Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 21

1.2K 143 75
By NebulusCharlie

Wei Ying looked across at both brothers, and knew that despite the tension in the room, he and Lan Zhan had an ally now.

"I'm glad Lan Zhan has you as well, XiChen-Ge." He says, smiling brightly at the older man. "I mean…Lan Zhan has us too…but it's nice that you're okay with…" he glances nervously back at Lan Zhan.

"I'm glad he has both you and A-Yuan, too." XiChen replies, warmly.

"And speaking of that, we'd better go get ready for school. We can go to… that place…when I return." Wei Ying promises, smiling at both of them.

The brothers look almost identical, with the exception of two things: XiChen's eyes are slightly darker, like honey from wildflowers, not acacia. And Wei Ying feels absolutely nothing when they're standing side by side.

His attraction is one hundred percent directed at Lan Zhan.

He can feel it whenever he gets closer to the beautiful man, his heart seems to want to fly out from the restrictions of his ribcage, as though that's the only obstruction in its path.

And where would it go, if it was free?

Why, straight to Lan Zhan, of course!

There's no easy way to explain this strange feeling, except that it feels very wholesome. And right…somehow.

Wei Ying doesn't need it explained. It's enough for him to go with the flow; and Lan Zhan feels the same. That's a big deal, and goes a long way to making Wei Ying feel so much better about entering into a relationship with Lan Zhan.

He can't believe they slept together, either.

It feels as if that might be something someone else would do!

And yet…taking that step felt so right, and Wei Ying feels great about it. Lan Zhan is an attentive partner and made him feel so, so good, especially as it was his first time. He likes to think that it was good for Lan Zhan too, and it must have been, because they came together more than once.

"Is Baba alright?" A-Yuan, beautiful sweet kid that he is, checks Wei Ying’s forehead because his face is flushed, thinking about his boyfriend, and not being able to say anything about it.

His soft, pudgy fingers are cool against Wei Ying’s warm skin, and Wei Ying laughs awkwardly about it, taking A-Yuan's hand and planting a kiss in his palm.

"Are you worried about me, my lovely little Radish?" He's laughing, but it vanishes when A-Yuan nods.

His grey eyes fill with tears and Wei Ying gathers him up in a tight hug.

"Oh my! You've been worrying about your Baba all this time? I'm so sorry, my darling A-Yuan!" Wei Ying smiles as A-Yuan hugs him back, his short soft arms going around Wei Ying’s neck like a vice.

A cute vice, because A-Yuan isn't that strong…yet.

It feels good…better than just good, and it's just what they both need right now.

"I'm alright, my beautiful bun." Wei Ying whispers, next to his little ear, giving it a tiny kiss.

This too, feels monumental.

Every time A-Yuan hugs him on his own, without any prompting these days, it just feels so special. Hugs are so important and every time they do it, Wei Ying does not feel so alone any more.

It feels nourishing.

And it warms the cockles of his heart every time he thinks about this: for a long time, there was no one to care if he lived or died…and now suddenly, there were more people joining their little family, almost daily, and it was the best feeling in the world.

But best of all would always be this kind, sweet soul, ever ready to shower him with love. Wei Ying wasn't even sure how it was possible to love someone this much, but maybe what his mother had told him all those years ago was true: if a heart truly wanted to love, it managed to grow more love simply by getting bigger.

"Baba crying?" A-Yuan looks worried again.

"Happy tears, sweetheart, happy tears. Sometimes, the happiness doesn't fit inside and it comes out like this." Wei Ying wipes his face with his sleeve.

"Baba happy…" A-Yuan doesn't sound convinced.

"Yes, my love! Because you make me the happiest."

This produces a chortling laugh as A-Yuan holds out his hand for a high five.

Wei Ying attacks quickly by giving him that and two cheek-squishing kisses and a little bit of tickling, as he bundles A-Yuan into his coat.

