THE EYE THAT NEVER SLEEPS

By jmortiff

In this gripping mystery-thriller, immerse yourself in the world of high school sleuths under the leadership... More

PORTRAYERS
Disclaimer
Trigger Warning
The Eye That Never Sleeps
Unveiling The Central Figures
Chapter 1: The Ferocious Lion
Chapter 3: Inattentional blindness
Chapter 4: The Unbothered King
Chapter 5: The State Of Mind
Chapter 6: A Lie Will Remain A Lie
Chapter 7: A Paternal Affection
Chapter 8: The Immutable Truth
TETNS SQUAD
Chapter 9: Mind And Arrow
Chapter 10: Strengths And Weaknesses
Chapter 11: Words Behind Words
TETNS SQUAD A02
Chapter 12: Heart Filled Of Avarice
Tetelestai A03
Chapter 13: The Cloak Of Deception
Chapter 14: The Cloak Of Deception PART II
Chapter 15: From Victim To Villain: Unraveling The Nightmares
Tetelestai A04
Chapter 16: Whispers of the Heart
Chapter 17: Whispers Of The Heart Part II
Tetelestai A05
Chapter 18: Playing with Fire: A Deadly Game of Manipulation
Chapter 19: The Mind's Eye and the Lady with the Apple
Chapter 20: Perception's Illusion: Unmasking the Layers of Judgment
Chapter 21: Uncovering Crime: Investigating Motives and Psychological Drivers
Chapter 22: The Fury Within: Retribution from History's Grasp (Part 1)
The Crimefighters A06 (TETNS & TLAC)
Chapter 23: The Fury Within: Retribution from History's Grasp (Part 2)
The Crimefighters A07 (TETNS and TLAC)
Chapter 24: The Fury Within: Retribution from History's Grasp (Part 3)
Chapter 25: Let Your Tears Be My Rain
Tetelestai A08

Chapter 2: The Rich Pinocchio

2.6K 538 8.8K
By jmortiff

A/N: Sa pagsusulat, bawat saloobin at komento ay parang liwanag sa madilim na landas ng isang manunulat. Nagbibigay-init sa kanyang kaisipan at patnubay sa galaw ng kanyang pluma. Ang inyong mga salita ay hindi lamang mga tinig sa katahimikan kundi mga maliwanag na bituin na naglalakbay sa landas ng manunulat, nagtutulak sa kanya na tahakin ang kahabaan ng imahinasyon. Sa bawat komento, isang bagong himig ng inspirasyon at pampatibay-loob ang nabubuo sa puso ng manunulat, nagbibigay-buhay sa kanyang likha. Kaya't huwag kalimutang mag-iwan ng inyong komento sa bawat akda. Bilyong salamat!

Keep in mind that there might be some typos and grammar mistakes in the text. Don't worry, though - we're all human and these things happen! Just keep your eyes peeled and enjoy the content.

" Whether an individual is wealthy or poor, when he does something erroneous, it should not be neglected."

CHAPTER 2: THE RICH PINOCCHIO

ELLIE REIGN MORRIS

The weather was surprisingly cozy and pulchritudinous. The sun gives off a striking and brilliant light, and the clouds shaped like tufty pillows glide slowly across the cerulean sky. The sunlight makes my skin scintillate while casting shadows on standing trees, and also on their swaying branches.

Macraine and I went under a Pterocarpus indicus tree near the soccer field, and now I am treating his wounds. The good thing is that I'm Semper Paratus--- I mean, I'm always prepared. Palagi akong may dalang first-aid kit.

"I just want to ask, why are you oppressed by those false kings?" I quizzed, while applying povidone-iodine to his wound near the bottom of his eye.

"Maybe because they are angry when they see a well-favored and drop-dead gorgeous man," he answered facetiously.

I gave him a teasing and feigned disgusted look.

He laughed flamboyantly.

I guess I got the wrong impression on him. At first he seemed quiet but now he seems loquacious and naughty.

