Dragoncarnation: Good or Evil...

By Kirriosa

So you know about dragons, right? Those big reptiles with scales that breath fire? What if I told you you cou... More

Introduction and Prologue
1: Huh?
2: Fire
3: Firsts
4: Family
5: Sick
6: Fight
7: Resistance
8: Words
9: Outside
10: Hunt
11: Tiger
12: Risk
E1: I have a secret
13: Questions
14: Answers
15: Training
16: Bear
17: Scratch
18: Counter
19: Food
E2: Emily's Day Out
20: Cooking
21: Eight
22: Sinking
23: Defiance
E3: A Normal Day?
E4: One Worry at a Time
24:Caged
25: Leash
26: Walks
E5: That day
E6: Yes and No
27: Insect
28: Corridor
29: Hiding
30: Escape
E7: Ever Growing Troubles
E8: Unexpected Guest Work
E9: The Escape Plan
E10: Release and Catch
31: Return
32: Appraisal
34: Wind
35: Thoughts
36: Foxes (I)
37: Foxes (II)
37: Foxes (III)
38: Foxes (IV)
E11: Let's Start the Hunt

33: Names

1.9K 100 87
By Kirriosa

A name.

A way of calling someone.

A kind of identity.

This human here wants to give me and all my siblings a name.

"Well?" Mari asks.

"Do you wish to die?"

I was startled to hear that echoing growl.

With a quick look around I see Farris.

He walks into the area with Ennith not too far behind him.

She has that wide, amused smile on her face.

What's she so happy about?

"So, you're the human girl Ennith brought in?" He growled out to her.

The air around starts to feel cold and heavy.

I tense up and start to shake.

I try to move but I...I can't.

Even breathing feels hard.

Skill Up!

「Fear Resistance」has reached Level 3

"Yes." Mari replied before giving a curtsey with her cloak. "My name is Ernamaria Von Saurtide."

Farris stares down at her with an intense gaze.

Skill Up!

「Fear Resistance」has reached Level 4

"See? Isn't she interesting?" Ennith chimes in peeking over his side.

"I can see why you're so interested in her." Farris huffs and turns his head to the side. "Very well. She can stay for now."

I feel my legs give out as the air around me returns back to normal.

Was that his intimidation?

That was much more intense than what I felt before.

Skill Up!

「Fear Resistance」has reached Level 5

I let out a sigh as Im sprawled out on the ground.

"Your mental strength is quite strong. Regardless, you won't be able to withstand naming wyrmlings with your current level of strength."

Eh?

"What do you mean by that?"

Yeah, care to explain that one?

What do you mean 'withstand naming wyrmlings'?

"You humans take names too lightly." Farris starts. "A name isn't something you use to simply call someone. It's a culmination of everything you are. Mind, body, soul, spirit; the very components that make one themself. All of this is held together by your name."

I blink a bit confused by what Farris is going on about.

This is a bit much for me to understand.

"Confused?" Ennith says. "Then here's an example."

Ennith holds up a claw and points at Mari.

"Ernamaria von Saurtide.... Fall." She flips her claw down.

"Aah!"

Mari suddenly drops onto the ground just barely catching herself with her arms.

She holds herself up for a second before fully falling flat onto the ground.

"What is this?" Mari grunts "Why can't I get up?"

"Hex magic, chain of dominance." Ennith says. "With a single word the target's body is forcefully taken control of and forced to obey. Its conditions are the target's name and strong spiritual control. After that, it's a simple battle of wills."

Mari tried to move but only remained in her current position.

"Oh? You can still squirm about." Ennith growls out. "Quite the persistence you have. Is your spirit that strong...or did I not call your name right? Either way this is quite amusing."

"Enough Ennith. I doubt you brought this girl simply to show me your puppetry skills."

Puppetry skills?

Ennith placed her claw down and Mari quickly pushed herself up.

"Now that you got an example of a name's importance, allow me to tell you the dangers of naming non-human creatures." Farris starts "When giving a name to a creature you need to take in a part of that creature's mana into yourself, then impart the same amount of mana from your body onto the creature itself. For monsters, spirits, and certain species this takes very little mana to do so. For Dragons, demons, and Astrals however, this involves a large amount of mana being drawn out."

He pokes at Mari's chest.

"Even one of the wyrmlings here would be nearly 5 times the amount your body currently can handle. In addition you'd have to give that massive amount back to the one you named." He gives her a couple taps. "Going through the process once would put your life in danger. That's not even counting if they accept the name or not."

"I wasn't trying to do something so grand." Mari starts.

"And yet that was exactly what you would've done. Unknowingly or not." Farris replied, pulling his claw back.

Oh geez.

Farris really is really letting her have it.

Still, I can understand where she's coming from.

Even I only know my siblings as numbers by our supposed birth order.

Still.

I glance up at Ennith and Farris.

Ennith seems to catch me looking and gives a small smile.

"Oh? Is there something on your mind?" She asks, lowering her head down close to my level.

"Is there really no way we can get names?" I ask "I mean, even you two have names. Why can't we?"