They're on their way to the door when A-Yuan pulls his hand out from Wei Ying’s with a shout.

"Baba! I forgot!"

He runs back into the kitchen and hugs Lan Zhan’s legs.

Lan Zhan turns around from the sink and pulls off the yellow gloves. He bends and gives A-Yuan a proper hug.

"Have a great day at school, okay? And if A-Yuan is a good boy, there might be a surprise waiting for him, when he returns later." Lan Zhan cannot help looking at him in the softest way. He's just a bundle of love.

So precious.

A-Yuan nods seriously and kisses his cheek shyly.

"A-Yuan will be the best boy!" He promises.

And he turns to XiChen.

"Uncle…would you like a hug, too?" He offers, with that innocent surplus of affection.

XiChen is shocked enough to crouch down, and hugs the boy tightly.

Lan Zhan feels quite smug.

A-Yuan is their secret weapon.

Wei Ying leans against the doorframe, watching them. He has the biggest smile on his face and suspiciously wet eyes.

"I'll be back soon." He promises.

XiChen grabs a teatowel and begins to wipe the dishes that Lan Zhan has resumed washing.

They work in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, and then Lan Zhan puts away the plates and utensils XiChen had accumulated on one side.

"Have you thought about the future?" XiChen suddenly says, when they go to sit down in the living room.

"What do you mean?" Lan Zhan asks.

He doesn't want to be tense…but it happens anyway.

He can smell XiChen's changing emotions too, though not as strongly as Wei Ying’s. And thankfully, it's just a concern, for now.

"Well, from what you've said, I take it that going outside is a no-no?" XiChen looks around at the closed curtains, pointedly.

"Yes and no." Lan Zhan says, carefully.

There are things he still wants to talk about, while they are safely ensconced within his mind, things that he has yet to make sense of.

"Meaning?"

Again, there's just curiosity.

"I've noticed things…when I've tasted Wei Ying’s blood." He says, finally.

It's not exactly the kind of thing usually discussed with one's elder sibling…and Lan Zhan can't meet his eyes. He doesn't even know why he's embarrassed.

"With consent?" XiChen sounds worried now.

"Yes, afterwards. It kind of just happened." At his questioning look, Lan Zhan explains about the time Wei Ying cut himself and Lan Zhan "helped". That was on Sunday, two days ago, and then this morning. "At least two drops this morning." Lan Zhan adds.

"And you say you don't feel hungry afterwards, especially with his blood?" XiChen is lost in thought.

"Mn. I think one drop of his blood equates to one day…but time will tell. I have yet to tell Wei Ying." Lan Zhan says, quickly. "With my own, the hunger didn't come back for a few hours, depending on how much I had."

"Don't worry, Didi, I won't say anything." XiChen reassures him. "It's something interesting, though."

"Mn."

"I was thinking about your job." XiChen says.

"Obviously, I will give up the Instagram one. And I can work from home in the daytime. I also have my savings." Lan Zhan reminds him.

"But I want you to know, I'm here for you too. Not just as your Xiongzhang…but I mean, financially too. If you need anything at all. And perhaps you shouldn't be hasty about giving up the influencer job. I think there might be a way around it. It all depends on what you want to do about your…situation." XiChen says, making himself more comfortable.

"As in?"

"As in, do you want to keep your condition a secret?"

"I think it would be for the best, don't you? It would be naive to assume everyone would be as accepting as you are, and we don't want to start a panic. Perhaps we should investigate the attack first, properly." Lan Zhan cautions.

"Whatever you want, I fully support any decision you make, whether now or in the future, even if you change your mind." XiChen reaches over and pats his knee.

"Actually, I was thinking about changing up my content…on Instagram. I wanted to make a cooking channel. Something that leans towards healthy eating, which promotes and aids weight loss. I don't think taste has to be sacrificed in order to eat a high protein diet." Lan Zhan admits.

He knows full well that in the past, his ears would have given him away.

