exhausted at her mundane life, you play as Phoebe Johnson, who hopes to find the romance of living in another... More

Foreword and Character Description
Fruit
If at First You Don't Succeed...
Crumbs of You
Lie so Low
Sign Off
Under Scrutiny
The Outsider
Ignorance is a Bliss
Haze in the Mirrors
Cracks in the Walls
Rainbow Before the Storm
Dignify it with a Name
That Time When the Mighty Got Nervous
Betrayal's Peak
Giving Up and Giving Way
The Loop and the Harbinger
No Cause or Consequence
Trust
Change of Fate
A Hero and Yet...
Bargain and Begging
Dancing with the Devils
Tattletale
Where your Loyalty Lies
The Other Side of the Door
Getting Naked

Truth Delayed is Justice Denied

5 0 0
By sultryzucchini

Even from Hange's office, you could hear the cries of the visitors.

The sun hasn't even risen yet and refugees have started to gather in the satellite town of Hermina. You heard the framework of the plan from Levi last night; a plan to capture Reiner and Bertholdt the soonest after they evacuated everyone due to a feigned breach.

Only for the fake breach to become an actual trespass.

You had a night to gather everything you needed: Miche's location, your drafts, mirror, a flair... all of them but one.

Oh, you have to snitch Erwin's telescope as well. Damn, you're busy as it is.

"It's weird," Hange's voice popped on the door, their lamp glowed on the gap of its hinges when they entered.

The footsteps suggested that Hange wasn't alone.

That's odd, you thought they'd be gone preparing for the capture now. Why are they still here?

You? Oh, you're not here to loot Hange's office. If you were being technically correct, you wouldn't use the word 'loot' because that would suggest that you're stealing something. In this case, you were only taking what is yours to begin with. That, being Marco's gear.

Well, it was Marco's gear which you modified and gave to the boy.

But it counts as yours. Again.

"I thought there would be more people to come." Hange's voice snapped you from your thoughts and brought you back to the reality of being squished behind Hange's door. You swore , if Moblit were to make it out of the Shiganshina showdown, you'd be down to offer help sorting things for your captain.

Hange just has too much stuff and not the good kind.

"The Garrison is in motion to investigate." Erwin's voice responded to your captain's comment, "There could be an element we are missing."

"Maybe we should talk to her again?" Did they mean you? "You know, Phoebe might be leaving out some details."

Oh, you did, but you're not gonna tell them that.

"I believe she already said everything she knows." Erwin said. You would have laughed. If you told them everything, your nails are the least of your concerns. You're gonna sound like Pastor Nick but crazier, and you might not even have your arms or skin next week. Who knows?

"And even if she did, I don't think she's going to tell us."

"Eh— why?" Hange's tone lowered to suspicion. "You think she's out to betray us?"

"No, no." Maybe it's too early to say, but Erwin answering on the negative made you smile. Really? He trusts you that much? You got curious how Erwin sees you now that you have this chance.

Rustling of fabrics and the yelp of the chairs against the floor filled the room. You cautiously adjusted your crutch, careful not to make any noise.

"I happen to think that our ignorance causes us to see her, an outsider, in a negative light. It isn't her fault that she thinks and acts differently, given she wasn't raised within these walls."

"But what if Johnson actually knows more than what she's telling us? Outside the walls— that would be believable, but a different... universe...maybe it's figurative?"

There was a chuckle. Erwin's.

Then a thump; a skin-to skin sound muffled by fabric.

"Then how do we explain the things she brought with her? I cannot confirm if she's telling the truth, but it's the people's bias that puts her in a bad light."

"Erwin, you have a good knack in reading people, but this could be one of your worst gambles. You can't get everything right all the time."

"Maybe, but she gambled her life to warn us about the female titan, she went so far to tell us the identity of the two. What is there to gain if she sold her friends to us? They're clearly not friends. You saw her records. No interaction with them until training. "

"But how do you explain that she just popped out of nowhere the same year the three shifters did?"

"But there were no interactions." You heard Hange groan. "She lived in the outskirts of Rose, her cabin's still there, shockingly. We see her perform sometimes at the plaza before. She worked where we usually get our lunch. I don't think she's an enemy at all."

"Besides," Erwin continued. You saw a fragment of a shadow enter Hange's office and it stayed on the door frame, just right where Levi could see you through a quick glance.

You adjusted your stance again to stay out of his sight. Standing with one leg and a crutch proved to be difficult.

Your rustles and soft thumps invited Levi's attention, making him stare at the gap of the door.

Fuck . Did he see you? You didn't move. Moving will only indicate that there is someone behind the door.

I'm a broom. I'm a broom. I am nothing but a nameless, lowly, retired broom—

He squinted his eyes to see a better look, and upon realizing he was staring at a person, he raised an eyebrow.

"It's not me that knows how to read people." You heard Erwin in the background.

"Erwin," Levi's neck eventually turned to their direction, yet his bewildered eyes were still fixed on you.