"The truth is that I don't know either," he continued. "I was just resting on the rooftop when someone pulled the collar of my shirt and punched me."

"Ah, they are dreadful! Did they just punch you for no reason?" I suddenly raised my voice and shook my head in disbelief. "Napakasama nila, wala silang kasing sama!" I added emphatically.

He cracked up again.

"Why are you laughing? May nakakatawa ba sa sinabi ko?" I asked in astonishment.

"I just chortle at your reaction. It seems that out of the two of us, you are more affected even though I am the one who got hurt," he answered back.

"But I am sincerely grateful because even though you have nothing against them, you still helped me." He thanked me with a pure smile.

Oh, I feel both my cheeks getting hot, and red like an apple.

He gently stroked my hair and granted me a captivating smile.

His smile was like a shining glimmer of sunshine that added even more light to this stunning day. His complete set of teeth was like white and precious gemstones. His hazel eyes were beaming, and his smooth skin shimmered with whiteness.

He is truly blessed because even though he has wounds on his face, his handsomeness is still dominant.

"Don't be unnerved because next time I will be stronger and more muscular like Hulk, and I will watch over and protect you," he said exuberantly as he showed off his unmuscled arms, and we both laughed out loud at the same time.

After I treated his wound and put a band-aid on it, ay tinahak namin ang daan patungong cafeteria.

The teachers had a faculty meeting earlier, that's why the students were free to roam outside. At dahil inabot na rin ng breaktime, sinadya na naming magpatungo sa cafeteria. And when we arrived at the cafeteria, there were many students there.

The cafeteria at Hawthorne International School is incredibly spacious and exudes the ambiance of a high-end restaurant. The lighting fixtures emit a warm marigold hue, adding to the luxurious feel of the space. The abundance of tables and chairs further contributes to the grandeur of the cafeteria, creating a truly immense and cozy atmosphere.

The interior is aesthetically pleasing, well-organized, and kept at a chilly temperature. Various delectable aromas of different foods fill the air within.

Some students are busy eating, some are busy talking, some are laughing, some are showing off, while others are busy reading as if the cafeteria has been turned into a library, and others are busy with their laptops and phones.

As Macraine and I walked to the counter area, mayroon din na ilang mga estudyante na sinusundan ang aming bawat galaw, making me uncomfortable.

And when I turned my gaze to the right side, I saw Asahina leaning on the desk. On her right side was Nijiro Hiyaschi sitting quietly, eating a familiar biscuit. They are in the second row from the counter area, near the air conditioner and water dispenser.

I can catch a glimpse of Nijiro Hiyaschi up close. He is an enticing man indeed. He has a mole under his left eye, and the placement is suitable, and his eyes are so mesmerizing.

His legs are crossed, displaying a sense of tranquility reminiscent of a serene ocean untouched by waves. He sits with an aura of peace, as though surrounded and protected by mighty and courageous angels.

If we are inside a book it is indubitable that he is the author's favorite.

Asahina saw me, waved at me, and gave me a joyous smile. Asahina's teeth glittered like shards of glass when she smiled, while Nijiro just gave me an unpredictable look.

I couldn't guess what he was thinking. He just looked at me while chewing a biscuit in his mouth. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung marapat bang ngumiti rin ako sa kanya kaya naman tinanguan ko na lang siya.

We're already in line at the Counter Area, and I'm wondering what I'm going to buy.

I faced Macraine who was behind me. "Anong bibilhin mo?" I questioned him.

He looked up at the menu. "I like chamomile tea with honey," he simpered.

"Research has indicated that chamomile tea can be advantageous in relieving sore throats and improving hoarseness. Adding a spoonful of honey to a serving of chamomile tea can be highly beneficial, as honey also possesses soothing antimicrobial properties," he provided an explanation.

He seems to know a lot, and it looks like he really needs to drink chamomile tea with honey because his voice is hoarse.

