Memento Mori: Male Reader's D...

By gridcz1

This story is sequel to The Strict Phase, do NOT read until you read that book. It contains HUGE spoilers. Sy... More

Bio (first and last non-chapter)
Chapter I: School troubles
Chapter II: Famous parents
Chapter III: The Strict Phase
Chapter IV: Musician's beginings
Chapter VI: Parents to the rescue
Chapter VII: Fly away
Chapter VIII: Crack of voice
Chapter IX: Ship thieves
Chapter X: Vale arrival
Chapter XI: Shed incident
Chapter XII: Broken Heart
Chapter XIII: Let them know
Chapter XIV: Talking things over
Chapter XV: Voice changer
Chapter XVI: No regret
Chapter XVII: Band rivalry
Chapter XVIII: To your heart
Chapter XIX: Family matters
Chapter XX (Finale): Remember, you must die
New book out

Chapter V: Path to music

72 5 1
By gridcz1

*Sylvia's POV*

Me and the girls made homework in my bedroom, Alissa and Clementine both had stars in their eyes when they went in.

Alissa: "Your room's so huge!"

Clementine: "I can't believe my eyes... is this real?"

Vixen: "It is."

I was done with it already while Vixen was finishing up, Clememtine too and Alissa... she was in the middle of the homeworks.

Alissa: "Girls!! Please help!" She cried out.

We sighed and helped her so we could go to the studio...

Once we finished we went there meeting grandma carrying a plate on the way.

Kali: "Oh Sylvia... I thought you could take some snacks..."

Sylvia: "Thanks grandma... we could eat them right?" They nodded... I took the plate and went downstairs to the studio...

I could hear mom's voice from there... it really was so soothing...

Alissa: "Whoa a life performance!"

Velvet: "Oh you're here... so... Y/N?"

You: "I thought about some text to the lyrics of yours... Sylvia... do you want me to add it? Since you're the owner of the idea."

Sylvia: "Oh sure."

You: "Good... I added the stuff you came up with Vixen... it was difficult but sometimes life has to be challenging.

Alissa: "And what Mrs. Belladonna was just singing... was that-"

Velvet: "Just a random stuff... not your song don't worry."

You: "So... Sylvia... you're the singer right?"

Sylvia: "Yes dad, I am."

You: "You said you're having voice cracks while singing in front of everyone... does it have a reason?" Mom smacked him on the head. "Ow dear! What was that for!"

Velvet: "Hun... you should know that people expect a lot from Sylvia... since she's our daughter... especially when it comes to singing... so that is the reason am I right?" I nodded.

You: "Oh... of course. How could I forget. Well have you tried singing with closed eyes?"

Sylvia: "It's no point since I saw who's listening."

Velvet: "Hmm... I did hear you when you thought noone does... what do you usually  do when you sing?"

Sylvia: "I uhhh... am just listening to the music with my headphones on?"

Velvet: "Hmm..."

Vixen: "Maybe just do that... don't think about who might hear you... their opinion doesn't matter." mom and dad looked at each other kinda strangely...

Alissa: "Did she say something wrong?"

Velvet: "Well you're wrong Vixen... opinions of others do matter a lot... without others The Strict Phase wouldn't be as popular as it was now."

You: "Yes... I know you're trying to help Sylvia... but hey plus is if you will be like us and won't do concerts most of the time but make music in a studio then people won't listen to you singing live... so you don't have to worry about that."

Clementine: "Can you make it Sylvia?"

Sylvia: "I'll try my best... where are the lyrics dad."

You: "Oh right here." He gave me a completely empty notebook... only on the first two pages was text... and it seemed like the lyrics.

Alissa: "Try humming it." I did so... when I finished dad's and mom's jaws were open.

Velvet: "Did you just..."

You: "...hummed the whole song?"

Alissa: "We told you before."

Velvet: "Yes but it's something else when you only say it and when you actually hear it."

You: "Sylvia you have a special talent... not even your mom can do what you did."

Sylvia: "Really?"

Velvet; "However humming it and actually singing it is a complete difference." I looked down.

Sylvia: "I know."

You: "Velv, she's at least trying."

Clementine: "Sing it." I tried to but since I knew people hear me I got a voice crack.

You: "Again."

Sylvia: "But dad!"

You: "Sorry for forcing you but if you wanna be a singer you gotta overcome this... so try again."

I did... even though I was hesistant at first... I got another voice crack though it arrived later than before.

Velvet: "We won't judge you in this studio.. and nobody else can either if you'll be in a studio."

Vixen: "They're right."

Clenentine: "Try again." I did so... it was too much for me... I started crying.

Alissa: "Stop it... can't you see you're hurting her?"

You: "You're overwhelmd with the judges you got... clear your mind Sylvia... don't think about anything but the way you want to sing it."

Sylvia: "I-I'll try... but... later."

You: "Alright then... now since you'll try later how about that guitar lesson."

Sylvia: "Oh sure."

Velvet: "And we, girls can try to make the music what do you say?"

Vixen: "Actually... can I learn to play the drums?"