He crossed his arms, his form now leaning on the hinge of the door.

The space only got tighter when his weight pushed the door and squished you on the process.

Damn it, Levi totally knows you're here. Otherwise, captain bitesize wouldn't do this!

"How many villages are we expecting?"

"Two. Ragako and Dauper."

Levi clicked his tongue in response. "They don't look like two villages to me."

Shit. Zeke must've turned Ragako villagers to titans by now. You sighed, taking only a second to notice that Levi was staring at you through the gap of the door.

"Four-eyes," Levi looked away before giving his attention to Hange. "You've got a suitor."

Your stomach sank— is he gonna rat you out?

"Sir, please, I'll explain later. Don't tell them I'm here." You whispered in his ear.

"You said something?" Hange asked.

Levi paid you a side glance, and out of nowhere, Moblit's side profile appeared between the gaps of the door.

Oh, he meant Moblit. You quietly let out a sigh of relief.

"Commander, Squad leader Hange," Moblit started. "I have the census of the refugees. I found the number odd for two villages so I borrowed the copy. There's no Ragako evacuees."

The rustles of paper can be heard, followed by...

"Levi's right, there's too little for two villages." Hange commented, "Why would Ragako not want to evacuate?"

"Or something must've stopped them— Hange, send word to Miche. Have them survey Ragako. Bring someone who knows the place. Survey only. Do not engage. Moblit, assemble everyone in the mess hall."

"Yes, sir!" And Moblit left.

"You're... not thinking of an actual breach, aren't you?" You heard Hange's urgency reflected in their voice. "At a time like this? Isn't this too much of a coincidence?"

"You think Phoebe will rat us out?" It was Levi's turn to speak. "She's not even coming with us."

"Because she's not coming, that's why she thinks it's safe. Our targets could be out in Ragako right now."

"Their transformation's hard to miss. Might be the case when you're not wearing your glasses but you're not deaf now, are you?" Levi's words were humorous in themselves but his tone was almost a growl. You didn't know why, but you kinda liked how Levi was... defending you. Did he just defend you? You really shouldn't have said things to him last night.

"She's physically useless as of the moment, four-eyes." Okay, you take that back. "There's no way she can make it out in the field, let alone escape. Where in these damned walls is she going to hide?"

"Good point." You muttered, catching Levi stealing a glance in your direction.

"We can't risk her out in the field, Hange. We need her help." Erwin defended you too.

Erwin walked where you could see him, his calm, in control features against the lamplight somehow calmed you too.

"Hange, after that, prepare for offense. Are the preparations at the north of the wall ready?"

"It's done."

"Good. And Hange?" Erwin adjusted his sleeves, folding them just below his elbow. " Inform Miche. Levi."

Silence on Levi's side.

"I'll see you in my office at ten."

You looked away as they passed you by, and instead of feeling relieved that their footsteps are totally gone now, your stomach only turned when the door gave a scraping sound, the space of your hiding spots was suddenly roomier, and Levi's fingers held the edge of the door.

"Sir, you have to let me explain," You cautiously uttered, his unwavering glare fixed unto your scared ones. "I know this looks bad but it's not—"

"Ten seconds," He said without batting an eye. "You have ten seconds to explain—"

"I'm here because I needed something—" He didn't blink, not a furrowed eyebrow, not a frown, nothing. Somehow this unreadable expression was scarier than his usual annoyed or bored ones.

"I'm here to take some... some..." You took a deep breath, somehow, you were feeling faint under his hard scrutiny.

"Three seconds—"

"Sir please—"

"One—"

"Marco's gear!" Your eyes were closed, your tone was firm, and you didn't know when you had this courage to meet his gaze, until after you said those words.

"I'm here to take Marco's gear." You breathlessly said.

Heavy silence hung in the air, until Levi's footsteps echoed against this room. Hange's door creaked loudly, sparking every anxious nerve in your system.

There came the bold thuds from the wooden plank to bolt the door, and when Levi gave you all of his attention, there was no mistaking his expression playing against the licks of the fire.

Your body tensed at the unmoving anger in his tightened jaw, his half-lidded eyes told you he was getting exhausted of your charades.

"Sir, I'm not here to purposely spy on the three of you—" You flinched upon seeing his hand reaching for you.

Only for his cold, gentle hold to be a stark contrast to Miche's killing ones hours ago.

So he's not... going to hurt you?

You slowly opened your eyes to his fingers gently wrapped in your wrist, examining the bloodied bandage you neglected to change since Miche happened.

Blood pooled where Miche's fingertips were.

You slowly wriggled your wrist to get away from his touch, but his hold only became firmer.

"Who did this?" Levi muttered, anger tangled in his words.

"Me, I had an accident last night—"

" A name , Johnson." Levi wasn't even asking anymore— he demanded them.

"Are my wounds more important than the reason I'm hiding behind my captain's office door?"

"And you'd rather hide their identities than save yourself from the pain, meaning, they're close to you."

You rolled your eyes and bit the inside of your cheek. You have no time for this!