Ennith smiles before looking at me.
"Well, I suppose it's possible. If we have someone strong enough to give you all names." Ennith says.

Farris grunts "Ennith. What are you scheming?"

"Oh come now, Farris. It's been half a cycle since they've all hatched. They already can hunt for themselves and even have started breathing flames. I believe names are the least we can give them."

Farris looks at Ennith and her smile.
He glances down at me and then off towards the others.

"Hrmn. Very well. I suppose I can concede to this." Farris grunts. "Still we need to think about--"

"Great! I already have a few suggestions for names to give each of them." Ennith says.

Almost instantly she pulled out...well a stack of papers that reached right up to Mari's neck.

Trying to balance on my hind legs even then didn't put me at its height.

Geez, these are a lot of names.

"How many names are there?" Mari asks looking at the pile.

"Oh, not too many. At least 2000 total."

"2000 names total!?" She and I blurted out at the sametime.

"How many nights were you thinking of this?" Farris asked.

"Only 14. It got much easier once they all hatched." She says happily.

I don't know whether to be impressed or terrified by this dragoness' determination.

I guess I should be thankful.

At least now I can get a name for myself, and judging from how Ennith was talking about it, I get a say in my own name.

Nice.

I won't lie, I'm not the best when it comes to names.

I'm not horrible at it, just not good.
Well, given that the only names I can really think of right now are either super generic names or names of dragons and their species in media, it's pretty rough to say the least.

I don't think anyone will be scared of a dragon named Bob or Jim.

And I don't feel comfortable taking names like Bolshack, Seiryu, Shenron,or Bahamut.

Well I guess I'll know a good name when I hear one.

I scamper away from Mari, Farris and Ennith and head over to my siblings.

"Brother" Big Bro #1 asks. "What's going on?"

"It seems like Ennith and Farris are planning to give us names."

My answer...excites them?

Honestly, I was prepared for them to ask me about names, but they seem to know what they are already.

Well, one less explanation to deal with.

"So when are we getting them?" Little Sis #6 asks.

"I don't know." I answer "Considering that Ennith and Farris are deciding, it could take a while."

"Gather around children.~ we have something important to tell you.~" Ennith trills out.

"Or it could be right now." I deadpan.

Seriously, this she dragon.

I gather up along with my siblings and face Ennith and Farris.

"What's going on?"

"I heard we're getting names."

"I hope I get a good one."

"I'm so excited."

Everyone's growls and trills echo around the cave.

Everyone's excited for this.

Heck, I'm excited too.

My tail's been wagging so fast you can use it to fan yourself.

"Silence." Farris growls out.

His command echoes in our head and we all fall silent.

"Listen children. Ennith has decided to grant each of you a name. This will not only be a way to identify yourself, but also an important tool for you in the future. Make sure to remember them well and keep them hidden from all others, even amongst yourselves."

Well that's contradictory.

Isn't the point of a name so you can tell it to others so they can identify you?

"In this world, it's hard to know who you can trust, even amongst those you keep close. Always be prepared, for better or worse."

"Now then." Ennith quickly cuts in. "How about we start before Farris kills this joyous occasion with his brooding?"

And for better or worse, all the tension Farris made is gone.

No surprise, Big Bro #1 was called up first.

"Little Wyrmling. The name I've chosen for you is Baelvari Vulcolia Laggias."

Geez, that doesn't really roll off the tongue now does it?

That's for Big Bro #1?

What a grandiose name.

Still, hearing it does give me an odd impression.

I don't know how the words translate for others, but his name feels very hot and dangerous.

"It sounds great." He growls out happily before glowing in a soft hue.

Ennith smiles. "Then. I shall impart this name onto you."

Some kind of glow seems to leave off Ennith before circling Big Bro #1.

His glow grows stronger as the glow from Ennith leaves her and goes to Big Bro #1.

The glow quickly fades from him, lingering only in a soft ripple around his body, before vanishing.

Big Bro #1 looked at his claws.

"Baelvari." She says to him.

He lights up before looking up at Ennith.

"That's right. That's your name now."

"Bael...vari." He growls out slowly before smiling. "Baelvari. That's me right?"

He got real excited, real fast.

Well, I guess I can't blame him.

Getting a name as grand as that?

It'd be surprising if you weren't excited by it.

"Okay Baelvari. Move back." She says nuzzling his muzzle with her own. "I still have to name the others.

He laughed from her nuzzling.

Once he'd calm down he was nudged back into the group by Ennith's nose before she turned to the next one in the group.

"Next is you. Step forward."

Big Sis #2 was next up to receive a name.

One after another we were each named.

"Relitiesia Suric Giyono."

"Durianite Jeollojo Cray."

"Zelfeijoas Zap Gilclone."

"Palpitaya Vali Cyalto."

Big Sis #5, now named Palpitaya, quickly trilled happily, doing some kind of steps in a circle before nuzzling up to Ennith as well.

Just following the count next up would be...

"Your turn little one."

Me.

I stood up and, passing Big Sis, go up in front of Ennith.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves before letting it out.

"Okay. I'm ready."

"Are you now?" Ennith teased. "Well, I have one I think you'll enjoy. It should fit you well."