"Iyon lang ang bibilhin mo?" I asked him curiously, hoping that he would also buy something to eat, but he nodded in response.

Whilst standing in line, the male student ahead of us abruptly expressed dissatisfaction.

"Hey poor girl, you didn't pay me enough! 1000 ang inabot ko sayo at 250 ang halaga ng inorder ko pero ang isinukli mo sa akin ay 250 lang? Are you fooling me?" His voice resonated loudly similar to that of a horn, akin to a dominating master yelling without mercy at his subordinate. "You are an ugly, destitute girl and idiotic!"

All eyes turned to them and murmurs began to echo.

"Naku, pasensya na po. Hindi ko po sinasadya," the female cashier immediately apologized. "Pasensya na po talaga!" she repeated, expressing her sincere apologies.

Her appearance is slender, and she appears to have a pallid complexion. Her hair extends below her ears, and her complexion gives the impression of dehydration.

"Bago lang po kasi ako dito," her lips trembled as fear was evident on her face.

"What do I care if you're new? Is that your excuse for your idiocy?" He mocks and humiliates her.

Observing individuals displaying condescending behavior towards others incites intense feelings of anger within me. Remaining silent and turning a blind eye in such instances is a challenge for me.

So before the female cashier could hand over the 500 pesos to the man who yelled at her, I stopped his hand.

"What?" he asked with wide eyes that seemed to frighten me.

" BQ152590." I said dauntlessly.

He frowned as if he didn't know what I was enunciated.

"That's the serial number of the 500-peso bill you took," I said without faltering. "Your hands are fast, but my eyes are faster."

Tinanggal niya ang kamay ko na nakahawak sa kanya. Sasampalin na sana niya ako nang biglang pumagitna si Macraine.

But Macraine was like an empty suitcase to him that he effortlessly pushed away.

He cracked up, and he grabbed me by both collars.

"You are an ugly Pinocchio!" I spoke out derisorily.

"Do you want to die?" His face became serious. "Are you saying I'm a liar and a thief?" His teeth were chattering.

"Obviously," I intrepidly answered him.

"I have a photographic memory, and I also saw that you put it in the right side of your pants pocket like a whirlwind!" I added stalwartly while looking straight into his eyes.

His stature is imposing with well-defined features such as his prominent height and plump cheeks. His eyes bear a striking resemblance to those of a feline. His complexion appears unmarred by the sun's rays, implying a certain affluence. This assumption is further supported by the luxurious quality of the fabric comprising his attire, including the opulent timepiece adorning his wrist.

However, if he is truly affluent, what could be the reason behind his theft of five hundred pesos?

Indeed, when I mentioned having a photographic memory, I was stating nothing but the truth.

"Oh really, eh kung bulagin ko ang mga mata mo, sa tingin mo ba magkakaroon ka pa ng photographic memory?" His jaw tightened and he clenched his right fist.

I feel a surge of adrenaline coursing through my veins, causing my heart to beat rapidly, much like a powerful steed running wild inside me. Despite the overwhelming rush of emotions, I refused to allow myself to appear weak in his presence. That's why I didn't take my axe-like eyes off him.

Yes, I am afraid of what he might do to me, but I will not let that fear stop me from doing the right thing.

"Go ahead and try," a woman's bold voice prevailed, and I felt a sense of relief. It was Asahina. She was still leaning on the desk with her arms crossed. "And I assure you that you will regret it," she added threateningly.

I noticed that the man was startled by Asahina's threat.

It's really reasonable that she's here. She is like an angel who came from heaven, not fallen from heaven. Because Satan is also an angel who fell from heaven, and even though there are no female angels, I still analogize her to a virtuous angel created to protect individuals like me. While her comrade named Nijiro Hiyaschi doesn't seem to care about us at all, as he just stays seated, consuming the familiar biscuit, and calmly watching us.

How scrumptious is that familiar biscuit?

Asahina walked towards us and removed the man's hand that was holding the collar of my shirt.