"Erwin's expecting you—"

"I'll make sure to put into words that someone other than us, was here—"

"I told you, I'm here for Marcos' gear—"

"And the question is why."

You paused to look at him. You get that he might be suspicious, but why would he worry about your wounds now? Doesn't he have better things to think about?

"And even if I tell you why I need it, will you help me?" You impatiently said— no, you impatiently seethed . He looked down, shutting him up.

"I thought so—"

"You think I can't help you because you saw me in that state?" Levi looked at you through his fringes, his like he was anticipating some kind of a response.

Of what?

"What state— oh." An honest one. He was talking about the one in his office.

"Levi, sir... there's nothing—"

"Eh, why is my office locked?" You simultaneously snapped your necks to the door, panicking when you realized that Hange was back in their office.

"I'm pretty sure Levi was the last person... Levi, are you there?" Hange called out.

"Hide! Back there!" He hissed, grinding his teeth while doing so.

"Levi? This is weird." Hange called again... "He hates my office— Levi?"

"I'll take that gear, and Hange somewhere and you sneak out. Meet me in my office." You quickly nodded, only for the words 'gear', 'Hange', 'out' and 'office' to register before you found yourself squished behind the door. Again.

"What's up, four eyes?" He breathlessly, and mind you, awkwardly greeted. You just found out that Levi isn't used to lying.

Somehow... you found that... cute . Too cute that you couldn't help but giggle.

"What's that? Were you with some—"

"That's the door you doofus. Your door hinges need some oiling."

"Really—" Hange was about to examine their hinges, but Levi slid himself against the door, understanding that one look in the hinges would mean discovering you through the gap of the door.

"Le..vi? What are you doing?" Hange was bewildered. Surely Levi is always the straight-laced among the veterans if Hange was confused seeing him like this.

"I forgot to tell you..." He cleared his throat, "I.. I think my gear needs some fixing but I don't have time to get it fixed. I think you have a spare?"

"Ah, I have Bodt's gear—"

"That!" He loudly declared like an impromptu orator who had a eureka while delivering his speech, only to clear his throat once again when he realized how random and out-of-character the exclamation sounded for him.

You tightened your lips to suppress the laughter.

"I might need that." There was a paused at Hange's part, until they nonchalantly said:

"All right. I'll get them for you. We'll leave together, Erwin wants me in his office too."

"What do they think? An actual breach?"

You heard rustles and clanks of metals; the tension of belts being tugged tightly, but never a response from Hange.

At least, not for a few minutes.

"Pyxis's coming upon short notice. Grandpa must really think there's a breach."

Hange tossed the gear, and soon enough, you were left inside Hange's office.

Alone, in a place where silence filled the room.

Funny, silence makes you realize a lot of things. Draws your attention to what really mattes.

You limped and it took what felt like a thousand steps from your captain's office, to his.

You've never taken so much time and energy by the mere act of walking. Your head was pounding, your thoughts all foggy, you've never eaten nor drank anything since the expedition.

And damn it, you were in a lot of pain.

And if it comes down to Zeke's throws and his army of titans, you might as well be a helpless fodder limping to your death, if he decided not to bite your bait.

A bargain with the devil, and pray he accepts it, you were sobbing in terror, the deeper the reality sank with whatever madness you're about to do.

The blanket where you laid for what felt like weeks ago, was still how you left it.

Levi was half suited up, his hands busy with the buckles of his gear, yet his eyes now on yours.

"The gear," He pointed with his chin, "Table—"

His hands were suspended wherever they were, his unmoving, nonchalant stance, all of his attention were yours.

Your vision got blurry, his figure danced in the water that filled your eyes.

"What happened?" That was all you needed, some kind of assurance that you won't be doing this alone.

Tears decided to show how vulnerable you felt to the man you've continued to deny. If it weren't for how helpless you look right now, you wouldn't do this, but if there's someone you could trust your life with, it's going to be

"Levi." You called, pausing to bite back your sobs before you burst into full-blown cries.

"Help me." You hitched a breath, letting one sob out before biting them back again.

***

I kinda went for Nami (one piece) on this chapter. I don't know, it reminded me of how Nami asked for Luffy's help in saving her village.

As always, thanks for reading.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 591 20
When levi and y/n reached their end point by a certain matter This story is inspired by the k-drama called "I have a Lover" but I'll put my own plot...
5.7K 158 37
Sora Johnson was a young girl destined for her own dreams. Her goal was to kill a certain someone, Erwin Smith. Due to a past event, that haunts her...
14.2K 402 59
Nº1 #Leviackermanxreader 14.01.2024 Nº1 #LeviAckerman 14.01.2024 Nº1 #Leviackermanxoc 14.01.2024 Nº1 #aotfanfic 20.01.2024 N°1 #levixoc 20.04.2024 It...
9.7K 218 50
"Listen to me. Life is cruel and unfair. It only gives you one chance, so don't fuck it up." ~ (Levi Ackerman X Reader) (Y/n) ha...