Velvet: "Drums? What happened to piano?"

Clementine: "We both can play piano... and I'm the better one."

Vixen: "Ha you wish!"

Alissa: "Stop fighting!"

Velvet: "You both say you're better than the other so... how about a little contest... me and Alissa here will be judges... you'll play one same song and who will have it worse will have to learn the drums."

Clementine: "That sounds great!"

Vixen: "Prepare to be defeated, Evrett!"

The rest of the conversation got muffled as I left the studio with dad. He brought his guitar and we made it to my room.

You: "So... first things first you need to learn the chords like A-dur, C-mol and so on."

Sylvia: "Alright. How do I start?" He took his guitar and placed his fingers on the top of the neck... and played.

You: "This is A-dur... remember how I'm holding the neck... that's very important."

Sylvia: "That's what determines the chords?" He nodded... then grabbed a piece of paper and drew some lines on it...

You: "Those are the guitar strings." He made a point in specific cases. "And those are where you should hold the strings in order to play the chord... and these are the most used in many songs... try some of it." He gave me the guitar... I placed the fingers on the neck just like it was on the paper.

Sylvia: "Like this?"

You: "Yes... now your second hand just plays it on the bottom." I did so... it made a specific tone... then I moved to another chord and it made a completely different tone. "You're doing great."

Sylvia: "Is it this easy?"

You: "Whoa you look confident."

Sylvia: "Well I am."

You: "Alright then... try playing and changing the chords from one to another... choose whichever you want to use."

I played the guitar... it was now way more difficult than before...

Sylvia: "It's too much..."

You: "Come on Sylvia... you call yourself a musician's daughter?" That made me stop... and I started crying because those words are exactly the same I heard back in school. "Why did- oh my Oum... I'm sorry I said that Sylvia I didn't realize."

Sylvia: "It's okay dad." I placed the guitar down... he hugged me.

You: "You're great so far... I think you might be better than me... some day that is... just keep practicing."

Sylvia: "Yeah..."

You: "Do you wanna try again?" I nodded, picked up the guitar and played again... the doors opened revealing aunt Blake.

Blake: "Sorry... oh Sylvia you're playing?"

Sylvia: "I'm just practising."

You: "Are we loud?"

Blake: "A little."

You: "Sorry, the studio is used by the others, they are making music to Sylvia's song."

Sylvia: "It's not only my song... I'm not doing it all by myself after all..."

You: "Right."

We stopped playing because of the noise we made.

I reunited with my friends and we had a snack together... after that they left home.

*2 weeks later*

It was time... dad planned on recording the song so I could send it to a music company for publishing. I trained on the guitar enough to play this song... I also practiced singing in front of people... I got shy still but at least I didn't get a voice crack... dad also bought me a guitar... it was black with white cats on the bottom.

I was in the studio playing and singing... Vixen, Sylvia, Clementine and mom behind me playing variety of other instruments.

(All credits go to Bank of Innovation)

I did it! I sang my very first song!

You: "That was... I'm speechless."

Alissa: "Whew... I haven't played on a flute like this ever!"

Vixen: "Thank you for helping us play Mrs. Belladonna."

Clementine: "And of course we couldn't do it without your lyrics Mr. Belladonna."

You: "No... don't give ME credits... it's all Sylvia... she had the idea... okay I made lyrics but you yourself Clementine said that without Sylvia's humming you wouldn't be able to compose the music to it." I blushed... and cried... but they were tears of happiness.

Sylvia: "D-Dad... y-y-you're giving me t-too much credit."

Velvet: "We're not... but I have a question... why did you say Memento Mori in the end... you know the meaning."

Alissa: "Yeah it got me a bit scared too."

Sylvia: "I promise there's no secret meaning behind it... I just like the sound of it... that's all... I mean the way it rings."

You: "I understand... well then... tomorrow you'll be able to go to a music agency and give them the song."

Sylvia: "Of course..."

Velvet: "I'm confident they'll accept it."

You: "You improved so much during those two weeks Sylvia. I'm proud."

Velvet: "Me too."

Vixen: "I'm surprised you managed to overcome that fear of singing in front of people."

Sylvia: "You guys... I'll cry."

Alissa: "You have the right to!"

Clementine: "What time is it?"

You: "Oh shoot, it's 7 pm!"

*VAC: "We're going to be late!"

The girls rushed away as fast as possible, while I and my parents went upstairs to eat dinner...

Blake: "So? How was the song?"

You: "It went great... I have no doubt they'll accept it in the company."

Kali: "That's awesome to hear."

*Next day*

It was there... after school ended I and the girls went to the company dad gave me adress to. I had the song on a CD all the time in school so we could go there right after it.

A receptionist there sent us to a waiting room after we told her that we're here to piblish our song... on my name.

Receptionist: "Belladonna huh? I have no doubt they'll reject it." she said..

Sylvia: "Okay that's mom, dad... even the teachers and now the receptionist."

Alissa: "I'm really confident now."

Clementine: "Me too."

Vixen: "Maybe you shouldn't be." We looked at her confused... her face was pale as she looked somewhere... I looked the same direction and saw a rather familiar face... but one of those that are unpleasant to see.