She squeezed the man's Siopao-like cheeks and patted it.

I don't know which amulet Jackie Chan lent Asahina to make anyone she stands up against feel trepidation.

"Your father is a well-known businessman, so why would you steal five hundred pesos?" Asahina raised a question with a grimace.

She reached into the man's pants pocket and took five hundred pesos from it. ''Do you want to sully your father's name for five hundred pesos? That's humorous!'' She giggled.

"But I know that's not your motive," she persisted. "The first time it may be a coincidence, the second time it means it's inevitable, but when it happens again it's intentional."

Oh, so that means he has been doing this a few times, but why?

"Why are you interfering?" The Pinocchio gulped, but Asahina didn't respond.

Asahina read the serial number written on the 500 peso bill, "BQ152590."

"When rich people have nothing to do in life, they tend to play with the poor," she continued.

"If you're tired of seeing poor people, why don't you work here in the cafeteria?" she exclaimed, slapping the 500-peso bill on the man's forehead. "Most of the offspring of the rich lack attention and nurturing. What a pity!"

Inayos ni Asahina ang necktie na suot ng lalaki, and then said, "The next time you do this, I'll make sure you don't forget my alluring face in your memoir."

She patted both of the man's shoulders. "Get lost!" She added authoritatively.

And the man stormed off without saying a word.

"Are you disappointed?" Asahina faced me. "His father was a well-known businessman, and he was truly the son of the rich. You know what I mean?"

Tumango ako sa kanya bilang sagot. Naiintindihan ko naman ang ibig niyang sabihin at nagpapasalamat pa rin naman ako sa ginawa niya.

"At dahil lang sa anak siya ng isang mayaman at kilalang negosyante, okay lang na ipasawalang kibo ang maling ginawa niya? Is that what you mean?" Macraine said unexpectedly, at napatingin kaming dalawa sa gawi niya.

Macraine gazed at Asahina with a mocking expression, ''I was about to admire you, but the characteristics of your mind are unattractive.''

"How old are you?" Asahina appealed too. "You have been living in the world for many years, yet you still haven't figured out how human life twists?"

"Oh, Is that your logic?" Macraine replied. "No matter how little the amount someone steals, it can still be called thievery. Whether an individual is wealthy or poor, when he does something erroneous, it should not be neglected," Macraine added.

"He does that thing not to steal, but to get rid of people he thinks are inferior to him. He has done that several times, but he was not reported to the guidance office and ended up in jail. Firstly, because his parents are known to be rich and influential businessmen. Secondly, because his parents are one of the biggest shareholders in the school. And even if he takes ten pieces of 500 pesos, they can exchange it for a million dollars.

I can't condemn you if that's how you see life, but no matter how virtuous your ideology on life is, reality will still strike you. If you want to revise the world, start with the most powerful and influential."

I was about to reprimand both of them when a female student suddenly came to the cafeteria and caught our attention.

"Ma'am Ravena was found dead in her office!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with breathlessness.

Almost all the students who were in the cafeteria ran out, and I also noticed that Nijiro Hiyaschi stood up from his seat and walked in the direction out of the cafeteria.

"Hiyaschi, wait for me!" Asahina shouted, but Hiyaschi didn't even look at her and simply continued walking.

Asahina grabbed my hand and pulled me, so I grabbed Macraine hand and pulled him too.

TETNS

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206 5 32
"We all have secrets. It all comes down to how far one would go to keep them hidden." It isn't often you open your classroom door and find a bloody c...
169 16 10
It wasn't like any other day at school, for there was going to happen something you'd never imagine! Our protagonist, a sixteen year old Kenneth Murr...
11.2K 567 28
Everyone has their secrets. Colors they want to keep hidden. Aomine's life was simple. College. Bartending. No one to care too much about his colors...
15.5K 1.2K 57
(FEATURED) What starts off as a harmless pastime unfolds into a malicious game of cat and mouse when a teenage girl is slaughtered in the exact seque...