He's always been cautious and unwilling to talk about his own interests, and ideas. He's always done what he thought and only talked to Uncle and XiChen after they were relatively successful.

"But Didi…can you eat what you make? Won't that be your first hurdle?"

"Actually…I was thinking of having someone help me…and of course, they can be the official taster. If we need footage of me actually chewing, I can spit it out later, off camera. Editing will take care of the rest." Lan Zhan had a small smile on his face.

"That's a great idea, Didi! You could even do stitch videos on TikTok. That might be the best way to get noticed, by pairing yourself with famous chefs. I see great potential." XiChen gave him two thumbs up.

The door opened behind them and XiChen realised that Lan Zhan had known Wei Ying was coming because his gaze was trained on the door.

"Shall we get going, XiChen-Ge?" Wei Ying comes in, smiling at both of them. "I have about half an hour before I have to get to the Coffee Carousel."

"Sure. I'll just use the bathroom and then." XiChen excuses himself.

Lan Zhan leapt over the couch and was all up in Wei Ying's space in a matter of seconds.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying was out of breath just by that vision.

Lan Zhan was suddenly so capable, so athletic and so goddamn hot.

He looked up into golden eyes already blazing with need.

"Wei Ying left without a goodbye kiss." His tone was accusatory.

"But Sweetheart…your brother…and A-Yuan…"

Lan Zhan swallowed his next words with well placed lips fused to Wei Ying’s, his hands fastened to his hips and pulled him closer, so that he was flush against him. Lan Zhan couldn't explain it to himself, where this burning need had suddenly come from. He only knew that from the moment he saw Wei Ying, he had to have him.

Wei Ying moaned and jumped up into his arms, only to have Lan Zhan’s huge hands planted on his backside, holding him up.

Mentos in coke, that's what this explosive kiss felt like. An all consuming fire that ripped through his body like a volcano. Wei Ying was holding Lan Zhan’s face in his hands, deepening the kiss until they were both dazed. He could feel his heart jackhammering in his chest like a chimpanzee on drums.

The polite cough from behind them had Lan Zhan pausing, an apology in his amber eyes.

"Later." Wei Ying promised, as Lan Zhan gently lowered him so he stood, albeit on shaking legs.

"Shall we go?" XiChen said, pleasantly. He squeezed past them to put his shoes on.

"I'm coming with you." Lan Zhan suddenly says.

Both Wei Ying and his brother turn to look at him.

"But…what about the sun?" Wei Ying asks, genuinely worried.

"I have a theory and I want to try it out." Lan Zhan is adamant.

It hasn't even been that long since the sun burnt him, but he desperately wants to prove something. And the only way to do it, is to actually go outside while it's daylight. He doesn't want to feel that kind of pain again, but at the same time, he's feeling antsy.

All of his life, he's been able to go out whenever he wanted to; and to be suddenly banished from that…it was a crippling feeling.

The walls in Wei Ying's apartment felt as if they were closing in on him and the only way to stop this feeling was to go outside.

"What theory?" XiChen asks him.

Lan Zhan throws him a warning look.

"We can talk about it later." He replies cryptically.

"Okay…if you really want to try it out….it should be quite easy." Wei Ying digs into his pocket and pulls something out. "I almost forgot. I got this for you." He shyly grabs Lan Zhan’s hand and puts something cold into it.

Lan Zhan’s eyes widen when he realises what it is.

And how momentous it is for Wei Ying to give him this.

It's a keychain.

On one side is a picture of Lan Zhan’s bunnies (when had Wei Ying snapped a picture of them?) and on the other side was the picture of all three of them, Lan Zhan, A-Yuan and Wei Ying, making funny faces at the camera.

And there was a key attached.

"So you can come in and out whenever you want to…you don't have to wait until someone is here." Wei Ying explains, smiling brightly. "I should have done it earlier…"

Lan Zhan pulls him into a tight hug.