Alissa: "What are you saying Vixen?"

Sylvia: "You know... maybe we should find another agency."

Clementine: "What? Don't tell me you have second thoughts Sylvia."

Vixen: "Shhh... not so loud... guys do you see that guy in brown shirt?"

Alissa: "The one who's bald?"

Sylvia: "Yes."

Clementine: "What about him?"

Vixen: "He was our music teacher at the previous school."

Sylvia: "And he hated me so much because I wasn't singing... while as you know my parents are world-wide known singers..."

Vixen: "He overlooked Sylvia's bullying on purpose."

Alissa: "What do you mean?"

Sylvia: "He saw me being bullied, yet he didn't do anything-"

Vixen: "That's not quite true if you remember..."

Clementine: "I'm getting confused."

Sylvia: "Ah right... he sometimes joined in on the bullying..."

Alissa: "That monster! A teacher!"

Vixen: "What is he doing here? Did they fire him."

Sylvia: "I doubt they fired him... He probably left because I transferred to different school."

Alissa: "Wait, wait, wait... was he stalking you?"

Sylvia: "No..."

Clementine: "Everything aside? Sylvia are you sure you want to publish it from this company?"

Sylvia: "I have no other choice... this is the only music company on Menagerie... at least dad told me that... and that others are in Vale."

Vixen: "I see... well then..."

Announcer: "Next! Sylvia Belladonna!"

Sylvia: "Wish me luck!"

Vixen: "... here goes nothing."

Alissa: "You'll do it!"

Clementine: "I believe in the song." I stood up, gulped loudly and made my way towards the 'judging' room... nervousness written in my face.

I entered gulping again... all eyes were on me.

Ex-teacher: "Well, well, well... if it isn't Belladonna? So... you're here to release a song?! With your voice crack? Pathetic... you call yourself Belladonna..." I looked down

Publisher: "Hey don't be harsh on her okay?"

Ex-teacher: "I was her music teacher... she's a complete waste of time in music... you just give me the CD so I can listen.." He made an evil smirk... as he went to me... and whispered so nobody could hear "[We both already know you won't get it published...]" I looked down again... he was probably right... so this was all a waste of time...

He took the CD and placed it into some device... the music started playing...

Unfortunetaly it stopped after 30 seconds

Publisher: "Is this a joke? That's not singing."

Sylvia: "Please just listen further."

Ex-teacher: "[We heard enough, Belladonna! Leave now]"

Sylvia: "But-"

Publisher: "I'm sorry... but I can't publish this..."

Ex-teacher: "[We expected more from a Belladonna... what a joke.]" I was feeling strange... heartbroken and... furious at the same time... I just wish my ex-teacher died on the spot.

I glared at him and then left... my friends stood up immediately but stopped once they saw my expression.

Alissa: "What happened?"

Sylvia: "They won't publish it."  The doors behind me opened as the CD went flying... right into the back of my head.

Ex-teacher: "Oh and you forgot this here."

Luckily it didn't get broken and Clementine quickly caught it before it could fall to the ground.

Vixen: "I'll seriously murder that guy."

Clementine: "Was he like this back in the school?"

I nodded...

Alissa: "What even happened?"

Vixen: "You're not bleeding... it's good."

Sylvia: "Thanks Vixen... and well... I went in... that teacher mocked me... and then they listened to... only like 30 seconds of the song... before saying they won't publish it."

Clemine: "Did they now?" I nodded again.

Alissa: "They broke the rules... I heard that they should listen to at least two minutes of the song..."

Vixen: "Depends on the company."

Sylvia: "Well... it was just a waste of time."

Alissa: "Don't say that! You put part of your soul into that song!"

Vixen pulled out a scroll and called someone.

Sylvia: "What are you doing Vixen?"

Vixen: "Calling your parents... I'm sure they'd like to hear about this 'nice' hospitality..."

Clementine: "When did you get their phone number! I'm jealous!"

Vixen: "A long time ago... mom gave me their number in case she won't be available and something happened."

Sylvia: "How do I not know about that?"

Vixen: "Relax... I'm kidding... well particially... I did get their scroll number... but this one scroll is yours Sylvia... it fell on the floor so I picked it up."

Sylvia: "Oh alright. Hold on what?"

Mom's voice was heard when she answered the call...

Velvet: "Sylvia? How did it go?"

To be continued...

A/N: Hope you enjoyed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 143 17
Someone has been killing evil warlords, rapists, sex traffickers, terrorists, criminals and drug lords. His name is Edward Simons, who has the abilit...
299K 20.9K 156
Tác phẩm: Toàn thế giới đều đang đợi người động tâm. Tác giả: Tố Tây Người gõ: Mia của bạn nè Beta: Hoa Hoa của bạn đây Ý là truyện này gõ nhanh quá...
Conqueror By Jane Kim

Historical Fiction

5.7K 110 14
" Even if the woman of the whole world start screaming, they cannot match how much you're one whisper means to me"
269K 7.8K 133
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."