Home Run to My Heart [The San...

By Twilight_Hime10

Katherine Smalls was twelve when she moved to San Fernando Valley with her father, stepmother, and younger st... More

Ch. 1 The Preface
Ch. 2 We wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood
Ch. 3 Is that a girl with him?
Ch. 4 Let's Play Ball!
Ch. 5 We can tell when we don't belong

Ch. 6 The Market

114 9 12
By Twilight_Hime10

Katherine and Scotty walked out of the Sandlot and onto the busy road. They stopped walking, waiting for the lights to turn red so they could walk the street to the nearby market to get some things for their parents and themselves.

As the siblings waited, Scotty turned his head to look at the Sandlot. His blue eyes widened when he saw Ham on the ground, unconscious with a bloody nose. Meanwhile, the other boys held Benny back, glaring at the other male.

" Did we, um, have to leave?" Scotty asked. He looked away and turned his gaze to Katherine.

Unaware of the debacle behind her, Katherine watched the lights, waiting for them to turn red.

" Yes. That asshole didn't have the right to body slam you." Katherine bitterly speaks. " You guys were playing Baseball. Not Football." She sneered.

Scotty lightly bites his lips since he doesn't know what to say. He turned his head back, and his blue eyes blinked when he saw Benny walking away from the group and heading in their direction.

" Hey, Kitty! Smalls! Wait up!" Benny shouts.

Katherine's green eyes blinked, seeing the lights turn red, letting her know it was time for her and Scotty to start walking. She briefly turned her head back and saw Benny approaching them.

" What do you want?" Katherine asked.

" Since we, um, live in the same block. I thought it was best to walk you guys home." Benny stood beside the siblings.

Scotty looked at Katherine and Benny.

" You know we don't know the way back, right?" Scotty looks at Katherine knowingly.

" Touche." Katherine annoyingly rolled her green eyes. " We planned to go to the market first to get some things for our parents and ourselves. Want to join us?" She asked.

" Sure!" Benny brightly smiled. " Let's get going before the light turns green." He motions the siblings to the street.

Katherine nodded.

Katherine, Scotty, and Benny walked across the street to the market. They got inside and grabbed two carts, one for the Smalls siblings and one for Benny.

" I'll also get some things for my folks and me." Benny smiled.

" You have money?" Katherine asked, looking curious.

" I do! I help my Dad and all my Tios with their gardening job on the weekend. I get twenty dollars an hour." Benny winks while patting his right pant pocket.

" What about you?" Benny asked.

" Before coming to this town, I would babysit children or animals during the weekend. I also get twenty dollars an hour." Katherine responded.

" That's cool." Benny nodded.

" Let's go find some stuff for home, Scotty." Katherine turns her gaze to Scotty.

Scotty nodded.

" See you at the cashier." Katherine waves goodbye and begins to walk away with Scotty.

Scotty waved goodbye.

" See you." Benny waved goodbye, watching the Smalls siblings walk away.

Katherine and Scotty walked through the aisle, getting vegetables, fruits, milk, and juice for their family. Meanwhile, they got snacks for themselves, such as cookies, chips, and Capri sun.

" Kat! Can I get that?" Scotty asked while pointing at the Fruity Pebble cereal.

Katherine turned her gaze and nodded when she saw Scotty pointing at the Fruity Pebble cereal. She watched her younger brother run toward the shelf but noticed he couldn't reach it.

" I'll get it for you, Scotty." Katherine walks toward the shelf. She tip-toed, but her fingertips barely touch it.

Footsteps approached the Smalls siblings.

" Let me get that for you." A masculine voice speaks, grabbing Katherine and Scotty's attention.

Katherine felt a body against hers, and her green eyes blinked when she saw a hand grab the cereal. She turned around and saw a twelve-year-old male with blonde hair and blue eyes wearing a Tiger baseball team jersey.

" Thank you." Katherine stared at the boy.

The boy looked at Katherine and smiled. " Here you go." He holds the cereal to her.

Scotty noticed Katherine staring at the boy, causing him to shake his head, and he took it. " Thank you, Kind Sir!" He smiled.

The boy looked at Scotty and nodded. " You welcome. You know. I haven't seen you two before." He looks at Katherine from head to toe.

" We moved to town today. My name is Katherine Smalls. He's my kid brother, Scotty Smalls." Katherine introduced herself.

" Cool. I'm Ryan Phillps. But, many call me Phillips" The boy introduced himself.

" Nice to meet you." Katherine nodded.

" Yeah." Phillips nodded.

" Well. Scotty and I, um, got to get going." Katherine shyly stared at the grocery cart. " Our parents are expecting us." She glanced at Phillips. " Thanks for the cereal." She points at the cereal in Scotty's grasp.

" Hope to see you around town. You know if you need a tour guide. Don't be shy to call me." Phillips pulls out a pen and then a baseball from his jersey pocket.

Katherine's green eyes blinked when she saw Phillips write something on the Baseball and hand it to her. She took the ball and saw that he had written his phone number and house address on it.

" That is sweet of you. And I'll think about it." Katherine softly smiled while taking the Baseball from Phillips' grasp.

Scotty looked at Katherine and Phillips with a gross expression. ' I think I am going to be sick.' He internally speaks. He looked at his surroundings and smiled when he spotted Benny about to enter the cereal aisle.

" Hey, Benny! We're here!" Scotty shouts, grabbing Benny's attention.

Benny turns his gaze, and his chocolate brown eyes blink when he sees Phillips with Katherine and Scotty. He looked at them with mixed emotions.

" Hey, Smalls. Kitty." Benny approached the trio.

Katherine turns her gaze to Benny and smiles at him.

" Hey, Benny. You finish your grocery?" Katherine asked.

Phillips turns his gaze and sees Benny.

" Phillips." Benny firmly greeted while having his cart stand between Katherine and Phillips.

" Rodriguez." Phillips' blue eyes intently stared at Benny's chocolate brown eyes.

" And to answer your question. Yes, I finish my grocery." Benny smiled at Katherine.

" You know him?" Phillips asked while looking at Katherine.

" Yes." Katherine nodded.

" He's our neighbor." Scotty finished the sentence.

" Yeah. I'm their neighbor. I was about to take them to the cashier since it's getting late, and we need to get going." Benny speaks.

Phillips wanted to say something, but he kept it to himself. His blue eyes blink when he hears his name. He knew the voice was one of his teammates.

" I should get going as well. It was nice meeting you, Katherine." Phillips looks at Katherine and smiles at her.

" It was nice meeting you too." Katherine softly smiled and waved goodbye.

Phillips waved goodbye and glanced at Benny, causing the two males to glare at each other.

Phillips looked away, put his hands in his pant pockets, and walked away from the trio.

" It was nice meeting you too." Benny mouth out. He shakes his head and turns around to look at the Smalls siblings.

" Shall we?" Benny points to the cashier.

" We shall!" Katherine nodded.

Scotty nodded. He watched Katherine and Benny walk towards the cashier. He hummed, looking at the two older kids with an amused expression.

' Benny was so jealous of that guy.' Scotty internally speaks. " Hey! Wait up!" He shouts and begins to run after the two older kids.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 6.6K 36
"I can never see you as my wife. This marriage is merely a formality, a sham, a marriage on paper only." . . . . . . She was 10 years younger than hi...
155K 5.5K 42
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
439K 11.5K 62
โspencer, all this week you've been holding my hands. what about your germ thing?โž โyou were more important.โž hazel finley is a liar. but she's a da...
776K 28.8K 103
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...