I can hardly keep myself still.

I feel so excited.

My tail wags more eagerly behind me than before.

"The name I've chosen for you is..."

I feel a sudden prick and shiver go down my spine as she speaks.

"Felsaneo Korotik Crysprit."

This name...

It feels all warm and soft, but also mysterious.

Like a being hidden in the fog.

Up until now I always felt this feeling of fire or heat with the names so far, but my name feels different.

Kind of missing.

not empty or vacant like but, not all there.

Still I liked the name itself.

It sounds nice, especially the 'Felsaneo' part.

I can't help but chuckle at it.

"Sounds cool." I answer back. "I like it."

"I thought you would." Ennith says "Then, I shall impart this name onto you."

As she says this strong glow comes of me and all of a sudden I feel something being pulled out of me.

This odd tingling feeling, is this my mana they were talking about?

I watch as Ennith's soft glow circling her joins my glow and the feeling of something flowing into me.

It felt warm at first.

then it felt hot and electrifying.

When it finally seemed to settle, I looked down to see the same soft glow around me suddenly fading away.

Were those lights mana?

And if so, does that mean it was mades visible for--?

"Felsaneo."

I look up at the call of my new name, just in time too.

My face was then nuzzled by Enniths.

She really went in with the affection.

Although, it felt really nice.

Kinda soft and comforting.

Like being wrapped in a blanket of warmth during a snowstorm.

Gah!

I shake my head as I come out of my daze.

That was very dangerous.

Was I hypnotized or something?

Whoa!

okay okay, I'm going.

Geez.

Mom can be pushy when she wants.

Back in place I listen to everyone else's name.

"Yangmeilan Vrielia Maheligex."

"Xayuzula Diganlo Helabi."

"Shilongan Chrona Delvore."

"Resalaki Nunulro Xenovio."

With the last of us, Resalaki, getting his name, nuzzled, and scooted back into the group, all of us had been named.

Frankly, nearly all the excitement had reached it peak as we each growled and got used to our names.

Hearing someone call us by that name was quite a blissful thing.

Although for most, it was hard to remember other names aside from their own.

"Felsaneo!"

I light up hearing my name.

Surprisingly it's from Big Sis #5.

Although, I should call her by her new name.

"Hi, Palpitaya." I growl back.

She lit up excitedly.

"You remember my name?"

"Yes...?" I growl back.

I remember everyone's first part of their name at least.

I'd need to check them again to figure out the rest of their names since they're so grandiose.

I can remember my full name at least, or it's more like I can't really forget it.

I motion over to our siblings one by one pointing them out.

"He's Durianite, He's Shilongan, Xayuzula is over there with Baelvari, Relitiesia is with Zelfeijoas and Resalaki, Yangmeila is over there...'' I then put my claw on her head. "...and your Palpitaya, who's with me, Felsaneo."

See?

I know at least their first names.

"You remembered everyone?" She says even more surprised.

"Yep." I nod with a smile. "How many can you remember?"

She hums before pointing her claw my way. "Felsaneo."

She then pointed at our oldest sister, Relitiesia. "Relitiesia..."

She then pointed at our eldest brother "Baelvari."

She then pointed at herself "Palpitaya."

I chuckle and pet her head.
"Good job. That's four of them."

She gives a small growl in response.
Ennith soon clears her throat to get our attention.

"I'm glad all of you are enjoying the names I've given you, but remember. You have to keep your names secret from others." She holds up her claws and pushed the space inbetween closer to each other. "That's why, your next task is to create shortened names from your current names."

So a nickname.

We just got our name and we're already doing nicknames?

"Does mom have a shortened name?" Resalaki asks

"Of course." She answers "its Ennith."

Ah.

Figures as much.

Guess they'd want to keep their real names a secret from everyone.

"Then what's your name?" Zelfeijoas asks.

Ah! You idiot!

Don't ask --!

"My name?" She starts with a smile.
"It's Zelphennithros."

She just told us?

What a strange...name...

...Huh?

I feel...sluggish.

"Ennith, you know your name pacifies those who hear it." Farris sighs out.

Eeeeh....!?

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Ennith replies to him with the biggest grin on her face. "Besides its only pacification, it's nothing dangerous like yours."

I hear a couple thumps as a couple of my siblings fall to the ground, looking more tired than before.

So...you did this...on purpose...

I try to stay awake but my legs give from under me and I'm forced onto my stomach.

Hrngh... st..stay a..wake...

Skill Gained

Felsaneo Korotik Crysprit acquired「Sleep Resistance」

Oh...

Yaaaaay...

Thanks for nothing...

You...stupid...she...dragon.

...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 11K 139
After falling to my death due to poor maintenance on a viewing platform over a ravine, I find myself having an audience with God. In return for my un...
4.6K 220 12
As an avid- but pretty unsuccessful- writer of fantasy fiction, I know that dragons are pretty much the pinnacle of existence. I dare anyone to argue...
104K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...
64.2K 1.4K 19
This is currently on hiatus, and also this story is utter trash ples stop reading this- You Died! You Were So Happy That You Were Finally Free From T...