His throat is too tight for any words to come out, and he cannot cry anymore. It's frustrating because he still feels and now he has no outlet for them, no way to release all these emotions.

Wei Ying squeezes his waist lightly, too conscious of XiChen standing by the door. His lips are touching Lan Zhan’s neck and he repeats again, "later." This word is for himself too.

And there never seems to be enough time in the mornings.

Lan Zhan kisses the picture of them and slips the key chain into his pocket.

They come down the stairs quickly.

There are two outer doors to protect Lan Zhan from the outside.

Both XiChen and Wei Ying go out first, but Wei Ying waits by the door. He holds his hand out for Lan Zhan, who is struck by the very real sense of Deja vu. He remembers doing this before…

But something has changed, and he can feel it, being so in tune with his body now.

So Lan Zhan takes Wei Ying’s hand and steps out into the sunlight.

Nothing happens.

And he wants to jump up into the air!

He was right!

Wei Ying gasps, not quite believing it. But Lan Zhan is right here, and not in any apparent discomfort…so what changed?

There is no good time to talk because people are waiting with them at the bus stop.

But Lan Zhan can tell that Wei Ying is dying to ask him questions. Their hands are joined and Wei Ying keeps squeezing them, trying to get his attention. Lan Zhan refuses to cooperate because he, too, is reeling from this newest revelation.

The bus is packed and they have to stand.

The nice thing about it is that when the bus driver brakes sharply, Lan Zhan has already got his arms around Wei Ying so he isn't jostled unnecessarily. But Lan Zhan thinks he could teach this guy a thing or two about driving…

"Does Xiongzhang have to go into work today?" Lan Zhan asks him.

XiChen shook his head.

"No…I took a personal day. But my car is parked in the parking lot behind Love Bites…if it hasn't been towed yet."

"It might still be there. Su She is much nicer these days." Wei Ying snickers.

Lan Zhan is really happy about this. His lips find the top of Wei Ying's head and he kisses the soft hair, marvelling at its texture and scent. All of Wei Ying is delicious…in a non-bitey way.

One stop later and all three get off the bus.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan lead the way to the alley.

The graffiti has changed.

That's the first thing Lan Zhan notices, and he tells them. XiChen goes closer.

"The paint smells fresh." He remarks.

"Do you think kids…or something deliberate?" Wei Ying asks.

In the daytime, this place isn't as secluded as the night. They garner more than a few curious looks.

"Where did you find…." XiChen asks, his eyes glancing at his brother.

This whole place and what happened to Lan Zhan…it is truly horrific for him. To think that someone could attack his baby brother and then leave him to bleed out? How cruel was that?

XiChen took a few cleansing breaths before following the other two further into the alley.

"XiChen-Ge!" Wei Ying sounds panicked.

XiChen hurries forward.

"What is it?" He asks.

"This is where…where I found Lan Zhan. But someone has cleaned the blood away!"

********

A/N

Dear Beautiful Readers,

Sorry it has taken me a longer time to get back to this book. Our dear Lan Zhan is truly to blame for that and plus the New Lunar year as well…but here you go! I hope you enjoy this update.

I'm off to go finish Attorney Woo…

And I look forward to reading your theories on why Lan Zhan can suddenly go out…hehe.

Charlie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 7.9K 33
WARNING: This story has spoilers for the show, Novel, And spinoff movie The Living Dead. A/N: I might chance character's personalities (specificall...
14.5K 2K 72
Wei Ying and Lan Zhan must step up to the new challenge that awaits them when they find something that was given to them in secret. What is it, and w...
309K 19.5K 33
A blood-thirsting encounter with a vampire alpha prince. Wei Wuxian was living a normal life as an omega then, poof! His life turned into unexpected...
23K 1.6K 5
Wei Wuxian was chilling and minding his own business when Lan Wangji mistook him as a homeless man. Lan Wangji then took Wei Wuxian under his wing...